Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eamon Ryan on the radio earlier, he really boils my piss. Was being asked about illegal dumping and why cant CCTV be used as a deterrent ? He goes on to blame GDPR and how they are in talks with Data Commish and blah blah blah...Would love to see a journo get FOI requests in to just prove he is outright lying and call him out for the fraud he is, he ran with the same like when he was questioned about passenger locator forms and using airline manifests.

GDPR me hole, th village i live in installed garda ran CCTV poles, nice high up ones covering all 3 entrances and exits of the village...how did they get around this great GDPR concern ? Signs saying you are on CCTV...its not fuckin rocket science.

They took half his portfolio away last week, didnt see much chat about that...no fear they will take half his salary.
    This too shall pass.

Comment

While we are on the subject of housing, how is this new demand side shared-equity housing scheme not going to distort the market?
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        GDPR me hole, th village i live in installed garda ran CCTV poles, nice high up ones covering all 3 entrances and exits of the village...how did they get around this great GDPR concern ? Signs saying you are on CCTV...its not fuckin rocket science.
        Admonishment by Data Protection Commissioner concerns the local authority’s use of surveillance technology to monitor illegal littering and dumping, and for the prevention of crime

Comment

This paragraph.

In its Waterford investigation, the commission found the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and the Waste Management Act 1996 did not provide a lawful basis for the city and county council’s use of cover cameras with a view to detect and deter illegal littering and dumping.
          There appears to be a typo, should this not read covert ? I can "kinda" see the hullabaloo if a camera is hidden, but like i said, if they have cameras installed and a big sign, like every supermarket and shop has, i really cant see the issue with complying with GDPR. Same with Garda cams, if people are seen using a public bin for domestic rubbish this is an offense, whats the issue using the footage ? The data commissioner one needs a boot in the gee i think.
          This too shall pass.

Comment

A couple of years ago put up signs on our lane saying

CCTV in use
            Reg Numbers recorded
            All dumping will be prosecuted

Not only did the guy running the local neighbourhood watch get a call from someone, can't remember if it was the guards or the council warning them that they couldn't do that but there were a few morons on the local facebook group kicking up about their privacy. I was on a solo run so he could honestly say he knew nothing about it and anyway at the time I only had a fake camera that wasn't connected to anything.

Now though I've no signs but I do have a lidl wildlife camera set up at one of their regular spots, unfortunately it was around the corner from where a huge load got dumped last week but it sounds like a load of traceable information was found in that load.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

You really have to find some way of reducing the amount of 'kinda eh's'. Not sure how to go about it though.
              toastmasters are really good for that kind of thing.
              Dunno how it'd work thesedays
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Tech experts; is this the real deal? I'm sold on the pitch anyway (apologies if discussed before).

the us alternative he is talking about is https://brave.com/
                which earns

currently €1

It's extremely hard for the end user to disconnect from the amount of hooks you have into google
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Has anyone read any Carlo Rovelli books? He only came to my attention a few days ago and I feel like I should read something by him.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    A couple of years ago put up signs on our lane saying

CCTV in use
                    Reg Numbers recorded
                    All dumping will be prosecuted

Not only did the guy running the local neighbourhood watch get a call from someone, can't remember if it was the guards or the council warning them that they couldn't do that but there were a few morons on the local facebook group kicking up about their privacy. I was on a solo run so he could honestly say he knew nothing about it and anyway at the time I only had a fake camera that wasn't connected to anything.

Now though I've no signs but I do have a lidl wildlife camera set up at one of their regular spots, unfortunately it was around the corner from where a huge load got dumped last week but it sounds like a load of traceable information was found in that load.
                    surely putting up signs (but no cameras) is the optimal play here to discourage dumping\dogging?
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Leave no condoms and only take pictures...Dogging Ireland.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

This paragraph.

