Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have gone over the 2m doses administered mark sometime in the last 24 hours...would be nice to think we can do the next 1m in < 4 weeks (which we should, assuming supply tracks as expected) and then another 1m by the first week of July.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

what source are you using for that raoul? the covid app has stopped updating with vaccination numbers since the hack.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It seems to be a universal rule that that place is heaven for women and hell for men.
        You could probably use it as a test to find out if some people are really trans women. Save time and money on some of those therapist sessions.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Mellor would probably have the best handle on this but I'd guess that unless the possibility was designed in a rebuild would be cheaper.
          Yikes! That true Mellor ?

Comment

In other vaccine news:

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Split my bet, and first physical cash used in maybe six months, as:

€70 Malta win, 6/1
              €40 Ukraine to finish in Top 5, 3/1
              €40 Romania to finish as Top Balkan State, 18/1
              where are you getting those odds?
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

where are you getting those odds?
                that was in the paddypower shop. Took the odds from the website and the guy behind the counter confirmed. did I look up something wrong?

Edit: ah, I see Ukraine has come in a lot since a few hours ago. Its the least interesting of the three bets anyway.

Comment

what source are you using for that raoul? the covid app has stopped updating with vaccination numbers since the hack.
                  It's at 1.922m doses now, which is at a lag of at least 3 days (which means we've gone over 2m during the lag).

And 250k a week was achieved last week and is supposed to continue (and accelerate) from here on.

Mostly I get this from de wife, who seems to sit in on innumerable meetings of this sort.

Comment

In other vaccine news:

Give me that J&J one and done goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Tuesday evening, half an hour before closing - if you know exactly what you want and where to find it - is the nut time to visit.
                      If you can find me a woman that is capable of sticking to that Id happily marry her on the spot.

In for a couch - "Oooh look bath salts, oooh scented candles, i think ineed a new pillow (30 min job it seems), those plants look nice for my office, would this unit fit in the en-suite, i like that LED lighted mirror - lets investigate the whole range (calls salesguy over) etc etc
                      Last edited by Dice75; 18-05-21, 13:00.

Comment

It's at 1.922m doses now, which is at a lag of at least 3 days (which means we've gone over 2m during the lag).

And 250k a week was achieved last week and is supposed to continue (and accelerate) from here on.

Mostly I get this from de wife, who seems to sit in on innumerable meetings of this sort.
                        nah - those are out of date numbers. You can see the 1.922m figure here also. But that number has been frozen since May 11th due to the hack. We're probably up near 2.2m now, 2.5m by the end of the week. You can see from here, that the last update was last Tuesday: https://covid-19.geohive.ie/pages/vaccinations

this is all good news, of course. except the near certainty that you'll have to ship me cash which I'll then probably use to feed my crypto habit

Comment

In other vaccine news:

So tomorrow is a good day to turn 45 then. Go me.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Now that vaccination is becoming a reality, and we seem to have a choice - its waaaaay better to choose Pfizer, no? There's ample time for the second shot before holidays rear their heads, and it seems to give far better protection. I get the upfront benefit of the J&J, but surely we want the maximum protection as it seems like Pfizer will be more robust to variants.
                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-05-21, 13:04.

Comment

Now that vaccination is becoming a reality, and we seem to have a choice - its waaaaay better to choose Pfizer, no? There's ample time for the second shot before holidays rear their heads, and it seems to give far better protection. I get the upfront benefit of the J&J, but surely we want the maximum protection as it seems like Pfizer will be more robust to variants.
                              A lady asked me that yesterday, she had done a Tar Mammy on it and turned down AZ.

Told her I'd take whatever they want to jab into me.

Comment

A lady asked me that yesterday, she had done a Tar Mammy on it and turned down AZ.

Told her I'd take whatever they want to jab into me.
                                I think they're going to give you a choice (everyone under 49). You could say 'whatever', but sure if you have a choice its probably best to have a choice. Obv the only two feasible are J&J (one shot and done) or Pfizer (one shot now, second about four weeks later).

Comment

Tough read....

