X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Looking for BBV advice.

Guy I used to work with (immigrant, may be relevant later), is a really good, bright worker. I helped him out a lot in old job. I spoke to him at the w/e.

His boss told him last year that he was putting him forward for promotion - he asked what he needed to do, boss said don't worry, I'll take care of it for you. The year proceeds, guy is working away, doing great work, naively assumes the promotion process is working away. End of year rolls around and the boss rings him up and says, sorry you didn't get the gig, great year though, keep up the good work and you're in a great position for next year. So my guy asked what the reasons given were and the boss vaguely said something about his platform for promotion being unclear.

My guy thought about this for a week, went back and asked him what this meant. Boss says it means what it says. My guy says well you were the one nominating me, what did the nomination form say? Boss says there was no form, this was a verbal process.

Alarm bells now ringing all over the shop for my guy. He waits a couple of weeks and the promotion list is announced. He finds one of the guys promoted from his grade, within his own area and goes to have a chat with him. This fella is very forthcoming and delighted to help explain the process that he successfully navigated. He explains that you have to fill out a very detailed form, he is delighted to share his form with my guy and explain all the ways that the boss helped guide him through the process. My guy then also found the guy who manages the promotion process and he confirmed all nominations must be writing and there is no such thing as a verbal nomination.

TLDR: boss told my guy he was up for promotion and this was not true, went so far as to give him fake feedback. He is asking me for advice. His biggest concern is this will be used against him if he raises it and that his visa status will be affected (this is a bigger concern for him than the promotion). He's fairly self-effacing, wouldn't be one for confrontation.
    Anyone any experience of anything like this? I think my guy was pretty naive and trusting on the one side but this is pretty scummy behaviour imo.
    Johnny Sack kept stringing Paulie along, telling him Carmine really valued the information he was leaking on Tony's affairs, and would look after him when it came to the crunch, when in fact Carmine barely knew who Paulie was.

Paulie's naivety was the main issue here.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      The brit royal family are some bunch of scumbags. that William lad seems particularly toxic to be prioritising an institution that played a decently sized role in killing his mother, over his own family. I was reading - and I don't make a habit of reading royal news - that he has the most woeful temper over really minor things, which seems a sad way to be at 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Johnny Sack kept stringing Paulie along, telling him Carmine really valued the information he was leaking on Tony's affairs, and would look after him when it came to the crunch, when in fact Carmine barely knew who Paulie was.

Paulie's naivety was the main issue here.
        I doubt he's ever seen the Sopranos but that is a truly excellent analogy. WP

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sounds like a load of smoke was blown up his ass. To what end is anyone’s guess.
          Unfortunately it also sounds like kicking up a fuss only had the potential to hurt him.

Comment

@RD3

Seems like poor/terrible management style to take advantage of an employee like that and surely one that ultimately works against himself.
            I wonder would his intention initially have been genuine and then he got a phone call and the fix was in for the other guy. Now he finds himself unable go through with the real process with our guy and just plays him along.

Probably just a prick though.

Comment

didn't sound like it (although I am getting this secondhand) as he managed to get his successful candidate nominated via the correct process
              ah, my bad, missed that finer point.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The stock pot really is a game changer in terms of soup making.

Edit: the pot itself, not making stock. ain't no one got time for that.

Comment

I'm always getting the sense that you're in some really worrying whatsapp groups

Comment

Tiger was always a dick but got a pass. Bryson acts like a dick sometimes. He gets a pass. Only fair chimps.

I like Reid too. Guess I enjoy the villains especially in the most pedantic sport that there ever has been. Although I love it.

In football every week the cheaters are idolised . When I say cheaters I mean everybody except Messi

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

On the drops point, I think there's a correlation between no of drops and frequently being miles offline from the tee. He definitely takes advantage where possible but I wouldn't have him in complete angleshoot territory like Reed always seems to be. I'll 100% agree that he has arsey tendancies and it's fairly well documented that he's had more that a few bad moments on camera. It's funny to see how polarizing he is tbh.