There appears to be a typo, should this not read covert ? I can "kinda" see the hullabaloo if a camera is hidden, but like i said, if they have cameras installed and a big sign, like every supermarket and shop has, i really cant see the issue with complying with GDPR. Same with Garda cams, if people are seen using a public bin for domestic rubbish this is an offense, whats the issue using the footage ? The data commissioner one needs a boot in the gee i think.
                        GDPR seems to be a get out jail free card for anyone who wats to avoid doing anything (so I learned during Lockdown 1 when our teachers gave it as an excuse why they couldn't do online classes )

Comment

actually just had my very first neighbour run in.
                          We stumped a few rotten trees and have a skip containing that, and some cardboard boxes etc.
                          Just happened to be looking out the window and saw a biddy dump her dog shit in the skip.
                          Opened the door and she was giving it the big, "I checked I can do it"
                          I asked if she checked with the owners, ie me, and she took it bag out sharpish and scurried off saying it's legal.
                          I'm about 99% sure that animal waste isn't allowed in skips so fuck her.

Mrs is aghast that our first interaction with neighbours is me barefoot and in shorts giving out to an oul wan

Comment

Comment

Jab done. 4 weeks to complete Superpowers.

Comment

Old cunce
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                  Old cunce
                                  True . Even DeapParrot turned down a free welcome to the neighbourhood 'bag o shit' .

Comment

I sent that on to a lookalike to much amusement.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      actually just had my very first neighbour run in.
                                      We stumped a few rotten trees and have a skip containing that, and some cardboard boxes etc.
                                      Just happened to be looking out the window and saw a biddy dump her dog shit in the skip.
                                      Opened the door and she was giving it the big, "I checked I can do it"
                                      I asked if she checked with the owners, ie me, and she took it bag out sharpish and scurried off saying it's legal.
                                      I'm about 99% sure that animal waste isn't allowed in skips so fuck her.

Mrs is aghast that our first interaction with neighbours is me barefoot and in shorts giving out to an oul wan
                                      she'll be talking to all the other neighbours complaining about your lack of shit accepting. Soon none of the neighbours will be giving you shit.

Don't have a dog, but the fairly obvious flaw with bagging dog shit is that there's hardly any bins around to put the bags in. I realise the bigger takeaway is 'don't buy a dog, if you won't bag his shit', but I do see why loads of it is hanging around. Why is there no bins in the country? Like how did that happen. And every bin is locked down so you can barely get anything in it.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

A friend of a friend passed away Saturday morning, and funeral was on Monday. Seems so incredibly quick. There has to be a middle ground between the two weeks the Brits take, and the Irish approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Why is there no bins in the country? Like how did that happen. And every bin is locked down so you can barely get anything in it.
                                          Think it was mostly after domestic waste charges came in, that there were enough refuseniks who filled up public bins with their domestic waste. I used to see more of it when I was in the city centre daily, though have seen it out in Nutgrove too. Usually the same kind of eccentric aul fellas who used to check phone boxes for change in the returned coin slot.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                            A friend of a friend passed away Saturday morning, and funeral was on Monday. Seems so incredibly quick. There has to be a middle ground between the two weeks the Brits take, and the Irish approach.
                                            Some cultures put 'em in the ground the same day.

Comment

This isn't a bad old game between Dirty Russian Blood Money Buying Their Way To Political Asylum FC vs Former Plaything Of The Fascist Junta But Now Leading The Race To Fuck All Football Up The Ass FC.

Comment

That is fairly standard though.
                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

she'll be talking to all the other neighbours complaining about your lack of shit accepting. Soon none of the neighbours will be giving you shit.

Don't have a dog, but the fairly obvious flaw with bagging dog shit is that there's hardly any bins around to put the bags in. I realise the bigger takeaway is 'don't buy a dog, if you won't bag his shit', but I do see why loads of it is hanging around. Why is there no bins in the country? Like how did that happen. And every bin is locked down so you can barely get anything in it.
                                                  Gap in the market for shit-eating dogs?

Comment

Is that not a good thing? Funerals are not nice things. The sooner they are over the better.

Comment

They have slowed it down a bit in most communities now but the rules for the orthodox Jews is that the body should be buried before the next sunset after death.
                                                      Causes a lot of hospitals in places like London where hospitals typically don't release bodies for a few days.

Comment

I wonder will the traditional Irish funeral make a comeback after covid restrictions are removed?

I've got a feeling that for many, certainly speaking for myself, in many ways it is going to be harder to revert to anything like the old normal than it was to adjust to lockdown.

