Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Audiobook recs that offer an impartial history of the Israeli / Palestine conflict?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I've clearly got the balls of a very small boy. Undescended. Woke up this morning and it had risen another 80% - fuck it, sold. Well I kept 300 of the coins to avoid fomo. These shitcoins are a wild wild ride.
      Another 60% rise in the (single) day since selling. Its like ethereum all over again.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
        Any Audiobook recs that offer an impartial history of the Israeli / Palestine conflict?
        I haven't listened to any of these so can't recommend from an audio perspective but can recommend a few. I think the problem is the scale of it (both in terms of time and also the historical sweep) so trying to understand it in the context of 'just' Israel\Palestine won't really give you any insight, you need the full panoramic lens of history all the way back to biblical times and beyond.
        1. Israel by Martin Gilbert is pretty massive but will give you that historical sweep up to the mid-90s, by which stage modern Israel is well established.
        2. Robert Fisk is kinda one of our own and has been reporting on the Middle East for decades. The Great War for Civilisation will give you the broad picture, one that the author is passionately angry about.
        3. Jerusalem by Simon Sebag Montefiore is a great account of the city at the heart of it all
        4. From Beirut to Jerusalem is a great read by a man who has seen it all
        5. Recently read Colum McCann's Apeirigon, which hovers somewhere between novel and history. It offers inisght and pathos that you wouldn't get from standard history books and I think is fairly neutral on the politics. I see I only gave it three stars but should really have been 4-ish.

What I would like to read is something that covers the more recent history i.e. since the Oslo accords in 1993, the second Initifada, then covering the failure of the Camp David talks, the rise of Hamas, the rise of the right wing in Israel, the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, the rise of fundamentalism, land grabbing in the WB, the approach of the Palestinian Arab 'allies'. So if you find something like that, let us know.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Another 60% rise in the (single) day since selling. Its like ethereum all over again.
          it's can't be FOMO, we need a new acronym for this sensation when you've sold out of something but are regretting it bitterly despite having banked a tidy profit

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

it's can't be FOMO, we need a new acronym for this sensation when you've sold out of something but are regretting it bitterly despite having banked a tidy profit
            G.R.E.E.D.

Comment

Soaring Monarch ew 2.30 Roscommon

Comment

Lads let me know when the crypto bubble is popping it looks bloated and lumpy rn thanks in advance
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Anyone else spend a long time here looking for the pun?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    I have a pension I started years ago with Bank of Ireland. I have no idea what the fees are or even what they invest in. (YOLO). Is it worth looking into changing the provider?
                    You should be asking what the TER (total expense ratio) is at a minimum, and then look into whether there are trading commissions or mgmt fees or bidffer spreads on exit to see how they are getting paid. If they have full discretion and get paid trading commissions that’s a very dangerous mix. If you have <100k then you should have it mostly in index based funds which are the cheapest to track, as the cost of paying an advisor to manage that wouldn’t be worth your while.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      The real story behind tulip mania is actually far more interesting than the common myth. There's a great section on it in this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Bought it and will report back, thanks

Comment

Looking for recommendations for a secondary email app for Android. I use Gmail for my primary email and Outlook is for my Hotmail account but what to setup a standalone app for my business email. Cheers in advance.
                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Soaring Monarch ew 2.30 Roscommon
                          Won handy, WP (although if it had been US racing he'd have been chucked out for the huge bump he gave when pulling out )

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                            Looking for recommendations for a secondary email app for Android. I use Gmail for my primary email and Outlook is for my Hotmail account but what to setup a standalone app for my business email. Cheers in advance.
                            is it a gmail account?
                            very quick to switch accounts using gmail and you get notifications of both
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Anyone else spend a long time here looking for the pun?
                              I need to be educated on the topic.

Comment

I need to be educated on the topic.
                                shouldn't you just get your opinions off Twitter like everyone else?

Comment

FOMM - fear of missing moon

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You should be asking what the TER (total expense ratio) is at a minimum, and then look into whether there are trading commissions or mgmt fees or bidffer spreads on exit to see how they are getting paid. If they have full discretion and get paid trading commissions that’s a very dangerous mix. If you have <100k then you should have it mostly in index-based funds which are the cheapest to track, as the cost of paying an advisor to manage that wouldn’t be worth your while.
                                    Thanks, that's very useful. I suspected I was getting a bad deal.

If it wasn't for the tax relief I would just lump an equivalent amount into index funds myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

is it a gmail account?
                                      I use Gmail for my work and personal accounts. You can customise the sync and notifications on a per-account basis. This really sold it for me. The outlook app was just a pain in the hole tbh. Work is on manual sync so I don't get bombarded.

Comment

Sitting in the observation room at COViD vaccination centre surrounded by people my exact age.

The freaking state of 'em!!!
                                        ​​​They're ancient.

