This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yes, everyone accepts the six month rule for residency. That wasn't the conversation at any point!
    OK...senility kicking in my part so.

Although like I say, I've definitely seen requests like 'can I work for the winter from Portugal' or, more enterprisingly, 'can I work from Rio for a few months as I like Brazilian girls?' pretty much get turned down flat in several workplaces.
    There are all sorts of potentially nasty tax implications, both personal and corporate. And a few further legal ones.

Thinking of this kind of thing.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think a lot of that is lazy HR ending up in Shrap not being able to work from France for two weeks - wtf.

And also, we should cheer on people who want to work from Rio and ogle Brazilian girls. Thats living your best life.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Fifth year in a row filling in a very long French tax report, and fifth year in a row having zero idea what all those hundreds of boxes in the form mean and so skipping over them.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

I think a lot of that is lazy HR ending up in Shrap not being able to work from France for two weeks - wtf.

And also, we should cheer on people who want to work from Rio and ogle Brazilian girls. Thats living your best life.
          Won't someone think of the poor Brazilian girls on the end of the ogling?

You have a very hetero-phallic view of the world. I bet you even make people refer to you as 'him', you fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

OK...senility kicking in my part so.

Although like I say, I've definitely seen requests like 'can I work for the winter from Portugal' or, more enterprisingly, 'can I work from Rio for a few months as I like Brazilian girls?' pretty much get turned down flat in several workplaces.
            There are all sorts of potentially nasty tax implications, both personal and corporate. And a few further legal ones.

Thinking of this kind of thing.
            I know people that do exactly this and their work has no issue with it, for instance a friend going to Thailand for a couple of months to do martial arts training while she still worked etc.It's just the 6 months in Ireland that you have to comply to?

Comment

Roche chasing hard with 2K to go
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lads if you want to ogle Brazilian young wans, you don't have to stray beyond the confines of The Pale. 6th largest immigrant group in the country.

When things do open up I'd seriously recommend it as a country to visit. It's basically the size of the EU/USA and massively diverse across the different regions. The $BRL has taken a big hit in recent times so the euro goes even further now. Looking forward to heading back there sometime early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                  Lads if you want to ogle Brazilian young wans, you don't have to stray beyond the confines of The Pale. 6th largest immigrant group in the country.

When things do open up I'd seriously recommend it as a country to visit. It's basically the size of the EU/USA and massively diverse across the different regions. The $BRL has taken a big hit in recent times so the euro goes even further now. Looking forward to heading back there sometime early next year.
                  It's on the list. Only continent I've never been to and I'd really like to get there for a look around. But definitely not ogling ladies like that Hitch character, oh no.

Comment

Anybody got information when 39 years old are likely to get vaccinated?

My boss from PokerNews was onto me during the week about going to Sydney in July and I'm just trying to figure out some logistics, if I was to be fully vaccinated it would mean I'd be able to avoid a 2 week quarantine on my arrival back to Ireland and not have to pay to stay in a hotel. What are the chances I'd be able to get the Johnson & Johnson one dose?

I'm just excited to get back to work after 15 months
                    Last edited by tylerdurden94; 27-05-21, 17:55.
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Gotta love this headline all the same...........

‘Voice for generation locked out of housing market’ Fine Gael candidate lives in €730,000 house in different constituency
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

My boss from PokerNews was onto me during the week about going to Sydney next month and I'm just trying to figure out some logistics, if I was to be fully vaccinated it would mean I'd be able to avoid a 2 week quarantine on my arrival back to Ireland and not have to pay to stay in a hotel. What are the chances I'd be able to get the Johnson & Johnson one dose?

There's issues with supply of J&J.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                          Gotta love this headline all the same...........

Sure that wouldn't buy ionapaul a garden shed these days....

Comment

Think it might've been Willie who was talking about Devil's Glen a couple weeks back?? Myself & the fiancee took a little adventure out to it yesterday and it was a great trek around the place, took my camera with me so got some nice photos of the waterfall. Recommend for anybody looking to take in some new scenery.

