Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have noticed a few people abruptly taking leave over the last month or so. Taking leave obviously isn't a big deal but it is notable that in most cases of late, it is usually unexpected. From my little observations this most recent lockdown seems to be having the biggest affect on stress levels and families than any of the others.

I really hope that in 3 weeks there is some concession or relaxing of restrictions in some shape. A little ceding of some restrictions could do so much for peoples general well being.

Comment

Music King round 4 open util about 8pm tonight then a new round will start for the weekend. Some interesting tracks on show so get yisser votes in.

Comment

Very sadly my brothers lovely wife Geralyn passed away unexpectedly on Monday. We are all in a state of shock, poor brother and family are devastated. She was only 62 and they were looking forward to retirement in a couple of years.
        The most genuine lovely human being I have ever met. She lived for her family her friends and her work (at which she was one of the top professionals in the country)
        So many lovely memories of visits to their home, cup of tea in the kitchen having a chat or family get togethers and lots of laughter. I remember her comforting me when my parents passed and the kind things she said. Always there for the biggest and smallest parts of a person's life with a smile and a laugh or a good word which is about as good a legacy you can leave.

Rest in peace Ger

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
          Have noticed a few people abruptly taking leave over the last month or so. Taking leave obviously isn't a big deal but it is notable that in most cases of late, it is usually unexpected. From my little observations this most recent lockdown seems to be having the biggest affect on stress levels and families than any of the others.

I really hope that in 3 weeks there is some concession or relaxing of restrictions in some shape. A little ceding of some restrictions could do so much for peoples general well being.
          Interviews obviously.

Comment

Right. Fuck Cheltenham.

Who are the Dundalk bankers?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Interviews obviously.
              Normally its illness or bereavement which you hear about. Interviews don't mean 1-2 weeks off and staff have been told not to contact or email them.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                Very sadly my brothers lovely wife Geralyn passed away unexpectedly on Monday. We are all in a state of shock, poor brother and family are devastated. She was only 62 and they were looking forward to retirement in a couple of years.
                The most genuine lovely human being I have ever met. She lived for her family her friends and her work (at which she was one of the top professionals in the country)
                So many lovely memories of visits to their home, cup of tea in the kitchen having a chat or family get togethers and lots of laughter. I remember her comforting me when my parents passed and the kind things she said. Always there for the biggest and smallest parts of a person's life with a smile and a laugh or a good word which is about as good a legacy you can leave.

Rest in peace Ger

Sad news Dinekes, Hope all are doing ok. I have to say the absence of a wake is something I really think has impacted rural communities. It’s usually a great forum to get people through the toughest couple of days and for a serious outpouring of support, I really hope we open up soon to give people that extra bit of dignity in death.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Rest in peace Ger

Condolences Ronan, things like this are always difficult, made more so by the times we live in now.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                    Right. Fuck Cheltenham.

Who are the Dundalk bankers?
                    managed to get out of it today, partially with the aid of this enormous 2.50 e/w double I discovered in my account

b365.png

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

GAB had a 16/1 shot come in in Dundalk. Of course, i only saw it his post on twitter as it crossed the line...
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                        GAB had a 16/1 shot come in in Dundalk. Of course, i only saw it his post on twitter as it crossed the line...
                        Come on. GABs dundalk pick on the Friday of Cheltenham is legendary. His reply was to my tweet asking him for a 25/1 poke but I'll happily take 16/1. Fiver each way and a lovely way to round out the week. €106 returned means over €500 profit for the week which will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Come on. GABs dundalk pick on the Friday of Cheltenham is legendary. His reply was to my tweet asking him for a 25/1 poke but I'll happily take 16/1. Fiver each way and a lovely way to round out the week. €106 returned means over €500 profit for the week which will do just fine.
                          I saw your tweet this morning to him and made a mental note to come back to it
                          obviously too late.

Wild swing at Afric here
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

EW punt on Chummie in the lucky last up in the Town.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              EW punt on Chummie in the lucky last up in the Town.
                              FWIW I'm on Ablah after GAB mentioned it earlier. Have him in a double for pennies with the 16/1 lad from earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'd retire from my industry tomorrow if I could too.

But I'd definitely find something else to do. It'd be great to be able to have a job where any money you might earn would be secondary to job satisfaction plus the ability to choose how much\little you want to work.
                                I only really regret the hours and energy work takes up. Could fill the day 10x with other things.

