This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

He will be right back on the tee box if he fails. Rules quiz. Can he tee it up again or does he have to drop? No Googling.

No idea if im right but id have taken it as a drop in a drop zone near tee box?
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      I think best is going to be very subjective. Especially when it's a genre know for churning them out.
      I enjoyed the Alex Cross books I read. But didn't finish the series. Patterson definitely churns them out. Got maybe 8 books into the series, was 10 years ago, must be over 20 now.
      Patterson has another long series. Women's Murder club.
      For some reason just feel you need something uber long at the rate you get through the pageturners.

Trying to think what series has 50 books?
      May not have been literal
      It's Spenser. Has 48 in the series. I'm just on number 1. Its a reasonably consistent one a year starting in the 1970s. Not sure how they manage the aging of the detective in the series, maybe he stays the same age.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
        This is great

Great VID, if I did twitter I would advise them to convert to NFT!

Comment

I think best is going to be very subjective. Especially when it's a genre know for churning them out.
          I enjoyed the Alex Cross books I read. But didn't finish the series. Patterson definitely churns them out. Got maybe 8 books into the series, was 10 years ago, must be over 20 now.
          Patterson has another long series. Women's Murder club.
          For some reason just feel you need something uber long at the rate you get through the pageturners.

Trying to think what series has 50 books?
          May not have been literal
          definitely very subjective. The only series i read religiously is the Adamsberg series by Fred Vargas (only 11 of them so far).

After that, it's a genre i'm happy to jump in and out without feeling the need to read them in order (ie some of the connelly novels),as they make for great summer reading.

love one offs though like "i am pilgrim" but they seem to be few and far between at that standard.

Comment

He will be right back on the tee box if he fails. Rules quiz. Can he tee it up again or does he have to drop? No Googling.

I've done this attempt myself successfully.,
            albeit that was in Wii golf.
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sammy at least sounds like the most fun to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

definitely very subjective. The only series i read religiously is the Adamsberg series by Fred Vargas (only 11 of them so far).

After that, it's a genre i'm happy to jump in and out without feeling the need to read them in order (ie some of the connelly novels),as they make for great summer reading.

love one offs though like "i am pilgrim" but they seem to be few and far between at that standard.
                I remember hearing a guy waxing lyrical about Monbalciano (sic), the Italian one. And feeling envious of his deep connection to that series. I want to find that! I feel you have that a bit to Vargas. Keane to Harry Dresden maybe. Raoul or Strew has some Norwegian or Swedish or Finnish guy - can't remember exactly. While I'm flitting between ideas and not really soaking up any one existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I wonder if any of those codes are actually legal. They just get written up by a committee, they're not legally tested or anything close to that.
                  Come on, take up these concerns - we all want the 'hey Dean! You're a stupid head! And your code of conduct is stooopider!" recording...get on it stat
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Front dimmer bulb a bitch to replace. Tail light/reg light handy enough to replace in my car anyway.
                    WD40 for the wiper stalk (great stuff altogether, sorted squeaky hinges in apartment and apartment building common entrance door which had been annoying me while I was at it)

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Front dimmer bulb a bitch to replace. Tail light/reg light handy enough to replace in my car anyway.
                      WD40 for the wiper stalk (great stuff altogether, sorted squeaky hinges in apartment and apartment building common entrance door which had been annoying me while I was at it)

Comment

He has to drop I think. But he’s be dropping either two club lengths from where it entered, or on a line with entry point and flag?

I don’t think he can retee the ball? Trying to think of situations where Id have used that rule.

If he makes it across and it dribbles back into water he can drop on far side.
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I see Raoul moving goalposts again today under the flag of logical supremacy.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

It's Spenser. Has 48 in the series. I'm just on number 1. Its a reasonably consistent one a year starting in the 1970s. Not sure how they manage the aging of the detective in the series, maybe he stays the same age.
                            He does age, as do the other constant characters. His black gangster-with-ethics sidekick Hawk and he have some great, very un-PC dialogue.

"Brock Rimbaud?" I said.

"Don't sound like no brother," Hawk said

"Maybe he changed his name," I said. "Trying to pass."

"What you think his real name is?" Hawk said.

"Old Black Joe?" I said.

"Mostly they ain't naming us that no more," Hawk said.

