Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty interesting and the ship doesnt look like moving any time soon given the last tweet on the thread.

Wonder if its affecting LaoLao any bit?

Comment

This is the world the Trump enablers have created, WP Denny, you did this

Sidney Powell is defending herself against a billion-dollar defamation lawsuit by arguing that “no reasonable person” could have mistaken her wild claims about election fraud last November as statements of fact.
      In a motion to dismiss a complaint by the large US-based voting machine company Dominion, lawyers for Sidney Powell argued that elaborate conspiracies she laid out on television and radio last November while simultaneously suing to overturn election results in four states constituted legally protected first amendment speech.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact,” argued lawyers for Powell
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        This is the world the Trump enablers have created, WP Denny, you did this
        https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-fraud-claims
        So her defence is essentially "nobody should take me seriously, I say crazy stuff all the time!". It does look like a version of an insanity plea.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

So her defence is essentially "nobody should take me seriously, I say crazy stuff all the time!". It does look like a version of an insanity plea.
          Standard female fare though right lads bitches be...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Someone sent me the link but it goes against your statement against the brit foul play. Just wondering if it were bullshit etc . You seen more informed than me on this . I love bashing the brits
            Well I'm not really more informed than anyone else. But I'm not seeing what in that link goes against the fundamental idea that the EU is exporting to UK but the UK is not exporting to EU? Thats the issue. Astra has EU and UK plants. The UK plants are forbidden from exporting to EU. The EU plant is sending to both EU and UK.

You can criticise the EU on this a bit - that they unreasonably relied on fair play when dealing with brit scummers, but we'd all like to see fair play.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Isn't it pretty common for US prosecutors to charge someone with 'Serious Charge X' but for the case ultimately to be settled at the level of 'Less Serious Charge Y'? Basically, the defendant cops to the lesser charge, the prosecutor gets a win and the case is efficiently dealt with.

Or have I been reading legal thrillers wrong all these years.
              My reading of the US system is also based on legal thrillers, but with a postgrad in denny crane boston legal, so maybe that gives me a slight edge. I think in the US you can't charge someone for both manslaughter and murder at the same time, as either one or the other has to apply, so theres a logical impossibility that someone can be guilty of both - and yet thats what the charge says. So the prosecutor has to make a choice. They do stuff the charge sheet though with loads of other charges though, as its fundamentally a shitty system.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                ...the US you can't charge someone for both manslaughter and murder at the same time, as either one or the other has to apply, so theres a logical impossibility that someone can be guilty of both - and yet thats what the charge says. So the prosecutor has to make a choice. They do stuff the charge sheet though with loads of other charges though, as its fundamentally a shitty system.
                You can’t be guilty of both manslaughter and murder for the one act because they are mutually exclusive. But that’s doesn’t mean that you can’t be charge with both, (alternative charge, or lessor included offence) on the basis that you aren’t guilty of both.
                In the rubbish chute case above, he was charged with murder, which was downgraded on appeal. He wasn’t charged with both. Not sure where you got the idea that can’t happen in the US. It’s common for people in the US to be charged both murder and manslaughter. An obvious example is the George Floyd killer, who was charged with murder 2 and manslaughter.

Plus people get off on a single murder charges with various lessor homicide charges all the time.

In murder cases, however, where a convicted defendant may face capital punishment, the United States Supreme Court has held that the court must instruct the jury that they may find the defendant guilty of a lesser included offense such as voluntary manslaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  You can’t be guilty of both manslaughter and murder for the one act because they are mutually exclusive. But that’s doesn’t mean that you can’t be charge with both, (alternative charge, or lessor included offence) on the basis that you aren’t guilty of both.
                  In the rubbish chute case above, he was charged with murder, which was downgraded on appeal. He wasn’t charged with both. Not sure where you got the idea that can’t happen in the US. It’s common for people in the US to be charged both murder and manslaughter. An obvious example is the George Floyd killer, who was charged with murder 2 and manslaughter.