Compared to Rory you're looking at two completely different athletes in terms of mentality right now. Bryson is hungry and buzzing to try new things all the time. Rory looks completely disillusioned and desolate no matter what he tries. Almost scared or tentative. For me there's massive anxiety in his body language. Each cracking shot can be followed by a missed short putt or his scoring wedges don't put him in expected scoring positions. Like on 6 yesterday he dropped two straight in the drink from the tee, then proceeds to pure it to close range for what would have been a tremendous eagle. Despite all this he's still getting decent finishes that most pros would be happy enough with. His comment about needing a new direction might be a turning point, interesting to see where he goes.

Rickie Fowler is even worse in being away with the fairies but he won the game of life if you ever saw his missus. Spieth has come back from the abyss and looks like he's started challenging again. Rory could do it too as could Rickie. Westwood is 47 and in better shape than he ever was, playing some great golf at times. Doesn't kill himself to play in every event and backs himself without having a recognized caddy. Rory will find what works for him again but I think he'll do a fair bit of soul searching to get there. Just maybe not quite the heights of the past. Fwiw, Morikawa is probably my favorite of the younger players on tour and an all round good egg.
                      If I was Rorys caddy yesterday i would have said , we are in this , let Bryson take the hole 6 glory and we get this done. The 2nd ball in the lake was on the caddy. He should have clocked Rory there . He needs to get a stronger caddy. Numerous brain farts to mention . It's not all bottle a lot of it is just stupid decision making

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                        @RD3

Seems like poor/terrible management style to take advantage of an employee like that and surely one that ultimately works against himself.
                        I wonder would his intention initially have been genuine and then he got a phone call and the fix was in for the other guy. Now he finds himself unable go through with the real process with our guy and just plays him along.

Probably just a prick though.
                        I don't know the manager dude, but it does seem like prickish behaviour as described.

I think shraaaaapppppp is right though and he's just going to have to accept it as a harsh lesson learned.

Comment

Always keep career sensitive written correspondence and take most verbal interactions with a pinch of salt and ALL boozey correspondence/conversations as mostly BS .

Comment

Possibly the manager is just weak and couldn't find the words to disappoint the guy early ('sorry, I have a preferred candidate, you are not him/her; these are the reasons why I won't be recommending you this year...'), so strung him along hoping it would all go away/kicked the can a few months down the road?

I can't help but make excuses for people though, always prefer to assume simple poor judgment over something more malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If I was Rorys caddy yesterday i would have said , we are in this , let Bryson take the hole 6 glory and we get this done. The 2nd ball in the lake was on the caddy. He should have clocked Rory there . He needs to get a stronger caddy. Numerous brain farts to mention . It's not all bottle a lot of it is just stupid decision making
                              Pretty sure Rory pull hooked both of those and wasn't trying to monster up his max distance. Even so you're spot on about the brain farts. I think if he was reined in a little bit at times he might build back his consistency and eventually his belief. As a kid he used to bounce down the fairways with that unmistakable gait and energy. It's been absent for a long time. Who knows maybe the Ryder Cup could re-invigorate him.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Always keep career sensitive written correspondence and take most verbal interactions with a pinch of salt and ALL boozey correspondence/conversations as mostly BS .
                              Sounds like simple advice that everyone should know but don't. This is 100% on the money. Get it in writing or it never happened. Same rule applies to cover your arse scenarios also.

I don't know the manager dude, but it does seem like prickish behaviour as described.

I think shraaaaapppppp is right though and he's just going to have to accept it as a harsh lesson learned.
                              It is a harsh lesson but that sort of tomfoolery is not uncommon from chatting with people on sponsored visas. They're often underpaid relative to the market and live in fear of losing their status.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

I can't help but make excuses for people though, always prefer to assume simple poor judgment over something more malicious.
                                It's usually a decent enough assumption.

Comment

It's usually a decent enough assumption.
                                  The part I find a little odd is that if the promotion process is so structured and the employee in question is there long enough how they don’t already know about this.

Generally if something is as structured as that, it will be common knowledge between staff.

No job I’ve had has presented promotions via sponsor in such a structured format, generally it’s very opaque so they can smuggle in whatever good or badrationale they want.

