This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    I watched the Master recently - I absolutely loved it. Such a strange and interesting story, a great cast and directed superbly by Paul Thomas Anderson. I don't think there is a better director alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EGSWpBDbho
    He’s probably my Fav director

Some great interviews with him on YouTube with the lead actor in his movies. Charlie Rose ones are really good.
    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Nice round! I can only dream of shooting +5.

I got fitted for a TSi3 last week after trying 6/7 of the new models. Was between it and the Ping G425 Max (incredibly straight and forgiving) but the TSi3 had a much better flight/spin. I also changed from reg to stiff flex (swing speed is now around 103-109mph) which surprised me. For the first time, I saw a couple of balls dropping near the 250yd mark at the range and a typical miss is less punishing. The fitter (local pro) couldn't emphasize enough how much R&D and engineering is gone into the latest clubs to assist players. I'll take any help I can get.

My SS is 115-118 got a stiffer shaft in the Sim2 vs the M2. Hit one on the KClub simulator that got up to 170 ball speed. I’m hitting it consistently 280-290 with some going nuts distances. Hit a drive and 6 iron to a 520 yard par 5 on Saturday (slightly down wind but still)

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

He’s probably my Fav director

Some great interviews with him on YouTube with the lead actor in his movies. Charlie Rose ones are really good.
        Cool will check them out.

I think so too...every film is class. There are other directors I love too, but they all have some notable misses. I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love yet, but I heard Kermode rave about it so I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

My SS is 115-118 got a stiffer shaft in the Sim2 vs the M2. Hit one on the KClub simulator that got up to 170 ball speed. I’m hitting it consistently 280-290 with some going nuts distances. Hit a drive and 6 iron to a 520 yard par 5 on Saturday (slightly down wind but still)
          Great hitting. Really good swing speed. I’d say you are prob leaving some on the table with 280 (if that’s your total, if it’s carry then you are right abouts) but with 170 ball speed I’d say you are leaving some out there. Which is a great place to be in.

Im jealous, I think I struggle to break 105.

I picked up the Epic Max LS last week. Things a rocket ship.

I haven’t tried the Sim2 but I’ve got one coming in the mail (Taylormade warranty is the best).

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Dinosaurs still killing people today.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I'm short and not strong by any means so I was surprised to swing close to 110. I can only attribute that to better mobility since I started playing. What's your flexibility like?

I couldn't get any consistent strike off the Epic Max LS or the G425 LST. I don't know if it's a case of smaller heads or different CG in low spin drivers but they just didn't feel right for me. I didn't get to try the Sim2 or Cobra options but I'm beyond happy with TSi3. The new Cobras are awful looking compared to the previous models.

Comment

Swing speed 95 .

I'm embracing auld lad golf golden rule. Always on the green with at least a putt for par. Surprisingly easy to do. Hopefully I can keep the HC at 9.
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I love the names of these golf clubs.

Sounds like the branding that would be applied to impotence products.

got a stiffer shaft in the Sim2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Great hitting. Really good swing speed. I’d say you are prob leaving some on the table with 280 (if that’s your total, if it’s carry then you are right abouts) but with 170 ball speed I’d say you are leaving some out there. Which is a great place to be in.

I haven’t tried the Sim2 but I’ve got one coming in the mail (Taylormade warranty is the best).

I was carrying it over 300 with some on the simulator. It’s hard to know on the course but I’m getting a great tune out of it. My SS is probably around 110 when I’m playing. After hitting a load of balls in the range I can crank it up.

ive been christended dechambows
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was carrying it over 300 with some on the simulator. It’s hard to know on the course but I’m getting a great tune out of it. My SS is probably around 110 when I’m playing. After hitting a load of balls in the range I can crank it up.

ive been christended dechambows
                      Yeah that makes a lot more sense. Serious distance. Especially at sea level.

We benefit from 10-15% distance advantage here.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Can't believe no-one mentioned Barney Curley's death on here yet. Some genius at hatching plots. My father was involved with him in some way that he would never quite clarify.

RIP.

Comment

I'm short and not strong by any means so I was surprised to swing close to 110. I can only attribute that to better mobility since I started playing. What's your flexibility like?

I couldn't get any consistent strike off the Epic Max LS or the G425 LST. I don't know if it's a case of smaller heads or different CG in low spin drivers but they just didn't feel right for me. I didn't get to try the Sim2 or Cobra options but I'm beyond happy with TSi3. The new Cobras are awful looking compared to the previous models.
                          I’m short and not strong either really. Ive had my swing speed measured a few times, 105 ish. I prob play slower on course too tbh. Still here that gets me out there 280. I’d struggle at sea level I’d imagine. I’ve got a 50g shaft in it too. Lol. It’s actually all a bit pathetic when I type it out.