Comment

Some cultures put 'em in the ground the same day.
                                                          I'd imagine if the below happened here it'd be a grotesque two week wake / session:

Zoroastrians believe that as soon as the breath has left it, the body becomes impure. Death is considered to be the work of Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of all that is evil, whereas the earth and all that is beautiful is considered to be the pure work of God. Contaminating the elements (Earth, Air, Fire and Water) with decaying matter such as a corpse is considered sacrilege.
                                                          Instead of burying the corpse, Zoroastrians traditionally laid it out on a purpose built tower (dokhma or 'Tower of Silence') to be exposed to the sun and eaten by birds of prey such as vultures.
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Speaking of funerals all the makeshift funeral pyres in India must be undoing whatever reduction in the worlds carbon output came about from covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I'd imagine if the below happened here it'd be a grotesque two week wake / session:

Zoroastrians believe that as soon as the breath has left it, the body becomes impure. Death is considered to be the work of Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of all that is evil, whereas the earth and all that is beautiful is considered to be the pure work of God. Contaminating the elements (Earth, Air, Fire and Water) with decaying matter such as a corpse is considered sacrilege.
                                                              Instead of burying the corpse, Zoroastrians traditionally laid it out on a purpose built tower (dokhma or 'Tower of Silence') to be exposed to the sun and eaten by birds of prey such as vultures.
                                                              Tibetan Buddhists do that too - a 'sky burial'.

Comment

I wonder will the traditional Irish funeral make a comeback after covid restrictions are removed?

I've got a feeling that for many, certainly speaking for myself, in many ways it is going to be harder to revert to anything like the old normal than it was to adjust to lockdown.
                                                                Culture is the hardest thing to change. We'll be back to the old ways (for good and bad) within months.

Comment

They have slowed it down a bit in most communities now but the rules for the orthodox Jews is that the body should be buried before the next sunset after death.
                                                                  Causes a lot of hospitals in places like London where hospitals typically don't release bodies for a few days.
                                                                  Muslims too iirc.

Might be something to do originally with the advisibility of burying bodies rapidly in hot climates?

Comment

have you read any of Swartzwelder's detective books Raoul? Seems like a cross-over made for you.

Comment

What do you do if you die and have no religion - apart from have your parents tell everyone you have a religion and get the parish priest of the parish you haven't been in for sixty years say how 'Paddy loved god'. Like is there a non religious version of a church? I know I could google it, but just wondering what the `usual' approaches are in Ireland, rather than which alternative has SEO'd the top slot.

Comment

It's a Catholic thing IME
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What do you do if you die and have no religion - apart from have your parents tell everyone you have a religion and get the parish priest of the parish you haven't been in for sixty years say how 'Paddy loved god'. Like is there a non religious version of a church? I know I could google it, but just wondering what the `usual' approaches are in Ireland, rather than which alternative has SEO'd the top slot.
                                                                          Cremation, I've been to a ceremony in one before (big place somewhere in Tallaght, near Newlands Cross maybe I think?), don't recall the room being decorated in any particular religious style, while the one I was at was Catholic I'm sure they simply facilitate whatever religion or none desired for any given ceremony.

My dorm roommate while I was at Berkeley an age ago was a cool Dutch dude finishing off his PhD in Biology; he really wanted to go the way of Nepalese/Bhutan sky burial when contemplating how to dispose of his body after death! Will have to give him a shout one of these days, he's a professor in a Portuguese uni now, and see if he still feels that way some 20 odd years later!

Comment

have you read any of Swartzwelder's detective books Raoul? Seems like a cross-over made for you.
                                                                            https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...f-the-simpsons
                                                                            Wonderful to read an interview with the great man. Cheers for linking that.

Comment

Is it a bit sad to be thinking of poker tournaments after this is all over? Kinda at a loss as to what exactly would be a good thing to do. Rejoining the masonic lodge, doing a carpentry course, and playing poker while trying not to wet myself when AA arrive, are the three thoughts right now.

