X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Random question on rules of rugby.

France v Wales, over 40 minutes played in first half, French player kicks for touch to end the half.
    TV3 commentator mentions that 'he came dangerously close to kicking it between his own posts'.
    If he had done so then what happens?
    absolutely nothing

Comment

Seeing as we are suckers for punishment after the anticlimax that was elbows rout of the opposition in the Cheltenham version, I have set up the IPB 2021 Aintree Tipping Comp
      in hopes that we can once more scale the sick illness of last year's competitions once more. This time also with added Daily NAPS Bonanzaside action and no artificial ingredients.

Roll up, roll up etc
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Hitch, RD3 769 cases today. Seems to be the start of the super spreader protest on Grafton street 2 weeks ago. 75% of cases under 45 years old.

They'll only go.up too with similar protests recently and schools getting back to it.

Comment

What are the exact conditions of the Hitch/RD3 covid bet?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            I think though the fact that we are bucking the general EU trend of increasing incidence\hospitalisations is something to cling onto...
            This is because they're only getting the B117 strain now, which we've had since before Christmas. So their existing measures are less effective.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

nah, I'd say we'll have an 800 plus day in there. Its all on the way. You're stuck in your linear corporate box way of thinking, this thing goes to the moon like dogecoin.
              Wonder if I could use this power next to force cases to fall?
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                What are the exact conditions of the Hitch/RD3 covid bet?
                If the number of cases for 11-24 Mar inclusive are > 7748 (i..e greater than the previous two weeks), Hitch wins.

He's currently on 6010 for the first 11 days so running slightly behind but that was a huge number for him today. He's gone from being a 3/1 shot to evens imo.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                  Hitch, RD3 769 cases today. Seems to be the start of the super spreader protest on Grafton street 2 weeks ago. 75% of cases under 45 years old.

They'll only go.up too with similar protests recently and schools getting back to it.
                  Schools didn't cause an increase in Sep-Nov so why would they do so now?

Comment

Nah. It was March 1st weekend was the first good weather weekend and everyone said - fck it.

Plus, the side effect of kids going back is that then adults took advantage to go back to the workplace. But I'd say mainly the good weather.

Just thinking back there and I've no real conceptualisation of January and February happening as months.

Comment

The new variants may be different?
                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Not saying they're the sole cause but it will play a part for sure. I dont think that "UK variant" was here then and its evidently quite rampant since December. Also the fact people seem to give less of a shit now, I see it in the school across from me every day. Before Christmas, kids were collected, parents had masks on, get the kids and go. Now its kids run out into the field beside the school for a play, parents off with their takeaway coffees. Better weather this time of year. All those things combined will see cases increasing some bit anyway

Comment

just let them finish building my house goddammit.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                            I thought you just bought a house?! I was basing my current house search around Kimmage and surrounding areas based on 'well if its good enough for london hotshots'

Comment

This is rapidly turning into the crime of the century. The brits ... never not at it. And boasting about their vaccination levels to make other Europeans feel bad into the bargain. They're some scumbags. From reuters rather than some tabloid.

Two factories in Britain run by Oxford Biomedica and Cobra Biologics are also listed as suppliers to the EU in the contract with AstraZeneca, but no vaccine has so far been shipped from Britain to the EU, despite Brussels’ earlier requests.

Officials have said that Cobra is not fully operational. AstraZeneca told EU officials that the UK is using a clause in its supply contract that prevents export of its vaccines until the British market is fully served, EU officials said.

Comment

McDonald and Dodds is quite a pleasant watch.

Trying to finding something thats just pleasant to watch and not excessively complex. Had to ditch The Expanse after 1.5 seasons trying to work out who was who.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                  I go out for a cycle at about 7.15 every morning. Some amount of tradesman's\builders vans on the road and sneaking into sites.

Comment

Builders outside my window every morning houses flying up.

Pandemic <money

Comment

Neighbours rat them out on Private house jobs innit - where's my sleep-in Joe?

