This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

How do you see the next 25 years+ going in Africa? In theory, with a young population, lots of resources, and improving infrastructure and internet penetration, things should boom.

But on the other hand, when I was in East Africa every time I bought a sim cards/did anything official, it took five people, and about an hour to get done. Time had no meaning. I accidentally left a guy waiting for over an hour, and it was like nothing had happened. So maybe the entrepreneur drive is not there.

That's just 'Africa time'. 100% standard.

To illustrate, in South Africa, they have three version of 'now'.

"Hey Denny, I got that book for you, when do you want it?"
    1. Now (i.e. whenever, but certainly not any time soon)
    2. Just now (i.e. fairly soon but no real sense of urgency - maybe later this week
    3. Now now! (right fucking now )
    Once you drop your cultural preconditioning, it's actually pretty cool.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Thanks for the pm. Definetely going to consider it.

What breathing technique do you use for running?

Just finished "breath" recently. He's a bit out there. it's a clasic tale of long lost old age wisdom, recently rediscovered. But he agues that we should be nose breathing during sport, like Sanya Richards-Ross.

I'd heard of Wim Hof in passing before, but Tummo was new to me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48890486-breath
      Remember as a kid being told by many different coaches . Breathe through the nose. I could never breathe any other way when all out ever since . Was hard work with the swimming . Breathing really is important. Through the nose keeps it regular . My very amateur experience.2 cents .

Comment

Isn't a substantial portion of the costs KYC/Compliance/AML. I can't image that defi will be able to just go around that.
        Well regtech will decimate kyc, compliance costs. Its already doing it a lot. I can't imagine progress in that will see much of a drop in the amount extracted out by traditional finance. Not least as they have no incentive to improve themselves and implement cost saving measures.

Was just looking tonight at how defi has creating these liquidity pools in crypto trading. Its not a new idea, but the scale of how it has been developed and adapted to create new trading markets is fascinating. The innovation is all happening there, and even if it hasn't become mainstream yet, something will emerge because that's where all the innovation variants are being seeded. On the other hand, AIB can't let me register my revolut account as a regular payee account as its not an Irish IBAN. I refuse to believe they are that bad in personal banking and amazing at business banking. And maybe investment houses are amazing, but I'm not so sure. Elite traditional banking is a very narrow genepool and they don't hire for innovation.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Thanks for the pm. Definetely going to consider it.

What breathing technique do you use for running?

Just finished "breath" recently. He's a bit out there. it's a clasic tale of long lost old age wisdom, recently rediscovered. But he agues that we should be nose breathing during sport, like Sanya Richards-Ross.

I'd heard of Wim Hof in passing before, but Tummo was new to me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48890486-breath
          I've never really understood the logic of the nose breathing argument. Volume of oxygen is important so it's always seemed to me that sucking in via both is optimal, certainly at high intensity.

I read about a technique a couple of years back of breathing with your diaphragm, again with the goal of maximising volume. I think I still do that, I'm not sure.

Posture is far more important though, chin up, back straight. Bad posture with your chin down effectively kinks the windpipe..
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

We are back baby - https://www.aldi.ie/little-town-anti...12088472563901

Comment

Why do protests about Israel attract so much more attention than any other conflict?
              Is it because we hold democracies to a higher standard? Is it just anti-semitism?
              I'd say its the only country where, upon hearing they have shot dead more kids on land they have stolen from another country, a significant number of people take the time to comment: are people only criticising Israelis for killing kids on land they've stolen because they are anti-semitic? No other country in the world gets the same pass that they do for despicable acts.

Hence why the most shared image is of Hamas attacking Israel (as per your picture), rather than the dead children. Ever politician is scared senseless of criticising Israel for being the shits they most certainly are. The campaigning against anyone who criticises Israel on anything is brutal - so why would any politician invite that into their life in order to protest the killing of the kids of nobodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'd say its the only country where, upon hearing they have shot dead more kids on land they have stolen from another country, a significant number of people take the time to comment: are people only criticising Israelis for killing kids on land they've stolen because they are anti-semitic? No other country in the world gets the same pass that they do for despicable acts.

Hence why the most shared image is of Hamas attacking Israel (as per your picture), rather than the dead children.
                I'm not sure where you're getting the last bit from. The coverage is overwhelming pro Hamas.

You don't see these people on the street for any other conflict.

​​​​

Comment

I'm not sure where you're getting the last bit from. The coverage is overwhelming pro Hamas.

​​​​
                  You're right of course (unless the protestors for other causes have donned invisibility cloaks). I hope it's pro-Palestinian sentiment generally, rather than pro-Hamas specifically.

