This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Surely depends on how many kids one have. Makes it easier and quicker for all to get ready in the morning if one kid take forever in the bathroom.
    I have 3 and it's never a problem that having a third shower would make a difference to.
    Mind you one kid likes showering at midnight, another likes to jump in 5 mins before school starts and the third claims to be allergic to soap and water.

Sticking by my claim that it's fucking stupid and probably the No 1 thing wrong with modern society. Ronnie Drew, Winston Churchill or Ghandhi would not have stood for such nonsense.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Just looked at ionapaul's dream house again.

What is with the current fashion for turning the downstairs WC into a full-on bathroom (i.e. shower included)?

I don't get it, who the hell is ever going to shower downstairs unless you have an invalid in the gaff, in which case you shouldn't be living in a multi-story anyway! Our architect was mad keen to get us to do it as well - this on top of a 'normal' bathroom upstairs plus a shower in the master ensuite.

It comes form Part M of the building regs. House, including bathroom should be wheelchair accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It comes form Part M of the building regs. House, including bathroom should be wheelchair accessible.
        All private houses? Seems like that is unnecessarily prescriptive. It's definitely not being followed either.

(and I say this as someone whose better half works in the disability sector and constantly clucks at public amenities that are not wheelchair friendly)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          ionapaul, if you stake your mortgage money using the 'strategy' above, in 2 years you could be living here - https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-6/4491563
          * This does not constitute financial advice
          Is it just me ? But, the badly made beds in most of these house for sale pics, not just the above grinds my gears ! Whomever is taking the pics should spend a few hours in a hotel learning to make a bed properly. You are looking for 1.5mm ffs.
          This too shall pass.

Comment

I have 3 and it's never a problem that having a third shower would make a difference to.
            Mind you one kid likes showering at midnight, another likes to jump in 5 mins before school starts and the third claims to be allergic to soap and water.

Sticking by my claim that it's fucking stupid and probably the No 1 thing wrong with modern society. Ronnie Drew, Winston Churchill or Ghandhi would not have stood for such nonsense.
            Thus speaketh the man who has yet to experience the full force of the phenomenon of the teenage daughter

Never mind the number of showers put a timer on the ones you have IMO
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

All private houses? Seems like that is unnecessarily prescriptive. It's definitely not being followed either.

(and I say this as someone whose better half works in the disability sector and constantly clucks at public amenities that are not wheelchair friendly)
              The state picks up most of the tab for retrofitting homes to help people to live in them when elderly, seems reasonable to mandate some part of the work being prepared in advance. According to an OT I spoke to the average age of entry to nursing homes is significantly older for people living in bungalow's than those with stairs.

Comment

I released my third song today - https://open.spotify.com/track/1nfGo...a791c1b1ad4e48

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thus speaketh the man who has yet to experience the full force of the phenomenon of the teenage daughter

Never mind the number of showers put a timer on the ones you have IMO
                  Eldest is 14 and a half. I'm there dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    ... Very good mix of music here, original for sure and love the picture on spotify!... Curious why was there talking/ laughter at 1:12?...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I'd be reluctant to link a property I was interested in. I would imagine estate agents have access to all manner of analytics on these listings. Clicks could be seen interest which could keep the price firm.
                      For sure, for any property we're actually going to/are bidding on, I'm keeping private! It's only the ones we have ruled out that I'd share.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

My downstairs WC is coming on grand. Not wide enough for wheelchair access but will do until I get proper OT walk through for changes to the house.
                        Much thanks to balfejohn for the help and price. It also turns out that the fitter grew up beside the missus and her dad.
                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-04-21, 11:44.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have a kid who is properly ambidextrous; looks like I need to get her into tennis.This is pretty cool, wonder if it can be exploited as he gets older?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

... Very good mix of music here, original for sure and love the picture on spotify!... Curious why was there talking/ laughter at 1:12?...
                            I'll let HJ give you the official answer obviously but to me it sounds like you'd expect a jazz club/small misic venue to sound like and the way the laugh tails off and into the next piece of music adds an air of authenticity to it.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to HJ that this music isn't to my tastes at all but I've listened to all your tunes and best of luck with them.

Comment

Really like that one, my favourite of the 3! Cover art of all three are class too!
                              airport, lol

Comment

Almost emailed a customer telling them I'm just back from dick leave.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

Cheers! Dobby's answer underneath is pretty good. There are snippets of talking and laugher in most of the songs...all just part of the vibe!

