This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    Just dipped my toe into the 2020 En-Primeur season with a couple dozen bottles. Only a few releases so far so expect there will be several more purchases over the next few weeks,

It does feel somewhat odd to be purchasing again when delivery of last years purchases are still 10 months out.
    would you not consider a grownup habit like buying image-based blockchain tokens?
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

How do people have the free time to book haircuts and the like? I was thinking about where a half-day to the barber, then wait at the barbers, then be interrupted by the barber running off to answer the phone every few seconds because the fuckwits don't have online booking, and then come back from the barbers, would come from and its hard see the available timeslot. So just shaved the head again like a pro. Maybe that's the real lesson of corona - shave away, ditch the barber, and save the equivalent of a weeks holidays a year in free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        How do people have the free time to book haircuts and the like? I was thinking about where a half-day to the barber, then wait at the barbers, then be interrupted by the barber running off to answer the phone every few seconds because the fuckwits don't have online booking, and then come back from the barbers, would come from and its hard see the available timeslot. So just shaved the head again like a pro. Maybe that's the real lesson of corona - shave away, ditch the barber, and save the equivalent of a weeks holidays a year in free time.
        Been shaving my head for 17 years or so. Make pattern baldness and crappy looking hair only job was to shave it all off.
        Used to get the barber to do it but it got to the stage where I was going practically every week (putting his kids through college) Hed be done in a few minutes even with trying to drag it out. Knew my time was up when he offered to trim the eyebrows.

Comment

The place I go way more efficient then it used to be anyway. Pre C19, on a busy day you could be waiting more than 45 mins to be seen, and that would be with 4 barbers on duty. Half hour appointments now. In and out, absolutely no waiting & open till 8pm on a Thursday & Friday too.

Young lad/girl who's serving their time sweeping hair and cleaning up, answers phones and tells the few that walk in they have to make an appointment or makes it for them on a tablet they have. Would hate if it went back to the old way.
          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I've been booking appointments for a haircut for the last 18 years.

It taking a pandemic for blokes and barbers to cop on to the efficiency of it is stunning.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I was a little annoyed with myself when my 0.5 ETH was worth about $300 and I realized I had lost the key to my online wallet. I'm a bit more pissed off now that it's hit $2,000. Ugh. For the life of me I can't remember where the soft key could be stored (if not deleted, which is what I fear after checking all likely places). I also have a different ETH wallet on my phone, which needs a 20 word key phrase, but don't remember actually setting this up and definitely don't know where the key phrase could be stored.

There must be untold millions/billions in inaccessible crypto value out there, as a result of lost keys and lost hardware wallets, etc... The whole thing also seems to a crazy bubble of massive proportions, but when has that mattered?

Comment

I'm becoming quite attached to my covid-long hair, mainly because it's the longer brown stuff on top is covering up the grayer stuff on the sides.

Have got a cut scheduled for next week but think it'll just be a tidy-up job rather than a full-on shearing.

Which leads me to my Joke of The Day.
                (You need to say the lines in an Australian accent)

Guy is walking down a road in the Australian Outback. Hot and dusty. Meets a farmer at a crossroads who is carrying two sheep, one over each shoulder.
                "G'day mate"
                "G'Day"
                "Nice sheep"
                "Thanks mate"

"Are ya shearin'?"

"Naw mate, I'm gonna fuck 'em both meself"
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                  The whole thing also seems to a crazy bubble of massive proportions, but when has that mattered?
                  I've never dabbled in it in any way as I've always seen cryptocurrency as essentially meaningless as both a store of wealth and a trade mechanism - unless it has been approved by regulators, which it hasn't. The Fed or the ECB could literally shut it down any minute.

It has all the signs of a classic speculative mania. But as we know these things can go on for years longer than any rational analysis says they should....

Comment

My very exciting today news is that a coin I bought over the last two weeks decided to pretty much DOUBLE today. https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/seedify-fund/ I fail to see how that's not investing. Where's my investing oscar.
                    I've clearly got the balls of a very small boy. Undescended. Woke up this morning and it had risen another 80% - fuck it, sold. Well I kept 300 of the coins to avoid fomo. These shitcoins are a wild wild ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I've never dabbled in it in any way as I've always seen cryptocurrency as essentially meaningless as both a store of wealth and a trade mechanism - unless it has been approved by regulators, which it hasn't. The Fed or the ECB could literally shut it down any minute.