If it's the latter, that's pretty scary shit. Considering what Hamas\Iran stand for.

Comment

​​​​
                    Trinity Labour Soc may not have the same international status as whole actual countries wondering what the Palestinians can do to stop their kids being killed.

Comment

Trinity Labour Soc may not have the same international status as whole actual countries wondering what the Palestinians can do to stop their kids being killed.
                      Put pressure on Iran\Hamas to stop launching rockets at Israel and stop hiding said rockets among a civilian population?

Netanyahu is an absolute scumbag and should be in jail for corruption, but for a moment imagine you are him and this chain of events ensues:
                      1. You have localised protests in Jerusalem - stone throwing, headbangers on both sides dong headbanger things. But it is primarily a policing action and not by any means a militarised one. Remember that this is the West Bank (full of illegal Israeli settlements), where the Palestinian Authority is under the control of Fatah (not Hamas). Nothing is going on in Gaza, whereas Hamas rule and there are zero Israeli settlements.
                      2. Hamas (and Islamic Jihad) - both Iranian backed proxies - fires hundreds of rockets at Israeli cities from Gaza. These rockets are carefully concealed among the civilian population of Gaza.
                      What do you do?
                      We're talking literally hundreds of missiles a day being aimed at your major population centres.

Now imagine you are, say Angela Merkel. Or Ursula von der Leyen.
                      You obviously want the conflict to stop. Today.
                      What's the first phone call you make in support of that objective?

Comment

It’s such a shame that the ordinary Palestine citizen is considered as collateral damage by both Hamas and Israel. Surely there must be a solution other than land mines of continuous and tenuous cease fires. Then Hamas pull the tails of Israel and Israel overreact as they predict and more Innocents are killed. The lack of compassion for children and Innocents on both sides of this leaves me feezing cold in any empathy to Hamas or Israel stances
                        I remember as a kid being taught by a KillyBegs RA head for 3 years. Through him I was fuelled with anger at the atrocities committed by the Brits throughout our history , however once the IRA started bombing innocent people , I lost any respect for them as a legitimate force. Don’t get me wrong I still believed in the cause (sue me) BUT I had no faith or support in the route they took to carry it out. The bottom line is , if you are killing innocent ordinary people. You are WRONG IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          There's a vertical blind motor in development, we had one but discontinued it. It's a difficult thing to get right with the multi functions.

Should be available towards the end of the year if it's something you do want down the road.

Roller blinds can work out well on sliders too though.
                          I’ll keep and eye out for it. I imagine it’s quite awkward to get vertical automated blinds right. All the poxy little gear boxes and cords.

Rollers could be ceiling mounted to avoid stacking doors. But the issue is awkward trying to go through the doors with the blinds down. First world problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            It’s such a shame that the ordinary Palestine citizen is considered as collateral damage by both Hamas and Israel.
                            You have put your finger right on the money there.
                            (Although it would be more accurate if you said by 'both Iran and Israel'. Given Hamas is a fully-owned subsidiary.)

Hamas clearly feel that launching their rockets from within the civilian population, knowing exactly what the outcome will be, is a winning play for them.

So the real question here is why has Iran decided to escalate the conflict right now? What leverage do they get out of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

So the real question here is why has Iran decided to escalate the conflict right now?
                              oh dear lord.

so the people killing the kids are not really killing the kids, but its someone else entirely.

Comment

oh dear lord.

so the people killing the kids are not really killing the kids, but its someone else entirely.
                                no, that is sophistry.

The question is why are the Iranian Hamas\PIJ proxies in Gaza launching thousands of missiles at Israeli population centres. Knowing full well what the Israeli response will be.

Do you have an answer? I have some ideas myself but would be interesting to see what you think.

Comment

Its all part of the ongoing horrific treatment of Palestinians, and all arabs, in Israel. They are complete scumbags, and they evidentially feel no shame about it, given they criticised Simon Coveney and summoned the Irish ambassador to government for saying (in very careful language) 'would you mind not killing Palestinian kids'. Simon Coveney strikes as someone very guarded and careful in his words - why second-guess him based on some odd belief that Israelis killing kids is somehow someone else's fault.

Comment

Jaffa juice is probably the easiest thing not to touch if you want to send a small message. Produced on occupied territories.

Comment

no, that is sophistry.

The question is why are the Iranian Hamas\PIJ proxies in Gaza launching thousands of missiles at Israeli population centres. Knowing full well what the Israeli response will be.

Do you have an answer? I have some ideas myself but would be interesting to see what you think.
                                      I mean I can't help you, if you haven't yet learned that the Palestinians want their land back. Which according to international law is their land. How is this confusing to you.

