This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

I think our over bearing nanny state government will not allow general opening up in the next few months. We can all take some pain but there is no clear road map in sight. I cannot see the sense on vaccinated people wearing flimsy masks. Varadkar on about top up vaccines pizer talking about making billions more vaccines for the years ahead. It reminds me of the First World War generals telling the men one more push men the war will be over by Christmas and not an end in sight.
    How many lives do you think the actions of our nanny state has saved over the last year?
    Would you accept the need for a vaccine passport to identify those who are vaccinated?
    If not, can you see the issues with non mask wearing?
    That's besides the fact that we still don't know if vaccination stops the ability for the virus to spread.
    Most likely in the future there will be some kind of nasal or oral treatment to stop the virus blooming in nose and throat but we aren't there yet.

Using your own analogy, do you see your current stance of no need for vaccine for demographics similar
    to previous once more into the breach stances of;

just a cold on steriods
    just kills old people
    it's just seasonal
    masks are inneffective anyway
    1930s nazi propaganda
    etc etc etc
    Last edited by DeadParrot; 26-05-21, 10:06.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Well, that would be a matter of how much more you value your 'right' to be a drunken eejit slobbering on other drunken eejits over the life of a vulnerable person. Pubs and restaurants are not the economy, they are a small part of it.
      No one is asking for this shite to last a day longer than it needs to but we've got this far there is no point in fucking it up now because the fools that handed money to Ivor Cummins are desperately reaching to be right about something, anything. Better we be over cautious for an extra few weeks than another single person dies unnecessarily.

I’ve not been drunk
      in years. They may be a small part of the economy sure tourism is tiny as well especially the Atlantic way coast. Be over cautious so don’t drive cars kill people don’t go on a bicycle cyclists get hit killed. Let’s be over cautious in case someone dies unnecessarily. Also stop all construction farming accidents happen save lives stop work.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Hardly. I said he was shot OR arrested. This indicates I dont know the facts. As per usual the actual facts come out later. Either way it wasnt social media . Our brains have always worked like this .
        You said he shot his mother! Which is not true, Gardai confirmed there was no-one else in the house.

Wtf in Blanch yesterday. Guy shoots his mother and 2 coppers in the feet. ( body shots qed) and conflicting rumours of him being arrested or shot dead. Fking hell.
        In the past (pre social media), people would have questioned that and found out the facts before repeating the BS
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I’ve not been drunk
          in years. They may be a small part of the economy sure tourism is tiny as well especially the Atlantic way coast. Be over cautious so don’t drive cars kill people don’t go on a bicycle cyclists get hit killed. Let’s be over cautious in case someone dies unnecessarily. Also stop all construction farming accidents happen save lives stop work.
          Are you getting the vaccine Sickpuppy? You must be due to register, if not already then pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I wondered how long it would take before you turned into a grumpy Irish taxpayer

Congratulations, you have passed the test. Your welcome pack is in the post.
            There's a group meeting with politicians about our ludicrous investing rules

Comment

Site for hitch

Comment

You said he shot his mother! Which is not true, Gardai confirmed there was no-one else in the house.

In the past (pre social media), people would have questioned that and found out the facts before repeating the BS
                It's the BBV not CNN . Here is where the nerds refute the BS before its disseminated . Remember the shot to kill debate ( blooming nirthside again) . I've not posted this on social media or anywhere else. You are a true norfsider defender.

Comment

Be over cautious so don’t drive cars kill people don’t go on a bicycle cyclists get hit killed. Let’s be over cautious in case someone dies unnecessarily. Also stop all construction farming accidents happen save lives stop work.
                  We got car deaths down from c.650 a year in the 70's and 80's when there were less than half the number of vehicles on the road to less than 200 a year and with a greater % decrease in serious injuries.
                  That's what over cautious does.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We got car deaths down from c.650 a year in the 70's and 80's when there were less than half the number of vehicles on the road to less than 200 a year and with a greater % decrease in serious injuries.
                    That's what over cautious does.
                    But 200 still die it’s to much. Ban cars

Comment

Are you getting the vaccine Sickpuppy? You must be due to register, if not already then pretty soon.
                      Undecided to be honest I’ll probably do what I’ve done for most decisions of my life and flip a coin to be honest.

