This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now for Phase 2.

We need a list of formerly active posters to attract back to the shiny new site.
    1. Flushdraws
    2. The Rigger?
    3. Zuutroy
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      I've noticed I am now getting jobs sent to me that not only offer full time remote work but also one or two that are offering 4 days weeks instead of five. If work comes back and says they want people back in the office 5 days a week, I can see how people are going to start getting snapped up by companies adapting like that.
      That is though relative to your industry, The competition in Dublin at the moment for Software Eng's is completely crazy. Many people in other industries won't have that luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Now for Phase 2.

We need a list of formerly active posters to attract back to the shiny new site.
        1. Flushdraws
        2. The Rigger?
        3. Zuutroy
        All the way to back Zurooph? So long now I can't spell it right.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

That is though relative to your industry, The competition in Dublin at the moment for Software Eng's is completely crazy. Many people in other industries won't have that luxury.
          I read an interesting article that might back up Tar's point though; more people than ever are telling their bosses to stick it up your hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

All the way to back Zurooph? So long now I can't spell it right.
            Zuutroph is the preferred nomenclature. Dude.

Comment

Now for Phase 2.

1. Flushdraws
              2. The Rigger?
              3. Zuutroy
              the situation
              murdrum
              Elshambles

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

the situation
                murdrum
                Elshambles
                dougie has been pretty quiet as well lately I think
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It's not going to be easy when we get back to not wearing masks anymore. My eyes can say ok no problem but under the mask ive been quietly saying ffkkkkkk youuuuuuuu daily. I'm bound to be caught out.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                    It's not going to be easy when we get back to not wearing masks anymore. My eyes can say ok no problem but under the mask ive been quietly saying ffkkkkkk youuuuuuuu daily. I'm bound to be caught out.
                    We should probably keep wearing them. Surely most Irish people look better when you can only see their eyes?
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      I've an email in to tender for a large project, a school. It's from a QS that I've quoted to before for similar.

There's probably half a day's work ahead of me deciphering info from complex plans, and I'm almost 100% sure this guy is just using me for his quota.

Would I be out of line replying that there's a tender/quotation fee that can be claimed against a successful tender?

Am thinking of telling him it's €200 + vat for my time.

Done thing or not?
                      Definitely not the done thing imo.
                      You can accept or turn down the invitation to quote. But the idea is that it’s done speculatively.
                      The a costs involved with tendering, should be balanced by profits when you are award the tender - or else it’s not worth it.

Of course, you can attach any fees you like. But I can’t see it being a +EV as a strategy.
                      But definitely track the time, cost, win-rate and get whatever info back you can. Cut leads that aren’t profitable.

That said, the above raise some questions. Is the QS working for the contractor? Then I’d really be expecting them to quantify it better. You can send an request for information. Ask to get the information in a schedule of quantities. Could the window schedule work? That’s basically his only job.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                        you are under pricing yourself
                        many kitchen companies charge for their quote and drawing due to a lot of people using the drawing with someone else

you might end up getting a job off him if u play that card
                        In that case they are charging for the design/drawing. Not the quote. Kinda the opposite scenario.
                        If you brought a drawing to a kitchen company and they had a charge to quote, they’d be told to piss off.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

We should probably keep wearing them. Surely most Irish people look better when you can only see their eyes?
                          Are you able to do more stuff now that you are doubly jabbed? (or do you want to!)

Comment

Are you able to do more stuff now that you are doubly jabbed? (or do you want to!)
                            In theory yeah I'd be comfortable doing a lot of things I would have been avoiding. In reality, I've gotten so used to doing sweet fuck all that I haven't gotten around to much.

Comment

I'm doubly jabbed and have my holliers next week indoor drinking is back also but I'm scared in case I run into and kill a feral teenager. It seems Covid has bred a new pestilence upon our land. I dunno.

Comment

Looks like I need a credit card for car hire in US. Dropped the CC when I moved from BOI to KBC. Any recommendations?

Anyone use a prepaid SIM for data in the US? Phone unlocked and have dual SIM. GoMo roaming options nonexistent for US as far as I can see.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

In theory yeah I'd be comfortable doing a lot of things I would have been avoiding. In reality, I've gotten so used to doing sweet fuck all that I haven't gotten around to much.
                                  This seems to be a common phenomenon. I notice it talking to my mother\mother in law too, they have just become habituated to doing very little and going nowhere.

"Why don't you come up to Dublin to visit us for a break, have a holiday, go in and see the shops?"

meets with some hesitancy but then realisation that there is actually no reason not to

Comment

I think a lot of people are realising how bad they are at procastinating.
                                    So many told themselves that only if they had the time, they'd change/learn/do "X"
                                    Now time is fast running out on a once in a lifetime glut of forced free time and they haven't done any of it.

