This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Any update on the new position at work or did I miss it?
    Not really, the guy doing the hiring was speaking to my direct boss and my direct boss clarified the breakdown of the package to me on Tuesday, which still added up to the same amount as before so not really sure of the point of it.

He asked me if I wanted to take the day off (Paddy's Day) to have a rethink about it in case I wanted to change my mind. It was late in the evening when having this conversation and I was in a rush to get out of the office as I had to collect medicine and some other stuff for my Dad so I didn't particularly want to get I to it again.

Myself and my boss haven't been in the office together since last Tuesday so haven't spoke to him again on it but there is no change from my side. If the offer doesn't change, my answer is still a thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

So, just picking this up across the thread today:

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.
      Under 40sqm single story extension - fire away

You would be altering the roof of the garage and/or doing 2 stories so PP required.

We got PP approved - fairly straightforward and handy tbh, takes c3 months to come through and good for 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
        Deansgrange in particular.
        I don't get Deansgrange at all. It seems be a few houses loosely arranged around furious roads. They really need to do something to reduce the influence of cars in the place as thats the main impression that the place gives - of a thoroughfare for cars with housing as an afterthought.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You see this house:

Taking the house itself, and ignoring the price range as unrealistic, how much would it cost to extend that type of house from 120sqm to 160sqm? I might have asked this question before, but I think I asked it in a more general sense than now. I guess it would involve building over the garage and incorporating the garage into the house proper, then building a conservatory-style large kitchen area at the back.
          Thats mad €4500 per sq M

Looking at the finish there your close enough to paying a half a million for the site which looking at the map and doing a rough calc makes it the best part of 20 million an acre for the bit of a back garden and the permission
          No 2 Daughter is going to build close on three times the size of that to a fairly high spec for a lot less than that is costing.

There is something radically wrong with the housing market in Dublin.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Unless this is your dream gaff or has some mad emotional connection you should run away very fast, right now. You're going to be tied up in this for years, not months and its.going to be unbelievably stressful for you, a lot more than it already is. Dont envy you with this. Best of luck.
            ​​​​​​Our solicitor suggested that it would be a quick enough process.
            If RD3 and yourself are correct, then perhaps a withdrawal might be the best solution.

I'm wary that if we go back to square 1, we'll be in this place for another 9 months at least with reapplying for mortgage etc.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Yeah it was very good.

Hack it out podcasts have been decent too. Scott Fawcett is a dick but he really knows his stats. Recent ones with Will Zalatoris and Hovland were very insightful
              Will get on Hack it Out. I really like both Zalatoris and Hovland. Hovland is a dork, but he's a genuine dude. Zalatoris is such a good golfer. There's something different about his ball striking. Two people I am looking forward to hearing speak now.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is also great.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thats mad €4500 per sq M

Looking at the finish there your close enough to paying a half a million for the site which looking at the map and doing a rough calc makes it the best part of 20 million an acre for the bit of a back garden and the permission
                  No 2 Daughter is going to build close on three times the size of that to a fairly high spec for a lot less than that is costing.

There is something radically wrong with the housing market in Dublin.
                  Location, location, location.....
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    ​​​​​​Our solicitor suggested that it would be a quick enough process.
                    If RD3 and yourself are correct, then perhaps a withdrawal might be the best solution.

I'm wary that if we go back to square 1, we'll be in this place for another 9 months at least with reapplying for mortgage etc.
                    Jaysis, don't take legal advice from me.

The problem is that it sounds like your solicitor doesn't have control over it, so she can make all the promises she likes but can't deliver on them. If only we had a legal expert on the forum....

Comment

Doesn't really make a difference as long as someone will pay you back the money at the end, and good schools are probably the biggest slow-moving determinant of that. Realistically prices aren't falling even if they are stupidly high as Ireland is only going to become an even more high-value economy as the years progress. Those houses though are super-shit looking.