Comment

Is it a bit sad to be thinking of poker tournaments after this is all over? Kinda at a loss as to what exactly would be a good thing to do. Rejoining the masonic lodge, doing a carpentry course, and playing poker while trying not to wet myself when AA arrive, are the three thoughts right now.
                                                                                Personally I’m planning on dropping the kids at their grandparents house and going to stay in a hotel with a nice spa, a top end restaurant and a good old fashioned.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Personally I’m planning on dropping the kids at their grandparents house and going to stay in a hotel with a nice spa, a top end restaurant and a good old fashioned.
                                                                                  well you're in a slightly more pressing life situation given how young everyone is! I'd imagine getting out of the house for literally anything has quite the premium

Comment

There will no doubt be an upsurge in hedonistic behavior when the shackles come off. I think everyone had a vision of pleasure concocted, the quintessential post lockdown moment of bliss, that helped them get through the worst of it. For some it's was a game of golf, for others a pint of the black stuff in the local wet pub....... you get the idea. I'm not sure such simple pleasures sustained everyone.

Comment

I just want to get the 4am nitelink and watch the drunks threaten each other as I drift in and out of consciousness with the foul aftertaste of Guinness and Chicken Shawarma . Just to see if I die.

Comment

What do you do if you die and have no religion - apart from have your parents tell everyone you have a religion and get the parish priest of the parish you haven't been in for sixty years say how 'Paddy loved god'. Like is there a non religious version of a church?
                                                                                        Of all the mad questions you ask, this has to be one of the maddest.
                                                                                        If you're no longer a card carrying member of whatever cult your parents shoved you into, you do whatever the fuck you want. Want to be buried, be buried. What to be cremated, do that. Burial at sea, I'm sure you can pay for it.
                                                                                        I had a teacher who told us that she wanted to be cremated and her ashes pressed into a diamond so her husband could wear it on a ring or a chain after she was gone.
                                                                                        She was only in 20s at the time, and kinda hot in a teacher way. Clearly stalker ex-girlfriend crazy though.

Strangely enough I played my first game of live poker in years last weekend. Was in the games room of a local pub. But surprising good structure for a pub game. 70k starting stack. 20 min blinds. Very soft game obviously.
                                                                                        Usual carnage early on. I dwindle until after the break when the gamblers are losing the ability to play very pot. Get into shove fold and build from below starting to above average on 175k in a few hands. Move tables to last two tables. Bleed a few chips over a course of a few rounds.

6 handed. Pick up QQ in the SB, blinds 7/15k, I've 120k
                                                                                        UTG makes it 30k, folded to me.
                                                                                        I dwell a bit, "ah, I'll have nothing left if I call, I have to go all-in"
                                                                                        He calls with A8, Ace on the flop, Queen on the turn. Thanks for much
                                                                                        The guys laughs at me, "what were you thinking about, QQ is a strong hand". "Oh is it? "

Very next hand, I get QQ again on the button. I briefly think that I messed up my deal and left my cards there. Maybe I did.
                                                                                        Folded to me, I make it 40k (blinds now 10/20k), same guy from the last hand shoves for 200k in the BB.
                                                                                        I snap, he has AK.
                                                                                        Flop A, Turn A.

Would have been on 450k on the payout/Final table bubble had I held. Instead I've 40k. I push the next hand with A9. TJ calls and flops a straight.

Have to win your races, sick game, etc etc.
                                                                                        Enjoyable Sunday evening all the same.

Comment

In other news. This is a bit of a mad story.

Three children have successfully sued their father for damages following injuries they received when his car, in which they were passengers, collided with a tree near Ashbourne, Co Meath.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                            If you're no longer a card carrying member of whatever cult your parents shoved you into, you do whatever the fuck you want. Want to be buried, be buried. What to be cremated, do that. Burial at sea, I'm sure you can pay for it.
                                                                                            I had a teacher who told us that she wanted to be cremated and her ashes pressed into a diamond so her husband could wear it on a ring or a chain after she was gone.
                                                                                            She was only in 20s at the time, and kinda hot in a teacher way. Clearly stalker ex-girlfriend crazy though.

Strangely enough I played my first game of live poker in years last weekend. Was in the games room of a local pub. But surprising good structure for a pub game. 70k starting stack. 20 min blinds. Very soft game obviously.
                                                                                            Usual carnage early on. I dwindle until after the break when the gamblers are losing the ability to play very pot. Get into shove fold and build from below starting to above average on 175k in a few hands. Move tables to last two tables. Bleed a few chips over a course of a few rounds.

