X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

covid cases go down, covid cases go up...this is becoming tedious
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Although the # in hospital continues to fall pretty much every day so seems like the people getting it now are the right sort of people (Limerick students, anti-vax demonstrators, Pat Mustard's friends etc )

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        covid cases go down, covid cases go up...this is becoming tedious
        Think today's numbers included a big chunk they found down the back of the couch
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Still haven't managed to get vaccine into my fathers arm. Doc isn't allowed let vaccine leave his surgery and he isn't ale to go to the surgery so his name went on a list of referrals to the HSE to be treated at home. After three weeks of trying to find out what was going on the response of HSE was downgraded from there is a plan to there 'will be' a plan. On the 27th Feb Reid went on the media and said all over 85's will have had a jab by 5th. On the 3rd a letter went out to GP's asking them to refer all patients to the National Ambulance Service before the 9th. Meanwhile Reid went back to the media last weekend and said that any remaining over 85's would be vaccinated this week. It's now Wed night and I still haven't heard anything, no one I know who is in the same boat has. Ambulance Service aren't taking calls and the contact form on their website is broken. Maybe they will turn up tomorrow or Friday but I'll believe it when I see it.
          Mind blowing that having had the best part of a year to plan they fail when presented with wholly predictable scenarios that were known about.

We'll see how it works out but I don't fancy these lads chances of being capable of getting it into the number of arms they would need to if supply wasn't a limiting factor
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 10-03-21, 19:52.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Don't watch much football but this psg barca game has got me tense!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Still haven't managed to get vaccine into my fathers arm. Doc isn't allowed let vaccine leave his surgery and he isn't ale to go to the surgery so his name went on a list of referrals to the HSE to be treated at home. After three weeks of trying to find out what was going on the response of HSE was downgraded from there is a plan to there 'will be' a plan. On the 27th Feb Reid went on the media and said all over 85's will have had a jab by 5th. On the 3rd a letter went out to GP's asking them to refer all patients to the National Ambulance Service before the 9th. Meanwhile Reid went back to the media last weekend and said that any remaining over 85's would be vaccinated this week. It's now Wed night and I still haven't heard anything, no one I know who is in the same boat has. Ambulance Service aren't taking calls and the contact form on their website is broken. Maybe they will turn up tomorrow or Friday but I'll believe it when I see it.
              Mind blowing that having had the best part of a year to plan they fail when presented with wholly predictable scenarios that were known about.

We'll see how it works out but I don't fancy these lads chances of being capable of getting it into the number of arms they would need to if supply wasn't a limiting factor
              You're probably more privy to this than me but what I was told from a friend who visited the doctor as vaccines were being rolled out was that allocations of vaccines was first based upon the GP practices with the highest number of people in the cohort being vaccinated.

There was some regional element so all couldn't go to large Dublin practices but effectively a practice with the most amount of 85+ year olds in an area got preference even if the 85+ year olds in another practice were higher risk.

Now you obviously have to draw lines somewhere but I thought, it made more sense for vaccines to be given proportionally to each practice and then allow GP's to make the decision based on some sort of centralised priority checklist with some room for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                Don't watch much football but this psg barca game has got me tense!
                I watched up until the PSG 'penalty' when an absolute joke decision ruined the game.

Hardly close though?

Comment

I watched up until the PSG 'penalty' when an absolute joke decision ruined the game.

Hardly close though?
                  Missed penalty for barca, and about 9 chances where they could have easily scored. Close enough imo!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

You're probably more privy to this than me but what I was told from a friend who visited the doctor as vaccines were being rolled out was that allocations of vaccines was first based upon the GP practices with the highest number of people in the cohort being vaccinated.

There was some regional element so all couldn't go to large Dublin practices but effectively a practice with the most amount of 85+ year olds in an area got preference even if the 85+ year olds in another practice were higher risk.

Now you obviously have to draw lines somewhere but I thought, it made more sense for vaccines to be given proportionally to each practice and then allow GP's to make the decision based on some sort of centralised priority checklist with some room for discretion.
                    There have been issues with the rollout to some GP practices who weren't able to pair up with others but it looks like they have all been resolved now.
                    My issue is with a specific cohort of housebound patients who are unable to leave home to visit a GP surgery. It was a known issue that was raised with HSE well before rollout was planned. The switch from Astra Zeneca to Pfizer did complicate the issue but failing to come up with a plan until now was dire.