Sad reality is that other people
                                        must see me in the same light.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I use Gmail for my work and personal accounts. You can customise the sync and notifications on a per-account basis. This really sold it for me. The outlook app was just a pain in the hole tbh. Work is on manual sync so I don't get bombarded.
                                          This must be possible, I just haven't had time to look into it, but can you customise notifs in Gmail so you only get them during business hours?
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                            Sitting in the observation room at COViD vaccination centre surrounded by people my exact age.

​​​They're ancient.

invite them all to the after-jab party in your gaff

Comment

hmm, got my account restricted on Coral (where I hadn't bet for a long time) for the crime of having 20 quid on a 4/1 winner

I did like their response@
                                              The reduction in your stake factor is due to a well-meaning attempt to monitor our liabilities for online transactions. This provides a fair opportunity for all customers who bet on the Internet. You are a valued customer and can assure you we do wish to attract, customers to our service whether they win or lose. We do though have a responsibility to run the business profitably and therefore we do restrict certain customers and certain bets. These restrictions also affect our promotional offers and regrettably, we are unable to override any decision made.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I use outlook app for work (1) and personal (4). Looking at it now. It has configurable notification per account. You can also change sync settings per account???

Better app than Gmail IMHO.
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Oh yeah

Had mad craic on this yoke in Cancun a few years ago, was a bastard to get the hang of holding arms in right position and tilting body to change direction. If hands went up too much it changed the direction of the jets backwards and forced a backflip.
                                                  After half an hour I was getting rightly into it, they had Comms in the helmets so convinced them to take off the power/jet height limiters and let me roam free. Of course gave it some welly, shot about 5m into the air, promptly forgot about keeping hands level and somersaulted backwards into the lagoon. Planted myself like a fence post into the sludge at bottom of lagoon, head was about a foot buried into the crap up to my shoulders so could hardly move with the whole apparatus holding me down too, the amount of "Oh Fuck!!!" coming over the Comms was a lovely soundtrack to what could have been an ignominious end.
                                                  2 Of them came over and unceremoniously yanked me out by the legs and back onto the platform, I was wetting myself laughing and the color returned to their faces when they saw I wasn't traumatized or likely to go lawyer up.

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I'm doing that before I die.

Comment

the two things may not be mutually exclusive

Comment

the two things may not be mutually exclusive
                                                        Fair point.

May wait until my 80s.

Comment

Seems to be only £2k+vat to take a spin on the proper ones that you originally linked to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-C7m0D3PuI&t=3308s
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post

Had mad craic on this yoke in Cancun a few years ago, was a bastard to get the hang of holding arms in right position and tilting body to change direction. If hands went up too much it changed the direction of the jets backwards and forced a backflip.
                                                            After half an hour I was getting rightly into it, they had Comms in the helmets so convinced them to take off the power/jet height limiters and let me roam free. Of course gave it some welly, shot about 5m into the air, promptly forgot about keeping hands level and somersaulted backwards into the lagoon. Planted myself like a fence post into the sludge at bottom of lagoon, head was about a foot buried into the crap up to my shoulders so could hardly move with the whole apparatus holding me down too, the amount of "Oh Fuck!!!" coming over the Comms was a lovely soundtrack to what could have been an ignominious end.
                                                            2 Of them came over and unceremoniously yanked me out by the legs and back onto the platform, I was wetting myself laughing and the color returned to their faces when they saw I wasn't traumatized or likely to go lawyer up.

Speaking of Mexico, was listening to a security expert on all things Mexico and he was saying is has gotten so bad with the cartels that he thinks they will see US boots on the ground in the next 3-4 years, flooding the US with drugs.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

We seem to be closing the vaccine gap on the US rather rapidly.

We're now at 35% of the adult population with at least one dose and they're at 46%.

Given that (I think based on very unscientific research) our vaccine hesitancy is a lot less than theirs, I suspect we'll surpass their % sometime in June.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Speaking of Mexico, was listening to a security expert on all things Mexico and he was saying is has gotten so bad with the cartels that he thinks they will see US boots on the ground in the next 3-4 years, flooding the US with drugs.
                                                                surely the Trump Wall has put paid to all that malarkey

Comment

invite them all to the after-jab party in your gaff
                                                                  Yeah right .....
                                                                  Let's party like it's nineteen ninety nine.
                                                                  We were in our 30's back then. :-(

Comment

Yeah right .....
                                                                    Let's party like it's nineteen ninety nine.
                                                                    We were in our 30's back then. :-(
                                                                    sure Micknail wasn't even born then

Comment

Come to think of it,
                                                                      we were freaking out about viruses back then too.

The millennium bug was going to freak out computers when the new century kicked in and planes would drop out of the sky etc.

Comment

​​​They're ancient.

5 people asked me was I looking for me mudder ?

I deffo saw some 40s somethings there but then again. My old eyes might be acting up . Was like the thriller video

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I deffo saw some 40s somethings there but then again. My old eyes might be acting up . Was like the thriller video
                                                                          There was a lot of Gardai there when I was getting mine. No appointments, 'we were just told down the station, that there were spare shots going'.