Comment

It's the BBV not CNN . Here is where the nerds refute the BS before its disseminated . Remember the shot to kill debate ( blooming nirthside again) . I've not posted this on social media or anywhere else. You are a true norfsider defender.
                        Eastsider

Comment

Undecided to be honest I’ll probably do what I’ve done for most decisions of my life and flip a coin to be honest.
                          Why would you not get it?

Comment

Why would you not get it?
                            I don’t think I need it to be honest. I’m not afraid of a virus that has had little effect on my age group. I’ve know people who have had poor side effects after the vaccine. I’d sooner get immunity the old fashioned way. All my family all over 50 are getting or have hit it two of the sisters in education the other two work in medical dunno where I went wrong either. I don’t trust it the vaccine I don’t trust our government I don’t believe I’ll be able to receive 5 g through my arse or anything. I think come winter there will be a top up why I don’t know money profits ? Then yearly boosters. Think looking back it will be seen the biggest overreaction in our lifetime. I have never taken a flu jab either. Not had a day off work from illness in over 3 years. If people are vaccinated they have nothing to fear from me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

How many lives do you think the actions of our nanny state has saved over the last year?
                              Would you accept the need for a vaccine passport to identify those who are vaccinated?
                              If not, can you see the issues with non mask wearing?
                              That's besides the fact that we still don't know if vaccination stops the ability for the virus to spread.
                              Most likely in the future there will be some kind of nasal or oral treatment to stop the virus blooming in nose and throat but we aren't there yet.

Using your own analogy, do you see your current stance of no need for vaccine for demographics similar
                              to previous once more into the breach stances of;

just a cold on steriods
                              just kills old people
                              it's just seasonal
                              masks are inneffective anyway
                              1930s nazi propaganda
                              etc etc etc
                              How many cancer cases do you think have been missed by lack of screenings? And many other things which have a huge detriment to quality of life. In fairness the majority of people killed by or who were sick and reason of death were old were they not ? Of course it’s seasonal it’s a respiratory virus a nasty one. Masks ineffective to a degree for sure. You see 200 people on a super market breathing the same air you think a flimsy mask will stop minute particles? 1930s nazi propaganda ? No body is blaming the Jews it’s clearly the Chinese.

Comment

Why not hang around outside the covid ward and catch it so?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

There's a group meeting with politicians about our ludicrous investing rules

https://www.reddit.com/r/irishperson...eting_with_fg/
                                  This would be great. I'm also nagging VHI about the oul IBAN discrimination at the moment, and absolutely losing the head with AIB over them saying I can't save a "Non Irish" payee to my account even though it's a free transfer to another Euro bank. I asked when this remarkably straightforward feature would be available, and actually got a letter delivered out to the house with a "thanks for your query but please fuck off".

N26 my primary account now, wages into AIB so that they may see I can pay a mortgage, but money straight back out to N26 and all spending done through them instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                    Why not hang around outside the covid ward and catch it so?
                                    Seriously? Did I say I want it I’ll take my chances we’re you in Terenure college when that paedophile rugby coach was there ?

Comment

Seriously? Did I say I want it I’ll take my chances we’re you in Terenure college when that paedophile rugby coach was there ?
                                      The way out of this is via Herd Immunity, we need everyone* to get the immune response built. Either by vaccination or 'running the risk' with the disease. I would strongly suggest vaccination as the option almost everyone should take.

Nah - he was gone long before my time, think he was gone to UCD in early 90s.

* a very large proportion of the population
                                      Last edited by Emmet; 26-05-21, 12:25.

Comment

Mick the whole problem with your argument, and the reason it's such a widely held view in the US is because you think masks and vaccines are about you.

'flimsy mask, particles in a shop' 'I'm not afraid of a virus'

Mask wearing and vaccination is about keeping other people safe.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Mick the whole problem with your argument, and the reason it's such a widely held view in the US is because you think masks and vaccines are about you.

'flimsy mask, particles in a shop' 'I'm not afraid of a virus'

Mask wearing and vaccination is about keeping other people safe.
                                          100% - it's about the greater good.

Intuitively I know if I get it, I'll probably feel shitty for a couple of days and then I'll be grand.
                                          The problem is, if I get it and, in the period when I'm asymptomatic, I manage to give it to Mrs X net door.
                                          Whose kid has cystic fibrosis - and dies.

