This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    We need to slow down on cancel culture. A random letter written about a dude ends his career, when literally the only thing we really know about him is that he is nice when buying floorboards. Chuck students out for acting like students in their own spare time. .
    he was asking about laying instructions so I’m a bit more worried now seen all the goings on

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

The gards are the ones who told me to report it to the university for it to be taken care of by them also. Code of conduct, endangering other students etc.
      It's not dissimilar to a job, where people are fired all the time for stuff outside of work. There are of course limits, but willfully endangering others is not brushing off them. I'd say the majority of bullying in schools takes place off grounds, via internet etc. Children often kill themselves over it (a friend in my school did), should schools have no say? They have an onus to protect their students and ensure the smooth running of the school.

What happens when these kids go to uni and some vulnerable student dies from Covid? Or the school has to be shut down due to an outbreak - somebodies family member dies, and the school knew about these parties. Oh, our hands were tied? Boys will be boys?

(I haven't read whatever the story is, talking about in general)
      I think you might be misunderstanding. Students aren't going to uni though. It's all shut - so there's no possibility of impacting other students. They were told back in September there might be classes, so some entered into yearlong contracts for accommodation and are stuck there. They aren't actually going into uni. They are just coincidentally living beside the uni.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think you might be misunderstanding. Students aren't going to uni though. It's all shut - so there's no possibility of impacting other students. They were told back in September there might be classes, so some entered into yearlong contracts for accommodation and are stuck there. They aren't actually going into uni. They are just coincidentally living beside the uni.
        Just because I don't know, but I guess the answer is 'yes', do students sign some kind of code of conduct form when they enter university?

Imagining they do because my secondary schooler has to do it every year.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd say if there were camera phones back in the 80s and 90s a lot of us would have been cancelled a long time ago (or else still in the slammer with concurrent sentences)

Comment

Yes Dobby! Fair play mate
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              I'd say if there were camera phones back in the 80s and 90s a lot of us would have been cancelled a long time ago (or else still in the slammer with concurrent sentences)
              Definitely dodged many bullets there .

if I was on a stag night or something and someone was filming\taking pics of anything, you would be telling them to stop (unless it was something as innocent as happy lads being happy in a group photo).

Comment

We need to slow down on cancel culture. A random letter written about a dude ends his career, when literally the only thing we really know about him is that he is nice when buying floorboards. Chuck students out for acting like students in their own spare time. .
                I completely agree, the cancel culture and trial by social media is extremely reckless and somehow it needs to stop. But I am enjoying the irony of it happening to this particular individual as he was cheerleading it when other stories broke.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I completely agree, the cancel culture and trial by social media is extremely reckless and somehow it needs to stop. But I am enjoying the irony of it happening to this particular individual as he was cheerleading it when other stories broke.
                  There was always something suspicious about how he positioned himself at the forefront of the me too movement - he was heavily involved in leading the cancellation mob against George Hook
                  Perfected the art of converting “mental health” into column inches and airtime too.

Comment

Gordon Elliott not looking so bad now
                    theres a cancel culture shots how if you want to talk about one- and I hate horse racing

Comment

Gordon Elliott not looking so bad now
                      theres a cancel culture shots how if you want to talk about one- and I hate horse racing

Comment

At NCT the girl at the counter called me 'love' ...shock, horror

Passed the bloody thing. It was retest for bulbs and for wiper control stalk problem.

Front dimmer bulb a bitch to replace. Tail light/reg light handy enough to replace in my car anyway.
                        WD40 for the wiper stalk (great stuff altogether, sorted squeaky hinges in apartment and apartment building common entrance door which had been annoying me while I was at it)

Checked tail light bulb 1 hour before test...not working..get it working but can tell its a bit dodge ...arrive at test centre..check it again and it's not working..no time to do anything...slap palm against the plastic ...works!! Manages to pass test but not working when I got home. Will fix later.

Now for a lie down after all that excitement

Comment

From the University of Limerick student handbook code of conduct section:

Not engage in any conduct liable to or calculated to infringe the rights or lawful activities
                          of others on the University Campus or otherwise engage in any activity calculated or likely
                          to bring the University into disrepute, whether on the University property or otherwise.
                          So obviously includes lockdown flaunting party off campus imo

Comment

Wouldn't matter if they were attending or not. If incident happened on campus OK, but this is off campus.

