X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

One approves (if only for the verbiage):

And look! They wrote the whole ad just for you!

ha brilliant. never read the words of these things.

rear garden ... providing the keen gardener with plenty of interest
    you can just imagine the potential man of the house exploring the back garden with a magnifying glass and harrumping with joy, in between puffs of his pipe, on the discovery of a particularly rare plant imported during the previous owners Congolese Grand Tour.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Get the last few years of statements, might give you a few clues.
      Yeah - that might be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ha brilliant. never read the words of these things.

you can just imagine the potential man of the house exploring the back garden with a magnifying glass and harrumping with joy, in between puffs of his pipe, on the discovery of a particularly rare plant imported during the previous owners Congolese Grand Tour.
        I do like the tone of equivocation that creeps in:

located on the elevated section of Putland Road, arguably one of Bray s most sought-after addresses
        'Arguably'? I don't want no stinkin' arguably!
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Slightly strange to see a house with only one jacks these days. I guess people did less shitting in the 1920s.

Comment

And he's a twat. So it's (a) funny and (b) nice to see him hoist on his own petard.
            They really have some despicable politicians. Not just despicable politicians, but despicable people also. Boris, Hancock, Gove and Patel are absolute bottom feeders. And they only scratch the surface.

Our lot are absolute saints compared to them IMO. Even the Shinners.... kinda

Comment

More importantly today was spent fitting in ten or so suitable homes for sale in Bray into a Google Maps walking circuit, and expending 24,000 steps to visit them all and admire or disparage them from the outside.

It seems its quite easy to wipe out 80% of candidate homes simply based on exteriors. One home managed to not have a footpath, so every exit of the house would involve legging it across a road with cars screaming around two hairpin turns on either side. Other homes were clearly the 50-year-old hooker at the 50-year-old hooker party that had had a recent boobjob and felt that meant they no longer belonged to the elderly hooker club. That included one home selling itself as an upmarket abode where most of the neighbours seemed to have caravans in good working order in the back garden and heaps of broken down cars. Other houses, a surprising number, their most admirable external features turned out to be camera tricks.

In the end, we felt there was two candidate homes, and in a surprise turn, the runaway fav is 200k under our mortgage approval limit. A reasonably bogstandard estate house, but in a nice looking estate (near Boghall, which aside from a horrible name for a place, seems to have some highly dodgy areas, but the estate is away from the dodgiest of areas). The other is a bit more of a budget buster on the lovely Parnell Road. Lets see how it works out.

Bray has some amazing houses. Lovely architecture that really looks unique. Putland, Herbert, Parnell roads.

One that didn't make the final list, but which we'll view next week anyway, as its maybe a contender, if not for the size, is this. What thoughts would anyone have on this place?

Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Bray, Wicklow. Search 28 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

Urgh, never get the point of fireplaces in the bedroom, that's always a big no no for me.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                Urgh, never get the point of fireplaces in the bedroom, that's always a big no no for me.
                My guess is that's because it's a 1920s house and they needed fireplaces back then for heat.

Comment

635k is a lot for a pretty snug 3 bed. In Bray.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                    635k is a lot for a pretty snug 3 bed. In Bray.
                    Not much room for adding to upstairs either unless you can do the attic. Not having an en-suite when kids hit teenage years would probably have me jumping off Bray Head.

Comment

Bray has excellent infrastructure in the sense that all the basic services are available locally
                      and terrific access to Dublin using any transport.

That said, it is nevertheless a commuter town.
                      In no sense can your children reach school
                      without an adult providing assistance
                      and you yourself work at the other side of Dublin.

Spending that kind of money on a property
                      that falls so far short of your primary needs
                      seems crazy.

Comment

If being close to the sea is a tick box what about Donabate?

Guessing your € will go a little further there.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          If being close to the sea is a tick box what about Donabate?

Guessing your € will go a little further there.
                          The issue is the kid's school in Foxrock, which we are stuck too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                            Bray has excellent infrastructure in the sense that all the basic services are available locally
                            and terrific access to Dublin using any transport.

That said, it is nevertheless a commuter town.
                            In no sense can your children reach school
                            without an adult providing assistance
                            and you yourself work at the other side of Dublin.

