This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    I assume you mean death rates outside of covid?

This move is quite literally 12 months late.
    Never going to be used. There as a deterrent to travel to Ireland in the first place.

People have to self identify and stay on the plane. Yeah right. Just the concept of two groups, on the same plane being processed differently, is crackers. They have all been sharing the same small space for the last couple of hours FFS.

PCR levy and test for all who land FTW. Not easy to implement but better than the hotel madness.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Never going to be used. There as a deterrent to travel to Ireland in the first place.

People have to self identify and stay on the plane. Yeah right. Just the concept of two groups, on the same plane being processed differently, is crackers. They have all been sharing the same small space for the last couple of hours FFS.

PCR levy and test for all who land FTW. Not easy to implement but better than the hotel madness.
      what are other countries doing as a matter of interest?

(always amazes me that we torture ourselves trying to come up with perfect here when we could just steal the good ideas of other countries)
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Last week when the media frenzy was the suspension of AZ while a possible blood clotting correlation was investigated RTE framed the debate by asking every single health expert and government rep about how peoples 'understandable' fears would be dealt with and what would happen if they wanted a different vaccine and how much this would increase vaccine hesitancy.

So far this week I heard a half a dozen zero covid cranks and a whole raft of opposition figures on bleating that everyone coming into the country should be put into 14 day hotel quarantine not a single one of them was asked to explain how they were going to police the border or deal with delivery of food medicine and other essentials when everyone coming in off a ferry or plane has to spend 2 weeks in a fucking Travelodge

FFS!
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Do you really need help with this?
          I do, apologies for ignorance, but curious?
          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

(always amazes me that we torture ourselves trying to come up with perfect here when we could just steal the good ideas of other countries)
            Mandatory 2 week self-isolation in designated hotel in BC, and likely all Canada, for, close to, or as long as, this has been going on.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

I do, apologies for ignorance, but curious?
              Dunno what DP is on about but I imagine somebody in FF just secretly bought that domain name (or had somebody do it), and linked it o their site. It's not an official domain of nphet etc, they don't have a site. Or else somebody outside them did it for the little stir up it would cause.

Comment

I'm not across the details of the proposal. But why would two groups on the same plane be treated differently?
                Mandatory means mandatory. Or at least it should.

The whole point of hotel quarantine is that people who have recently contracted it (such as from a passenger) won't have a viral load to return a positive result.
                Over here it's 2 weeks, and you get tested on arrival, day 2 and day 10. There The test that's been catching the most cases was the day 2 test of those who were asymptomatic.
                Potentially 100s are cluster outbreaks in they were let out after first pass.

Hotel quarantine has been in effect here for about a year. Statistically it seems to be hugely effective are keeping community transmission close to zero.

Comment

My friend was doing the hotel thing from the start when going home to Singapore. Had all their food etc covered, nice stuff! The government even paid for people to come home if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Dunno what DP is on about but I imagine somebody in FF just secretly bought that domain name (or had somebody do it), and linked it o their site. It's not an official domain of nphet etc, they don't have a site. Or else somebody outside them did it for the little stir up it would cause.
                    Its a million percent the second angle. That someone from the outside did this. But maybe says a lot about politics that you think someone from ff would actually do it.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hotel quarantine has been in effect here for about a year. Statistically it seems to be hugely effective are keeping community transmission close to zero.
                      Yeah but you do have an inbuilt geographical advantage. NZ even more so.

We share a land border with another country, have an exceptionally open economy and are part of an international organisation for which 'freedom of movement' is a foundational principle.

So not really apples with apples. Maybe apples with kiwi fruits.

Comment

The very fact it showed up in wombats whatsapp groups says the type of people that thought it would be a laugh

Comment

I'm not across the details of the proposal. But why would two groups on the same plane be treated differently?
                          Mandatory means mandatory. Or at least it should.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah but you do have an inbuilt geographical advantage. NZ even more so.

We share a land border with another country, have an exceptionally open economy and are part of an international organisation for which 'freedom of movement' is a foundational principle.

So not really apples with apples. Maybe apples with kiwi fruits.
                            we try not to talk about geographical advantage or disadvantage anymore. Differently geolocationally positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its a million percent the second angle. That someone from the outside did this. But maybe says a lot about politics that you think someone from ff would actually do it.
                              Could easily be a youth supporter or anybody. Random aside, a curry paste company registered my vegan insta/facebook name for a domain for their curry site, which I thought was funny. Oh yeah whoops this isn't the right site but will buy a tub of curry paste while I'm here I guess.