I include myself in this somewhat.
                                    I've done a fair amount of things on my list but still can't do a handstand and my flexibilty/weight isn't where I'd like it.
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It’s hard for people to adjust. The media cycle is very bad at talking about what is to come and as a result some people are unprepared for normality and how close it is.

We will see some irrationality when fully vaccinated individuals don’t update their behaviour to involve more social engagement. But I suppose people will need to take their time and be brought along.
                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

This seems to be a common phenomenon.
                                        Also got some blood tests back last month that were a bit Supposed to get them done every 6 months, though with various covid related cancellations hadn't had them done in more than a year. Loads of stuff well out of kilter: urate, creatine, c-reactive protein, gamma gt, triglycerides, fasting glucose, all over the normal range.

Comment

Also got some blood tests back last month that were a bit Supposed to get them done every 6 months, though with various covid related cancellations hadn't had them done in more than a year. Loads of stuff well out of kilter: urate, creatine, c-reactive protein, gamma gt, triglycerides, fasting glucose, all over the normal range.
                                          Feck. I never knew my blood had to perform these tasks. All I know is I still get shabby knees when I fall and pick them too soon out of boredom. Gamma gt? Wtf is that . I need to check mine now . Is there a form ?

Comment

Jeffrey Donaldson is the new Edwin Poots.

Wonder do they keep yer man Girvan as First Minister? Would be the shortest premiership ever if he boots him.

Comment

Bother got first AZ vaccine 9 days ago in UK, now he has covid. Mother was write about aul astra!

Comment

Sorry about any weird errors, trying to fix a redirect issue. Unsuccessfully so far.

Comment

Bother got first AZ vaccine 9 days ago in UK, now he has covid. Mother was write about aul astra!
                                                  it's karma dude

Comment

There is a cool WPT heads-up poker tournament going on at the moment. It is a $25k entry. It had a load of celebrity-type players added but all the sickos of the day from online were playing as well. All the guys studying the solver outputs day and night. So Patrick Antonius and Phil Ivey show up who have hardly played heads up in the last 5 years and I doubt either has looked at a solver and they have ended up in the final together. It will be streamed live tonight at 9 pm tonight on this youtube channel.

This Ivey hand from yesterday is sick, Kruk is considered one of the best new wave solver-type online players. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_sQIwNJkI&t=17728s

Comment

They are now saying the first dose isn't at all effective against this new variant but should still be after the second dose.

Comment

Got my first PPS scam robot call today. Phew, was feeling left out.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Chrome on Samsung S21 suddenly started opening a whole load of random spammy tabs.... maybe one an hour.
                                                          I've cleared the chrome cache and deleted any recently loaded apps but its still happening can't think what else might be doing it.

Any ideas how to stop it?
                                                          bump

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Sounds more like a Chrome extension than an app. Disable them all and see if it is still happening.

Comment

WTF why are RTE not showing the Scotland game?

Comment

The women's weightlifting is going to be pretty entertaining.

​​​​​​
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

WTF why are RTE not showing the Scotland game?
                                                                  They usually show the more popular game, no? It's on ITV4 anyway.

Comment

They usually show the more popular game, no? It's on ITV4 anyway.
                                                                    I would have thought a must win or your out game with Scotland would be more popular than a nothing game featuring England.

Comment

Sounds more like a Chrome extension than an app. Disable them all and see if it is still happening.
                                                                      Don't have any extensions on Android, and only adblock on PC

Comment

Don't have any extensions on Android, and only adblock on PC
                                                                        Any reason (other than time) not to do a factory reset?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                          Definitely not the done thing imo.
                                                                          You can accept or turn down the invitation to quote. But the idea is that it’s done speculatively.
                                                                          The a costs involved with tendering, should be balanced by profits when you are award the tender - or else it’s not worth it.

Of course, you can attach any fees you like. But I can’t see it being a +EV as a strategy.
                                                                          But definitely track the time, cost, win-rate and get whatever info back you can. Cut leads that aren’t profitable.

That said, the above raise some questions. Is the QS working for the contractor? Then I’d really be expecting them to quantify it better. You can send an request for information. Ask to get the information in a schedule of quantities. Could the window schedule work? That’s basically his only job.
                                                                          Cheers Mellor, that's sound advice.

There's a window schedule, but I need to scour plans to determine how many of each window there is.

I may just quote him for Window type and let him work out from that, or else get him to provide me with quantities.

I spent time on one for this crowd last year, a lot of time. Fuckers never bothered with even a reply.

Very confident it won't be successful, these guys have their providers. Nothing more frustrating than wasting time that I don't have.

