This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
    filedata/fetch?id=1692607&d=1619094145&type=thumb It was this night I was accused of looking like Brendan Behan. With me pint o plain .

Guy behind me , grey haired - produced one of U2s album.
    He was used to guitar wankers .
    I wasn't kidding. You are an actual doppelgänger for BB himself. Even more so with the pint in hand.

Here's a photo of Solks from another social occasion:

irish-playwright-brendan-behan-with-a-pint-of-beer-glass-neg-shutterstock-editorial-3318289a.jpg
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Are you going for a Santas Little Helper 2? Seemingly donedeal is full of ads for 9-month-old dogs from pricks who bought a dog at the beginning of lockdown and now are going back to work and realise they've no way of looking after them.
      Probably get a new dog - but need to let the dust (and kids emotions) settle a bit first. Maybe in the Autumn when hopefully normal life is in sight.

Not sure if I'd take on a dog that's effectively a fostering job. I think I'd prefer to go from puppyhood for sure.

Comment

Are you going for a Santas Little Helper 2? Seemingly donedeal is full of ads for 9-month-old dogs from pricks who bought a dog at the beginning of lockdown and now are going back to work and realise they've no way of looking after them.
        Donedeal suspended their dog selling section a long time ago for that reason, along with the uptick in stolen dogs being advertised.

There might be another way of advertising a dog on done deal I'm not aware of but the dog section is definitely suspended

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          Not even sure you are technically allowed to bury your dog the way you did. (Don't worry, I won't report you).
          Must be rules on minimum depth, and how far away from water pipes etc that you are.

I wonder if you sell the house short-term do you have to tell the new owners.
          I'm thinking of when they start digging to build a water fountain or something, and find a heap of bones and call in the cops.
          I did check.

3 feet down (so no other critter takes fancy to digging her up), not near pipes, not near walls and you're grand seemed to be the consensus of the internet. Down at the back of quite a long garden between two trees so I doubt anyone ever inters her although if they do, they will be puzzled by the fragments of robot-themed blanket her skeleton will be wrapped in.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

from a pure €€€ point of view would doing the WSOP pay more than the few weddings you could potentially fit in that period?
            Or is it more a labour of love?
            Going by the rate I'm paying my wedding photographer probably not

I've definitely missed the comradely of the people that I work with. Always have felt very fortunate to do what I've been able to do over the last number of years but in saying that been kicking myself for not diversifying outside of poker and this pandemic has shown me that I need to be branching out in what I photograph.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Donedeal suspended their dog selling section a long time ago for that reason, along with the uptick in stolen dogs being advertised.

There might be another way of advertising a dog on done deal I'm not aware of but the dog section is definitely suspended
              My in-laws in Mayo are absolutely paranoid their Springer Spaniel will be dognapped - apparently they are being robbed to order for the UK market.

Comment

Solks much more likely to be straight tho
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                  Solks much more likely to be straight tho
                  In da wimmins prison theres 70 wimmin . Ah sure it's with them I wish I did dwell.

I'd say he was too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

My in-laws in Mayo are absolutely paranoid their Springer Spaniel will be dognapped - apparently they are being robbed to order for the UK market.
                    it's gone absolutely mental here. Dog theft is rampant and people are terrified to take their dogs of the leads (although that doesn't discourage the thieves either). And puppies (especially the new designer breeds)are being sold for a lot of money so new breeders/puppy farms are everywhere. makes you sick tbh.

Comment

I wasn't kidding. You are an actual doppelgänger for BB himself. Even more so with the pint in hand.

Here's a photo of Solks from another social occasion:

irish-playwright-brendan-behan-with-a-pint-of-beer-glass-neg-shutterstock-editorial-3318289a.jpg
                      Ah here ref. That's yer man out of d'unbelievables

Must be a D12 thing you are seeing. BB is a big fat cheeked fellow . I'm hissy fitting here .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Ah. It was my sister in Omagh who said that, so she maybe meant a local NI website, and my brain filled in donedeal.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I was watching the documentary on Netflix about the grip of social media , phones etc on our lives. A LOT of it rang true So as an experiment I’m banning myself from all phone related media for a month to see if I can break the habit. I no longer will be taking my phone any way near the bedroom and will only answer to phone calls and texts during normal hours , so my Whatpass madness will also be curtailed. It should be interesting to see if I can knock it on the head. Scary stuff in the docu , I know - we already know this stuff but it’s still made me feel like a sucker.
                          In something that says far more about me than other people, I get a maximum of 2-3 calls or messages a week..including whatsapp. Not in, nor ever have been, in any whatsapp groups and don’t have any social media accounts (apart from a dead facebook ac that was setup purely because football matches were organised exclusively through there)

this isn’t a new thing either. Even 5-10 years ago other than work calls or messages I practically never used my mobile phone.
                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Ah here ref. That's yer man out of d'unbelievables

