This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought this lad today, feels like xmas.

Today, visiting Orchard means a great day out. This shopping heaven for homes and gardens! Packed to the rafters with the finest furniture and top quality accessories from all over the world, as well as a truly stunning selection of plants, and not to mention a buzzing cafe. Orchard is a destination lifestyle store, an exciting experience, and an Aladdin’s cave of treasures to make your home and garden as beautiful as they con possibly be!
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Brought it in the door and the three year old grabs me by the hand and says 'C'mon Dada, I want to show you something'

Brings me out to the kitchen and points out the window.

'We already have a barbecue'

Comment

Have you got go no wimmins to do your cooking ?

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Read an article there about teenagers at Howth junction targeting passengers running to catch the train, deliberately bumping in to them as they run. Unbalanced one woman who fell on to the tracks and then they just walk off. Absolute scum.

Had a gang of about 20 on their bikes the other day crossing the road in a big line. About 200 yards away from me I could see them blocking a car not giving a fuck. Dawdling and acting the bollox.
            I gave them the fright of their life. Didnt slow down and the last bunch them didnt have the balls to test me.
            Thoroughly enjoyed the panicked look of one fucker who was facing the wrong way. I went around him in fairness.

Comment

The crowd at the crucibleWow!

Who'd have thought that Hearn's manufactured hype could turn out to create one of the moments of a lifetime!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                Read an article there about teenagers at Howth junction targeting passengers running to catch the train, deliberately bumping in to them as they run. Unbalanced one woman who fell on to the tracks and then they just walk off. Absolute scum.

Had a gang of about 20 on their bikes the other day crossing the road in a big line. About 200 yards away from me I could see them blocking a car not giving a fuck. Dawdling and acting the bollox.
                I gave them the fright of their life. Didnt slow down and the last bunch them didnt have the balls to test me.
                Thoroughly enjoyed the panicked look of one fucker who was facing the wrong way. I went around him in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  The crowd at the crucibleWow!

Who'd have thought that Hearn's manufactured hype could turn out to create one of the moments of a lifetime!
                  I've just turned it on - what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I've just turned it on - what happened?
                    A couple of thousand people all in the one room clapping cheering and shouting. Real shivers down the spine stuff.

Comment

First vaccine shot done. Pretty nice set up in citywest. About 35 minutes total.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

That seems a strange decision for Bill and Melinda, would be really curious to know what's going on there.

Comment

That seems a strange decision for Bill and Melinda, would be really curious to know what's going on there.
                          He was overdue an upgrade in fairness .

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Like can understand kids doing silly stuff for a buzz etc but how possibly killing someone like this is funny? They should be identifiable on cctv ah yer honor he had no facilities where he grew up etc slap on the wrist. There is a huge lack of respect in this country with certain elements the brave guards clearing out churches fair play Lads.

Comment

she’s obviously not prepared to carry on being complicit in his Plandemic plans

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Like can understand kids doing silly stuff for a buzz etc but how possibly killing someone like this is funny? They should be identifiable on cctv ah yer honor he had no facilities where he grew up etc slap on the wrist. There is a huge lack of respect in this country with certain elements the brave guards clearing out churches fair play Lads.
                                How can people have respect for gardai when they are busy fishing for retweets on Twitter or making stupid tik tok dance videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I didn't even think the gap was that wide. That could take you a fair few nightmares to recover from if you took it the wrong way.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hitch have you read Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat?

Summary of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. Such an incredible book on becoming a better chef, with little tricks and methods I use almost every day now. Plus the recipes in the back are delicious!

Comment

It's only a matter of time before teenage scumbags get a wake up call. I can see a headline or two coming up. It wont be the cops anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

https://www.nateliason.com/notes/salt-fat-acid-heat
                                        No - have the book on the shelf, but could never get around to picking it up. I guess its the same idea. I just quite like the idea of a course compared to a book tbh. Quizzes and mini-videos and exercises.

Comment

Tomorrow's exercise is on sweating veg. Letting veg swim in a pan in a sea of oil at a lowish temperature in order to extract out flavours to create the base for something like a soup. Another basic enough idea, but interesting enough as you'd often focus on the bigger later flavours in a dish compared to the beginning ones. Making a tomato sauce which will cost at least twice what a supermarket tomato sauce would cost!