Comment

Jesus christ. Says to the missus, dya want a bet in the last race of the week after a good week. Yeah, number 6 cos its my lucky number. So I stuck a fiver each way on for her. Hosed in at 12/1 easy game tbf lol

Comment

So as alluded to the other day, after much effort I am hosting a fundraiser for an animal sanctuary in Sligo to pay their vet bills and expand the sanctuary. Their expenses are 3k a month or so.
                                    Here it is if anybody feels like donating! https://www.gofundme.com/f/heartston...vli-fundraiser

Completely unrelated and not a raffle at all, if people happen to donate they get a chance to win a prize randomly for every €5 they donate from over 20 businesses.
                                    Vegan Life Ireland on Instagram: "CLOSED 🔒 🎉🎉 Grand Total Raised €6086 🎉🎉 . 💚🎁🎉 VEGANLIFE.IE FUNDRAISER RAFFLE IN AID OF HEARTSTONE SANCTUARY 🎉🎁💚 . Yes! It's launch day! Along with our incredible donors we have put together a fundraiser raffle to allow you guys to win some amazing vegan treats whilst supporting an incredible cause... . Heartstone Sanctuary in County Sligo is a veganic animal sanctuary, run by Nía who tirelessly cares for over 30 resident animals, all of whom have been rescued, many of whom are ex-farm animals. Monthly costs exceed €3000 and more land is desperately needed to enable them to rescue even more animals in need. . So let's raise money for these animals and the amazing humans that help them 😍 To enter, head to the link in our bio and donate €5 (you can donate in multiples of 5 for multiple entries - we will count them!), read the "Important Stuff" section below first! You don't have to be following us but we would REALLY appreciate if you follow @heartstonesanctuary and spread the word either by tagging people or sharing to your story! 👏 . We cannot thank all the businesses who have donated enough, you have all been so incredibly generous, we are so grateful for every donation and it's genuinely heart-warming seeing all these vegan and vegan-friendly businesses coming together for this. Of course, some of our small irish, vegan businesses were the first to get involved and we couldn't love you more for it 💚 . We have a permanent highlight on our page where we have tagged all the businesses donating prizes for you to check out 👍 . 🌿 Important Stuff 🌿 . The winners will be drawn on April 2nd 2021 here on Instagram . To be entered for the raffle 💚 ENSURE YOU DO NOT ANONYMISE YOUR DONATION 💚 we need to be able to add your name to the hat! . 100% of the proceeds from this raffle will go to Nía who runs Heartstone Sanctuary. The hosting website does not take commission. Everything goes to the animals, that's a promise 💚 ."
                                    538 likes, 114 comments - veganlife.ie on March 19, 2021: "CLOSED 🔒 🎉🎉 Grand Total Raised €6086 🎉🎉 . 💚🎁🎉 VEGANLIFE.IE FUNDRAISER ..."

Comment

This really needs some Peter Griffin hurt sounds

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Scrolling back through my liked YouTube vids for some inspiration for the next round of MK and stumbled on this gem from 10 years ago

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Music King round 5 be up and running shortly...get yer thinking/voting caps on!

Comment

Lad who took the Gordon Elliott 'photo has just received a 7 month suspension.

12 months for straddling a dead horse
                                            seems like a bargain by comparison.

Comment

Made the EamoKoftas again last night. Do them about once a month.

Have tweaked the recipe a little and it's worked really well, thought I'd share.

Don't do anything with the tzatziki really, other than grate the cucumber into a muzlin to squeeze dry.

For the koftas I've added chopped coriander, a chopped chilli and a spoon of mint sauce to the wet ingredients. I've added MSG, onion powder and garlic powder (about half a teaspoon) to the spice mix.

Been using the sweetest cherry tomatoes I can find for the Israeli salad. Those piccolo ones work well. Plum tomatoes in Ireland don't have the flavour that I'd guess they have in Israel.

Would recommend.

Comment

@DaveKeating: I keep seeing the line 'EU is having vaccine problems because it was too slow in negotiating contracts' repeated in 🇬🇧&🇺🇸 media. I want to push back on this narrative because I think it's missing...…

Interesting reading

Comment

Benny, if you're up for it I really feel for future games of MK you need to be the consultant when you're not running it. Your ideas are really excellent. Have had a whole lot of fun exploring stuff trying to meet your briefs.

Cracking game, it's evolved into something really cool.

Kudos to Shrap too.

Comment

Kinda mad really that it's something we've invented here.

