X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Yeah ask, would be interested.
    Not saying that they are close. But wonder would a Finnish per Estonian native speaker pick Hungarian faster than a English or Spanish speaker.
    Hungarian and Basque, aren't they the two languages that totally puzzle linguists and anthropologists?

To take the Raoul University test, what does the phrase 'my underpants are on fire' look like in various European languages?
    And let's give them Tren ratings:

Basque:
    nire galtzontziloak sutan daude

Spanish:
    mis calzoncillos están en llamas

Hungarian:
    alsónadrágom ég

French:
    mon slip est en feu

Finnish:
    alushousuni ovat tulessa

German:
    Meine Unterhose brennt

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.
      Would have thought the suburbs to the east (Rathgar, Dartry, Ranelagh) have a higher social cachet than Terenure, which is a bit more mixed but also a nice area iirc. Traffic blackspot for sure.

Comment

Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.
        Probably depends which part of Terenure you are talking about, some parts of "Terenure" can be a mixed bag.

Comment

No DART, no Luas - Terenure, Templeogue, Rathfarnham suffer as a result. I'm looking for a new house right now, needs to be within a walk of the Luas, DART or the N11 QBC for consideration. That's a lot of South Dublin to be fair! But nowhere west of Churchtown...

Comment

Read a story in the newspaper yesterday about a guy who worked in a hospital as a hospital porter.

Developed a shockingly bad coke habit. So much that he got so high at work that he "dressed up as a dinosaur and had disrupted the evening drug administration round".

Then the hospital, knowing that you should just fire someone without giving them a chance, rather than firing him arranged for him to go to rehab after spending six months on paid leave. And he turned around upon receiving the offer of (paid) rehab and said 'no, I don't want to go to rehab, I want to instead keep getting high and dressing up as a dinosaur in the hospital'.

And only at that point did they fire him.

And SIPTU, his union, were so outraged, that they represented him at his Workplace Appeals Tribunal.

I just find it an interesting contrast between how the real world works and how we want to destroy student lives for being sold digs with other students in a student village, with all pubs closed, and no classes, and then expect them to not have parties. Like that - and not a hospital worker getting high on coke, dressing up as a dinosaur at work and going up to nurses trying to inject patients with drugs - thats not our line.

I say this, because it was only two days ago and it barely made the back pages of the regular news, while people enjoying themselves is what made the front pages. It suggests our anger is partially righteous and partially excessively moralistic.
            depends on if you consider the the public sector unions as living in the real world. A lot of members don’t think so.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
              No DART, no Luas - Terenure, Templeogue, Rathfarnham suffer as a result. I'm looking for a new house right now, needs to be within a walk of the Luas, DART or the N11 QBC for consideration. That's a lot of South Dublin to be fair! But nowhere west of Churchtown...
              You are doing yourself a disservice. Sure you can hoof it into town from Terenure . Great spot. Bushy Park, Dodder nearby
              Marley not far off . Some fine houses . I love that area.
              Transport will all be centralised stations with feeders in coming years

Comment

Someone recommended Tenters as the up and coming area to me recently. Described it as 'the new Portobello'.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  I think best is going to be very subjective. Especially when it's a genre know for churning them out.
                  I enjoyed the Alex Cross books I read. But didn't finish the series. Patterson definitely churns them out. Got maybe 8 books into the series, was 10 years ago, must be over 20 now.
                  Patterson has another long series. Women's Murder club.
                  For some reason just feel you need something uber long at the rate you get through the pageturners.

Trying to think what series has 50 books?
                  May not have been literal
                  Yeah I liked Alex Cross series years ago.
                  Got a bit formulaic
                  Quite liked John Connolly's Charlie Parker books too.
                  Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series (easy to mix up those two)
                  Wallander, Jack Reacher, Dublin Murder Squad were all ones I've enjoyed to some extent.
                  Jack Reacher as a detective series is a bit of a reach mind
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Yeah, pain in the gee. Still mooting one and hopefully arrive by the time I have the travel pass. Thankfully I've never had to commute to town for work.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Yeah I liked Alex Cross series years ago.
                      Got a bit formulaic
                      Quite liked John Connolly's Charlie Parker books too.
                      Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series (easy to mix up those two)
                      Wallander, Jack Reacher, Dublin Murder Squad were all ones I've enjoyed to some extent.
                      Jack Reacher as a detective series is a bit of a reach mind
                      Watching Bosch on Prime atm, might give the books a go. Poirot popped into m head but I see that's only 33, not really a series though either.