Comment

I'm now the proud owner of:

- A plot of non-descript virtual land in The Sandbox on which somehow a game must be built
                                    - Loads of DOTs and ADAs and a few SANDs
                                    - Some Korean footballers possibly unknown to even their own mothers

I'm going to get me some Axies and then sit back and assess the risk weighting of my new portfolio.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I have a kid who is properly ambidextrous; looks like I need to get her into tennis.This is pretty cool, wonder if it can be exploited as he gets older?
                                      Also MULTI-sexual I see -is that a term? Anyway best wishes to she /he

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Also MULTI-sexual I see -is that a term? Anyway best wishes to she /he
                                        I meant the kid in the article.

But these days, who knows. We are all gender fluid now father.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          I hope you remembered to sign off with 'Kind Retards'

Comment

I e-mailed HR before asking them to try find some other candidates as the last two's testes were terrible.

Comment

Biden doesn't seem to be taking any shit from the Russians (unlike his predecessor).

Although, long-term, population trends + decarbonisation means Russia is fucked anyway. And Putin and his pals have already stolen everything that is worth stealing.

Comment

Biden doesn't seem to be taking any shit from the Russians (unlike his predecessor).

Although, long-term, population trends + decarbonisation means Russia is fucked anyway. And Putin and his pals have already stolen everything that is worth stealing.
                                                Russia is the only debt free major power in the world. Debt paid down by... emm... Putin, to stop them going through cycles of bankruptcy like Argentina. Its a weird way of fucking up a country. Russia has about as much chance of being fucked as Australia. Less even. Its full of every possible natural resource in a world with dwindling national resources. And no country has ever been wealthy and had a population trend problem.
                                                ​​​

Comment

And I'm not sure why we'd welcome any more nation bashing. Its always 90% driven by domestic morals, domestic power plays, and domestic budget arguments.
                                                  ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    And I'm not sure why we'd welcome any more nation bashing. Its always 90% driven by domestic morals, domestic power plays, and domestic budget arguments.
                                                    ​​​
                                                    Nation bashing is one of our oldest pleasures.

Go on, say something derogatory about the Nepalese. You'll feel good after.

Comment

Comment

I watched Sexy Beast last night. Ray Winstone, Kingsley Amis and Lovejoy in a fantastic mid-nineties crime film. Really excellent.

Edit: actually 2000
                                                        very good. added to the list.

Comment

Any recommendations for couches these days. Will need 2 but with small kids wont be spending a fortune for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            Any recommendations for couches these days. Will need 2 but with small kids wont be spending a fortune for a few years.
                                                            IKEA is your friend. Large selection to fit all budgets and tastes

Would happily recommend habitat, but I don't think they're in Dublin anymore.

Comment

What Shraaaap said.

Think 'hopefully indestructible but won't care when kids reduce it to matchwood'.

Comment

Probably my favourite so far too HJ. Was never quite sure where it was turning next and it always surprised me in a very satisfying way. Love the way the bass changes and the violin/brass interplay dances along so elegantly and the random human noises lift it up at just the right time into the transition. Excellent.

Are you considering a physical release perchance?

Comment

We got the classic Kivik a five years ago and it'll be going strong for another few decades. The long seat (guessing thats what chaisse longue means) is a genius move and would make you wonder what is wrong with the person who bought a sofa that doesn't have one of those. Maybe all regular sofas do have a chaisse longue built in, and I was just deprived growing up.

Comment

We got the classic Kivik a five years ago and it'll be going strong for another few decades. The long seat (guessing thats what chaisse longue means) is a genius move and would make you wonder what is wrong with the person who bought a sofa that doesn't have one of those. Maybe all regular sofas do have a chaisse longue built in, and I was just deprived growing up.
                                                                    We made the classic schoolboy error of buying a 'good sofa' a few years back. Think it lasted 10 months before the combination of insane dog plus kiddie wrestlemania killed it.

Comment

We have the perfect sofa for a gaff with toddlers.

A 17 year old one.

Wife wanted to get a nice new one a couple of years back but I talked her out of it.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

We made the classic schoolboy error of buying a 'good sofa' a few years back. Think it lasted 10 months before the combination of insane dog plus kiddie wrestlemania killed it.
                                                                        A good family sofa is capable of carrying 50% of its sofa-weight in baby-pee and not overspreading the odor.

Comment

We have the perfect sofa for a gaff with toddlers.

A 17 year old one.

