This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    I'd make it about 10/1 that there was a single juror who has cycled on a country road involved here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...list-1.4577283

The Church and Guards who allowed a dangerous bend to be used as a car park bear some responsibility but the driver here had no business crossing the solid white line when there were cyclists approaching is always at least careless and even if he didn't directly cause her to fall it was his dangerous driving that caused the fall.

Clearly a wrong decision to reject all charges. Radical action is needed to protect cyclists, not putting this lad away for a very long time will cause more people to be killed by other dangerous drivers.
    Well as your know it’s on a bend so it’s not like he crosses over to approach the cyclists, he did so to avoid cars parked there, so at some point he either crosses the white line to continue or reverses back up the road. The cyclists were in different parts of the road, and the report suggests the victim was already falling before being hit so I’m not sure how you can have such conviction that the motorists actions were worthy of a custodial sentence. No guilty mind there at all in my view.

Comment

The stage profile for the Giro tomorrow makes me want to cry

kl5gkKlwgjU885aMoDW5_220421-025556.jpg?v=20210422165556.jpg
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

If somebody is paying €2,200 a month childcare while they work. €26k a year.
        How much do they need to be earning to justify that? €40k on the second income just to not lose money. Probably equates to $100k for the couple. Which is probably around that €6k a month figure after tax. Seems fair.

Although, I'm not sure that RDs idea of wealthy is living in an apartment earning 50k a pop. You are both likely in agreement here.
        You do also have to think about the career/income earning implications of stepping out of the work force for a number of years as well. Part-time working is an attractive way of keeping the second career in a family going but I find a 4 day week is needed as people on a 3 day week end up working 3.5 days anyway (and just not getting pad for it). The childcare providers aren't particularly flexible around this point though....

We were fortunate that childcare made financial sense for us regardless and it was more about what suited us (MrsV in particular as she carries the majority of the childminding load). It's pretty important to be able to have these conversations as it's not all about the money and there are a number of elements that come into it. The pandemic has allowed me to contribute a bit more but also to appreciate the amount that MrsV does to keep the show on the road.

The good news for us is that we'll be reentering the world of creches in a year or so as we have number 2 expected in September. A 6 year gap since our first may not have been wise so when I start posting at odds hours of the night in the future and am particularly snarky you'll all know why!!
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

You do also have to think about the career/income earning implications of stepping out of the work force for a number of years as well. Part-time working is an attractive way of keeping the second career in a family going but I find a 4 day week is needed as people on a 3 day week end up working 3.5 days anyway (and just not getting pad for it). The childcare providers aren't particularly flexible around this point though....

We were fortunate that childcare made financial sense for us regardless and it was more about what suited us (MrsV in particular as she carries the majority of the childminding load). It's pretty important to be able to have these conversations as it's not all about the money and there are a number of elements that come into it. The pandemic has allowed me to contribute a bit more but also to appreciate the amount that MrsV does to keep the show on the road.

The good news for us is that we'll be reentering the world of creches in a year or so as we have number 2 expected in September. A 6 year gap since our first may not have been wise so when I start posting at odds hours of the night in the future and am particularly snarky you'll all know why!!
          Congrats V4V!!!

Comment

Awesome! You will have to come up with another uplifting set of initials after starting strong with CLK.

Comment

wahaay! thats great news
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Good news! A six-year gap is chunky alright, at least you won't have two in nappies at once

Comment

Congrats-remember your future is the old lad with the walking stick at the school gates

Comment

Getting vaccinated later, just booked flights to Malaga July 20 for a week....felt better than sex tbh.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Congrats-remember your future is the old lad with the walking stick at the school gates
                      Is that your granddad collecting you today?