Shrap completely right on I Am Pilgrim, such a captivating book.

Comment

Someone recommended Tenters as the up and coming area to me recently. Described it as 'the new Portobello'.
                        I do think it's on the up! More like the new Stoneybatter though. No interest from me anyhow, I actively want to live in a suburban estate, hopefully my kids can enjoy the same experience I did growing up. Being able to walk out of your house, cross a quiet road and onto the local green to play, while being close to reliable public transport, is ideal IMHO. IrishMiddleAgedBoards.com, wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Probably depends which part of Terenure you are talking about, some parts of "Terenure" can be a mixed bag.
                          give over you big softie. The hard streets of Terenure. Is this real life? Even if you're talking about "Terenure" (D12) as the estate agents like to, that's still Limekiln / Manor Farm and as all absolutely graaaaaaaaaaand.

Don't need a DART or LUAS when it's a 45 min walk to town or a 12 min cycle really.

Am sale agreed in the "up and coming" Kimmage right next door at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Hungarian and Basque, aren't they the two languages that totally puzzle linguists and anthropologists?

To take the Raoul University test, what does the phrase 'my underpants are on fire' look like in various European languages?

Basque:
                            Spanish:
                            Hungarian:
                            French:
                            Finnish:
                            German:
                            ah yeah but you can easily read that spanish one, understand, pronounce and translate it perfectly if you're a native English speaker
                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

ah yeah but you can easily read that spanish one, understand, pronounce and translate it perfectly if you're a native English speaker
                              I gave it an extra Tren for the humour factor of 'llamas'

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6OS68XVaZh0rIiaOMlJWFudtReaWAcEx68g&usqp=CAU.jpg

Comment

Some UK based one's I'd recommend.
                                Mark Billingham's DS Tom Thorne books are very good, have to be read it order as there is continuous spoilers for previous books. They have a huge similarity in style to the Bosch books.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_B...m#Tom_Thorne_2

Mo Hayder's DS Jack Caffrey books are ostensibly detective fiction but are amongst the nastiest I've read, almost approaching horror stories. Definitely need to be read in order as there's one overriding plot arc of a personal case that continues from book to book.

On a lighter note, if you've ever fancied dipping your toes into Tartan noir, then Chris Brookmyre is worth a shot.
                                His Jack Parlabane series is the main one - he's an investigative crime journalist as opposed to a detective but much the same concept. Again best to read in order but not essential. They veer from outright comedy to unexpected gritty gore, often on the same page.
                                Written in Scottish, Irving Welch style.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...Jack_Parlabane

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

give over you big softie. The hard streets of Terenure. Is this real life? Even if you're talking about "Terenure" (D12) as the estate agents like to, that's still Limekiln / Manor Farm and as all absolutely graaaaaaaaaaand.

Don't need a DART or LUAS when it's a 45 min walk to town or a 12 min cycle really.

Am sale agreed in the "up and coming" Kimmage right next door at present.
                                  I did see a TikTok recently of someone questioning whether Kimmage actually exists or was it all just a scam by the monopoly board folks. As nobody really knows where it is or knows anyone who is from there. You've just spoiled that now you Kimmage Kabbage.

Comment

I did see a TikTok recently of someone questioning whether Kimmage actually exists or was it all just a scam by the monopoly board folks. As nobody really knows where it is or knows anyone who is from there. You've just spoiled that now you Kimmage Kabbage.
                                    it's one of those small suburban areas that gets dominated by its bigger neighbours like Crumlin

Comment

The auld canary that sounds like Solks and sings about carbon monoxide alarms is surely from there. I see his young one sings with him now on the new ad and she's called Drimnagh. Good solid name for any of ye expecting a new female arrival.

Comment

Tenters is a cool name. Never heard it before. Something about an old fabric industry in the area and the sheets flying in the wind, reminiscent of tents. It's what the folks who worked in those factories with poisonous fumes would have wanted if they hadn't been killed in their prime by dodgy work conditions - people moving in to the neighbourhood and demanding oatmilk in their lattes.

Comment

The auld canary that sounds like Solks and sings about carbon monoxide alarms is surely from there. I see his young one sings with him now on the new ad and she's called Drimnagh. Good solid name for any of ye expecting a new female arrival.
                                          Can you just call your kid whatever you want in Ireland. Like could you call your kid Unicorn if you so desired?