Wife wanted to get a nice new one a couple of years back but I talked her out of it.
                                                                          Same at the moment. Got them when we bought this place. Wont fit front sitting room now due to a slight moving of walls to stick in Utility.

Mistake we made was getting a 4S and two 1s. All good exept we never thought to measure the 1s armchairs. They're fucking massive. So comfy though, I had the same perch for 10 years and nobody ever relly used the other one. Swapped them a few years ago was like getting a brand new chair. Free to a good home if required as going in skip soon.

Comment

I mentioned about buying the virtual land to the wife. I said the Winklevoss Twins are now involved - THE WINKLEVOSSES HONEY! WE FO'SHOR HIT THE BIG TIME NOW. She then cussed me out for only buying one plot of land and said we should probably buy a few plots as its either a great idea or a shit idea. And if its a shit idea we lose five grand that we considered free money anyway, but if its a great idea that 5k could be easily worth 50k.

Edit: Bought a second plot and will now take a break from buying for a month or two to see how prices settle down.
                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-04-21, 23:00.

Comment

We got the sofas cleaned for 80 quid. New daddy rule - food only at table please. No eating off board.... New rule lasted 4 hours and 20 minutes. A NEW WORLD RECORD. Tyvm

Comment

NBC segment on magic beans: https://twitter.com/0xdev0/status/13...114831360?s=20

Comment

Another film I really enjoyed recently: THE CAPTAIN

In select cities July 27, 2018Find a theater near you: http://gwi.io/o1rpuf #TheCaptainBased on an arresting true story, THE CAPTAIN follows a German army de...

Shot stunningly, I thought it was brilliant. Be warned it's pretty brutal.

SPOILER

I loved the moral ambiguity of it, I thought the way it made the viewer an accomplice in terrible acts was very clever.
                                                                                  Last edited by Hectorjelly; 16-04-21, 02:06.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Probably my favourite so far too HJ. Was never quite sure where it was turning next and it always surprised me in a very satisfying way. Love the way the bass changes and the violin/brass interplay dances along so elegantly and the random human noises lift it up at just the right time into the transition. Excellent.

Are you considering a physical release perchance?
                                                                                    Thanks, that's wonderful feedback.

I do plan a physical release at some stage, but I need to build up a few fans first! I'm currently midway through recording the 2nd EP. I'm really excited about this, I'm working with some amazing musicians and I've learnt a tonne. I also decided to lean into the crazier end of my songs.

I don't know if you ever heard the mix LCD Soundsystem did for nike, 45,33. I plan on doing something like that afterwards and releasing it physically.

Comment

Build regs can't apply retroactively. So existing public building with non-accessible facilities get a pass. But new builds should fully comply.
                                                                                      Regarding houses, it is also there to cover visitors to houses etc. So it includes things like having level access to the front door, sufficiently wide doorways etc. The default way to comply is to provide a certain minimum standard. But there's dispensation for small houses so they only need to provide a downstairs toilet not a full bathroom.

I understand the logic that it over-prescriptive for private dwellings, where the owners are fully mobile. But at some point it will be sold (plus most new house are built for market).
                                                                                      And if everyone built for their needs only, then there would be zero houses on the market for people with accessible needs.

Comment

KBC selling off its loan book to BOI but looks to be retaining retail banking (for how long? ). Non performing loans not part of the deal so I can only guess they'll be bundled off separately for vulture funds.

Loss of two lenders is pretty bad for the average punter's mortgage. I wonder how long will it take for a fintech to offer something in this space.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                          KBC selling off its loan book to BOI but looks to be retaining retail banking (for how long? ). Non performing loans not part of the deal so I can only guess they'll be bundled off separately for vulture funds.

Loss of two lenders is pretty bad for the average punter's mortgage. I wonder how long will it take for a fintech to offer something in this space.
                                                                                          To lose one retail bank seems careless, to lose two...

There's been talk of low cost disruptors to the mortgage market for ages but they never seem to gain traction. Fred was one iirc.

Think Avant Money seem to be cheapest right now.
                                                                                          1.95% fixed for 7 years. Should look into it myself, currently paying 2.75% SVR. Could be this morning's side hustle.

Comment

Kinda hilarious that she is talking about Defi stock markets, and the Coinbase listing on a traditional market, in the same breath.
                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

To lose one retail bank seems careless, to lose two...

There's been talk of low cost disruptors to the mortgage market for ages but they never seem to gain traction. Fred was one iirc.

