Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Peter O'Mahony hadn't lost the head in Cardiff we'd have a Grand Slam in the bag tonight imo.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Got me wondering,
      if we organised a get-together today would we even make it a poker event?
      Pints and chicken wings. That's all we need.

Would be really nice actually.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yeah it'd be a bit of craic alright.
        I wouldn't mind a €50 tourney as I generally enjoy a bit of live tourney banter.
        Feck all money in it for the organisers really though. Unless they have a bar.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was thinking of the time we just put out a general sounder and ended up with a decent few in some place across from the IFSC at the Busarus Luas stop.

Me, you, dice, sickpuppy, jibbz, Andy, rigger, luckforsome, denny. Has to be more that I cant think of now. Was a great night.

Something like that again would be great when things go back to some mind of normal

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            If Peter O'Mahony hadn't lost the head in Cardiff we'd have a Grand Slam in the bag tonight imo.
            Only one stupid missed touch between us and the championship... in theory
            But we'd 100% have bottled it against England today if there was anything on the line
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Whatever about being an Ireland fan, the capacity of France to self-destruct is spectacular to behold.

Comment

It's glorious madness.

Comment

COME ON FRANCE

Comment

Scenes
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Scenes
                      Brilliant. Daft. Crazy.

Great viewing.

Comment

Whatever about being an Ireland fan, the capacity of France to self-destruct is spectacular to behold.
                        This aged well.

Comment

Tres enjoyable

Comment

I'm exhausted. Felt like a 5 hour match

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                              I'm exhausted. Felt like a 5 hour match
                              I thought you were going to lose by 20 after 55 mins tbh. Great comeback, especially after the red.

Wales just looked to empty completely and were blatantly cheating and time-wasting so fuck them.

Comment

I thought you were going to lose by 20 after 55 mins tbh. Great comeback, especially after the red.

Wales just looked to empty completely and were blatantly cheating and time-wasting so fuck them.
                                So did I tbh. It seemed like we weren't playing with any intensity until the last 10 minutes. Always amazing to win like this, and not something France has been able to do for a very long time.

Comment

Ha ha. It actually brings this back. Lolspurs.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Scrolling back through my liked YouTube vids for some inspiration for the next round of MK and stumbled on this gem from 10 years ago

Jaysus, I was an odd looking guy, 23:20min. Hopefully age has softened some of the edges.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I wonder what we'd all look like then and now, would age be that evident. I see Flushdraw there looking like a kid, and yet if i remember correctly, his actual kid made a guest appearance at the night.

Comment

I was thinking about this some more. It strikes me that most people, at least those not on gold-plated DB pensions (who don't have to concern themselves), think of 'retirement' they tend to think of it primarily in financial terms
                                        i.e.
                                        • How much money do I need in my pension pot?
                                        • When will I pay off my mortgage?
                                        • How much will it cost to put kids through college?
                                        etc. And then you can set yourself some targets and work to achieve them.

But we tend not to think about what we'll do with all that.....time. Imagine. You can get up whenever you want. Go to bed whatever time you feel like. Do whatever you want in between (assuming you have your health and some money, this can be a fairly exhaustive menu of options).

Sounds great. Except that's the exact opposite of how you've spent your life up to now - ruled by timetables, deadlines, schedules, projects. It can be incredibly disconcerting for people to have all that structure whipped away. For some reason, this seems to hit men harder - maybe because they tend to tie their own sense of self-worth in with their job. I can think of at least five of my father's contemporaries who, in their working lives would have been considered 'successful', but withered away and died, essentially of self-neglect within a couple of years of retirement. They literally could not adjust from their old life to their new.

Hence why the question 'what am I going to do with all my time?' should probably be the first one you tackle when thinking of retirement.

'Get a dog' might be solid advice!
                                        Some great comments there and in the follow on.

I wonder if the issue is that a super-solid focus on work means you don't put the same effort into keeping a friends network together as they are get caught up together - and then when work finishes, so does the friend network.

Comment

Great day of rugby.

I went from being one point adrift at the bottom of my SuperBru league to two and a half points clear of the bottom.

The Irish/English game was key. In 3 competitions, I've never not backed Ireland even if I knew in my heart of hearts that we weren't going to win. All the others in the league were always way more practical and often bet against Ireland and I was always slagged off for my patriotic acts.

Today was sweet, cold revenge as I was the only one who went for Ireland and combined with Scotland and France wins also gave me an added bonus point of all three results correct.

Serves the dirty West Brits in the group right.

