This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
    Actually whats the turn around on a test result?
    Had mine back in about 19 hours.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think I once went to Leiden because you spoke so highly of it! Or maybe twice.

Some experience for an Irish student compared to continuing in the same university you did your undergrad in. And for a fifth of the price. The masters in Maastricht is this beautifully scandie blend of financial data science coding and sustainable finance. €2,250 total cost. Rent a lovely one-bed apartment for a few hundred maybe. Cross the bridge from Maastricht to Belgium when you're running low on Belgian beers.
      Hope you liked it. Nothing like walking along the canals in the mist with those scenic lamps until you come across a place that is doing a gin&tonic night. The accommodation in NL for students is great over there too, top quality and it flies up. The builders actually live on the site while it is being built. When we secured one it was still a building site and fully done by the time we got there. Was just €550 in the centre of amsterdam incl bills, and had great soundpoofing, walk in shower etc. I managed to pay for my exes masters and for her to live there and myself in Dublin and I was just a grad.
      In Leiden even the one or two homeless seemed well off, strange place, really had a magical time whenever I stayed.
      Einstein taught there, and a reel of famous people went there Descartes, Rembrandt, Spinoza, Huygens etc, the university itself is very cool, there is a room where everybody who graduates writes their name on the wall.

2011-11-04-11-57-31.jpg?w=640.jpg
      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-21, 12:06.

Comment

Had a great big Australian misunderstanding just there. Meant to be giving a talk in a Melbourne uni on Friday at their time 10:30am. Had set the reminder for midnight tomorrow and was going to prepare the presentation tomorrow. Only double-checked this morning whether ye guys are ahead rather than behind. Would have been an embarrassing enough email to wake up to tomorrow morning.
        on man, that would have been funny.
        Can confirm, you have <12 hours. GL

Comment

I had it in my head that many countries, including US, wouldn't accept a passport that was expiring within 6 months but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just wary that mines expiring just around when travel opens and there's no sign of the passport office opening.
          https://www.dfa.ie/passports/questio...erseas-travel/

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

There's no way this isn't baked into the selling price (maybe not the asking price).

Certainly when we started looking, probably autumn 2018 before buying spring 2019 we would quite frequently see two houses on the same road.
            Being Clontarf and a pretty settled area, the houses might be 40/50 years old.
            If one was refurbed and the other was not, the asking prices might have been 750k vs 700k but the selling prices typically ended up being 900k vs 715k.

We bid on quite a few refurbed places and, without exception, they were commanding a big premium and going for chunky six-figure sums above asking.
            This.

The last place we called to enquire about yesterday had just gone sale agreed but was still up on the website as open to offers. Anyway the selling price was 75K above the asking price and the estate agent said "nobody wants a place that needs work, these houses that have been renovated are in massive demand' so, the cat appears to be well and truly out of the sack on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              I had it in my head that many countries, including US, wouldn't accept a passport that was expiring within 6 months but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just wary that mines expiring just around when travel opens and there's no sign of the passport office opening.
              I'd put in your application now, get it in the queue. Mine has been there for a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I'd put in your application now, get it in the queue. Mine has been there for a month.
                Can you not just re-apply through the app/web portal any more? When I did this a couple of years back I had my new shiny passport to hand in less than a week.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Can you not just re-apply through the app/web portal any more? When I did this a couple of years back I had my new shiny passport to hand in less than a week.
                  In general you can (I applied online too), but they are not processing them atm as the staff are not allowed to access our details at home. Emergency passports are still being made by a lad in the office. I remember when I needed my first passport they got it to me the same day when I went into the office, a smile and being nice goes a long way.
                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-21, 12:28.

