This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Comical as it was, it was surely the complete opposite of surrender monkeying.
    "We need 18 points and the clock is red, but we're not going to let that stop us - Lets give it a lash" is a nonsensical bit of bravado but there's an uncharacteristic fight to the death element in there.
    still a brain fart of epic proportions. how do you not have the wherewithal to figure out the situation in that spot? i'd turned away from the TV when we turned the ball over as i thought that was it, only to look back and see penalty for Scotland. What a stupid fucking moron. he'll never live that one down lol

Comment

worst thing about all this is i have a very close friend who is Scottish, and who is the tightest fucker you've ever met. He NEVER takes bets with me anymore, because he's lost a good few, and mainly because he hates parting with his money for anything. Anyway, during the wales game last week, i managed to goad him into taking a bet for yesterday (this is for peanuts mind you), but still, managing to get him to accept it was a big deal. i'll never hear the end of it now

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

still a brain fart of epic proportions. how do you not have the wherewithal to figure out the situation in that spot? i'd turned away from the TV when we turned the ball over as i thought that was it, only to look back and see penalty for Scotland. What a stupid fucking moron. he'll never live that one down lol
        The only equivalent I can think of would be being 13 points up and fouling the black ball in snooker, giving your opponent 7 points and they then knock it in ftw.

Tremendous entertainment all the same.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

In not giving it was he making a mistake or following the rules, he was very clear talking to the TMO, 'if its not touched down we are going under the sticks' and afaik that implies a YC
          Certainly in other sports you can allow play to continue and then hand out cards once complete.

I remember once engaging in what can only be described as 'dicking about' with the ball just outside my own 25 in hockey when the sneaky forward I hadn't even realised was there robbed the ball off me and hurtled towards goal. I attempted a filthy sliding tackle which almost but not quite sent him to hospital and he escaped to round our keeper and stick the ball in the goal as I was lying there watching in horror.
          Then as my entire team, bench and supporters were roaring abuse at me, the umpire fished into his pocket and dealt me a yellow, sending me to the bin.

My plea for mitigation of 'have I not suffered enough?' didn't earn a reprieve.

Comment

Definitely worth waiting for I think...

Luka Scannell (17) is a young knife maker, crafting handmade custom knives from a shipping container at the family home in Colla, Schull, West Cork and then selling them via instagram to professional chefs and amateur cooks. Video: Bryan O'Brien
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

There's a Brazilian central defender who still plays in the first team for Montpellier in Ligue 1 at aged 43 and a half called Hilton.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                There's a Brazilian central defender who still plays in the first team for Montpellier in Ligue 1 at aged 43 and a half called Hilton.
                Theres a Japanese striker who still plays in the first team for Yokohama FC in J1 League at the age of 54 called Kazu.

Comment

.......and three people have absconded from hotel quarantine in Dublin
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                    .......and three people have absconded from hotel quarantine in Dublin
                    e gobshite whinging about the size of the rooms she had her mother on radio yesterday bleating that they should make an exception for her

Ridiculous scheme, hopefully will have one good outcome of making everyone who wanted to extend it to everyone entering the country realise how dumb they are.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Definitely worth waiting for I think...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...22533?mode=amp
                      Maybe if he wasn't spending so much time sculpting his hair he'd be a bit more productive with the knives

Comment

Maybe if he wasn't spending so much time sculpting his hair he'd be a bit more productive with the knives
                        More English cunce in Schull than Irish cunce. Ian Bailey would be happy to have a talented son like that cunce.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

More English cunce in Schull than Irish cunce. Ian Bailey would be happy to have a talented son like that cunce.
                          Was surprised to hear his accent myself.

Comment

They're a thing of beauty though don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

West Cork = West Brits
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

West Cork = West Brits
                                He's an east Brit.

Comment

My daughter's an East yank.

Had her in the car last week on the way back from the dentist. Thought there was an accident at the canal bridge.

'should we call 911' she said

Comment

My daughter's an East yank.

Had her in the car last week on the way back from the dentist. Thought there was an accident at the canal bridge.

'should we call 911' she said
                                    She'll be reaching out to people next.