Comment

Thats very disappointing by the youth of Ireland that they haven't spent the last two weeks out infecting each other. 520 cases ffs, and there's usually one abnormally low day on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Comment

Thats very disappointing by the youth of Ireland that they haven't spent the last two weeks out infecting each other. 520 cases ffs, and there's usually one abnormally low day on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
                          You're on 6529 for 12 days so need 1220 tomorrow\Weds. It's going to be tight either way.

More drama in this than the Cheltenham tipping comp anyway.

Comment

I blame all those Nordies getting vaccinated, and not spreading the pox when the come down here to build stuff.
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Interesting listening back to todays Liveline. Discussing the Frank McCann double murder case. Always interested me as was only down the road and remember it well, also his nephew who was sadly dying at the time was in school with me.

Its a mad story really but cliffs are he and his missus were attepmting to adopt but it came to the authorities attention that he had groomed/abused and got a girl pregnant while her swimming coach (he was mates with the others involved in all that) so as the Adoption Board had broken for the summer he decided he had to kill the wife and kid before they readjourned so the info wouldnt come out. Spent the summer with 4 failed attmpts to kill them before finally succeding with 3 days to spare. Still got caught and all came out in the wash anyway. Such a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Cycled into town with Child #1 this afternoon. Quiet as you would imagine but did seem to be a lot of couples who looked like they were on 1st/2nd3rd dates. Dressed excessively well and nervously interacting.

Is that a pandemic thing? Lockdown 'walking around town' dates?
                                Was fairly common a few months ago, although usually only the women were dressed well. Did see a late thirties couple shifting the face off each other at a bus stop a few evenings ago, and realised I'd be sheltered from seeing strangers doing such things for a long time.

Comment

Doesn't really make a difference as long as someone will pay you back the money at the end, and good schools are probably the biggest slow-moving determinant of that. Realistically prices aren't falling even if they are stupidly high as Ireland is only going to become an even more high-value economy as the years progress. Those houses though are super-shit looking.
                                  Super expensive but no signs of the inputs into that changing. I do spend some time thinking about whether I should buy and ride the wave of cheap money, even though it's not something I really want to do.

Comment

Music King round 5 open (embedding links not working unfortunately)

Some great videos and a couple of cracking interviews to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      Super expensive but no signs of the inputs into that changing. I do spend some time thinking about whether I should buy and ride the wave of cheap money, even though it's not something I really want to do.
                                      Why make informed life choices when you could instead be gambooling it up in the IPB 2021 Aintree Tipping Comp?

Comment

Six positive tests that we know of today - all from a family funeral (friend of ours aunt) where they went back to the house after. Now three people older than the deceased have it....

Comment

I used to count the days to the international break. Now its MEHHH.

Comment

Six positive tests that we know of today - all from a family funeral (friend of ours aunt) where they went back to the house after. Now three people older than the deceased have it....
                                            Sounds like they need a dressing down from irelands sociopathic representative at NPHET Dr Walley.

My favourite quote from all of Covid came from this article last week.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said

Last edited by The Situation; 22-03-21, 21:19.
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

Sounds like they need a dressing down from irelands sociopathic representative at NPHET Dr Walley.

My favourite quote from all of Covid came from this article last week.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said
                                              I don't get it? That she should have ignored the warning signs that covid is maybe not a walk in the park due to it KILLING BOTH HER BROTHERS and decided the nanny-state was being over-protective in trying to stop her going to a funeral where she herself got so ill with covid that she was (almost certainly) hospitalised. That if she was given a chance of a do-over she should have done the same thing again. How is that possibly sociopathic by a doctor to suggest actually the good move here was to stay at home, your brothers almost certainly wouldn't want you to have their horrific death.
                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-03-21, 21:59.

