Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they not just emailing or calling to say a number and that's it? What are they reading from their face, lol.

Comment

Would have won the Eurovision if the US were allowed to enter.......

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I guess defi is blowing itself up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          Are they not just emailing or calling to say a number and that's it? What are they reading from their face, lol.
          Well I only heard it through my wife, as its her boss, but no it seemed to be about sitting in a room talking to estate agents.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            I guess defi is blowing itself up.
            Cad e an sceal?
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Bidding in the Dublin market I can't see your poker face making much of a difference. There will always be underbidders etc. so basically it's about making sure they know you are a legit bidder with no chain and mortgage approval in principle Hitch. Then it's about offers and counter offers. Very little poker to be played imo.

Bidding in the countryside where there may not be as many under bidders and vendors are prepared/expecting to wait a little longer before selling etc. it's important to perhaps set the tone that you could lose interest and go looking elsewhere....definitely more games to be played....

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

This Belarus thing is insane.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Been a while since I heard of 'bloggers' being a notable grouping.

Comment

A 'terrorist' blogger, soon to be executed.

Flights will be taking the long way around Belarus in future I'd say.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Younger brother is trying to get on the ladder in Dublin, me and other family were gonna throw in a few chunky contributions to help him get a decent deposit but the sums are just mind boggling. Obvs the black north is a 3rd world country, but literally half the price. 190k buys a decent class semi D in reasonable areas in Newry/Belfast outright.
                      Browse Through More Than 60,000 Properties For Sale And Rent In Ireland And Northern Ireland. PropertyPal Is Your Best Friend In Property.

Looks like he will need 100k+ just for deposit for some shithole in knackerville so far from Dublin City centre it's borderline fraudulent to describe it as being actually in Dublin.
                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Cad e an sceal?
                        Crypto across the board plummeted in value.
                        Bitcoin approx 50% from ATH and Ether over 50%

This in the wake of Chinas ban on Crypto payments
                        Musk tweeting
                        Huobi exchange scaling back on transactions
                        Climate change organisations now not accepting payments in Bitcoin
                        US tightening on disclosure of transactions over $10k (not sure if that's happened yet)

Think I'll invest in books

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Someone was saying that they made all their bids through the solicitor, as they felt the estate agents were able to read their facial expressions a bit too well.
                          Is there anything to stop estate agents making up phantom bidders?

Comment

Coincidentally I was helping my dad set up his crypto account tonight as he's going to join me on the DOT train.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

maybe its something on that. They'd be less likely to try to insinuate anything if its a solicitor they were speaking to.

Comment

Only found out about stamp duty today, so I'm quite far behind the curve for someone who might be getting mortgage approval soon. And solicitors fees. ffs.

Comment

maybe its something on that. They'd be less likely to try to insinuate anything if its a solicitor they were speaking to.
                                  Obviously goes on. There should be an independent, transparent bid logging system.
                                  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ules-1.3816717

Peoples identity could be obfuscated. But you should be able to see a history of bids from say bidder A,B,C and D all the way through the process until it comes down to the last one.

Make a chart of bid histories. You will see trends and sweet spots and get a feel for optimum bidding increments.

If bidding, be super firm when your stop bid is reached.

Comment

Only found out about stamp duty today, so I'm quite far behind the curve for someone who might be getting mortgage approval soon. And solicitors fees. ffs.
                                    Don't exclude the engineer's report too required by the bank to prove the house in alright shape.
                                    Pay cash, they'll say whatever you want.
                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Magic stuff in the golf with Harrington and Lowry finishing up together and then seeing everyone else start to fold them into the big money.

Lowry should have stuck the birdie on 18 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                        Magic stuff in the golf with Harrington and Lowry finishing up together and then seeing everyone else start to fold them into the big money.

Lowry should have stuck the birdie on 18 though.
                                        Just need a gigantic meltdown from Phil over the difficult closing holes (and Oosthuizen to drop one more), and the Irish lads are in a playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Just need a gigantic meltdown from Phil over the difficult closing holes (and Oosthuizen to drop one more), and the Irish lads are in a playoff.
                                          Worth a fiver or 2 @ 200+ to 1 . However be great to see Phil take it done for us ol geezers

Comment

Koepka falling to bits. Missing three footers like they're going out of fashion. Fair play to Lowry and Paddy, solid final round and finished top of the euro pile. Unless Phil has an epic meltdown they'll need to scratch his name off the trophy.