I am as flexible as uncooked pasta.

I put a dent in the face(toe) of my M5 and Taylormade warrantied it. But only after I’d managed to get our club pro to give me his staff Callaway for cheap. So now I’ve two 2021 drivers. Silly.

Excited to try the sim though given elbows speaks highly of it.

Comment

I think so too...every film is class. There are other directors I love too, but they all have some notable misses. I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love yet, but I heard Kermode rave about it so I'm looking forward to it.
                            Saw punch drunk love in the cinema and it’s one of my favourite films. Brought my dad to it and he even liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Can't believe no-one mentioned Barney Curley's death on here yet. Some genius at hatching plots. My father was involved with him in some way that he would never quite clarify.

RIP.
                              Great man, great obit.

Comment

I love the names of these golf clubs.

Sounds like the branding that would be applied to impotence products.

There's Xtra Stiff for the big swingers like elbows if that makes things any more titillating for you .

Funnily enough, the American coverage always has loads of drugs advertised, impotence ones regularly appear. RADSPEED has to be the worst Chad-bro name ever for a golf club, no idea how Cobra's marketing team okayed that one.

Comment

Do remember Trump got daily intelligence briefings. Although also remember he asked for them to be oral because he doesn't read.

If you read the Bob Woodward book, you can see that the odd fact actually permeated his thick skull. There was one famous call with Woodward where he, like a proud child showing off what he learned in school, confirmed he knew covid was an airborne disease and that it was very serious (Feb\Mar 2020 iirc).

So yeah Trump.
                                  But also POTUS, with all the power and access to information that goes with that.

I'd have an open mind.
                                  I was thinking this might be true until reading the Strew thread. It's just a rehash of the same old nonsense it seems. Put together by Trump in his last days in office. Such a prick that guy.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    Got myself up and moving for an hour thanks to the advice here. Hopefully pays off in the long run, back was getting very achy towards the end so taking a break back in bed now, but will be sure to shuffle around the place a bit in another hour or two. My chair at my desk doesn't help, I know that, too easy to slouch in it.

Hitch, if I wasn't writing on a tablet I'd try to impart all of my experience with bidding on houses, in case it would be of use. While looking in 2014/2015, we probably bid on around a dozen houses, going sale agreed ('winning' I guess) on three, two of which we subsequently withdrew from for different reasons. This time around we only bid on four, three of these simultaneously, so withdrew from bidding on two once we went sale agreed (we were the underbidders on those ones anyhow). In short I agree with what Ollie said, that in Dublin there's no need for much gameplay or 'tricks', figure out in advance the max you are willing to go before you start bidding, stick to it. Some people advise making huge bid increases to blow the other bidders out of the water, but personally think this is a good way of potentially costing yourself money. For example in one bidding war we were in, bids were increasing in 2.5k increments, then one side bid an extra 15k. All that did was speed things up slightly, as another bidder simply responded with the usual 2.5k on top. For our own sale, 11 different bidders were involved, and the winning bid was the usual 2.5k higher; if they had tried a bigger bid in that spot it would have been a waste (but I would have been happy!)

As you've already noted, don't underestimate the other costs - pay for a good survey when you are sale agreed, don't scrimp there or on the solicitor. Stamp duty and moving/storage costs also add up!

Hammer home the 'not in a chain, mortgage approved, genuine first time buyer' pitch with the EAs when bidding, it's a great position to be in.
                                    Thank you! We haven't got mortgage approval yet so might be getting ahead of ourselves. Who knows what will happen when they do a deep dive on my accounts. Apparently he wants to try Finance Ireland first. Some new crowd with great rates. Never heard of them before.

Comment

RIP.

Comment

There's Xtra Stiff for the big swingers like elbows if that makes things any more titillating for you .

Funnily enough, the American coverage always has loads of drugs advertised, impotence ones regularly appear. RADSPEED has to be the worst Chad-bro name ever for a golf club, no idea how Cobra's marketing team okayed that one.
                                        So golf club as substitute penis basically.

Freud would have a field day with all of this.

Comment

So golf club as substitute penis basically.

Freud would have a field day with all of this.
                                          That explains why my shots end up in the bushes despite my natural draw to the left .

Comment

...Would there be an appetite for a Euro 2020 predictions competition?... Would have a couple of weeks to get it going and entrants in... Thank post if interested- if get a few runners happy to run it a couple of ways depending on preferences...