Comment

I don't get it? That she should have ignored the warning signs that covid is maybe not a walk in the park due to it KILLING BOTH HER BROTHERS and decided the nanny-state was being over-protective in trying to stop her going to a funeral where she herself got so ill with covid that she was (almost certainly) hospitalised. That if she was given a chance of a do-over she should have done the same thing again. How is that possibly sociopathic by a doctor to suggest actually the good move here was to stay at home, your brothers almost certainly wouldn't want you to have their horrific death.
                                                Warning the public of these risks is perfectly fine. An aftertiming "what lessons have you learned" to a woman who recently buried two members of her family and was presumably quite ill herself (and probably was fully aware of the risks in her decisions) is absolutely unhinged from him.
                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Will get on Hack it Out. I really like both Zalatoris and Hovland. Hovland is a dork, but he's a genuine dude. Zalatoris is such a good golfer. There's something different about his ball striking. Two people I am looking forward to hearing speak now.
                                                  I like Zalatoris in the matchplay think it will really suit how he thinks his way around the course. He will be gunning for Bryson too.
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I don't get it?
                                                    This brings to mind advice from the Buddha on components of ethical speech:

"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

Comment

Warning the public of these risks is perfectly fine. An aftertiming "what lessons have you learned" to a woman who recently buried two members of her family and was presumably quite ill herself (and probably was fully aware of the risks in her decisions) is absolutely unhinged from him.
                                                      It seems like a fairly stark highlighting of the risks though. They're not just picking random cases, they know a lot of transmission is happening around funerals (as per raoul's post tonight) and wanted a story that highlighted to that specific cohort that there's no magic cloak. So now when someone in that cohort is thinking of going to a funeral they'll remember that story and it might stop a few of them going. I've pretty much stopped reading anything to do with covid, and don't have a telly, so not sure its out of trend with how they normally communicate. Seems grand though.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

This brings to mind advice from the Buddha on components of ethical speech:

are you agreeing or wha?!!

I presume because of your training you'd be supportive of this move to influence behaviour by using peer advice in conjunction with expert advice, given how massively influential peer advice is in adjusting behaviour. Maybe the buddha said that and is indeed the OG behavioural researcher.

Comment

It seems like a fairly stark highlighting of the risks though. They're not just picking random cases, they know a lot of transmission is happening around funerals (as per raoul's post tonight) and wanted a story that highlighted to that specific cohort that there's no magic cloak. So now when someone in that cohort is thinking of going to a funeral they'll remember that story and it might stop a few of them going. I've pretty much stopped reading anything to do with covid, and don't have a telly, so not sure its out of trend with how they normally communicate. Seems grand though.
                                                          10% of cases linked to funerals, per tonight's news.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

I like Zalatoris in the matchplay think it will really suit how he thinks his way around the course. He will be gunning for Bryson too.
                                                            Casey playing quite consistant has to be in with a shout at 33s?

Comment

I must be a big bad covid denier citizen cos if my brother died I'd 100% be at his funeral. And if he died twice id go again too.

the way yer man spoke to that woman was like when you were a kid caught doing something bad. And what did we learn today the parent or teacher would ask condescendingly sarcastically.

Comment

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."
                                                                Sounds like the doctor's comment might not pass the third precept. (I hear no undertone of affection but then it's probably something we tend not to look for in public health briefings).

It might pass the other four though.

Comment

Maybe this should be quoted at the NPHET briefings:

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes
                                                                  Also; they should tell the odd joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    Do you invest it instead if you are not sure about the purchase of a house, or sit on it?

Comment

Whether or not he said something silly to a grieving relative he was making a point to a general public that does not want to hear it.

Funerals are a particular problem I've seen two in the last week that drew unreasonable gatherings at different stages. One had a full on overcrowded wake and a huge crowd afterwards. Very easy to understand people being insular and selfish at a really bad time for them but also fuck them.
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Him being right and privately and publicly dressing her down being the right thing to do are two totally different things. Because it is public, her name might not be known but everyone who knows her will know who she is, family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc. She has been shamed for what she did, after already going through an awful lot. That points to him being one giant cunt of a person.