Comment

Four David Jeffreys horses who were slashed by the bookmakers ahead of Monday's racing failed to shine across the cards at Southwell, Kelso and Plumpton.

Looks a little public for a big gamble
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...quintet/190286

two of them are in the same race, which looks a bit strange

Comment

You see this house:

Taking the house itself, and ignoring the price range as unrealistic, how much would it cost to extend that type of house from 120sqm to 160sqm? I might have asked this question before, but I think I asked it in a more general sense than now. I guess it would involve building over the garage and incorporating the garage into the house proper, then building a conservatory-style large kitchen area at the back.

Comment

You see this house:

Taking the house itself, and ignoring the price range as unrealistic, how much would it cost to extend that type of house from 120sqm to 160sqm? I might have asked this question before, but I think I asked it in a more general sense than now. I guess it would involve building over the garage and incorporating the garage into the house proper, then building a conservatory-style large kitchen area at the back.
                                              Not too far off what we're planning to do (except ours is single story extension and a deep retrofit) - we haven't tendered yet but the architect is guiding 200k

Comment

'Foxrock' also seems to be one of those suburbs than is infinitely elastic and knows no bounds, especially in property advertising

Comment

'Foxrock' also seems to be one of those suburbs than is infinitely elastic and knows no bounds, especially in property advertising
                                                  ha yeah. Google Maps unkindly refers to it as Cabinteely, the algorithmic bastards.

Comment

Not too far off what we're planning to do (except ours is single story extension and a deep retrofit) - we haven't tendered yet but the architect is guiding 200k
                                                    oh jaysus. I was mentally thinking 80k at a push. Kimmage it is!

Comment

lots of nails being hit on the head in the last couple of days regarding a financially independent life. I'll throw in my tuppence worth anyway though most things have already been well covered.

For me, the first problem is the language and connotation used. 'retirement' 'a well deserved rest/break' 'time to let the next generation lead the way' as if it's a negative. To retire something, to remove it from use, to make way for something else. It makes people feel negatively about what's coming, like they aren't capable/worthy anymore. Telling people they've earned a rest/break makes them feel that they should be slowing down /doing nothing. So the whole thing is portrayed negatively, hence you get people saying 'I don't know what I'd do with myself' part of that is true, but part is also because they feel that somehow they would become useless or worthless if they don't have a job. The pre-retirement courses may help with that, but we should really be preparing the next generation to see the world differently.

Which brings me to my second point, the structure of how we speak to our kids needs to change. I, like many I'm sure, spent my childhood with the mantra 'work hard in school, get a place in college, work hard in college, get a good job, work 40-50 years, enjoy your retirement'
                                                      like this is supposed to be the blueprint for a successful life, you can throw in get married and have kids as well but that's not intrinsically linked to the point so I'll park it for now.
                                                      So we're hardwired to think that we should be moving up a ladder, earning more and more money to buy more and more things we don't need so that when we hit 70 we can sit back and spend the money on things we aren't able to do anymore. What sense does that make?

We should be aiming for a life where we work hard, of course, and achieve everything that we can achieve. We should also be all doing our damnedest to make sure that the bulk of those achievements are things that WE WANT TO BE DOING. So instead of retirement we aim for financial independence. We don't sit at home wondering what to do with ourselves, we fill our time with things that we want to do, and if we occasionally get some remuneration along the way then that's great. It's not the aim, but we won't say no.

This doesn't appeal to a lot of people, and I completely understand that. The point has already been made about what people enjoy doing and being able to afford to continue to do that while living a financially independent life can be very difficult and even nigh on impossible if you don't get very lucky along the way or make some significant compromises. Some people will find that easy because the compromises are easy i.e. 'I'll give you anything you ask for, as long as it's something I want to give you' others will find it difficult but do it because they value time and independence over material things. Some will never do it because they don't have the opportunity and others because they don't want to sacrifice the material life that they enjoy. To me, that's choice and while it's not financial independence it is a means to an end, and if that's what works for them then more power to them.

