This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    My hot take on the Metaverse is that there's nothing about the Internet that is improved by putting a pseudo-realistic 3D interface on it. All it does is create a bunch of limitations that you don't actually want. The only real benefit will be in recreating the intimacy of an in-person conversation without actually being in the same room, but it will always play 2nd fiddle to actually doing that, while not actually being that much better than a zoom call.
    Might actually re-read snow crash, now you mention it!

don't know if you've tried VR - but that is really good for creating a sense of presence, even with current tech. The wife currently logs into a VR gym every morning and says she feels like she is there, as the trainer barks instructions (VRFit game). So thats where I'm thinking metaverses might work. The sense of presence won't be as good as real life, but you'll be able to do more fantastic things. So I'm trying to think of metaverses in that sense.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

don't know if you've tried VR - but that is really good for creating a sense of presence, even with current tech. The wife currently logs into a VR gym every morning and says she feels like she is there, as the trainer barks instructions (VRFit game). So thats where I'm thinking metaverses might work. The sense of presence won't be as good as real life, but you'll be able to do more fantastic things. So I'm trying to think of metaverses in that sense.
      read ready player one for another cool metaverse

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Well I wasnt throwing anything at dice and he knows this so. Twas a rant is all. Meh.
        We can go to a Rovers game and you can stay here and we will hit the pub before and after. I'll stick a hat on you too (if they do one big enough for your massive noggin)

Comment

These guys in Belfast have some stellar prototyping facilities in that kinda area

Our versatile multidisciplinary team have a wide range of capabilities, enabling us to meet our customers most challenging technical problems.

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

We can go to a Rovers game and you can stay here and we will hit the pub before and after. I'll stick a hat on you too (if they do one big enough for your massive noggin)
            Deal.

Was there for a few games. And also for the Dundalk EL qualifiers. Quick spin down the M50. Park at Village Green, pub for 2 pints, walk to game, back to pub. Home.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
              My hot take on the Metaverse is that there's nothing about the Internet that is improved by putting a pseudo-realistic 3D interface on it. All it does is create a bunch of limitations that you don't actually want. The only real benefit will be in recreating the intimacy of an in-person conversation without actually being in the same room, but it will always play 2nd fiddle to actually doing that, while not actually being that much better than a zoom call.
              Remember PKR?

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I used to go to pats games as a childer until it became a fight club
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Well I wasnt throwing anything at dice and he knows this so. Twas a rant is all. Meh.
                  Didn't say you were throwing anything at Dice, was just pointing out that loi heads do tend to get this rant whenever they mention the loi...meh yerself

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

You should definitely take Dice up on this offer, you'd fit right in with that lot

Comment

New-found respect for the grave-digging profession after today, even a terrier sized version is hard enough work in stony and root-filled soil.

She did outlive the Duke of Edinburgh in equivalent years so hopefully gained some final satisfaction from that. Will be strange not having her around after 15 years. She's even met a few IPBers down the years (I do remember her being very interested in the contents of Lao Lao's shopping bag at the Red Stables one Saturday morning).
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Man Utd and Liverpool owners this evening;

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

You know there's an actual longstanding theory that pretty much says that? (minus the exact NFT terminology)
                            I know, was fascinated by the concept when I heard about it a few years back.
                            They (cant remember who ..think it was Fermi labs or something like that) ran an experiment with extremely finely tuned lasers to determine if they could detect an anomaly which would "prove" we were actually a simulation.

Mad Ted!

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I think companies kind of oversell people on the idea of a set of knives. I got a pretty good set of 5 a few years ago and only 2 are used regularly, a 13cm about 80% of the time and a 21cm one about 20%. The others get taken off the rack every six months or so to have the dust washed off them.

If I were you I'd wait and see what the course recommends
                              This.

Spend on a chefs knife, 8" or 10".