It's the equivalent of using blackout blinds in the London Blitz.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1694689&d=1622033205&type=thumb
                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday signed an executive order that bans government entities in the state from requiring face masks and fines those who do. Under the Republican governor's order, which goes into effect Friday, local governments or officials that implement mandatory masks can be fined up to $1,000.

Comment

Individualist cunce
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

didn't they also just sign into law that you no longer need a weapons permits to walk around with a handgun? will end well!

Comment

But 200 still die it’s to much. Ban cars
                                                    A good argument I heard was a response to some fool refusing to take a vaccine saying 'My body my choice' was to say that it was the equivalent of saying 'My car my choice to drive drunk'. I think that sums it up well.

We will get car deaths close as possible to 0 when we allow the machines to do the driving.

Comment

they also just passed some other fine progressive legislation down there in the Great State of Texas:
                                                      1. Anyone can carry a handgun - without a licence, background checks or training
                                                      2. A de facto ban on abortion
                                                      Yeehar!

Not content with this, they are also cooking the voting laws in such a way as to make it extremely difficult for minorities to vote.

Take it from Kinky Friedman:

Comment

If these activities start off with no bar concerts etc- where does it end ? Need a pass to get food in the supermarket visit a dentist doctor ? Longest lockdown in Europe economy in tatters businesses closing all around and people accept this it’s bewildering.
                                                        People out if work, businesses closed or folding, economy affected. So far, I’m following. That’s clearly a negative impact.
                                                        But how do you get from there to saying less not bother with vaccines and drag it out further? Just makes no sense. Without vaccines those things you listed are worse.

it’s like people saying they won’t get the vaccine because it will only mutate anyway. Oblivious to the fact that unvaccinated populations are what facilities mutation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                          People out if work, businesses closed or folding, economy affected. So far, I’m following. That’s clearly a negative impact.
                                                          But how do you get from there to saying less not bother with vaccines and drag it out further? Just makes no sense. Without vaccines those things you listed are worse.

it’s like people saying they won’t get the vaccine because it will only mutate anyway. Oblivious to the fact that unvaccinated populations are what facilities mutation.
                                                          what the Aussie strategy Mellor?

Obviously you have such low incidence that you're close to 100% reliant on vaccination to immunise the population. Is that the government play, and how are the population responding?

Comment

they also just passed some other fine progressive legislation down there in the Great State of Texas:
                                                            1. Anyone can carry a handgun - without a licence, background checks or training
                                                            2. A de facto ban on abortion
                                                            Yeehar!
                                                            background check would be carried out when purchasing from a firearm dealer.

of course, can be bypassed easily by simply buying privately.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

didn't they also just sign into law that you no longer need a weapons permits to walk around with a handgun? will end well!
                                                              How’s your own country? Are the city streets still heavily policed? Had a few days in Lourdes Toulouse a couple of years ago stunning countryside. Even the french we met were friendly never been to Paris though.

Comment

Vaccine passports are clearly a human rights violation. Some restrictions on individual rights are obviously required during a pandemic, but the state has no place mandating any medical intervention, no matter how safe or effective they claim it is. When the time comes, offer vaccine-hesitant people €200 to get it and watch the numbers fly up. The true believers can take their chances.
                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Now for something completley different.
                                                                  I'm fucking furious. We collected FIL from hospital and it's obvious he hasn't been washed or changed since he went in just under a week ago.
                                                                  He was kept in as doctor was concerned about progress of dementia and wanted to do scans etc. How anyone was able to examine or even give him a cup of tea without seeing or indeed smelling his condition is beyond me.
                                                                  I washed changed and showered him when we got home and I swear it was disgusting the state he was in. Pressure sore on his leg as well. Stinking to high heaven and absolutely filthy. The missus is livid too. He was in a ward specifically for elderly patients and were were told had a carer with him round the clock. He thinks he was away on holidays in spain so no way we can get an honest assessment of what went on. Complaint gone into James' and range duty nurse on ward. Bulling is an understatement.
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    Vaccine passports are clearly a human rights violation. Some restrictions on individual rights are obviously required during a pandemic, but the state has no place mandating any medical intervention, no matter how safe or effective they claim it is. When the time comes, offer vaccine-hesitant people €200 to get it and watch the numbers fly up. The true believers can take their chances.
                                                                    Giving someone covid because I insist on my right to be a tool and not get vaccinated, wear a mask, follow the rules...is that likewise a human rights violation?