I shot 90 yesterday which beat my pb by 8 strokes. Felt like Tiger knocking in a par on 18

Comment

Need Louis to drain this eagle for some drama

Comment

Ugh, he left putts at 15 and 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                  Ugh, he left putts at 15 and 16.
                                                  On him @ 110s to add to the pain

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

On him @ 110s to add to the pain
                                                    Was on him at 1000/1 ew T3.

Decent place for Shane but that hurt. Harrington posts -5 I think we have a different tourney.

Amazing from Phil.
                                                    Last edited by elbows; 24-05-21, 06:13.
                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

That's Masters Invites for next year for the lads too

Comment

Mad that the idea of covid originating in a lab close to the original outbreak was treated as a mad conspiracy for so long.

Comment

Mad that the idea of covid originating in a lab close to the original outbreak was treated as a mad conspiracy for so long.
                                                          Well it is just a theory about a possible conspiracy. Even if it ends up being true, can't see how it makes any difference with how to deal with the result.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1694478&d=1621848912&type=thumb I reckon Koepka and others fell away due to the Phil effect. Tiger used to blow away his opponents not just by his Golf but also by his persona . A lot of them were beaten before they even t’eed off. I think Philo gave off that aura this week. In the past he’s drive his way out of contention. When he chipped in on the par 3 you could see Koepka looking at him like WTF. If Phil adapted his game years ago he would have won a lot more majors. I remember winning on Davis Love against him when Love was 40s. Phil was leading but pulled his unnecessary drive onto the beach. I saw this this morning. Even his mother was afraid of the old Philo.
                                                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Well it is just a theory about a possible conspiracy. Even if it ends up being true, can't see how it makes any difference with how to deal with the result.
                                                              It makes a huge difference to the scientists working in this area of research, the governments that fund them, and the news media that unquestioningly reports the things they say.
                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Another lovely fresh conspiracy theory for ye...... Ireland were given HSE decryption key for free last week because they agreed to facilitate Belarus plane hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                  filedata/fetch?id=1694478&d=1621848912&type=thumb I reckon Koepka and others fell away due to the Phil effect. Tiger used to blow away his opponents not just by his Golf but also by his persona . A lot of them were beaten before they even t’eed off. I think Philo gave off that aura this week. In the past he’s drive his way out of contention. When he chipped in on the par 3 you could see Koepka looking at him like WTF. If Phil adapted his game years ago he would have won a lot more majors. I remember winning on Davis Love against him when Love was 40s. Phil was leading but pulled his unnecessary drive onto the beach. I saw this this morning. Even his mother was afraid of the old Philo.
                                                                  Was amazing given the 1st hole tbh, from the second hole on Koepka played as how I thought Phil might, and Phil played how I thought Koekpa might.

I overread the first completely, Phil was huge to immediately turn it back around.

Comment

Not really, there is a log they have to keep and they can be audited after a complaint etc. It used to be a standard thing in the past but these days there is no need for fake bids, and an extra 10k gets them 100e or something, minus costs. They don't care about small increments in price really as it is just effort. I'm sure it still happens but not as much as people think. Be great to have a nice bidding system.

Comment

The great lyricist Yip Harburg, who wrote somewhere over the rainbow amongst many great songs , once said, “Words make you think thoughts, music makes you feel a feeling, but a song makes you feel a thought.”

Happy birthday uncle Bob, hard to believe the twists and turns since I was shocked at hearing that the lad whose new album, blood on the tracks, was an old man who had turned 45

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Another lovely fresh conspiracy theory for ye...... Ireland were given HSE decryption key for free last week because they agreed to facilitate Belarus plane hijack.
                                                                        That is gloriously insane, I love it
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hurt my back on Thursday lifting a relatively light box; felt it go at the time. Pain was moderate on Friday but felt much better by the end of the day, during which I was pretty active. Think this was a bad idea as I was crippled on Saturday, can't bend or lift, can barely walk, but still had an unavoidable engagement in town so drove in and out, climbed stairs, etc.. Yesterday was even worse, was begging family for Difene (never had it before but know the reputation), got some well expired pills and spent day in bed. Today's the first one where I'm at least no worse than the previous! Still crippled but perhaps not quite as bad as yesterday. Also got my hands on 'fresh' Difene! Have no choice though but bed again as still can't sit or walk. Having no luck this year with my health. Any good tips for incapacitating lower back pain?