Comment

Think everyone needs to be reminded of Orson Welles doing a wine commercial every now and then

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                              Lads let me know when the crypto bubble is popping it looks bloated and lumpy rn thanks in advance
                                                                              I've been saying that since Christmas

Comment

Anyone watch the eco adventure challenge on Amazon.
                                                                                great show. Stunning scenery of Fiji.

Comment

Disclaimer : I'm not impartial

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I don't think the violence has gotten any worse - it's been awful in the North for many years and there is no way Biden is going to send troops to fix what is essentially a Mexican problem.

Comment

620% gain in 7 days. omg. https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/seedify-fund/

Comment

this should provide some rich material for your next SBP filler quotes

Comment

this should provide some rich material for your next SBP filler quotes
                                                                                          "solve the housing affordability crisis by giving everyone seedify shares, Joe"

Comment

Orphan Black is fantastic tv.
                                                                                            Tatiana Maslany is fucking amazing in it
                                                                                            I think I gave up around season 4 was just getting all kinds of strange. Remember season 1 being outstanding viewing.

Comment

This must be possible, I just haven't had time to look into it, but can you customise notifs in Gmail so you only get them during business hours?
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

I think I gave up around season 4 was just getting all kinds of strange. Remember season 1 being outstanding viewing.
                                                                                                I love it. Finished S4 . What a lead actress. Marie Doyle Kennedy is quite good in it too. My fav commitment.

Comment

is it a gmail account?
                                                                                                  It is gmail and I did have it setup that way for awhile but felt a dedicated app might be the better way to go as it would just be for that one account and no need to remember to switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I use outlook app for work (1) and personal (4). Looking at it now. It has configurable notification per account. You can also change sync settings per account???

Ah this changes things for me. I binned the Outlook app over a year ago as I had various complaints from Android users at work around attachments, sync and some other general issues. I'll give it a test now and see if the latest version has improved.

Comment

just as an fyi - this is either a practical joke or a symptom of a deranged mind. outlook is not the answer to anything. email searching and retrieval is so unbelievably bad in outlook, that I can only assume microsoft has accidentally deleted all old emails but doesn't want to admit it.

Comment

Ralph Emerson worth small e/w i'm told 7:00 Dundalk.

Comment

Fucking kids; took them about 30 minutes to work our how to overwrite Screentime. Hopefully they can put that ingenuity to profitable use in the future.

Comment

just as an fyi - this is either a practical joke or a symptom of a deranged mind. outlook is not the answer to anything. email searching and retrieval is so unbelievably bad in outlook, that I can only assume microsoft has accidentally deleted all old emails but doesn't want to admit it.
                                                                                                            Are you talking about the Outlook Android application? If you are you are talking rot. Microsoft are battling with Google across multiple platforms, from Cloud Computing to Office Applications. Microsoft have made serious progress in UX in the last couple of years and are slaughtering Google IMHO. Can't comment on Apple because I wouldn't be caught dead using an Apple device or platform.

Comment

Internal server error trying to correct types above

Comment

............typos

Comment

Are you talking about the Outlook Android application. If you are you are talking rot. Microsoft are battle with Google across multiple platforms, from Cloud Computing to Office Applications. Microsoft have made serious progress in UX in the last couple or years and are slaughtering Google IMHO. Can't comment on Apple because I wouldn't be caught dead using an Apple device or platform.

hqdefault.jpg

The things we most use our emails for:

1. Sending and receiving emails
                                                                                                                  2. Finding information

Both apps do number one about the same. Outlook is a horror show at doing 2, while gmail is decently respectable. Microsoft just can't do search. Also Azure is a shitshow. Windows - meh, we just use it for opening browsers. Bing - wha? Its lipstick on a pig in the case of Microsoft, bright pink hooker lipstick that doesn't quite make up for the syphilitic poxmarks on its broader appearance.

Comment

Great stuff man, that's pretty cool. No more work shit getting into my brain at nights and weekends.

Comment

Slightly confused as to what happened to Cohorts 6 and 8

Comment

The things we most use our emails for:

1. Sending and receiving emails
                                                                                                                        2. Finding information

Both apps do number one about the same. Outlook is a horror show at doing 2, while gmail is decently respectable. Microsoft just can't do search. Also Azure is a shitshow. Windows - meh, we just use it for opening browsers. Bing - wha? Its lipstick on a pig in the case of Microsoft, bright pink hooker lipstick that doesn't quite make up for the syphilitic poxmarks on its broader appearance.
                                                                                                                        Work switched to outlook in the cloud a few months ago and the game changed then, it went from being a piece of shite incapable of matching exact search terms that were in local archives to being just as good as gmail. Integration with teams and calendar means it's now a useful tool.
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Slightly confused as to what happened to Cohorts 6 and 8
                                                                                                                          Cohort 6 was 1000 people who were vaccinating, but not vaccinated as a healthcare provider. They probably realised they don't exist. I think cohort 8 was people aged 16-59 in residential care homes and they probably just folded that into Cohort 7?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X