Must be a D12 thing you are seeing. BB is a big fat cheeked fellow . I'm hissy fitting here .
                            You should feel honoured to be compared to such an emblematic Dub.

A bit like how I feel when people tell me I look like a younger George Clooney.

Comment

Yeah, they're a wanted breed. There has been 2 cases I know of near my home place in Kerry where a van just pulled up and took the dog away from someone out walking. One was a woman alone, dog on lead, struggle, dog gone. Other was a woman with kids, dog on lead, threaten kids, dog gone. They dgaf, if they want the dog, they'll get it.

Comment

Not sure if you got those knives Hitch but I got these ones about 2 years ago now and they're still going strong. Made a massive difference in the kitchen especially with cooking a lot more during lockdowns. Currently about half price again too

Invest in quality with this superb knife set from Stellar Sabatier. This convenient and stylish knife block provides superb protection for your blades and adds some modern style to your kitchen décor. Including 5 of their most popular and expertly made knives, this set will be a much-loved addition to a discerning chefs collection.

Comment

Yeah will be a dog Holocaust when this is over- the people paying stupid money from dodgy cunts on FB etc are as bad

think dog wardens should just be allowed seize breeds like huskies etc on sight. 99.99% of owners of dogs like that don’t have a fucking clue, it’s sick

Comment

6.35 - Dicebox, Shark Hanlon EW, not a tip and no info but sure what could go wrong with a name like that

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                      6.35 - Dicebox, Shark Hanlon EW, not a tip and no info but sure what could go wrong with a name like that
                                      One for the notebook.
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'm not crazy right? It's a no brainer to go with the first one?

In other house related quandries, Shark Vs Dyson?

Shark seems to be just as good for half the price
                                        No to shark, I was following Mrs Hinch on instagram and ended up buying the cordless one. I had to stop every 5 mins to clear it as it was getting clogged. I had dysons , one 10 yrs, 2nd one 8 yrs just upgraded never had a problem, brought the shark back to currys and they let me change it for theDyson V7 much better and lighter.
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Hey MSN how are you doing? How's the year of lockdown's been for you?

Comment

Iago & Solksjaer!

I'm in the middle of a book about this at the moment. It's a great read so far but I'll reserve full judgement until I finish it and have a proper think.

Digital Minimalism: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tal-minimalism

The gist so far is that humans evolved over Millenia through face to face and social interaction. All the while having meaningful moments of solitude and engagement in relationships, hobbies etc. The advent of ubiquitous internet-enabled mobile devices and attention-hogging algorithmic targeting has left us, anxiety-ridden scroll junkies. Our interactions are reduced to a constant flow of thumbs ups, hearts, or insincere messages.

The author promotes de-programming yourself by reducing the number of apps to the absolute minimum and avoiding social media at almost all costs. By this theory, I should not be visiting IPB ten times daily or even posting. Maybe check once a day or even every few days but more likely ignore it as there is no tangible benefit to me. The time I lose or anxiety that I feel would be essentially eliminated if I replaced this type of activity with something that has intent. Ultimately something I find joyful or fulfilling and that which allows uninterrupted focus.

There's likely a missing message in here about balance but I still have to finish the book. I really do like the concept and it's made me re-evaluate a lot of my technology-related behavior. Particularly when working or being between tasks/chores.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Hey MSN how are you doing? How's the year of lockdown's been for you?
                                              how ya

well its much better now than what it was. working from home is a nightmare, 100% not for me at all. I really miss talking to people.But we are heading back soon thank fuck!
                                              I ate and drank all around me so much so that I ended up knocking the lot on the head. its approx 2 months since I drank and I feel absolutly fantastic, I'm a new woman. My anxiety has vanished , that in itself is like winning the lotto! bit of weight to get down which I am currently working on. but all in all yeah lfe is fabulous hope all is good with you !
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                Iago & Solksjaer!