Comment

Dirty Brits. It's such a great phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                              Great day of rugby.

I went from being one point adrift at the bottom of my SuperBru league to two and a half points clear of the bottom.

The Irish/English game was key. In 3 competitions, I've never not backed Ireland even if I knew in my heart of hearts that we weren't going to win. All the others in the league were always way more practical and often bet against Ireland and I was always slagged off for my patriotic acts.

Today was sweet, cold revenge as I was the only one who went for Ireland and combined with Scotland and France wins also gave me an added bonus point of all three results correct.

Serves the dirty West Brits in the group right.
                                              Post a couple of random tunes that symbolize your glory .

I'm off to bed so no Chumba Wumba

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                Its looking like EU is going to step in due to the UK boasting too much. 18m doses due to leave the EU for UK in April, I wouldn't be betting on too many of those arriving.

It's all fighting over nothing anyway. Ireland will be vaccinated within a few weeks of UK even on current schedule, but everyone is overthinking these small delays. E.g. today UK reached 50% first dose. Ireland will reach that by end of April probably. And then the two countries will become even closer as Irish volumes arrive far quicker than UK schedule, as UK is going to dry up next month. It's an outside bet that Ireland will be finished before UK, but its not too much of an outside bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Check out https://irieclothing.com/collections/irish-republican-t-shirts for some great looking Irish Republican T-Shirts! Get 10% off orders over €/£20 by u...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Jaysus, I was an odd looking guy, 23:20min. Hopefully age has softened some of the edges.
                                                    Ach don't be silly. Everyone thinks they look odd on camera. It's the mirror image of what we're familiar with.

You look like you, no matter who's looking.

It's a really great video, pure nostalgia.

Some craic too that night.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Liricí le Móglaí Bap & Mo CharaProduced by DenzelMastered and mixed by: Ciarán Byrne: https://www.cbsounds.ie/aboutAudio engineering and recording: Chris Fi...

Comment

Ach don't be silly. Everyone thinks they look odd on camera. It's the mirror image of what we're familiar with.

I'm a ride on camera , people just dont get it.

Comment

I enjoyed my first game of credit card roulette that night, was far bigger sweat than the poker.

Showed the vid to the missus and her only comment was, "you used to be skinny?!" lol

Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Hadn't noticed just how loopy Eddie Hobbs had gone https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...-day-kkx53n8r5

He clarified for Naughton, who repeated the Blofeld comparison, that this wasn’t just the work of Schwab but a highly resourced plan that had been going on for “decades”, and now involved the IMF and European Central Bank. RTE also played a role. “Along comes Covid-19 [and] we all imprison ourselves in our homes,” said Hobbs. “We plug in and listen to Pravda every day — RTE producing its scary numbers. They scare the shit out of everybody to imprison themselves at home.” He compared some RTE correspondents to vampires in Hammer horror films. “All [they] are short of was the make-up and the teeth, and it was clearly designed that way to keep people frightened about what’s going on.”
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Some great comments there and in the follow on.

I wonder if the issue is that a super-solid focus on work means you don't put the same effort into keeping a friends network together as they are get caught up together - and then when work finishes, so does the friend network.
                                                              There's another source of time too and that is family. Small children are a hell of a lot of work, even if many of us outsource the creche\afterschool bits. Once they become semi-functioning autonomously (does any parent ever really think their child has grown up?), then that's another piece of your time that is your own again.

On the friends bit, obvious to say but women are generally far better at maintaining friendships.

Comment

E.g. today UK reached 50% first dose. Ireland will reach that by end of April probably.
                                                                We're at ~480k first doses. Do you really think we hit 2.5m by the end of April?

Consider the tragic and ongoing failure that is our current bet before responding.

Comment

Scrolling back through my liked YouTube vids for some inspiration for the next round of MK and stumbled on this gem from 10 years ago

yeah, that was great craic for sure, but i think the one at the jackpot was definitely on another level. so much fun.

Comment

I think though the fact that we are bucking the general EU trend of increasing incidence\hospitalisations is something to cling onto...

Comment

We're at ~480k first doses. Do you really think we hit 2.5m by the end of April?

Consider the tragic and ongoing failure that is our current bet before responding.
                                                                      It's 2m we need as it's only adults that are being vaccinated. Well there's 500,000 vaccines arriving in the next two weeks alone. 1.5 million vaccines arriving (for definite) in April, and we've switched to a first vaccine only model. It'll be tight, but not that tight to get there. On the other hand UK is going to be standing still for most of April.