Comment

Can you just call your kid whatever you want in Ireland. Like could you call your kid Unicorn if you so desired?
                                            I think the registrar can refuse a name if it's just ludicrous and\or offensive.

Unicorn would I guess be fine but not BadassMuthafucka O'Toole III

Comment

No idea. It is a makebelieve singing Dublin canary with a green quiff tbf.

Comment

Hungarian:
                                                How on earth does Hungarian translate all that into a word and a bit

nowhere west of Churchtown...

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

ha. i did not know that. my tiktok algorithm is mainly optimised towards bouncy breasts in fairness. I generally try not to like anything that is not bouncy breast related so as not to confuse the algorithm.

Comment

TOPICAL 3 lovely lassies from Kimmage

Comment

Many a scrimmage in Kimmage .

Comment

My fav ad of all time . The 1st one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                          That's really cool but almost certainly an oversimplification. Silhouette died in 1767 but the term was not recorded in any known writing until 1783. There is also a suggestion, likely by his apologists, that Silhouette himself did outline drawings of others and hung them in his home. It could have been a means of justifying the slur as something less scathing. Or neither could be true and there may be an entirely different explanation. This is one etymology where people have just decided they like the explanation of him as a skin-flint austerity politician.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Northern Ireland has hit a new milestone with 500k vaccinated. They will do the Catholics next .

Comment

On houses, a two-bed restored post office has come up for sale near me. Not something I'd buy now but definitely would have considered it a couple of years ago. I think the finish on it is fantastic, if it wasn't Covid, I'd go for a look: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/2936025

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                On houses, a two-bed restored post office has come up for sale near me. Not something I'd buy now but definitely would have considered it a couple of years ago. I think the finish on it is fantastic, if it wasn't Covid, I'd go for a look: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...erford/2936025
                                                                that looks really good (some of the bedroom\bathroom stuff is a bit OTT) but some job on a building of that age. The energy rating is impressive.

Comment

wow!

Comment

I think the registrar can refuse a name if it's just ludicrous and\or offensive.

Jayminators new moniker!

Comment

Bit unfair that it was OK for the father and grandad.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Bit unfair that it was OK for the father and grandad.
                                                                        BadassMuthafucka O'Toole Senior and Junior.

Comment

Musical contribution to feel good Friday

Comment

Watched that home of the year show and while each to their own on what colour palette they wish to use, i would have been pissed if i owed the middle place, thought it was really nice.
                                                                            Last edited by oleras; 05-03-21, 13:50.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Listening to Claire Byrne Show this morning for a bit. That Jennifer Carroll MacNeill is a serious performer. She really showed up that imbecile Michael McNamara. She is nailed on for the next ministerial vacancy.
                                                                              Also, for GAB, see they're advertising for a CEO for the Curragh Racecourse (or is Chairman more your thing at thus stage)?

Comment

I've always had an irrational dislike (hatred is too strong) for Terenure and people from Terenure since that stupid fucking AIB Terenure ad. which must be about 12 years old at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I've always had an irrational dislike (hatred is too strong) for Terenure and people from Terenure since that stupid fucking AIB Terenure ad. which must be about 12 years old at this stage.

Think Terenure was traditionally the Jewish area of Dublin (or one of them anyway), my mother grew up there and was in a school where the class was 50/50 Jewish/Prods. Definitely been in the synagogue there a few times athough I think the Jewish community has much declined in recent decades.

Comment

There is a fridge for Kosher meat in Churchtown Supervalu so must be still a decent sized community near that area
                                                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Think Terenure was traditionally the Jewish area of Dublin (or one of them anyway), my mother grew up there and was in a school where the class was 50/50 Jewish/Prods. Definitely been in the synagogue there a few times athough I think the Jewish community has much declined in recent decades.

I'll give da mudder a pass as I guess she was in school there pre 2008 which is when the ad was released

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Tbf you can see the pattern even in his examples, Spanish, French, German you can get a lot of the way there even by understanding "my something is/are something". I don't know German but it's not a leap to understand meine unterhose. Generally there are far more obvious words in languages, that phrase in Spanish, had it ended in flamas it would be easier etc, llamas here is what is know as a "false friend" in languages, because while it does share the same origin as in English (Flamma in Latin), it has evolved over time to be different. If they did not have the same etymological root it would be a false cognate. If it had been pants with "pantalón" and "pantalones" in that phrase, obviously we would understand. Est/están are in lots of languages and are found in English & Latin, is, to be etc. Finnish, Hungarian there may as well be from another planet, whereas the other easier languages share lexical cognates with English.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How on earth does Hungarian translate all that into a word and a bit

I'm surprised they had the dignity to make it more than one word.
                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-03-21, 14:40.