Comment

There's issues with supply of J&J.
                              I did see that on the news earlier.

Comment

I did see that on the news earlier.
                                tbh, I think it's pretty much 'take what you're given' territory.

Pfizer does seem to be the primary workhorse of the vaccination program

Comment

My boss from PokerNews was onto me during the week about going to Sydney next month and I'm just trying to figure out some logistics, if I was to be fully vaccinated it would mean I'd be able to avoid a 2 week quarantine on my arrival back to Ireland and not have to pay to stay in a hotel. What are the chances I'd be able to get the Johnson & Johnson one dose?

Lovely!! Remember there's quarantine to enter Australia also, unfortunately. I'm not sure there's an exemption from that even for vaccinated people? I wonder if a GP could do you a favour? Otherwise you should be normally due to get the first shot within about three weeks, as a decent guess.

Comment

It's on the list. Only continent I've never been to and I'd really like to get there for a look around. But definitely not ogling ladies like that Hitch character, oh no.
                                    It's great. But really tough to cover much ground at a time. Needs multiple visits.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's great. But really tough to cover much ground at a time. Needs multiple visits.
                                      I have an idea that Uruguay is pretty cool. But that may just be because of the humour potential of the name.

Comment

Sure that wouldn't buy ionapaul a garden shed these days....
                                        Joking aside a €730,000 house in South Dublin really mightn't be anything special. Bit of a joke that the fact he lives a little outside of the constituency is used to denigrate him, it's not like he lives in Kerry or something!

Comment

Lets say you have two kids in creche - €2,200 a month in Dublin. Maybe renting a 60sqm apartment in a slightly decent area - €2,000 minimum. How are you defining 'wealthy' in this situation, when they've €4,200 expenses before even getting to the supermarket to buy food. Maybe €6,000 a month then just to cover your basic costs - before you even think of leaving the house for a meal or heaven forbid a holiday. Why would you want to take away their small tiny piddling bit of child benefit that is but a drop in the ocean compared to their childcare costs? Oh and they are also paying 50% marginal income tax. And then they have to read stories about how lucky they are and they should give up the one tiny benefit they have while they work two full-time jobs to just barely make ends meet.

I'd say you'd need to be on up near €150,000 a year in family income before you could consider someone wealthy enough to not need child benefit. And there's such a small number of people on that (mainly with grown up kids, so not receiving SW benefits) that it would cost far more to collect than it gains.
                                          Good man Hitch. Most sensible post I’ve seen from you in ages. I don’t know how average earning people manage living in Dublin with a couple of kids. No wonder people have fuck all savings and can’t manage a minor unexpected bill.

I have a guy working for me with his wife working full time in the charity sector. I’d say the combined family income is about 130-140k. Two kids under 6.

He’s currently buying a 3 bed house on the north side (with potential to turn into a 4 bed) for ~750k (using trading up house equity and a max mortgage for 30 years). Bank put him through the ringer to get the mortgage. Pin of his collar to get it.

It’s mad stuff.
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Good man Hitch. Most sensible post I’ve seen from you in ages. I don’t know how average earning people manage living in Dublin with a couple of kids. No wonder people have fuck all savings and can’t manage a minor unexpected bill.

I have a guy working for me with his wife working full time in the charity sector. I’d say the combined family income is about 130-140k. Two kids under 6.

He’s currently buying a 3 bed house on the north side (with potential to turn into a 4 bed) for ~750k (using trading up house equity and a max mortgage for 30 years). Bank put him through the ringer to get the mortgage. Pin of his collar to get it.

It’s mad stuff.
                                            750k? Sounds like he totally overstretched himself there. You could buy a 3 bed for 500/550 in a perfectly fine area.

Evil Boss V should give him a raise imo.

Comment

The V\employee conversation:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmRORmaXQs7DqQ2aDobHy6i0cvnOKFRxOFF7jbVWsRCF0-iQM&s.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Good man Hitch. Most sensible post I’ve seen from you in ages.
                                                Well he's bound to click with someone with the amount of random shite he posts. Yeah, the rest of the world should engage with Lukashenko. Send some good old US drones in for him asap imo.
                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Uruguay looks a bit boring on further research.