Comment

There is a cool WPT heads-up poker tournament going on at the moment. It is a $25k entry. It had a load of celebrity-type players added but all the sickos of the day from online were playing as well. All the guys studying the solver outputs day and night. So Patrick Antonius and Phil Ivey show up who have hardly played heads up in the last 5 years and I doubt either has looked at a solver and they have ended up in the final together. It will be streamed live tonight at 9 pm tonight on this youtube channel.

This Ivey hand from yesterday is sick, Kruk is considered one of the best new wave solver-type online players. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_sQIwNJkI&t=17728s
                                                                            I’d be somewhat dubious to the idea that Ivey doesn’t look at solvers. Or is unfamiliar with that aspect of analysis. He might not run solves himself of course…
                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Any reason (other than time) not to do a factory reset?
                                                                              Sounds like the best plan when I give up trying figure out why its happening.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

I’d be somewhat dubious to the idea that Ivey doesn’t look at solvers. Or is unfamiliar with that aspect of analysis. He might not run solves himself of course…
                                                                                He has been pretty much out of poker for quite a while now. He had some serious personal issues. He did an interview with Joey recently where he touched on it a little. Spent the last couple of years taking care of his mental health and getting himself back in a better place. He said he will start looking at them when he starts playing seriously again. That could be a bluff but lying doesn't do much for him as I doubt too many players think they are going to exploit him cause he hasn't been knee-deep in solvers.
                                                                                Last edited by Opr; 22-06-21, 21:35.

Comment

Feel exhausted after reading - the man who cycled the world. Fascinating. Audio for walks and jogs .

Have to go again as so much detail His Andy Murray accent was easy enough to listen to.

Comment

Anyone listen to Alan Partridge at the Oasthouse podcasts?
                                                                                    BIt tough to get into but I thought in the end it was genuinely genius.
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Cheers Mellor, that's sound advice.

There's a window schedule, but I need to scour plans to determine how many of each window there is.

I may just quote him for Window type and let him work out from that, or else get him to provide me with quantities.

I spent time on one for this crowd last year, a lot of time. Fuckers never bothered with even a reply.

Very confident it won't be successful, these guys have their providers. Nothing more frustrating than wasting time that I don't have.

It's frustrating. Most big quotes fail obviously so its x of x maths as Mellor has already pointed out.

I would do my utmost to talk to the organ grinder though and get some sort of an in for a simple conversation There may be some aspect of your business perfect for some other job.

Comment

My 2 cents in general on getting sales.
                                                                                        It’s always a good idea to make the buyer feel smart in some way about the conversation. A candid chat about what he would like from a saving and conditions point of view and what savings he can make for his company by using you. Let him know there is at least some leeway and whatever figure he is looking for that might be near worth you taking the job . The hard sell can put people off whereas a mutual benefit conversation is the best approach . When you leave the buyer thinking he has worked a good deal it’s never a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          My 2 cents in general on getting sales.
                                                                                          It’s always a good idea to make the buyer feel smart in some way about the conversation. A candid chat about what he would like from a saving and conditions point of view and what savings he can make for his company by using you. Let him know there is at least some leeway and whatever figure he is looking for that might be near worth you taking the job . The hard sell can put people off whereas a mutual benefit conversation is the best approach . When you leave the buyer thinking he has worked a good deal it’s never a waste of time.
                                                                                          tldr - sell yourself then the product.

That said in Lazares situation it can be such a fucking pain. Nothing worse than seeing 1 500 page specification coming in with the same stuff repeated and then coming across loads of mistakes that you have to correct for free as the Architect has little clue about your particular field of products depsite pocketing a few k for writing the piece of drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

tldr - sell yourself then the product.
                                                                                            Abe Froman the sausage king of Chicago.

Comment

Got first jab yesterday, feel like shit today. Small price to pay for immortality.
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can people please, please, PLEASE stop buying shit that's made in China - A) It's shit and B)You really, really don't need it.

The last 4 weeks have been worse than at any other point in the whole pandemic. We still haven't fully gotten over the Suez Canal incident in terms of it fucking up equipment imbalances and then on the 25th May, workers in Yantian port, Shenzhen tested positive for Covid19. (Yantian port, for anybody interested, just happens to be one of the biggest ports in the world handling about 13.5 Million TEU per annum) Half of the port was closed immediately and the other half was working at as low as 15% capacity. Over 150 vessels have now omitted the port which has caused complete and utter chaos. Most of them have tried to divert to neighbouring ports (Shekou, Da Chan, Nansha & Hong Kong) which were already almost at capacity so essentially, all of South China is now completely fucked.

To make things worse, all the other ports insisted that drivers coming from the Yantian area had a negative Covid test in the last 48 hours and/or had to quarantine which has lead to a massive shortage of drivers available.