Other than a bread knife, it's all you'll use. Buy a cheap bread knife.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                Things are quiet on the freelance photography front there is some light at the end of the tunnel with the WSOP going ahead this year (falls during my wedding) I'd hope to pick up a couple weeks there. Just putting it out there for the BBV if anybody has an in for some work that would be handy enough for me to pick up for a bit? Any help greatly appreciated. If you have my number drop me a line or else send me a PM.
                                Just an idea but I have been impressed with some of the pictures Sligo Rovers have had recently and they have a guy doing it
                                Maybe have a look at the Dublin LOI clubs Twitter/Instagram/websites
                                They are trying to up their game with regards to content, see if one might have a gap and reach out
                                Only pro-sporting event going at moment, might lead to something!?

Actually maybe try the league itself or the FAI as well?
                                Last edited by Guest; 21-04-21, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  I used to go to pats games as a childer until it became a fight club
                                  is there any ostensible difference between the culture of clubs around Dublin? (eg. politics, social history etc...)

I'll be looking for somewhere to the take the young fella in a year or two.

St Pats is closest but Rovers not far away either.

When you say fight club - was it a bit too 'inner city'?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

is there any ostensible difference between the culture of clubs around Dublin? (eg. politics, social history etc...)

Pat's is a perfect place to take the wee lad. DP is exaggerating. Safer than most clubs imo

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

This.

Spend on a chefs knife, 8" or 10".

Other than a bread knife, it's all you'll use. Buy a cheap bread knife.
                                      Bought a solitary chefs knife that was particularly well reviewed and just cost €30 on amazon.

There's a mad amount of lessons just on using knives in this course. Apparently cutting is the heart of cooking
                                      ​​​​​.

Comment

Bought a solitary chefs knife that was particularly well reviewed and just cost €30 on amazon.

There's a mad amount of lessons just on using knives in this course. Apparently cutting is the heart of cooking
                                        ​​​​​.
                                        Sounds brilliant. Yep, I'd say a lot of it would be dish dependant too. Like, you could cut an onion probably a dozen different ways depending on what you're doing with it.

Comment

​​​​​.
                                          Yeah the serrated knife really is just for bread (for me anyway). While an expensive one might feel nicer in the hand, you'd want to be cutting a lot of bread to be bothered.
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            New-found respect for the grave-digging profession after today, even a terrier sized version is hard enough work in stony and root-filled soil.

She did outlive the Duke of Edinburgh in equivalent years so hopefully gained some final satisfaction from that. Will be strange not having her around after 15 years. She's even met a few IPBers down the years (I do remember her being very interested in the contents of Lao Lao's shopping bag at the Red Stables one Saturday morning).
                                            It’s tough and a shame dogs don’t live longer. They are better than most people. My friends dog died this year 15 jack Russell very tough on kids they were there before she was and have a lovely memorial with a couple of photos.

Comment

I'm not crazy right? It's a no brainer to go with the first one?

In other house related quandries, Shark Vs Dyson?

Shark seems to be just as good for half the price
                                              Would you go Rose Gold? https://www.currys.ie/ieen/home-appl...96805-pdt.html

Comment

Ha! I'd forgotten all about that. I think I'd just bought a lot of meat from the grumpy 'aul lad that had the organic meat van. He was a strange fish altogether. Great product but the customer service skills of a rock.

RIP Stuntdog!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

It would be Bohs for me. 100% membership owned since they were founded. Very vocal of society issues, especially racism and massively involved in the local community.

Comment

The Mauritanian is well worth two hours.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Ha! I'd forgotten all about that. I think I'd just bought a lot of meat from the grumpy 'aul lad that had the organic meat van. He was a strange fish altogether. Great product but the customer service skills of a rock.

RIP Stuntdog!
                                                      He's still there - comes up every Saturday from Carlow - still the same bundle of craic as he ever was.
                                                      He also has a son who's inherited the same personality. Must be about 16 now and as awkward and dour as they come.

Meat is superb though so meh, who needs jokes and smiles. Butchers are typically a jolly lot in my experience.

Comment

He's still there - comes up every Saturday from Carlow - still the same bundle of craic as he ever was.
                                                        He also has a son who's inherited the same personality. Must be about 16 now and as awkward and dour as they come.