Comment

Yup, WP Benny. Have enjoyed this one. Had a list of picks left over from the last one that I figured would carry over and the new format and picks torpedoed it which has made it more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I only really regret the hours and energy work takes up. Could fill the day 10x with other things.
                                                        I was thinking about this some more. It strikes me that most people, at least those not on gold-plated DB pensions (who don't have to concern themselves), think of 'retirement' they tend to think of it primarily in financial terms
                                                        i.e.
                                                        • How much money do I need in my pension pot?
                                                        • When will I pay off my mortgage?
                                                        • How much will it cost to put kids through college?
                                                        etc. And then you can set yourself some targets and work to achieve them.

But we tend not to think about what we'll do with all that.....time. Imagine. You can get up whenever you want. Go to bed whatever time you feel like. Do whatever you want in between (assuming you have your health and some money, this can be a fairly exhaustive menu of options).

Sounds great. Except that's the exact opposite of how you've spent your life up to now - ruled by timetables, deadlines, schedules, projects. It can be incredibly disconcerting for people to have all that structure whipped away. For some reason, this seems to hit men harder - maybe because they tend to tie their own sense of self-worth in with their job. I can think of at least five of my father's contemporaries who, in their working lives would have been considered 'successful', but withered away and died, essentially of self-neglect within a couple of years of retirement. They literally could not adjust from their old life to their new.

Hence why the question 'what am I going to do with all my time?' should probably be the first one you tackle when thinking of retirement.

'Get a dog' might be solid advice!

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

GFs dad was "sent" on a retirement course 3 months after retiring. Was a lot of stuff around exactly that, creating structure and purpose to replace what had been taken away. There must be some psychological or psychosomatic internal doom switch that triggers if ye are doing fuck all. "If ye aren't gonna do anything then shuffle off please and get out of the road of them thats coming behind."
                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I was thinking about this some more. It strikes me that most people, at least those not on gold-plated DB pensions (who don't have to concern themselves), think of 'retirement' they tend to think of it primarily in financial terms
                                                              i.e.

But we tend not to think about what we'll do with all that.....time. Imagine. You can get up whenever you want. Go to bed whatever time you feel like. Do whatever you want in between (assuming you have your health and some money, this can be a fairly exhaustive menu of options).

Sounds great. Except that's the exact opposite of how you've spent your life up to now - ruled by timetables, deadlines, schedules, projects. It can be incredibly disconcerting for people to have all that structure whipped away. For some reason, this seems to hit men harder - maybe because they tend to tie their own sense of self-worth in with their job. I can think of at least five of my father's contemporaries who, in their working lives would have been considered 'successful', but withered away and died, essentially of self-neglect within a couple of years of retirement. They literally could not adjust from their old life to their new.

Hence why the question 'what am I going to do with all my time?' should probably be the first one you tackle when thinking of retirement.

You can spot the ones who are going to struggle a mile off. People who already have active lives outside of work, whether is be family, gardening, travel, sport, hobbies or charity work, are usually grand. The rest usually say; I'm planning to do this or that when I retire, take up hillwalking, for example, which always raises the question I'm my mind; why aren't you doing it already.

A friend retired from a semi state last week, on D Class DB pension. She just turned 60, could pass as 50, and has her 40 years of service done. Retired on about €90k, so will get a nice lump and half that for the rest of her life. Mortgage paid and kids out of the house.

She was a brilliant worker. Lived for the job. She be one I'd be concerned about, brilliant pension or not.

Comment

I thought 'post retirement' course were standard now and that you do them in the final run in before you jack in the job to prep yourself for all the time you will have on your hands. I know quite a few people who have done them and said they were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                  8 days to go here before golfs reopen. Everyone chomping at the bit.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Especially those retired dudes
                                                                    the only course I want when I retire is a golf course.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      Scrolling back through my liked YouTube vids for some inspiration for the next round of MK and stumbled on this gem from 10 years ago

Good craic that night, jumped on Roulette table late on with IPB Champ and cleared them out twice. Second time I went up with a bundle yer man behind the counter did the "pretend I'm walking down imaginary stairs and be right back". We looked over the counter and he was crawling across the floor to the back office

Comment

i.e.