Think Avant Money seem to be cheapest right now.
                                                                                              1.95% fixed for 7 years. Should look into it myself, currently paying 2.75% SVR. Could be this morning's side hustle.
                                                                                              KBC surely must think that in the absence of repossessions the risk/reward must be pretty bad for mortgages. The broker fella on the radio (Carl Deeter?) is always harping on about it killing the market and being the primary cause of high-interest rates.

I've used KBC for my current account for a few years for free fees and mobile payments. They've brought in pensions, loan applications, and investments as additional functionality to their mobile app over time. Fair enough, those three are at a low level and I wouldn't use their pension/investment products but they seemed to be very aggressive on their digital strategy as well as scooping up loads of ex PTSB and Ulster customers.

I wonder will they end up like Halifax and pull the pin completely? I loved the Halifax product back in the day, the first visa debit card in Ireland I believe, and free fees but there was a global financial meltdown. You know how that story finishes.

Comment

KBC surely must think that in the absence of repossessions the risk/reward must be pretty bad for mortgages. The broker fella on the radio (Carl Deeter?) is always harping on about it killing the market and being the primary cause of high-interest rates.
                                                                                                Definitely not the issue, we know that because Pearse McAuley Doherty our alternative minister for finance says its not any part of the problem. So there you are then

Comment

This SF voter database thing is fascinating and could blow up. I'd love to know if there's a web app or mobile app developed for it. Has anyone seen it or have a working knowledge of it?

Comment

KBC surely must think that in the absence of repossessions the risk/reward must be pretty bad for mortgages. The broker fella on the radio (Carl Deeter?) is always harping on about it killing the market and being the primary cause of high-interest rates..
                                                                                                    Don't think its had any notable effect. Its tiny numbers of homes affected, isn't it? Think its particularly high reserve requirements as the look-back window for Irish banks for determining their reserves includes the financial crisis. Once they get past that then rates should fall as reserves will fall massively. Like I think the reserves are adding something huge like 1% to mortgage rates. Its just more popular to claim its about evictions. Its vastly harder to repossess houses in e.g. France, and it has no effect on their rates.

Comment

How per chance did you happen across this?

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

This SF voter database thing is fascinating and could blow up. I'd love to know if there's a web app or mobile app developed for it. Has anyone seen it or have a working knowledge of it?
                                                                                                        I imagine all the major parties have something like this in action no?
                                                                                                        SF's social media game being heavily integrated would be the main difference.

The interesting question is who is funding it. Its sounds a little more complex than an access database on MLM*s office 97 install

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Fully signed up

Comment

Don't think its had any notable effect. Its tiny numbers of homes affected, isn't it? Think its particularly high reserve requirements as the look-back window for Irish banks for determining their reserves includes the financial crisis. Once they get past that then rates should fall as reserves will fall massively. Like I think the reserves are adding something huge like 1% to mortgage rates. Its just more popular to claim its about evictions. Its vastly harder to repossess houses in e.g. France, and it has no effect on their rates.
                                                                                                            Yep. "Irish banks must hold €50 of capital for every €1,000 of mortgage lending versus just €16 in Europe and the UK."
                                                                                                            We are also a small country, scale is therefore smaller, less competition in a quasi-monopoly, and the repossession thing is not attractive of course.

Comment

This is great in so many ways

Comment

The sorare fantasy football thing is great, for anyone sitting on the fence. I spent about a grand on players, which *should* be enough for those players to gain 250 points in real life fantasy football. 250 points gives you 0.2 eth or $30 in weekly prizes. So 3% return on investment every week, and then the player value itself keeps rising as the popularity rises. If you're thinking about it as an investment, it quickly starts to tick a lot of interesting boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Seems like a crazy high number of young people are shilling that. Like it seems like it's a pretty normal thing for popular people on twitter and other social media. Just seems mad.

Comment

didn't the sons end up blowing the whistle on him?
                                                                                                                    Ed Thorp pointed it out decades ago. The monthly reports had steady returns regardless of conditions, and claimed trades that never happened.

but no one was interested.

Comment

Were you searching for donkey videos again Solks?
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The sorare fantasy football thing is great, for anyone sitting on the fence. I spent about a grand on players, which *should* be enough for those players to gain 250 points in real life fantasy football. 250 points gives you 0.2 eth or $30 in weekly prizes. So 3% return on investment every week, and then the player value itself keeps rising as the popularity rises. If you're thinking about it as an investment, it quickly starts to tick a lot of interesting boxes.
                                                                                                                        TheJiggaman is this the same as that football index thing that blew up recently?
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X