Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wishes to your brother wombat, look into if something like this might help with the sleep
    Different thing entirely by I was having trouble sleeping a while ago (posted in here at all hours o'clock a few times) and these videos really helped
    Headphones in, phone to the side of pillow and off I'd go
    *Judging by the positive comments on these videos they helping a lot of people so might be worth a try

Last edited by Guest; 19-04-21, 20:37. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Sounds like they are doing the right things. One thing I remember from a similar family episode was to check up on them - are they are actually taking their drugs, are they actually keeping their appointments, are they accurately describing their symptoms if they are keeping appointments?

In our case she wasn't, and no-one ever found out until afterwards. Apparently this is quite common.
      I remember that . I often wondered what happened in the end but thought it might be too raw . I guess after all the years I can ask. What happened? Feel free to ignore.

Wombatman. Just keep the communications going as best you can. We all get wrapped up in our own lives and forget to pick up the phone. Be good if you can find something to plan together . (Dont forget his missus though)

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
        Best wishes to your brother wombat, look into if something like this might help with the sleep
        Different thing entirely by I was having trouble sleeping a while ago (posted in here at all hours o'clock a few times) and these videos really helped
        Headphones in, phone to the side of pillow and off I'd go

Would that not make you be bursting for a slash?
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

If you want a story about real football and real people you could do worse than watch the Derry City documentary on BBC 2.

It's easy to forget all clubs once had stories like that before they became the playthings of the rich, a dead-end of entitlement and shallow branded revenue stream experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
            If you want a story about real football and real people you could do worse than watch the Derry City documentary on BBC 2.

It's easy to forget all clubs once had stories like that before they became the playthings of the rich, a dead-end of entitlement and shallow branded revenue stream experiences.
            Was just looking for that

Comment

Wombatman my only addition to the comments so far is don't ask him to commit to evening walks, you commit to it.
              Best of luck with it man.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just do what you can to help, Wombatman. Even if that's just material things, it makes a difference.
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                  the playthings of the rich, a dead-end of entitlement and shallow branded revenue stream experiences.
                  Funny thing about watching some of the smugness about this from rugger heads is their sport is all of the above from the top down to the grassroots

Comment

Wombatman, if it were my brother this is what I would do. I would convince him to do some therapy, I don't know what the session a week with the psychiatrist is, but they rarely do psychotherapy.

I would explain that usually when you are depressed you stop doing things. Motivation is grounded in reward, a basic behavioural principle. Think when you are training a dog and you want him to sit, he sits and you give him a treat. That makes him more likely to sit in the future, i.e. he is more motivated to sit due to having received a reward for it. We are like that too. When you stop doing things you stop experiencing the reward that comes with it. Thus motivation starts to slip away. It can go very, very low in depression.

Now most of us most of the time when deciding whether we will do something ask ourselves "Do I feel like doing it?" This is the rule we often use. And this works fairly well most of the time. This does not work when you are depressed. You don't feel like doing anything, and so if you stick to the rule of only doing something if you feel like it then you will never experience the rewards of doing things which then raises motivation to do things. You're stuck.

So when you're depressed you have to drop that rule of doing something only if you feel like it. What you need to do is write a list (you can help with this) of things that you have gotten pleasure from in the past or have given you a sense of accomplishment (i.e. meaning). Then you start to schedule doing things based on that. Specific things at a specific times in the week. And then, when that time comes you do that thing completely regardless of whether you feel like doing it or not. This is crucial. You do what you have scheduled irrespective of motivation, mood, energy, etc.

This results in behaviour that is pleasurable or gives a sense of accomplishment (even if at the time it doesn't subjectively feel hugely pleasurable), and this is rewarding and it builds motivation to act in these ways again, even if it builds it slowly. This is how to get out of depression at the behavioural level.

Now being depressed also affects our cognition and leads to a general negative triad of thinking negatively about ourselves, the world, and the future. These negative cognitions are kept going by certain cognitive distortions, and it can be helpful to be aware of them so that we can catch ourselves. Here is such a list of them.