Plus people get off on a single murder charges with various lessor homicide charges all the time.
                  I'm going to need a list of your favourite US courtroom dramas to know how much credence to give this.

Comment

I think its a bit shit. As a prosecutor, you shouldn't be able to have a free go at a murder conviction safe in the knowledge that you really think its manslaughter and that's what will probably be decided. There should be incentives to dissuade excessive charging, not encouragement of excessive charging. It probably also leads to more court cases than needed, as manslaughter cases charged as both manslaughter plus murder mean they need to be defended in long costly trials, while removing superfluous charging would lead to more pleads of guilty.

Comment

I'd say this is going to become unstoppable in Cork. Fast forward 30 years and the city will look like Singapore. Wonder will Dublin ever cop on? Stopping some building in the IFSC from going over six stories, or whatever it was, being only the most recent madness. Cities just look nicer built up. It doesn't affect the ground-floor history. E.g. the Gerkin doesn't take away from historic London at the ground level.

2382848_9_articlelarge_Cam1_City_Approach_06_1_.jpg

Comment

I think its a bit shit. As a prosecutor, you shouldn't be able to have a free go at a murder conviction safe in the knowledge that you really think its manslaughter and that's what will probably be decided. There should be incentives to dissuade excessive charging, not encouragement of excessive charging. It probably also leads to more court cases than needed, as manslaughter cases charged as both manslaughter plus murder mean they need to be defended in long costly trials, while removing superfluous charging would lead to more pleads of guilty.
                        I suspect you're talking absolute garbage here, but we need Kayroo to pop the head in and smack you down for authoritative rebuffage.

Comment

Astra Zeneca seems to have 'found' 29m doses in Italy.

They just seem to be a never-ending shitshow of epic proportions.

Comment

Beyond shocking from Rory.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                              A good ol' tonking

Comment

I suspect you're talking absolute garbage here, but we need Kayroo to pop the head in and smack you down for authoritative rebuffage.
                                I am very heavily reliant on him not turning up.

Comment

Astra Zeneca seems to have 'found' 29m doses in Italy.

They just seem to be a never-ending shitshow of epic proportions.
                                  Trying to pull the wool over US regulators eyes too. It's the kind of behaviour you might expect from a tech startup. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/23/b...sultPosition=2

Only hours after AstraZeneca announced encouraging news about the effectiveness of its Covid-19 vaccine on Monday, a group of medical experts charged with monitoring the company’s clinical trial made a highly unusual accusation: AstraZeneca had essentially cherry-picked data to make its vaccine look better.
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Question for the knowledgeable BBV, I wanted to pick up some pastries, cakes etc for someone this week, their favourite place is Queen Of Tarts, but they dont seem to be open for takeaway. Does anyone know the best place for such things thats open for takeaway at the moment?
                                    airport, lol

Comment

I am very heavily reliant on him not turning up.
                                      He must be sensing a disturbance in the force. Brace for force choke.
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                        Question for the knowledgeable BBV, I wanted to pick up some pastries, cakes etc for someone this week, their favourite place is Queen Of Tarts, but they dont seem to be open for takeaway. Does anyone know the best place for such things thats open for takeaway at the moment?

I eat pastries every week.
                                        You should order from Buttercream Dream, they won best bakery in Ireland.
                                        Bear lemon is my local bakery. Can't help with non vegan ones but I'm sure others can.

Comment

BOOM, just the 683 cases today and Hitch is comprehensively crushed* beneath the jackboot of sweet, sweet irrefutable data and the application of same.

Let's face it, a contest between this guy:
                                          images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWNspMuaEXjh8Jn1Tw-DaYosJKN3oznspEXg&usqp=CAU.png

and this guy:
                                          images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHY38LfZsS6oAHJV1cJZvLIMxfyJggRRGZgA&usqp=CAU.jpg

could only really ever end in total humiliating defeat for one of the above.