Comment

Wombats WhatsApp Groups (TM)

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                              Hurt my back on Thursday lifting a relatively light box; felt it go at the time. Pain was moderate on Friday but felt much better by the end of the day, during which I was pretty active. Think this was a bad idea as I was crippled on Saturday, can't bend or lift, can barely walk, but still had an unavoidable engagement in town so drove in and out, climbed stairs, etc.. Yesterday was even worse, was begging family for Difene (never had it before but know the reputation), got some well expired pills and spent day in bed. Today's the first one where I'm at least no worse than the previous! Still crippled but perhaps not quite as bad as yesterday. Also got my hands on 'fresh' Difene! Have no choice though but bed again as still can't sit or walk. Having no luck this year with my health. Any good tips for incapacitating lower back pain?
                                                                              Physiotherapy
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                Usually best thing for it sadly is movement. walking, light bending etc. Usually lower back pain is caused by muscles spasming and contracting incredibly tightly to protect a sudden inflammation of one thing or another, and so light movement is the best and only way to work them and get them to relax. not pleasant but i get it occasionally as well and that's what the physio always recommends.

Comment

No its not 'mad'.

It was pushed mainly by Trump, whose other big claims to fame was coining the phrase 'Wuhan Flu' and arguing that injecting bleach would cure covid. When that's the origin of the rumour, why would anyone believe it? If it had instead been promoted by serious scientific organisations, which it wasn't, then people would have given it serious consideration.

I remember, at the time, saying the exact same thing. That it is perfectly feasible that these bio-labs might leak a virus as it frequently happens in the US. Here's a quote from a Reuters article on that. So it was always possible a virus could come from a lab.

According to a 2012 report by CDC scientists, there were 16 incidents of lost or escaped microbes from select-agent labs in 2004, meaning everything from misplaced samples to an infected researcher walking out the door harboring a virus. That rose to 128 in 2008 and 269 in 2010.

But when the people who are promoting it are mainly driven by racism, then its probably not true. That was then, and is now, a fine logic to take. In a world of information overload, we need to weight information by the origin of the information.

Also, I think even now its highly uncertain that there was a leak.

Comment

For the plumbers of IPB or those who've gotten some work done on their houses over the last couple years.

Was chatting with my friend on Friday who got a whole new heating system installed in his house and he was it all controlled through his Tado system with smart valves in every room to be able to control the temp (individually) has his system on constantly and he remarked that where the thermostat in my house (located in the landing hall) is not the correct place. Got some work done on the house a couple years ago and got a new boiler & heating system installed plus insulation on the whole house, our heating system & hot water are on a separate system where you can have one on without the other being affected unlike back in the day you'd need to have the heating on to get water which isn't ideal in the middle of summer. I'd love a smart house and to get loads of stuff installed but my father isn't exactly Mr Technology and want to keep things as simple for him.

Anybody done research or point me in the direction of some good reading material or care to explain their efforts?
                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

No its not 'mad'.

It was pushed mainly by Trump, whose other big claims to fame was coining the phrase 'Wuhan Flu' and arguing that injecting bleach would cure covid. When that's the origin of the rumour, why would anyone believe it? If it had instead been promoted by serious scientific organisations, which it wasn't, then people would have given it serious consideration.

I remember, at the time, saying the exact same thing. That it is perfectly feasible that these bio-labs might leak a virus as it frequently happens in the US. Here's a quote from a Reuters article on that. So it was always possible a virus could come from a lab.

But when the people who are promoting it are mainly driven by racism, then its probably not true. That was then, and is now, a fine logic to take. In a world of information overload, we need to weight information by the origin of the information.

Also, I think even now its highly uncertain that there was a leak.
                                                                                      It didn't originate with Trump. It was a weird blindspot to dismissed it because Trump also happened to say it.

Comment

Cad e an sceal?
                                                                                        no story, just the prices went down a lot recently. The protocols themselves worked great under enormous pressure

Comment

It didn't originate with Trump. It was a weird blindspot to dismissed it because Trump also happened to say it.
                                                                                          I don't think its a blindspot. Its was all the monster raving looneys who were pushing it. We can't be wasting our time giving serious consideration to ideas pushed by unserious groups. Like in the same way as gript might occasionally publish something useful, but the best life strategy is to assume everything they publish is wrong.