My plan is to be retired before the kid is in secondary school. But I don’t mind a bit tbh. My neighbour is a great guy and he’s 59 with his youngest lad 17. He’s my hero right now!!
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                        Pour one out for the Impactful Tie
                        Mates of mine would often have to do a double take when they see me in work gear. It's probably due to outside work, I'm usually casually dressed

I'd happily wear a t-shirt, shorts and some kind of footwear (barefoot is an option too) that didn't require socks for the rest of my life if the cunty weather in this country would allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Hey Ole,

I bought a smoker box for the BBQ. Any tips on good combos?
                          A 5 min burger will be vastly improved with the addition of smoke, this the box that takes chips and smoulders away ? Larger pieces of meat can only take so much, couple of mm deep, its the type of wood used really makes the difference. Nice and light for poultry or fish, think fruit woods and you beef can take something a bit more like oak or mesquite. Look up indirect cooking, where the food is over say the middle burner that is off and the heat comes from burners 1 and 3, for a long low cook you dont want direct heat, exact was you would braise something in the oven, nice and low.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Well as your know it’s on a bend so it’s not like he crosses over to approach the cyclists, he did so to avoid cars parked there, so at some point he either crosses the white line to continue or reverses back up the road. The cyclists were in different parts of the road, and the report suggests the victim was already falling before being hit so I’m not sure how you can have such conviction that the motorists actions were worthy of a custodial sentence. No guilty mind there at all in my view.
                            That is rubbish. As he was on the wrong side of the road he has a duty of care to be going slow enough not to cause danger to other users. Doesn't matter what the reason for crossing the line is , it is his responsibility to do so safely and get back to the right side safely, which he failed to do.

​​​​​​guilty all day long!
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Mates of mine would often have to do a double take when they see me in work gear. It's probably due to outside work, I'm usually casually dressed

I'd happily wear a t-shirt, shorts and some kind of footwear (barefoot is an option too) that didn't require socks for the rest of my life if the cunty weather in this country would allow it.
                              Man, I detest socks.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Not if you are employed in one location but living in the other.

DTAs are more for things like cross-border dividends, than for personal income taxes.
                                They also applies to income tax.

For example, I'm taxed on my global income in Australia. Money I earn in Ireland is liable for tax in Australia. However, if I'm taxed on it in Ireland. Then it's tax exempt in Australia.
                                This applies in reverse also.

But as I said in the other post. You seem to be fixated on the idea of a PAYE employee. People who working remotely would more like be contractors.
                                Really straight forward in that instance. It's really not uncommon to have remote workers abroad. Surprised you haven't come across it.
                                Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                Bear in mind you'd also need to be setting aside €1000 to €1500 a month in deposit savings. And you just have the normal stuff of life that you should be entitled to - meals out, a holiday, a few nfts.
                                It's kinda debatable where you need to be saving for a deposit tbh.
                                I figured the jump for 4200 to 6000 included meals out and the like. No idea who much normal life in Dublin costs.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Man, I detest socks.
                                  what's your thoughts on underpants?

Comment

A 5 min burger will be vastly improved with the addition of smoke, this the box that takes chips and smoulders away ? Larger pieces of meat can only take so much, couple of mm deep, its the type of wood used really makes the difference. Nice and light for poultry or fish, think fruit woods and you beef can take something a bit more like oak or mesquite. Look up indirect cooking, where the food is over say the middle burner that is off and the heat comes from burners 1 and 3, for a long low cook you dont want direct heat, exact was you would braise something in the oven, nice and low.
                                    Cheers man, will try some smoking at the weekend.

Have done a lot of indirect stuff. Did some marinated thighs last night, had them in a pan in the centre for about 40 mins, basted a little. Then stuck them on direct for a few mins each side. Did the same with wings the other night and they were incredible.

Have just about ran out of gas already lol, three weeks in.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Man, I detest socks.
                                      Jbravado left a day too soon with these bombshells emerging!

Comment

Tightly whities only., preferably one size too small.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Cheers man, will try some smoking at the weekend.

Have done a lot of indirect stuff. Did some marinated thighs last night, had them in a pan in the centre for about 40 mins, basted a little. Then stuck them on direct for a few mins each side. Did the same with wings the other night and they were incredible.