Comment

this is all good news, of course. except the near certainty that you'll have to ship me cash which I'll then probably use to feed my crypto habit
                                    this is good news too as I will be jabbed, plus I will keep you hooked for future prop bet squeezing

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                      Can't even read it.

I muted their Dad on twitter because I just couldn't handle it. Poor guy. Desperately sad.

Comment

I think they're going to give you a choice (everyone under 49). You could say 'whatever', but sure if you have a choice its probably best to have a choice. Obv the only two feasible are J&J (one shot and done) or Pfizer (one shot now, second about four weeks later).
                                        So you think Pfizer is optimal then based on what you said earlier?

Comment

To say NI and ME conflicts have nothing to do with religion is pretty ridiculous.
                                          They're about land grabs and oppression. Tribal land grabs, with religion at the centre of those tribal identities.
                                          Well, good thing I said it's not over religion.
                                          And I stand by that. Obviously there is a clear link to religious denomination. But I still maintain that this is a co-related factor, not the cause. And that also wasn't a random notion I took reading the BBV today. It's a topic I've given reasonable consideration.

Land grab and oppression (for material gain) is on the mark in my opinion. The history is a complex one. The actual land grab occurred before protestantism even existed. The logical origin point for the change in tribal identity, is the plantations starting in the 16th century, in particular the final, Ulster plantation. The crown under Henry VIII publicly opposed protestantism at first, but he later got on board in order to divorce his first wife, and so spilt from Rome. The first plantations started about 20 years later - under "Bloody Mary", the last catholic monarch.

The plantations in Ulster were slightly later again, and the more successful. They created a population of displaced natives, and a planted ruling class of aristocracy - who happened to be protestant (as was the crown by then). But the crux of it for me, had Bloody Mary's reign or plantations been more successful, the same thing still would have happened. A foreign ruling aristocracy still would have existed to oppress the natives. Only they'd have largely been catholic. All the issues still occur. People weren't going to any more on board with being displaced by English catholics.
                                          The issues stem from the fact that the native population was displaced. The people displacing happened to be protestant, and the fact they had a different interpretation of the blood of Christ was really not the issue.

Once rule was established, there was absolutely catholic specific oppression for a time. But by 1900, religion was entirely removed. It had fully become a Nationalist vrs Loyalist issue. Those who had who had an Irish identity verses those that did not. An Irish identity, not a religious one. Many of the nationalist leaders were themselves protestants. Robert Emmet, Parnell, Constance Markievicz, Roger Casement, Erskine Childers, Sam Maguire (ironically given rule 42). The next 100 years religion changes from being a non-issue to being a essentially a 100% co-relation.
                                          Have people been killed purely because of their religion. Of course. Do the people involved actually care about the differences the two religions. Not in the slightest. It's what it's associated with rather than what it represents.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk,
                                          Last edited by Mellor; 18-05-21, 14:09.

Comment

Yeah, no chance I'm going to read that

Wonder how long before us 40-44 year olds have to wait - sure I'll be 45 in 2.5 months, let me in now HSE! Very likely will be homeless for most of August, so half thinking that two weeks with the family in England would be fun, ferry over and back. Surely that will be allowed by then, yeah?

Comment

Brilliant stuff Mellor, very well explained.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                Yeah, no chance I'm going to read that

Wonder how long before us 40-44 year olds have to wait - sure I'll be 45 in 2.5 months, let me in now HSE! Very likely will be homeless for most of August, so half thinking that two weeks with the family in England would be fun, ferry over and back. Surely that will be allowed by then, yeah?
                                                Thought for a second there you were thinking of living on the streets to get the Janssen jab

Comment

What have you got against the Moderna one?

Comment

So you think Pfizer is optimal then based on what you said earlier?
                                                    I think so. It seems to be the one that stands up best to any type of variant, and there's no real 'cost' to waiting a few extra weeks for the second jab as its not like you can ship to Lanzarote in the meantime, and even the first jab gives excellent protection. I think they're both great, just that pfizer is greatererererer

Comment

Can't even read it.