Comment

Miss Honey Ryder 4.12 Taunton

Comment

I remember hearing a guy waxing lyrical about Monbalciano (sic), the Italian one. And feeling envious of his deep connection to that series. I want to find that! I feel you have that a bit to Vargas. Keane to Harry Dresden maybe. Raoul or Strew has some Norwegian or Swedish or Finnish guy - can't remember exactly. While I'm flitting between ideas and not really soaking up any one existence.
                                Montalbano? Sicilian detective with personality issues and a serious food obsession? Great series, although like most of the genre the plots tend to get in the way of the dialogue, the descriptions of meals (which tend to be epic in this series) and the way he tortures himself by not having sex with a procession of hawt wimminz.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                  shush child. The adults are talking.

Comment

He has to drop I think. But he’s be dropping either two club lengths from where it entered, or on a line with entry point and flag?

I don’t think he can retee the ball? Trying to think of situations where Id have used that rule.

If he makes it across and it dribbles back into water he can drop on far side.
                                    You can re-tee if you are taking stoke and distance, and your original shot was from the teeing ground. You would have done it loads on par 3s over water with no DZ.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

You can re-tee if you are taking stoke and distance, and your original shot was from the teeing ground. You would have done it loads on par 3s over water with no DZ.
                                      Good to know! Most courses I've played would offer a dropzone for this exact reason I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

shush child. The adults are talking.
                                        Oh, I see we are back with the insults too. The mask is slipping.

Comment

Straight in the drink . He has a retee option . Standard ?

Comment

Oh, I see we are back with the insults too. The mask is slipping.
                                            You get what you give. When you have an original thought of your own, then you can waddle out of the sandpit and take off your nappy with the big boys.

Comment

Not to suggest Hungarian isn't ridiculously hard. I think the above might not be the best metric as languages are related (or unrelated) and we all have some base to start from.
                                              When you gave portugese a go, previous experience in French or another of the Romance languages was a head start. Even english is technically part of the same indo-european language family as French/German/Spanish/Italian along with a few hundred others. Plus there's the exposure side, but I've pick up a number of words over the years from TV/Movies or whatever.

Hungarian is an entirely different family. It's not distance cousin or whatever. It's a different species. I'd wonder if a Finnish speaker would pick it up faster. As Finnish is also in that reject family.
                                              Difficulty in learning a language is indeed based on your initial language, so there are different grades depending on that. When I refer to something being easier or harder it means for a native English speaker, so for us Spanish is very easy and in particular compared to somebody that was a native Mandarin speaker or some such. However in you example (must ask my gf) I believe even Finnish is so different to Hungarian that it is more like the difference between English and Russian, both Indo-European languages, but incredibly different, grammar may be similar I think. They are on different branches of the family but very distant. For her I think something like Japanese is much easier to learn than English, and for us, both Japanese and Hungarian are quite hard. I should ask her more, she has a languages degree. I think English is quite difficult for them too of course, different species like you say.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                Never stopped believing !!!
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Thanks once again!!

Comment

Dancer!

Comment

Great tip thanks!

I assume Dicey didn't get on it
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Cheers! Some strike rate. Was sorely tempted to go all in but BR management reared its ugly head.

Comment

You get what you give. When you have an original thought of your own, then you can waddle out of the sandpit and take off your nappy with the big boys.
                                                          Did I insult you?

Comment

Did I insult you?
                                                            Not enough clearly. He's still going.

Comment

Theresa and Raoul the only honourable way to resolve this is to compare scores on this game of pinning the biggest 150 countries on a world map.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                Theresa and Raoul the only honourable way to resolve this is to compare scores on this game of pinning the biggest 150 countries on a world map.
                                                                you bastard, there goes the evening (when I was supposed to be teaching my daughter trigonometry, hmm maybe benefits)

Comment

Did I insult you?
                                                                  Just calling you out in that your modus operandi is to jump into a debate, not to contribute anything but to throw a dig at me for some reason

e.g. your first learned contribution today:

So as I say, childish and snippy in tone with no actual contribution to offer.

Develop some thoughts of your own and then you can escape the creche. Maybe you're thick enough not to know what you're doing and I should give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't feel you deserve it.

Comment

Some young students from a University somewhere
                                                                    Partied in lockdown "were young sure!"
                                                                    Dont care how many we kill
                                                                    Sure we had a great thrill
                                                                    And we know there will be no censure

Comment

Just calling you out in that your modus operandi is to jump into a debate, not to contribute anything but to throw a dig at me for some reason

e.g. your first learned contribution today:

So as I say, childish and snippy in tone with no actual contribution to offer.

Develop some thoughts of your own and then you can escape the creche. Maybe you're thick enough not to know what you're doing and I should give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't feel you deserve it.
                                                                      I don’t think that’s my modus operandi, I’ve been posting here for years, some snippy, some childish, some helpful, some nonsense. That’s the internet.