Comment

Already doing that or variations of that in the states.
                                                                      I think passports work with exceptions.
                                                                      Public transport, essential shops, public services exempt sure.
                                                                      But I don't think it's outlandish to suggest int'l travel should be using it.

Comment

Already doing that or variations of that in the states.
                                                                        I think passports work with exceptions.
                                                                        Public transport, essential shops, public services exempt sure.
                                                                        But I don't think it's outlandish to suggest int'l travel should be using it.
                                                                        US universities already insisting on it for autumn reg

Comment

Human right violations ? We are spoilt and precious . Our collective EGOs are what's going to wipe us out.

Comment

How’s your own country? Are the city streets still heavily policed? Had a few days in Lourdes Toulouse a couple of years ago stunning countryside. Even the french we met were friendly never been to Paris though.
                                                                            genuinely no idea to be honest. haven't been in ages. most places around France are great with some good people. Paris on the other hand...

Comment

I'm fucking furious. We collected FIL from hospital and it's obvious he hasn't been washed or changed since he went in just under a week ago.
                                                                              He was kept in as doctor was concerned about progress of dementia and wanted to do scans etc. How anyone was able to examine or even give him a cup of tea without seeing or indeed smelling his condition is beyond me.
                                                                              I washed changed and showered him when we got home and I swear it was disgusting the state he was in. Pressure sore on his leg as well. Stinking to high heaven and absolutely filthy. The missus is livid too. He was in a ward specifically for elderly patients and were were told had a carer with him round the clock. He thinks he was away on holidays in spain so no way we can get an honest assessment of what went on. Complaint gone into James' and range duty nurse on ward. Bulling is an understatement.
                                                                              Obv that is unacceptable but the fact is that a lot of that kind of personal care has always been taken care of by visiting family, between covid keeping visitors out and Putin's hackers the whole system way beyond breaking point.
                                                                              Not certain but afaik personal care for people unable to look after themselves is not directly the responsibility of the nurses but of a specific team.

Comment

what the Aussie strategy Mellor?

Obviously you have such low incidence that you're close to 100% reliant on vaccination to immunise the population. Is that the government play, and how are the population responding?
                                                                                Immunisation will only happened through vaccination. The role-out isn’t happening too speedily as initial batches are going to places that need them.

I don’t think the population are really considering it tbh. Immunisation only really opens up international travel. There’s isn’t a huge impact on day to day life from covid. Everywhere is open, has been for months, I don’t had to wear a mask. Occasionally state borders close if there’s an outbreak which has minor business concerns. But for the most part it’s normal.

Still signing into places for contract tracing. Capacitys are slight down,which I’m ok with. Means it’s a lot easier to get a seat in a pub.

Comment

Vaccine passports are clearly a human rights violation.
                                                                                  What human rights are violated?
                                                                                  Obviously there degrees to how they could be implemented.

...but the state has no place mandating any medical intervention, no matter how safe or effective they claim it is.
                                                                                  Agreed. People should be free to not get the vaccine. That’s their choice, however selfish it may be.
                                                                                  However, choices you make make consequences.

Comment

Obv that is unacceptable but the fact is that a lot of that kind of personal care has always been taken care of by visiting family, between covid keeping visitors out and Putin's hackers the whole system way beyond breaking point.
                                                                                    Not certain but afaik personal care for people unable to look after themselves is not directly the responsibility of the nurses but of a specific team.
                                                                                    You doubtless have more experience of this kind of thing but I thought a ward specifically for dementia patients with constant supervision would have done something.
                                                                                    They had him on laxatives ffs, how do you let that go a week?

Comment

Vaccine passports are clearly a human rights violation. Some restrictions on individual rights are obviously required during a pandemic, but the state has no place mandating any medical intervention, no matter how safe or effective they claim it is.
                                                                                      Why hasn't it been flagged as a human rights violation up to now? Lots of countries have/had vaccine requirements for polio, smallpox, yellow fever before allowing you in, without it being regarded as an issue.

Comment

You doubtless have more experience of this kind of thing but I thought a ward specifically for dementia patients with constant supervision would have done something.
                                                                                        It's one of those things where everyone says it wasn't their job and nobody addresses the fundamental point about why wasn't it somebody's job to take care of a persons basic dignity.