We're talking Alpha Male vs Alpha Fail here. A glorious thing to behold. As the old saying goes; 'those who can't, teach'.

Now, where should any man who has a spare €50 knocking about be looking to invest this easy-earned windfall.....?
                                          I can think of nothing more appropriate than on an entry to the IPB Aintree 2021 Tipping Comp. Thank you Hitch, if you could transfer the loot to the usual place, that would be most gratifying.

*only by 165 cases, or 2% but still glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            A dark day.

For all his awesomeness as a person and a social media legend. Poulter is the most journeyman of the elite Europeans. At least these days.

Rory should be making light work.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Round 6 of Music King ending in about 90 mins and round 7 - down to the last 4 players - will begin shortly after.

On target for a Friday night final - woohoo!

Comment

BOOM, just the 683 cases today and Hitch is comprehensively crushed* beneath the jackboot of sweet, sweet irrefutable data and the application of same.

Let's face it, a contest between this guy:
                                                images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWNspMuaEXjh8Jn1Tw-DaYosJKN3oznspEXg&usqp=CAU.png

and this guy:
                                                images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHY38LfZsS6oAHJV1cJZvLIMxfyJggRRGZgA&usqp=CAU.jpg

could only really ever end in total humiliating defeat for one of the above.

We're talking Alpha Male vs Alpha Fail here. A glorious thing to behold. As the old saying goes; 'those who can't, teach'.

Now, where should any man who has a spare €50 knocking about be looking to invest this easy-earned windfall.....?
                                                I can think of nothing more appropriate than on an entry to the IPB Aintree 2021 Tipping Comp. Thank you Hitch, if you could transfer the loot to the usual place, that would be most gratifying.

*only by 165 cases, or 2% but still glorious.
                                                Even I, as the victim, appreciate the chutzpah here.

Comment

Speaking of pastries, just went to the post office and picked up a surprise gift, a box of pastries.
                                                  Eamo you shouldn't have. Millionaire shortbreads, biscoff cookie sandwiches and toffee pecan brownies.

vur6gRPl.jpg
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-03-21, 19:17.

Comment

David McWilliams take yesterday on the current (Dublin) housing market.

Last couple of places we enquired about up between 10 and 20% on asking price and that didn't seem to be the case even a couple of months ago.

Played this game before. Will leave it for now so.
                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 24-03-21, 20:03.

Comment

Not sure if anyone interested or if this is useful knowledge for Hitch, but an indication of the strength of demand in the Dublin housing market right now - this house is currently at €735K. For us, this type of house and the location would almost perfect, and I wouldn't be surprised to end up in that estate (The Gallops) whenever we find somewhere (the house we're selling is a few minutes walk away), but that price would be a post-boom record for that type of house, probably by €75K if not more. The next-door neighbour, similar size with converted attic and extension, went for €630K in 2018.

The house across the road, bigger than we need/want but which we expressed interest in nonetheless, was at €875K before we told the EA that he didn't need to keep us informed. I would estimate almost everything in South Dublin is running 10%-15% above where they were pre-COVID. Good for us selling our house (we think we got a good price), but a bit scary given we want to trade up! Might be renting for a few months to see what happens.

Comment

Wow snap - hadn't seen your message Benny! My Dad sent me a text with McWilliams' advice yesterday actually I know he doesn't realise that it would cost approximately €2.5K/month to rent a small house in Dublin, so waiting one year uses up €30K of the gain of selling now. Tough situation... might have an out to a cheaper apartment at least, that an in-law has empty temporarily.