Comment

RIP.
                                              Missed that till now, should make for some interesting obit reading.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

It's a marvellous film maybe his best right up there with there will be blood.

Barry Egan and Daniel Plainview now there's a pair!

Comment

Hurt my back on Thursday lifting a relatively light box; felt it go at the time. Pain was moderate on Friday but felt much better by the end of the day, during which I was pretty active. Think this was a bad idea as I was crippled on Saturday, can't bend or lift, can barely walk, but still had an unavoidable engagement in town so drove in and out, climbed stairs, etc.. Yesterday was even worse, was begging family for Difene (never had it before but know the reputation), got some well expired pills and spent day in bed. Today's the first one where I'm at least no worse than the previous! Still crippled but perhaps not quite as bad as yesterday. Also got my hands on 'fresh' Difene! Have no choice though but bed again as still can't sit or walk. Having no luck this year with my health. Any good tips for incapacitating lower back pain?
                                                  Have had issues on and off last few years lower back as well. Basically bottom 3 vertebrae get inflamed and pain shoots into my glutes ass. The only remedy for me is a session or two of physio exercises and some anti inflammatorys. The worst I had it was after a night in the fitz. Strained myself in work on the Monday had a session booked for Friday. Thirs night shower couldn’t bend get my feet horsed a foot into the sink heard a pop cripping pain. Had ticket for fitz EOM got in was uncomfortable was delighted to get knocked out in agony sweat pouring out of me. Friday therapist could not get the Spasms out had to help me with the tracksuit back on. Hobbled up to the doctor walk in one gave me Valium pain killers and antinflammatorys. Was off work for 5 weeks. If I was you I’d still go to the physio find the cause treat it then do preventable treatment to yourself until you have experienced it impossible to describe how debilitating it is.

Comment

I watched the Master recently - I absolutely loved it. Such a strange and interesting story, a great cast and directed superbly by Paul Thomas Anderson. I don't think there is a better director alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EGSWpBDbho
                                                    Roger Ebert summed it up perfectly for me.

"Fabulously well-acted and crafted, but when I reach for it, my hand closes on air. It has rich material and isn't clear what it thinks about it. It has two performances of Oscar caliber, but do they connect?"

But hay, there is no accounting for taste. I had to sit myself down recently and admit to myself that I like Budweiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

But hay, there is no accounting for taste. I had to sit myself down recently and admit to myself that I like Budweiser.
                                                      Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

If someone is capable of talking about 'good people on both sides' and injecting bleach to cure illness, I think its perfectly fine to give all their views a miss. Its not a blindspot, its avoiding a distraction from proper information sources that have a much higher chance of being informative.
                                                        Yeah you accused me of this the first time I brought it up. That I had got it from Fox/Trump and therefore it was nonsense.

Kinda amazing too, you're still going with the "good people" thing considering you can go watch the video of what he said.

If it had instead been promoted by serious scientific organisations
                                                        It's like you learned nothing about epistemology last year.
                                                        So much of what was promoted by experts or scientific organisations last year was completely rolled back or flipped. Even 2p2 trumped WHO/CDC over and over.
                                                        Experts in static domains good; experts trying to work in new / wicked / fast moving domains not so good. They're way behind people who deal with new info.

These are the kinds of people still promoting the food pyramid.
                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-05-21, 23:45.

Comment

Cad e an sceal?
                                                          Turns out there's credit risk when you're getting double digit apy

Comment

Got myself up and moving for an hour thanks to the advice here. Hopefully pays off in the long run, back was getting very achy towards the end so taking a break back in bed now, but will be sure to shuffle around the place a bit in another hour or two. My chair at my desk doesn't help, I know that, too easy to slouch in it.

Hitch, if I wasn't writing on a tablet I'd try to impart all of my experience with bidding on houses, in case it would be of use. While looking in 2014/2015, we probably bid on around a dozen houses, going sale agreed ('winning' I guess) on three, two of which we subsequently withdrew from for different reasons. This time around we only bid on four, three of these simultaneously, so withdrew from bidding on two once we went sale agreed (we were the underbidders on those ones anyhow). In short I agree with what Ollie said, that in Dublin there's no need for much gameplay or 'tricks', figure out in advance the max you are willing to go before you start bidding, stick to it. Some people advise making huge bid increases to blow the other bidders out of the water, but personally think this is a good way of potentially costing yourself money. For example in one bidding war we were in, bids were increasing in 2.5k increments, then one side bid an extra 15k. All that did was speed things up slightly, as another bidder simply responded with the usual 2.5k on top. For our own sale, 11 different bidders were involved, and the winning bid was the usual 2.5k higher; if they had tried a bigger bid in that spot it would have been a waste (but I would have been happy!)