Think about it. What agency of the Uni will investigate, judge and take action based on a students behavior while off campus? If they plan to suspend or expel how will they know who was involved in a misdemeanor off campus? If a student if fined for littering off campus is a grounds for suspension or expulsion?

It's none of their business. Uni's are education service providers with a inflated idea of themselves. What's next, you can get barred from your gym for getting a speeding ticket?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Wouldn't matter if they were attending or not. If incident happened on campus OK, but this is off campus.

Think about it. What agency of the Uni will investigate, judge and take action based on a students behavior while off campus? If they plan to suspend or expel how will they know who was involved in a misdemeanor off campus? If a student if fined for littering off campus is a grounds for suspension or expulsion?

It's none of their business. Uni's are education service providers with a inflated idea of themselves. What's next, you can get barred from your gym for getting a speeding ticket?
                              We're agreeing with each other, just for the sake of clarity in case I haven't phrased it right. Completely agreeing. It's the vegan boy who is the problem.

Comment

You may remember the Galway rag week shenanigans from a few years back. Wasn't on-campus either....
                                The college president, Dr Jim Browne, has called for an end to 'College Week' and officials have warned that offending students will be expelled.
                                Of course acting the bollix during normal times is merely a nuisance.
                                Doing it during a pandemic and wilfully breaking public health restrictions that are in place to save lives is obviously of another, much more serious, order of magnitude. These people are obviously too stupid to go to university, so expelling them probably saves time on failing them out at exam time.

Comment

Whatever about the students please tell me there’s not some stupid human rights law that will prohibit people who refuse to take covid 19 vaccines from being shunned
                                  i want to see the barred from entering public buildings/air travel/public transport/bars etc

Comment

The thing is, these days you are hung drawn and quartered by social media long before the facts are verified , it’s a merciless new media we have now and everyone and anyone get to stick the boot in. If you don’t adjust to that you’ll have mental issues. However to temper all that, the daily thirst for more hangings and new scandals means it VERY quickly becomes old news. So ride the storm , sneak away for a wee while and come back , you’ll still have to dodge the bullets but the drooler masses will have moved on.

As for the Unis and covid, it’s a tricky one, on the one hand you are off campus however on the other hand you might bring a virus back on site. I sit behind the, let the law deal with it brigade but I see where the Unis are coming from. Surely the prestige of being part of a particular Uni is worth something to them. Acting like idiots possibly drags down the image somewhat.
                                    They need Al Pacino to defend them - If I were the man I was 10 years ago, I’d take a FLAMETHROWER to the place.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                      From the University of Limerick student handbook code of conduct section:

So obviously includes lockdown flaunting party off campus imo
                                      seems pretty clear-cut and the university are well within their rights

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just because I don't know, but I guess the answer is 'yes', do students sign some kind of code of conduct form when they enter university?

Imagining they do because my secondary schooler has to do it every year.
                                        I can't imagine those codes of conduct have any legal power. It seems an especially mad idea for secondary school - an 11 year old can sign a binding contract that ties how they carry out their life outside of school can have an impact on their ability to stay in school? That surely has no power.

Comment

You may remember the Galway rag week shenanigans from a few years back. Wasn't on-campus either....

Of course acting the bollix during normal times is merely a nuisance.
                                          Doing it during a pandemic and wilfully breaking public health restrictions that are in place to save lives is obviously of another, much more serious, order of magnitude. These people are obviously too stupid to go to university, so expelling them probably saves time on failing them out at exam time.
                                          You're just mad keen to cancel everyone. All those golfers a few months ago, now students for being students. No acceptance of mistakes, everyone must lose everything. Its like authoritarian snowflakery.

Comment

A university needs to police adults outside of campus? Does an employer need to monitor their employees activities? Cop on lads.
                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I can't imagine those codes of conduct have any legal power..
                                              There is loads of precedent.

Syracuse:
                                              Some are brazenly breaking rules, like the hundreds of Syracuse University students who risked everyone's safety — and everyone's semester — by partying like it's not2020 in late August. Twenty-three students at that party got interim suspensions and were kicked off campus for what Syracuse officials described as "incredibly reckless behavior."
                                              North Western:
                                              The same thing is happening to students at smaller, more "chill" gatherings. At Northeastern University, 11 students were caught hanging out together in one room, in violation of bans on having guests in campus housing and on participating in crowded gatherings.

