This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    Can you send in the chimichuri and pesto recipes plz, they look great.
    Chimichuri is usually made with parsley but I subbed that out and stuck in the wild garlic.

I had 150g of wild garlic leaves (I didn't use the stalks as that's what I learnt to do but not sure if others do or not). Lash them into a blitzer with two good pinches of salt and a good lug of olive oil. Blitz it up until it's like a pesto (add more oil as/if you need it to get the right consistency). Once done, add in the following, all roughly chopped; 1 shallot, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 green jalapeno chillies and 1 red habanero chillie (If you can't get them, just lash in a few of whatever chillies you can get) Leave seeds in/take out to your own taste. Blitz it all up again. Take it out of the blitzer and add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, then season well with pepper and a bit more salt to your own taste.

For the pesto, I again had 150g of the wild garlic leaves. Into the blitzer along with 50g of parmesan, 50g of toasted pine nuts (done in a dry frying pan), 1 clove of garlic, zest of half a lemon plus a few squeezes of lemon juice and rapeseed oil. Again, add enough oil as you go to get it to the right consistency. Blitz it all up and then season to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
      I've become convinced over the months that there are lots more potholes on the roads of Dublin since the pandemic. Googling the issue there suggests a possible reason. For potholes to get fixed someone has to report them, with less people driving that is resulting in less reporting of potholes. Perhaps also the kind of person to report a pothole is a civic minded person who is staying at home and not driving anywhere at all really.
      You're not wrong! There is a lot of roads in shit condition at the minute. I think a lot of damage was done around the last really bad cold snap we got but there doesn't seem to be much going on to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
        You're not wrong! There is a lot of roads in shit condition at the minute. I think a lot of damage was done around the last really bad cold snap we got but there doesn't seem to be much going on to fix them.
        Contact a Healy Rae. Not even joking. They'd only be more than happy to bring it up in the Dail about how they fixed the Dublin roads

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Contact a Healy Rae. Not even joking. They'd only be more than happy to bring it up in the Dail about how they fixed the Dublin roads
          I'd rather drive through adult elephant sized potholes

Comment

What do you eat the chimichuri with?
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Everything!!!

Grilled meats/Steak etc

Comment

Anything you want. I had a bit with my scrambled eggs this morning but it's often served with grilled meats.

There will be steaks on the bbq on Thursday night and lashings of chimichuri.

Comment

Alma in Dublin does the most ridic brilliant steak with chimichurri for brunch. Way better than any French creamy sauce.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Good shout on the chimichurri. Must try make a gremolata with it too
                    airport, lol

Comment

I watched Sexy Beast last night. Ray Winstone, Kingsley Amis and Lovejoy in a fantastic mid-nineties crime film. Really excellent.

Edit: actually 2000
                      Last edited by Hectorjelly; 14-04-21, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                        Chimichuri is usually made with parsley but I subbed that out and stuck in the wild garlic.

I had 150g of wild garlic leaves (I didn't use the stalks as that's what I learnt to do but not sure if others do or not). Lash them into a blitzer with two good pinches of salt and a good lug of olive oil. Blitz it up until it's like a pesto (add more oil as/if you need it to get the right consistency). Once done, add in the following, all roughly chopped; 1 shallot, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 green jalapeno chillies and 1 red habanero chillie (If you can't get them, just lash in a few of whatever chillies you can get) Leave seeds in/take out to your own taste. Blitz it all up again. Take it out of the blitzer and add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, then season well with pepper and a bit more salt to your own taste.

For the pesto, I again had 150g of the wild garlic leaves. Into the blitzer along with 50g of parmesan, 50g of toasted pine nuts (done in a dry frying pan), 1 clove of garlic, zest of half a lemon plus a few squeezes of lemon juice and rapeseed oil. Again, add enough oil as you go to get it to the right consistency. Blitz it all up and then season to taste.
                        Thanks, do you think a pestle and mortar would be suitable instead of a blender. Will give it a go this week and see, would be nice with hummus and pitta/flat bread too I suspect, but I asked for it so I could pair it with a steak. Cheers

Comment

Cracking goose story, Coillcam. Vintage stuff.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

I remember those (though possibly not from Tesco), even as a kid you'd know that was at the lowest end of shitty food
                            Yeah, there was just real a taste and texture of fake meat off them. Stood out even next to kids diet of bland reformed meat in breadcrumbs.