It has all the signs of a classic speculative mania. But as we know these things can go on for years longer than any rational analysis says they should....
                      I think it is both crazy mania and a fundamentally great idea.

Its the secret behind all good manias, that they all have a fundamentally good idea at their core. Thats what makes them so attractive. E.g. the original South Sea Bubble was a bubble over the invention of stocks themselves, 1929 was Goldman Sachs had invented the leveraged mutual fund, 1987 was program trading, 2008 was mortgage backed securities, 2021 or 2022 or whatever will be crypto. The thing about bubbles though is there is so much profit potential inside a bubble until the very last moment. You always want to be inside the bubble looking out for warning signs rather than outside staring in.

Comment

I think it is both crazy mania and a fundamentally great idea.

Its the secret behind all good manias, that they all have a fundamentally good idea at their core. Thats what makes them so attractive. E.g. the original South Sea Bubble was a bubble over the invention of stocks themselves, 1929 was Goldman Sachs had invented the leveraged mutual fund, 1987 was program trading, 2008 was mortgage backed securities, 2021 or 2022 or whatever will be crypto. The thing about bubbles though is there is so much profit potential inside a bubble until the very last moment. You always want to be inside the bubble looking out for warning signs rather than outside staring in.
                        you also don't want to be the last passenger aboard!

And...tulips, swamp land in Florida, Japanese real estate\stock...I wouldn't say that "they all have a fundamentally good idea at their core".

and there can sometimes be a fine or non-existent line between 'bubble and 'scam'

Comment

you also don't want to be the last passenger aboard!

And...tulips, swamp land in Florida, Japanese real estate\stock...I wouldn't say that "they all have a fundamentally good idea at their core".

and there can sometimes be a fine or non-existent line between 'bubble and 'scam'
                          Japanese real estate had the fundamentally good idea that Japan was growing seemingly without stop since WW2. They got carried away, clearly, but there was a fundamentally good idea there.

Swamp land in Florida, if that was a thing, is presumably a play on a lot of people moving to Florida and a play on those underlying economics.

Tulipomania probably didn't exist. Don't know if you can access that article, but its a very convincing dissection of the tulipomania.

I'm not for a second suggesting markets aren't stupid. Just that bubbles, or at least the most destructive bubbles, tend to normally have a good idea at their core - and that's what gets on board the people who normally stand by the side and makes them so catastrophic.

Forgot the dotcom bubble in the last post.

Comment

Japanese real estate had the fundamentally good idea that Japan was growing seemingly without stop since WW2. They got carried away, clearly, but there was a fundamentally good idea there.
                            Sounds a bit like the Irish mindset in 2006 where people convinced themselves it could never end.
                            So there might be a good idea underneath the hood somewhere but it gets blown to the moon by the euphoria of the bubble mindset.

Swamp land in Florida, if that was a thing, is presumably a play on a lot of people moving to Florida and a play on those underlying economics.
                            The 1920s Florida land bubble (predating mass migration to Florida by a few decades). A classic case of bad timing!

Comment

Sounds a bit like the Irish mindset in 2006 where people convinced themselves it could never end.
                              So there might be a good idea underneath the hood somewhere but it gets blown to the moon by the euphoria of the bubble mindset.
                              I mean, just to be clear, it wasn't a bad idea to buy houses in 2006. You've now had 15 years of enjoying your home rather than renting, and by last year even struck a small profit. There were definitely better times to buy a house, but even the worst time to buy a house in Irish history, wasn't all that bad.

BUY! BUY! BUY! TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!

Comment

The Fed or the ECB could literally shut it down any minute.
                                On 27 April 2021, the EIB launched a digital bond issuance on a blockchain platform, deploying this distributed ledger technology for the registration and settlement of digital bonds, in collaboration with Goldman Sachs, Santander and Societe Generale.