"I was just, like, come on — that's really irresponsible and selfish," junior Avery Collard said about the students who were all kicked off campus and out of their program for the semester.
                                              Exeter:
                                              Exeter confirmed it had suspended “a small number” of students for breaking the university’s Covid rules amid a surge in infections. Scores of students elsewhere have been fined following illegal parties, with one university threatening penalties of up to £500.
                                              I think the 'irresponsible and selfish' quote covers it really. These Limerick students are adults, they should face the consequences of their actions and people shouldn't be making excuses for them.

Comment

There is loads of precedent.

Syracuse:

North Western:

Exeter:

I think the 'irresponsible and selfish' quote covers it really. These Limerick students are adults, they should face the consequences of their actions and people shouldn't be making excuses for them.

All on campus I expect.

Comment

You're just mad keen to cancel everyone. All those golfers a few months ago, now students for being students. No acceptance of mistakes, everyone must lose everything. Its like authoritarian snowflakery.
                                                  I see you have joined the MAGAnauts in using 'cancel culture' and 'snowflakery' as a false flag to cover up your lack of any actual argument.

I love your downplaying of the seriousness though: 'students being students'. It's like this is entirely inconsequential behaviour in your mind.

If one of those maskless fools with their arms around each other has the UK variant, you'll see clusters all over Limerick within 10 days. Any vulnerable non-vaccinated person who gets covid as a result will likely die, lots of others will get very sick with potential long-term effects. Those are the real-world consequences to this 'students being students' behaviour. It is inexcusable and the university are well within their rights to threaten action (not that I think they will actually do anything).

Comment

All on campus I expect.
                                                    Not at all

here's another example - street parties by Nottingham University students. Sound familiar?

A police chief has said some students should be expelled for breaching Covid rules after at least 10 city parties were broken up over the weekend.

The gatherings, all in Nottingham, came after Nottinghamshire became subject to tier three restrictions on Friday.

One party, in Plumptre Street, led to the organiser being fined £10,000 and 38 guests fined £200 each.

Both of the city's universities have said they could expel the most serious rule-breakers.

Chief Constable Craig Guildford said students were not grasping the gravity of the Covid-19 situation.

Comment

Absolutely. The civil authorities should throw the book at them, just like any other group flouting restriction.

Comment

Absolutely. The civil authorities should throw the book at them, just like any other group flouting restriction.
                                                        Just to take this to extremes then and test your division of responsibility.

The students are adults and subject to the law. But whatever they do off-campus is no concern of the Univeristy. This is your argument?

Comment

Just to take this to extremes then and test your division of responsibility.

The students are adults and subject to the law. But whatever they do off-campus is no concern of the Univeristy. This is your argument?
                                                          Pretty much. Similar to a company and an employee when employee is no longer acting as an agent of the company.

In the Nottingham case were they expelled? Probably not. More posturing and treating adults like children. Maybe we should threaten to send the to the bold step?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                            After a few weeks of Portuguese (essentially Spanish) I was able to have a basic conversation with my ex - after months of Hungarian I can't say my girlfriends name right). It's a joke how hard I am finding this compared to French and Portuguese.
                                                            Not to suggest Hungarian isn't ridiculously hard. I think the above might not be the best metric as languages are related (or unrelated) and we all have some base to start from.
                                                            When you gave portugese a go, previous experience in French or another of the Romance languages was a head start. Even english is technically part of the same indo-european language family as French/German/Spanish/Italian along with a few hundred others. Plus there's the exposure side, but I've pick up a number of words over the years from TV/Movies or whatever.

Hungarian is an entirely different family. It's not distance cousin or whatever. It's a different species. I'd wonder if a Finnish speaker would pick it up faster. As Finnish is also in that reject family.

Comment

Pretty much. Similar to a company and an employee when employee is no longer acting as an agent of the company.

In the Nottingham case were they expelled? Probably not. More posturing and treating adults like children. Maybe we should threaten to send the to the bold step?
                                                              People get treated according to how they behave. Having a massive street party during a pandemic is incredibly childish behaviour (except that's probably a bit insulting to actual children).