Spending that kind of money on a property
                            that falls so far short of your primary needs
                            seems crazy.
                            Shit poem,
                            doesn't even rhyme.
                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Dutch look like Czeching out here.

That Malen miss one v one is going to be costly.
                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Todays walk set out from the Sunday market in Dun Laoghaire, where we started with some laughably overpriced crap near the town centre. And then set out towards Sallynoggin. It all seemed grand, but nothing particularly notable - loads of very small places, we must have gone through a phase of building 85sqm houses. Then we were passing from Sallynoggin to Deansgrange to view the last place and happened, through a shortcut, across Honey Park, one of these newbuild areas. It looks quite spectacular. We were destined for slightly simpler things and ended up at this slightly intriguing place full of question marks:

Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. Search 21 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

What do ye think? This way lies madness???

It would be the development potential and location.

Comment

Some weather out today. You'd wonder why twitter keeps collapsing over dining indoors given how nice it is out. They'll still keep all these outdoor areas after covid is done, or its a special dispensation they have? Creates a really nice feel to everywhere to have everyone out.

Comment

Some weather out today. You'd wonder why twitter keeps collapsing over dining indoors given how nice it is out. They'll still keep all these outdoor areas after covid is done, or its a special dispensation they have? Creates a really nice feel to everywhere to have everyone out.
                                    I parked up at The Hole in The Wall earlier for a run in the park and the outdoor dining/drinking looked really enjoyable.

You do need weather like today though.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The issue is the kid's school in Foxrock, which we are stuck too.
                                      Well, you're actually not.

It's a choice you've made, one you could easily unmake.

Comment

BBQ'd whole sea bream. Epic.

Comment

Todays walk set out from the Sunday market in Dun Laoghaire, where we started with some laughably overpriced crap near the town centre. And then set out towards Sallynoggin. It all seemed grand, but nothing particularly notable - loads of very small places, we must have gone through a phase of building 85sqm houses. Then we were passing from Sallynoggin to Deansgrange to view the last place and happened, through a shortcut, across Honey Park, one of these newbuild areas. It looks quite spectacular. We were destined for slightly simpler things and ended up at this slightly intriguing place full of question marks:

Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. Search 21 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

What do ye think? This way lies madness???

It would be the development potential and location.
                                          Amazing potential as you say but the price tag is eyewatering considering you're gonna have to spend another 200k to completely renovate it inside and extend out to back and side. New kitchen would be the first thing you'd need as soon as you move in anyway. That's so small you'd have real trouble cooking a decent meal.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Buy this gaff in turnkey condition and send the kids to King's Hos instead: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...lin-20/3189391
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Well, you're actually not.

It's a choice you've made, one you could easily unmake.
                                              meh. sometimes something is just a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                Buy this gaff in turnkey condition and send the kids to King's Hos instead: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...lin-20/3189391
                                                they're going for Cell Block H chic. I like it. I'd say those houses are pretty amazing inside though. The bro got a similar type of one, bit smaller, recently and these newbuilds are so much better designed. Just a brilliant use of space.

Comment

meh. sometimes something is just a thing.
                                                  Your kids would be just fine in any regular school imo. And, after the first couple of months would be just fine (after all, you came through the same system yourself)

Feels like you're backing yourselves into a corner here for a perceived benefit that's nowhere near as big as you think it is. And turning your prospective commute into the equivalent of the Bataan Death March.

Your shout obvs! If you are committed to the school though as the focal point of your Dublin life, then get a gaff nearby at the very least.

Comment

Your kids would be just fine in any regular school imo. And, after the first couple of months would be just fine (after all, you came through the same system yourself)

Feels like you're backing yourselves into a corner here for a perceived benefit that's nowhere near as big as you think it is. And turning your prospective commute into the equivalent of the Bataan Death March.

Your shout obvs! If you are committed to the school though as the focal point of your Dublin life, then get a gaff nearby at the very least.
                                                    Yeah, no, absolutely. We have moments of doubt. Now its a very good school they go to, its not just the language, it also seems excellent quality overall. But because of the language it doesn't have the snobbiness of an actual private school. I'd hate to have to hate my kids, but those private schools kids are pure pricks. I've met far too many psychos who have been through posh south dublin schools for it to be a coincidence. But then again, i do agree with the idea of paying for extra education as its the ultimate thing in life.