The self-help book I give to people for depression is this excellent one and I would recommend buying for your brother.

Everyone's depression is different in some ways. There may be very specific things with your brother in his environment and / or within him that need to be addressed. Maybe you can find that out. It also strikes me that it may be that others in his family need help, and if so is there a role for you there with the eldest son or the mother?

This is a very difficult thing to talk about but since you mention your father's suicide. There are two things which predict suicidal behaviour. The first is a sense of being a burden to others, that they would be better off without you. It is helpful to counteract these and let a person know how much they are valued and not a burden. The second is gradually acquiring desensitisation to a specific method of harming oneself that can be lethal.

I would ask him if he has thought about killing himself, and if so if he has a plan. My own approach to talking with a suicidal person has been to go into it at depth, just how bad they're feeling, why they might want to put an end to it, allow the space for that with empathy and holding back to allow any such thoughts or feelings to come up into the light and be expressed. It can make a big difference admitting all of that to someone. Then after enough time with that I would broaden the conversation out, usually with some humour believe it or not about the shitness of life or something vaguely ridiculous in it all. And I would connect the person to something within them that they love or have been passionate about. Something to do with life.

But sometimes also a person may just not be safe, and it becomes necessary to keep them safe. They may need to go into an inpatient setting. I have even called the Gardai to come and get someone in danger.

Finally look after yourself too in all of this. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I can only imagine what any of this with your brother may be bringing up for you. So bringing a kindly awareness to how this is for you, sharing it, and getting support you need too in facing this. And you can't always do what you would wish to for a person, sometimes you can only do so much.

I wish you all well with it Wombatman.

Comment

Would that not make you be bursting for a slash?
                      Not as of yet....and if I start to now, I'm blaming you

Comment

are they are actually taking their drugs, are they actually keeping their appointments, are they accurately describing their symptoms if they are keeping appointments?
                        That seems like top practical advice - Make sure he's getting the professional help thats available to him.

Remember the doc when I said something to her about meditation - (and similarly the walks idea) - she said - its no good. You are too far into depression we need a way to get you out of it. Meditation and exercise etc are for lifes natural lulls, while serious clinical depression needs serious clinical help. I think there's maybe a natural thing where we think someone can get out of this with the way we shake things off, and it comes from a great place (and is clearly no harm either), but every drug taken, every appointment used successfully, is probably the biggest win in this situation.

Best wishes.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hope all works out well for him Wombatman.

Comment

wow thats excellent hotspur. really brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Funny thing about watching some of the smugness about this from rugger heads is their sport is all of the above from the top down to the grassroots
                              But but but that area of New Zealand, the islands we rob all our players from and that bit of Wales are full of poor people who rugger

Comment

I get the feeling the soccer powers that be consider the fans to be an inconvenience - with some honourable exceptions like Germany, where the clubs are owned by the fans and ticket prices are kept low. English soccer sold its soul many years ago and I don't know how any fan could keep going to games with the financial mugging that entails.
                                You get the feeling the people who make the prices consider the people who spend their money an inconvenience?

You think Germany where the system benefits Bayern more than anyone else is the exception? Germany is held back by these fans and now they all throw a strop at Leipzig doing what you can do to be successful.

English soccer did something in the early 90s that every other national association wishes they did the first.

Its been cheaper for me to day trip Chelsea than half day Lansdowne Road on quite a few occasions.

I make last orders back in my local in Kilcoole easily when going to a 3pm game in London. I never make it when hitting a 7.45pm in Dublin using public transport and London is still cheaper most of the time!

You're wrong m8

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

You get the feeling the people who make the prices consider the people who spend their money an inconvenience?
                                  100%. Look who the owners are.

'English soccer' as a phrase is a hollow joke.