Whenever anyone tells me to 'reach out', I always have to suppress a wild desire to tell them to go fuck themselves.
                                    Possibly the worst corporate corruption of the English language to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Whenever anyone tells me to 'reach out', I always have to suppress a wild desire to tell them to go fuck themselves.
                                      Touch base is up there too.

Had a new Logistics manager start one time when I was van driving full time. He was a corporate monkey, is the best way to describe him.

Anyway, because I used to like getting in early to beat the traffic into city centre with the bonus of finishing early, I rarely met him so he rings me about a week in and says I'm just ringing to touch base and have a chat about the way I'd like to do things moving forward

It was the first time I've ever started laughing directly at a manager. He didn't see what was so funny so I explained that I'm a lowly van driver, breakfast rolls and garage tea. No need for the corporate mumbo jumbo. Amazingly he never used the phrase in conversation with me again lol.

Comment

They're a thing of beauty though don't you think?
                                        They look good, I'm sure it will be a lovely object to have and hopefully it will fit and work well, there is no way I'd buy an expensive one without trying it out. I'm really fussy about the knives I use for cooking the ones I like best were reasonably cheap and current no 2 favourite was €15 in Ikea.

Comment

Just posting to let Dom know the roast chicken is just about done. Will let it rest for 20 mins.

Having with salad, so an early dinner, not putting roasties on or anything.

Comment

They've killed Kenny.

Comment

They look good, I'm sure it will be a lovely object to have and hopefully it will fit and work well, there is no way I'd buy an expensive one without trying it out. I'm really fussy about the knives I use for cooking the ones I like best were reasonably cheap and current no 2 favourite was €15 in Ikea.
                                              Dobby tagged me in a tweet from that lad Gaz from Michael's who had gotten one and was raving about it. So the utility aspect of them comes well reviewed.

Cheers dobby BTW.

Comment

All these Americanisms. 'Link in' is another one although not half as bad as reach out. I was back and forth with this one in work telling her over email no need to email me at all about this and that begob. She drops in and I see her in person. I got hit with the thunderbolt. I found myself saying maybe you should link in with me next time. ffs self loathing knows no bounds.

Comment

Dobby tagged me in a tweet from that lad Gaz from Michael's who had gotten one and was raving about it. So the utility aspect of them comes well reviewed.

Cheers dobby BTW.
                                                  Ah cool. Had forgotten about that actually. He seems pretty busy and has his leaving cert which must be shite to be doing during covid but I'd say it will be class when it's done. His Instagram looks fantastic.

Comment

We lost to Luxembourg?

Feels like we should just give up on the idea of playing soccer as a nation. Stick to sports we can actually play.

Comment

That is Rock Bottom right there

Comment

Kenny looks like somebody shagged his wife and kept shagging after he caught them at it. Feel terrible for him. Must be very painful having to do interviews after that.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                          That is Rock Bottom right there
                                                          Years of grassroots neglect. No proper structures to foster talent. You are seeing the cost of Delaney's FAI right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Years of grassroots neglect. No proper structures to foster talent. You are seeing the cost of Delaney's FAI right there.
                                                            But aren't we just stuck on overinflated expectations left over from the Charlton years?

We're genuinely bad at soccer, tonight just proves it. Not like Irish players are household names in the PL or anything.

Comment

Luxembourg have been doing well recently, I had a little look at their odds earlier with temptation. I have never heard of half of that Irish team.

As a Spurs fan I also know that it's very difficult to win a match with Matt Doherty in the team.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                Kenny looks like somebody shagged his wife and kept shagging after he caught them at it. Feel terrible for him. Must be very painful having to do interviews after that.
                                                                Fuck him he’s getting well paid. Woeful dross yo watch good luck selling out the Aviva with this bunch. The players are clearly not up to standard but this is embarrassing.

Comment

But aren't we just stuck on overinflated expectations left over from the Charlton years?

We're genuinely bad at soccer, tonight just proves it. Not like Irish players are household names in the PL or anything.
                                                                  The Eurovision Principle.
                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You'll never beat the Irish.