Comment

The real story behind tulip mania is actually far more interesting than the common myth. There's a great section on it in this:

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

On 27 April 2021, the EIB launched a digital bond issuance on a blockchain platform, deploying this distributed ledger technology for the registration and settlement of digital bonds, in collaboration with Goldman Sachs, Santander and Societe Generale.
                                    what's the issue currency of that bond?

Comment

The real story behind tulip mania is actually far more interesting than the common myth. There's a great section on it in this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                      I'm not going to read a book by the guy who stole macspower's hat

51-iPWJ4Z9L._SY200_.jpg

Comment

what's the issue currency of that bond?
                                        What's the average remittance fee in %?

Comment

Vague memory of a poster (gilesby on motley fool I think, but that forum is now wiped) saying that on average you can expect five huge completely mad bubble markets in your lifetime, and should be disappointed not to take at least one of those opportunities.

Comment

How many have we had this year? Stocks, Real Estate, Crypto? What am I leaving out?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Vague memory of a poster (gilesby on motley fool I think, but that forum is now wiped) saying that on average you can expect five huge completely mad bubble markets in your lifetime, and should be disappointed not to take at least one of those opportunities.
                                              Someone in the US did a study of hedge funds and the dotcom bubble and found that the hedge funds were invested until literally the month before it all collapsed. So they got the whole upward swing and ditched the collapse. Now thats easier said than done, but they made far more money being part of the bubble compared to swerving it.

Comment

What's the average remittance fee in %?
                                                what's the issue currency?

BTC? ETH?

or....EUR?

Comment

what's the issue currency?

BTC? ETH?

or....EUR?
                                                  The question doesn't get any smarter the second time you post it.

Comment

The question doesn't get any smarter the second time you post it.
                                                    It's not intended to be 'smart'. It's intended to establish a simple fact.

Comment

Someone in the US did a study of hedge funds and the dotcom bubble and found that the hedge funds were invested until literally the month before it all collapsed. So they got the whole upward swing and ditched the collapse. Now thats easier said than done, but they made far more money being part of the bubble compared to swerving it.
                                                      Well, some of them did. Some of them went bust!

Comment

We're going to need to restructure the HHE to eliminate deadwood if some people miss out on the free dosh lying on the table because they once read a stockmarket history book.

Comment

HJ in, Raoul out obv.

Ole is just one drunken bet away from elite status.

Laz makes a surprise entry after the runaway success of his automated blinds NFT gifs.

Comment

We're going to need to restructure the HHE to eliminate deadwood if some people miss out on the free dosh lying on the table because they once read a stockmarket history book.
                                                            I was just thinking this morning that people with a decent bit of wealth to manage probably wouldn't have an interest in the risks of this stuff, but due to the reality of the magnitude of upside swings with some of it then it suits people with less to lose. Which is to say I imagine it attracts more people who won't generate much wealth based on their current holdings so spinning it up is the only way for them and worth the downside risk.

edit: come to think of it I think I have just described penny stocks
                                                            Last edited by hotspur; 10-05-21, 14:34.

Comment

HJ in, Raoul out obv.

Ole is just one drunken bet away from elite status.

Laz makes a surprise entry after the runaway success of his automated blinds NFT gifs.
                                                              you don't think I could be playing you all and I am just about to launch my own crypto-NFT-onlyfans combo tri-play?

shocking omission of Tara L Darion from your list too imo

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I was just thinking this morning that people with a decent bit of wealth to manage probably wouldn't have an interest in the risks of this stuff, but due to the reality of the magnitude of upside swings with some of it then it suits people with less to lose. Which is to say I imagine it attracts more people who won't generate much wealth based on their current holdings so spinning it up is the only way for them and worth the downside risk.

you just described the people on that sub-reddit that caused half of Wall St to spit up their caviar over the Gamestop shenanigans

Comment

Due to my continued effervescent youth and virility I never thought I would be using one of Pfizer products when I hit my 50s but this is where we are . Tomorrow afternoon I'm inducted into the 5g fried brain army. 1st dose. I made it Maw. I do hope this injection doesnt turn me into Benny Hill. I'm bad enough as it is.

Comment

you don't think I could be playing you all and I am just about to launch my own crypto-NFT-onlyfans combo tri-play?