Comment

...Currently at the beginning of the housing malarkey myself (well joint looking)... A mate of mine has gone sale agreed in Clondalkin recently- Original asking price was €230,000, and he went sale agreed for €282,000, so 22% above asking price!... The maddest part of it all is they went sale agreed on the house, then viewed it for the 1st time!... I know they could still back out of the sale if not liking it, but after going through the bidding war, the ups and downs to finally getting the house, there is such an emotional attachment to the property that when you go to view it for the 1st time you'd be almost ignoring any warning signs or negatives- you'd be exaggerating the good parts of the house just to convince yourself you were right to pay 22% above asking price...

...We seen a house in January for €375,000 that we both loved- well I really liked it, she loved it so that's enough...Had only begun to apply for mortgage so didn't hold much hope of it being there... Spoke to the broker this week and said we should have mortgage approval this week/next week, but if we want to start bidding he will send a letter to estate agent to say we'd have the funds etc... Checked Daft.ie and property still for sale, so excitement... Emailed the estate agent and quickly got a mail to say the property is sale agreed- excitement diminished... I asked why its was still up on daft.ie, and what was the agreed price etc... She said its now policy to leave it up for sale until after contracts are signed in case it falls through- which means i could be looking at 12 properties and 75% of them already sale agreed... Also said the sale agreed price was in excess of €425,000, so just over 13% above asking price...

...It's shite A. How expensive properties still are ( this was a 3 bed S.D in Kilnamanagh) B. Can't view most properties until after sale agreed, C. Properties are being left for sale even when they have been agreed, and D. Herself is stubborn and adamant staying in Dublin close to family and shite...

...D, B, C, A in that order for levels of annoyingness..

Comment

oh Delft is picture-postcard gorgeous.
                      King Billy was from Delft, beautiful place, but from memory, a bit dull

Engineering college... was like 90% male when I was in town, all the wimens were in the business college in Leiden

May have changed since... twas a fear long time ago

Comment

In general you can (I applied online too), but they are not processing them atm as the staff are not allowed to access our details at home. Emergency passports are still being made by a lad in the office. I remember when I needed my first passport they got it to me the same day when I went into the office, a smile and being nice goes a long way.
                        this sounds like an arrant BS excuse of the highest order

the teachers in our primary school had this as one of their main reasons for doing no work in the first lockdown too
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Yep. Mine there since January 17th. I question a little bit why they can't go into the office and process passports tbh.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Looks like only a millie vaccines arriving on our shores in April, so we'll be lucky to breach 35% having first dose by the end of April. That still allows May and June to cover the remaining planned 45% of first doses up to 80%, but its going to be tight enough, depending on how they balance first and second doses.

Edit, although based on CSO population pyramids, that should be everyone 60+ vaccinated and all high risk people, by the end of April. So thats not too bad.
                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-03-21, 12:59.

Comment

If 5% of the population had it then wouldn't you only need to know of the status of 20 people to expect to know someone who has it?

I have no idea how many people on average we would know the status of in respect of it but surely it's of such a magnitude greater than 20 that everyone should know someone who has it?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                If 5% of the population had it then wouldn't you only need to know of the status of 20 people to expect to know someone who has it?
                                Well, no - it's not linear. If you live an area with low incidence (Leitrim for example), are more middle class (lower incidence) and work remotely (professionals). Your chances are more like 100/1+.

Whereas if you live in the worst affected part of Dublin and have a job that involves dealing with the public...maybe more like a 5/1 shot.

So maybe it's 'know of someone who had it' rather than 'know someone', in the grand Irish tradition of concentric social circles which means you can usually establish a connection to someone you just met within 60 seconds of conversation.

Comment

Yep. Mine there since January 17th. I question a little bit why they can't go into the office and process passports tbh.
                                  Apparently they are doing a handful of passports a day randomly to keep the machines in use, so take solace that we are in some kind of lottery.
                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-21, 13:10.

Comment

Apparently there are doing a handful of passports a day randomly to keep the machines in use, so take solace that we are in some kind of lottery.
                                    presumably the number of applications has collapsed anyway...must check our passports...dumdiddydumm...