Finally, having found that you want to be financially independent but you're worried as to how you'll cope with the lack of routine and the time and all the rest, Hobbies, family, friends, those million things you haven't had time to do, sitting having a coffee watching the world go by, paid work doing something you enjoy. There are limitless options that are available to fill your time once you get through the initial decompression period.

Of course if you're already genuinely enjoying your job then you are already financially independent, you just happen to be getting paid while you're doing something you love

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

tldr You only have one short life, try and spend it doing things you enjoy
                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

ha yeah. Google Maps unkindly refers to it as Cabinteely, the algorithmic bastards.
                                                          Would you not want to be either closer to the LUAS or else the DART? Seem to be perfectly in between with a location like that.

Just thinking ahead to when actual presence in your educational establishment may be required...

Comment

oh jaysus. I was mentally thinking 80k at a push. Kimmage it is!
                                                            Based on what I am anectodally hearing about (a) construction prices (mad) and (b) the availability of people to do the work (fuck all), you would probably be better off taking the extension money and putting it towards a house that is ready to walk into.

Comment

Would you not want to be either closer to the LUAS or else the DART? Seem to be perfectly in between with a location like that.

Just thinking ahead to when actual presence in your educational establishment may be required...
                                                              Its the fecking French school and getting the kids to it that is the killer - from the year after next, one has their school in Foxrock, the other in Clonskeagh. Think we might end up around Kimmage and organising someone to drop the kids to and from school. Or maybe Clonskeagh. Just never heard of Clonskeagh as a place.

Comment

Its the fecking French school and getting the kids to it that is the killer - from the year after next, one has their school in Foxrock, the other in Clonskeagh. Think we might end up around Kimmage and organising someone to drop the kids to and from school. Or maybe Clonskeagh. Just never heard of Clonskeagh as a place.
                                                                i'd take stillorgan over kimmage in terms of location for you. it sits smack bang in the middle of both schools, easy access/exit of Dublin via N11, good bus links and not too far from Luas if required

Edit to add. Clonskeagh is lovely tbh

Comment

aka, 'the back door to UCD'

It is a nice area as Shraaap says, and depending which end of it you're in, quite close to town as it blends into Ranelagh. Suspect it's pretty damn expensive though. The German school is there if you want to switch linguistic allegiance.

Comment

It is a nice area as Shraaap says, and depending which end of it you're in, quite close to town as it blends into Ranelagh. Suspect it's pretty damn expensive though. The German school is there if you want to switch linguistic allegiance.
                                                                    the French and German school are on the same campus

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

the French and German school are on the same campus
                                                                      Presumably with fortifications along the border

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Hows your breaststroke ? Heard ye are getting a bit of rain.
                                                                        Yeah insane stuff. Sydney had 100mm yesterday. 250-300mm over the last 5 days. Worst hit areas will get triple that and break 1,000 in a week.
                                                                        (For reference, Dublin gets about 750mm a year)

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah insane stuff. Sydney had 100mm yesterday. 250-300mm over the last 5 days. Worst hit areas will get triple that and break 1,000 in a week.
                                                                          (For reference, Dublin gets about 750mm a year)

will you have fun creatures like snakes and crocs getting washed into residential areas?

Comment

It is a nice area as Shraaap says, and depending which end of it you're in, quite close to town as it blends into Ranelagh. Suspect it's pretty damn expensive though.
                                                                            €575,000 for this slightly disconcertingly carpeted place in Clonskeagh with a ridiculous number of beds in it.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhou...lin-14/2863070

€600k for shite seems absolutely standard. In fact thats not too bad, or maybe I've just seem too many worse places.