Chile must have fun stuff.

Comment

Uruguay looks a bit boring on further research.

Chile must have fun stuff.
                                                    Is Central America and Cuba considered North America in the continental sense? Have met enough Brazilians to know it's a place I definitely want to avoid

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1694847&d=1622148616&type=thumb
                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Is Central America and Cuba considered North America in the continental sense? Have met enough Brazilians to know it's a place I definitely want to avoid
                                                        Everything in Central America is geographically 'North America'.

Panama seems to be the continental border.

Comment

750k? Sounds like he totally overstretched himself there. You could buy a 3 bed for 500/550 in a perfectly fine area.

Evil Boss V should give him a raise imo.
                                                          More valoo on the Southside tbf....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

More valoo on the Southside tbf....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40477024.html
                                                            Ha reminded me of the brothel in Rathmines from 20 years ago. Was somewhat disappointed the it wasn't one I had been to.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/042...-brothel-sold/

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Joking aside a €730,000 house in South Dublin really mightn't be anything special. Bit of a joke that the fact he lives a little outside of the constituency is used to denigrate him, it's not like he lives in Kerry or something!
                                                              The prices are just shocking! I'm almost nervous about getting mortgage approval, if it ever arrives, for having to spunk it on some of the pure shite that pops up in those daft emails.

Comment

Think it might've been Willie who was talking about Devil's Glen a couple weeks back?? Myself & the fiancee took a little adventure out to it yesterday and it was a great trek around the place, took my camera with me so got some nice photos of the waterfall. Recommend for anybody looking to take in some new scenery.
                                                                The devil's music at Devil's Glen - 18 years ago on Monday as it happens. Time flies.

This one was from the same place (the carpark) a year earlier (poor quality 'cos screen grabbed from the TV).

That's me on the right. Check out the lad behind the wall

Shortly afterwards a fella got up and sat on the wall beside us and promptly tripped out and fell face first onto the ground. Had to get an ambulance for him which was a bloody nightmare (literally).

Devils Glen.jpg

Comment

What a pic!

Comment

I'd make it about 10/1 that there was a single juror who has cycled on a country road involved here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...list-1.4577283

The Church and Guards who allowed a dangerous bend to be used as a car park bear some responsibility but the driver here had no business crossing the solid white line when there were cyclists approaching is always at least careless and even if he didn't directly cause her to fall it was his dangerous driving that caused the fall.

Clearly a wrong decision to reject all charges. Radical action is needed to protect cyclists, not putting this lad away for a very long time will cause more people to be killed by other dangerous drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                      I'd make it about 10/1 that there was a single juror who has cycled on a country road involved here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...list-1.4577283

The Church and Guards who allowed a dangerous bend to be used as a car park bear some responsibility but the driver here had no business crossing the solid white line when there were cyclists approaching is always at least careless and even if he didn't directly cause her to fall it was his dangerous driving that caused the fall.

Clearly a wrong decision to reject all charges. Radical action is needed to protect cyclists, not putting this lad away for a very long time will cause more people to be killed by other dangerous drivers.
                                                                      Some of the ways in which the car is engrained in Irish life is just gubu. Like laws that allow actually killing people through your own decisions to go unpunished.

Comment

Some of the ways in which the car is engrained in Irish life is just gubu.
                                                                        It really is strange how recently that happened though. When I was in primary school in the 70s and early 80s there was literally one parent who used to embarrass her son by driving him to school. In secondary school the only students driven there were the wheelchair users. Even in college there was only the rare person that was insured on their mams car, and could occasionally borrow it.

Comment

Just one day of sunshine. At a weekend. That's all I ask.

Comment

It really is strange how recently that happened though. When I was in primary school in the 70s and early 80s there was literally one parent who used to embarrass her son by driving him to school. In secondary school the only students driven there were the wheelchair users. Even in college there was only the rare person that was insured on their mams car, and could occasionally borrow it.
                                                                            Used to walk to primary school (about 2km) and cycle to secondary (about 6km). Now it seems the norm to drive your kids those distances and shorter.