The issue is we were told all along that it would be April before any volume of vaccines arrived, but then it would nearly all arrive in three months, and we've spent the months of Jan-Mar complaining that it's not April yet.

These are cast iron European produced vaccines also, so we're definitely getting them. Mainly from a new Pfizer production plant.

There's still a bit of doubt, but I think by the end of April we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Comment

Me mammy is vaccinated so the pandemic is over for me now. Phew.

Comment

It's 2m we need as it's only adults that are being vaccinated. Well there's 500,000 vaccines arriving in the next two weeks alone. 1.5 million vaccines arriving (for definite) in April, and we've switched to a first vaccine only model. It'll be tight, but not that tight to get there. On the other hand UK is going to be standing still for most of April.

The issue is we were told all along that it would be April before any volume of vaccines arrived, but then it would nearly all arrive in three months, and we've spent the months of Jan-Mar complaining that it's not April yet.

These are cast iron European produced vaccines also, so we're definitely getting them. Mainly from a new Pfizer production plant.

There's still a bit of doubt, but I think by the end of April we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
                                                                          I like your optimism, i think your being a tad bit optimistic but like it all the same. It's certainly better than all the doom and gloom around at the moment around vaccinations.

Britain fucked up so much regarding their approach to the pandemic as a whole that it really galls me at times to hear people go on so much about their great approach to the vaccine. At the same time, i hope it does go well for them cause it can only be a benefit for us really.

Comment

That was the night a load of us ended up in "Cougars", some almost literally

Comment

I like the optimism (but here's the 'but') but assuming you're correct about delivery, do we have the infrastructure in place to physically jab 1.5m vaccine doses into 1.5 Irish adult arms in the next 40 days?

I think mid-lateJune is when we cross the vaccination Rubicon myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I like your optimism, i think your being a tad bit optimistic but like it all the same. It's certainly better than all the doom and gloom around at the moment around vaccinations.

Britain fucked up so much regarding their approach to the pandemic as a whole that it really galls me at times to hear people go on so much about their great approach to the vaccine. At the same time, i hope it does go well for them cause it can only be a benefit for us really.
                                                                                It'll be very interesting to see how America goes over the next 2 months. They are, with typical US energy, jabbing the fuck out of their population (Biden smashed his target of 100m doses in his first 100 days with 40days to spare).

In my head it's a case of 'look at the States and add 3 months'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

You and Satnav? Now you tell us .

Comment

It'll be very interesting to see how America goes over the next 2 months. They are, with typical US energy, jabbing the fuck out of their population (Biden smashed his target of 100m doses in his first 100 days with 40days to spare).

In my head it's a case of 'look at the States and add 3 months'.
                                                                                    Another few weeks and they'll start getting to the ones who'll refuse to take it. Hard to imagine they will ever get past about 60% take up.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Another few weeks and they'll start getting to the ones who'll refuse to take it. Hard to imagine they will ever get past about 60% take up.
                                                                                      I'd say much higher than that. The conspiracy types are not as many as you think .

I'm in the HH camp. Things will ramp up , it's a priority to get back on track. Big summer season ahead etc.

Comment

The place actually called Cougars on the quays. Or the place in hardcourt st....asking for a friend

Comment

To the makeup of that group; I think there's (a) people who are hard-core conspiracist know-nothing anti-vaxxers and then there's (b), people who are nervous and scared.

I think (b) >>>> (a) and, as they see friends and family being successfully vaccinated, they'll come around and get the jab. The (a) group are a lost cause but at least they can be laughed and pointed at, in much the same way as QAnon fruitcakes. A cautionary tale, especially as they continue to catch covid.

So my guess is adult take-up will be north of 80% as the (b) group comes around.

Comment

To the makeup of that group; I think there's (a) people who are hard-core conspiracist know-nothing anti-vaxxers and then there's (b), people who are nervous and scared.
                                                                                            Yeah, there is a good amount who just don't want to risk being early adopters. In much the same way that I would never buy a playstation when it initially comes out, so they will take it after a couple of months. It's things like the 40% of healthcare workers in NY refusing to take it, that causes me to be pessimistic.

Comment

It's things like the 40% of healthcare workers in NY refusing to take it, that causes me to be pessimistic.
                                                                                              I'm surprised it isn't a condition of employment.