Its different for a lot of ye, that managed to get your kids down for the good educate together schools or whatever as soon as they were born. Can you imagine the type of Dublin school that still has space left for two new kids at different years - it'll be a very shit school indeed.

I'm kinda discounting the commute, as don't think it'll be done much. I was never really a going into work type of person even before covid.

This could all end disastrously. I've no clue really.

Comment

Nothing. There's no money in his bank (she has access to that), and he was just renting a room in a house in Dublin for the last 30 years, so there's no identifiable asset there. But he would have made a lot from building over the years. He was extremely reclusive and very strongly into religion, so he might have simply donated it.
                                                      Is there a will? Solicitor who holds it probably has some idea of his dealings.
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Hitch, you obviously know what will and won't suit you and the family better than anybody else but if neither of you are driving getting from Bray to the French school will be a bit of a ball ache, let alone the trek to DCU regardless how often you do it.

Comment

Was up and down the M1 on Friday afternoon and this evening, didn't see a single airplane coming in or going out on either trip and talking to a Niece home from the US she was one of less than 20 people on the plane coming over last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Was up and down the M1 on Friday afternoon and this evening, didn't see a single airplane coming in or going out on either trip and talking to a Niece home from the US she was one of less than 20 people on the plane coming over last week.
                                                            I was talking to an AL man on the sidelines of the sons soccer game this morning - 36 flights a day at present he says.

Comment

Yeah, no, absolutely. We have moments of doubt. Now its a very good school they go to, its not just the language, it also seems excellent quality overall. But because of the language it doesn't have the snobbiness of an actual private school. I'd hate to have to hate my kids, but those private schools kids are pure pricks. I've met far too many psychos who have been through posh south dublin schools for it to be a coincidence. But then again, i do agree with the idea of paying for extra education as its the ultimate thing in life.

Its different for a lot of ye, that managed to get your kids down for the good educate together schools or whatever as soon as they were born. Can you imagine the type of Dublin school that still has space left for two new kids at different years - it'll be a very shit school indeed.

I'm kinda discounting the commute, as don't think it'll be done much. I was never really a going into work type of person even before covid.

This could all end disastrously. I've no clue really.
                                                              You seem to be rationalising it all fairly neatly for yourself anyway.

"I'm sending my kids to a private school that costs at least 2* the average private school fees, but I'm glad it's not really a private school as I hate the kind of people who went to those places".

Look, you'll do whatever you see fit but from my perpective you seem to be furiously trying to justify some potentially dubious life choices to yourself. Would you not take a deep breath (now that the school year has just ended) and maybe take a week or two to evaluate what your life in Dublin should look like and where might suit that? Living in Bray, schooling in Clonskeagh and working in DCU just doesn't sound optimal at all. Some really nice houses in Glasnevin itself for example. Close to work, close to town, and schools....you can get into schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                Hitch, you obviously know what will and won't suit you and the family better than anybody else but if neither of you are driving getting from Bray to the French school will be a bit of a ball ache, let alone the trek to DCU regardless how often you do it.
                                                                No idea about his missus, but I'm fairly sure hitch doesn't drive at all, just to add to the ridiculousness of the situation.

Comment

Add 60 minute to the commute and you can have this https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/3262721

Comment

Had lunch at Michael's in Mount Merrion today. Weather was ideal. I have to agree with the consensus here - food was top class and excellent service. Oysters and Seafood platter to share. One of my best dining experiences.

Headed into town after for a look around more than anything. It was great to see so many places now offering outdoor options. Good vibe and people seemed delighted to be out. If I wanted a few scoops now I'd much rather be supping outdoors. Inside for sports or maybe later in the evening. For now the future in hospitality seems to be outdoors anyway. I'd say a lot of traditional pubs will bite the dust if they don't adjust. I just can't see enough oul fellas returning to skulling Guinness during the week to keep them afloat.
                                                                    Last edited by coillcam; 28-06-21, 08:41. Reason: EDIT, changed autocorrect wasn't great to was great

Comment

Me poor nerves with this playoff

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                        Add 60 minute to the commute and you can have this https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/3262721
                                                                        ha. Welcome back, hope the recovery is going well.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

No idea about his missus, but I'm fairly sure hitch doesn't drive at all, just to add to the ridiculousness of the situation.
                                                                          well I'm going to hopefully pass a driving test soon!