Comment

The very fact it showed up in wombats whatsapp groups says the type of people that thought it would be a laugh
                                I thought it was funny myself

Comment

^^This.
                                  I'd take me about 6 minutes to do something similar for any number of political figures/groups
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

have a suggestion . Music King is great little competition (and the debates). Perhaps we need a sticky thread for Music so the tunes keep flowing in one place plus it can be topped up every week or as people see fit. Many a good tune misses me by in the BBV as it updates so quickly. From Ollies Friday night Guy Clarkes to Lazare Jules favs.

Comment

Israel doing it for example. Irish guy, working in Israel, on Matt Cooper talking about it a couple of weeks ago.

Furthermore, incoming passengers will be required to undergo a PCR test when landing in the State of Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Could easily be a youth supporter or anybody. Random aside, a curry paste company registered my vegan insta/facebook name for a domain for their curry site, which I thought was funny. Oh yeah whoops this isn't the right site but will buy a tub of curry paste while I'm here I guess.
                                        doubtful.
                                        I mean extremely doubtful.
                                        Wombat's whatsapp group gaslighting attempt should make that clear.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I assume that our immigration control is sufficiently advanced so as to know what country people are from without that letting the lads know.

I was thinking surely two people arriving on the same class of flight, ie international.
                                          Then I look up category 2 countries. FFS, the lads are taking the piss. Here was me think that they finally implemented proper measures. But nope. Have assed 3rd world restriction. While any old jabroni arriving from the United States of Covid is free to waltz in.

I suppose it's my own fault assuming they had got it together.

Comment

Israel doing it for example. Irish guy, working in Israel, on Matt Cooper talking about it a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.iaa.gov.il/en/airports/b...ring-covid-19/

At least only people arriving from countries on the high-risk list will have to enter the new quarantine system.
                                            Ah, well, you’ll also have to use it if, regardless of whether or not the country you arrive from is on the high-risk list, you cannot show you have a negative or not-detected result from a Covid-19 RT-PCR test carried out no more than 72 hours before you reach Ireland. But you will, at least, only be charged by the day: €150 for the first person, €55 for the second person over 12, and €30 for four- to 12-year-olds. The Government’s quarantine website has full details.

Comment

I thought it was funny myself
                                              Well nows not the time or the place to be judging yourself

Comment

only be charged €30 for four- to 12-year-olds.
                                                hmm and Easter vacation starts on Friday?

Comment

doubtful.
                                                  I mean extremely doubtful.
                                                  Wombat's whatsapp group gaslighting attempt should make that clear.
                                                  Is there no way to do a WhoIs on it or something?

Don't know where this WhatApp group thing is coming from

Comment

Hitch made it up because that is what you do to get ahead in Academia. DP ran with it as it supported his point, which is what you do to get ahead on the internet.

tbf I agree with them, just trying to say what is possible as I see stupid stuff actually happening a lot.

Comment

Be proud of your HitchHism. It's up there with the Le Carre jibes against RD3. I'm hoping I get labelled as having my opinions from toilet doors
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

gdpr means whois is automatically redacted.
                                                        The fact that the nameservers are held by hostingireland.ie instead of a recognized govt supplier should say it all.

I'm just a fan of aliteration dude and "Wombat's whatsapp group gaslighting" was too good to pass up

Comment

#wombatswhatapp is trending .

Comment

ha

Comment

I don't know how the state pays its day-to-day operations when it is handing out €13m for pseudo-science cases like this. There's some deep scam at the heart of Irish courts and health cases. Nearly all of the cervical cancer cases, most of those multi-million euro pregnancy settlements. This idea that the state is on the hook for anytime something goes wrong in a hospital, even though things frequently go wrong in hospitals as each patient is unique. A hospital is meant to try to minimise the things that go wrong, but we must be the only country in the world (even compared to the US) where the basic occurrence of something going wrong counts as negligence. I think I read recently that its a billion in outstanding cases that the HSE is faced with and its all just coming out of our pockets.

Comment

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa from Arvada.
                                                                bad day terrorist

Damn alliteration is everywhere

Comment

I don't know how the state pays its day-to-day operations when it is handing out €13m for pseudo-science cases like this. There's some deep scam at the heart of Irish courts and health cases. Nearly all of the cervical cancer cases, most of those multi-million euro pregnancy settlements. This idea that the state is on the hook for anytime something goes wrong in a hospital, even though things frequently go wrong in hospitals as each patient is unique. A hospital is meant to try to minimise the things that go wrong, but we must be the only country in the world (even compared to the US) where the basic occurrence of something going wrong counts as negligence. I think I read recently that its a billion in outstanding cases that the HSE is faced with and its all just coming out of our pockets.
                                                                  There's a reason why healthcare is so expensive in the US though....