Comment

With the Visa status he is a bit screwed (apart from going to get another job). Can he apply for the visa that doesn't rely on being sponsored yet? Worth looking into. Otherwise I'd be kicking up a fuss, as it stands he has more to lose than gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                      With the Visa status he is a bit screwed (apart from going to get another job). Can he apply for the visa that doesn't rely on being sponsored yet? Worth looking into. Otherwise I'd be kicking up a fuss, as it stands he has more to lose than gain.
                                      That was pretty much his position, I'd personally be more inclined to fight it but I can see his point. Think he was hoping I would have some magic fairy dust to make it all OK!

Comment

Interesting looking documentary on BBC2 tonight at 9pm about the 1970 Miss World contest.
                                        Concerted campaign by the fledgling Womens Lib movement to attack it, including flour bombing the compere Bob Hope.
                                        Scandal over the judging with allegations that the Granadian winner was helped by the Grenada PM being one of the judges.
                                        And an interesting double entry from SA, with Miss South Africa being white and Miss Africa South being black.

Comment

Speaking of fighting it. I got an email from my estate agents saying my rent had gone up a couple of months ago and I'm in arrears. I never received the notification letter myself and after a bit of back and forth, some legislation quoting and ringing of An Post to show they had no proof it was delivered to me, my rent will now go up to that amount in July instead (and they are not taking advantage that by then they could raise it even higher), an easy €500 saved instead of rolling over. Happy with that of a Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                            Possibly the manager is just weak and couldn't find the words to disappoint the guy early ('sorry, I have a preferred candidate, you are not him/her; these are the reasons why I won't be recommending you this year...'), so strung him along hoping it would all go away/kicked the can a few months down the road?

While the bolded bit above is a nice way to think, I just can't accept it in this situation.

If we are taking the Duke's mate at face value, the manager told the Duke's mate that he was putting him forward for the promotion. There is no mention that the employee went looking for or applied for the promotion.

It comes across that the manager is a bit of a cunt and was stringing the employee along to get a solid years work out of him.

If I was the employee, I'd be gone out the door in a flash (if there wasn't a work visa in play) and I'd be making it known why in the exit interview.

As it stands, I think the employee has to suck it up unless he can somehow work another job with the constraints of the working visa.

It's a really shit position to be in.

Comment

If you win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp, such mundane concerns as promotion will be beneath you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Depending on the delivery route. Could be 30-60mins after they are poured before they get to you. Then you need time to drink your way to the to 4th one. The 4th is is at lease 2 hours old by the time you get to it, maybe longer.

The image example I gave was an extreme one. But that was 45 pints siting on the bar waiting to go out. Each in 9 pint containers. The absolutely state of them.

149680643_225630385943867_3156278589605040197_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=instagram.fsyd4-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=Xrai4NCph-EAX8WAAGv&oh=6886d8ec6c28591fa3dd092559e447b0&oe=606D6BAB.jpg

We're not talking about draught cans. Talking about bars sending guinness out from the tap in all manner of containers.
                                                The fact cans these days are fine reinforces the point. If a can is better than idle guinness in a milkcake cup, then what's the point?

Somebody, Lazare I think, mentioned supporting the local. That's valid imo. But don't need to lower you self to the gutter to do so.
                                                Ah ok. I thought you meant the actual takeaway from the pub itself could be hours old.

Comment

Whats with the rise in AIB shares - did someone recommend them in the paper over the weekend or something?

lBHl9Gfl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

On the drops point, I think there's a correlation between no of drops and frequently being miles offline from the tee. He definitely takes advantage where possible but I wouldn't have him in complete angleshoot territory like Reed always seems to be. I'll 100% agree that he has arsey tendancies and it's fairly well documented that he's had more that a few bad moments on camera. It's funny to see how polarizing he is tbh.

