This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    On a related topic, I think watching sports is like masturbation. Everyone does it, there's nothing wrong with it - but it's embarrassing to talk about it all the time.
    I don't.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The best part of watching poker is seeing people lose. Unfortunately, the game is such so that someone has to win, but take away the possibility of losing and there's no spectacle at all.
      Well if you are trying to attract people to the site I would guess you are more inclined to show them the winning bit

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Feels like the effort round controlling the virus is disintegrating.
        First garden party of the year going on next door. You think they would invite you in just to encourage you to keep schtum

Comment

Bizarrely enough, Biden just became the first ever US President to officially recognise the Armenian genocide.

Made politically easier I guess by the absolute wankology (technical term) of the Erdogan government in recent years.

Still amazing that it took over 100 years! Also looks like Ireland has not recognised it either, although maybe we get included under the EU.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

One of my friends did all the investigatory work ending in this prosecution. Lad was putting Cat Rescue charity money into his Paddy Power account :-/

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Anthony junior is all growed up

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                Fintan Hand (Irish) going to be streaming the final table of $5k Scoop event starting at 6.10. Around $200k up top. Pretty huge spot for him as Pokerstars bought him into the event.

https://www.twitch.tv/easywithaces
                Good watch.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Good watch.
                  Pretty sick alright. I mean I don't blame him for losing some focus after it went heads up and it ended up well for him but the heads up is for double the bounties. So currently whoever wins the heads up gets around 105k extra.

Comment

Recently changed my normal coffee from a latte to a latte with coconut milk. Complete game changer. Went today to a cafe that normally doesn't serve great coffee (lack of options) and had the above and it was fantastic, coconut can make any coffee great.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

100%. Look who the owners are.

'English soccer' as a phrase is a hollow joke.
                      You are half right to be fair, it isn't all that way though.

FIFA and UEFA need to be ruined imo anyway. No matter what though it'll never end up that the sport is in the best place possible.

Comment

Looks like he had a power outage. Pokerstars showing the heads-up if you want to watch the end of it.

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

You are half right to be fair, it isn't all that way though.

FIFA and UEFA need to be ruined imo anyway. No matter what though it'll never end up that the sport is in the best place possible.
                          Here's a question.

Why did Abramovich, a Russian, buy Chelsea? We know it wasn't to turn a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                            Looks like he had a power outage. Pokerstars showing the heads-up if you want to watch the end of it.

https://www.twitch.tv/pokerstars
                            Yeah I switched. Actually enjoyed rewatching the hands with both hole cards fr whatever amount of time they were delayed by.

Comment

Here's a question.

Why did Abramovich, a Russian, buy Chelsea? We know it wasn't to turn a profit.
                              Worlds most expensive safe house and toy.
                              There's also a genuine love of the game.

Luckily the first of the megabucks owners turned out to be the best of them. He's a scumbag but as a owner he's the best. There would be a state of the art new stadium nearly finished now too only the Brits had to put the squeeze on him.

Chelsea actually make money. They are one of the most successful clubs in Europe since he took over and haven't relied on his cash for years.

If you take the boom bust cycle of Liverpool over the last 20 odd years, Chelsea do that every 3 to 4 years and while there's plenty of dud seasons and madness there's alot of success and a profitable business. Chelsea will probably sneak the CL this year in a season where the manager got sacked after Xmas whilst in tenth place.

There is many other actual examples of what you're trying to say though.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

On top of that I guarantee you that Championship clubs would protest that relegation as they now have no pathway to the money league for at least 2 years and a significantly higher chance to be relegated, which means they'll lose their best prospects and then the div1 teams will kick up because they are much more likely to go up and straight back down etc etc.
                                why would they protest? If 6 go down then six must come up!

Comment

Also there would be massively improved gate receipts and attention.

Comment

Bizarrely enough, Biden just became the first ever US President to officially recognise the Armenian genocide.

Made politically easier I guess by the absolute wankology (technical term) of the Erdogan government in recent years.

Still amazing that it took over 100 years! Also looks like Ireland has not recognised it either, although maybe we get included under the EU.
                                    Well known fact that Joe's been massive into Armenian-American band System of a Down since the start

Comment

Ironically, it's probably the spiritual home of capitalism, America, where you find the most level sporting pitches. NFL and NBA are huge money sports with a serious intention to level up. So it can be done.

That does depend on a very strong college system though.

Comment

Strong possibility I made up the well known fact alluded to earlier!

Comment

Fuck the draft!