I muted their Dad on twitter because I just couldn't handle it. Poor guy. Desperately sad.
                                                      ugh even the first line of that article.

dice getting revenge for a morning spent in ikea the little fucker

Comment

What are you basing this on? I haven't seen data that suggest Pfizer offers far better protection than J&J (assuming you understand the meaningfulness of the different time and places they conducted their trials in).

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

stupid hipster vaccine, it's even got a hipster name ffs

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What are you basing this on? I haven't seen data that suggest Pfizer offers far better protection than J&J (assuming you understand the meaningfulness of the different time and places they conducted their trials in).
                                                            Well its not based on a deep-dive, but NY Times vaccine tracker has Pfizer efficacy at 92% vs J&J 72%, in both cases those numbers are based on US trials and in both cases testing was carried out approximately between August and November last year.

Now you obviously know something I don't know as this seems like the type of question where you ask something first and then follow it up with an aha moment. What am I missing?

I'm also thinking - and this is maybe slightly magical thinking - that booster shots are far easier to develop under Pfizer mRNA than traditional vaccine shots. But would you then benefit from having the Pfizer base set of vaccines if the boosters are most likely to also be Pfizer? Like maybe it would all be more likely to play well together. I fully recognise that this part of my thinking on the matter may have flaws, so will largely rely on the trial efficacy data unless you are about to correct that (and indeed correct the New York Times).

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

doesn't seem to be enough of them to be worth thinking of. Its just the same as the Pfizer one, no? So can be grouped together.

Comment

Yikes! That true Mellor ?
                                                                Yeah. Could well be a non-runner from the start. Looks like its a concrete lower structure with a lightweight steel upper level. So really real chance the steel is only sized to support a roof and not a level on top. The concrete probably have a bit more reserve strength, so the options possibly exists to demolish the current level and rebuild two levels that can support themselves.
                                                                Even if the structure was the capacity. The roof likely holds the plant for the entire building, so that would all need to be reconfigured.

I wouldn't really have my finger on the costs of that kind of work in Dublin. If I had to pull a figure out of the air, I'd say over €3,000 per m2. It's probably 1800-2000m per level. So looking at €15m per level, so 1 is probably not possible. So really €30m for the two level rebuild option.

Comment

If you can find me a woman that is capable of sticking to that Id happily marry her on the spot.

In for a couch - "Oooh look bath salts, oooh scented candles, i think ineed a new pillow (30 min job it seems), those plants look nice for my office, would this unit fit in the en-suite, i like that LED lighted mirror - lets investigate the whole range (calls salesguy over) etc etc
                                                                  Ah, you seem to have missed the key points in my post.

At no point did I make reference to this being anything other a solo mission.
                                                                  If you bring anyone else with you, you will fail.
                                                                  It's also quite likely you will suffer irreversible psychic and indeed physical harm.

The items you require must be clearly specified before you leave the house.
                                                                  There must be zero ambiguity as to what you are getting.
                                                                  You are getting these things and these things only.
                                                                  Do not bring your phone, this way you cannot be contacted when your wife decides to change her mind as she invariably will.
                                                                  Ideally get her to sign a legally-binding contract as to the goods desired.

Lash around the M50.
                                                                  Know exactly what you are getting.
                                                                  Know where to get it and how to get there in the shortest possible time.
                                                                  Kill anything that gets in your way.
                                                                  Get it, pay and GTFO.

You will be back home inside an hour with your mission completed.
                                                                  Pour yourself a large drink.

Make sure someone else gets the job of putting the fucker together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah. Could well be a non-runner from the start. Looks like its a concrete lower structure with a lightweight steel upper level. So really real chance the steel is only sized to support a roof and not a level on top. The concrete probably have a bit more reserve strength, so the options possibly exists to demolish the current level and rebuild two levels that can support themselves.
                                                                    Even if the structure was the capacity. The roof likely holds the plant for the entire building, so that would all need to be reconfigured.