Comment

Music King round 2 ups and running...

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-03-21, 21:29.

Comment

Paging GAB . Thoughts on Sneezy foster for top trainer at Cheltenham? Any value ?

Comment

Join the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp for that smooth, refined, barrel-aged flavour. Just asking for this brand at your favourite watering hole will mark you out as a suave, discerning gentleman of taste.

Comment

There have been issues with the rollout to some GP practices who weren't able to pair up with others but it looks like they have all been resolved now.
                            My issue is with a specific cohort of housebound patients who are unable to leave home to visit a GP surgery. It was a known issue that was raised with HSE well before rollout was planned. The switch from Astra Zeneca to Pfizer did complicate the issue but failing to come up with a plan until now was dire.
                            I had that chat with someone a while ago and the most sensible thing to me was that the vaccine be administered by the nurse(s) who are regular attendees to housebound patients.

I suspect there must be close to no housebound patients in the country that don’t need some form of nursing support on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

That would require being logged in with your Google account. Wouldn't dream of it. I pride myself on using all their services without giving them a sniff of personal data.

https://myactivity.google.com/ is as clean as a whistle for me. For most it tells where you have been, what you watch on youtube, what you search for etc.

Nothing to hide just, don't like paying the snakey cnuts off.
                              Last night I was musing a new behemoth omni-service. You actually choose to have it scrape all your online activity (and maybe even supplement it with answering questions about what you like in different areas), and this massive AI with its data crunching and machine learning will straight up recommend all manner of things to you about all areas of life. From TV and films and music to "here's someone on a dating site we think you'd connect to", to arts to explore , hobbies, careers. Pretty much everything.

Our lives are so hit and miss with our extremely impoverished data sets in our heads, limited crunching capacities, and inability to appreciate correlations between non-obvious things. We're blind punters with the sophistication of the "this number is due" brigade.

Brings to mind a Dylan Moran joke:

But most heterosexual people in this country and around the world… meet each other and get together with one another… when they’re totally, totally drunk. Smashed…out of their minds… they could not spell their own face. And they go home with that person. You might spend months with that person… or a year… or you might have a family. This is what happens. This is how you meet. But you wouldn’t buy a toaster when you’re drunk. ’cause that’s too important.
                              Life is too important to be left to people. They need this new service. And at the least it will make for a good book or film about a future when everybody automatically chooses what is suggested, perhaps it's even illegal not to. And then, um, something interesting happens or something.

Comment

Join the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp to appreciate the increased suction power and cordless technology of our latest models. Effortless glide and an adjustable head means more time to spend on your embroidery or floral arranging.

Comment

There are two landlocked countries surrounded by landlocked countries.

Name them.

Then name their surrounding countries.

(I got one)

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

What's the value in it though? Is it not just glorified navel gazing and a waste of science funding at this stage?

The science section of my Google News page is constantly filled with space exploration related stories, when there in so much more valuable research being done that I would be more interested in. We know about as much about the working of the brain as we do about space. A far more worthy territory for exploration IMHO.

I think all the space hype is a plot by Musk to channel science funding his way, so he can spunk it away on shite coin.

If Hotspur hasn't blocked me already, this could be the faithful post.....

Surely the chance to ride a chick from another planet/species is worth throwing hundreds of billions at space exploration...

Comment

Join the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp for precision-engineered tooling that fits snugly in the hand and delivers a satisfyingly close shave. Sure to leave you the subject of many admiring glances, especially when you use our subtle, yet manly, new brand of aftershave.

Comment

Name them.

(I got one)
                                        Something 'Stan.

Comment

If you're plagued by unsightly boils or carbuncles, a dose of the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp will remove the unsightliness, make your skin glow, improve your eyesight, sharpen your memory and regularise your toilet habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Something 'Stan.
                                            The name's Raoul actually.

Comment

Leichtenstein? Plus a Stan or somewhere in Africa I'd guess.

Comment

Name them.