Comment

Anyone watching ufc? That's probably the worst live injury I've seen in sport. Weird how something so rare happens against a guy then to them years later. Sick shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                              why would they protest? If 6 go down then six must come up!
                                              Indeed, but the championship is 24 teams and the other 18 (or 15 I guess + the 3 promoted teams from league 1) would look at it and know that they are a minimum of 3 years away from any feasible shot at promotion and have 2 chances of finding themselves in serious relegation trouble with a potential 12 defeats almost guaranteed in the first season and 6 in the next. Their '5 year plans' go up in smoke and have to be rebuilt.

There is nobody that would be left in the championship that realistically wants Liverpool, City, United, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea to be dropped into their division.

You could argue for a points deduction I guess and they have to fight their way out of a -15 at the start of the year or whatever but I'm not sure what mechanism that would have to get that through in the absence of them actually starting a breakaway league. Especially considering their whole plan was to continue to play in the premier league, but then I have no real idea of the legal ins and outs. I would assume that they all did their due diligence and found a loophole or caveat that would allow them to do so without being punished for it. Otherwise it's hard to see any of them signing up so publicly and being left open to a double whammy.
                                              Last edited by Iago; 25-04-21, 08:37.
                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Brendan Behan on Tiktok. Haven't lost it.

Last edited by Solksjaer!; 25-04-21, 09:55.

Comment

One thing people forget/omit about the NFL salary cap is that there is also a very high NFL salary floor. The players unions would never agree to the cap without the floor being present.
                                                  Each team must spend 90% of the cap, and the league as a whole must spend 95% of the cumulative cap. Any less and compensation must be paid to the players to bring it up to that level.

Apply a cap/floor like that to English football, and you pretty much kill stone dead the romantic idea of a Grimsby finding their way to the EPL for a few seasons.
                                                  Apply it the UEFA competitions and you're into farce, as clearly the resources of the 5th team in England and the Albanian champions in a Europa group have no happy medium point.

Which is not to say I have a solution either, merely a rejoinder to the lazy 'salary cap like wot they have in America wud sort it' efforts at solutions that pop up in the media.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                    Anyone watching ufc? That's probably the worst live injury I've seen in sport. Weird how something so rare happens against a guy then to them years later. Sick shit.
                                                    Was absolutely horrific. Mad that there only been 2 over 25+ years and he’s been in both matches. Career over I’d say.

Comment

Number of Covid-19 patients in hospitals slightly up. Hopefully its not the start of an upward trajectory, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Was absolutely horrific. Mad that there only been 2 over 25+ years and he’s been in both matches. Career over I’d say.
                                                        never seen anything as clean as that one tbh. the whole leg just wrapped around the tibia, and when he goes to stand on it was even more sickening.

Comment

La Forza 4.00 Salisbury

Comment

Being a Spurs fan waiting for the EFL Cup final against Man City is like being invited to a fully participative threesome with Scarlett Johansson and Mandingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Indeed, but the championship is 24 teams and the other 18 (or 15 I guess + the 3 promoted teams from league 1) would look at it and know that they are a minimum of 3 years away from any feasible shot at promotion and have 2 chances of finding themselves in serious relegation trouble with a potential 12 defeats almost guaranteed in the first season and 6 in the next. Their '5 year plans' go up in smoke and have to be rebuilt.

There is nobody that would be left in the championship that realistically wants Liverpool, City, United, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea to be dropped into their division.

You could argue for a points deduction I guess and they have to fight their way out of a -15 at the start of the year or whatever but I'm not sure what mechanism that would have to get that through in the absence of them actually starting a breakaway league. Especially considering their whole plan was to continue to play in the premier league, but then I have no real idea of the legal ins and outs. I would assume that they all did their due diligence and found a loophole or caveat that would allow them to do so without being punished for it. Otherwise it's hard to see any of them signing up so publicly and being left open to a double whammy.
                                                              I’d say all but 6 maybe 8 would be absolutely delighted to have them until their league, season tickets would go through the roof, they’re guaranteed 6 full houses at least, likely more with higher season ticket sales. Yes less likely to get promoted but I actually think it’s like a huge donation given the commercial revenues that they’d generate they wouldn’t be otherwise available.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I’d say all but 6 maybe 8 would be absolutely delighted to have them until their league, season tickets would go through the roof, they’re guaranteed 6 full houses at least, likely more with higher season ticket sales. Yes less likely to get promoted but I actually think it’s like a huge donation given the commercial revenues that they’d generate they wouldn’t be otherwise available.
                                                                Maybe, it’s hard to know for sure though. In the last full season with fans, championship attendances were the highest for any 2nd division in the world and higher than some 1st divisons.