Comment

So sorry to hear your brother is struggling Wombatman, this is putting you under a lot of stress also and on edge, when a text message isn't replied to straight away if can be very stressful, wouldn't hurt for you to have a chat with someone also. hotspurs advice as always is the best. Best of luck with everything.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

wha?

Comment

Database guru types
                                        college course, design a database for a dentist type project...all good

30% of marks... demonstrate codds 12 rules to prove database is relational *(not his normalization stuff)
                                        With accompanied rules that look like the have been roughly translated from Hindi (their defacto youtube language of choice)

eehh...whole internet seems to be ignoring these rules from the past designed to fight fake rdbs that no longer exist

Can a kindly database guru point me in the direction of a simple (with examples if possible) breakdown of the rules
                                        Last edited by Guest; 20-04-21, 12:55. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          wha?

I seem to have deleted my reply while trying to edit it

Anyway I think this proves that one study, by one person, with one bias opinion, on one set of data should not be published and treated as fact.

Like that paper the Tories keep waving around as proof everything will be great...written by two lads at London business college, one a Hong Kong student and the other apparently a bit of a Toryboy... apparently

All medical science says they get worse because x, y and z

Anyhu...one comment on the tweet is good, if this study is true it just proves that kids today are lightweights

I look forward to the retraction in 25 years when all the 20 year olds call him and say it's gotten worse
                                          Last edited by Guest; 20-04-21, 09:43.

Comment

Thanks lads Really appreciate the feedback, Hotspur in particular. Will take the time to digest that one and put to use. He is planning on therapy sessions but feels he is so confused and forgetful now, that it would be of little value. He said he is going to wait until the meds kick in properly.

He said he did 6 laps of the local track last night, his first proper exercise in two months. We are trending positive anyway.
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

I was thinking about the champions league and the threat to ban the 3 clubs before the semi's

They shouldn't do this, not fair on PSG to win it dirty, let PSG (PSG are the fucking good guys, Jesus Christ) try and win it and cancel it as soon as they get knocked out

If PSG lose the final, hand them the losers medals on the podium, get the winning team to queue to the side of the podium and then have a bunch of lads come on the pitch,
                                                take the plinth apart and have whomever is presenting the trophy walk off down the tunnel with it

...I should probably be spending my time giving it the auld Indiana Jones on the ancient text of the database rather than this shite
                                                Last edited by Guest; 20-04-21, 11:19.

Comment

I was thinking about the champions league and the threat to ban the 3 clubs before the semi's

They shouldn't do this, not fair on PSG to win it dirty, let PSG (PSG are the fucking good guys, Jesus Christ) try and win it and cancel it as soon as they get knocked out

If PSG lose the final, hand them the losers medals on the podium, get the winning team to queue to the side of the podium and then have a bunch of lads come on the pitch,
                                                  take the plinth apart and have whomever is presenting the trophy walk off down the tunnel with it

...I should probably be spending my time giving it the auld Indiana Jones on the ancient text of the database rather than this shite
                                                  Who is this PSG of whom you speak? do you not mean 'Qatari sportswashing brand improvement project' FC?

Comment

What's the betting on the Chauvin trial?

Would be American news for the evening job if he walks.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Probably walk, and start a podcast with OJ.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 20-04-21, 12:44.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Who is this PSG of whom you speak? do you not mean 'Qatari sportswashing brand improvement project' FC?
                                                        Ya, you know the lads everyone called scum until Sunday and now suddenly they are the ones pointing at others shouting scum and everyone is agreeing with them

Comment

Database guru types
                                                          college course, design a database for a dentist type project...all good

30% of marks... demonstrate codds rules to prove database is relational
                                                          With accompanied rules that look like the have been roughly translated from Hindi (their defacto youtube language of choice)

eehh...whole internet seems to be ignoring these rules from the past designed to fight fake rdbs that no longer exist

Can a kindly database guru point me in the direction of a simple (with examples if possible) breakdown of the rules
                                                          Codd helped come up with a few rule sets around databases. One set is concerned with how relational database management systems are implemented. I don't think is the rule set you are interested in.