Comment

Thanks, do you think a pestle and mortar would be suitable instead of a blender. Will give it a go this week and see, would be nice with hummus and pitta/flat bread too I suspect, but I asked for it so I could pair it with a steak. Cheers
                              Yeah, you can totally use a pestle and mortar, no problem with that

Comment

Pesto made with pestle and mortar >>>>> made with a blender
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I've always been a bit amused by the bullshit that goes with mortgage approval, the likes of everyone having to pretend that they never lost a couple of hundred on a bet as evidence that they are never going to develop a gambling problem and I thought the limit was being asked about money going into a savings account for a godchild. Then I heard something being taken as a matter of routine in a discussion with a couple of mortgage brokers and financial advisors today.
                                  A woman who has mortgage approval but is struggling to find a suitable house was concerned at how long it will take her to find a house as she is hoping to start a family soon but said that if she does she will lose her mortgage approval as her calculation will have changed. The financial advisors seemed to think this was perfectly normal!
                                  WTaF
                                  What sort of level of delusion are these gobshites in the banks working off? Do they really expect that young women are not ever going to start families once they have bought a home?
                                  Words fail me

Comment

Speaking of delusional moneygrabbing cunce

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.
                                      How long is a few years? I’d assume 3-4 years (10-15% yield).
                                      Is the borrowed 50% complete free to do with as you wish. There’s a somewhat obvious way to have the yield is so.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        I've always been a bit amused by the bullshit that goes with mortgage approval, the likes of everyone having to pretend that they never lost a couple of hundred on a bet as evidence that they are never going to develop a gambling problem and I thought the limit was being asked about money going into a savings account for a godchild. Then I heard something being taken as a matter of routine in a discussion with a couple of mortgage brokers and financial advisors today.
                                        A woman who has mortgage approval but is struggling to find a suitable house was concerned at how long it will take her to find a house as she is hoping to start a family soon but said that if she does she will lose her mortgage approval as her calculation will have changed. The financial advisors seemed to think this was perfectly normal!
                                        WTaF
                                        What sort of level of delusion are these gobshites in the banks working off? Do they really expect that young women are not ever going to start families once they have bought a home?
                                        Words fail me
                                        It's fcuking insane.

A couple can be pregnant with their first, be viewed as having no dependants and therefore granted a larger mortgage to the tune of an extra 1,200 a month(Not sure exact figure but heard from bankers/brokers it's over 4 figures).

Been like that for years. Surely >80% of couples that buy a home together plan on having kids.

Not sure what the alternative is but surely there is a reason for it and not an oversight.
                                        And not forgetting it does suit people who buy a home pre baby.

I'd actually love to know the thinking behind it

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          WTaF
                                          Words fail me
                                          Do you think that every young woman is going to start a family shortly after they buy a home? Because that just as removed from the reality of the situation tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            Do you think that every young woman is going to start a family shortly after they buy a home? Because that just as removed from the reality of the situation tbh.

I'd say the average age of couples buying homes now is early 30s or so. Large % plan to start a family soon after.

Comment

How long is a few years? I’d assume 3-4 years (10-15% yield).
                                              Is the borrowed 50% complete free to do with as you wish. There’s a somewhat obvious way to have the yield is so.
                                              It's variable The yield is 30% currently, but 10% is a more accurate estimate of what it will be in the long run. I You are free to do whatever you want with the loan, and you can pay it back yourself if you want the collateral back early.

Comment

Speaking of houses - we're somewhat interested in this place (location not ideal for us but we could work it given the other positives), I think many would agree it's a lovely looking and finished house if the photos tell the correct tale.