So, to test your position further (now that you have clarified it so exquisitely):
                                                              1. A student rapes another student in an off-campus apartment. He somehow gets a suspended sentence due to daddy being a judge. Per your position, he should face no consequences from the university and should be allowed continue to attend classes and take exams.
                                                              2. An employee of a company, helpfully wearing his ID badge () attends a riot at, let's say the US Congress, and is filmed engaging in unlawful violence. The company should do nothing about this and he should continue to come to work.
                                                              Agree\disagree?

Comment

Whatever happened to Raouls political party based on tax cuts and fiscal probity, that won so many votes on here, and when did it turn into this dystopic moral police, no one can make a mistake in life, party.

Comment

Whatever happened to Raouls political party based on tax cuts and fiscal probity, that won so many votes on here, and when did it turn into this dystopic moral police, no one can make a mistake in life, party.
                                                                  I'm simply pointing out that actions have consequences. That's not 'cancel culture', snowflakery' or 'dystopian moral policing'.

If (presumably functioning but you have to wonder) adults in the midst of a pandemic decide to engage in insanely risky behaviour that is very likely to cause death and\or serious infection, then yes, they must accept the consequences of that behaviour, whatever form that may take. And the universities quite clearly give themselves the power to sanction students for off-campus misbehaviour. Including your own institution.

Set out below is a non-exhaustive list of offences that may result in the initiation of disciplinary procedures under this Code.
                                                                  Any activity, whether committed on or off campus, which adversely impacts, or is likely to adversely impact, the reputation of the University, its students or members of staff.
                                                                  It's not innocent student fun and games, which would under normal circumstances be, well, normal. It is literally life-threatening. That's why we have public health regulations and why the Gardai are out there enforcing them. I actually can't believe people need this explained to them at this stage!

And yes, if I was reeling around the street at the weekend half-cut in the middle of a maskless crowd, and my employer caught me at it I am very sure I would be sanctioned...and I would deserve it.

Comment

It just seems a pretty shit world to want to live in, where you are essentially telling people they should be made unemployable because of one party. And thats exactly what you are saying - they would have a few year gap on their CVs that they would have to explain and its hard to see any company wanting to employ them.

So we're not disagreeing on it not being a good idea to have parties in the middle of a pandemic. We're disagreeing on the solution being to make people unemployable in decent jobs full-stop. Thats the dystopic part. Just to be clear. And it is dystopic. I don't even think the Black Mirror episode on social rating went so far as to imagine actually destroying lives for single social mistakes. You've gone there though - you've outmirrored black mirror.

Comment

Some of us are arguing what is the case in respect of regulations and enforcement, and others what ought to be the case. It is clearly the case that universities and employers can and do expel / fire people for outside behaviour.

Whether and to what extent they ought to is another matter, and certainly not a simple dichotomy either.

​​​​​Surely even a few seconds of thinking about the most extreme of possibilities would render arguments of total separation of external behaviour untenable.

'Who did you get put with for your group project Sarah?'
                                                                      ​​​​​​​'Groan, I'm with Larry the convicted rapist who is currently facing new charges of raping 34 women last semester. And Barry who is awaiting trial for kicking Ali to death and uploading it to Tic Too last month.'

Comment

I actually know someone precisely like that. My best friend as a kid. He got caught up in something stupid, but ultimately non harmful, in work. For reputational reasons they fired him. He took them to a workplace tribunal and won, but it was too late, he just couldn't get another job in finance again. Worked in a bookies for a year, contemplated opening a chippers, then went to New Zealand where he thought he might be able to get a finance job there, but lack of reference put a stop to that, so he now washes windows for a living. I think he's happy and all, its not too tragic a story, but he's fairly pissed off about being forced into that. Twenty years later and he's still living the consequences.

Thats what all these firings ultimately lead to. Its only if you don't think about the personal consequences that you are so happy to have everyone fired. These students would pay the price forever if this happened, and we need to weigh the consequences of our demands for justice. To be sure that the justice we demand is the correct price for the harm caused.

Comment

Um, see Raoul had already articulated the rapey argument. I blame the DJ's of this country for poisoning our minds like this.

Comment

Some of us are arguing what is the case in respect of regulations and enforcement, and others what ought to be the case. It is clearly the case that universities and employers can and do expel / fire people for outside behaviour.

Whether and to what extent they ought to is another matter, and certainly not a simple dichotomy either.