Comment

https://www.nateliason.com/notes/salt-fat-acid-heat
                                            I bought this and The Food Lab a few months back for the missus. She loves them. They're huge books and essentially an encyclopediac reference on cooking fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              It's only a matter of time before teenage scumbags get a wake up call. I can see a headline or two coming up. It wont be the cops anyway.
                                              Sure look the poor kids don't even know what gender they are these days, how can you expect them to know what basic behavioural norms look like?
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Sure look the poor kids don't even know what gender they are these days, how can you expect them to know what basic behavioural norms look like?
                                                They need 10 kinds of genders kicked out of them . Teenagers are pack animals.

Comment

Have to drive into Pearse st next week. Where's my best parking option? (Coming from the south side)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                    Have to drive into Pearse st next week. Where's my best parking option? (Coming from the south side)
                                                    park on the street imo , right hand side has plenty of parking

Comment

Yeah you could drink wine every day for €7 a week if you limited yourself to 100ml a day https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40384633.html

He added: “There is a smaller group for whom the use of cannabis is associated with paranoia and that is often a risk. Stronger strains are associated with it. Some people have become very unwell with extreme paranoia, hallucinations and thought disorder, and they need hospitalisations.

“Every week people are coming in who are paranoid. People show us their arms and they are cutting themselves.”

Cannabis is not expensive and €20 a week would enable a person to use it every day.

The college has produced a series of information leaflets for the public and health professionals.
                                                      TMTYD_1024x1024.png?v=1548880077.png
                                                      Last edited by ComradeCollie; 04-05-21, 09:30.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Well Patrick Reid haters . How do ye feel about this from Selby?

Ronnie O'Sullivan has accused Mark Selby of 'trying to gain a little advantage' but has blamed Shaun Murphy for not doing anything about it, after some controversy in the World...

Comment

IPL suspended (should have happened already, but in a country as cricket-bonkers as India it's probably the most significant sign of just how bad things are there)

Comment

Huge amount of this going on over last 18 months. Handy quick buck for builders but not good for general health of housing market in the long run.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...medium=twitter

Huge amount of this going on over last 18 months. Handy quick buck for builders but not good for general health of housing market in the long run.
                                                              I'll give you a contra opinio:

Landlords in Ireland have typically been small-scale amateurs, leading to a very inefficient market that tended to operate to the disadvantage of renters - poorly maintained stock, lack of contract enforcement mechanisms etc.
                                                              It's better that the new landlords are those who can operate at scale and thus help to provide a more efficient market. It might also mean that private investors might stop seeing property as the ultimate investment vehicle and instead put their capital to better use in sectors that can deliver a real long-term productive benefit.

Comment

Landlords in Ireland have typically been small-scale amateurs, leading to a very inefficient market that tended to operate to the disadvantage of renters - poorly maintained stock, lack of contract enforcement mechanisms etc.
                                                                It's better that the new landlords are those who can operate at scale and thus help to provide a more efficient market. It might also mean that private investors might stop seeing property as the ultimate investment vehicle and instead put their capital to better use in sectors that can deliver a real long-term productive benefit.
                                                                The angle I'm looking at more is the 1st time buyers market, slowly getting squeezed out?

Comment

Fair lump of my commission comes from a deal I did with one of those large investment firms.

Keep em I say.

Comment

The angle I'm looking at more is the 1st time buyers market, slowly getting squeezed out?
                                                                    I'd assumed the property was built for the rental sector. I guess from the developer's point of view, it's the perfect transaction - build 100 gaffs, sell to one buyer all in one go.

Comment

I'd assumed the property was built for the rental sector. I guess from the developer's point of view, it's the perfect transaction - build 100 gaffs, sell to one buyer all in one go.
                                                                      Certainly more likely to see the estate finished this way.

Comment

Its lashing small white balls the size of hail stones today.
                                                                        Might have to take the roads in Ted

Comment

It's the future. The while of Europe rents

Comment

Those LL's are likely better than the small timers all right, but it's not really the issue people have as the amount of private buy-to-lets aren't as much of an issue as international funds. Investment funds that aren't even allowed buy more properties in their own country (as they are driving the prices up too much) are instead coming to Ireland to just buy all the housing stock here. This then ends up with the local populace unable to buy homes as they are competing with a German pension fund with considerably more capital. Some of this can be good, a local development may only go ahead if it is paid for first - there may actually even be homes that people want to rent - but there has to be some sort of limit to how much of this can happen so that locals can afford houses too.