Speaking of MO’s, I don’t have the arrogance to believe that all my thoughts are somehow original or unique.
                                                                      And in terms of not knowing what your doing, no one was arguing whether the University had the right to enforce their code of conduct, people were making the point that their code of conduct shouldn’t include things outside the university, like street parties off the university campus.

Rightly or wrongly, I don’t have an opinion really but it’s always lovely to see you move the goalposts and then argue logical superiority.

Insult me away. Water off a ducks back.

Comment

Is there a multiple like button somewhere

Comment

97% on 8.55 is the score to beat

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post

97% on 8.55 is the score to beat
                                                                            The really tiny places fucked me up, like fucking El Salvador and Guinea-Bissau. Like I know where they are but can I get the mouse to click exactly the right pixel...I cannot. Once you get half the deck filled in, you can fly it.

Comment

I misclicked and got a yellow on Australia.

Froze on the phone halfway through.

Got a lot wrong but knew the general area, the only one I was way out on was Guyana. Clicking shit 5000 miles away.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                I'd say if there were camera phones back in the 80s and 90s a lot of us would have been cancelled a long time ago (or else still in the slammer with concurrent sentences)
                                                                                In case anyone thought I was insulting them my multiple like button request was to thank this Dice post.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear that a University would be within it's rights to impose serious sanctions on students for serious crimes like murder, rape etc. Having a party in it's own right doesn't fall into this bracket obviously. However..... based on the scenario we are in with Covid and the impact that a party can have i think the college would be well within its right to take sanctions. Expulsion may harsh perhaps as they are kids after all (even if technically adults) but the party has potentially far reaching and serious consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think it's pretty clear that a University would be within it's rights to impose serious sanctions on students for serious crimes like murder, rape etc. Having a party in it's own right doesn't fall into this bracket obviously. However..... based on the scenario we are in with Covid and the impact that a party can have i think the college would be well within its right to take sanctions. Expulsion may harsh perhaps as they are kids after all (even if technically adults) but the party has potentially far reaching and serious consequences.
                                                                                    I don't think anyone thinks UL will actually expel students.

But they clearly do have the right to do so - and threatening to enforce it might thwart further stupid behaviour by students.
                                                                                    It is not just 'students being students' (which ordinarily no-one would give two shits about); it is literally life-threatening behaviour in a pandemic and undermines all the efforts the rest of society is making. Nobody should be making excuses for that behaviour.

So, if the students could remember the simple rule of 'don't be a fucking dickhead' and act accordingly, then none of this would even be a conversation point...

Gordon Elliott could have obeyed the same rule and he'd also be in the clear.
                                                                                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 04-03-21, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

In case anyone thought I was insulting them my multiple like button request was to thank this Dice post.
                                                                                      I think I speak for everyone except dice in saying we all feel pretty insulted now.

Comment

Not going to embarrass myself on the Map quiz.

Are people still paying for things in cash?

I was in the Q for the NCT.
                                                                                        1st guy has his dopey nose showing over his mask (really irritates me, it's almost like a target that demands punching!)
                                                                                        2nd guy goes up and she asks him would he mind putting in his card in to pay
                                                                                        "Im paying by cash" he says but definitely with a bit of attitude
                                                                                        "We do prefer people to pay by card please"
                                                                                        "I'll pay by card next time" he says getting smart
                                                                                        "Well it's on the website that we ask people to pay by card if you dont mind"
                                                                                        Perhaps upon realising that getting smart with the people who can pass or fail on fairly innocuous items is probably not the brightest idea hes had that day, el thicko suddenly finds his card, pretending he hadnt realised he had it with him..ffs

Just seems like theres assholes/morons everywhere

I dont mind people paying in cash if they're genuine about it obviously but being a cunt just to satisfy your cunty ego or your need to show defiance because you're a cunt is well just cuntish behaviour.
                                                                                        In fact if he entered a "who's the biggest cunt competition" he would come second. Why?....because hes a cunt!

Comment

I'm paying by non-fungible token.

Come to think of it that guy way back who sent the drawing of the spider as payment may end up having overpaid if he NFTs it.

Comment

The nosers do seem to be a special breed.

I noticed a few lads getting on at the John o Gods stop and they were wearing visors. I spent half the bus ride thinking maybe they were on day release, but eventually worked out they were just normal people who'd made shockingly bad choices.
                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-03-21, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

But surely, expulsion is not the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Great tip thanks!