Have just about ran out of gas already lol, three weeks in.
                                          I thought we discussed previously not to mention thighs...
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Man, I detest socks.
                                            Always the same, the poor sock get discarded as soon as you meet a woman. I bet at one time you crawled over cold floorboards to get a comfy sock on .

I bet CourierCollie loves socks .

Comment

Drive slower in potentially dangerous situations! Windy narrow mountain road on summer day...danger..people likely to be out walking ..slow down a bit. So many accidents down to poor decisions and so avoidable.

Had a girl nearly run me over when I was walking on the Military road in the mountains. I mean she saw me walking towards her and gave a little room but I think she panicked a bit as there were cars coming in the opposite direction. So instead of slowing down a bit and comfortably negotiating the situation she maintains speed and veers towards me at the critical juncture presumably to avoid scraping a mirror. In her panic she just knee jerked pulled on the wheel.

I have seen idiots doing at least 70/80 on that road.
                                              Dont use it much now.

Dont how much they go into potentially dangerous situations in the current driving test but should be the most fundamental core part of it.

Comment

Congrats!

I agree it's not all about the most profitable in the moment. There's also a value to maintaining employment from a career progression POV. And also long service entitlements.
                                                Plus, I know some people who were to make a small lose on a second income and childcare for the sake of their sanity

Comment

Tightly whities only., preferably one size too small.
                                                  You've just sent Raoul off in search of a sock.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Always the same, the poor sock get discarded as soon as you meet a woman. I bet at one time you crawled over cold floorboards to get a comfy sock on .

And sash windows.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

You've just sent Raoul off in search of a sock.
                                                      I already have the Strewelpeter Super Salami™.

Opened up this monster at lunchtime to console myself with the shittiness of the weather.

20210528_130528.jpg

Comment

Well I don't know what kind of filthy animal would wear any footwear, other than flip flops, without socks.
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

wow, nice!!!

Comment

Been nice dipping back into the BBV recently but sad to see jbravado taking a break, come back soon sir.
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                Drive slower in potentially dangerous situations!

Dont how much they go into potentially dangerous situations in the current driving test but should be the most fundamental core part of it.
                                                                Its the vast majority of the theory test anyway. I'm only a few hours into actual driving and not killing people has been high on the instructors agenda so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Plus, I know some people who were to make a small lose on a second income and childcare for the sake of their sanity
                                                                  I'd say that's most people tbh. kids are boring as fck and probably most people quite like their jobs.

Comment

Please avoid hetero-northern-hemisphere-seasonal terminology ty ty.

Comment

A nice humble thought to bring us into the weekend as we think of the less fortunate than us, such as the Australians braving a winter as we speak - a winter that, at 17 degrees in Sydney, is warmer than our summer.

Comment

Those ads remind me of my childhood fav programmes

The Tomorrow People and The Children of the Stones. Was terrified of the latter
                                                                        Continuing my lockdown obsession with largely forgotten 70s and 80s British TV shows, I bought this book (and its vol.2, 1980s companion) earlier in the week.

Scarred For Life Volume One is an affectionate look at the darker side of pop culture in the 1970s. Public information films, scary kids' TV shows, bleak adult dramas, dystopian sci-fi, savage horror films, violent comics, horror-themed toys and sweets, and the huge boom in paranormal paraphernalia; all this and much more is covered in-depth. Prepare to relive your childhood nightmares. The things that made us... scarred for life!

What led me to it?

Anyone ever seen Johnny Jarvis? A superb slice of coming of age British kitchen sink drama set at the end of the 70s and through the early Thatcher years of the 80s. It was only released on DVD a couple of years back and just finished it last night.

Very amazing - first TV appearance for Kathy Burke and Joe McGann as well as a cast of great British character actors who were largely unknown at the time.