Something also has to be done about our weird laws that now mean that investment funds are letting whole blocks of apartments be vacant instead of lowering the price for rent during the pandemic, since it would be too hard to raise them again.
                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-05-21, 12:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Those LL's are likely better than the small timers all right, but it's not really the issue people have as the amount of private buy-to-lets aren't as much of an issue as international funds. Investment funds that aren't even allowed buy more properties in their own country (as they are driving the prices up too much) are instead coming to Ireland to just buy all the housing stock here. This then ends up with the local populace unable to buy homes as they are competing with a German pension fund with considerably more capital. Some of this can be good, a local development may only go ahead if it is paid for first - there may actually even be homes that people want to rent - but there has to be some sort of limit to how much of this can happen so that locals can afford houses too.

Something also has to be done about our weird laws that now mean that investment funds are letting whole blocks of apartments be vacant instead of lowering the price for rent during the pandemic, since it would be too hard to raise them again.

Do you or someone more informed know the tax liability for a small-time landlord who bought the 2nd house as an investment "for their pension" versus the equivalent for a giant fund?

I'm guessing that the little guy is paying an order of magnitude greater than the fund after corporation tax and financial jiggery-pokery is performed. Maybe there is little to no tax liability for a pension fund?
                                                                              Last edited by coillcam; 04-05-21, 13:12.

Comment

I see that Shinner housing 'expert' that hitch is a fanboi of is out condemning these investment funds buying up housing estates which is exactly what he is calling for in his housing plan for long term rental but he seems to have developed some magic thinking that sees a difference between Investment funds owned by pension managers and what he describes as 'quick buck merchants'
                                                                                Is he a moron or a cynical liar.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Do you or someone more informed know the tax liability for a small-time landlord who bought the 2nd house as an investment "for their pension" versus the equivalent for a giant fund?

I'm guessing that the little guy is paying an order of magnitude greater than the fund after corporation tax and financial jiggery-pokery is performed. Maybe there is little to no tax liability for a pension fund?
                                                                                  In the piece SP is talking about they also mentioned: "They pay no capital gains tax, they pay no tax on their rent roll and while they do have to pay dividend withholding tax to their shareholders, if they're structured in the right way they can even offset that.". Companies in general pay less tax than individuals yes.

Comment

its the biggest fake news going. pension funds don't pay tax as the owners of the pension pay the tax. If you taxed the pension fund and then taxed the person, you'd be double-taxing people.

Comment

We surely don't want to advocate for extra tax on savings and pensions, given its already astronomical.

Comment

Other countries (that I know of) either limit amount of houses anybody can own or limit the amount of a development that can be bought by an investment group (20% in Germany I think? Hence them coming here I guess)

Comment

Other countries (that I know of) either limit amount of houses anybody can own or limit the amount of a development that can be bought by an investment group (20% in Germany I think? Hence them coming here I guess)
                                                                                          Sounds like a decent idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                            We surely don't want to advocate for extra tax on savings and pensions, given its already astronomical.
                                                                                            We want to advocate for taxes on things that don't affect us.

Therefore I am proposing 10 zillion percent tax on watching amateur porn and cooking videos.

Comment

yeah, you probably find that '% of the housing stock owned by investment groups' here is absolutely tiny compared to other countries, thus we are just catching up.

just 'build more, in the right places' and 'maximise the stock we already have' would get us a long way to the right place.

Comment

Any tips / advice on doing a CV for a 16 yr old.
                                                                                                Mia is looking for a part time job and I dunno wtf she can put down on a CV as obv she has zero work experience do I'm presuming all she can focus on is strengths and interests tyoe thing?
                                                                                                She is excellent at maths /business if helps
                                                                                                I can't even remember the layout.
                                                                                                Any help appreciated!
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                  Mia is looking for a part time job and I dunno wtf she can put down on a CV as obv she has zero work experience do I'm presuming all she can focus on is strengths and interests tyoe thing?
                                                                                                  Any help appreciated!
                                                                                                  I'll be at the same myself in two summers time - but is this not a case where you want to be arranging the job for them? Or at the very least, somewhere that some of their friends will be working too? i.e. go through your friend who runs the local Spar, cafe, pub (if such things ever reopen)...whatever

Rather than firing out meaningless 'cvs' as if you're applying for jobs in the paper as a 16 y/o, you won't get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                    I'm not really getting at that and I don't know a huge amount on the topic, trying to tease this out and improve my understanding. I'm leaning on the side of ringfencing a large portion of new developments for first-time buyers, then social housing, and lastly private investment.