Comment

About a month ago loads of students started contacting me about doing a Masters. It seemed a bit odd, but I put it down to my excellent distance education skills. So, I used my worldly knowledge to recommend the only logical choice of the Netherlands (€2,200 for a Masters from a global top 50 university, with a super-modern finance focus), and a surprising number of them are shipping off. I was just reminded of this, as I finished off a reference for a student for a Dutch university this evening, of the slightly worried call I recently got from a postgrad coordinator in work who was wondering why so many undergrad students were off to Schipol. It was pointed out to me, gently as you would to an idiot, that I had accepted a position (and immediately forgot about that position) to be a calling point for students who wanted encouragement to do our own masters. I'd no idea. So, emmm, thats why everyone needs to pay more tax next year, just in case you are wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                            Not sure if anyone interested or if this is useful knowledge for Hitch, but an indication of the strength of demand in the Dublin housing market right now - this house is currently at €735K. For us, this type of house and the location would almost perfect, and I wouldn't be surprised to end up in that estate (The Gallops) whenever we find somewhere (the house we're selling is a few minutes walk away), but that price would be a post-boom record for that type of house, probably by €75K if not more. The next-door neighbour, similar size with converted attic and extension, went for €630K in 2018.

The house across the road, bigger than we need/want but which we expressed interest in nonetheless, was at €875K before we told the EA that he didn't need to keep us informed. I would estimate almost everything in South Dublin is running 10%-15% above where they were pre-COVID. Good for us selling our house (we think we got a good price), but a bit scary given we want to trade up! Might be renting for a few months to see what happens.
                                                            Oh we are so swimming in the same sea! We put that house on our list of 'houses we find interesting' a few days ago. (for location, not because its actually interesting)
                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-03-21, 21:01.

Comment

Ole or anyone watch OA on Netflix? Thoughts ?

Comment

Oh we are so swimming in the same sea! We put that house on our list of 'houses we find interesting' a few days ago. (for location, not because its actually interesting)
                                                                Yes, I suspected we would be given the houses you mentioned earlier location is all important to us also (well, so long as the house doesn't need work, there is ZERO value currently in 'doer-uppers', you're actually giving away value, go for a house that needs no work, honestly - you will save €50K for a wreck compared to the next-door house that has an extension, converted attic and premium finish, all of which probably would run you €150K+, along with the hassle and heartache). After living within 2 minutes walk of the Green Line for the last five years, it would be hard to overstate the benefits. Stay away from The Gallops though! That's my turf...

By the way you'll have an advantage over us, until our sale goes through - the vendor of that first house I linked to told the EA that they wouldn't deal with anyone in a chain (i.e. us) so long as first time or non-encumbered buyers were also bidding. Now typically there are very few FTBs at the price point we're looking at, but obviously there are a few like yourself and at least two others bidding on the Glencairn Park one. Make sure and point the 'no chain, mortgage approved, ready to go' out to the EA when you start to bid, you should be selling yourself as a buyer from the off.

Comment

Yes, I suspected we would be given the houses you mentioned earlier location is all important to us also (well, so long as the house doesn't need work, there is ZERO value currently in 'doer-uppers', you're actually giving away value, go for a house that needs no work, honestly - you will save €50K for a wreck compared to the next-door house that has an extension, converted attic and premium finish, all of which probably would run you €150K+, along with the hassle and heartache). After living within 2 minutes walk of the Green Line for the last five years, it would be hard to overstate the benefits. Stay away from The Gallops though! That's my turf...

By the way you'll have an advantage over us, until our sale goes through - the vendor of that first house I linked to told the EA that they wouldn't deal with anyone in a chain (i.e. us) so long as first time or non-encumbered buyers were also bidding. Now typically there are very few FTBs at the price point we're looking at, but obviously there are a few like yourself and at least two others bidding on the Glencairn Park one. Make sure and point the 'no chain, mortgage approved, ready to go' out to the EA when you start to bid, you should be selling yourself as a buyer from the off.
                                                                  oh thats top advice! We probably won't have mortgage approval until some time over the summer to be honest, so we're just trial-running it at the moment more than anything. Trying to get a feel for prices.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                    Bread 41 on Pearse Street
                                                                    is the nuts for pastries in Dublin.