The rule set you are probably interested in, if the question is about designing a database for a dentist, are Codd's normalization rules, well Boyce-Codd's actually.

Google how to normalize a database.

Something like this. https://www.w3schools.in/dbms/database-normalization/

Data normalizations is hugely important. Trying to write SQL against a dataset that isn't correctly normalized from the get go, is a massive pain in the hoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Codd helped come up with a few rule sets around databases. One set is concerned with how relational database management systems are implemented. I don't think is the rule set you are interested in.

The rule set you are probably interested in, if the question is about designing a database for a dentist, are Codd's normalization rules, well Boyce-Codd's actually.

Google how to normalize a database.

Something like this. https://www.w3schools.in/dbms/database-normalization/

Data normalizations is hugely important. Trying to write SQL against a dataset that isn't correctly normalized from the get go, is a massive pain in the hoop.

I wish it was the normalisation rules wombat, that's all pretty simple imo
                                                            It is indeed the twelve rules of what is relational
                                                            The lecturers lecture on it is him basically repeating them and saying stuff like they are hard to understand, lazy bastard!

Seems to me they were written for a time when cowboys pretended their product was relational but now it is all kind of in the code hence ignored
                                                            Im sure it's relatively straight forward but was just looking for a simpler breakdown than the actual rules to follow

I should have made that clearer, will edit, Cheers!
                                                            Last edited by Guest; 20-04-21, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

only takes one headbanger on the jury.....

my money would be on a manslaughter guilty verdict

Comment

Ya, you know the lads everyone called scum until Sunday and now suddenly they are the ones pointing at others shouting scum and everyone is agreeing with them
                                                                ah you mean 'American Venture Capitalist' City or 'Russian Murderous Oligarch' United?

Comment

The lecturers lecture on it is him basically repeating them and saying stuff like they are hard to understand, lazy bastard!

Seems to me they were written for a time when cowboys pretended their product was relational but now it is all kind of in the code hence ignored
                                                                  Im sure it's relatively straight forward but was just looking for a simpler breakdown than the actual rules to follow

As I said, implementing the 12 (13) rules is the business of RDBMS designers like Microsoft, Oracle or the PostgreSQL Global Development Group. I certainly wouldn't be writing a RDBMS from scratch if I was throwing a database together for a Dentist. A better question might have been, compare and contrast how compliant a few major RDBMS implementations are with the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

As I said, implementing the 12 (13) rules is the business of RDBMS designers like Microsoft, Oracle or the PostgreSQL Global Development Group. I certainly wouldn't be writing a RDBMS from scratch if I was throwing a database together for a Dentist. A better question might have been, compare and contrast how compliant a few major RDBMS implementations are with the rules.
                                                                    Ya, that's what I thought myself but...
                                                                    I need to prove my sql database fits the rules using queries etc
                                                                    Probably easy enough but seems pointless and there is a reason all the youtube videos are cheap and in Hindi or history lessons

Ive an awful feeling given a couple of weeks i could write a better database course than him

Thanks for clearing that up a bit!

Comment

Bitta Dunning Kruger in here today.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

You think Germany where the system benefits Bayern more than anyone else is the exception? Germany is held back by these fans and now they all throw a strop at Leipzig doing what you can do to be successful.

English soccer did something in the early 90s that every other national association wishes they did the first.

Its been cheaper for me to day trip Chelsea than half day Lansdowne Road on quite a few occasions.

I make last orders back in my local in Kilcoole easily when going to a 3pm game in London. I never make it when hitting a 7.45pm in Dublin using public transport and London is still cheaper most of the time!

You're wrong m8
                                                                        Are you in favour of the new league?