Meat is superb though so meh, who needs jokes and smiles. Butchers are typically a jolly lot in my experience.
                                                        Big mountain looking lad that also does his own cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Big mountain looking lad that also does his own cheese?
                                                          No cheese and not a big lad.

It's this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                            It would be Bohs for me. 100% membership owned since they were founded. Very vocal of society issues, especially racism and massively involved in the local community.
                                                            Yeah they'd definitely be my go to club if I were on the northside. I suppose there's nothing stopping us travelling but I do like the idea of a more local club. While I'm not a Dubliner, he is and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

So, I did get a response from our payment people! But I'm not giving you much more info than I had earlier - your withdrawal attempts were rejected by your own bank as they claim not to support VISA Direct, which unfortunately is the way our payment processor (the middle man between GGPoker and banks, e-wallets, etc...) facilitates withdrawals. Now using Skrill or Neteller is easiest but I can understand why you wouldn't want to bother setting up another account. My contact suggested that the best way forward was first to actively challenge your bank to enable this type of withdrawal for your account (as other VISA Direct withdrawals are getting through for other players), as they might be applying a restriction against you for whatever reason neither GG nor you are aware of. The next thing to do if this doesn't work is using a different card to withdraw (hopefully from a different financial institution!), after first making a minimum deposit of $10 to 'enable' that method A last resort (and happy to work with you on this) is to facilitate a manual transfer direct to your bank.
                                                              Thanks a million for that Ionapaul. Ah look, dont be bothering about it, not end-of-the-world stuff at all. As the man sez, rules is rules and I accept that.
                                                              I have over 40 years experience with the same bank/branch, and never a hard word between us, so I would hope/expect there is nothing they are not telling me.
                                                              It may be the issue is cos I tried to withdraw dollars - Wicklowp seemed to sort the issue for himself by looking to refund in Euro, so I may lodge a small amount,
                                                              play a few games and try refunding in euro and see what happens - else no biggie. No need for you to be doing anything else ionapaul, I dont expect to be playing online to any
                                                              extent that would require manual transfers etc .
                                                              Listen, you've gone above and beyond for basically a randomer, and I appreciate your kindness and assistance in a really big way. I am fully informed now and so
                                                              no excuses for moaning , I'll figure out what way to proceed next.
                                                              Thanks a million, I owe you at some level and lets hope the oul good karma rewards you in some way...
                                                              Thanks again.

Comment

Was just thinking how wonderful it was that George Hooke's attempt at a covid revival of his media profile was a total failure https://www.youtube.com/c/CovidRecoveryIreland/videos

Here he was with Ireland's no 1 covid grifter Ivor C

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Pat's is a perfect place to take the wee lad. DP is exaggerating. Safer than most clubs imo
                                                                  As I said, I went as a childer.
                                                                  It's by all accounts, much better now

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                    Leaning towards cordless.
                                                                    I've a problem with currys. I know that they mark up their computers and computer assesories a huge amount so naturally treat all their offerings with the suspicion that I can get a better deal elsewhere.

Comment

I go to better beds but I sleep less well

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        I go to better beds but I sleep less well

Good interview with Solks there

"So Mr Behan, has success spoilt you?"

"No, I was always like this"

(you see him reining in the instinct to say 'no, I was always a bollix')

Comment

I presume that's a pinnie and not a stickie on his lapel

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Danny, is the WSOP photography sorted already? Who will you be doing it for - PokerNews?
                                                                            Hey Paul it's not sorted (afaik) I was chatting to some people in PokerNews who said they were having discussions, speaking to one of the other guys about heading over this year and that I should talk to my fiancee about it. I'd love to be back into the swing of things and hope I can get back behind the lens. If I do head over it will be more than likely working for PokerNews.

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Just an idea but I have been impressed with some of the pictures Sligo Rovers have had recently and they have a guy doing it
                                                                            Maybe have a look at the Dublin LOI clubs Twitter/Instagram/websites
                                                                            They are trying to up their game with regards to content, see if one might have a gap and reach out
                                                                            Only pro-sporting event going at moment, might lead to something!?

