This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Frozen kebab meat from Lidl for lunch. They've really captured a specific market.
    Jaysus, that sounds rank. What's the actual meat content?

Now I'm not saying I haven't eaten worse after a feed of pints but to buy/eat this sober just sounds wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

What was this about?
      Videos going around of a large convey of caravans setting up shop in Pfizer grange castle car park
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        Tesco used to sell frozen donner kebabs. Literally just a pitta filled with spiced reformed meat and nothing else. Plus a few sachets of hot sauce in the bottom of the box for those of us in Ireland not allergic to chilli.

Turned into a hot mess in the microwave. But I’ve made worse food.
        I remember those (though possibly not from Tesco), even as a kid you'd know that was at the lowest end of shitty food

Comment

Well I mainly look at behaviour rather than pure finance, and there's interesting behaviour associated with NFTs, while defi is fundamental extremely boring.
          There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.

Comment

Anyone want to buy some magic beans?
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

When John Teeling was teaching commerce in UCD in the '80's he used to tell his students that if they were ever stuck for cash all they had to do was put an advert in the Sunday Press offering 1% more on deposits than the pillar banks, with no more than a few deft words and a PO box you would have the price of a new car before the week was out. Many tried, none failed to collect and a few even paid the money back with the premium.

Comment

Actually now that I think of it there was a lad I knew back then who IIRC would have been on that course. maybe dropped out after first year, who went on to set up a very famous investment business along those lines

Comment

Is it true that Hitch queried why the DCU Business department tweets don’t mention him?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

There's a new defi protocol that caused quite a stir when some traditional finance people heard about it. You deposit 100k of stablecoin into it. You can then borrow 50k against this to do whatever you want with. In the background the protocol generates yield with your collateral, and the yield pays back the loan. You don't have to pay a penny In a few years the loan is paid off, and you can take out the 100k. This is many things, but boring isn't one of them.
                    1OfksMT.png

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

AstraZeneca banned for under 60s. ffs. Had to be done, those risks were too much, but still. I would have thought maybe 40, or 50 would be a better age point to allow a balance of risks vs rewards.
                      This to me sounds like a total over-reaction. It's a few people per million who develop complications i believe. Now i'm not sure of the level of seriousness of these complications (i presume they must be significant) but realistically there is going to be some level of adverse side affects to every drug that is administered.

Not long ago they banned AZ for over 60s

Comment

It was already restricted in a few other countries for under 60's too I thought, must be similar reasoning.

Comment

UK seem to have made a better risk v reward calculation. We should be setting it somewhere between 35 - 45

This will cost more lives than it saves. Vaccine rollout is going to be setback by c. two months pushing out things like gigs and indoor eating to the autumn based on the rationale we are using now but the political pressure will be too much.

Comment

A good haul of wild garlic. Wild Garlic pesto and chimichuri incoming.

SPOILER

Comment

Frozen kebab meat from Lidl for lunch. They've really captured a specific market.
                              I was in lidl today for first time in ages (used to manage one fado fado fado fado)

They really have gone down the processed food route!

Good selection of veg, nuts and par cooked breads,
                              (...apart from the steaks looking ok) fuck all meat and wall to wall processed shite
                              Don't seem to bother with low sugar drinks and a shite cider selection and all

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                For Strewel and those that liked this post - this is an open-source protocol where (if you learnt a little bit of solidity) you can read the code. The protocol works, and there's nothing particularly unusual about it, it's really a combination of elements of the DEFI ecosystem. All of it on-chain and auditable - there's currently over a billion dollars locked in it.

Comment

Comment

I don't understand how you can want to invest in something like Cardano whilst only doing the briefest amount of surface-level research.

Comment

Sound on

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I don't understand how you can want to invest in something like Cardano whilst only doing the briefest amount of surface-level research.
                                        Whats wrong with cardano? In general markets are pretty decent at filtering out good ideas from bad, so its not just randomly the 6th largest ranked crypto.

Comment

Simon Coveney deleted a 10 year old tweet after it appeared on Reeling in the years yesterday. I don't see the point of it myself but find it strangely amusing for some reason.

Comment

The wild garlic chimichuri. Lovely bit of heat to it without being too spicy.

SPOILER

The wild garlic pesto. I'm not going to lie, it's very garlicy!!

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                              Simon Coveney deleted a 10 year old tweet after it appeared on Reeling in the years yesterday. I don't see the point of it myself but find it strangely amusing for some reason.
                                              No he didn't.

He clearly deletes all old tweets, as he only has 12,700 tweets on his account at the moment. So whatever was deleted was caught up in a past cleaning out. Precisely as people will go back and point at old tweets. Everyone should delete their old tweets.

Comment

For Strewel and those that liked this post - this is an open-source protocol where (if you learnt a little bit of solidity) you can read the code. The protocol works, and there's nothing particularly unusual about it, it's really a combination of elements of the DEFI ecosystem. All of it on-chain and auditable - there's currently over a billion dollars locked in it.

Is every single cent of yours locked up in this? Why not?

Serious question.

Comment

No he didn't.