Compared to Rory you're looking at two completely different athletes in terms of mentality right now. Bryson is hungry and buzzing to try new things all the time. Rory looks completely disillusioned and desolate no matter what he tries. Almost scared or tentative. For me there's massive anxiety in his body language. Each cracking shot can be followed by a missed short putt or his scoring wedges don't put him in expected scoring positions. Like on 6 yesterday he dropped two straight in the drink from the tee, then proceeds to pure it to close range for what would have been a tremendous eagle. Despite all this he's still getting decent finishes that most pros would be happy enough with. His comment about needing a new direction might be a turning point, interesting to see where he goes.

Rickie Fowler is even worse in being away with the fairies but he won the game of life if you ever saw his missus. Spieth has come back from the abyss and looks like he's started challenging again. Rory could do it too as could Rickie. Westwood is 47 and in better shape than he ever was, playing some great golf at times. Doesn't kill himself to play in every event and backs himself without having a recognized caddy. Rory will find what works for him again but I think he'll do a fair bit of soul searching to get there. Just maybe not quite the heights of the past. Fwiw, Morikawa is probably my favorite of the younger players on tour and an all round good egg.
                                                    Angleshooty.
                                                    Arsey.
                                                    Cringey (the post round interview was gas stuff).
                                                    The signing the hat with his right hand, and then backwards with his left.
                                                    The nonense that comes out of him, its all a horrendous act to cover the cockheadedness.

I agree re Rory and Bryson, Rory needs to step back. He is still the best golfer on tour (outside 8ft).

Rickie's whole thing is crazy, putting deserted him, he never had the distance or proximity with that flatter swing he has, and now he can't putt. He did make a comment about "trying to be the best husband he can be" which seemed loaded in an interview last week. You'd hope he gets it back, Rickies a good dude.

Morikiawa is a quality golfer, I think he has the best proximity of the "best" guys. Decent human too. Definitely in the mold of DJ in boringness however.

I understand the conflict between being boring, and Bryson being anything but boring, but Bryson could be not boring and not a prick. It's possible.
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

RD3's naive buddy needs to remove as much risk as he can before going on the offensive.

Try and shore up visa if possible.
                                                      Try and interview and successfully get offers in other places.
                                                      Try and get it the other promoted buckos words and explanation of the process in writing.

Anything that will give him leverage, proof and mitigate his downside.

Once he has removed as much risk as possible, there are a bunch of options open to him.

If he can't remove enough risk to make himself comfortable to go on the offensive, then it's a situation where he begrudgingly lives with it. Which can ruin a man. But it doesn't seem like it will this man.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Although calling him naive is unfair actually. Thats results based thinking.

Comment

On the topic of promotion, what should you be working off as a barometer of progress?

A guy I worked with until recently was really firm about every 2 years needing to be promoted and if I'm not he'd move on.

Now that's obviously not linear, you can't expect to move on from an entry level role in 2 years and move on from a director role every 2 years.

I just find it a difficult thing to gauge outside of what you get from your review.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                            On the topic of promotion, what should you be working off as a barometer of progress?

A guy I worked with until recently was really firm about every 2 years needing to be promoted and if I'm not he'd move on.

Now that's obviously not linear, you can't expect to move on from an entry level role in 2 years and move on from a director role every 2 years.

I just find it a difficult thing to gauge outside of what you get from your review.
                                                            Moving every 2 years defo best chance of uplift.
                                                            If money is the goal, then thats the route.
                                                            Especially in any role that is reasonable demand.

"Progress" outside of money (in terms of work) is super subjective. Who knows.

Generally though, I tend to measure my own progress by the ability to enact my own agenda. The more I get that freedom, the more I feel I have progressed.

Comment

It's is probably a combination of three primary things:
                                                              1. Autonomy. Am I given the space to work independently and without some micro-manager\project manager breathing down my neck every 5 minutes?
                                                              2. Challenge. Is the work itself complex and interesting?
                                                              3. Reward. Are my efforts\accomplishments properly rewarded? People will have different measures of 'reward' here but for most it's $$$$$$$$

People will of course prioritise these differently. Ideally they should be complementary. If you're only interested in (3), you will very likely hate your work.