Ah yes, child #1 has elapsed. Should probably whack in an application so, even though we don't plan on going anywhere until Halloween.

Comment

I know 8 people that have had it (that have told me) so far. Two from work, guy from my football, my brother, friend that works giving tours, 3 from my dance class (so covid was all around me but my superior vegan immune system took care of it).

Comment

We should name a psychological flaw in honor of hotspur. Its what he would have wanted. We can call it the hotspur leiden fallacy.

10% of Europe goes mountain walking at least twice a year, but hotspur lives in leiden and doesn't know anyone who climbs mountains.

Comment

I hear if you know 23 people there is about a 50 percent chance that two people have the same birthday strain of covid.
                                          They call this the Hotspur Established Leiden Paradox.

Comment

A lot of countries do have a limit, but I think it’s 3 months typically.

Comment

hotspur is going to rain some bad karma down on yo' asses, I'm having no part of this.

Comment

Wow this is news to me. My (sometimes bellend of a) brother emigrated to New Zealand and has been there 2 years. He's got a kiwi bird, solid job and life all sorted. 6 months in a house together and now a de facto common law spouse so he qualifies for residency on a partnership/marriage visa. So he let his passport expire last year while in middle of the residency application and applied online for the renewal. It arrived in my gaff 3 days later and I DHL'd it to him. Luckily it arrived another 3 days later and in time for him to meet the deadline for his case. Obviously he got approved but he is one lucky git.

Comment

Fwiw I was well aware of that when I was writing it and was going to say something uncharitable about country people and whether they counted in my analysis. But the problem is last week I took a precept to try not to speak (or write) critically for a year. It's going to be very hard.

I liked RDIII's "weirdly flat" observation on Holland and imagined him in a Lao Lao offer negotiation stand off. "Have you accepted the position yet Raoul?" "No, the ball is still in their court about the country being weirdly flat!"

Comment

I liked RDIII's "weirdly flat" observation on Holland and imagined him in a Lao Lao offer negotiation stand off. "Have you accepted the position yet Raoul?" "No, the ball is still in their court about the country being weirdly flat!"
                                                    if they resolve that one in my favour, I would then still have a final condition that they stop saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence

Comment

Wow this is news to me. My (sometimes bellend of a) brother emigrated to New Zealand and has been there 2 years. He's got a kiwi bird, solid job and life all sorted. 6 months in a house together and now a de facto common law spouse so he qualifies for residency on a partnership/marriage visa. So he let his passport expire last year while in middle of the residency application and applied online for the renewal. It arrived in my gaff 3 days later and I DHL'd it to him. Luckily it arrived another 3 days later and in time for him to meet the deadline for his case. Obviously he got approved but he is one lucky git.
                                                      It's such a classically Irish brother thing to feel a need to qualify that they are a bit of a bellend even if thats irrelevant to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

if they resolve that one in my favour, I would then still have a final condition that they stop saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence
                                                        All looking disturbingly similar once you leave Amsterdam is another thing they need to sort out, if they are accepting requests for improvement.

Comment

I know that Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Iran insist on it and I thought it was the ame for all the sort of paces I end up getting visas for, also afaik we insist on it here for incoming short stay visas. I'm fairly sure that the US did require 6 month before expiry it at one time.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Fwiw I was well aware of that when I was writing it and was going to say something uncharitable about country people and whether they counted in my analysis. But the problem is last week I took a precept to try not to speak (or write) critically for a year. It's going to be very hard.

You place to many restrictions on yourself in the name of discipline. There is a time and a place for discipline . When one has a penchant for the art of critique (such as yourself) and you abandon this , you are depriving the masses
                                                            of the comparison with the bullheaded corny from the hip merchants like myself and the considered approach of a calm intellectual. In short, wtf, call those culchie out ya monk bollix.

Comment

Been churning "do upper" houses over 20 years with a group of buddies who are a mix of
                                                              either "here's some money" or "I have skills".