I wonder if we have thought this through at all though.

Edit: Think the job is a bit of a red herring though. Thats maybe 90 days a year as an absolute maximum (probably more like 60-70 days) so there's no point deciding where to live based on that. My colleague commutes from Limerick, another colleague moved to Kerry a few years ago. A few profs I know in UCD live in Cork.
                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-06-21, 22:50.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Had lunch at Michael's in Mount Merrion today. Weather was ideal. I have to agree with the consensus here - food was top class and excellent service. Oysters and Seafood platter to share. One of my best dining experiences.

Headed into town after for a look around more than anything. It wasn't great to see so many places now offering outdoor options. Good vibe and people seemed delighted to be out. If I wanted a few scoops now I'd much rather be supping outdoors. Inside for sports or maybe later in the evening. For now the future in hospitality seems to be outdoors anyway. I'd say a lot of traditional pubs will bite the dust if they don't adjust. I just can't see enough oul fellas returning to skulling Guinness during the week to keep them afloat.
                                                                            actually it could cause huge damage to temple bar which has almost no outdoor seating - everyone heading down towards Capel / Parliament Street as the new party capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                              Me poor nerves with this playoff
                                                                              That aged me 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                Her age is irrelevant. It's the door that is opening. It's wrong .
                                                                                Sorry Solks, I though I responded to this at the time. Must have got distracted.

I was making the point that the inclusion of this athlete is not going to make the Womens Weight lifting interesting. It will grab some attention for a sport otherwise neglect by the masses, but will otherwise be no different to other years.
                                                                                Lots of people are presenting this as "Man in dress will demolishes puny females in strongman event" - which is just the height of ignorance of all involved. Hubbard is way past it. Being transgender allowed her to qualify in a sport where she was previously way off the Olympic standard - but will be nowhere near the podium imo. (can I bet on that anywhere?)

I agree it's wrong. But this isn't opening any door. The door was opened back in 2004. Hubbard is just the first one to use it.

Comment

Still seems like a strange call to have the kids doing 2 hours commuting a day and living well away from their friends for socialising and expecting to get much better educational outcomes.

Surely the extra time that you can spend one on one with them doing homework at a table rather than on the dart would have the same outcomes. Obv I don’t know much about the school and you I am sure have done the research.

get the fixer upper in dun Laoghaire for your kids sake would be my advice if your really asking.

Remember the dart is not a nice modern french train it’s freezing and somehow stuffy most of the year and is only ever filled way over capacity at rush hour or empty bar a few creeps and alchos the rest of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                    Still seems like a strange call to have the kids doing 2 hours commuting a day and living well away from their friends for socialising and expecting to get much better educational outcomes.
                                                                                    .
                                                                                    I think this is the bit Hitch is really missing, going to be the mother of all ball aches when they start wanting to see friends after school, go to their houses, attend parties and socialise at the weekend in stillorgan/blackrock/foxrock where their school friends live.

Not going to be as simple as 'just need to get them to/from school at all' imo
                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

then again, what do I know. I know Bray used to be horribly connected, the 45/84 were at best unreliable and cumbersome but it's been a long time since I was there so I guess it's moved on. Dart is handy for anything on the line but still have to get to cherrywood for the luas (I think) in which case you still have the dropping them somewhere conundrum. meh, everything can be made to work, these are the sacrifices parents sign up to.
                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Cheers. I guess the big thing is the quality of house you can get out in Bray vs around this area. That was the driving point. It's dramatically better. But I'm nothing if not full of doubt so we might have to think on this again!

Comment

Do most parents get to choose which secondary school their children go to? I remember myself just filling in the application in 6th class for the one I chose, and getting my mother to sign it. Don't think we even discussed my reasoning.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                            Do most parents get to choose which secondary school their children go to? I remember myself just filling in the application in 6th class for the one I chose, and getting my mother to sign it. Don't think we even discussed my reasoning.
                                                                                            Same, aul lad wanted me to go to Belvo told him to GTFO if he thought i was cycling in and out every day.