My uncle/godfather was a victim of this. He was a successful detective, had an amazing, loving family. His wife is the best funniest kindest person, his son is an Irish athletic champion to boot. He managed sports teams, involved non stop in the community in various ways. One day after he retired he went into the Garda station, had a cup of tea with the lads, went and got a gun from storage and shot himself in the head. Thousands of people turned up to that funeral, I was shaking hands for an hour like a turnstile. A combination of lack of meaning and depression. I also see this lack of meaning in anyone, from people in their 30's that retired early with tens of millions. They will oft lament that they have no purpose, nothing to do, they've just grifted their way to lots of money for financial freedom and sacrificed other things. Their work and money was their life.

Comment

Seems remarkable the amount of people battling cancer etc just wanting a normal life , then there are those healthy as fuck but their minds are terminal. So much fragility . Be grateful if neither effect you right now. I worry about my kids for when they are older They have no time to be bored . I think embracing the boredom is key then you'll enjoy your pastimes more . A single obsession is a killer .

Comment

Wouldn't be so sure about that unfortunately.

"While there are likely to be discussions on the return of golf and tennis, these sports are viewed as less of a priority at present."

Comment

My brothers have started to get the vaccine in the UK already, meanwhile my 70 year old father with a pacemaker can't get one yet.
                                                                              One of my bros had covid befre, vaccine destroyed him again for the last 24 hours, same as having the real thing, unfortunate! Not a good sign for me haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Wouldn't be so sure about that unfortunately.

"While there are likely to be discussions on the return of golf and tennis, these sports are viewed as less of a priority at present."

I'm in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                  My brothers have started to get the vaccine in the UK already, meanwhile my 70 year old father with a pacemaker can't get one yet.
                                                                                  One of my bros had covid befre, vaccine destroyed him again for the last 24 hours, same as having the real thing, unfortunate! Not a good sign for me haha.
                                                                                  Still waiting personally but a good few of my friends have had their 1st jab. Can't wait, and would love to have both jabs before the summer,but it looks like if we don't get it before end of march, unlikely we get it before May.

Comment

Golfed last weekend.
                                                                                    Golfing today.
                                                                                    And tomorrow.

In March. In Alberta.

madness.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

i.e.

The advice does seem to be "The younger you retire you longer you tend to live"

I had a few months there between jobs during covid. It was free time + nothing open. But I filled the day morning to night easily, actually regret not having that level of time to pursue my own things now. Could comfortably do it for 60 years more.

ruled by timetables, deadlines, schedules, projects. It can be incredibly disconcerting for people to have all that structure whipped away.
                                                                                      Maybe it's because I've had very little of that in anything I've worked in? Or maybe it's because poker + trading were just about getting money and never really held much meaning in the first place.

Must actually be quite fulfilling if one if working at an organisational level and is directing large scale interesting work or change. Or helping large numbers of people at a high level. And that's difficult to replicate for a retiree with personal things, alone, outside of an organisation. Even if it should actually have more meaning, internally.

Maybe for some retired people, they've spent so little time sitting quietly in a room alone, that when it's all they're doing, it's overwhelming.

A single obsession is a killer .
                                                                                      Yeah, I think as a person you have to be wary of putting too much stock in anything external, especially any single source, as anything can go at any point.
                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-03-21, 17:12.

Comment

That was a great try.
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Didn't see that coming after the first 20!

Hugo Keenan is some find.

Comment

Crazy stat. Team leading at half time has won the last 27 tests

Comment

Didn't see that coming after the first 20!

Hugo Keenan is some find.
                                                                                              Jack Conan is looking fairly handy as well. First 10 mins here are big

Comment

Thought it was Cheltenham looking at the scoreline

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Jack Conan is looking fairly handy as well. First 10 mins here are big
                                                                                                  Jack has always been a class, athletic 8.

Switched to veganism a few years back and claims it has made all the difference.

Comment

Been working away since the pandemic began, factory work so cant exactly wfh, anyway, back in Jan when the numbers started to go crazy, 3 people i would work closely with all had covid tests, due to close contacts or symptoms. I made an appointment to speak with the company doctor to discuss how safe it still was for me to be on the floor etc, according to my cardiologist i should be cocooning anyway due to underlying health issues and the fact im very fat...covid doesnt like the fatties !!

He agreed to put me off work and we would come back in 4 weeks and see what the numbers are like...that was 8 weeks ago

I have not had 8 weeks off in over 30 years, working since im 18 and ~27 of those years have been shift work (other than 5 months off when i had the bypass)

Anyways...I cant understand how people can be bored, there is just so much to do, not enough hours in the day. Its pure joy being able to start a job and know i dont have to get it done today because i have a week of nights ahead, i can take my time and take as many days as i need to get it done.