Comment

In other news, just the 371 cases today. Bringing Hitch (and indeed the very nation itself) up to 6900 for the 13 days from 11-23 Mar inclusive.

848 cases is the target for tomorrow if Hitch is to back up his braggadocio.

Comment

In other news, just the 371 cases today. Bringing Hitch (and indeed the very nation itself) up to 6900 for the 13 days from 11-23 Mar inclusive.

848 cases is the target for tomorrow if Hitch is to back up his braggadocio.
                                                                      ffs. I nailed the reversal of the fall in case numbers, so history will surely remember that most of all, but thats a very high bar for tomorrow in order to technically win.

Comment

ffs. I nailed the reversal of the fall in case numbers, so history will surely remember that most of all, but thats a very high bar for tomorrow in order to technically win.
                                                                        Must....not...indulge...in...gloating....yet....

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for it to come out that some Executive in that hotel group had a cousin whos second cousins uncles cousins nieces son had a fling with Leo's partners former lover back in the 00s which swung the contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            I wonder how long it will take for it to come out that some Executive in that hotel group had a cousin whos second cousins uncles cousins nieces son had a fling with Leo's partners former lover back in the 00s which swung the contract?
                                                                            Or they just happen to be the group that has the hotels at Dublin airport.

either is good

Comment

Or they just happen to be the group that has the hotels at Dublin airport.

either is good
                                                                              No conspiracy in that theory my good man

Comment

For the cooking heads. The Great British Menu is back tomorrow night 8pm on BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  For the cooking heads. The Great British Menu is back tomorrow night 8pm on BBC.
                                                                                  I preferred their earlier stuff.

Speaking of... Music King Round 6 now open for voting - best and worst no. 1 hit singles of all time.

23 hours to vote.
                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 23-03-21, 21:04.

Comment

Will listen to those tonight. Player 5 video shows nothing when I click into it though.

Also, I hate the way videos are on the site now. Anything that can be done with them DP?

Comment

Just on the vaccine thing. It seems there's going to be way more vaccines on the way now. Due to this story below, that the UK are objecting to. Have a look at what the UK are objecting to - The UK have blocked any EU-purchased vaccines from leaving UK, and their objection is with the EU doing the same! The balls are something. Like how did they ever think that was acceptable?

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Commission will on Wednesday extend EU powers to potentially block COVID-19 vaccine exports to Britain and other areas with much higher vaccination rates, and to cover instances of companies backloading contracted supplies, an EU official said.

The moves, which the EU official said could hit Johnson & Johnson, are designed to avoid even limited shortfalls in deliveries to a region whose inoculation programme has been beset by delays and supply issues.

Shipments abroad could also be withheld if vaccine-producing countries, such as Britain and the United States, do not allow exports to the EU, the official said, confirming comments by Commission head Ursula von der Leyen last week.

As tensions between London and Brussels rose on Monday over a possible export ban, Britain demanded that EU authorities allow the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines it has ordered.

Comment

Just watched the reunification debate from last night on the player. Was Brolly on the sauce or does he always talk like that? Don't watch much GAA.

My overriding feeling is that the whole thing would be akin to kicking a hornets nest. Came across as a very one sided debate TBF. Talk of not abandoning northern republicans who were cut off by partition, without a mention of southern unionists in the same boat.

DUP guy talked about putting better political mechanisms in place, like the GFA, that would ensure better cooperation while protecting identities, without having to face a yes \ no ultimatum. Sounded better in theory anyway. Wait 50 years until everyone forgets or grows out of the crazy stuff.

Amazing how emblems, flags and ditties can so divisive.

Comment

Just on the vaccine thing. It seems there's going to be way more vaccines on the way now. Due to this story below, that the UK are objecting to. Have a look at what the UK are objecting to - The UK have blocked any EU-purchased vaccines from leaving UK, and their objection is with the EU doing the same! The balls are something. Like how did they ever think that was acceptable?

It's red meat for the red tops. If they piss off the EU, then that's a bonus.

That's the mentality you're dealing with.

Comment

Talk of not abandoning northern republicans who were cut off by partition, without a mention of southern unionists in the same boat.
                                                                                            West Brit jokes aside, only one of those groups exists!

Comment

DUP guy talked about putting better political mechanisms in place, like the GFA, that would ensure better cooperation while protecting identities, without having to face a yes \ no ultimatum. Sounded better in theory anyway. Wait 50 years until everyone forgets or grows out of the crazy stuff.

Amazing how emblems, flags and ditties can so divisive.
                                                                                              Only saw that bit with Campbell trying to sound reasonable and Mary Lou and Leo singing off the same hymn sheet.