​​​​​Surely even a few seconds of thinking about the most extreme of possibilities would render arguments of total separation of external behaviour untenable.

'Groan, I'm with Larry the convicted rapist who is currently facing new charges of raping 34 women last semester. And Barry who is awaiting trial for kicking Ali to death and uploading it to Tic Too last month.'
                                                                            I guess you realise the weakness of your argument - that you couldn't use the actual example 'Larry who attended a party last year' (as there's no classes happening this year) in your argument as it would look too weak. Thats a sign of a failing argument right there, when the actual argument is too weak to use so you have to substitute it with absurd examples.

Comment

It just seems a pretty shit world to want to live in, where you are essentially telling people they should be made unemployable because of one party. And thats exactly what you are saying - they would have a few year gap on their CVs that they would have to explain and its hard to see any company wanting to employ them.

So we're not disagreeing on it not being a good idea to have parties in the middle of a pandemic. We're disagreeing on the solution being to make people unemployable in decent jobs full-stop. Thats the dystopic part. Just to be clear. And it is dystopic. I don't even think the Black Mirror episode on social rating went so far as to imagine actually destroying lives for single social mistakes. You've gone there though - you've outmirrored black mirror.
                                                                              Well, seeing as we have identified a problem (students breaching public health guidelines), here's a possible solution.
                                                                              Give them fair warning.

Each university writes to their student body today. Something like:
                                                                              "we have been made aware of breaches of public health regulations by students at this university.
                                                                              From today onwards, we wish to inform students that the university will enforce a zero-tolerance approach to breaches of public health guidelines.
                                                                              If the Gardai notify the University of any student who has breached the public health guidelines, the following sanctions will apply to that student:
                                                                              first offence - suspension for the remainder of the academic year
                                                                              second offence - expulsion from the university"

You would want to be incredibly stupid to disregard something like this (you would want to be incredibly stupid to disregard the public health guidelines like those kids in Limerick anyway) so if you do so, the consequences are on you and you alone. That's not ''cancel culture', it might be called 'not being a fucking idiot'.

Also, there's social mistakes and then there's behaviour that potentially kills other people. Two quite different things. You seem to really want to underplay the seriousness of this.

Comment

I do want to take a moment to say its brilliant to have you back Raoul. I tried arguing with hotspur when you were away and it just wasn't the same. He just couldn't commit to the same level of absurdity that you can.

Comment

I do want to take a moment to say its brilliant to have you back Raoul. I tried arguing with hotspur when you were away and it just wasn't the same. He just couldn't commit to the same level of absurdity that you can.
                                                                                  I would pay you the exact same compliment.
                                                                                  Nobody can turn logic into fallacy quite as well as you can.

Are you going to take it up with the Dean about the DCU code of conduct and the ability of the university to sanction students for offsite behaviour?
                                                                                  (I have visions of Homer Simpson and calling him a stupid head here, so if you wouldn't mind recording this exchange for our amusement that would be great)

Comment

I actually have a genuine question also that I think a few of you could contribute to (raoul, keane, strew, western_sean, shrap to name a few off the top of my head anyway):

I keep dipping into detective series (to jog your memory of the endless potential, I've read in recent years: a French cop in Paris, a French cop in the quaint countryside, a hard-drinking Swedish cop, or Norwegian, a womanising Italian cop, all manners of American cops, a spy laden British cop, or a dreamy English spires, both a London and a US wizard cop series) - but never quite committing to any particular series. Am just on book one of a series that RDIII is reading and thinking - given there's potentially 50 books ahead - well what are the absolute best detective series - and then use the reading time for those. So, thats a long way of saying, how would ye, or how have people, rated all the different detective series?

Comment

'Groan, I'm with Larry the convicted rapist who is currently facing new charges of raping 34 women last semester. And Barry who is awaiting trial for kicking Ali to death and uploading it to Tic Too last month.'
                                                                                      "Lucky you Sarah!
                                                                                      I got Sammy the Super-Spreader, the guy who hosted that massive street party, the one that led to over a hundred clusters of covid, 50 hospitalisations and 10 deaths"

"Jesus, I really lucked out with Larry the Rapist and Barry the Murderer! Why wasn't Sammy expelled from the University?"

"Professor Hitch said it wouldn't be fair for one little mistake to impact the rest of Sammy's life and also it didn't take place on college grounds."