Comment

Lao Lao any idea what's going to happen with that shipwreck in cork that's been there a while now? Apparently some lads claimed it but it's pretty worthless at this stage and it seems the onus is on the Govt here to sort it but costs could run up to 10 mil.

Is this a regular worldwide occurrence or can you shed any light on it?

Comment

I recall Jared Diamond saying he speaks approx 10 languages and also can read Latin & Greek.

He said the toughest by far was Finnish not sure if Hungarian is one of his 10 though.

Comment

Wandavision finale was quite good and better than I expected. Two post credit scenes fyi.

SPOILER
                                                                                              Will be interesting to see what happens to Monica (Captain Marvel 2, Kree, Inhumans and Skrulls?), White Vision, the Darkhold Book (Nice tie-in back to Agents of Shield) and Scarlett Witch has loads of potential stories. Had a good chuckle at another destroyer of worlds.

Comment

Conor Hogan 6.30 Fundalk

Comment

is that a jacuzzi in the back?
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I'll give da mudder a pass as I guess she was in school there pre 2008 which is when the ad was released
                                                                                                    well, she was boasting that she wouldn't be getting the covid vaccine for a few weeks unlike 'the old people next door'

but not quite 2008...

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                      There is a fridge for Kosher meat in Churchtown Supervalu so must be still a decent sized community near that area
                                                                                                      There is a quite aromatic halal buthers in the Eurospar in Lucan that'll hopefully soon be my local shop.

balfejohn Whats the timeframe, roughly, to quote, build and install a downstairs WC with a sink?

If all goes according to plan, I get keys on the 11th. I've from then to 31st March to paint, furnish, move and rennovate the place before we are out of the current place.

Comment

For those who have been tortured by the thought for the last few hours, 'my underpants are on fire' in Japanese is:

私のパンツは燃えています

Comment

and Thai:

กางเกงในของฉันโดนไฟไหม้

Comment

There is a quite aromatic halal buthers in the Eurospar in Lucan that'll hopefully soon be my local shop.

balfejohn Whats the timeframe, roughly, to quote, build and install a downstairs WC with a sink?

If all goes according to plan, I get keys on the 11th. I've from then to 31st March to paint, furnish, move and rennovate the place before we are out of the current place.
                                                                                                            Have u a drawing
                                                                                                            can access be got into the existing house for a very quick survey

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                              Lao Lao any idea what's going to happen with that shipwreck in cork that's been there a while now? Apparently some lads claimed it but it's pretty worthless at this stage and it seems the onus is on the Govt here to sort it but costs could run up to 10 mil.

Is this a regular worldwide occurrence or can you shed any light on it?
                                                                                                              Wouldn't be my exact area really but as far as I know, unless the owners (and they need to be able to prove they own it, which can be harder than you think) stump up the cash to salvage it, the State, through the Dept of Revenue will be left to foot the bill for getting rid of it.

Comment

If we didn't know and love the auld Gaeilge, this would probably be a 3-Tren rating:

tá mo chuid fothaí trí thine

Comment

and Thai:

กางเกงในของฉันโดนไฟไหม้
                                                                                                                  At least Japenese looks nice, I could imagine a relaxing session of drawing the characters but that is just painful. I can barely write in English let alone that.

Comment

What was the resolution of your ownership issue?
                                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

At least Japenese looks nice, I could imagine a relaxing session of drawing the characters but that is just painful. I can barely write in English let alone that.
                                                                                                                      Hindi looks a bit more interesting:

मेरे जांघों में आग लगी है

Hebrew also a bit

התחתונים שלי בוערים

Quite like the shape of Arabic:
                                                                                                                      سروالي يحترق

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Have u a drawing
                                                                                                                        can access be got into the existing house for a very quick survey
                                                                                                                        Nope and Nope.
                                                                                                                        It's a small understairs number if that helps.
                                                                                                                        I'll try get something asap

Comment

Indian, these notes are really hard to play.

Hebrew, every letter is n half finished or with a flourish.

Arabic, how I do my signature when I'm not even trying to write my name.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X