(I got one)
                                                SPOILER
                                                Lichstenstein (spelling?) surrounded by Austria and Switzerland.

Am guessing the other one is one of the 'stan' countries as loads of them are landlocked but no idea which one

Comment

Correct for the first one.

Comment

The IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp is ribbed for her pleasure, scented with a subtle raspberry fragrance and is entirely bio-degradable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Surely the chance to ride a chick from another planet/species is worth throwing hundreds of billions at space exploration...
                                                      I'd wager some space cowboy on here has already done the interspecies coupling, without any interstellar travel.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Kyrgyzstan?
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp enhances swift muscle building and the burning of unsightly fat. It also tastes great and is an effective substitute for all other food groups. Why deny yourself that Baywatch physique?!

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                            Kyrgyzstan?
                                                            That's easy for you to say

Comment

Can't believe I have to do all your marketing for you raoul. this is a freebie. wait till you see the numbers explode.

51782f.jpg
                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

This spamming will continue until rounders breaks cover

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Copper face Jack's is the bar from the 1st Star Wars movie

Comment

The IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp is sourced from the purest organic raw ingredients, grown in micro-lots by small farmers and is 100% certified for a sense of self-satisfied superiority.

Comment

Kyrgastan has a border with China. The other one, I think is
                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                      Uzbekistan

Comment

The IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp is endorsed by a great many celebrities including Donald Trump, Meghan Markle, Gordon Elliott, Spongebob Squarepants, Sharon ni Bheolain and Piers Morgan.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                          Uzbekistan
                                                                          Correct!

Now name the capitals of each Stan for extra points.

Comment

Correct for the first one.
                                                                            This came up on Pointless a bit ago. I also thought
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            a 'Stan
                                                                            was one of them. Maybe
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            Turkmenistan
                                                                            ? But maybe not. Will have another think.

EDIT: Too late... and wrong....

Comment

Until 5 minutes ago I didn't realise that seas didn't count in the designation of landlockedness.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Last night I was musing a new behemoth omni-service. You actually choose to have it scrape all your online activity (and maybe even supplement it with answering questions about what you like in different areas), and this massive AI with its data crunching and machine learning will straight up recommend all manner of things to you about all areas of life. From TV and films and music to "here's someone on a dating site we think you'd connect to", to arts to explore , hobbies, careers. Pretty much everything.

Our lives are so hit and miss with our extremely impoverished data sets in our heads, limited crunching capacities, and inability to appreciate correlations between non-obvious things. We're blind punters with the sophistication of the "this number is due" brigade.

Brings to mind a Dylan Moran joke:

Life is too important to be left to people. They need this new service. And at the least it will make for a good book or film about a future when everybody automatically chooses what is suggested, perhaps it's even illegal not to. And then, um, something interesting happens or something.
                                                                                Definitely read books and short stories with this, where you are assigned the perfect career for you by an AI and that is that. Hell even futurama had it, but some sci-fi books and writing prompts on reddit had it too, love stories about that kinda stuff. Also similar for people, it matches two people that don't know each other together etc, as it knows better than you (plus you'll never likely meet the person most matching for you at any giving time, AI to the rescue).

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                  Uzbekistan
                                                                                  Not landlocked. Has the Caspian Sea no?
                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Sammy Wilson

Fuck me! How dire a state is Unionism in that they don't have anyone better than him to roll out to make their case?

Comment

Not landlocked. Has the Caspian Sea no?
                                                                                      Caspian sea isn't a sea its a lake .

Comment

* A lake with notions

Comment

Caspian sea isn't a sea its a lake .
                                                                                          It's an Inland sea, but still a sea

Comment

This article summarises why I had to take a break from twitter. A hundred idea a day for getting vaccines and blaming the government for not magicing up vaccines. As the article ably points out the vaccines simply don't exist. We'll all be done by end of June anyway. Although smarter money would maybe speculate on it being end of July. August holidays must be a 70% chance now.

Comment

Correct!

Now name the capitals of each Stan for extra points.
                                                                                              You'll be wanting this so:
                                                                                              Note: The capital of Israel is currently in dispute. Wikipedia identifies it as Jerusalem, and for that reason, our quiz does as well. Visiting Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan, is a mark of distinction for any world traveler because tourism is strictly regulated. Bangkok, on the other hand, is the most popular city for tourists in the world. How many other Asian capitals can you locate on this geography map quiz? Challenge your friends to see who can get above 75 percent on the first try!