"Fair enough so. Shame about those dead people all the same."

Comment

HH have you shagged off campus a covid denying 16 year old ?

Comment

People get treated according to how they behave. Having a massive street party during a pandemic is incredibly childish behaviour (except that's probably a bit insulting to actual children).

So, to test your position further (now that you have clarified it so exquisitely):
                                                                                          1. A student rapes another student in an off-campus apartment. He somehow gets a suspended sentence due to daddy being a judge. Per your position, he should face no consequences from the university and should be allowed continue to attend classes and take exams.
                                                                                          2. An employee of a company, helpfully wearing his ID badge () attends a riot at, let's say the US Congress, and is filmed engaging in unlawful violence. The company should do nothing about this and he should continue to come to work.
                                                                                          Agree\disagree?
                                                                                          It not about should or shouldn't, it's about what precedents, bodies, processes, agreements and contracts exits to allow the Uni to take action, without the student having obvious recourse.

For example what clear list of off campus convictions \ infractions warrant suspension\expulsion?
                                                                                          Does the Uni vet students before they are enrolled? They may have preexisting convictions.

Take the anti-mask demo at the weekend. Are you saying all the working attendees should be sanctioned by their employer? No HR department would even consider going there these days, or risk law suits up the wazoo, and rightly so.

Unis and employers <> cops. The don't the the resources to effectively investigate, adjudicate or sanction on crime. Would be kangaroo courts for the most part if so.

If someone is in jail, under house arrest, or subject to a court order in come cases, they won't be attending Uni.

What services should be denied COVICTED criminals? When do Unis consider records expunged\spent? Shouldn't criminal charges or arrest, warrant action on the part of Unis \ employers?

Do UL know the particulars of all the students involved in the street party? If not where are the going get this information from?

Comment

I guess you realise the weakness of your argument - that you couldn't use the actual example 'Larry who attended a party last year' (as there's no classes happening this year) in your argument as it would look too weak. Thats a sign of a failing argument right there, when the actual argument is too weak to use so you have to substitute it with absurd examples.
                                                                                            You misunderstand me. I'm not remotely in favour of kicking students out of college for having that party or firing people for all but the absolute worst of things. People make mistakes and shouldn't unduly have their futures negatively affected by them.

I am merely making the point that it necessarily has to be an argument of degree rather than a blanket "What happens outside ought not to have any effect." And making an extreme hypothetical is the best way of illustrating the error of holding an extreme view.

Comment

You misunderstand me. I'm not remotely in favour of kicking students out of college for having that party or firing people for all but the absolute worst of things. People make mistakes and shouldn't unduly have their futures negatively affected by them.

I am merely making the point that it necessarily has to be an argument of degree rather than a blanket "What happens outside ought not to have any effect." And making an extreme hypothetical is the best way of illustrating the error of holding an extreme view.
                                                                                              ah. yes, sure, that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                RDIII - the meejah reading this thread. I tool a call from the SBP this morning.
                                                                                                You sprang to mind when I first became aware of the story and could see what an absolute clusterfuck the response was (and is).

I reckon you could have picked up a decent few quid doing PR advice these last few days. You could have improved on Davy Russell by 10,000%!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                  RDIII - the meejah reading this thread. I tool a call from the SBP this morning.
                                                                                                  Are the SBP the university secret police?

Comment

It not about should or shouldn't, it's about what precedents, bodies, processes, agreements and contracts exits to allow the Uni to take action, without the student having obvious recourse.

For example what clear list of off campus convictions \ infractions warrant suspension\expulsion?
                                                                                                    Does the Uni vet students before they are enrolled? They may have preexisting convictions.

Take the anti-mask demo at the weekend. Are you saying all the working attendees should be sanctioned by their employer? No HR department would even consider going there these days, or risk law suits up the wazoo, and rightly so.

Unis and employers <> cops. The don't the the resources to effectively investigate, adjudicate or sanction on crime. Would be kangaroo courts for the most part if so.

If someone is in jail, under house arrest, or subject to a court order in come cases, they won't be attending Uni.

What services should be denied COVICTED criminals? When do Unis consider records expunged\spent? Shouldn't criminal charges or arrest, warrant action on the part of Unis \ employers?