Unionists are in desperate need of leadership they are in a position where they genuinely have no one smarter than Sammy Wilson to stand up for them

How Brexit plays out over the next couple of years will be crucial. A sensible outcome like Campbell was positing will emerge over time if common sense and a best of both worlds outcome for NI happens. If it doesn't and anyone tries to 'solve' the issue it will go up in flames.

Comment

I’m never voting for all the civil service wasters in the North to start sticking their hands in my pocket

Comment

Just watched the reunification debate from last night on the player. Was Brolly on the sauce or does he always talk like that? Don't watch much GAA.
                                                                                                  Yeah, hes a gobshite. Just couldn't help himself having a dig which is pretty standard for him. Bit mad he can't help himself from being a fool considering hes a barrister so youd think hes quite intelligent.

The RTE GAA coverage has been infinitely better since they got rid of him in 2019.

Comment

Sadly the Scottish vote came down to social welfare rates and hospital waiting lists. The grand picture of a unified island will get beaten into submission by Irish politicians and Irish people overthinking things and disagreeing on minutae.

Comment

Good news for the North Kildare property market....

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Hitch. Comments?

Companies in these countries have fulfilled contracts to export the vaccines to countries like the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          shocking really. our beautiful european vaccines going to make the brits stronger.

Comment

And then you have arlene saying this, after having taken our vaccines. how could we ever reunite with feckers like that?

The DUP leader told RTÉ Radio's This Week she was "alarmed" about the slower pace of the rollout in the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                              whats the result / latest on the Hitch v RDIII bet?
                                                                                                              we need a big bug day to save my deposit. Around 850 infections to be announced today or thereabouts.

Comment

Thought this was an interesting example of a flaw in the Irish prosecution system. Ireland is, I think, one of the few countries in the world where you can try to convict someone of multiple distinct crimes for the same case. So, you can try to convict of murder, but settle for manslaughter. Meaning as a prosecutor there is no disincentive from wanting to seek a murder conviction as it, at the least, makes the case for manslaughter strong. Ends up with cases like this, where even a casual reading (and the courts have now agreed) suggests it was a disagreement gone wrong rather than intentional murder, yet the prosecutors had a free pass at trying to make a murder conviction stick, and it nearly worked, before having to settle for manslaughter.

A MAN who killed a vulnerable homeless man by throwing him down a rubbish chute has had his murder conviction quashed for the second time by the Court of Appeal.

The three-judge court substituted David O’Loughlin’s murder verdict with one of manslaughter, having found there was no evidence he intended to kill or cause serious injury to Liam Manley.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                  whats the result / latest on the Hitch v RDIII bet?
                                                                                                                  Hitch was technically correct about the trend, but RDIII will get the money unless there are 1100 ish cases tonight

Comment

shocking really. our beautiful european vaccines going to make the brits stronger.
                                                                                                                    Someone sent me the link but it goes against your statement against the brit foul play. Just wondering if it were bullshit etc . You seen more informed than me on this . I love bashing the brits

Comment

Thought this was an interesting example of a flaw in the Irish prosecution system. Ireland is, I think, one of the few countries in the world where you can try to convict someone of multiple distinct crimes for the same case. So, you can try to convict of murder, but settle for manslaughter. Meaning as a prosecutor there is no disincentive from wanting to seek a murder conviction as it, at the least, makes the case for manslaughter strong. Ends up with cases like this, where even a casual reading (and the courts have now agreed) suggests it was a disagreement gone wrong rather than intentional murder, yet the prosecutors had a free pass at trying to make a murder conviction stick, and it nearly worked, before having to settle for manslaughter.
                                                                                                                      Isn't it pretty common for US prosecutors to charge someone with 'Serious Charge X' but for the case ultimately to be settled at the level of 'Less Serious Charge Y'? Basically, the defendant cops to the lesser charge, the prosecutor gets a win and the case is efficiently dealt with.

Or have I been reading legal thrillers wrong all these years.

Comment

Isn't it pretty common for US prosecutors to charge someone with 'Serious Charge X' but for the case ultimately to be settled at the level of 'Less Serious Charge Y'? Basically, the defendant cops to the lesser charge, the prosecutor gets a win and the case is efficiently dealt with.

Or have I been reading legal thrillers wrong all these years.
                                                                                                                        I was called in for TV licence but got charged with being drunk and disorderly FFS judge couldn't take a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Hitch was technically correct about the trend, but RDIII will get the money unless there are 1100 ish cases tonight
                                                                                                                          A man of Hitchhikers description has been spotted handing out anti masking leaflets in Dublin recently. I hope he loses the bet . It does against the whole spirit of it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X