Mrs D3 drives the two youngest to primary now, over my objections, about 2.5km. They walk home. Teenage dirtbag daughter walks\cycles to secondary, about 2km.

The norm though seems to be car dropoff\pickup.

Fat kids being driven by fat parents. Not hard to make the connection.

Comment

When we were kids you could play football on the street and maybe get interrupted by a car every hour or so. The houses that had a car had it in the driveway. Now on that same road every house has multiple cars, there's cars parked both sides of the street, and there's one going up or down every few minutes.

We walked to primary, cycled or bussed to secondary.

It was safe to do so.

It's not now. Certainly for primary school kids.

No way in hell I'm sending my 6 year old off to walk to school by herself. Mostly driven there when it's raining only though.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                No way in hell I'm sending my 6 year old off to walk to school by herself. Mostly driven there when it's raining only though.
                                                                                Why not though?
                                                                                Don't you have pavements out there or did strewel's hungry sheep eat them all?

And the roads are far safer today than when we were kids. All the data tells us this. Safer cars, better law enforcement, people actually wear seat belts, actual cycle lanes, better pedestrian crossings, drinking and driving virtually eradicated...etc

Comment

Did they establish if he was just stupid, or was it actually done with malicious intent?
                                                                                  he was both

He knew he had it and went to work, then while in work he pulled his mask down and coughed on people saying 'I'm going to give you the virus' we're not dealing with Einstein here, that's for sure.
                                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

he was both

He knew he had it and went to work, then while in work he pulled his mask down and coughed on people saying 'I'm going to give you the virus' we're not dealing with Einstein here, that's for sure.
                                                                                    Jesus.

Throw away the key imo.

Comment

Why not though?
                                                                                      Don't you have pavements out there or did strewel's hungry sheep eat them all?

And the roads are far safer today than when we were kids. All the data tells us this. Safer cars, better law enforcement, people actually wear seat belts, actual cycle lanes, drinking and driving virtually eradicated...etc
                                                                                      In 2021 youd allow a 6 year old walk 2.2k to school on their own ?
                                                                                      . What has seat belts got to do with it ? Sure I was nearly hit by a car myself just walking out of the fecking garage. If anything happened to my child walking to school on their own I'd consider it neglect on my part. .

In lots of ways it's more dangerous these days than when we were kids . the connected scumbag network bring onecexample. Also people had litters of children back then so strength in numbers

Comment

Walk kids to school every morning, not sure what age they'll be off solo but it deffo wont be senior infants next year when they're 6

Comment

I've seen enough Artic drivers ploughing up the main street while texting to not take that chance.

Was at the pedestrian lights one time with the buggy and was about to cross on the green man but just got a sense the prick in the Range Rover pulling the trailer had different ideas.

Sure enough, ploughs through the red light, totally oblivious.

No hope in hell the kids are walking there by themselves.

Comment

That's a great phrase for LinkedIn! LOL so true, the shite on it is maddening, the falseness of LinkedIn is even worse than Twitter or Facebook IMHO. Don't spend much time on any of them but still drop in once every few weeks to see what's being posted.

#thisjobhelpedmegrowasaperson

Comment

Yep, LinkedIn is puke inducing. Great phrase for it alright.

The absolute worst is getting those 'happy work anniversary' messages.

Puke.

Comment

Comment

Just one day of sunshine. At a weekend. That's all I ask.
                                                                                                  weather has been shit here for weeks, even had to cancel my birthday bbq last week, but things are looking good for this weekend and week ahead with low 20s and sunshine for the foreseeable future! the BBQ is finally going to be freed from it's winterwear.

Comment

Brendan Grace did it better.

Whatever happened to ORMO bread ?

Those ads remind me of my childhood fav programmes

The Tomorrow People and The Children of the Stones. Was terrified of the latter

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                      Yep, LinkedIn is puke inducing. Great phrase for it alright.

The absolute worst is getting those 'happy work anniversary' messages.