Actually maybe try the league itself or the FAI as well?
                                                                            I follow your man James Crombie on Twitter who has been doing the Sligo Rovers stuff and his photos are really good. I have a feeling that a lof of the LOI stuff is locked up with some company/organization as the times I've been to Pat's matches they do have a couple photographers there.

Cheers folks
                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Something I was wondering about (as I dug out a grave) was this - are you allowed to bury a human 'at home' here?

Definitely something that is very prevalent in other parts of the world - lots of rural Americans bury their dead at home and I remember being in the Cook Islands and every house had a collection of ancestral graves out the front. In Europe and here in Ireland specifically, that seems not to be the case - is it something that is actually legally prohibited or is it just a case of culture and custom not to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Hey Paul it's not sorted (afaik) I was chatting to some people in PokerNews who said they were having discussions, speaking to one of the other guys about heading over this year and that I should talk to my fiancee about it. I'd love to be back into the swing of things and hope I can get back behind the lens. If I do head over it will be more than likely working for PokerNews.

I follow your man James Crombie on Twitter who has been doing the Sligo Rovers stuff and his photos are really good. I have a feeling that a lof of the LOI stuff is locked up with some company/organization as the times I've been to Pat's matches they do have a couple photographers there.

Cheers folks
                                                                                from a pure €€€ point of view would doing the WSOP pay more than the few weddings you could potentially fit in that period?
                                                                                Or is it more a labour of love?

Comment

Something I was wondering about (as I dug out a grave) was this - are you allowed to bury a human 'at home' here?

Definitely something that is very prevalent in other parts of the world - lots of rural Americans bury their dead at home and I remember being in the Cook Islands and every house had a collection of ancestral graves out the front. In Europe and here in Ireland specifically, that seems not to be the case - is it something that is actually legally prohibited or is it just a case of culture and custom not to do it?
                                                                                  Some farmer with a nice bit of land, I guess would be no problem. You'd need approval and inspections before hand to ensure no cables/pipes, drainage issues or whatever
                                                                                  Sticking your granny in the front garden of a terraced house in Crumlin might be different.

Comment

That depends. Your typical Bohs fan would probably bury their ‘cough’ releatives up in the Dublin Mountains somewhere in an unmarked and exclusive graveyard. Their back gardens would be the last place they would bury anything , at most maybe a hand with a finger missing (due to tightness of sovereign ring) Whereas your typical Pats fan would use Mount Jerome or similar. Down in Kerry they bury their heads into their hands mostly around all Ireland time. In Mayo they don’t die, they never die in Mayo, they keep coming back, even when you are convinced they are completely dead.

Comment

That Brendan Behan clip is fascinating. Read everything he wrote, but never actually heard him speaking before, and he actually speaks like he reads. Like a cheeky bollix. Saw another video set a few years after that and he sounded a bit more like Shane McGowan by that stage. Well not that bad, but something more in that direction.

Comment

Good interview with Solks there

"So Mr Behan, has success spoilt you?"

"No, I was always like this"

(you see him reining in the instinct to say 'no, I was always a bollix')
                                                                                        I'm much pointier looking than him. I dont see the resemblance , have been told before I look like him.
                                                                                        Must be the unkempt look . My mirror tells a tale of a more dashing figure .
                                                                                        Last edited by Solksjaer!; 22-04-21, 10:47.

Comment

That Brendan Behan clip is fascinating. Read everything he wrote, but never actually heard him speaking before, and he actually speaks like he reads. Like a cheeky bollix. Saw another video set a few years after that and he sounded a bit more like Shane McGowan by that stage. Well not that bad, but something more in that direction.
                                                                                          Wasn't there always an open question about whether Behan was gay (or bisexual)? I think it was widely known at the time but given the climate, it only came out long after he died. Might have been Ulick O'Connor who actually put it down in print.

Comment

Some farmer with a nice bit of land, I guess would be no problem. You'd need approval and inspections before hand to ensure no cables/pipes, drainage issues or whatever
                                                                                            Sticking your granny in the front garden of a terraced house in Crumlin might be different.
                                                                                            Yeah just wondering what the legality of it is vs custom and practice.