As you've already noted, don't underestimate the other costs - pay for a good survey when you are sale agreed, don't scrimp there or on the solicitor. Stamp duty and moving/storage costs also add up!

Hammer home the 'not in a chain, mortgage approved, genuine first time buyer' pitch with the EAs when bidding, it's a great position to be in.
                                                            What approach do people take for valuing houses just out of curiosity? Is it just a case of setting a budget and finding something within it? I'd find it very difficult to try and compare places in terms of price. I find even trying to pick between somewhere to rent difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Turns out there's credit risk when you're getting double digit apy
                                                              What are you referring to?

Comment

Could be useful to think along the lines of doing "future you" a favour. Like if you were sitting in 5 years time for a glass of wine reading what would the room look like? Where would you be working and how would you get there from your home?

My missus blackballed instantly living in the country, which is reasonable for someone used to city life.
                                                                I have always lived somewhere with medium-large gardens and plenty of space so the balance between those 2 sets of requirements and what I can afford helped a lot to focus what were very nebulous thoughts.
                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

What are you referring to?
                                                                  Take your pick really

Comment

It's like you learned nothing about epistemology last year.
                                                                    So much of what was promoted by experts or scientific organisations last year was completely rolled back or flipped. Even 2p2 trumped WHO/CDC over and over.
                                                                    Experts in static domains good; experts trying to work in new / wicked / fast moving domains not so good. They're way behind people who deal with new info.

These are the kinds of people still promoting the food pyramid.
                                                                    On cue Ireland comes out with 105 minute guidelines

Comment

Birthday boy back in 1984ctalking about the Clancys. UB40 on stage in the background. Santana played also. The weekend when the nordies wrecked Slane.

Comment

What approach do people take for valuing houses just out of curiosity? Is it just a case of setting a budget and finding something within it? I'd find it very difficult to try and compare places in terms of price. I find even trying to pick between somewhere to rent difficult.
                                                                        There's some lovely data here that I use in classes: https://www.kaggle.com/shivachandel/kc-house-data/code

Can then turn it into something like this with pretty amazing prediction value: https://www.kaggle.com/shweta2407/re...ta-accuracy-87

I was looking at something like that for Ireland, or Dublin, but all we have really are house prices, so you can only predict from prior houses. There isn't enough data to build a proper model. I think DAFT are playing around with something like it, but its not very good.

Comment

I don't really get this - how is the kid white?

Comment

The cat also looks photoshopped in

Comment

https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-home.html
                                                                              Probably a reminder/homage for when you could get a black and white licence . The coloured TVs were extra.

Comment

There's some lovely data here that I use in classes: https://www.kaggle.com/shivachandel/kc-house-data/code

Can then turn it into something like this with pretty amazing prediction value: https://www.kaggle.com/shweta2407/re...ta-accuracy-87

I was looking at something like that for Ireland, or Dublin, but all we have really are house prices, so you can only predict from prior houses. There isn't enough data to build a proper model. I think DAFT are playing around with something like it, but its not very good.
                                                                                There's a couple start ups in Dublin trying to do valuation models.

Might be possible too you build on the tool that the Dublin guy put on medium a few weeks ago.

Comment

Great man, great obit.
                                                                                  I misread this as great orbit and thought what a nice euphemism for life...

Comment

I use a spreadsheet to compare houses I'm interested in, most important/easiest to determine metric is obviously €/square foot. But you also need to record location (distance to public transport / shops), aspect, garden size, quality of finish, etc... and have that in mind when comparing houses, as the simple €/square foot doesn't tell all. But often will certainly point out houses that are terrible value!

Comment

Might be possible too you build on the tool that the Dublin guy put on medium a few weeks ago.
                                                                                      I compare that to investing using a PB valuation when the whole world uses PE, you’re not getting that multiple expansion if your basis is wrong! If the market uses “feel” and you’re modelling based on what’s rationale im not sure it’ll help much with bidding.

Comment

Bryson comes across as a total head melter alright.........

Comment

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on what is important and what represents value; for example, my wife and I couldn't care less about having a big garden so long as a nice park is nearby (grew up in a house with a big garden, still did all our playing on the communal 'green' in the estate), which is very handy as the premium people pay in Dublin for big gardens is sizable.