Comment

Made an omelet for lunch there that seemed to showcase the amazing benefits of following a few simple cooking rules.

I gave a bit of consideration to the ingredients beforehand, the big chef thing, rather than just chucking in a lot of stuff. Very finely sliced scallions, cut ham into small squares, crumbled some bleu d'auvergne. All ready on a plate in a nice mise-en-place which allowed me to judge the ingredients relative to each other - ended up chucking some of the bleu to not make the dish too salty. Pan to the right temperature and then a few minutes later - voila.

I wonder if the big thing missing from normal cooking, apart from knife skills, is just taking a moment to consider the ingredients together? I'm still very hit and miss, but just a mile ahead of where I was.

The current part of the cooking course is on dry heat. So roasting things. The veg I roasted yesterday were ridiculously simple and yet so far ahead of regular attempts. Today is roast brussel sprouts. The idea is to see how dry heat helps to concentrate flavours.

Comment

I don't think its a blindspot. Its was all the monster raving looneys who were pushing it. We can't be wasting our time giving serious consideration to ideas pushed by unserious groups. Like in the same way as gript might occasionally publish something useful, but the best life strategy is to assume everything they publish is wrong.
                                                                                              It's 100% a bind spot to ignore something because it suits someone else's agenda.

It wasn't even an out there idea. New outbreak near a lab that's had issues before.

Comment

It wasn't even an out there idea. New outbreak near a lab that's had issues before.
                                                                                                Who exactly said it was a mad conspiracy ?

At the time Trump was using the theory without any screed of evidence it mattered not a single fuck how it started and using its origin was only a race baiting tactic to distract from his own abject failure to deal with the reality as his uselessness and vanity was directly killing hundreds of thousands of US citizens.

Of course it is a theory that needs to be investigated, of course its going to be difficult if not impossible to ever prove when the Chinese state will resist any finding that points to it. Proving the origin remains outside the top 100 list of things that need to be dealt with in the ongoing pandemic. However it is an obvious thing to deduce that wherever it came from that enhanced bio security anywhere that viral research occurs is crucial

Comment

It's 100% a bind spot to ignore something because it suits someone else's agenda.

If someone is capable of talking about 'good people on both sides' and injecting bleach to cure illness, I think its perfectly fine to give all their views a miss. Its not a blindspot, its avoiding a distraction from proper information sources that have a much higher chance of being informative.

Comment

If someone is capable of talking about 'good people on both sides' and injecting bleach to cure illness, I think its perfectly fine to give all their views a miss. Its not a blindspot, its avoiding a distraction from proper information sources that have a much higher chance of being informative.
                                                                                                    Do remember Trump got daily intelligence briefings. Although also remember he asked for them to be oral because he doesn't read.

If you read the Bob Woodward book, you can see that the odd fact actually permeated his thick skull. There was one famous call with Woodward where he, like a proud child showing off what he learned in school, confirmed he knew covid was an airborne disease and that it was very serious (Feb\Mar 2020 iirc).

So yeah Trump.
                                                                                                    But also POTUS, with all the power and access to information that goes with that.

I'd have an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Usually best thing for it sadly is movement. walking, light bending etc. Usually lower back pain is caused by muscles spasming and contracting incredibly tightly to protect a sudden inflammation of one thing or another, and so light movement is the best and only way to work them and get them to relax. not pleasant but i get it occasionally as well and that's what the physio always recommends.
                                                                                                      This. I had similar issues 6 years or so ago. Always, the best immediate thing was movement. Hobble up and down your living room if that's all you can do. Then get outside and walk around when you can.
                                                                                                      Don't lie down, don't sit in an armchair. Sit in a hard-backed chair.

I did physio, went pretty well until he got me lifting weights and I had a relapse. Ever since then been cycling a lot and it seems to keep the back in working order. I notice running can set it off.

Welcome to middle age.

Comment

Do remember Trump got daily intelligence briefings. Although also remember he asked for them to be oral because he doesn't read.

If you read the Bob Woodward book, you can see that the odd fact actually permeated his thick skull. There was one famous call with Woodward where he, like a proud child showing off what he learned in school, confirmed he knew covid was an airborne disease and that it was very serious (Feb\Mar 2020 iirc).

So yeah Trump.
                                                                                                        But also POTUS, with all the power and access to information that goes with that.