That seems a separate matter to Israelis killing kids - actual kids, not comic book or fictional novel kids.

58 kids.

Comment

Its all part of the ongoing horrific treatment of Palestinians, and all arabs, in Israel. They are complete scumbags, and they evidentially feel no shame about it, given they criticised Simon Coveney and summoned the Irish ambassador to government for saying (in very careful language) 'would you mind not killing Palestinian kids'. Simon Coveney strikes as someone very guarded and careful in his words - why second-guess him based on some odd belief that Israelis killing kids is somehow someone else's fault.

Was that an answer to the question of 'why are the Iranian Hamas\PIJ proxies in Gaza launching thousands of missiles at Israeli population centres?'

You must see that there is an element of cause and effect here. It's not like the IDF decided to start bombing Gaza on a whim.

Comment

Jaffa juice is probably the easiest thing not to touch if you want to send a small message. Produced on occupied territories.
                                          Jaffa cakes on the other hand are all good.

Comment

Anyway, I'm not going to spend any more time on the incredibly frustrating topic. I realise defending Israel killing kids is up there alongside 'you know who the real racists are - the blacks', as a deeply held hot take that will never budge.

I'm instead planning to walk to Blackrock and casually pop into my GP and see if they will vaccinate me.

Comment

It takes an empathy bypass, the likes of which is typically achieved by reading Ayn Rand as a teenager, to fail to recognize that the power imbalance and geopolitical game is so overwhelmingly rigged against the Palestinian people.
                                              There Are bad guys on both sides but this cycle is being completely controlled by Bibi's cynicism
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I mean I can't help you, if you haven't yet learned that the Palestinians want their land back. Which according to international law is their land. How is this confusing to you.

That seems a separate matter to Israelis killing kids - actual kids, not comic book or fictional novel kids.

58 kids.

Question . What do Hamas wish to achieve by firing rockets?
                                                getting their land back is not a good answer.

Comment

Question . What do Hamas wish to achieve by firing rockets?
                                                  getting their land back is not a good answer.
                                                  Question: What do the Israelis wish to achieve by bombing international schools and killing 58 kids in a few days?
                                                  Being angry at rockets being fired that they are easily able to stop is not a good answer.

Maybe answer that question first and we can move on to secondary diversionary nonsense.

Comment

That's my original question though. Why is it only this protest that brings them out. I don't think they were supporting the end of other bad state actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      It takes an empathy bypass, the likes of which is typically achieved by reading Ayn Rand as a teenager, to fail to recognize that the power imbalance and geopolitical game is so overwhelmingly rigged against the Palestinian people.
                                                      There Are bad guys on both sides but this cycle is being completely controlled by Bibi's cynicism
                                                      I'll agree with you there, the sooner Netanyahu is out of power (and in a jail cell) the better for Israel and the region generally.

And yes, to the first point, Israel now has an overwhelming technological, military and economic advantage - which they feel emboldened to utilise as long as the US veto at the Security Council is in place. I thought Obama came close at times to repudiating Netanyahu, he was certainly sickened by him..

But on the Palestinian side, they have been badly served for decades by their leadership (Arafat was a corrupt thug who paved the way for the jihadist takeover of Gaza, and probably soon the West Bank too. The Camp David talks were Palestine's best hope and he sabotaged them.) - but even worse served by their supposed 'allies' in the Arab world. Look who they have ended up with as their primary ally and key sponsor of Hamas\PIJ rocketeering.

Comment

That's my original question though. Why is it only this protest that brings them out. I don't think they were supporting the end of other bad state actors.
                                                        I don't think anyone has answered your question (which sparked this entire debate).

I mean if we want to be outraged at the death of Arab civilians, we need only look as far as Syria where an estimated 207,000 civilians have been killed since the start of the conflict, 25,000 of them children.
                                                        For some reason that doesn't spark the same reaction. You even have eminent figures on the Irish left who deny the brutality of Assad's regime and their violence against their own people.

Or, to take another example, civilian deaths in Yemen where an estimated 12,000 have been killed, including 3,000 children.

Why is that? I don't know. But your question is a very good one.

Comment

Simply affinity with their situation and Ireland's? Even 100 years ago the IRA were writing about Palestine's similarity to Ireland, Churchill sent the Black and Tans to Palestine etc. It's something that has been around that I've heard about since I've been alive as a cause, so it tends to stick.

Comment

I think Solks actually came up with the most balanced commentary on the whole thing.