Comment

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...quintet/190286

first one was beaten after half a mile

Comment

€575,000 for this slightly disconcertingly carpeted place in Clonskeagh with a ridiculous number of beds in it.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhou...lin-14/2863070

€600k for shite seems absolutely standard. In fact thats not too bad, or maybe I've just seem too many worse places.
                                                                                I imagine that's a 'rent to UCD students' house by the looks of it

Comment

You see this house:

Garage is about 15sqm, and the would be first floor over is probably 20+ sqm. So you'd be In the 155-160 range without extended to the rear. Could do 40sqm at ground level and avoid planning permission. Construction cost for each is probably similar. Having the garage walls saves a bit of money. 80k is probably about right. 100k if you doing a kitchen.

But the rest of the house needs a lot of work tbh. If I bought that place with a cash windfall, and had only 100k to spend. I'd be doing the garage and the rest of the internals before I was increasing the SQM.

Sound about right.
                                                                                  Guessing its over a shade over 40sqm added. Decent level of existing upgrade.
                                                                                  + a cost multiplier for premium finishers, appreciation for finer things. An Eames Chair.

Comment

wow

AstraZeneca vaccine 100pc effective against severe Covid, study finds

Comment

will you have fun creatures like snakes and crocs getting washed into residential areas?
                                                                                      Crocs not. I think snakes can swim.
                                                                                      The spiders are going nuts looking for the high ground.

Comment

***Not a brick in the wall***
                                                                                        Solictor issued notice to resolve to the other two firms (our sellers and next door buyers counsel) to sort it out within 28 days or we pull contract and sue for expenses/losses.
                                                                                        We can't even go for caretaker role as the legal party we are dealing with technically don't own the property.
                                                                                        And even if we did, legally we cannot hang a photo in the place. Given the FIL needs that would create an inhabitable environment for him and mean we couldn;t properly do anything to make the house "ours".
                                                                                        As we are in contract, we are left a little in limbo, I would honestly walk away if given the choice.
                                                                                        So....now we sue.
                                                                                        Suing for Specific Performance but NOT pulling out of contract.
                                                                                        We talked it over but returning mortage and all the messing with first time buyers stuff, early return fees, having to start from scratch etc.
                                                                                        What this means is vendors are liable for all costs incurred (rent, mortage protection, insurance, storage etc etc etc) so far and all future costs until we take ownership.
                                                                                        They in turn will be suing the other buyers solicitors so in for a fun few months of liability denial and arbitration.
                                                                                        Land registry stuff is at "mapping" stage a few weeks now but seemingly COVID means no one is answering a phone there.

Just once, I'd like something to be fucking easy
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

So....now we sue.
                                                                                          Suing for Specific Performance but NOT pulling out of contract.
                                                                                          We talked it over but returning mortage and all the messing with first time buyers stuff, early return fees, having to start from scratch etc.
                                                                                          What this means is vendors are liable for all costs incurred (rent, mortage protection, insurance, storage etc etc etc) so far and all future costs until we take ownership.
                                                                                          They in turn will be suing the other buyers solicitors so in for a fun few months of liability denial and arbitration.
                                                                                          Land registry stuff is at "mapping" stage a few weeks now but seemingly COVID means no one is answering a phone there.

Just once, I'd like something to be fucking easy
                                                                                          Can everyone one involved not just do a swapsies of deeds, and save themselves a lot of pain, time and suffering for what will be the obvious outcome via the courts anyway.
                                                                                          Or is there an actual legal reason why that can't happen. Or worse yet, is one of the parties better off with the cock up.

Comment

Crocs not. I think snakes can swim.
                                                                                            The spiders are going nuts looking for the high ground.
                                                                                            Sounds like the makings of a decent horror movie. Swarms of spiders and shoals of snakes.

Comment

Sound about right.
                                                                                              Guessing its over a shade over 40sqm added. Decent level of existing upgrade.
                                                                                              + a cost multiplier for premium finishers, appreciation for finer things. An Eames Chair.
                                                                                              Ha it is literally a shade (39.5 sq/m) under 40, as that's where you have to apply for pp, and my neighbour is the ex-head of planning for Dublin CC.