Highly recommended - can't believe I was only 12 when I watched it and it has stayed with me ever since AND didn't disappoint! Sex, drugs, rock n'roll, racism, homosexuality, class, criminality and domestic banality all rolled into six, tight 50 minute episodes.

And it's all the more poignant cos Mark Farmer, the blonde lead (who was a great actor and went on to do very well in a couple of season of Minder as well as a mainstream sitcom before giving up acting for music) died a few year back aged just 54.

Seek it out.

Comment

Christ.

I am all about helping to make people aware of things they might say that unknowingly offend people. This is a noble cause. I do it all the time and I like to be called up on it as sometimes I’m legit blind. Lots of times I’m legit blind. Lots of times I’m legit blind but also stubborn. It’s good learning and thinking.

I have no idea how misnaming a fucking season is offensive.
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Also her woke head is Gregorian centric.

She need to be Lunar inclusive.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is how you get Trump. And Brexit.

Comment

I'd say that's most people tbh. kids are boring as fck and probably most people quite like their jobs.
                                                                                Ah they're not the worst tbf. Mrs has been away all week and not back till Sunday so have been experimenting on them all week. Treated them to a McDonalds for luch today for towing the line all week but stocked up on extra strawberry milkshakes which are stashed in the fridge. Slowly dripfeeding them to try hit the hyperness and crash crescendo for the nut 8pm spot to ensure a decent lie in in the morning for myself. It's all about the maths really

Comment

Its the vast majority of the theory test anyway. I'm only a few hours into actual driving and not killing people has been high on the instructors agenda so far.
                                                                                  In my day it was road test which consisted of a bit of driving, sudden stop, hill start and reverse around a corner. The theory part was looking at road signs and guessing correctly!

Tester: "Watch out for those kids
                                                                                  Me: "Dont worry I'll get them"

Comment

Havent even got my head around the whole "they" pronoun thing. My head is melted from Twityer and I dont even have an account.

Comment

@Solks

"Happy day"

Comment

In my day it was road test which consisted of a bit of driving, sudden stop, hill start and reverse around a corner. The theory part was looking at road signs and guessing correctly!

Tester: "Watch out for those kids
                                                                                        Me: "Dont worry I'll get them"
                                                                                        Same. Told them I could drive when a promotion came up and they threw a company car at me. Couldnt drive for shit. Had to apply for test immediately to procure a Provisional Licence as I had one 10 years before for getting into pubs

Failed first test and reapplied and got a postponment a week later, obvs failed that too after nearly wiping out a line of parked cars on the narrow Churchtown route. Pulled up between the 108 and Comans at the lights about 500 yards from making it back alive to Test Centre just as the Ireland v Saudi WC match finished and we were swarmed by a few dozen drunken fans jumping on the bonnet. Tester had lost the will to live at this stage and ordered me to swap seats.

Crashed the car the following day into our Receptionist and had to confess to the No Full Licence malarkey. MD not happy having to pay for repairs in cash, took an air swing at me and told me to have a Full Licence by end of month or else. Different times really. Passed third time thank fook.

Comment

That fucking tweet.

What do we do about timezones now.

Comment

it's amazing how triggered you all get because someone is trying to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                              Trying to be nice would simply doing as they intended without the fanfare . I'm nice but I'm not going to tweet about it. Would rather be considered a bollix. Sycophants can be triggersome.

Comment

@Solks

"Happy day"
                                                                                                They got you Dinekes. * Drives Cortina out of town (or similar)

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Continuing my lockdown obsession with largely forgotten 70s and 80s British TV shows, I bought this book (and its vol.2, 1980s companion) earlier in the week.

Scarred For Life Volume One is an affectionate look at the darker side of pop culture in the 1970s. Public information films, scary kids' TV shows, bleak adult dramas, dystopian sci-fi, savage horror films, violent comics, horror-themed toys and sweets, and the huge boom in paranormal paraphernalia; all this and much more is covered in-depth. Prepare to relive your childhood nightmares. The things that made us... scarred for life!

What led me to it?