Comment

I assume there's a point in many peoples lives where they feel technology starts to get ahead of them with less understanding of it from that point and more just acceptance. This NFT craic feels like the start of that for me
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Completely depends on the place. There is no upwards in my workplace for instance. Above me is engineering manager, above him is owner of company. One or two of each will only ever exist and they've been there for a decade or two. Some places have a million levels so that seems more reasonable. Raoul's list seems good. I put more emphasis on the first two than the third. A great work life balance with autonomy, not having to wear a suit and good pay, vs shitter work life balance and maximised pay with an impactful tie.

Comment

Having to wear a suit is definitely a sign of being in the wrong workplace. I wonder if a lot of banks in particular create levels precisely to have promotion levels to promote to.

Comment

Must be extra hard for Davys to manage the fallout given that feeling you are a privileged member of society is part of their recruitment minimum qualifications requirements.

Comment

As I get older my work ambitions become simpler:

1. Don't get promoted
                                                                        2. Try to get as much extra money as possible without getting promoted or having more responsibility
                                                                        3. Aim to be left alone and not have people bothering me

Comment

Since everybody can ask random questions today. I am torn between buying an apartment/house to live in or keep renting and invest in ETFs. I was thinking of moving before but that'll be put on hold for a few years, if I even do. Are there any calculators specific to Ireland to show returns on each? I want to see how deemed disposal affects things and if investing can be as good or better than buying. Taking into account unrecoverable costs etc. My rent is decent compared to the going rate so no problem with it atm (~€900 for a one bed in dublin city), happy with where I live but don't want my money sitting doing nothing.

If I buy I'm not sure what kind of place I want to get. I'd like to keep the loan to max €300k and can put up to €200k as a deposit for a max of €500k. Or I can get a cheaper place and either pay it off fast or invest the remainder of the money, so that would be paying off an apartment I guess. Just rubber-ducking anyway.

Comment

Just a reminder that there's 2 hours left until deadline for round 1 Music King 2021 entries. Still plenty of time to enter even if your name wasn't down in the first flush of enthusiasm for the game..

Videos are streaming in... some great ones so far I have to say.

b.

Comment

Looking for BBV advice.

Guy I used to work with (immigrant, may be relevant later), is a really good, bright worker. I helped him out a lot in old job. I spoke to him at the w/e.

His boss told him last year that he was putting him forward for promotion - he asked what he needed to do, boss said don't worry, I'll take care of it for you. The year proceeds, guy is working away, doing great work, naively assumes the promotion process is working away. End of year rolls around and the boss rings him up and says, sorry you didn't get the gig, great year though, keep up the good work and you're in a great position for next year. So my guy asked what the reasons given were and the boss vaguely said something about his platform for promotion being unclear.

My guy thought about this for a week, went back and asked him what this meant. Boss says it means what it says. My guy says well you were the one nominating me, what did the nomination form say? Boss says there was no form, this was a verbal process.

Alarm bells now ringing all over the shop for my guy. He waits a couple of weeks and the promotion list is announced. He finds one of the guys promoted from his grade, within his own area and goes to have a chat with him. This fella is very forthcoming and delighted to help explain the process that he successfully navigated. He explains that you have to fill out a very detailed form, he is delighted to share his form with my guy and explain all the ways that the boss helped guide him through the process. My guy then also found the guy who manages the promotion process and he confirmed all nominations must be writing and there is no such thing as a verbal nomination.

TLDR: boss told my guy he was up for promotion and this was not true, went so far as to give him fake feedback. He is asking me for advice. His biggest concern is this will be used against him if he raises it and that his visa status will be affected (this is a bigger concern for him than the promotion). He's fairly self-effacing, wouldn't be one for confrontation.
                                                                              Anyone any experience of anything like this? I think my guy was pretty naive and trusting on the one side but this is pretty scummy behaviour imo.
                                                                              I hear stories like this all the time, both the promising people progression with no intention and using peoples visa status to handcuff them in.

Nice way to ensure constant staff turnover and tarnishing the companies name. Ex-pat communities in ireland are very tight, this type of thing spreads.

Tell him to wait it out till he gets his stamp 4 it’s a pain to change company halfway through the 2 years required and tough to get someone to take him on.