The asking is a bit punchy in terms of €/sq foot but that's just where the market is right now I suppose and might be a grin-and-bear it situation, sure we're getting more per sq foot ourselves on the other side. Just been informed the current offer is €875K on it, and that's with zero physical viewings! For a 150 sq m house, that's borderline insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                  A couple can be pregnant with their first, be viewed as having no dependants and therefore granted a larger mortgage to the tune of an extra 1,200 a month(Not sure exact figure but heard from bankers/brokers it's over 4 figures).
                                                  Of course an obviously pregnant women should be considered as having a dependent. That’s a insane line to take, statistically.

Been like that for years. Surely >80% of couples that buy a home together plan on having kids.
                                                  Probably about that. I’d assume that having an child after a few years is less of a burden than currently having a deal with those outgoings.
                                                  Ultimately, one is a potential change, the other a certainty.

I suppose that they could ask about “plans”. People could answer voluntarily. Obviously open to abuse.

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

I'd say the average age of couples buying homes now is early 30s or so. Large % plan to start a family soon after.
                                                  As above. Sooner or later is not now. Sometimes it’s months, sometimes years, or not at all.
                                                  Somebody with a dependent, has those outgoings for a 100% certainty. Somebody buying a house, may have them shortly, but they may not. As a whole, the outgoings if the latter are lower.

I’m not saying it’s right to treat childless couples as if they never have children. I’m saying it’s equally wrong to treat them exactly the same as a couple who currently have children.
                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 14-04-21, 11:39.

Comment

It's variable The yield is 30% currently, but 10% is a more accurate estimate of what it will be in the long run. I You are free to do whatever you want with the loan, and you can pay it back yourself if you want the collateral back early.
                                                    Interesting. 30% clears in 18months. 10% in 4-5years.
                                                    Let’s say for comparison sake, it’s 14.4% and takes 3 years.

Could you take the 50k, convert to stablecoin and deposit again. Collect 25k and deposit. Collect 12.5k, repeat to conclusion.

They should all clear in the same 3 years. By my calculations the yield jumps from 14.4 to almost 26%. Possible?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      Speaking of houses - we're somewhat interested in this place (location not ideal for us but we could work it given the other positives), I think many would agree it's a lovely looking and finished house if the photos tell the correct tale.

The asking is a bit punchy in terms of €/sq foot but that's just where the market is right now I suppose and might be a grin-and-bear it situation, sure we're getting more per sq foot ourselves on the other side. Just been informed the current offer is €875K on it, and that's with zero physical viewings! For a 150 sq m house, that's borderline insane.
                                                      It's lovely, that asking price is solid enough for the area. Dodder Park Road is sound out but be careful closer to the Dodder with flood risk being uninsurable.

The current "can only view once sale agreed" setup means that there are bids being thrown around that bear zero chance of being followed up on. Stay interested but stay sane - don't get caught up in the nonsense. https://propertypriceregisterireland.com will be very interesting in months to come (unfortunate 3 month lag). We spotted that 3/4 houses we bid on got sold at just above our final price, but some went for Moon Money. Also a couple have come back onto the market since (one twice, with a €110k uplift!).

Comment

Could you take the 50k, convert to stablecoin and deposit again. Collect 25k and deposit. Collect 12.5k, repeat to conclusion.

They should all clear in the same 3 years. By my calculations the yield jumps from 14.4 to almost 26%. Possible?
                                                        Yes, it would be quite convoluted but you could do that if you wanted. All these systems are permissionless. There are simpler ways to get similar yield though.

Comment

I was going to say, it looks like one of those dream 'no work required' houses which immediately whacks an extra 20% on.

You need to be looking at the 'falling down kip' market
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

900k for a three bed seems a bit steep. Can you whack a bedroom up top if needed later?

I'd check that back garden for summer evening sunlight.

Very close to the mean streets of Terenure too.

Comment

it's more Roughfarnham than Terenure truth be told.