A quick google suggests it's difficult but not impossible to get approval for it. Could hardly see it happening in any kind of urban setting.

/turns off random thought generator for this morbid topic/

Comment

Was Behan a good writer? I tried reading his play The Hostage earlier this month and didn't get very far.

Comment

He was a good writer ,not a great writer

I was very young when I read Borstal Boy and enjoyed it but I wasn't inspired to read everything he wrote, definitely worth reading though. Saw a good production of the Quare Fellow some years later and thought it was a bit of a rehash of BB but it was actually the other way around.

Comment

Read everything he wrote, but never actually heard him speaking before, and he actually speaks like he reads. Like a cheeky bollix. Saw another video set a few years after that and he sounded a bit more like Shane McGowan by that stage. Well not that bad, but something more in that direction.
                                                                                                  If you never actually heard him speak before. Then I presume the other video was actually just Shane McGowen.

Mad to think Behan is 36 in that clip though.

Comment

I remember in a pub in Prague. A huge mural of himself sitting in his gaff in Crumlin . I have it somewhere .

Comment

No cheese and not a big lad.

It's this guy.
                                                                                                      Not the grumpy bollix I was thinking of, but funny, I do have his number in my phone. Don't remember him though.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1692607&d=1619094145&type=thumb It was this night I was accused of looking like Brendan Behan. With me pint o plain .

Guy behind me , grey haired - produced one of U2s album.
                                                                                                        He was used to guitar wankers .
                                                                                                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Solksjaer!; 22-04-21, 12:27.

Comment

I was watching the documentary on Netflix about the grip of social media , phones etc on our lives. A LOT of it rang true So as an experiment I’m banning myself from all phone related media for a month to see if I can break the habit. I no longer will be taking my phone any way near the bedroom and will only answer to phone calls and texts during normal hours , so my Whatpass madness will also be curtailed. It should be interesting to see if I can knock it on the head. Scary stuff in the docu , I know - we already know this stuff but it’s still made me feel like a sucker.

Comment

I remember in a pub in Prague. A huge mural of himself sitting in his gaff in Crumlin . I have it somewhere .
                                                                                                            O'Che Guevarra's?

Comment

I can see all this hullabaloo over the shinners data breaches/irregularities/incorrectly storing data coming back to bite all the political parties in the arse.

It looks like our medical experts are waiting for someone else to make a decision on the JNJ vaccine...pussies...

Isnt it a beautiful day all the same, in spite of the news.
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I was watching the documentary on Netflix about the grip of social media , phones etc on our lives. A LOT of it rang true So as an experiment I’m banning myself from all phone related media for a month to see if I can break the habit. I no longer will be taking my phone any way near the bedroom and will only answer to phone calls and texts during normal hours , so my Whatpass madness will also be curtailed. It should be interesting to see if I can knock it on the head. Scary stuff in the docu , I know - we already know this stuff but it’s still made me feel like a sucker.
                                                                                                                Its mad how effective that documentary is. My brother has never returned to FB since and uses some non-google search engine now.

Comment

Yeah just wondering what the legality of it is vs custom and practice.

A quick google suggests it's difficult but not impossible to get approval for it. Could hardly see it happening in any kind of urban setting.

/turns off random thought generator for this morbid topic/
                                                                                                                  Are you going for a Santas Little Helper 2? Seemingly donedeal is full of ads for 9-month-old dogs from pricks who bought a dog at the beginning of lockdown and now are going back to work and realise they've no way of looking after them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      Nothing from Patsy Fagan then ?

Comment

O'Che Guevarra's?
                                                                                                                        Thought it was The Dubliner or something. Near the mojito bar.

Comment

Not even sure you are technically allowed to bury your dog the way you did. (Don't worry, I won't report you).
                                                                                                                          Must be rules on minimum depth, and how far away from water pipes etc that you are.

I wonder if you sell the house short-term do you have to tell the new owners.
                                                                                                                          I'm thinking of when they start digging to build a water fountain or something, and find a heap of bones and call in the cops.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X