He clearly deletes all old tweets, as he only has 12,700 tweets on his account at the moment. So whatever was deleted was caught up in a past cleaning out. Precisely as people will go back and point at old tweets. Everyone should delete their old tweets.
                                                  I dunno. This lad has been 100% accurate with everything he has reported on so far

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I dunno. This lad has been 100% accurate with everything he has reported on so far

I know. Gav is *always* spot on, he's excellent. And I'm frequently wrong. I think I'll pick gav's side on this one. There's just a small chance gav doesn't realise how account cleaning works.

Comment

Whats wrong with cardano? In general markets are pretty decent at filtering out good ideas from bad, so its not just randomly the 6th largest ranked crypto.
                                                      That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Is every single cent of yours locked up in this? Why not?

Serious question.
                                                        Because it's more a novelty than a useful protocol - there are many more attractive ways to deploy capital in crypto. The idea is cool though, a loan that pay itself off. (Note that it's a overcollateralized loan. You are effectively just taking the interest in advance.)

Comment

That's quite a statement. This is a year in which markets bought Hertz when it was bankrupt and propelled Gamestop to the moon! Whatever about normal markets, crypto markets do not operate efficiently.

Cardano has no working product and is competing with Ethereum, which enjoys gigantic network effects and is actually working. The chance of any smart contract overtaking ETH is slim, but there are many pretenders to the crown. Binance smart chain, Solana, Polkadot, Cardano. Of those Cardano has the least chance. I don't think there's a zero chance it wins the smart contract wars, but it's a massive underdog currently.

Not having a working product is in some ways a boon, because you can promise anything. The head developer Charles Hoskinson is quite a figure of fun in the crypto space.
                                                          I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.

Comment

Plus, if it becomes clear that someone else is pulling ahead from my usage of NFT markets, then I can just pull the money out. I'm not just buying and forgetting. I have the side advantage of being involved in these markets so should be able to feel the underlying trends. Maybe. Thats the idea anyway. But probably you feel the same way about defi.

Comment

I think they operate quite efficiently.

Eth smart contracts is broken, and it can't realistically be fixed even by Eth 2.0. So whatever ethereum becomes it won't be a regular smart contract player as it just doesn't have capacity in any reasonable formulation. So I'm essentially looking out for an alternative.

I'm reasonably happy the main alternative is between cardano and polkadot and that cardano is ahead. The market also agrees.
                                                              I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c

Comment

I'd love to know how you came to these conclusions!

Also, whatever amount you were planning on buying of Cardano, let's have a wager for that amount, on it overtaking ETH in market cap. I'm sure a man with your illustrious gambling career can propose something suitable in terms of odds and dates.

Edit - also the mark cuban episode of uponly is worth a watch, he's a big proponent of NFT's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ54n8_WS7c
                                                                I don't think that! I think there's space for the current market size of $32bn, or whatever it is, to grow, thats it - as in, if they are first to the market with decent smart contacts, as it looks like they might be if August update goes to plan, then could traders push them up to a 100bn value - seems like they could. Can't imagine it would ever overtake ETH. I'm not sure though on any of this, and thats why I'm only playing around for now - trying out a few different things to get a feel for the market. Probably with a decent likelihood of losing everything.

Comment

No he didn't.

I saw someone retweet it shortly after show was aired
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

NNNGH is the next smart contract crypto to blow up , white paper is amazing. You can stake it interest free for 15% commission on the GEE network or park it in a delegation pool for a year then take it out after getting 50% of GASH rewards so a bit of a no brainier. Has a good team and I read and article where VISA were mentioned so only way is up

Comment

Brits absolutely disgracing themselves yet again with the maudlin cap doffing orgy in the wake of Phils death.

really looking forward to the vaccine propaganda win wearing off and watching the get reamed by the consequences of brexit.

Comment

The world's largest rabbit has been kidnapped.

. Impressively large tbf
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Went for a walk along Skerries beach yesterday and it was fkn bliss. Proper fresh air, bitta scenery, got to see my family for the first time since Christmas. Thank fuck lockdown is nearly done.
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I tried to change channel on the TV with my mobile phone earlier, so I have sympathy for that whole taser/gun misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                              I tried to change channel on the TV with my mobile phone earlier, so I have sympathy for that whole taser/gun misunderstanding.
                                                                              Does a taser resemble a gun? Like, is it a reasonable mistake to make if you unholster one instead of the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Does a taser resemble a gun? Like, is it a reasonable mistake to make if you unholster one instead of the other.
                                                                                Pics of the equipment here.
                                                                                The police say the officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright intended to fire a Taser. The weapon looks different from a gun, and officers are trained not to confuse the two. But tragic errors occur anyway.

The design seems to be too similar, with a fist grip and a trigger.
                                                                                But even so

Comment

I see the US have now stopped Johnson and Johnson for the same reason as AZ. It seems like those national medicine agencies were actually doing some good after all. This is going to be a disaster for any summer plans.

Comment

Pics of the equipment here.
                                                                                    The police say the officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright intended to fire a Taser. The weapon looks different from a gun, and officers are trained not to confuse the two. But tragic errors occur anyway.