Comment

Yes, it would be quite convoluted but you could do that if you wanted. All these systems are permissionless. There are simpler ways to get similar yield though.
                                                                I’d be interested in a simpler way to guarantee 25%+.
                                                                (Current 30% would come out 50%+).

Although, I’ve staked a coins that yielding 15-20%. But price as tripled in 4 months.

Comment

ionapaul, if you stake your mortgage money using the 'strategy' above, in 2 years you could be living here - https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-6/4491563
                                                                  * This does not constitute financial advice

Comment

Monorail?

Any links to crypto investment information that you might be willing to share(for dummies)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I was going to say, it looks like one of those dream 'no work required' houses which immediately whacks an extra 20% on.

You need to be looking at the 'falling down kip' market
                                                                      I think a good 10% of the current bid is based on the - again admittedly excellent - staging of the photos. The nighttime ones are a great idea and no doubt have excited minds with thoughts of evening entertaining out in the garden! Most of the houses we're looking at are not too far off walk-in condition but none are anything like the price/sq ft of that bid... Maybe that location is much more attractive than I thought, having lived fairly nearby on a few different occasions.

We've bid on a few houses at this point, are still in the running for one or two, and I've followed a few other bidding processes recently, this is the first one that has blown my mind.

Comment

Lovely finish to be fair, good job on the garden too, can see why it would appeal, actually €600/sqft is about right territory.
                                                                        Last edited by Goodluck2me; 14-04-21, 14:03. Reason: Numbers muddled

Comment

Bernie Madoff gone... 82

Comment

I’d be interested in a simpler way to guarantee 25%+.
                                                                            (Current 30% would come out 50%+).

Although, I’ve staked a coins that yielding 15-20%. But price as tripled in 4 months.
                                                                            Hectorjelly Very interesting, where would be good to read more

Comment

Hectorjelly Very interesting, where would be good to read more
                                                                              Good primer here: https://www.coindesk.com/defi-yield-...oken-explained

This guy does good tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2YW_enZcE

I haven't watched this video, but I found his in-depth tutorials very good.

If you want to zoom out a bit and understand why the yields are so high, this video is excellent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6MQsjOS0I

The host is a former poker player

Comment

Bernie Madoff gone... 82
                                                                                didn't the sons end up blowing the whistle on him?

Comment

didn't the sons end up blowing the whistle on him?
                                                                                  Can’t remember how it initially unfolded, I’d say he’d have written a hell of an autobiography.

Comment

Apparently he never apologised or acknowledged his crimes

Comment

Just looked at ionapaul's dream house again.

What is with the current fashion for turning the downstairs WC into a full-on bathroom (i.e. shower included)?

I don't get it, who the hell is ever going to shower downstairs unless you have an invalid in the gaff, in which case you shouldn't be living in a multi-story anyway! Our architect was mad keen to get us to do it as well - this on top of a 'normal' bathroom upstairs plus a shower in the master ensuite.

Comment

no side entrance either ionap! deduct marks

Comment

What is with the current fashion for turning the downstairs WC into a full-on bathroom (i.e. shower included)?

I don't get it, who the hell is ever going to shower downstairs unless you have an invalid in the gaff, in which case you shouldn't be living in a multi-story anyway! Our architect was mad keen to get us to do it as well - this on top of a 'normal' bathroom upstairs plus a shower in the master ensuite.
                                                                                          I've read previously that bathrooms are one of the few rooms in the house that upgrading will affect the value of the home, kitchen's being another. How correct that is I don't know.
                                                                                          I do find it mad when you start having more bathrooms than other rooms though. I'd rather have the space that 3rd/4th/5th bathroom is taking up.

Comment

Was gonna say this earlier too. Have seen some redic versions (i.e. hall into sitting room and then downstairs bathroom)

Comment

Downstairs bathroom in my old house was a wet room. Shower never used once in 10 years. Was occasionally handy when kids had accidents or were puking.
                                                                                              Last edited by horatio1; 14-04-21, 17:23.