I'm in the middle of a book about this at the moment. It's a great read so far but I'll reserve full judgement until I finish it and have a proper think.

Digital Minimalism: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tal-minimalism

The gist so far is that humans evolved over Millenia through face to face and social interaction. All the while having meaningful moments of solitude and engagement in relationships, hobbies etc. The advent of ubiquitous internet-enabled mobile devices and attention-hogging algorithmic targeting has left us, anxiety-ridden scroll junkies. Our interactions are reduced to a constant flow of thumbs ups, hearts, or insincere messages.

The author promotes de-programming yourself by reducing the number of apps to the absolute minimum and avoiding social media at almost all costs. By this theory, I should not be visiting IPB ten times daily or even posting. Maybe check once a day or even every few days but more likely ignore it as there is no tangible benefit to me. The time I lose or anxiety that I feel would be essentially eliminated if I replaced this type of activity with something that has intent. Ultimately something I find joyful or fulfilling and that which allows uninterrupted focus.

There's likely a missing message in here about balance but I still have to finish the book. I really do like the concept and it's made me re-evaluate a lot of my technology-related behavior. Particularly when working or being between tasks/chores.
                                                Do you not think IPB is a bit like going to the pub and talking shite with people you've known for years?

Compared to say Twitter, which is the equivalent of having 10,000 strangers running past your open window screaming.

That's kinda how I justify my social media usage anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  I watched Sexy Beast last night. Ray Winstone, Kingsley Amis and Lovejoy in a fantastic mid-nineties crime film. Really excellent.

Edit: actually 2000
                                                  Just watched that again. Thought it was a pile of crap. Other than Ben Kingsley's fit 57 year old bod, there was really nothing in it for me.
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Do you not think IPB is a bit like going to the pub and talking shite with people you've known for years?

Compared to say Twitter, which is the equivalent of having 10,000 strangers running past your open window screaming.

That's kinda how I justify my social media usage anyway.
                                                    For me it's easily along the lines of Twitter/FB/Instagram >> Reddit >>>>>>>> IPB. I know a handful of IPBers IRL and would have chatted with the rest for years here or in the other place. There is absolutely loads of benefit to me logging onto IPB. I quite often learn from people much smarter than I'll ever be. The variety of topics and general good craic (pub chat) is very enjoyable. Without that context it's just any another forum or website. The real question then I suppose is what's a sustainable and healthy amount of online activity? There's some pretty successful heads frequenting this place and it looks to me like a water cooler type scenario. Healthy enough that it's not taking away from their career or family life.

Comment

Prime time report on Dolphin ponzi scheme yet another cautionary tale of what happens when you are offered a couple of percentage points ahead of the market.

Amazing how often farmers who would drive a hundred miles to save a fiver fall for the magic beans

Comment

HJ is many things, but I don't think I've ever heard him called a farmer.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Am seeing a lot of "new recruiting paradigm" and "will hire you anywhere", "recruiting globally" type posts on LinkedIn and on job descriptions lately.

In our place, we had a bunch of buckos move back to India (due to corporate policy and work from anywhere in response to Covid).

But now, a lot of them are (rightfully) arguing why they, the majority of attendees, in meetings have to get up a 4am, and work night shifts to accommodate the few.
                                                          Then there is the spectre of compensation, "we paid you x because you lived in a high cost economy" but now you are back in India type convos.

If you can comfortably do your job from home, it means someone else can do it just as well and likely cheaper remotely, in almost every case.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

how ya

well its much better now than what it was. working from home is a nightmare, 100% not for me at all. I really miss talking to people.But we are heading back soon thank fuck!
                                                            I ate and drank all around me so much so that I ended up knocking the lot on the head. its approx 2 months since I drank and I feel absolutly fantastic, I'm a new woman. My anxiety has vanished , that in itself is like winning the lotto! bit of weight to get down which I am currently working on. but all in all yeah lfe is fabulous hope all is good with you !
                                                            That's fantastic news Michelle.

Thrilled for ya
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Although technically social media, IPB is one of the healthiest life choices I've ever made.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Have ye all watched Frank of Ireland on Channel 4? It seems to have the making of something pretty epic. Some characters the two Gleeson lads, you could imagine them going on to claim all before them if they so choose.