Wife and son have both commented how much my mood has improved, not being like an antichrist after a weekend of nights and a total of 10 hours sleep.

Going into bed around 10.30 and getting up 6.30/7...have a relaxing 2 cups of coffee and head off for an hours walk. Getting 10k steps in every day, mind is healthier, soul is healthier and body is getting healthier.

Have also been watching my alcohol intake, has been a tad excessive...Its very easy to convince yourself you deserve something when you know you shouldent be consuming it, justifying it to yourself. Im going to be working this weekend so ill drink tonight...i was working all weekend so ill drink tonight...rinse repeat.

Food, while eating pretty clean, i dont do takeaway or deep fried i do have a massive appetite, always make more than whats needed so i can have a snack that evening...basically 2 dinners. Throw shift work into that and not sleeping correctly is a recipe to pile on the pounds.

Decided to ditch the carbs 4 weeks ago, much easier when i am at home and no shift work, since i stopped eating bread, rice, spuds pasta im quiet happy on 2 meals a day, feel very satisfied on ~1000 calories a day, while not strictly keto, its kind of that with lots of veg and the healthy fats. Havent drank beer or wine either, quiet happy with a few G&T's at the weekend or a few whiskeys, down about 6 or 7 KG's, starting at 130 so it hasn't exactly been a struggle but its working.

Dont think i could have done any of this if i was working, shift deffo takes its toll on the body and having a regular routine is so satisfying.

Whenever i do go back ill be discussing getting a day job or else looking for something else, so much more to life than working. I would grab early retirement with both hands, im only 48 so i have a few years to go yet but having to wait till you are 65 is quiet cruel when you think about it, you definitely have the best years behind you at that stage.

That was a bit of a ramble...basically...I dont like working anymore !
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Wow, 20 minutes to go. Should be safe but will make an interesting finish!

Comment

Wow, 20 minutes to go. Should be safe but will make an interesting finish!
                                                                                                        Bundee is always liable to do that, actually don't know what the point is of picking him as he isn't international class.

Looked OK on first viewing but then you saw the other angle and the ref was spot on.

Comment

Bundee is always liable to do that, actually don't know what the point is of picking him as he isn't international class.

Looked OK on first viewing but then you saw the other angle and the ref was spot on.
                                                                                                          Incredibly unlucky, but it's a clear red. You just have to get lower these days.

Comment

Why didn't England play like this last week Ffs? Penalty count is horrendous and they're a joke tbh. Crazy to think they were clear favs before the tournament and they're going to finish just above Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                              Got me wondering,
                                                                                                              if we organised a get-together today would we even make it a poker event?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Got me wondering,
                                                                                                                if we organised a get-together today would we even make it a poker event?
                                                                                                                Cooking/baking would be more relevant to most I think.
                                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                  My brothers have started to get the vaccine in the UK already, meanwhile my 70 old father with a pacemaker can't get one yet.
                                                                                                                  We were told by HSE and DoH more than a fortnight ago that all bar a few > 85 year olds were vaccinated, that week HSE announced the ambulance service would deliver to the housebound elderly who had not been vaccinated.
                                                                                                                  I'm still struggling to get any information on when or how they are going to vaccinate my 91 year old father.
                                                                                                                  It shouldn't be a supply issue because HSE stated that there would be supply of Pfizer available for this part of the rollout and the Ambulance Service claim to have started delivering to this plan. There is speculation that the total number is between 1500 - 1800 but neither the HSE or NAS will answer any questions on the program neither I or the GP have any indication of whether it will be delivered within days, weeks or months.

Back in mid Feb when the GP first called me to tell me the HSE would not allow him bring the vaccine out of the surgery he told me that he had no faith in the HSE's ability to deliver. He was right I'm afraid it does not give great hope for their ability to deliver a million a month when they come onstream in those kind of volumes a few weeks.

Comment

Allez Shraaaapland! Again.

Comment

Music King round 5 has just gotten underway.

Six players remain in the league and the format has now reverted to two selections from each player including, for the first time iever in MK, an 'artist interview' pick.

So tune in and pep up your Saturday evening!

Voting open until about 8pm tomorrow night.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 20-03-21, 20:30.

Comment

Great start.

Hopefully ze frogz can manage to play for two halves this week.

Comment

Some game this

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X