I wouldn't really have my finger on the costs of that kind of work in Dublin. If I had to pull a figure out of the air, I'd say over €3,000 per m2. It's probably 1800-2000m per level. So looking at €15m per level, so 1 is probably not possible. So really €30m for the two level rebuild option.
                                                                    Thats really useful. Thank you! It seems I might need to change our fundraising plans from 'build a floor!!' to 'reinforce our steel reserve strength!!'.

Comment

I'm the putter together of things in work, heavy lifting, slightly heavy lifting, attic climbing into for storage, official cleaner of ice cream machine, window washing, computer problem fixer, understander of archaic ordering systems plus everything else that everyone does

Co workers: "Oh were doing up a rota for jax cleaning, Thurs good for you"
                                                                      Me: "No problem once we establish the rota for (see above)"
                                                                      "Eh..hmmm.. sure maybe we can handle it between ourselves"
                                                                      Me: "If you think that's best"

Comment

Thought i might be able to read the article with the mother but stopped when she attempted murder the first time via poisoning. Ever since having kids a few years ago i've found it incredibly difficult to stomach that stuff. Pretty common.

Just read another article from today of a stranger walking tup to two toddlers in a garden down the road from me and burning one of their faces with a mini (chef's i take it) blowtorch.

He received 3 years with 16 months suspended. I've no idea what the correct sentence is but Jesus knowing he'll be out next year is tough for the family and area.
                                                                        A lot of grim news floating around at the moment.

Comment

ice cream machine, huh

that's taking the piss now

Comment

I read the article. The tragedy is not something I have the words for but I cant understand why they need to print the details of it. It just empties you . Maybe I just hope somebody somewhere in similar position is reading it and runs as far away from their kids as possible. We need to look people in the eye. We need to be educated what to look out for , what questions to ask. The patient doctor relationship cant be the only process . There has to be flags and pointers to watch out for these people. No way in hell would my missus be left to look after the kids if she was mentally ill. Not judging here.

Comment

ice cream machine, huh

Watched a little YouTube video on why the McDonalds ice cream machine is broken so often.

is the mcdonald's ice cream machine broken?

Apparently it's big business to the crowd that have a monopoly on supply and service of the machines.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Thats really useful. Thank you! It seems I might need to change our fundraising plans from 'build a floor!!' to 'reinforce our steel reserve strength!!'.
                                                                                Sorry, just noticed a typo in my costs.
                                                                                1800-2000m2 @ €3000 is not €15m it’s €6m. Not sure what I did there.

Had a look around there for any more info. Found the original architects page. Confirms that lower levels are concrete and the top lightweight steel as I thought. And the reason why it’s like that will interest you...

The lightweight top level, was itself an extension back in 2007. It’s more obvious in the far side photos.

Comment

ice cream machine, huh

Yep living the dream

I must say I quite enjoy the product testing part of the job!

Comment

Italy entry not bad but very White Strips esque.

Irish Entry.....

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Watched a little YouTube video on why the McDonalds ice cream machine is broken so often.

is the mcdonald's ice cream machine broken?

Apparently it's big business to the crowd that have a monopoly on supply and service of the machines.

Way to much time on your hands!

*
                                                                                      Currently watching border collie pups doing funny stuff

Comment

Mortgage insurance offer came back - had to be sent to reinsurers ffs. They quoted a 350% risk premium. What would normally be €125 a month will cost €700 a month. Thats not the mortgage, that's just the freaking insurance. Not sure there's much to do except suck it up for a year and then renegotiate (hopefully). I think being two years out from an operation, so a years time, should lead to a big drop. Plus having an active mortgage. But jaysus. Was not expecting that.

Comment

Mortgage insurance offer came back - had to be sent to reinsurers ffs. They quoted a 350% risk premium. What would normally be €125 a month will cost €700 a month. Thats not the mortgage, that's just the freaking insurance. Not sure there's much to do except suck it up for a year and then renegotiate (hopefully). I think being two years out from an operation, so a years time, should lead to a big drop. Plus having an active mortgage. But jaysus. Was not expecting that.

Think we pay 30 quid a month, that's horrendous, (even accounting for the fact that you are stitched together with superglue and a staple gun ). Get a bunch of quotes.

Comment

Fuck that, Hitch.