It’s not nice advice that he needs to just suck it up for a year but getting the visa finalised is pretty much number 1 priority for non Europeans. It is practical advice however.

He will have vultures like myself circling as soon as his LinkedIn moves to 18 months in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                If I buy I'm not sure what kind of place I want to get. I'd like to keep the loan to max €300k and can put up to €200k as a deposit for a max of €500k. Or I can get a cheaper place and either pay it off fast or invest the remainder of the money, so that would be paying off an apartment I guess. Just rubber-ducking anyway.
                                                                                lads, how much are we spending on meat?

Lentils is clearly the way to go.

With that type of asset base, I'd just maybe go for a place you like rather than try to overthink it.

Comment

Have you checked if it is too late to not have children? :P And don't let people put you off avocado toast. Yeah I guess, buy a place I want if I buy one, so that just puts it down to calculating investing vs home returns and pros/cons. I like renting, I'm in the centre, it's flexible, I can move & can change country easily. Having a place of your own is obviously awesome. Valuations of stocks seem very high right now, but I don't see the mechanism that they will drop if even Corona has not slowed them down? Plus time in the market vs blah blah blah. Really curious how much deemed disposal slows down investing gains.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-03-21, 17:43.

Comment

lads, how much are we spending on meat?

Lentils is clearly the way to go.

With that type of asset base, I'd just maybe go for a place you like rather than try to overthink it.
                                                                                    Yeah a tad surprised too given avocados aren't cheap. No brunching over the past year which probably has help Tar substantially.

I'm looking forward to an Egg's Benedict myself

Comment

Was playing air drums to Rush in my car but a drumstick flew out the window. Had to switch to Def Leopard

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                        I assume there's a point in many peoples lives where they feel technology starts to get ahead of them with less understanding of it from that point and more just acceptance. This NFT craic feels like the start of that for me
                                                                                        Sega Megadrive was my Waterloo

Comment

I think Tar's sole reason for posting here is to make us carnivores hate our lives.

Any fellow vegans caught in the crossfire are collateral damage.
                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                            I think Tar's sole reason for posting here is to make us carnivores hate our lives.

Any fellow vegans caught in the crossfire are collateral damage.
                                                                                            I remember that time you tried to eat veggie for a hot minute. I'm back to haunt you. Give up your aul sins.
                                                                                            And now that I have found a vegan blue cheese that tastes like the real thing, I don't even have a sad life any more.
                                                                                            Join us in the commune brother, Hotpsur makes fresh lemonade on Tuesdays.

Comment

A Tuesday lemonade
                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Watching Australian MasterChef at the moment as mellor recommended it ages ago. It is indeed in a whole different ballpark to the staid British version.

Australia comes out of both shows so well compared to the Brits (both shows are originally British). There's this fake niceness in the brit ones and manufactured emotion moments, but in the Australian ones you get this genuine feeling that everyone is in it together. That, if need be, the hosts would let some of the guests kip on their couch.
                                                                                                Tried watching the Australian Masterchef a few months ago and found it unbearable. It's essentially a reality show with a tiny bit off cooking. Everybody seemed to have a sob story and there were tears galore when they finally got their hands on the "magic" apron. Actually found it completely fake compared to the British version which is wham-bam-thank-you-mam a cooking show, knows it and doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't.

Perhaps i needed to give the Aussie version more of a chance and it gets better after the preliminary stages though.

Comment

Are you not just paying off someone else's mortgage when renting?

On the promotion thing, an internal spot has opened here due to a retirement. I'd be operating at the next level of management if I took it. No real increase in money.

The thing is the position is an absolute poison chalice. Poor team, constant firefighting, under resourced, have to oversee a new 3 year project, with unrealistic timelines and goals, while continuing the challenging enough BAU stuff. The person currently in the role has been doing it for 15 years and has developed a unique skillset and knowledge, that would realistically take years to match. No succession planning done either. Whoever takes up the position is on a hiding to nothing.