Comment

Hard to think of IPB as social media really. Twitter is such a fucking cesspit i can't believe it. But there's some small benefits such as being known and building up some form of external capital in the workplace

Comment

Have ye all watched Frank of Ireland on Channel 4? It seems to have the making of something pretty epic. Some characters the two Gleeson lads, you could imagine them going on to claim all before them if they so choose.
                                                                    So good, the comedy timing is just so so good. hotspur may disagree though...

Binged the first 4 monday night and finished the last 2 this evening, the finale is very funny.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Just watched that again. Thought it was a pile of crap. Other than Ben Kingsley's fit 57 year old bod, there was really nothing in it for me.
                                                                      There's no accounting for taste!

Comment

It got terrible reviews in the papers, and has a 5 page thread on boards where it's getting universally slated (maybe 90% giving it the thumbs down). Not just an Irish thing either, seemed to go down very badly on the digital spy forum as well. So has to be some doubt about a second series.
                                                                        I really enjoyed the first episode, some absolute laugh out loud moments.

(without putting it in the same parish, I've wondered sometimes how the first eps of Fr Ted would have fared if discussion boards were around at the time)

Comment

Binged it one bored day last week. Wanted to love it cos thought it had good potential. Hated it unfortunately. Hoped it would get better by the end and it just didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

(without putting it in the same parish, I've wondered sometimes how the first eps of Fr Ted would have fared if discussion boards were around at the time)
                                                                            Yeah! Actually I was grouping the two also mainly because of the Channel 4 thing, but also the sense of Irishness of it. I'm really surprised people didn't like it tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              Am seeing a lot of "new recruiting paradigm" and "will hire you anywhere", "recruiting globally" type posts on LinkedIn and on job descriptions lately.

In our place, we had a bunch of buckos move back to India (due to corporate policy and work from anywhere in response to Covid).

But now, a lot of them are (rightfully) arguing why they, the majority of attendees, in meetings have to get up a 4am, and work night shifts to accommodate the few.
                                                                              Then there is the spectre of compensation, "we paid you x because you lived in a high cost economy" but now you are back in India type convos.

If you can comfortably do your job from home, it means someone else can do it just as well and likely cheaper remotely, in almost every case.

The Irish govt were quick off the mark with this one in fairness so if you wanted to count your employee as being Irish based they had to be based in Ireland for most of the year at least.

Companies will spend the cash on employees if it means they get their grants and tax loopholes.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

For me it's easily along the lines of Twitter/FB/Instagram >> Reddit >>>>>>>> IPB. I know a handful of IPBers IRL and would have chatted with the rest for years here or in the other place. There is absolutely loads of benefit to me logging onto IPB. I quite often learn from people much smarter than I'll ever be. The variety of topics and general good craic (pub chat) is very enjoyable. Without that context it's just any another forum or website. The real question then I suppose is what's a sustainable and healthy amount of online activity? There's some pretty successful heads frequenting this place and it looks to me like a water cooler type scenario. Healthy enough that it's not taking away from their career or family life.
                                                                                I don't use any of Twitter\Instagram\Facebook (I do have an account on both Twitter and Facebook but have never used them). Twitter was a little bit useful when I was avidly following the action around the US election but generally you weren't getting anything there that you couldn't get from an actual news site within minutes, without all the levels of hideousness that Twitter entails.
                                                                                I don't understand Tik Tok coz I is old.

I can see how Reddit might be useful for interest groups\hobbies but I don't really ever use it (maybe once a month I am looking for something and I happen across a Reddit that gives the answer, like how to stop my sauce sliding off my pizza base tyvm ).

Interestingly enough, one trend I do see in work is that work itself is becoming more social media like and management keep trying to outdo each other in terms of providing new tooling and content that has fuck all to do with actual work but does look snazzy and proves how modern they are. I'm old enough to think that work should be, eh, work. Any young fucker who has their phone out during a meeting gets told to shove it up their hole asap.

Comment

Enjoying Vipers vax

Comment

I don't understand Tik Tok coz I is old.
                                                                                    TikTok is genuinely great.

Comment

Amusing it's called Tiktok . It seems to steal a lot peoples spare time . I wonder if the creators knew this when naming it.

Comment

TikTok is genuinely great.
                                                                                        Never really got it until I came across this thread yesterday, this first one is one of the weaker ones some class ones further down the thread.

Comment

Only fans is basically this generations poker
                                                                                          https://touch.boards.ie/thread/20581...#post116948167

Young people on the internet taking money off rich old men.