Comment

I Googled "easy peeler" yesterday or the day before due to its mention here as a lunch item. Took me to Tesco site on clementines where I saw the message Not Suitable for Vegans. Apparently some fruits are waxed by being sprayed with a substance made from crab shells or bugs. So it's not even vegetarian.

Comment

Seems the GP is planning to vaccinate Cohort 7 'sometime in June', which seems worse than useless.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I Googled "easy peeler" yesterday or the day before due to its mention here as a lunch item. Took me to Tesco site on clementines where I saw the message Not Suitable for Vegans. Apparently some fruits are waxed by being sprayed with a substance made from crab shells or bugs. So it's not even vegetarian.
                                                                  A lot of unnaturally shiny things, sweets etc have a shellac coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Simply affinity with their situation and Ireland's? Even 100 years ago the IRA were writing about Palestine's similarity to Ireland, Churchill sent the Black and Tans to Palestine etc.
                                                                    The first President of Israel was an Irishman.

Comment

On to the potentially even more explosive topic - given the bookies are now open and those of us pretending to be sane for the purposes of a mortgage can now bet - who are we thinking is in with a decent shot for the eurovision this week?

Comment

Or, to take another example, civilian deaths in Yemen where an estimated 12,000 have been killed, including 3,000 children.
                                                                        Ah you can't be protesting every Johnny-come-lately international atrocity. The quality newspaper subscriptions alone would be prohibitive. Stick to the El Clasico of the Jews vs the Muslims.

Comment

On to the potentially even more explosive topic - given the bookies are now open and those of us pretending to be sane for the purposes of a mortgage can now bet - who are we thinking is in with a decent shot for the eurovision this week?
                                                                          I am convinced Jordon Speith will win this week.

Comment

Seems the GP is planning to vaccinate Cohort 7 'sometime in June', which seems worse than useless.
                                                                            Friend just got his in his early 30's, no conditions, GP rang up and asked did he want it. What's up with that, they run out of old people down that way?

Also my mother is well vaccinated by now after turning down the Astra.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              Home automation
                                                                              alexa, google home is more than enough for most.
                                                                              I'm in the middle of trying to configure this for the house.
                                                                              Stupid things like switching networks by moving means all my old gear has to be set up again.
                                                                              Yeah. I’m definitely content with plug and play.
                                                                              have enough of a pain in my ass with the TV dropping the networks once a week.

Was kinda hoping you’d have a full blown Wallace and Grommit morning routine going.

Comment

I don't think anyone has answered your question (which sparked this entire debate).

I mean if we want to be outraged at the death of Arab civilians, we need only look as far as Syria where an estimated 207,000 civilians have been killed since the start of the conflict, 25,000 of them children.
                                                                                For some reason that doesn't spark the same reaction. You even have eminent figures on the Irish left who deny the brutality of Assad's regime and their violence against their own people.

Why is that? I don't know. But your question is a very good one.
                                                                                The other kids need to up their PR to this level.

kvHxI8s.jpg

Comment

Ah you can't be protesting every Johnny-come-lately international atrocity. The quality newspaper subscriptions alone would be prohibitive. Stick to the El Clasico of the Jews vs the Muslims.
                                                                                  Ah, but this is where you can gain geopolitical oneupmanship points by pointing out the wonders of less televised, sorry I mean mainstream, conflicts.

Any love for Armenia-Azerbaijan?

Comment

This is really cool..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ah, but this is where you can gain geopolitical oneupmanship points by pointing out the wonders of less televised, sorry I mean mainstream, conflicts.

Funnily enough I've always had a thing for the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. Not that that has extended to ever knowing anything about it. But I like their names and approve of their ongoing conflict. Come to think of it I don't really know anything about Turkey-Russia relations.

Comment

Funnily enough I've always had a thing for the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict. Not that that has extended to ever knowing anything about it. But I like their names and approve of their ongoing conflict. Come to think of it I don't really know anything about Turkey-Russia relations.
                                                                                        Putin and Erdogan were definitely carving up Syria between them. Putin got himself a Mediterranean naval and airbase out of it.

I think they are definitely two characters who would recognise themselves in each other, let's put it that way.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1693974&d=1621259038&type=thumb
                                                                                          I think Solks actually came up with the most balanced commentary on the whole thing.
                                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                            This is really cool..

Yeah heard that before. Found it really interesting from a planning/mapping point of view. At first I was a bit puzzled. Thinking that even if fungi/slime was 100% optimum at mapping. There’s almost no chance that a system designed over a 100 years, in bits and pieces, for a changing population, by humans got it close to optimum.
                                                                                            But then I realised we probably did it the other way. Built the transport system, and naturally optimised the population to suit capacity of the system.