6 handed. Pick up QQ in the SB, blinds 7/15k, I've 120k
                                                                                            UTG makes it 30k, folded to me.
                                                                                            I dwell a bit, "ah, I'll have nothing left if I call, I have to go all-in"
                                                                                            He calls with A8, Ace on the flop, Queen on the turn. Thanks for much
                                                                                            The guys laughs at me, "what were you thinking about, QQ is a strong hand". "Oh is it? "

Very next hand, I get QQ again on the button. I briefly think that I messed up my deal and left my cards there. Maybe I did.
                                                                                            Folded to me, I make it 40k (blinds now 10/20k), same guy from the last hand shoves for 200k in the BB.
                                                                                            I snap, he has AK.
                                                                                            Flop A, Turn A.

Would have been on 450k on the payout/Final table bubble had I held. Instead I've 40k. I push the next hand with A9. TJ calls and flops a straight.

Have to win your races, sick game, etc etc.
                                                                                            Enjoyable Sunday evening all the same.

Phone was running low on battery a few nights back. Thinking maybe I should plug it in before I play my button (cash online) Ah no sure it will be over in 10 seconds anyway ..walk all the way into the bedroom to plug it in ..pffft no thanks
                                                                                            Call a raise with 9956 flop ..937 I get check raised after betting 1/4 of my stack...oh yes..all I have to do is press call...phone dies with finger 3mm away from call button

Hamlet cigar music and me ruminating on what an utterly lazy bastard I've become!

Comment

I read AA as alcoholics anonymous and thought that's not how they operate at all.

Comment

Liking the no mention of the wife there.

Unless you fondly refer to her as a 'nice spa'.

Comment

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...f-the-simpsons
                                                                                                  No, but now I think I should, ty.

Comment

Not the worst idea I've ever heard tbf

I wonder how many people have the clarity of mind about their own mortality though to actually write down in unambiguous terms what should happen to their body after they die, and what the 'arrangements' should be. Guessing that very few is the answer which then leaves the decision to the next of kin.

Comment

My age bracket qualifed to register
                                                                                                      for COViD jab on HSE website today.
                                                                                                      Anyone know how far off the
                                                                                                      appointment date will typically be?

Comment

No, but now I think I should, ty.
                                                                                                        I believe this came up in the bbv before where I found the 1st thing I had in common with Hotspur in that we have those little books of his. Enjoyable and a lot of little lols as opposed to crying out loud. Deffo read them all in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                          They said it was approx 2 weeks from registration to jabbage for the over 60s and that this should reduce if anything as the pace of vaccinations picks up.

Comment

Re: what I'm looking forward to most.
                                                                                                            Hair Cut.
                                                                                                            I look like a heavy metal refugee from the 70's!

Comment

In other news. This is a bit of a mad story.

https://www.independent.ie/news/thre...-40391171.html
                                                                                                              I think they have to go down that route to get paid via the Dad's insurance.

Comment

They said it was approx 2 weeks from registration to jabbage for the over 60s and that this should reduce if anything as the pace of vaccinations picks up.
                                                                                                                2 weeks is slated as the average wait time I think, so it's mostly just a "ah sure we'll get you at some point" type timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                  My 62 year old sisters got done on Monday and Wednesday this week. 64 year old brother in law done last Saturday. Just qualifying on age alone. They really seem to be flying through them.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

2 weeks is slated as the average wait time I think, so it's mostly just a "ah sure we'll get you at some point" type timeline.
                                                                                                                    According to my sauces (Mrs D3), the vaccination centres, which is where the majority of jabbage activity is moving into will be much more efficient, given larger scale, than the smaller doctors surgeries etc that the older folks have been getting jabbed in.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

My 62 year old sisters got done on Monday and Wednesday this week. 64 year old brother in law done last Saturday. Just qualifying on age alone. They really seem to be flying through them.
                                                                                                                      Quarter of a million jabs is apparently the target this week and pushing upwards through the remainder of May\June as we get heavier supply.

I am randomly predicting I will be jabbed on the 12th of June.

Comment

Quarter of a million jabs is apparently the target this week and pushing upwards through the remainder of May\June as we get heavier supply.

I am randomly predicting I will be jabbed on the 12th of June.
                                                                                                                        See yiz in coppers .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

See yiz in coppers .
                                                                                                                          Sure you'll be jabbed way before me, surprised you haven't been done already

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X