Yantian port is still probably only at 70% capacity today and any vessel that decided not to omit it has anywhere up to a 16 day wait to get a berth. Schedule reliability, which was already at an all time low of less than 30% will get even worse.

This will take a long time to resolve.

#Pray4LaoLao

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  Can people please, please, PLEASE stop buying shit that's made in China - A) It's shit and B)You really, really don't need it.

The last 4 weeks have been worse than at any other point in the whole pandemic. We still haven't fully gotten over the Suez Canal incident in terms of it fucking up equipment imbalances and then on the 25th May, workers in Yantian port, Shenzhen tested positive for Covid19. (Yantian port, for anybody interested, just happens to be one of the biggest ports in the world handling about 13.5 Million TEU per annum) Half of the port was closed immediately and the other half was working at as low as 15% capacity. Over 150 vessels have now omitted the port which has caused complete and utter chaos. Most of them have tried to divert to neighbouring ports (Shekou, Da Chan, Nansha & Hong Kong) which were already almost at capacity so essentially, all of South China is now completely fucked.

To make things worse, all the other ports insisted that drivers coming from the Yantian area had a negative Covid test in the last 48 hours and/or had to quarantine which has lead to a massive shortage of drivers available.

Yantian port is still probably only at 70% capacity today and any vessel that decided not to omit it has anywhere up to a 16 day wait to get a berth. Schedule reliability, which was already at an all time low of less than 30% will get even worse.

#Pray4LaoLao
                                                                                                  Fk you Chairman Lao,

I’ve been waiting 8 weeks on a TV remote that responds to Chinese location queries I just have to learn a few sentences in Chinese as the English one is a tenner more expensive.

Are you down the back of the sofa ? Are you under the Sofa? The Remote will respond and help cut short searching times and also my knees.
                                                                                                  Wtf with the excuses , I thought you were a magnet of sorts. Get me my unlosable remote please.

I was hoping to have this for the EUROS, until then I’ll use the elastic band.

A ) it's not shit
                                                                                                  B) I need it.

Comment

The World Test Championship final (having being semi-ruined by rain) is bubbling up nicely into a last-day finale, with any of four results possible as we go deep into the final afternoon. On SS now.

Funking a NZ win myself.

Comment

#Pray4LaoLao
                                                                                                      Better not let Hitch see this

Comment

#Pray4LaoLao
                                                                                                        can you check if the container of fake Christmas trees got thru the canal as I need them for December-no later than the 3rd

Comment

He has been pretty much out of poker for quite a while now. He had some serious personal issues. He did an interview with Joey recently where he touched on it a little. Spent the last couple of years taking care of his mental health and getting himself back in a better place. He said he will start looking at them when he starts playing seriously again. That could be a bluff but lying doesn't do much for him as I doubt too many players think they are going to exploit him cause he hasn't been knee-deep in solvers.
                                                                                                          Ah that's fair enough. I'd say those lads put the hours in and would be open to whatever framework is used to analyse play. But I'd also say they're paying for people to do the grunt work rather than running sims themselves. Could be wrong on that of course, but it's just my guess.

Comment

The World Test Championship final (having being semi-ruined by rain) is bubbling up nicely into a last-day finale, with any of four results possible as we go deep into the final afternoon. On SS now.

Funking a NZ win myself.
                                                                                                            Am I reading that right. A World Cup of...test cricket. Surely not?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Am I reading that right. A World Cup of...test cricket. Surely not?
                                                                                                              It's a bit of a gimmick.

They basically ranked all the teams over two years of play, then the best two proceeded to this final.

It's basically Man City vs Grimsby Town in terms of resources, so have to be on the underdog side (NZ) - looks like they're going to do it.

Comment

have to be on the underdog side (NZ) - looks like they're going to do it.
                                                                                                                BBV works on the new site I'm happy to report.

Bang on cue, 2 mins after posting this.

Comment

BBV works on the new site I'm happy to report.

Bang on cue, 2 mins after posting this.
                                                                                                                  No damage done, WP NZ.

Historically, NZ were always shite. That's some achievement, even if only a makey-uppy one.

Comment

Naan bread on the BBQ.

You heard it here first.

Comment

John McAfee found dead in a Spanish prison here he is in 2019 preparing to preserve his immortality amongst our tin foil hatted brethern

Comment

Good LOL @ the BBC commentator as a German player has a shot at a last gasp winner
                                                                                                                        "He needs to score this to avoid England at Wembley"

Comment

Good LOL @ the BBC commentator as a German player has a shot at a last gasp winner
                                                                                                                          "He needs to score this to avoid England at Wembley"
                                                                                                                          That turned out well.

Germany at Wembley in a major championship is awesome though

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X