I assume Dicey didn't get on it
                                                                                                Was down collecting car from garage after ti failed NCT and cost me money. Ye fuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

No it's not so perhaps some sort of graduated system (as someone mentioned earlier) where after a certain number of offences it could lead to expulsion. But first offence would be a lesser punishment. As i said, they are kids after all, they will make stupid choices, it's just a part of life. But there needs to be some degree of accountability for the more grievous ones.

Comment

Read a story in the newspaper yesterday about a guy who worked in a hospital as a hospital porter.

Developed a shockingly bad coke habit. So much that he got so high at work that he "dressed up as a dinosaur and had disrupted the evening drug administration round".

Then the hospital, knowing that you should not just fire someone without giving them a chance, arranged for him to go to rehab after spending six months on paid leave while they came up with a solution. And he turned around upon receiving the offer of (paid) rehab and said 'no, I don't want to go to rehab, I want to instead keep getting high and dressing up as a dinosaur in the hospital'.

And only at that point did they fire him.

And SIPTU, his union, were so outraged, that they represented him at his Workplace Appeals Tribunal.

I just find it an interesting contrast between how the real world works and how we want to destroy student lives for being sold digs with other students in a student village, with all pubs closed, and no classes, and then expect them to not have parties. Like that - and not a hospital worker getting high on coke, dressing up as a dinosaur at work and going up to nurses trying to inject patients with drugs - thats not our line.

I say this, because it was only two days ago and it barely made the back pages of the regular news, while people enjoying themselves is what made the front pages. It suggests our anger is partially righteous and partially excessively moralistic.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-03-21, 23:15.

Comment

Report of how students in the West turned a single infection into 442 confirmed cases. Which while being a bit old fashioned of a line up is still quite impressive.

Comment

The nosers do seem to be a special breed.

I noticed a few lads getting on at the John o Gods stop and they were wearing visors. I spent half the bus ride thinking maybe they were on day release, but eventually worked out they were just normal people who'd made shockingly bad choices.
                                                                                                        There's a couple of girls in my local Spar who wear these really weird clear plastic things that seem to me to be totally counter productive.

It's this chin strap thing with a clear plastic bit in the shape of a funnel cut in half.

It maybe stops breath and spit from landing on their hands, but instead, projects and amplifies it upwards.

Just wear a fucking mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Mr Crane I'm afraid expulsion is the only answer. It's the opinion of the entire staff that Hitch is criminally insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

There's a couple of girls in my local Spar who wear these really weird clear plastic things that seem to me to be totally counter productive.

It's this chin strap thing with a clear plastic bit in the shape of a funnel cut in half.

It maybe stops breath and spit from landing on their hands, but instead, projects and amplifies it upwards.

Just wear a fucking mask.

Yer wan that makes the hash browns . Gigiddy gogiddy

She's a model and she works in Spar...

Comment

Report of how students in the West turned a single infection into 442 confirmed cases. Which while being a bit old fashioned of a line up is still quite impressive.
                                                                                                              Thats amazing
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I can't believe we are debating unlikely to happen suspensions at a time when NUI students who breach guidelines all being made write a 'Reflective Essay'.

'How I started a 500 person cluster that killed my Granny'

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Mr Crane I'm afraid expulsion is the only answer. It's the opinion of the entire staff that Hitch is criminally insane.
                                                                                                                  On a completely related note been playing the Joker soundtrack on the ramble down to Dunnes most days. Its a hell of a way to make the journey.

Comment

Comment

Been having some really vivid dreams recently.
                                                                                                                      During early covid when the temp got worse had the most vivid sharp dream I've ever had. Very simple without too many weird moving parts like you usually have. Looking back on it it was actually a representation of the disease itself and the fever fighting it.

Great crack dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                        However in you example (must ask my gf) I believe even Finnish is so different to Hungarian that it is more like the difference between English and Russian, both Indo-European languages, but incredibly different, grammar may be similar I think. They are on different branches of the family but very distant. For her I think something like Japanese is much easier to learn than English, and for us, both Japanese and Hungarian are quite hard. I should ask her more, she has a languages degree.
                                                                                                                        Yeah ask, would be interested.
                                                                                                                        Not saying that they are close. But wonder would a Finnish per Estonian native speaker pick Hungarian faster than a English or Spanish speaker.

Comment

Is there a reason why Terenure seems significantly cheaper than th surrounding places. Always mentally had it written down as a rich-ish area, but not sure I've ever been there.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X