Puke.
                                                                                                      It's the new trend of 'sharing' (who gives a fuck, fuck off) these stupid positivity stories on linkedin that GAB is talking about. They are not intrinsically stupid in their own right, hey they may even be uplifting and wonderful things - but they have no place on what is essentially a place to find a job.

I wouldn't go into an interview and start bleating on about my fucking childhood. Save it for facebook or whatever.

Comment

There's definitely a double jeopardy scenario at play where you can be taxed twice (home and abroad) on the same Irish income if you break the residency rules.
                                                                                                        I'd imagine most places have a double taxation treaty to prevent that. In that if you did get taxed in one location, it'd be offset in the other.

Comment

Lets say you have two kids in creche - €2,200 a month in Dublin. Maybe renting a 60sqm apartment in a slightly decent area - €2,000 minimum. How are you defining 'wealthy' in this situation, when they've €4,200 expenses before even getting to the supermarket to buy food. Maybe €6,000 a month then just to cover your basic costs - before you even think of leaving the house for a meal or heaven forbid a holiday. Why would you want to take away their small tiny piddling bit of child benefit that is but a drop in the ocean compared to their childcare costs? Oh and they are also paying 50% marginal income tax. And then they have to read stories about how lucky they are and they should give up the one tiny benefit they have while they work two full-time jobs to just barely make ends meet.

I'd say you'd need to be on up near €150,000 a year in family income before you could consider someone wealthy enough to not need child benefit. And there's such a small number of people on that (mainly with grown up kids, so not receiving SW benefits) that it would cost far more to collect than it gains.
                                                                                                          If somebody is paying €2,200 a month childcare while they work. €26k a year.
                                                                                                          How much do they need to be earning to justify that? €40k on the second income just to not lose money. Probably equates to $100k for the couple. Which is probably around that €6k a month figure after tax. Seems fair.

Although, I'm not sure that RDs idea of wealthy is living in an apartment earning 50k a pop. You are both likely in agreement here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I'd imagine most places have a double taxation treaty to prevent that. In that if you did get taxed in one location, it'd be offset in the other.
                                                                                                            Not if you are employed in one location but living in the other.

DTAs are more for things like cross-border dividends, than for personal income taxes.

Comment

Although, I'm not sure that RDs idea of wealthy is living in an apartment earning 50k a pop. You are both likely in agreement here.
                                                                                                              Wealthy is clearly 'anyone who earns more than me'.

Joking aside, we do have an awful habit of conflating income and wealth. As everyone correctly says, you can be on what seems like a high income but have fuck all disposable income, plus high debts and low assets. Remember that proper wealth formation in Ireland is a fairly recent thing.

Comment

How much do they need to be earning to justify that? €40k on the second income just to not lose money. Probably equates to $100k for the couple. Which is probably around that €6k a month figure after tax. Seems fair.

Comment

Started watching Lilyhammer as it was on a list of overlooked tv shows - scores an 8 on IMDB. On Netflix. Finding it very good so far. Its all a bit silly, and slightly overacted, and yet really quite charming.

Comment

Bear in mind you'd also need to be setting aside €1000 to €1500 a month in deposit savings. And you just have the normal stuff of life that you should be entitled to - meals out, a holiday, a few nfts.

Comment

edit: got it

Comment

Hey Ole,

I bought a smoker box for the BBQ. Any tips on good combos?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

weather has been shit here for weeks, even had to cancel my birthday bbq last week, but things are looking good for this weekend and week ahead with low 20s and sunshine for the foreseeable future! the BBQ is finally going to be freed from it's winterwear.
                                                                                                                          Keep coming across photo's of the garden from previous years and a lot of things are a full month behind usual. Its going to be a really short growing season for lots of stuff. I had courgettes ready to eat this time last year this years aren't out of the tunnel yet. Spuds I put in in March hoping to have them out of the ground in June won't be ready to pick till mid or late August leaving me short of space for stuff I'd planned to put in after them.
                                                                                                                          On the positive side the strawberries I do have are sweeter than ever because of the cold nights.

.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X