They seem to operate on the basis of opening early and shutting the door
                                                                    when the shelves are empty so move fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Bread 41 on Pearse Street
                                                                      is the nuts for pastries in Dublin.

They seem to operate on the basis of opening early and shutting the door
                                                                      when the shelves are empty so move fast.
                                                                      That is a quite poor
                                                                      attempt to write a haiku
                                                                      better luck next time
                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 24-03-21, 23:23.

Comment

COViD seems to have finally crushed
                                                                        any remaining humanity from my soul.

My immediate response to that NPHAT
                                                                        dude berating the 2 funeral woman was
                                                                        that she deserves no sympathy.

It's inconceivable that anyone would be
                                                                        unaware of the dangers in her course of action
                                                                        and the appalling possible impact on others
                                                                        so she clearly said fuck them I'll suit myself.

We are all suffering through a nightmare
                                                                        ​​​​set of circumstances which nobody
                                                                        anticipated or deserved to experience
                                                                        & I sympathize with the dilemma she faced
                                                                        but her actions were totally selfish.

​​​​​​
                                                                        Last edited by DeeBrown; 24-03-21, 23:50.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

That is a quite poor
                                                                          attempt to write a haiku
                                                                          better luck next time
                                                                          I'll try to brush up on my Japanese poetry. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Do you invest it instead if you are not sure about the purchase of a house, or sit on it?
                                                                            I'm slightly over 100% invested. *

​​​​​​*do not take as financial advice

Comment

Six positive tests that we know of today - all from a family funeral (friend of ours aunt) where they went back to the house after. Now three people older than the deceased have it....
                                                                              I actually don't know anyone personally that's had it. Which makes me think people just haven't been open about it. Actually the only person I know that's had it is the woman I posted the long story about before.

Comment

About a month ago loads of students started contacting me about doing a Masters. It seemed a bit odd, but I put it down to my excellent distance education skills. So, I used my worldly knowledge to recommend the only logical choice of the Netherlands (€2,200 for a Masters from a global top 50 university, with a super-modern finance focus), and a surprising number of them are shipping off. I was just reminded of this, as I finished off a reference for a student for a Dutch university this evening, of the slightly worried call I recently got from a postgrad coordinator in work who was wondering why so many undergrad students were off to Schipol. It was pointed out to me, gently as you would to an idiot, that I had accepted a position (and immediately forgot about that position) to be a calling point for students who wanted encouragement to do our own masters. I'd no idea. So, emmm, thats why everyone needs to pay more tax next year, just in case you are wondering.
                                                                                My brother (Leiden) and my ex (UVA) both did masters in Netherlands, they were excellent. And students doing undergrad there do not need to do the rote learning crap you get here.
                                                                                Leiden is amazing, a fairytale of a place.
                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-21, 01:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I'm slightly over 100% invested. *

​​​​​​*do not take as financial advice
                                                                                  You're the closest thing to a financial advisor I've got. Acquiring margin as I type.
                                                                                  I currently can't invest as my passport ran out, can't get a new passport as they are not processing passports and don't want to buy right now as per all the chat today and possible wanting to move to London in a few years anyway. Hopefully by the time I get my passport the market will have crashed and I can lump vwce.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                    Ole or anyone watch OA on Netflix? Thoughts ?
                                                                                    I watched the first season and really enjoyed most of it...
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

you're actually giving away value, go for a house that needs no work, honestly - you will save €50K for a wreck compared to the next-door house that has an extension, converted attic and premium finish, all of which probably would run you €150K+, along with the hassle and heartache).
                                                                                      There's no way this isn't baked into the selling price (maybe not the asking price).

Certainly when we started looking, probably autumn 2018 before buying spring 2019 we would quite frequently see two houses on the same road.
                                                                                      Being Clontarf and a pretty settled area, the houses might be 40/50 years old.
                                                                                      If one was refurbed and the other was not, the asking prices might have been 750k vs 700k but the selling prices typically ended up being 900k vs 715k.