We stick to 3+ bed houses in established areas
                                                              close to centres of work or education
                                                              and even through the recent downturn
                                                              it's been a never miss investment.

Occasionally we'd rent one out for a while
                                                              before selling but that's been very rare.

The premium paid for ready made walk-ins
                                                              is real so long as the decor isn't too trendy.

Comment

Speaking of decor being 'too trendy', what would you think of this? Not to my taste at all, we were offered a viewing on this previously but declined for a few reasons, mainly location - but to my mind that interior is a bit off-putting to most buyers I imagine!

Comment

Some of you may remember the recent story of my brothers brush with a headerball who was tricked into a lift that turned into an odyssey drive to Ballymun and back etc. Well he contacted me last night to say he was leaving the Lidl carpark at 21.15 and the same guy was there(no high viz this time) flagging him down on his exit from the carpark!. He locked his door and put his foot down and on passing copped yer mans perplexed look as to why he should drive by him!.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                    Speaking of decor being 'too trendy', what would you think of this? Not to my taste at all, we were offered a viewing on this previously but declined for a few reasons, mainly location - but to my mind that interior is a bit off-putting to most buyers I imagine!
                                                                    Looks like another elastic definition there; 'Nutgrove' magically becoming 'Churchtown'!

Comment

It's such a classically Irish brother thing to feel a need to qualify that they are a bit of a bellend even if thats irrelevant to the story.
                                                                      Ah it is though. He's been giving me grief and unnecessary work his whole life but if I ask for a hand? Isn't that what brothers are for?

Comment

Need some BBV help please!

If you have booked anything recently, an appointment, tee time, restaurant or whatever online would you be able to tell me the name of the business so I can view their booking process/system?

The reason I ask is I am looking to get a list of as many booking systems as possible, as I need to approach them about integrations for my app.

As an extra ask, if you can think of any business you've ever used that uses Acuity or Squarespace as their booking system, thats a added bonus as my app works super well with those and is already integrated.

In order for Acuity or SP to promote me as an official partner integration I need to get at least 10 acuity users on board, I have 5. I need as many more as possible.

If any BBV readers can think of any businesses that you've booked online, or ay businesses that use acuity or squarespace I would MASSIVELY appreciate it.

Here is an example of the squarespace/acuity UI to see if it jogs a memory.

Clients can quickly view your real-time availability and self-book their own appointments—and even pay online, reschedule with a click, and eliminate 100% of the drudgery. (Official term.)

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

If you have booked anything recently, an appointment, tee time, restaurant or whatever online would you be able to tell me the name of the business so I can view their booking process/system?

The reason I ask is I am looking to get a list of as many booking systems as possible, as I need to approach them about integrations for my app.

As an extra ask, if you can think of any business you've ever used that uses Acuity or Squarespace as their booking system, thats a added bonus as my app works super well with those and is already integrated.

In order for Acuity or SP to promote me as an official partner integration I need to get at least 10 acuity users on board, I have 5. I need as many more as possible.

If any BBV readers can think of any businesses that you've booked online, or ay businesses that use acuity or squarespace I would MASSIVELY appreciate it.

Clients can quickly view your real-time availability and self-book their own appointments—and even pay online, reschedule with a click, and eliminate 100% of the drudgery. (Official term.)

Can't think of anything off the top of my head besides BRS for golf tee times.

Comment

The person or persons who own that are Gowls of the highest order...imo. Soz hotspur for the negativity.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Can't think of anything off the top of my head besides BRS for golf tee times.
                                                                              ... feckin Golf Now. It's perfect for Golf Now but I'm waaaaaaaaaay too small fry for them at the moment. I do have some tee sheet softwares signed up though. Appreciate the though, if anything jumps out at you over the next few days, keep my post in mind.
                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This house could easily be made nice, a lot better than some of the hopeless ones. That decoration is just poor taste imo but there is a lot to work with.