I don't agree with double taxation like you've pointed out but I'm not sure that it's as clear-cut as you suggest and I'm open to correction. I'm purely using back of envelope calculations here but bear with me:

If for example, a foreign pension fund buys a property for 300k and then rents that for 2k a month over 12.5 years, it yields the 300k to the fund separate from the actual capital value of the asset. Let's assume there's no recession or crash. Yes, there will be significant administrative and operational costs for the fund but this is surely still a massive money-spinner. Add another 12.5 years and the compound effect of rent adjustments every 5 years which I haven't allowed for. You see where I'm going. It's not unreasonable to assume that 25 years later the fund could have yielded 800k-1m in rent alone. Again separate to the value of the asset. I know there are large risks associated as well the maintenance of the property etc.

Compare this to the regular mug punter like ourselves or peers who are trying to buy a house and being priced out of the market. The government receives a fair share of tax indirectly as a result of us making a house purchase. Obviously, this also has huge indirect benefits to Irish society - banks, cost of living, jobs, etc.

I don't enough about the topic and what I've posted is probably a pretty naive set of assumptions. However, should a private foreign investor be allowed to make such potential huge yields while constricting the supply of housing and exerting significant influence on the cost of renting? All the while maintaining a limited tax liability or contribution to our society?

The loss of tax and societal knock-on effects are quite concerning to me. Could be THE big election issue post-covid and I can see more and more chatter about this every day.

Comment

RIP ALAN MCLOUGHLIN ONLY 54.

Takes me back.

Comment

I'll be at the same myself in two summers time - but is this not a case where you want to be arranging the job for them? Or at the very least, somewhere that some of their friends will be working too? i.e. go through your friend who runs the local Spar, cafe, pub (if such things ever reopen)...whatever

Rather than firing out meaningless 'cvs' as if you're applying for jobs in the paper as a 16 y/o, you won't get them.
                                                                                                        None of her friends have a job really. They are all kinda just getting ready to do the same thing.

Only real places that hire her age are Mr price, Homesavers, them English companies. I have enquired in the shopping centre as I know most but they don't really take them on till they're 17.

She has an idea on what places to leave cvs into alright.
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

The loss of tax and societal knock-on effects are quite concerning to me. Could be THE big election issue post-covid and I can see more and more chatter about this every day.
                                                                                                          Absolutely.

Although the idea that the 'foreign investment fund' isn't paying tax is wrong, as the foreign investor who is invested in the investment fund is paying tax. For example, in a German investment fund, the tax is being paid by German retirees. Now maybe we might consider it desirable that the tax would be paid in Ireland, but thats a circular argument, as then Irish pension holders would be paying tax on foreign property investment funds (a decent part of any pension, even through standard market index investing).

I'm not sure that argument is too popular, or would satisfy the general public, but the argument is fundamentally that they should be paying more tax on their pension.

Maybe something like 'no more than 20% of a block of houses can go to an investment fund, is a decent idea. It would placate people anyway. Until maybe they go to sell their apartment and find the price they will get is lower than they thought because their building block is already 20% owned by investment funds, and so the investors with the most potential cash aren't able to buy.

I agree though the market needs to change. Something needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                            Any help appreciated!
                                                                                                            Pretty much agreeing with what RD3 says here. A good-looking CV always helps but leaning on your own network or using your innate charm to chat the ears off of business/shop owner will go a long way. My first part-time job in a furniture/carpet store came about from my cousin taking holidays and needing someone to cover for him. My 2nd was a referral from a mate in a petrol station (his dad knew the owner). My brother got a job in the same petrol station as me a few years later. He then got his first "real" job a little later as the owner knew my Dad & Grandad. Both of my sisters got working with their aunt's partner and so on. Mia absolutely has a chance of getting a job on her own if she gets out there but it will be way faster if you can make the connection yourself. I remember distinctly one girl who got hired in the petrol station who looked to chat to the manager. Outside of that, the rest of the CVs went into the bin, unfortunately.

In terms of a free online CV builder, novo resume makes it easy and looks very well too. It'll definitely help out. Put down her interests, music/signing/band, volunteering and anything of note that she's done with her own initiative. Local shops are a great place to start and I'm sure you know one or two of the managers. Perhaps even some of the places near where you'd work for Sky?