Eames chair already in situ

Comment

Can't imagine spending that much money and living in those. Carpets should be outlawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                  Can't imagine spending that much money and living in those. Carpets should be outlawed.
                                                                                                  With one exception: staircases. Otherwise the herd of elephants effect is amplified.

Comment

Ranelagh residents are outraged by this accusation of blending...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Any update on the new position at work or did I miss it?
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

'morphs'?

'transforms'?

'slithers'.

Comment

Can everyone one involved not just do a swapsies of deeds, and save themselves a lot of pain, time and suffering for what will be the obvious outcome via the courts anyway.
                                                                                                          Or is there an actual legal reason why that can't happen. Or worse yet, is one of the parties better off with the cock up.
                                                                                                          It's solicitors at fault and it's the financial houses that have their risk leveraged against the wrong property so nod and wink solution won't really cover it.
                                                                                                          I offered 3 months ago to step aside for 6 months for 20k or so off asking. Even given our legal docs have amounts attached that wouldn;t work either

Comment

Ha it is literally a shade (39.5 sq/m) under 40, as that's where you have to apply for pp, and my neighbour is the ex-head of planning for Dublin CC.

Eames chair already in situ
                                                                                                            So, just picking this up across the thread today:

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.

Comment

So, just picking this up across the thread today:

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.
                                                                                                              as long as it's to the rear and under 40 sq/m, knock yourself out (within reason)

if you want to do stuff at the front (which I think your garage extension would fall under), then you will need to sell your firstborn to the devil to get permission

Comment

It's solicitors at fault and it's the financial houses that have their risk leveraged against the wrong property so nod and wink solution won't really cover it.
                                                                                                                I offered 3 months ago to step aside for 6 months for 20k or so off asking. Even given our legal docs have amounts attached that wouldn;t work either
                                                                                                                so basically the house is legally unsaleable? Given the speed solicitors work at (this sounds like something that will be measured in years), shouldn't you just dump it?

Comment

For Golf Fans:

New No Laying Up Podcast with Hunter Mahan is great listening. His hot hot run, the Ryder cup, the game and how it affects him, all covered. Really great interview.

Great coffee or walk listening.
                                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

as long as it's to the rear and under 40 sq/m, knock yourself out (within reason)

if you want to do stuff at the front (which I think your garage extension would fall under), then you will need to sell your firstborn to the devil to get permission
                                                                                                                    ah! I did not know that until today.

My dad had some fun with planning. A condition of being a county manager is you have to live in the county you are county manager of, so he managed this rule* into 'you have to be given permission to build anything you want'. In fairness he built a spectacular looking place with that power.

* Edit: legally!
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-03-21, 15:38.

Comment

Totally agree with this - as mentioned before, we're currently looking across a vast swatch of South Dublin, but really focusing on places that are either a walk to the Green Line LUAS or a walk to the DART. A short walk to the N11 QBC is OK too, and this one falls into that category. But there is a big patch of land between the N11 and the DART that just sucks for reliable, fast public transport. Deansgrange in particular.

Our current place went Sale Agreed over the past few days, which is a relief. Made our first bid 'in anger' today Everywhere over asking, the demand side is strong right now!

Comment

Unless this is your dream gaff or has some mad emotional connection you should run away very fast, right now. You're going to be tied up in this for years, not months and its.going to be unbelievably stressful for you, a lot more than it already is. Dont envy you with this. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                          For Golf Fans:

New No Laying Up Podcast with Hunter Mahan is great listening. His hot hot run, the Ryder cup, the game and how it affects him, all covered. Really great interview.

Great coffee or walk listening.
                                                                                                                          Yeah it was very good.

Hack it out podcasts have been decent too. Scott Fawcett is a dick but he really knows his stats. Recent ones with Will Zalatoris and Hovland were very insightful
                                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X