Obv it isn't a runner in its current proposed format but lets assume that if it does get out of the gate it will succeed and quickly become a c.20 team pan Europe maybe even EMEA franchise; is Chelsea dining at the big boys table a worthwhile price to pay for a complete and permanent separation from the FA and English soccer?
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just write that's all academic nonsense and none of the major RDBMS's implement them exactly correctly for various reasons. Guaranteed to get either an A or an F.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Just write that's all academic nonsense and none of the major RDBMS's implement them exactly correctly for various reasons. Guaranteed to get either an A or an F.
                                                                            Seriously tempted
                                                                            Thing is, fado fado when I did the engineering degree, I did databases, never did this, now on a course that is more basic I seeing this shit

When I first started reading and saw about how Oracle dont do them all and others use them less...

My pretend shop database is going to be one of the purest in the world, will look great on my CV... writer of Pure databases hey

Tbh, First time I saw it, I was what the fuck... imagine the people who never did SQL/Databases before?

Thanks lads, will just plow on without much thought to it and see!

Last edited by Guest; 20-04-21, 15:51.

Comment

Are you actually developing an RDBMS from scratch or using an existing one? If the latter then you just have describe how that RDBMS achieves those things for you, which should be readily available in the docs. It's not really relevant to the design as the RDBMS won't allow you to break those rules. If the former then O_o that's a huge lump of work for a course project.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                Are you actually developing an RDBMS from scratch or using an existing one? If the latter then you just have describe how that RDBMS achieves those things for you, which should be readily available in the docs. It's not really relevant to the design as the RDBMS won't allow you to break those rules. If the former then O_o that's a huge lump of work for a course project.
                                                                                SQL database in MariaDB on myPHPAdmin

Have to write some sql to prove the various rules, got my head around it pretty much now, was just looking for simplified version of the rules with maybe some examples

I think he pulled it out of his arse tbh

Should be grand, cheers fella

Comment

Have been having a tough few weeks Myself recently, then today I remembered Ireland’s bottle job at the Japan rugby World Cup and i cheered up instantly. It’ll never stop being funny

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                    Bitta Dunning Kruger in here today.
                                                                                    Tell us more......

Comment

Kildare overtaking Offaly as Covidiest County I see.

Comment

The smartest rats trying to bail back onto land before it is too late?

Comment

Find Investment Properties for Sale in Dublin 2, Dublin. Search 20 Investment Properties for sale on Daft.ie now.

Comment

Syndicate?

Comment

What's that deal mean?
                                                                                              you buy it for that price, then rent is binding for the next 7 years at 70 odd grand?
                                                                                              Presume that's depending on the Mgmt company finding a tenant right?
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

This guy has skewered the football nonsense beautifully. Worth a read (and a laugh).

Comment

Evening all. I have a sad tale to relate about ggpoker - some of the fault may be mine, I'm somewhat confused at this stage. I'll try not to keep you too long...

Firstly, some of you will know I am a long-time lurker here, don't post very much. As I am a "senior" type of guy, I don't understand much of what you young lads do be on about, eg them oul Nft's and such like! So I am maybe confused about modern technological methods. Anyway, this is in the nature of a serious complaint/moan and I'd be interested to hear what people here think. And so, again before I get into detail I must confess I'm one of the crappiest poker players ever - pretty shit live, but really appalling online. You will know the sorry tale going back to c 2005 - only playing drunk, at levels way way beyond my competence, the occasional lucky strike but always ending in abject failure and excluding myself from sites etc. Which is absolutely fine, I always had the money to indulge and while I didn't like losing it, there were no sour grapes...
                                                                                                  And so, during lock down I decided once again to donate my money to a group of fellow online players who I felt would really appreciate it! I duly rejoined ggpoker. We had a little discussion about previous accounts I had opened with them previously, but after some assiduous copying and posting of intimate and other personal details, I was cleared to once again join the merry throngs playing online on their site.