Comment

He could have told the story without ever needing to add the part of him being a condescending arsehole to her at the end. They've a fairly thankless job and any advice at this point is probably gonna be dismissed by large portions of the fatigued public but coming across that cold and detached from the emotional side of the story certainly doesn't help their public perception and id say would have a net negative result on compliance.
                                                                          Last edited by The Situation; 22-03-21, 22:48.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

He could have told the story without ever needing to add the part of him being a condescending arsehole to her at the end. They've a fairly thankless job and any advice at this point is probably gonna be dismissed by large portions of the fatigued public but coming across that cold and detached from the emotional side of the story certainly doesn't help their public perception and id say would have a net negative result on compliance.
                                                                            I think you're thinking they say these things off the cuff. They have behavioural experts on staff who probably help craft the specific examples to suit particular groups of people.

Comment

I don't know if it's the perfect message. Or even a good one. But it's not some off-the-cuff example.

Comment

I thought you just bought a house?! I was basing my current house search around Kimmage and surrounding areas based on 'well if its good enough for london hotshots'
                                                                                sale agreed since September, they're not able to finish building it though, no progress whatsoever since Dec 23rd I think.

V frustrating, but also what can ya do?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                  Him being right and privately and publicly dressing her down being the right thing to do are two totally different things. Because it is public, her name might not be known but everyone who knows her will know who she is, family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc. She has been shamed for what she did, after already going through an awful lot. That points to him being one giant cunt of a person.
                                                                                  He's trying to stop other people in the same situation dying. That's his job. As Raoul noted - it's 10% of cases, and probably an older cohort more susceptible to serious adverse outcomes. He will have discussed this with her and how it can help persuade those target people to look after themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

sale agreed since September, they're not able to finish building it though, no progress whatsoever since Dec 23rd I think.

V frustrating, but also what can ya do?
                                                                                    Yikes.

I was hearing about someone I know who got married in November. Moved to Limerick from Dublin in mid-December, staying in a dodgy hotel, ready to move into his newly built house subject to a snag check. Corona shuts everything down and he's now about to enter his fourth month in the bridal suite of that hotel. His life highlight being the Friday night burger special they put on for him in the hotel restaurant.

Comment

He's trying to stop other people in the same situation dying. That's his job. As Raoul noted - it's 10% of cases, and probably an older cohort more susceptible to serious adverse outcomes. He will have discussed this with her and how it can help persuade those target people to look after themselves.
                                                                                      And shaming someone in public would be in my opinion and a lot of people's opinion the wrong way to go about it. How he phrased it not someone else, it does not make it sound like a discussion was had. No one responds well to being shamed or watching someone be. Talking down to people will only turn people against you and that's how he came across. It just does not seem right to have an ordinary individual singled out when thousands have done the same.

Comment

I think you're thinking they say these things off the cuff. They have behavioural experts on staff who probably help craft the specific examples to suit particular groups of people.
                                                                                        I don't for a second believe they have every last word prepared for these daily briefings or that any behavioural expert would have adviced him to say that. You'd want to be literal and logical almost on autistic levels to say that or read it and not find it tactless.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

I don't for a second believe they have every last word prepared for these daily briefings or that any behavioural expert would have adviced him to say that. You'd want to be literal and logical almost on autistic levels to say that or read it and not find it tactless.
                                                                                          Remember that the NPHET staff are exhausted themselves. If a misplaced few words are the biggest complaint we can muster against them, then that's an indication they're doing a very hard job, very well.

War weariness all round.

Comment

Remember that the NPHET staff are exhausted themselves. If a misplaced few words are the biggest complaint we can muster against them, then that's an indication they're doing a very hard job, very well.

War weariness all round.
                                                                                            I doubt there is a physical exhaustion here . If a mental one then there should be a process for communications .
                                                                                            funerals are highly charged and emotional times You dont need a kick when you are down. A bit of controlled sensitivity is not too much to ask. In the hope your woman isnt reading IPB, she was very stupid.