Comment

I think the galling part of these atrocities is the thought that right now some kid is alive and kicking and tomorrow his body will be butchered by a fk off rocket in his bedroom window .
                                                                                              . basically over religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

The other kids need to up their PR to this level.

kvHxI8s.jpg
                                                                                                Is that the Gaza Strip he’s wearing or are they from Dunnes

Comment

basically over religion.
                                                                                                  It has nothing to do with religion. RDIII will now formally strip you of his compliment.

Comment

It has nothing to do with religion. RDIII will now formally strip you of his compliment.
                                                                                                    I'm not stripping him of anything.

The more coverage Solks has, the better it is for the rest of humanity.

Comment

Question: What do the Israelis wish to achieve by bombing international schools and killing 58 kids in a few days?
                                                                                                      Being angry at rockets being fired that they are easily able to stop is not a good answer.

Maybe answer that question first and we can move on to secondary diversionary nonsense.
                                                                                                      They can’t stop all the rockets. Do you think Hamas have morals courage and would not fire from a crowded area. They know there will be a huge and destructive backlash but fire them anyway. I do t think the average Israeli cares how many Palestinians die in the fighting- massacre. And all sleepy Joe Biden will say is they have the right to defend themselves.

Comment

It’s a common misconception. Same way that people on the outside looking out at the Troubles in the North also erroneously generalise it as “basically about religion”.

Comment

I think the galling part of these atrocities is the thought that right now some kid is alive and kicking and tomorrow his body will be butchered by a fk off rocket in his bedroom window .
                                                                                                          . basically over religion.
                                                                                                          1000s of children die around the world daily malnutrition accidents diseases malaria nearly all preventable do you lament for these?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah. I’m definitely content with plug and play.
                                                                                                            have enough of a pain in my ass with the TV dropping the networks once a week.

Was kinda hoping you’d have a full blown Wallace and Grommit morning routine going.
                                                                                                            I'm battling my inner chicken to install Hive myself on the heating.
                                                                                                            Bord Gais won't do it and I've been quoted €300 for an install from a sparks.

Once I have that, Wifi toast is the next step
                                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

1000s of children die around the world daily malnutrition accidents diseases malaria nearly all preventable do you lament for these?
                                                                                                              ever since solks got that vaccine he's a changed man.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

They can’t stop all the rockets. Do you think Hamas have morals courage and would not fire from a crowded area. They know there will be a huge and destructive backlash but fire them anyway. I do t think the average Israeli cares how many Palestinians die in the fighting- massacre. And all sleepy Joe Biden will say is they have the right to defend themselves.
                                                                                                                  The bolded bit always annoys me like there is rolling green fields and dense forest for these lads to skulk around in.
                                                                                                                  Not only is it one of the most densely populated places on earth, any place that isn't is monitored by fleets of drones.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The bolded bit always annoys me like there is rolling green fields and dense forest for these lads to skulk around in.
                                                                                                                    Not only is it one of the most densely populated places on earth, any place that isn't is monitored by fleets of drones.
                                                                                                                    So maybe Hamas should think about putting its energies into developing things like schools, hospitals and infrastructure rather than building and launching offensive weapons against the most sophisticated armed forces in the region?

That's not absolving Israel of blame, it just seems like an absolute no-brainer.
                                                                                                                    "Hmm, maybe if we don't fire rockets at them....then they won't fire back at us."

Comment

Someone I know was involved in organizing a boycott of the Eurovision in Israel. I haven't had a chance to ask them yet why previous hosts were kosher

Comment

So maybe Hamas should think about putting its energies into developing things like schools, hospitals and infrastructure rather than building and launching offensive weapons against the most sophisticated armed forces in the region?

That's not absolving Israel of blame, it just seems like an absolute no-brainer.
                                                                                                                        "Hmm, maybe if we don't fire rockets at them....then they won't fire back at us."
                                                                                                                        Ah so we've come full circle around to the idea that its everyones fault except Israel - who always get sentences like 'that's not absolving Israel of blame' - but never actually seem to get any blame.

All the practical advice seems to be about how those 58 now-dead Palestinian kids could not making themselves such attractive bombing targets.

Comment

Anyway, in a few days (likely by the end of this week), Hamas will run out of rockets and\or people to fire them, and will go quiet again. The Israelis will stop their attacks on Gaza and the UN will try to restore services there.

And it will be 'as you were' for a few years.

Until Iran orders the next assault, either from Gaza or more worryingly from its other, much more heavily armed, Hezbollah proxy army in Lebanon. Note that they are keeping their powder dry in the current conflagration.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X