Luxembourg: Hold my pint.

Ireland are shit since Jack Charlton died.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1690998&d=1616887358&type=thumb
                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        In what is possibly, but maybe not, the BBVs first academic study, I wrote a study on NFTs. The idea for which was exclusively based on BBV discussion.
                                                                        Nice ! I'd have hat-tipped to bitcoin in the intro tho - first network to get to 1 Trillion value faster than any other (beating Apple, Google, Facebook .....)
                                                                        Last edited by paul8200; 28-03-21, 00:31.

Comment

I've been watching a series called Bored to Death for the last week or two. From 2009-2011. Finding it to be such a low-key glorious show. Nothing much really happens, but its written so nicely. Ted Danson is even likeable in it.

Comment

Never mind that Luxembourg nonsense my beloved Hereford FC turned over Woking
                                                                            in the FA Trophy semi final today.
                                                                            Wembley here we come :-) :-o

Get cracking on those vaccines Donnelly,
                                                                            I've got essential journey to make.

Comment

That NFT thing just makes me go every time. And I work with some pretty advanced technologies and technologists.

Maybe I'm just OLD but literally the only word that makes sense to me is 'blockchain'.

Decentraland is one of a new generation of virtual world, popularly referred to as metaverses, built on the blockchain. To become a citizen, all you need is to buy LAND, a coded piece of the metaverse that translates to a 16m by 16m plot of virtual
                                                                              land

Comment

I discovered that French Guiana in South America is officially part of the EU and uses the Euro as it's now fully part of France. You can go and work there. They have gold.

Comment

That NFT thing just makes me go every time. And I work with some pretty advanced technologies and technologists.

Maybe I'm just OLD but literally the only word that makes sense to me is 'blockchain'.
                                                                                  I can personally see some obvious value prospects in things like LAND. Its like a blank store in a shopping centre. If people turn up to the virtual world and walk around and go into businesses and spend money, and the way of having a piece of that pie is to own LAND and build the business of your choice on it, then there's as much a value prospect there as there is for owning a store in Dundrum shopping centre. Now the big issue and the big risk is that its far less certain that people will actually turn up and part with their hard-earned cash. But as a core business idea, I'm thinking a piece of that land for $4,000 could end up being the bargain of the century.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I can personally see some obvious value prospects in things like LAND. Its like a blank store in a shopping centre. If people turn up to the virtual world and walk around and go into businesses and spend money, and the way of having a piece of that pie is to own LAND and build the business of your choice on it, then there's as much a value prospect there as there is for owning a store in Dundrum shopping centre. Now the big issue and the big risk is that its far less certain that people will actually turn up and part with their hard-earned cash. But as a core business idea, I'm thinking a piece of that land for $4,000 could end up being the bargain of the century.
                                                                                    You mean build a virtual business selling virtual goods, paid for with real money?

And the only utility to the buyer is whatever pleasure they derive from ownership of said virtual goods?

I guess I can kinda see it. I own paintings, I own some Venetian glass - I can look at them and derive pleasure from that. Why should it not be the same with virtual art...

Comment

Proximity isn't the osmosis you hoped for haha. That's a great idea to make money actually, we will probably see more of it in games like that.

edit: Oh there was more posts since the initial, virtual items are HUGE business for years now, some can go for hundreds of thousands, or rarely - millions. NFT's have brought it to the next level.
                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 28-03-21, 11:22.

Comment

Comment

I discovered that French Guiana in South America is officially part of the EU and uses the Euro as it's now fully part of France. You can go and work there. They have gold.
                                                                                          Aren't there quite a few French bits of their former empire scattered about and still part of metropolitan France? There's quite a few UK ones too.

Martinique is definitely one.

Then places like Pitcairn and the Falklands on the UK side. I read a good book about these outposts a few years back.

Comment

You mean build a virtual business selling virtual goods, paid for with real money?

And the only utility to the buyer is whatever pleasure they derive from ownership of said virtual goods?

I guess I can kinda see it. I own paintings, I own some Venetian glass - I can look at them and derive pleasure from that. Why should it not be the same with virtual art...
                                                                                            Except that the exact NFT item someone paid bazillions for I also have for free at no cost, all the buyer has is a token saying he owns an individual copy of the item.