Comment

Second jabbage yesterday afternoon, so far so good on the side effects side..then again, i kept WELL hydrated yesterday
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                Yes...and no. In Dublin anyway (outside, the element of choice gets greatly narrowed).

You can put their name down for whatever schools you like but there's then what seems like a fairly arbitrary system of criteria that determine whether your little darling gets offered a place. The absolute best thing you can do is find someone who knows how the system works and then apply their knowledge. Usually one of your kids friend's parents who has older kids or someone on the PTA in your primary school.

From all the anectodal stuff I hear, most people get their kids into their secondary school of choice. But it is opaque to say the least.

Being a minority helps.
                                                                                                Which, seeing as HH got his kids baptised in COI for, ahem, tactical reasons, could be something he might like to look at in terms of options.

Comment

Cheers. I guess the big thing is the quality of house you can get out in Bray vs around this area. That was the driving point. It's dramatically better. But I'm nothing if not full of doubt so we might have to think on this again!
                                                                                                  Not taking the piss out of you (well we kinda are ) but this feels like something where you really need to sit down and think through all the variables.

The housing market today won't be the market tomorrow but a bad decision made today could hurt for a long time. I'd be happy to chauffeur you around for an evening and let you check out some more areas.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                    Second jabbage yesterday afternoon, so far so good on the side effects side..then again, i kept WELL hydrated yesterday
                                                                                                    Second moderna for me yesterday, I'm in giblets this morning.

Comment

Not taking the piss out of you (well we kinda are ) but this feels like something where you really need to sit down and think through all the variables.

The housing market today won't be the market tomorrow but a bad decision made today could hurt for a long time. I'd be happy to chauffeur you around for an evening and let you check out some more areas.
                                                                                                      Have to agree a bit. You have a blank canvas bar work location (not sure where you said Mrs works though) so current leanings on the rest seem a bit off the wall.

Comment

Hitch, what would you think of something like this? https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...lin-16/4510579

Area is fine (I think, not 100% sure so someone could update), not the longest walk to the Luas, hell of a lot more convenient than Bray I would have thought. That said I viewed the houses on Parnell Road and if you're thinking about the most expensive one, it's really lovely!

We viewed this place recently: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...6-yh60/4508958

Really nice interior, lots of space. Bit far from the Luas but close to a bus to Rathmines which is an advantage to us (wife's work moving there in about a year). Keenly priced at the asking... last Friday the top bid was €810,000, which isn't as great relative value at all for a semi-d in that location, even that size and finish. Was always going to go for way above that asking I suppose.

Also viewed a place in Brighton Court in Foxrock/Cabinteely last week, yikes - massive space but bizarrely laid out.

My biggest regret from our first purchase in 2015 was that we didn't push the boat out a bit more and get a bigger place. Was too cautious, and that resulted in our desire to move again now. If you buy bigger/better, while obviously if prices later drop it will be a bit of a pain, assuming you can afford the repayments you're still in a great home. At least that's the logic that makes sense to me at present, everyone's circumstances are different I know.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Second moderna for me yesterday, I'm in giblets this morning.
                                                                                                          Moderna also, wife was also done yesterday and isnt feeling the best today, duvet day for her.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Jesus lads, 800k+ ? ye need to come down the country !
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To...

what about something like this? seems in budget. no doubt some work needed but can easily be done bit by bit , and is 5 minutes to the school

Comment

One wouldn't get the required leafiness in one's des res.

Comment

But would you have to live down the country? That's the problem! (TBH I wouldn't mind *that* much, would be a bridge too far for my Dublin wife I think)

Comment

@ Hitch. It's Bray.....

Cool the jets and take RD3's offer of chauffeur service. Imo you seem so anxious to make a decision that it's clearly clouding your ability to reason this out. It's a fairly big one with a long term impact. Take your time whatever you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      I'm in giblets this morning.

typo? A new one for me if not.

Comment

typo? A new one for me if not.
                                                                                                                        Hmmm, I thought it was quite a common phrase for feeling rough, but the internet has never seen it either.

Comment

One wouldn't get the required leafiness in one's des res.
                                                                                                                          For that money you could buy this in the country

or this in the town
                                                                                                                          Find Detached Houses for Sale in Naas, Kildare. Search 10 Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

And be a shorter commute to DCU than Bray or much the same as Balinteer.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X