I'd have an open mind.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Got myself up and moving for an hour thanks to the advice here. Hopefully pays off in the long run, back was getting very achy towards the end so taking a break back in bed now, but will be sure to shuffle around the place a bit in another hour or two. My chair at my desk doesn't help, I know that, too easy to slouch in it.

Hitch, if I wasn't writing on a tablet I'd try to impart all of my experience with bidding on houses, in case it would be of use. While looking in 2014/2015, we probably bid on around a dozen houses, going sale agreed ('winning' I guess) on three, two of which we subsequently withdrew from for different reasons. This time around we only bid on four, three of these simultaneously, so withdrew from bidding on two once we went sale agreed (we were the underbidders on those ones anyhow). In short I agree with what Ollie said, that in Dublin there's no need for much gameplay or 'tricks', figure out in advance the max you are willing to go before you start bidding, stick to it. Some people advise making huge bid increases to blow the other bidders out of the water, but personally think this is a good way of potentially costing yourself money. For example in one bidding war we were in, bids were increasing in 2.5k increments, then one side bid an extra 15k. All that did was speed things up slightly, as another bidder simply responded with the usual 2.5k on top. For our own sale, 11 different bidders were involved, and the winning bid was the usual 2.5k higher; if they had tried a bigger bid in that spot it would have been a waste (but I would have been happy!)

As you've already noted, don't underestimate the other costs - pay for a good survey when you are sale agreed, don't scrimp there or on the solicitor. Stamp duty and moving/storage costs also add up!

Hammer home the 'not in a chain, mortgage approved, genuine first time buyer' pitch with the EAs when bidding, it's a great position to be in.

Comment

Ah here. How did Trump get back into topic.

Comment

So yeah Trump.

I'd have an open mind.
                                                                                                              This is the story in question. So he was getting briefed (accurately) in private, just seems as though he would invent his own reality in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                Ah here. How did Trump get back into topic.
                                                                                                                It was HH Your Honour.

Comment

BTW there is a good thread putting the latest claims about the origin of the virus into context

?s=20

Comment

This. I had similar issues 6 years or so ago. Always, the best immediate thing was movement. Hobble up and down your living room if that's all you can do. Then get outside and walk around when you can.
                                                                                                                    Don't lie down, don't sit in an armchair. Sit in a hard-backed chair.

I did physio, went pretty well until he got me lifting weights and I had a relapse. Ever since then been cycling a lot and it seems to keep the back in working order. I notice running can set it off.

Welcome to middle age.
                                                                                                                    Get a yoga ball . Works . Plenty of yoga ball exercises on YouTube. Should do these daily . Sitting is a disaster, try to make standing part of the day .

Comment

Shot 77 Gross in first comp back (off 5) got the sim 2 driver and it’s a serious weapon. Going to get the Taylor Made P770’s too (haven’t changed irons in 10 years at least) tried the 7 iron and it’s the nicest iron I’ve ever hit. Looks like a blade but way more forgiving - thank god I can get them at cost price as they are mad money
                                                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                        Shot 77 Gross in first comp back (off 5) got the sim 2 driver and it’s a serious weapon. Going to get the Taylor Made P770’s too (haven’t changed irons in 10 years at least) tried the 7 iron and it’s the nicest iron I’ve ever hit. Looks like a blade but way more forgiving - thank god I can get them at cost price as they are mad money
                                                                                                                        Nice round! I can only dream of shooting +5.

I got fitted for a TSi3 last week after trying 6/7 of the new models. Was between it and the Ping G425 Max (incredibly straight and forgiving) but the TSi3 had a much better flight/spin. I also changed from reg to stiff flex (swing speed is now around 103-109mph) which surprised me. For the first time, I saw a couple of balls dropping near the 250yd mark at the range and a typical miss is less punishing. The fitter (local pro) couldn't emphasize enough how much R&D and engineering is gone into the latest clubs to assist players. I'll take any help I can get.

Comment

I watched the Master recently - I absolutely loved it. Such a strange and interesting story, a great cast and directed superbly by Paul Thomas Anderson. I don't think there is a better director alive.

http://www.facebook.com/moviemaniacsDE - Darsteller / cast: Philip Seymour Hoffman , Joaquin Phoenix , Amy AdamsGenre: dramaRegie / directed by: Paul Thomas...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X