14 teams at >75% average attendance
                                                                18 teams at >60% average attendance

bear in mind there are also a lot of small stadia in the championship so the upside is relatively small, but then their costs are also lower so maybe that’s a wash too.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that there would be more interest and money as a result, i’m not sure there would be enough to offset the negative impacts once they go back up but obviously that’s just personal opinion and I could be way off.
                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Rejoinder is the word of the month. Well done ArmaniJeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                    Number of Covid-19 patients in hospitals slightly up. Hopefully its not the start of an upward trajectory, but it wouldn't surprise me.
                                                                    It would surprise me. Given the profile of those getting covid vs those vaccinated.

Comment

Seems like only yesterday I was plotting and planning with the crew throwing this legendary knees up.

Have a couple of belter stories related to it but sadly nothing I could print.

Comment

did pokio die a death? had decent games last year, but when I logged in recently there was ntohing.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                          Seems like only yesterday I was plotting and planning with the crew throwing this legendary knees up.

Have a couple of belter stories related to it but sadly nothing I could print.

I didn't realise you were involved in that! Very cool. I was at that, and the one at donabate. My friends were reminiscing about it earlier.

Comment

Watching The Righteous Gemstones after letting in slip through the gap a few years ago. It's very good. First episode was the worst, which maybe encouraged a few dropouts.
                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

India looks like what every other country feared right now.

Comment

India looks like what every other country feared right now.
                                                                                I wonder do some countries just naturally look more chaotic. Like remember the wailing and collapse of Italy compared to the apparent serenity of the UK during covid. Despite both countries having the exact same covid outcomes. Maybe the media bias is to emphasis the chaos of certain countries. Like, people were being treated in carparks in Belfast just a few months ago, but it wasn't really filmed as it was viewed as an intrusion of privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I wonder do some countries just naturally look more chaotic. Like remember the wailing and collapse of Italy compared to the apparent serenity of the UK during covid. Despite both countries having the exact same covid outcomes. Maybe the media bias is to emphasis the chaos of certain countries. Like, people were being treated in carparks in Belfast just a few months ago, but it wasn't really filmed as it was viewed as an intrusion of privacy.
                                                                                  I think Italy was special - but only because it was the first country in our sphere to get totally slammed by covid. Any country finding themselves in that situation, even Switzerland, would have looked chaotic at that point in time and on the learning curve. Call it first mover disadvantage.
                                                                                  It's interesting you think the UK looked 'serene', given that they had the worst outcomes. Worse than Italy. Maybe it's just they are led by a fool who is incapable of taking anything seriously, except his own ambitions?

India and Brazil (and much of the rest of South America) are getting slammed now as the rich countries gradually get their vaccine programmes into top gear. It's a function of many factors - underfunded and underdeveloped health care systems, irresponsible political leaders, even culture to some extent (for example the Hindu festivals which as usual were thronged this year and undoubtedly were super-spreader events) and, of course, poverty.

Probably the most surprising aspect of the pandemic for me has been the comparative lack of outbreaks in Africa where you have vast city-slums which in theory should be perfect breeding grounds for covid.

edit to note that of course our impressions are completely shaped by what we see in the media - for whom of course chaotic scenes are ratings gold! India probably too democratic to stop these scenes being shot, compared to some other places where the management of the pandemic is shrouded in mystery.

Comment

Don't think they were doing mass cremations in car parks or burying the dead in public parks up North.......

Comment

I often wonder where countries like India would be today if they hadn't been raped by colonists.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        I often wonder where countries like India would be today if they hadn't been raped by colonists.
                                                                                        Indeed. Damn Mughal conquests!

Comment

35th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear accident today.

According to the official, internationally recognised death toll, just 31 people died as an immediate result of Chernobyl. Model predictions with the greatest confidence values of the eventual total death toll in the decades ahead from Chernobyl releases vary, from 4,000 fatalities when solely assessing the three most contaminated former Soviet states, to about 9,000 to 16,000 fatalities when assessing the total continent of Europe.

In Ireland alone, 4,873 deaths have been attributed to Covid. Globally we are over 3 million.

Comment

I thought housing shortage was a problem, turns out the oul childminding / school shortage also an issue!

Not just able to point at a school in your locality and say "will send them there", heaps of hoops to jump through - including non-refundable waiting list deposits for montessori schools!