Comment

The IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp is endorsed by a great many celebrities including Donald Trump, Meghan Arkle, Gordon Elliott, Spongebob Squarepants, Sharon ni Bheolain and Piers Morgan.
                                                                                                Bah too tired to do the rest but they are there

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Uzbekistan
                                                                                                  Was just watching Charlie Boorman By Any Means and they mentioned there, that it was a closed country. Copped it was land locked, and surrounded.

Couldn't bloody remember which Stan it was to answer Raoul though.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

May be a Lao Lao question.
                                                                                                    Do landlocked (and double landlocked as per RD3s question) countries have any automatic shipping rights?
                                                                                                    Like does say Switzerland have an inherent right to designate a French or German port as being a Swiss seaport at which only Swiss rules apply?
                                                                                                    Or does it have to come to a treaty agreement with those counties?
                                                                                                    It would seem a hugely important thing for a landlocked country when so much trade is still via sea.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                      Until 5 minutes ago I didn't realise that seas didn't count in the designation of landlockedness.
                                                                                                      Seas count. Otherwise Poland and Latvia would be land locked. Baltic Sea

It's an Inland sea, but still a sea
                                                                                                      It's a salt water lake.
                                                                                                      It's not connected to the oceans and doesn't have a sea level that changes with the tide.

Comment

Flicking through the Top Workplaces in Ireland 2021 which was released yesterday, I noticed IPB insurance ranked 8th in the medium size category with a website of www.ipb.ie

Pretty surprised to see no mention of the likes of Google/FB/PayPal/Twitter given their presence here.
                                                                                                        ESRI ranked No1 on the small businesses which was my desired location a few years ago but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                          This article summarises why I had to take a break from twitter. A hundred idea a day for getting vaccines and blaming the government for not magicing up vaccines. As the article ably points out the vaccines simply don't exist. We'll all be done by end of June anyway. Although smarter money would maybe speculate on it being end of July. August holidays must be a 70% chance now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...06889?mode=amp
                                                                                                          It's the idiots who say 'Ireland should go it alone' who are the worst. If we did that, then everyone in Europe would do it.

hmmm, I wonder who has more leverage in that scenario; Germany, France....or Ireland. Idiots.

Comment

It appears that everyone is right about the Caspian Sea, legally speaking.

The signed convention gives the body of water a "special legal status" which means it is not defined as a sea or a lake, Russian officials said.

Comment

A map of the internet from 1973. The entire internet, which consisted of 36 routers (squares), and 42 computers (ellipses).
                                                                                                              Locations in text beside the router. MIT, Harvard, Stamford, UCLA, etc

arpanet-map-1973.png

Comment

I think the main thing that prevents it from being a sea is its total lack of connection to other seas so that you cannot sail on from it into another sea and onwards into the great blue yonder

Comment

Flicking through the Top Workplaces in Ireland 2021 which was released yesterday, I noticed IPB insurance ranked 8th in the medium size category with a website of www.ipb.ie

Pretty surprised to see no mention of the likes of Google/FB/PayPal/Twitter given their presence here.
                                                                                                                  ESRI ranked No1 on the small businesses which was my desired location a few years ago but no luck.
                                                                                                                  Smells like a sort of advertorial paid promotion thing rather than anything meaningful.

Comment

It appears that everyone is right about the Caspian Sea, legally speaking.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the Sea of Tranquility is really a sea at all.

Comment

Yeah, you basically have to pay for certification. Could still be a crap place to work.
                                                                                                                      Trawling glassdoor.ie for disgruntled employee comments is more fun.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It's a junket. Businesses pay them to get listed.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I think the main thing that prevents it from being a sea is its total lack of connection to other seas so that you cannot sail on from it into another sea and onwards into the great blue yonder
                                                                                                                          Indeed! The Med and the Black Sea are only just about seas, but they do have that connectivity (straits of Gibraltar, Bosphorous) to other seas so they count.

What else can we argue about that may or not be now?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X