Will these bitcoins work in vending machines ?

Comment

The missus went missing for 3 hours to get the hair done. I enjoyed the peace so much I forgot to compliment her when she arrived home. Now trying to figure out a compliment that has some kind of depth to it. Might be all immaterial though after my Pfizer shot. I'm thinking I might go Austin Powers as opposed to Benny Hill.

Comment

omg. he epitomises everything blockchain. shocking omission indeed.

Comment

The standard advice to very wealthy people is to have crypto as 1 - 3% of your total investment portfolio, so there's very limited downside.

Comment

Bought my new fancy digital weighing scales (why call them bathroom scales!! I put them in the bedroom in protest)

A confident step up followed by a kind of dismissive laugh of the "well that couldn't possibly be right" variety.

5 mins later..

Jacket, keys, wallet, belt, shoes, clothes fitbit watch in a panicked pile beside those thrice bedamned lying scales

214.4 lbs

Had to have a lie down with the shock!

* drank 2 glasses of water in rapid succession...hoping to lose 4 pounds shortly

Comment

I have a pension I started years ago with Bank of Ireland. I have no idea what the fees are or even what they invest in. (YOLO). Is it worth looking into changing the provider?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                Bought my new fancy digital weighing scales (why call them bathroom scales!! I put them in the bedroom in protest)

A confident step up followed by a kind of dismissive laugh of the "well that couldn't possibly be right" variety.

5 mins later..

Jacket, keys, wallet, belt, shoes, clothes fitbit watch in a panicked pile beside those thrice bedamned lying scales

214.4 lbs

Had to have a lie down with the shock!

* drank 2 glasses of water in rapid succession...hoping to lose 4 pounds shortly
                                                                                I'm heavier and I took one foot off the scales

Comment

Hard to disagree with.....

Smartphones: We have become ‘human snails who ignore friends and family’

The phone is now ‘where we live’, according to an international study that includes Ireland
                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The standard advice to very wealthy people is to have crypto as 1 - 3% of your total investment portfolio, so there's very limited downside.
                                                                                    I'd quite like to hear V's take on this standard advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm heavier and I took one foot off the scales
                                                                                      well over that as well

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                        They're handy when your in a Q though.

Cant imagine the amount of rubbish I've read online.
                                                                                        I find my attention span is quite low (depending on the content obviously) so kind of scan a lot of articles.

Still nothing like a good book fo relax the mind.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

How many have we had this year? Stocks, Real Estate, Crypto? What am I leaving out?
                                                                                            Lumber.

Comment

The story about Soros is good. I'll try and dig it up.

Comment

I think there's a ton of HNW individuals that have used it (plus lots of money from nefarious activities). I think we underestimate the appeal in a way as our government isn't as controlling as the states, and our banks function reasonably well. You don't have to be worried about getting arrested for flying with 10k. Can see why this took off with rich poker players.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Lumber.
                                                                                                  oh corn, also?

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1693592&d=1620679784&type=thumb

oh corn, also?
                                                                                                    The orange crop ?
                                                                                                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

oh corn, also?
                                                                                                      My best trade this year was wheat

Comment

Soros tech story

Thread by @anilvohra69, Dotcom, Soros, Druckenmiller (Thread)A recent Twitter discussion I read reminds me of [...]

Comment

Hope you made a lot of dough.

Comment

Hope you made a lot of dough.
                                                                                                            unless he's a gluten for punishment

Comment

Vaccine Day. Lock up your er Sisters .

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

unless he's a gluten for punishment
                                                                                                                You'd be pretty sour though if you missed the boat

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

You'd be pretty sour though if you missed the boat
                                                                                                                  I'd say he made some decent bread, probably in the upper crust of society by now.

Comment

I'd say he made some decent bread, probably in the upper crust of society by now.
                                                                                                                    I wonder did he invest his full roll.

Comment

I didnt wheat long enough , only crumbs left . I kneeded that money . I toast your success anyhow

Comment

These puns are cereal-y bad
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                          These puns are cereal-y bad
                                                                                                                          I don't get it, must just be the way you spelt it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X