Keep renting or head for the continent again. That is mental.

Comment

Well that's the rate after going to reinsurers. I'm wondering if it's because I haven't yet gone past the 12 month point post operation.

Comment

Did you have to go to a doctor as part of the process or just give your medical history?

Comment

Well that's the rate after going to reinsurers. I'm wondering if it's because I haven't yet gone past the 12 month point post operation.
                                                                                                  Maybe they have uncovered your posting history and assumed you are a very unstable genius

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                    Did you have to go to a doctor as part of the process or just give your medical history?
                                                                                                    They talked to the cardiologist and he noted there was something else in the heart also that was a risk factor. I think that then helped increase the weighting. Although they've massively over-reacted as the cardiologist was telling me everything is going so well that he was thinking of pushing out the checkups to every two years.

Comment

Yikes, that sucks

Comment

Oh, just remembered. I also had to describe myself as a smoker, as only quit on June 30th last year, and you only count as a non-smoker after 12 months. So that must have caused the risk weighting to skyrocket.

Think I'll go ahead with the mortgage application and then ask the broker to reapply for insurance from July 1st, at which point there's no operation in the last 12 months and I'm a non-smoker. Should be good for a decent enough drop, hopefully. gulp.

Comment

I'm not in the least bit surprised. I have a friend with auto-immune hepatitis. She spent a year doing the rounds of insurers and brokers for life cover and mortgage. Not one of them would cover her. They eventually settle on just the husband having cover but she will never be able to get anything. My missus had to go for a special medical for mortgage cover because she's from Brazil and not 5 years in Ireland at the time.

Comment

Mrs Lao Lao has a very unique way of shopping (outside of food shopping) and it involves picking up every single item in a shop to have a look at it.

And I mean EVERY.SINGLE.FUCKING.ITEM.

A trip to Ikea could easily be a full day trip. I now point blank refuse to go with her if she wants to go there.

Plus, she is not happy when I don't agree to pick stuff up from there for her (I work 5 minutes from the place). Apparently, 'Ask me bollix' is not any acceptable answer to any request from your wife - Who knew?

Comment

Oh, just remembered. I also had to describe myself as a smoker, as only quit on June 30th last year, and you only count as a non-smoker after 12 months. So that must have caused the risk weighting to skyrocket.

Think I'll go ahead with the mortgage application and then ask the broker to reapply for insurance from July 1st, at which point there's no operation in the last 12 months and I'm a non-smoker. Should be good for a decent enough drop, hopefully. gulp.
                                                                                                              I had to get mortgage protection just for me self as the missus medical history caused them all to run.

In better news

Eurovision bitches
                                                                                                              ​​​
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Any other WFH laptop users experiencing neck/back pain?

Am in bits with it the last week. Visited a physio and it's neck muscle related. Putting it down to bad posture on the lappy.

Comment

Any other WFH laptop users experiencing neck/back pain?

Am in bits with it the last week. Visited a physio and it's neck muscle related. Putting it down to bad posture on the lappy.
                                                                                                                  I only arse around at home(not working), and got myself a screen to plug the laptop into ages ago. Then got a stand to make the screen higher. Still need to get a better chair.

Comment

Refurb steelcase Leap, the nut office chair.

Combine with one of these

Was crippled with shoulder pain 4 or 5 years ago, setting up ergonomically correct sorted it all out.
                                                                                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

It's only a matter of time before some guy beats his wife to death in IKEA with the leg of a nicely fitted table.

Comment

Kahneman's new book is out.

I was just reading the other week about how several chapters of Fast and Slow have effectively been retracted. Wonder will it get a mention.

2011 was an important year in the history of psychology, especially social psychology. First, it became apparent that one social psychologist had faked results for dozens of publications ( Second, …
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-05-21, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                          https://www.adverts.ie/office-tables...chair/23166300

Refurb steelcase Leap, the nut office chair.

Combine with one of these

Was crippled with shoulder pain 4 or 5 years ago, setting up ergonomically correct sorted it all out.
                                                                                                                          that's weird. from the front it looks identical to a freedom chair without the headrest.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X