Comment

Enjoying Vipers vax

So good

Comment

Enjoying Vipers vax

So good

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                Only fans is basically this generations poker

Young people taking money off rich old men.
                                                                                                Seems...relatively innocent? Just nude photos\videos or is there a premium version with all sorts of twisted shit going down?

Comment

Hard to beat this for a headline: https://www.irishpost.com/sport/cono...old-man-210378

Conor McGregor buys Dublin pub where he sucker punched old man

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

So good, the comedy timing is just so so good. hotspur may disagree though...

Binged the first 4 monday night and finished the last 2 this evening, the finale is very funny.
                                                                                                    I watched the first episode but turned it off with 5 minutes to go. Closer to Mrs Brown than Father Ted in style imo, which is to say a bit too base for my liking. But wouldn't be adverse to trying it again if people think subsequent episodes are good. I didn't realise when I tuned in that the Gleasons had written it themselves. Very hard to write good comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                      And he has tweeted to say yer mans barred

Comment

.

Seems...relatively innocent? Just nude photos\videos or is there a premium version with all sorts of twisted shit going down?
                                                                                                        Dunno really. Maybe the real money is selling extra stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Dunno really. Maybe the real money is selling extra stuff.
                                                                                                          Seems like you might need to do some research.

Comment

It's not just old rich lads, it's tons of young people pay, same as they pay for twitch subscriptions. Look at how much they pay just to watch people play computer games, sexual stuff would earn a lot more. There is loads of porn and whatever aspect of that that you are into. If one thinks some random nurse in Dublin is making a lot on 12k a month, that is nothing to most of them, hundreds of thousands a week etc. Even that Irish lad that was linked a while back that posts pictures of himself with axes or whatever was on 60k+ a month from 3k followers. Some people make millions a week.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-04-21, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

so basically Vine with better branding
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I watched the first episode but turned it off with 5 minutes to go. Closer to Mrs Brown than Father Ted in style imo, which is to say a bit too base for my liking. But wouldn't be adverse to trying it again if people think subsequent episodes are good. I didn't realise when I tuned in that the Gleasons had written it themselves. Very hard to write good comedy.
                                                                                                                I am still waiting to be proved correct when the next generation discover the brilliance of 2 Broke Girls.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Enjoying Vipers vax
                                                                                                                  Excellent, looks like a genuine arrest the Met wouldn't take kindly to that wouldn't be surprised to see him charged with something for tking the piss on them.

Comment

Its not like I really needed new examples but in recent weeks I've run into a couple of situations that illustrate the absolute blinkered moral void at the heart of corporate entities both state and commercial. The state ones feel worse because they offer no pretence of being configured other than to serve their own purpose and designed to be oblivious to the human needs of their clients, at least with the businesses that have to answer to shareholders you usually have an option to go elsewhere.

I've been reading the back pages of Private Eye for decades so nothing should shock me but this story that's been running for years about the British Post Office still managed to shock me for the sheer obviousness of the injustices being done and the pisspoor inane abuse of power that were inflicted.

Decent podcast in 15 minute episode tells the story well

The extraordinary story of a campaign to uncover a massive scandal at the Post Office.

Comment

Just reading this story and looked up the road. I might be missing something but what possessed someone to make This access route?

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                                        Just reading this story and looked up the road. I might be missing something but what possessed someone to make This access route?
                                                                                                                        I'd assume there is some building regulation that says wheelchair access has to be below a certain angle. Like if you put it straight from the path, you'd struggle to control your speed and likely crash into the front door. No denying it's damn ugly though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          It's not just old rich lads, it's tons of young people pay, same as they pay for twitch subscriptions. Look at how much they pay just to watch people play computer games, sexual stuff would earn a lot more. There is loads of porn and whatever aspect of that that you are into. If one thinks some random nurse in Dublin is making a lot on 12k a month, that is nothing to most of them, hundreds of thousands a week etc. Even that Irish lad that was linked a while back that posts pictures of himself with axes or whatever was on 60k+ a month from 3k followers. Some people make millions a week.
                                                                                                                          Think most of them are talking nonsense. He was claiming 60k grand. That drogheda girl was claiming 50k a month. Just lazy journalists using them for a story, and they get free publicity.

We're in an age where everyone expects everything for free, music, tv, porn. I just think it's all marketing to claim those numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X