It will be interesting to find out, when we all return to workplaces, who exactly the nutjobs turned out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The place actually called Cougars on the quays. Or the place in hardcourt st....asking for a friend
                                                                                                on the quays

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Hows your breaststroke ? Heard ye are getting a bit of rain.
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Aha! I knew I remembered that night.
                                                                                                    Didn't Mondo from fair city or something arrive with a crew like some A-lister?
                                                                                                    I also think that night finished on some blind holdem in the SE where Hitch have bullets and scooped a monster pot.
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I'm surprised it isn't a condition of employment.

It will be interesting to find out, when we all return to workplaces, who exactly the nutjobs turned out to be.
                                                                                                      I think vaccine passports will be the next big talking point for the headcases.
                                                                                                      I can't imagine large companies opening their doors to staff again without one tbh. Seems like a litigation nightmare. Pubs, restaurants, travel, etc all potentially could go the same

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Aha! I knew I remembered that night.
                                                                                                        Didn't Mondo from fair city or something arrive with a crew like some A-lister?
                                                                                                        I also think that night finished on some blind holdem in the SE where Hitch have bullets and scooped a monster pot.
                                                                                                        All rings a bell. Think i also taught you the foolproof Roulette winning system

Heard a rumour that Luke Ivory and Parkinson are going to re-open the Aquarium top floor with the demise of The Fitz & Jackpot, not sure how true.

Comment

oleras and any other BBQ heads. I can't travel to my usual source for lumpwood charcoal. Any place online you'd recommend to buy from? Probably looking at ordering 20kg+ or a couple of smaller bags.

Comment

Random question on rules of rugby.

France v Wales, over 40 minutes played in first half, French player kicks for touch to end the half.
                                                                                                            TV3 commentator mentions that 'he came dangerously close to kicking it between his own posts'.
                                                                                                            If he had done so then what happens?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                              oleras and any other BBQ heads. I can't travel to my usual source for lumpwood charcoal. Any place online you'd recommend to buy from? Probably looking at ordering 20kg+ or a couple of smaller bags.
                                                                                                              I think they are charging around 17/bag and free delivery on 5+.
                                                                                                              Top quality South African heavy hardwood charcoal.  Restaurant Graded 40mm to 150mm, long lasting and extremely hot burning. No additives. We supply this to professional BBQ chefs in numerous restaurant kitchens. Perfect for the BBQ enthusiast. Price shown is collected price only delivery is extra and is charged according to quantity and location.

I would usually use A room outside but they are out of the blue bags and only have the Big K stuff, and thats too expensive imo.
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I like the optimism (but here's the 'but') but assuming you're correct about delivery, do we have the infrastructure in place to physically jab 1.5m vaccine doses into 1.5 Irish adult arms in the next 40 days?

I think mid-lateJune is when we cross the vaccination Rubicon myself.
                                                                                                                Not sure. But the HSE said they have 10,000 hired vaccinators. It doesn't seem like we are short of peoplepower as they'd just need to jab 150 people each which is not an overtaxing months work. There will undoubtedly be some sort of online booking problems, but they should be quickly sorted. I'd imagine the stories will be about chaos, but the reality will be a calm successful rollout. Like most of what HSE do tbh, they're a very good health system imo with an unfairly bad rap (better health outcomes than NHS for example).

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  Random question on rules of rugby.

France v Wales, over 40 minutes played in first half, French player kicks for touch to end the half.
                                                                                                                  TV3 commentator mentions that 'he came dangerously close to kicking it between his own posts'.
                                                                                                                  If he had done so then what happens?
                                                                                                                  As he automatically kicks it on the full then it doesn't matter (as opposed to a drop kick, which may have a different outcome). Not 100 % sure of this

Comment

Cycled into town with Child #1 this afternoon. Quiet as you would imagine but did seem to be a lot of couples who looked like they were on 1st/2nd3rd dates. Dressed excessively well and nervously interacting.

Is that a pandemic thing? Lockdown 'walking around town' dates?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

As he automatically kicks it on the full then it doesn't matter (as opposed to a drop kick, which may have a different outcome). Not 100 % sure of this
                                                                                                                      Would be v funny if it hit a post and rebounded back into opposition hands though.

Comment

My understanding is you cant score an og in Rugby. So doesnt count.

Comment

Cycled into town with Child #1 this afternoon. Quiet as you would imagine but did seem to be a lot of couples who looked like they were on 1st/2nd3rd dates. Dressed excessively well and nervously interacting.

Is that a pandemic thing? Lockdown 'walking around town' dates?
                                                                                                                          It's called springtime when a mans fancy turns to...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X