We bid on quite a few refurbed places and, without exception, they were commanding a big premium and going for chunky six-figure sums above asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I actually don't know anyone personally that's had it. Which makes me think people just haven't been open about it. Actually the only person I know that's had it is the woman I posted the long story about before.
                                                                                        Probably not that unusual not to know anyone, as it's still only <5% of the population that have had it and it's tended to have both geographical and socio-economic concentrations.

None of my close circle (friends\family) have had it but I know quite a few in my extended circle e.g. the anectode above where it's a friend of Mrs D3 who lives down the road. One of her aunts in hospital now, sigh.

Worst one I know of is a guy I am friendly with in work (based in NYC) - Indian immigrant with a big extended family. They did the big Diwali celebration thing ('because none of us had been sick, we thought it would be fine') - he ended up in hospital along with about a half-dozen other relatives, two of whom died. He still feels wrecked. For some reason, he's now decided to quit and move to Texas so maybe there is some Cowboy-wannabe side effect that deserves scrutiny.

Comment

I know a fair few who have had it and 3 people who have died.
                                                                                          The geographical and socio-economic point stands as all bar one (around my age, ended up in icu, out now) of these lived within a mile or two of each other.
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I work in IT for a manufacturing facility in the midlands - circa 300 employees. We had an outbreak back in late 2020. 10% of the workforce caught covid and it shutdown 1 of our 2 buildings for a week. I was working hands-on with equipment in the factory with Covid positive people for a large part of 2 days. I isolated afterwards but never developed symptoms and HSE said I didn't need a test as technically I didn't meet close contact criteria. I didn't catch it for two reasons:

1. Using K95 grade masks and sanitizing regularly.
                                                                                            2. Time spent in close proximity - minimal interaction with these people from a distance and not sharing tools or work surface.

The outbreak originated from a small number of employees from different households who were car pooling. Officially car pooling was "banned" by the company beforehand but it's obviously quite difficult to enforce in a 24/7 shift based roster.

Since Christmas I've been getting an antigen test every two weeks before I can enter the office. We caught 2 cases on the first week back January and isolated several more based on pre-screening questionnaires. Since then it's been all clear thankfully. Of the people caught up in the outbreak, 1 person was off work for about 6 weeks. They have asthma and were previously a smoker. Thankfully all good now and back to full health.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

My brother (Leiden) and my ex (UVA) both did masters in Netherlands, they were excellent. And students doing undergrad there do not need to do the rote learning crap you get here.
                                                                                              Leiden is amazing, a fairytale of a place.
                                                                                              I think I once went to Leiden because you spoke so highly of it! Or maybe twice.

Some experience for an Irish student compared to continuing in the same university you did your undergrad in. And for a fifth of the price. The masters in Maastricht is this beautifully scandie blend of financial data science coding and sustainable finance. €2,250 total cost. Rent a lovely one-bed apartment for a few hundred maybe. Cross the bridge from Maastricht to Belgium when you're running low on Belgian beers.

Comment

My brother in Galway had it in November, he's not 100% sure where he got it. Didn't impact him much, he was one of the lucky ones. I don't know a single other person who's had it.

Comment

Niece and brother in law both minor effect

Comment

I'm going to need a list of your favourite US courtroom dramas to know how much credence to give this.
                                                                                                    Law & Order back in the day. (IceCube over Ally McBeal)
                                                                                                    Primal Fear, Sleepers and A Time to Kill among favourite movies.
                                                                                                    Every murder documentary on Netflix.

It’s not a free go. court cases cost money.
                                                                                                    You’ve literally just touched on the disincentive. Chasing an unwinnable murder charge is a waste of money. If prosecutors overcharged at every opportunity, they’d quickly have a increased costs, and lower conviction rates compared to others. With is a good way to fast track your career nowhere.
                                                                                                    You’re also wrong about more guilty pleas. If they entered proceeding with manslaughter charges instead of murder. It’s eliminates any sort of plea manoeuvring. By charging with murder, it’s allows people (some of whom are guilty) to take a plea for a lessor charge.