Comment

First time cooking swordfish today. Hugely successful.
                                                                                                Recipe here https://www.themediterraneandish.com...rdfish-recipe/

Went with the mixed bean salad with red pepper and cucumber to accompany it.
                                                                                                PM Lazare for pics.

Comment

Ha, now just want to be clear this house was only one we were half interested in, I only found about about the bidding as I inquired as to the possibility of a physical viewing, would not have bid without that. There's feck all out there so trying to view most places that tick 75%+ of our wants and needs. Still fairly certain we'll end up in Sandyford, Stepaside, Dundrum area in a 'no need to move again' sized house, for me that's 150 sq m and bigger, with an attic conversion or the possibility of one at least. Actually viewing three houses this week, which is good going considering it's not really allowed!

Comment

Ha, now just want to be clear this house was only one we were half interested in, I only found about about the bidding as I inquired as to the possibility of a physical viewing, would not have bid without that. There's feck all out there so trying to view most places that tick 75%+ of our wants and needs. Still fairly certain we'll end up in Sandyford, Stepaside, Dundrum area in a 'no need to move again' sized house, for me that's 150 sq m and bigger, with an attic conversion or the possibility of one at least. Actually viewing three houses this week, which is good going considering it's not really allowed!
                                                                                                    150 sq/m seems pretty limiting when looking for Dublin houses (especially when you consider attics generally aren't included). Only a fairly small % of houses would be greater than that? Especially ones built last century...

Comment

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

150 sq/m seems pretty limiting when looking for Dublin houses (especially when you consider attics generally aren't included). Only a fairly small % of houses would be greater than that? Especially ones built last century...
                                                                                                        If we end up in an estate we're looking at in Stepaside the houses are 180 pre attic, 205+ when the attic is done. But we also are trying to bear in mind our current place is 92 sq m and the house I grew up in in Galway is a very roomy 160, so I've no doubt that 150 or even slightly less would be enough. Just want to find somewhere that we won't need to move on from in the future if possible.

There are only four of us, three in one room until the baby is 12 months old, and this number will not be increasing, so I'm laughing thinking back to my childhood in this nice 4-bed detached house in Galway, that saw many years with 7 people living in it! Not to mention the squeeze that my father must have lived with growing up in Valentia Island in the 50s/60s, parents and eight children in a pretty small three-bed house. And he'll swear blind those were wonderful days.

Comment

<200 covid patients in hospital.

Can't remember the last time that was the case. November maybe?

Comment

<200 covid patients in hospital.

Can't remember the last time that was the case. November maybe?
                                                                                                            Until yesterday, 16th December was the last time there was less than 200 in hospital.

Comment

I'd be reluctant to link a property I was interested in. I would imagine estate agents have access to all manner of analytics on these listings. Clicks could be seen interest which could keep the price firm.

Looking at a half acre site in near Athenry subject to planning for 45k. Young lad 18 now and should suffice for local housing need argument.
                                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hitch getting spam mentioned by Eoin McGee on insta.
                                                                                                                how did the radio piece go?
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                  Hitch getting spam mentioned by Eoin McGee on insta.
                                                                                                                  how did the radio piece go?
                                                                                                                  Not Hitch

Comment

Brother and his wife are both vets, they have a shower room on way into house and washing machine etc beside so keeps rest of house clean. He also has a small office beside it, so all their post and documents go there and nowhere else, keeps clutter to a minimum.
                                                                                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Surely depends on how many kids one have. Makes it easier and quicker for all to get ready in the morning if one kid take forever in the bathroom.
                                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

First sea swim of the year today.

And by swim, I mean, jumping into the Irish sea, shrieking like a little girl, struggling to catch my breath due to the icy cold nature of the water, flapping about for around 60 seconds and then getting out.

It felt fucking great!

Comment

Apparently he never apologised or acknowledged his crimes
                                                                                                                          That sounds unusual for a conman, I presume most try to repent and reinvent like the wolf of Wall Street.

Would have made the autobiography all the more interesting if it wasn’t tainted by fake remorse.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X