Herself wondering how/if she'll be able to get back to work at all at all at all.

Comment

Can't remember who recommended it but we watched Sexy Beast last night and enjoyed it. Love Ben Kingsley and he was as intense as I was expecting him to be. Ray Winstone suited to his part well also. Worth a watch.

Comment

Doubt you ever find a better line in a book.

Travis hesitated for a moment, then with the voice of absolutely no experience, said, ‘I know what to do.’
                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Wrote a poem last night. How do I convert it to magic NFT money and pay off my mortgage?

Comment

I didn't realise you were involved in that! Very cool. I was at that, and the one at donabate. My friends were reminiscing about it earlier.
                                                                                                    I was at the very first Creation beach party, maybe 2 years before this one and my buddy Matt hit it off with Cozzy and became a core part of the crew soon after as he had some experience with the free party scene in London and knew a fair bit about PAs.

So I was always hovering around the periphery doing small bits and pieces to help Matt out more than anything.

Did 'security' on one of the buses that went down the quays for this one (we arrived just as the first Guard arrived and slipped in past him as he looked fairly bewildered) and a couple of other bits and pieces including an ill-fated van journey to procure the famous camouflage netting they used for this and other parties.

A ladder on top of the van wasn't secured properly and flew off going up a slip ramp on the N11 IIRC and we were lucky no one was hurt. We sensibly took that as an omen and went home that particular evening.

I spent the day in court with Matt a couple of months later - (certainly many hours as the superintendent who was supposed to give evidence didn't turn up and had to be sent for). Think he got fined e500 into the poor box. The Guard was very senior but quite complimentary about how the party was run and the interaction with the organisers.

PS.. the Brew Dog pub and Indeed offices sits on that exact site now.
                                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 26-04-21, 13:47.

Comment

Think we can all agree the world needs more of Solks fancy hat putting on shenanigans!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                        Can't remember who recommended it but we watched Sexy Beast last night and enjoyed it. Love Ben Kingsley and he was as intense as I was expecting him to be. Ray Winstone suited to his part well also. Worth a watch.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

AIB shares hit €2.50 today. Wish I hadn't sold some shares two weeks ago to buy fecking NFTs, but que sera, still own quite a lot of shares in them though. Bought the shares with Biden money, as you might remember, at an average of €1.32 last October and November. Some return!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            I thought housing shortage was a problem, turns out the oul childminding / school shortage also an issue!

Not just able to point at a school in your locality and say "will send them there", heaps of hoops to jump through - including non-refundable waiting list deposits for montessori schools!

Herself wondering how/if she'll be able to get back to work at all at all at all.
                                                                                                            Its a completely broken system. Genuinely one of the big reasons we left Ireland when second kid was arriving. The lack of loads of supply despite huge prices for childcare suggests its a fundamental problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                              Think we can all agree the world needs more of Solks fancy hat putting on shenanigans!
                                                                                                              Lol.

The world needs more of covers like this .

Comment

The French childcare system was excellent. After the age of three months you hand the kid over to a heavily-state-subsidised nanny and that was really the last we saw of our kid in the four years leading up to covid, when we found out, in the expanded personal time of lockdown, that he had turned into quite a pleasant young man without any of the flaws that our personal parenting had inflicted on the eldest kid.

Comment

The French childcare system was excellent. After the age of three months you hand the kid over to a heavily-state-subsidised nanny and that was really the last we saw of our kid in the four years leading up to covid, when we found out, in the expanded personal time of lockdown, that he had turned into quite a pleasant young man without any of the flaws that our personal parenting had inflicted on the eldest kid.
                                                                                                                  I'm very hands on. I would hate that.

Comment

Bought the shares with Biden money, as you might remember, at an average of €1.32 last October and November. Some return!
                                                                                                                    Pft, not even 100%. I have been watching some Poker After Dark shows recently, and yesterday I was watching one from 2018 and Durrrr is bemoaning not having pulled the trigger on buying Bitcoin like some other poker players. Someone asks what it's up to now and he moans "$4k".

Comment

Had my two solo for last 5 years, have to say its been fun. The boy has some ROI at Southwell these days too as a bonus.

Comment

Yup. Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Pft, not even 100%. I have been watching some Poker After Dark shows recently, and yesterday I was watching one from 2018 and Durrrr is bemoaning not having pulled the trigger on buying Bitcoin like some other poker players. Someone asks what it's up to now and he moans "$4k".
                                                                                                                          I still haven't finished the latest HSP, but he's a very different animal these days vs his younger days.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X