Comment

This house could easily be made nice, a lot better than some of the hopeless ones. That decoration is just poor taste imo but there is a lot to work with.
                                                                                  Reminded me of Sinead O'Connor's Bray gaff, especially the blue walls and ceiling. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...icklow/4467683

Comment

Re property flipping

Random story but a childhood friend of my mothers ran away as a teenager from home after a parent died and her sibling committed suicide. My mother tracked her down a couple of years ago by recognizing her son somehow, after not seeing her for 50 years. She had apparently run to London, and eventually ended up working flipping real estate there and becoming a millionaire from it, and then marrying somebody with Saudi level wealth, that works for the Royals. When my mother contacted her she had no idea but she said she would visit London to see her, was fairly shocked to turn up at a mansion in the middle of London with more cars than you can count and rather lavish gifts haha.
                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-21, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Reminded me of Sinead O'Connor's Bray gaff, especially the blue walls and ceiling. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...icklow/4467683
                                                                                      Burn it with fire.

Comment

Off their head, far too specific a taste for a sale.

Comment

Ah it is though. He's been giving me grief and unnecessary work his whole life but if I ask for a hand? Isn't that what brothers are for?
                                                                                          Absolutely. I feel in other countries kids in the same family grow up a bit more uniformly, whereas in Ireland our families tend to be a lot more variable and therefore with much more opportunity to be bellends.

Comment

Bookatable for restaurants, expedia for holidays, clubv1 for golf. Not sure if that's what you're looking for but those are the ones I use regularly.

Comment

Ha! You'd hate my living room so. Very similar to that. All black bar the ceiling, although we've decided to do that soon.

I hated the idea at first when my wife suggested it but I loved it the instant we did it.

Paintings and bits with bright colours just pop off it.
                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

There's a small little Indian takeaway local to me that has the best online ordering experience I've ever had.

Pure Indian they're called.

Comment

Anyone who turns a house down because of how the walls are painted needs a good slappin though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                    Anyone who turns a house down because of how the walls are painted needs a good slappin though.
                                                                                                    My only real worry with the more extreme ones, is that they may also have had creative solutions to the electrical and plumbing situation. Pure bias based on nothing though.

Comment

My physio has a very good system that works from his calendar to show me the times he's free. Not sure what plug in he's using.

Comment

That's something one of my daughters might have come up with, when she was 12 years old.
                                                                                                        I'm shocked that the picture of the wardrobe only shows a single piece of leopard print clothing

Comment

Lad still hasn't contacted me about my knife. I've been in touch a couple of times to gently enquire.

Ordered it at the end of Nov.

How long do you think I should leave it before telling him to stick it up his bollix?

Or is 4 months (so far) acceptable for something hand crafted?

Comment

Sounds like he took on too many orders at once, it's not his main job:

Unfortunately the waiting list has grown to a point where we can no longer estimate how long it will take for someone to receive their knife. The list will be reopened as soon as we have cleared the backlog.

Comment

Ah cheers Tar, hadn't seen that.

I'll hang on, be mad to cancel sure I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

How long do you think I should leave it before telling him to stick it up his bollix?
                                                                                                                About minus 2 months.

Comment

Always figured the transaction costs would be too high for that in Ireland. Nice.

Comment

There used to be a drop box in Leinster House for anyone pally with TDs/staff for getting same day passports.

Comment

You're the closest thing to a financial advisor I've got. Acquiring margin as I type.
                                                                                                                      I currently can't invest as my passport ran out, can't get a new passport as they are not processing passports and don't want to buy right now as per all the chat today and possible wanting to move to London in a few years anyway. Hopefully by the time I get my passport the market will have crashed and I can lump vwce.
                                                                                                                      Just get this

Comment

Yeah, his main job is order fulfillment manager with AstraZeneca.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

About minus 2 months.
                                                                                                                          By that metric Ooni should have shoved my pizza oven up their hole back in January.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X