​​​​​​
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is it a human rights violation that you cannot enter just about any country in Africa without a full set of up to date vaccinations for Yellow fever, dengue etc.?

Edit: in about 20 minutes after AJ, as per usual

Comment

Yeah international travel is not and has never been a right. Countries obviously can control their borders in whatever way they see fit. I'm talking about requiring vaccinations for things like going to a pub, a concert, a football match. Doubly so for use of public services like getting on a bus, going to school or collecting your dole. People use "vaccine passports" to mean both things interchangeably and it's a dirty trick.

Agreed. People should be free to not get the vaccine. That’s their choice, however selfish it may be.
                                                                                            However, choices you make make consequences.
                                                                                            If those consequences include being banned from otherwise legal activities, that's a form of mandate.
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Bray is blooming gorgeous today for anyone wondering how to spend an evening as lovely as this one.

We have our eye for dindins on a chicken place that offers a dish of crispy chicken on waffle with maple sauce.
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Oh yea I was thinking specifically of general wards, that's very poor.

HSE Complaints website is the way to go, you will get a response.

Comment

Yeah international travel is not and has never been a right. Countries obviously can control their borders in whatever way they see fit. I'm talking about requiring vaccinations for things like going to a pub, a concert, a football match. Doubly so for use of public services like getting on a bus, going to school or collecting your dole. People use "vaccine passports" to mean both things interchangeably and it's a dirty trick.

If those consequences include being banned from otherwise legal activities, that's a form of mandate.
                                                                                                  When did we stop the dole or start banning unvaccinated people from busses?

Comment

Definitely agree on that, but has it been suggested anywhere that a vaccine pass would be required for any of those things? I remember talk about it at one point in media but it doesnt seem to materialising anywhere?
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

When did we stop the dole or start banning unvaccinated people from busses?
                                                                                                      Just examples of potentially unvaccinated people using potentially crowded services m9.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Definitely agree on that, but has it been suggested anywhere that a vaccine pass would be required for any of those things? I remember talk about it at one point in media but it doesnt seem to materialising anywhere?
                                                                                                        What are all the driving license metaphors here for then? It's clear many people think we should have different sets of rules around gatherings for the vaccinated and the unvaccinated, and that they should be enforced by the state. It won't materialise in our government because thankfully they've realised it would be unconstitutional af. Plus it would be massive fodder for the loonies.

Comment

What are all the driving license metaphors here for then? It's clear many people think we should have different sets of rules around gatherings for the vaccinated and the unvaccinated, and that they should be enforced by the state. It won't materialise in our government because thankfully they've realised it would be unconstitutional af. Plus it would be massive fodder for the loonies.
                                                                                                          Was there a suggestion it should be added to driving licences? thats madness
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Not much quality of life for that man it seems. Sickens my hole that every person that works in health care is seen as an angel or in a vocation.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Why hasn't it been flagged as a human rights violation up to now? Lots of countries have/had vaccine requirements for polio, smallpox, yellow fever before allowing you in, without it being regarded as an issue.
                                                                                                              You have a human right to leave your country but it’s not the right to enter any country you choose.

Comment

To be fair, i'd love to see the anti vaxxers squirm if they couldn't do fuck all because they didn't have vaccination passports.

Comment

That sounds awful. Fair play to ye for looking after him. Mind yourself.
                                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My daughter way ahead of yous all it seems, her Immunisation Passport looking very well https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immuni...ortenglish.pdf

Comment

E2RmGNsWQAAHl17?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I have a few people in work who are being told to start coming back on a 50/50 basis from next week (in the US). Unvaccinated and squirming about trying to justify it but slowly coming to realise that maybe it's the price of reentry into society. And one that's worth paying.

Contractors in particular being told if they don't come in they can consider themselves terminated.

Comment

I have a few people in work who are being told to start coming back on a 50/50 basis from next week (in the US). Unvaccinated and squirming about trying to justify it but slowly coming to realise that maybe it's the price of reentry into society. And one that's worth paying.

Contractors in particular being told if they don't come in they can consider themselves terminated.
                                                                                                                          the second someone comes back unvaccinated and contracts or spreads, there'll be a lawsuit

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X