I stuck in 300 dollars in 2 separate deposits and I almost immediately struck lucky - a rare occurrence - over a few nights playing. I made a withdrawal request of 500 dollars back to my Visa, but nothing seemed to happen and so I soon pulled it back to my poker account and duly lost most of it. However I had a mini recovery and decided - definitely - to withdraw 150 dollars to my Visa. Nothing happened for a few days and so I decided to try and trace back through my gg account to see what happened. Well, it turned out my withdrawal had been sent from gg to my bank (AIB) who had rejected it because, my helpful phone-banking assistant said, gg had used a method - visa direct I think she said - to refund my money, which is not acceptable to AIB; and could I please ask ggpoker to use a different method to return monies to my VISA account. No one had told me about my 150 floating around in free space, anyway...

Well, sez I, I am sure I'm not the only Irish online player with ggpoker that uses VISA, so they (gg) must have other methods/networks/whatever to put monies back into accounts. So I texted their help/support people , explained what AIB had said, and asked could they have a look and sort things out. I would have assumed that a worldwide organisation like gg would be able to deal with a small issue like this...

I duly received a polite, if robotic/scripted reply saying they would ask their cashier section to look into things. In the meantime, my poker luck was holding and I had accumulated a further 900 dollars, of which 500 was required (by me) to go back to my visa. Are you detecting a sorry ending to this cos you'd be right. I had 500 dollars unused in my gg account - to be returned to my VISA- duly lost the other 400 - fair enough - and made a further withdrawal request for the 500 back to my VISA. At pretty much the same time as I did this request I got a longer, even more robotic/scripted note, written in a formal but bad version of English, telling me basically to fuck off and use a different deposit/withdrawal account. Of course my immediate response to this was to pull my 500 straight back into my poker account, and in a glorious but ultimately self-defeating blaze of glory, to donate that back to the poker world also.
                                                                                                  You'll guess from the passive/aggressive nature of all of the above, that I am fucking furious and feel really badly treated. It appears that I can put as much money as I like into my gg online poker account, just don't ever try and withdraw any of it.
                                                                                                  Sorry this is such a long post and I hope I don't come across as moaning (of course you do, sez the assembled masses!), but there seems to be some kind if bind in the above that doesn't make sense. I would have thought, if money could be deposited from a standard VISA card, it could just as easily be refunded to it...
                                                                                                  Maybe it's me, I dunno. But there's a total of 1, 150 dollars that might have resided in my VISA account that I ended up donking away cos I could find no way to release it. The money doesn't matter, but I feel as if I've been royally fucked over... By someone
                                                                                                  ​​​​​​.. GG? The bank? I dunno But I' m fuckin sorry I bothered me arse with the whole online thing once again. Ionapaul may be interested given his gg connection...
                                                                                                  ​​​ Apologies for any typos or discrepancies in the above, but you get my point. I think I have 10 dollars left in my gg account which will go you know where...

Comment

Now we know why ionapaul is checking out all those mansions in swanky suburbs of Dublin...

Comment

For crying out loud (most underrated song of his) Jim Steinman dead. Boo

Comment

This guy has skewered the football nonsense beautifully. Worth a read (and a laugh).
                                                                                                        That guy is good .

Comment

So the chairman of Glazer United has resigned. Abu Dhabi Sportswashing City have pulled out of the Super League as have Plaything of Murderous Russian Oligarch FC (London version). Fiat Corp FC also denying that their chairman has quit.

Quite the exciting day of football news tbf.

Comment

Don't think I've seen a project abandoned quite this fast for a long, long time.

No doubt CHD will be along later to extol the strategic brilliance on display by the ex-Super League clubs today.

Comment

Let's get behind the remaining super 2 .

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                  Let's get behind the remaining super 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm View Post
                                                                                                                    Evening all. I have a sad tale to relate about ggpoker - some of the fault may be mine, I'm somewhat confused at this stage. I'll try not to keep you too long...