The other obvious reason for dual charges is that often it’s not a question of whether they killed the person or not, but how and why did they kill them. The trial isn’t a question of his guilt, but guilty of which charge.
                                                                                                    As mentioned above the cop who killed George Floyd is a good example. He’s charge with 3 increasingly serious degrees of homicide. It’s 100% that he killed George Floyd. The first charge is a slam dunk. Not guiktybis off the table. The trial is simply a matter of how culpable is he on the other two charges. Determining that answer to that requires judge and jury.

Comment

I think I once went to Leiden because you spoke so highly of it! Or maybe twice.

Some experience for an Irish student compared to continuing in the same university you did your undergrad in. And for a fifth of the price. The masters in Maastricht is this beautifully scandie blend of financial data science coding and sustainable finance. €2,250 total cost. Rent a lovely one-bed apartment for a few hundred maybe. Cross the bridge from Maastricht to Belgium when you're running low on Belgian beers.
                                                                                                      Looks a bit Bruges-like from my 1 minute google. i.e. lovely

Now I'm pissed off that I know about it, as it looks like I could have easily stayed there all those weeks I was working in Rotterdam in 2018-2020 and it looks like 100% more craic.

Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

I would love to know how many had it unbeknownst to themselves.

Comment

My mate is lecturer in Delft university and commutes from Rotterdam via train and bicycle. The guy has a seriously nice pace of life, handyish commute, good salary, interesting research (for him) and likes the dutch way of doing things. Quite jealous of his set up tbf. Rotterdam isn't as nice as the likes of Delft, Utrecht and Den Haag but they fairly comparable to Belgium. Transportation is excellent in general over there but it is a small country as someone pointed out on the BBV before.
                                                                                                          Last edited by coillcam; 25-03-21, 11:24.

Comment

5yo going for a test at lunchtime, stuck in house till results come back. 1/25 on its not Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

My mate is lecturer in Delft university and commutes from Rotterdam via train and bicycle. The guy has a seriously nice pace of life, handyish commute, good salary, interesting research (for him) and likes the dutch way of doing things. Quite jealous of his set up tbf.
                                                                                                              There is a semi-opening for me if I ever wanted to take it over there.

I don't think it's all roses tbh, the Dutch do organise themselves very well but it's still a hell of a lot of people in a very small country. And the flatness of the land is just weird.

Food isn't particularly great either.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

My mate is lecturer in Delft university and commutes from Rotterdam via train and bicycle. The guy has a seriously nice pace of life, handyish commute, good salary, interesting research (for him) and likes the dutch way of doing things. Quite jealous of his set up tbf.
                                                                                                                oh Delft is picture-postcard gorgeous.

Comment

oh Delft is picture-postcard gorgeous.
                                                                                                                  Goddamit. Stop torturing me with all these great places I could have had a great time in, but instead booked into the corporately convenient place.

This is like FOMO except I have already MO.

Needs an acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    ...
                                                                                                                    Had a great big Australian misunderstanding just there. Meant to be giving a talk in a Melbourne uni on Friday at their time 10:30am. Had set the reminder for midnight tomorrow and was going to prepare the presentation tomorrow. Only double-checked this morning whether ye guys are ahead rather than behind. Would have been an embarrassing enough email to wake up to tomorrow morning.

Comment

Actually whats the turn around on a test result?

Comment

Always forget just how small and densely populated Holland is. It's only about 60% the size of us with 3.5x the population.

The scandie countries, excepting Denmark, are bleedin' massive but I guess most of their land area is basically uninhabitable unless you're Bear Grylls.

Comment

And how small NI is.

We'd only add 14k sq/km to our land area if we blitzkrieged Belfast and seized it in an anschluss.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X