Not gonna link directly, but just to illustrate what I would think is good value based on asking price right now in the area I'm most interested in, check out 3 Kerrymount Rise, 'Foxrock' (more Cabinteely IMHO). I'm sure lots would hate it for the lack of big back garden! If we weren't sale agreed I'd be in for that for sure. As for poor value, 4 Glencairn Pk, price per square foot is mad (it's about 120 sq meters of living space).

Comment

https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-home.html
                                                                                            I would have thought only one of those kids is white.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              Bryson comes across as a total head melter alright.........

What was said ? Or was it the spikes ? Fail to see Brooks problem

Comment

I use a spreadsheet to compare houses I'm interested in, most important/easiest to determine metric is obviously €/square foot. But you also need to record location (distance to public transport / shops), aspect, garden size, quality of finish, etc... and have that in mind when comparing houses, as the simple €/square foot doesn't tell all. But often will certainly point out houses that are terrible value!
                                                                                                Don't forget the 'what is the area like after dark?' metric

(not kidding btw, we pulled out of one potential house after seeing that the local skangers liked to use the green for general mayhem at night time. Being Clontarf of course, they were probably drinking handmade artisan IPA and arguing about what gender they are)

Comment

(not kidding btw, we pulled out of one potential house after seeing that the local skangers liked to use the green for general mayhem at night time. Being Clontarf of course, they were probably drinking handmade artisan IPA and arguing about what gender they are)
                                                                                                  I remember playing a league match in Bayside just up from Clontarf. Some rough scumbags hanging around. Any odds bud? Nowhere is safe north of the Liffey so wherever you are now will be dodgy . .

Comment

ah yeah. Do you have a link to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I remember playing a league match in Bayside just up from Clontarf. Some rough scumbags hanging around. Any odds bud? Nowhere is safe north of the Liffey so wherever you are now will be dodgy . .
                                                                                                      Bayside is out by Sutton you geographically challenged loon.

But yeah, you have the original Roddy Doyle Barrytown (Killester) out there too and it's still fairly rough in spots, although I suspect very much gentrified since Roddy scrawled out de bukes. Thankfully have Raheny and St Annes Park to act as natural defences against incursions from such areas.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I would have thought only one of those kids is white.
                                                                                                        ha. fair play to her if she adopted a black baby when she was 12. A lot of kids promise, very few follow through.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I compare that to investing using a PB valuation when the whole world uses PE, you’re not getting that multiple expansion if your basis is wrong! If the market uses “feel” and you’re modelling based on what’s rationale im not sure it’ll help much with bidding.
                                                                                                          More thinking just personal valuation. Or comparing two places. Kinda mad that one of the biggest financial and life decisions comes down to feel a lot.

Comment

But yeah, you have the original Roddy Doyle Barrytown (Killester) out there too and it's still fairly rough in spots, although I suspect very much gentrified since Roddy scrawled out de bukes. Thankfully have Raheny and St Annes Park to act as natural defences against incursions from such areas.
                                                                                                            Tis only up the road you deluded toff. They are your neighbours and let's be honest you want peoples odds too . You've just suppressed you inner Northside. Its grim up north .

Comment

Although, I guess most major life decisions come down to that

Comment

Tis only up the road you deluded toff. They are your neighbours and let's be honest you want peoples odds too . You've just suppressed you inner Northside. Its grim up north .
                                                                                                                Sure look your neighbours are all mad culchie fellas who spend their days roaring at sheep that have broken into their vegetable patch

I will maintain though that the true Dublin delineation is actually East\West.

The question is where does the line fall.....

Comment

Birthday boy back in 1984ctalking about the Clancys. UB40 on stage in the background. Santana played also. The weekend when the nordies wrecked Slane.
                                                                                                                  I was at that, was 15 and went with the brother and his girlfriend and a few others. Got there late and missed Santana.
                                                                                                                  Think "In Tua Nua" were on as well

Was at Springsteen the following year, another great concert.

Comment

Maybe its different in Dublin but in towns there is always an evolution over time in the skanger quotient hanging around particular estates and areas as time passes and families mature.

Comment

Which is handily enough where Roddy moved to after getting a bit of cash.

Comment

Sure look your neighbours are all mad culchie fellas who spend their days roaring at sheep that have broken into their vegetable patch

I will maintain though that the true Dublin delineation is actually East\West.

The question is where does the line fall.....
                                                                                                                        I've always said this but not in front of northsiders who take the bait.

Comment

I've always said this but not in front of northsiders who take the bait.
                                                                                                                          I found this in an encyclopedia so it must be true

Dublin map.png

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X