Anyone ever seen Johnny Jarvis? A superb slice of coming of age British kitchen sink drama set at the end of the 70s and through the early Thatcher years of the 80s. It was only released on DVD a couple of years back and just finished it last night.

Very amazing - first TV appearance for Kathy Burke and Joe McGann as well as a cast of great British character actors who were largely unknown at the time.

Highly recommended - can't believe I was only 12 when I watched it and it has stayed with me ever since AND didn't disappoint! Sex, drugs, rock n'roll, racism, homosexuality, class, criminality and domestic banality all rolled into six, tight 50 minute episodes.

And it's all the more poignant cos Mark Farmer, the blonde lead (who was a great actor and went on to do very well in a couple of season of Minder as well as a mainstream sitcom before giving up acting for music) died a few year back aged just 54.

Seek it out.

Your geekyness never fails to impress .

Comment

Hate socks, hate underwear, hate gloves. Extremities need to be free!

Comment

My son is currently learning to drive, has absolutely no interest but that's another matter, we live in the country and needs to learn. I understand its more structured now with logged lessons etc but what i find bizarre is after one lesson the instructor expected me to take him on a road and help him practice !

The guy couldn't figure out the biting point, let alone understand braking.

3 lessons in and he is understanding the fundamentals but cant see why i wont take him on the road without a dual control car, would love to tell the instructor to take him out without the benefit of having pedals on his side , its like after one flying lesson the instructor says work away and sits in the back, madness !

I understand a lot of folk would have messed around in the drive etc but he came from not knowing what the pedals did, had zero interest. Im sure it will all click in someday and he can drive me home from the pub.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Is that Poots lad the best the DUP could russell up?

Comment

Your geekyness never fails to impress .
                                                                                                          Thank you for caring. I wish someone else did. Trying to find anyone to talk to about such things is largely impossible. At least I have you guys.

Currently playing a bunch of 1980s compilations and soundtracks I picked up fairly cheap during the week - Miami Vice III is a highlight as is Now Dance 1986 -The 12" Remixes.

Also reading the Boy's Own fanzine compendium from the birth of acid house when football casuals and soul boys discovered good drugs and even better records (mostly written by Andrew Weatherall and Terry Farley).

Lovely hardback, embossed edition which has already trebled in value since I bought it last summer.

Oh...and Paul Carberry's autobiography which is pretty good too.

There's not enough hours in the day to consume interesting shit!
                                                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 28-05-21, 18:13.

Comment

She just sounds like a complete and utter insufferable cunt of the highest order

Originally posted by Hectorjelly
                                                                                                            You need to work on your trolling - 2/10

Comment

Ha. Fair. What does that say about me!

But really... are you a man who will make sure he gets the person he is speaking to's relative position on earth and their local climate during a series of month mapping correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                Is that Poots lad the best the DUP could russell up?
                                                                                                                He is a Man Of The People and he's telling them what they want to hear.

Comment

He is a Man Of The People and he's telling them what they want to hear.
                                                                                                                  Thought Foster getting £125k in damages over a defamatory tweet was a bigger story https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-dr-christian/
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

No. It's passive aggressive nonsense.

It's designed to make people feel bad about themselves.

Comment

Mellor, any plans for Q3?

Comment

Mellor, any plans for Q3?
                                                                                                                        For fucks sake Lazare, you're such an inconsiderate prick.

Are you talking about calendar Q3 or Fiscal Q3. The tax year in Australia runs from July 1st to June 30th.

I think you need to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror and try put yourself in Mellors position and how he feels right now.

Mellor - Hope you're OK hun?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Because its a solid white line and he's not allowed across it.

Originally posted by Rules of the road
                                                                                                                          Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road: All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).
                                                                                                                          Even if he considers that having to wait for mass to finish constitutes an emergency when something is coming at him he has to stop. That she was falling because the he was flying towards them at speed and they were being forced to get out of his way. Absolutely crazy but wholly expected verdict

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X