The design seems to be too similar, with a fist grip and a trigger.
                                                                                    But even so
                                                                                    Seems like you should know what the hell you're pulling out based on this:

Tasers are often produced in bright colors, or with neon accents, to distinguish them from pistols. The Brooklyn Center Police Department manual cites the Glock 17, 19 and 26 as standard-issue for the department. All three pistol models weigh significantly more than a typical Taser. Glocks also have a trigger safety that can be felt when touching the trigger. Tasers do not. Grips on Tasers are typically different from those of firearms, as well, though they may feel similar because both are usually made of a similar type of polymer.

“If you train enough, you should be able to tell,” said Scott A. DeFoe, a retired sergeant with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Comment

Panicked and reverted to the lowest part of her training I guess ie draw weapon and protect yourself.

Comment

I see the US have now stopped Johnson and Johnson for the same reason as AZ. It seems like those national medicine agencies were actually doing some good after all. This is going to be a disaster for any summer plans.
                                                                                        Now you know what to do with your AIB dosh Hitch. RNA based vaccines. NDQ - BNTX, NSY - PFE, NDQ -MRNA. Get in before 'second wave'.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Slithered back North yesterday for my first dose, Pfizer with zero ill effects to add to sample size. Dose 2 date 21st June. Flu/bad hangover symptoms for 48 hours reported by 4 out of 8 people I know who have who have got their 2nd already,
                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I've become convinced over the months that there are lots more potholes on the roads of Dublin since the pandemic. Googling the issue there suggests a possible reason. For potholes to get fixed someone has to report them, with less people driving that is resulting in less reporting of potholes. Perhaps also the kind of person to report a pothole is a civic minded person who is staying at home and not driving anywhere at all really.

Comment

I wonder if there are racist cops out there who have tasered a black man harmless instead of shooting him dead for Jay walking and are presently cursing their luck they pulled put the wrong weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                I've become convinced over the months that there are lots more potholes on the roads of Dublin since the pandemic. Googling the issue there suggests a possible reason. For potholes to get fixed someone has to report them, with less people driving that is resulting in less reporting of potholes. Perhaps also the kind of person to report a pothole is a civic minded person who is staying at home and not driving anywhere at all really.
                                                                                                Drawing dicks around them is best way to get them fixed

Comment

So what was my son doing before the double decker bus hit him?

Drawing dicks around potholes mam. He died a hero

Comment

Or "A self portrait of [insert town planners name] mothers hole."

Comment

Actually now that I think of it there was a lad I knew back then who IIRC would have been on that course. maybe dropped out after first year, who went on to set up a very famous investment business along those lines

Yikes, didn't know the more famous brother was also a grifter https://archive.ph/20130203050439/ht...x.php?aid=7922

Any insider story there GAB or anyone?
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Yikes, didn't know the more famous brother was also a grifter https://archive.ph/20130203050439/ht...x.php?aid=7922

Any insider story there GAB or anyone?
                                                                                                        Yeah that was nasty, would have been too small an amount for him to bother getting Mammy to bail him out, again

Comment

Went down a rabbit hole of fraudster articles whilst googling Breiffne just now.

Here's an interesting woman just bailed by the High Court a few weeks ago whilst on the run from the UK authorities.

Quite the wiki page she has to her name.

Be careful out there.

Comment

Can you send in the chimichuri and pesto recipes plz, they look great.

Comment

Last assignment submitted and the most enjoyable topic I studied this year. The Scientific Revolution. 1st year of college done and dusted. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type after dropping out of school at 16 but here we are.

Shout out to Hitch for giving advice throughout the year. Shows the value of this place again where I can just pop a message off and get a wealth of knowledge.

Burgers and beer time.

Comment

sweet, the year's done?! feckin layabout students

Comment

Went down a rabbit hole of fraudster articles whilst googling Breiffne just now.

Here's an interesting woman just bailed by the High Court a few weeks ago whilst on the run from the UK authorities.

Be careful out there.
                                                                                                                  Wow, she's a piece of work.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Be careful out there.

Think we've found our kidnapper!

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                      Slithered back North yesterday for my first dose, Pfizer with zero ill effects to add to sample size. Dose 2 date 21st June. Flu/bad hangover symptoms for 48 hours reported by 4 out of 8 people I know who have who have got their 2nd already,
                                                                                                                      Going in tomorrow for my first one. 2nd one booked for end of June. Feels like a long time coming but happy the day is finally here.

Comment

That's your answer to everything!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

The clear answer here is to keep a handful of free-range geese that are prone to the odd ramble. Years back we had a few geese (wings not clipped) and they were prone to two things:

- Smacking people with their wings when you met their disapproval. It's very sore, believe me.
                                                                                                                          - Flying away for a few hours or days as they saw fit.

A few hundred metres down the road from my home place was a fairly epic crater in the middle of the road. It was full to the brim of rainwater and who decided to start bathing themselves there? Only our lovely geese of course. This probably happened lots of times without us know but on one day in particular the local paper's photographer happened upon this scene and snapped away contently. I don't know if he got close enough to get a belt of their wings but he definitely would have remembered it.

All of this was unbeknownst to us of course. That is until the local newspaper gave them a spot on the front page. County council arrived within days and said pothole was repaired.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X