Can anyone point me to me examples of someone reselling an NFT that initially cost €5M + for a profit?

Comment

I can't get my head around it at all.

Imagine you buy your original piece of Venetian glass but everyone else in the world can have it too, an identical replica, for free.

Other than the potential to sell on to someone else, I just can't see why somebody would pay $2m + for Jack Dorsey's first tweet, when I can just pull it up on my phone.

It all seems a little ridiculous.

Comment

One cool thing I noticed about NFT's is that you seem to be able to build in royalties, so that when things get resold you get a cut again.

Comment

Speaking of overseas territories, who dares to speak of the Chagossians?

Comment

I can't get my head around it at all.

Imagine you buy your original piece of Venetian glass but everyone else in the world can have it too, an identical replica, for free.

Other than the potential to sell on to someone else, I just can't see why somebody would pay $2m + for Jack Dorsey's first tweet, when I can just pull it up on my phone.

It all seems a little ridiculous.
                                                                                                    That's why the game one should make more sense to people, being a unique thing. Since NFT's don't actually usually contain anything that you own really, it's very odd. Like getting some music, video clips most often doesn't come with commercial rights to use them. They may in the future and that would make sense.

Comment

Except that the exact NFT item someone paid bazillions for I also have for free at no cost, all the buyer has is a token saying he owns an individual copy of the item.

Can anyone point me to me examples of someone reselling an NFT that initially cost €5M + for a profit?
                                                                                                      Right. Is it the equivalent of buying real art and then immediately putting it on display in a free gallery that is open 24/7/365 forever?

Comment

The original NFTs
                                                                                                        * https://www.highlandtitles.com/
                                                                                                        * https://www.buyastar.ie/
                                                                                                        * https://www.moonestates.com/

Comment

Medical guy on Brendan O'Connor saying the closure of hair salons is leading to mental health issues, particularly among women obv.

When did we become such pussies?

20 minutes earlier, I was in the shower thinking what a luxury it is to have an abundance of hot water to languish in.

Why do people put these pressures on themselves? I guess it's hard to escape the 'perfect is attainable' barrage from all types of media.

I wish more people, particularly the younger smartphone 24/7 generation, were less image conscious.

Teaching resilience is a real challenge.

Comment

Speaking of overseas territories, who dares to speak of the Chagossians?
                                                                                                            That's interesting. Re your Outposts book, I fondly remember reading Lost White Tribes about anachronistic remnants of groups of white settlers such as descendants of defeated Confederates who moved to Brazil.

Comment

There's a good explainer on NFT's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpXCUEOcyNs

Comment

I could be out of date here, but I think there has been only 2 NFT sales for over 5 million

Comment

That's interesting. Re your Outposts book, I fondly remember reading Lost White Tribes about anachronistic remnants of groups of white settlers such as descendants of defeated Confederates who moved to Brazil.
                                                                                                                  There's lost tribes everywhere.

The Welsh Patagonians. The Lebanese Paraguayans. Jews pretty much everywhere.

Comment

There's lost tribes everywhere.

The Welsh Patagonians. The Lebanese Paraguayans. Jews pretty much everywhere.
                                                                                                                    Germans in Mendoza

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Germans in Mendoza
                                                                                                                      Fairly recent diaspora, are they?

Comment

Alabama Shakes drummer Steve Johnson was arrested on child abuse charges on Wednesday in Limestone County, Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                          late to this convo about houses ionapaul and Hitchhiker's Guide To... - you guys really need to broaden your horizons. 700k or so in The Gallops. Hop in the car and pop out to mine some evening and see the potential of what you can get for that or less on the doorstep of the M50. Given the choice between where I am at 700k or The Gallops at 350k I wouldn't need more than 2 seconds to work it out. At the same price there'd be no time wasted on thinking. I understand there are items like schools, transport and so on. But there's more to it.
                                                                                                                          To paraphrase some other dude:

I'm always happy to visit the countryside but I'm always delighted to leave

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X