Comment

Any normal country lets investors put money in markets, but here the revenue stifle that as much as possible with the high capital gains, low allowance, and archaic and awkward rules. SMB and housing is what people are pushed into.

Comment

Any normal country lets investors put money in markets, but here the revenue stifle that as much as possible with the high capital gains, low allowance, and archaic and awkward rules. SMB and housing is what people are pushed into.
                                                                                                                Do you think that there will be any incentives from Revenue or our next budget to encourage investing? The thought of negative interest on deposits will surely release some €€ into the markets.

Comment

I'm not really getting at that and I don't know a huge amount on the topic, trying to tease this out and improve my understanding. I'm leaning on the side of ringfencing a large portion of new developments for first-time buyers, then social housing, and lastly private investment.

I don't agree with double taxation like you've pointed out but I'm not sure that it's as clear-cut as you suggest and I'm open to correction. I'm purely using back of envelope calculations here but bear with me:

If for example, a foreign pension fund buys a property for 300k and then rents that for 2k a month over 12.5 years, it yields the 300k to the fund separate from the actual capital value of the asset. Let's assume there's no recession or crash. Yes, there will be significant administrative and operational costs for the fund but this is surely still a massive money-spinner. Add another 12.5 years and the compound effect of rent adjustments every 5 years which I haven't allowed for. You see where I'm going. It's not unreasonable to assume that 25 years later the fund could have yielded 800k-1m in rent alone. Again separate to the value of the asset. I know there are large risks associated as well the maintenance of the property etc.

Compare this to the regular mug punter like ourselves or peers who are trying to buy a house and being priced out of the market. The government receives a fair share of tax indirectly as a result of us making a house purchase. Obviously, this also has huge indirect benefits to Irish society - banks, cost of living, jobs, etc.

I don't enough about the topic and what I've posted is probably a pretty naive set of assumptions. However, should a private foreign investor be allowed to make such potential huge yields while constricting the supply of housing and exerting significant influence on the cost of renting? All the while maintaining a limited tax liability or contribution to our society?

It's less than 20% or so people in Ireland that rent, and most are young and DGAF about voting,I am not sure it will be a major issue - people that have houses are happy their price is maintained, maybe a loud issue from a coverage perspective all right, not sure if that will translate to anything.

Comment

This debate about restricting property investment is being driven by populist shite. Apartments are a huge risk for individual buyers/investors as the fire safety shortcuts of the past 15 years have shown. Irish pension schemes invest abroad and diversify and it's a good idea so what's wrong with foreign investors diversifying to here?

IF we had a better run rental market and more supply then renting would be a more reliable long term option.

Too many things outside the single buyers control in an apartment block scenario that can completely destroy their financial lives. Houses less of an issue and the bulk buying of houses is therefore more emotive but if it gives more certainty to builders/developers it will grow the market in aggregate. Instead we have people bemoaning individual stories and not looking at the requirement to build up the overall supply of new accommodation.

People want restrictions when they are buying and no restrictions when they are selling. What we need is more stock and capacity to build stock. We also need a bit of realism about the costs of delivering A rated buildings. Just because you want it to cost X doesn't mean it will....Everything else is bullshit tbh.
                                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Do you think that there will be any incentives from Revenue or our next budget to encourage investing? The thought of negative interest on deposits will surely release some €€ into the markets.
                                                                                                                      No chance. They haven't even increased the allowance. It's 1200 euro because it used to be 1k punts.

Seemingly people who are agitating for it have been told that it's politically unpalatable.

Comment

Hey spaky types and handymen, I've got a hive home heating kit. Judging by youtube it seems pretty straightforward. Am I liable to blow myself up if I install it myself?
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah him

Thats the kind of area I was thinking, had kind of assumed that Frankie was from somewhere like Lucan or Blanch and would have an more ordinary working to middle class upbringing.

Turns out that Frankie's pedigree is remarkably similar you might say even a through the mirror reflection of Eoghan Murphy's with one parent a barrister and another who made his living by being close to Gay Byrne and who also ended up in a, much less dramatic. financial mess !

The more surprising thing about the accent is that he is from Dunsaughlin in deepest Meath his parents being Frank McNamara and my old friend Teresa Lowe

Not looking to take away in the least from his obvious talent I just find it interesting that he's definitely posher than Eoghan Murphy
                                                                                                                          I figured the large varied collection of designer tracksuits leaned more to a fella with a few bob in his pocket
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X