Firstly, some of you will know I am a long-time lurker here, don't post very much. As I am a "senior" type of guy, I don't understand much of what you young lads do be on about, eg them oul Nft's and such like! So I am maybe confused about modern technological methods. Anyway, this is in the nature of a serious complaint/moan and I'd be interested to hear what people here think. And so, again before I get into detail I must confess I'm one of the crappiest poker players ever - pretty shit live, but really appalling online. You will know the sorry tale going back to c 2005 - only playing drunk, at levels way way beyond my competence, the occasional lucky strike but always ending in abject failure and excluding myself from sites etc. Which is absolutely fine, I always had the money to indulge and while I didn't like losing it, there were no sour grapes...
                                                                                                                    And so, during lock down I decided once again to donate my money to a group of fellow online players who I felt would really appreciate it! I duly rejoined ggpoker. We had a little discussion about previous accounts I had opened with them previously, but after some assiduous copying and posting of intimate and other personal details, I was cleared to once again join the merry throngs playing online on their site.

I stuck in 300 dollars in 2 separate deposits and I almost immediately struck lucky - a rare occurrence - over a few nights playing. I made a withdrawal request of 500 dollars back to my Visa, but nothing seemed to happen and so I soon pulled it back to my poker account and duly lost most of it. However I had a mini recovery and decided - definitely - to withdraw 150 dollars to my Visa. Nothing happened for a few days and so I decided to try and trace back through my gg account to see what happened. Well, it turned out my withdrawal had been sent from gg to my bank (AIB) who had rejected it because, my helpful phone-banking assistant said, gg had used a method - visa direct I think she said - to refund my money, which is not acceptable to AIB; and could I please ask ggpoker to use a different method to return monies to my VISA account. No one had told me about my 150 floating around in free space, anyway...

Well, sez I, I am sure I'm not the only Irish online player with ggpoker that uses VISA, so they (gg) must have other methods/networks/whatever to put monies back into accounts. So I texted their help/support people , explained what AIB had said, and asked could they have a look and sort things out. I would have assumed that a worldwide organisation like gg would be able to deal with a small issue like this...

I duly received a polite, if robotic/scripted reply saying they would ask their cashier section to look into things. In the meantime, my poker luck was holding and I had accumulated a further 900 dollars, of which 500 was required (by me) to go back to my visa. Are you detecting a sorry ending to this cos you'd be right. I had 500 dollars unused in my gg account - to be returned to my VISA- duly lost the other 400 - fair enough - and made a further withdrawal request for the 500 back to my VISA. At pretty much the same time as I did this request I got a longer, even more robotic/scripted note, written in a formal but bad version of English, telling me basically to fuck off and use a different deposit/withdrawal account. Of course my immediate response to this was to pull my 500 straight back into my poker account, and in a glorious but ultimately self-defeating blaze of glory, to donate that back to the poker world also.
                                                                                                                    You'll guess from the passive/aggressive nature of all of the above, that I am fucking furious and feel really badly treated. It appears that I can put as much money as I like into my gg online poker account, just don't ever try and withdraw any of it.
                                                                                                                    Sorry this is such a long post and I hope I don't come across as moaning (of course you do, sez the assembled masses!), but there seems to be some kind if bind in the above that doesn't make sense. I would have thought, if money could be deposited from a standard VISA card, it could just as easily be refunded to it...
                                                                                                                    Maybe it's me, I dunno. But there's a total of 1, 150 dollars that might have resided in my VISA account that I ended up donking away cos I could find no way to release it. The money doesn't matter, but I feel as if I've been royally fucked over... By someone
                                                                                                                    ​​​​​​.. GG? The bank? I dunno But I' m fuckin sorry I bothered me arse with the whole online thing once again. Ionapaul may be interested given his gg connection...
                                                                                                                    ​​​ Apologies for any typos or discrepancies in the above, but you get my point. I think I have 10 dollars left in my gg account which will go you know where...
                                                                                                                    AIB don't accept OCT (Original Credit Transactions) on their debit and credit cards... So case to answer there. But surely GG would have an alt withdrawal method?
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Spurs may stay in just to get the trophy.

Comment

Heh

Comment

Verdict in in the Chauvin trial. Not sure if 10 hours deliberating means anything more than the attention span of most people not being what it used to be.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X