Surely the probability of success (by any objective measure - avoiding a nervous breakdown for a start) in any prospective role, should form part of your evaluation criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Tried watching the Australian Masterchef a few months ago and found it unbearable. It's essentially a reality show with a tiny bit off cooking. Everybody seemed to have a sob story and there were tears galore when they finally got their hands on the "magic" apron. Actually found it completely fake compared to the British version which is wham-bam-thank-you-mam a cooking show, knows it and doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't.

Perhaps i needed to give the Aussie version more of a chance and it gets better after the preliminary stages though.
                                                                                                    I quite like the American one.
                                                                                                    It's unintentionally hilarious and has some semi decent cooking tips in each ep.
                                                                                                    The fawning at Ramsey breaking down a chicken or some other mundane task is a riot
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've heard the move every two years bit before but as somebody doing the hiring, looking at a CV with a change of role (or even company) every two years generally puts me off a potential candidate.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm thinking, they'll take about 6 months to fully settle in & learn the role fully so I'm realistically going to get 18 months solid work out of them before I need to go through this process again.

I get that people don't stay with the same role/company/profession for life anymore (or very rarely) like they did before but I just think two years is too short a time span.

That said, I've probably stayed in my current role too long (11.5 years) and am currently looking to change. The decision on whether the move will be internally or externally remains with my employer for the minute but that will soon change if something doesn't happen very soon.

Comment

Having to wear a suit is definitely a sign of being in the wrong workplace. I wonder if a lot of banks in particular create levels precisely to have promotion levels to promote to.
                                                                                                        Maybe I have become institutionalised but I am quite OK with wearing a suit. I'll admit my place can be a bit anal about it but it does make us stand out and not for the wrong reason.

Comment

On the promotion thing, an internal spot has opened here due to a retirement. I'd be operating at the next level of management if I took it. No real increase in money.

The thing is the position is an absolute poison chalice. Poor team, constant firefighting, under resourced, have to oversee a new 3 year project, with unrealistic timelines and goals, while continuing the challenging enough BAU stuff. The person currently in the role has been doing it for 15 years and has developed a unique skillset and knowledge, that would realistically take years to match. No succession planning done either. Whoever takes up the position is on a hiding to nothing.

Surely the probability of success (by any objective measure - avoiding a nervous breakdown for a start) in any prospective role, should form part of your evaluation criteria?
                                                                                                          No uplift for a higher level of management is insane.

Is there any way you use this to gain an advantage, i.e. throw your name into the ring with the proviso that you want x% uplift, y additional resources, more autonomy to set realistic goal, etc, etc and if there aren't part of the package, you're not interested?

Spell out what can be achieved in an underperforming department if you are allowed to fix it your way.

Comment

I feel like Hitch posting so many messages in a row

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                              I feel like Hitch posting so many messages in a row
                                                                                                              What did ya have for yer tea?
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Really enjoying the redfaced gammon apoplexy orgy from all the cap doffing crawlers in the the British press over the Meghan interview. Drinking it up here, fuck them. Great to see

Comment

What you are talking about here is that renting is an Unrecoverable cost. Home ownership has plenty of unrecoverable costs too.
                                                                                                                  Either can work out more financially beneficial than the other depending on your circumstances and the taxes in your country.
                                                                                                                  You also have to take into account things like opportunity cost, you can't invest 100k if it is a deposit and so on.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-03-21, 19:50.

Comment

Bloodbath. You love to see it. The moral of the lesson is to never rob money from rich people - all the banks that robbed money from poorer tracker mortgage holders, on the other hand, are looking on from their safe jobs approvingly.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

What did ya have for yer tea?
                                                                                                                      Haven't had it yet, only in the door from work, but Mrs Lao Lao did up a batch of Squash, Kale, Leek & Fennel gratin (which we also put the wild garlic into) yesterday. It's a recipe from the happy spa twins but it is delish so going to polish off the rest of it tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Really enjoying the redfaced gammon apoplexy orgy from all the cap doffing crawlers in the the British press over the Meghan interview. Drinking it up here, fuck them. Great to see
                                                                                                                        I really enjoyed this

Comment

Music King March Madness is open for business. Bit of a slow start but plenty of great tracks to dig into. Will leave entries open 'til 8am tomorrow to let the laggards catch up!

Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X