Comment

So, just picking this up across the thread today:

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.
                                                                                              Exempt development regulations.
                                                                                              There’s more to it that just 40sqm. But that’s the main one. Needs to be to the rear, within certain height limitations, distance from boundary if 2 story, and leave a certain area of backgarden remaining.

I can pull the exact working out if you need it.

Comment

My main doubt about NPHET criticism is that it's always just a few sentences until someone follows their own logic to announce "and that's why I think the publicans should be running things". We have a surprisingly ability to assume that public health professionals who have delivered some of the lowest death rates in the world haven't the foggiest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  Exempt development regulations.
                                                                                                  There’s more to it that just 40sqm. But that’s the main one. Needs to be to the rear, within certain height limitations, distance from boundary if 2 story, and leave a certain area of backgarden remaining.

I can pull the exact working out if you need it.
                                                                                                  You're very good, nah, just interested in the general idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Casey playing quite consistant has to be in with a shout at 33s?
                                                                                                    I’ve backed Louis, Zalatoris, Sergio, Day all around 40/1 ew T8. Pick 1 in each section so they don’t meet. If one gets to the quarters you cover the bet. Went for Sergio over Casey but both are playing great and good match players so wouldn’t put you off.
                                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

My main doubt about NPHET criticism is that it's always just a few sentences until someone follows their own logic to announce "and that's why I think the publicans should be running things". We have a surprisingly ability to assume that public health professionals who have delivered some of the lowest death rates in the world haven't the foggiest.
                                                                                                      Or ' we should be aiming for a zero covid strategy, like New Zealand'.

Sinn Fein were testing that one out for a couple of weeks and then quietly dropped it

Comment

Or ' we should be aiming for a zero covid strategy, like New Zealand'.

Sinn Fein were testing that one out for a couple of weeks and then quietly dropped it
                                                                                                        The SocDems one was classic. ZeroCovid and then they updated it a few weeks later to a policy of allowing 10 infections a day. The mind boggles.

Edit: sorry the target was 10 cases, so the policy would fail if there were too many or two few infections. 100 infections bad, 2 infections bad. 10 infections perfect.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-03-21, 10:27.

Comment

The SocDems one was classic. ZeroCovid and then they updated it a few weeks later to a policy of allowing 10 infections a day. The mind boggles.

Edit: sorry the target was 10 cases, so the policy would fail if there were too many or two few infections. 100 infections bad, 2 infections bad. 10 infections perfect.
                                                                                                          SocDems have not had a good few weeks, between that and the lunatic they had standing for them in Strewel-land

Comment

Waffle breakfast anyone?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

WTF?

http://www.nphet.ie
                                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Critiquing the actions of one of their lower profile members isnt an attack on their entire work. Not sure what metric you're looking at to say they've delivered "some of the lowest death rates in the world" but seems fairly wrong. Obvious caveat being if their warnings were heeded earlier it would be lower but i'm sure every health board in every country would have similar grumblings.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

I assume you mean death rates outside of covid?

Waffle breakfast anyone?

This move is quite literally 12 months late.

Comment

well 24 European countries with higher death rates, and we know that EU all measures deaths in approximately the same way. Although I hadn't looked at the numbers for a few months and that third wave did knock our global leadership for six. That's from not listening to NPHET though, the group that situation was criticising for sending out the nasty unfair message that covid can kill you.

Comment

Hitch is on the bridle
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

well 24 European countries with higher death rates, and we know that EU all measures deaths in approximately the same way. Although I hadn't looked at the numbers for a few months and that third wave did knock our global leadership for six. That's from not listening to NPHET though, the group that situation was criticising for sending out the nasty unfair message that covid can kill you.
                                                                                                                        We've done better than many of our larger neighbours. But I think you're being quite generous with NPHET praise to describe the 25th worst in europe as "one of the best is the world".
                                                                                                                        We're just about beating the average in europe. That's about it.

Comment

Do you really need help with this?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X