Do UL know the particulars of all the students involved in the street party? If not where are the going get this information from?
                                                                                                    Take your questions up with the University - it's their code of conduct. I'm merely pointing out that they can enforce it, and that other universities have indeed done so, including explusion. As can and do employers all the time.

Comment

The college themselves have to take some responsibility here too. The Limerick party was off campus but was it student accommodation or privately rented digs they're staying in?

The on campus accommodation in DCU is party central. Get 2 or 3 videos a week sent into our class group chats on WhatsApp of people from all over the country having parties, 20 or 30 people in a dorm. One lad in particular has put his camera on in break out rooms on zoom during a lecture with a full blown party going on in the room. And has done so several.times

The biggest mistake the lads in Limerick made was having it out on a public road instead of in one of their gaffs.

Comment

Surely the one thing colleges could have done is to close student accommodation and ask students to stay at home seeing as 99% of stuff is online now and they're still charging the full 3 grand in fees so they're not even losing that much money.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                          The college themselves have to take some responsibility here too. The Limerick party was off campus but was it student accommodation or privately rented digs they're staying in?

The on campus accommodation in UNKOWN LOCATION is party central. Get 2 or 3 videos a week sent into our class group chats on WhatsApp of people from all over the country having parties, 20 or 30 people in a dorm. One lad in particular has put his camera on in break out rooms on zoom during a lecture with a full blown party going on in the room. And has done so several.times

The biggest mistake the lads in Limerick made was having it out on a public road instead of in one of their gaffs.
                                                                                                          yikes. wtf are they doing letting students stay in student accommodation when theres no live classes anyway.

Comment

Take your questions up with the University - it's their code of conduct. I'm merely pointing out that they can enforce it, and that other universities have indeed done so, including explusion. As can and do employers all the time.
                                                                                                            I wonder if any of those codes are actually legal. They just get written up by a committee, they're not legally tested or anything close to that.

Comment

I actually have a genuine question also that I think a few of you could contribute to (raoul, keane, strew, western_sean, shrap to name a few off the top of my head anyway):

I keep dipping into detective series (to jog your memory of the endless potential, I've read in recent years: a French cop in Paris, a French cop in the quaint countryside, a hard-drinking Swedish cop, or Norwegian, a womanising Italian cop, all manners of American cops, a spy laden British cop, or a dreamy English spires, both a London and a US wizard cop series) - but never quite committing to any particular series. Am just on book one of a series that RDIII is reading and thinking - given there's potentially 50 books ahead - well what are the absolute best detective series - and then use the reading time for those. So, thats a long way of saying, how would ye, or how have people, rated all the different detective series?
                                                                                                              anyway, don't let the bastards distract you from this important ranking exercise.

Comment

Bryson claims he can drive the PAR 5 at Bay Hill should be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                  Bryson claims he can drive the PAR 5 at Bay Hill should be fun
                                                                                                                  I saw a video of him attempting it but it was quite windy and didnt get there. In near perfect conditions he can get there.

I suspect he's only attempting it if he's trailing by a few or if he's totally out of contention.

It would be great to see him do it.

Comment

This is great

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I saw a video of him attempting it but it was quite windy and didnt get there. In near perfect conditions he can get there.

I suspect he's only attempting it if he's trailing by a few or if he's totally out of contention.

It would be great to see him do it.
                                                                                                                      He will be right back on the tee box if he fails. Rules quiz. Can he tee it up again or does he have to drop? No Googling.

Comment

anyway, don't let the bastards distract you from this important ranking exercise.
                                                                                                                        Dont forget detective Robicheaux in New Orleans (I think)
                                                                                                                        Read a few of them years ago and enjoyed.

Also if you want a compelling series try "The Dark Tower" Stephen King

Comment

Am just on book one of a series that RDIII is reading and thinking - given there's potentially 50 books ahead - well what are the absolute best detective series - and then use the reading time for those. So, thats a long way of saying, how would ye, or how have people, rated all the different detective series?
                                                                                                                          I think best is going to be very subjective. Especially when it's a genre know for churning them out.
                                                                                                                          I enjoyed the Alex Cross books I read. But didn't finish the series. Patterson definitely churns them out. Got maybe 8 books into the series, was 10 years ago, must be over 20 now.
                                                                                                                          Patterson has another long series. Women's Murder club.
                                                                                                                          For some reason just feel you need something uber long at the rate you get through the pageturners.

Trying to think what series has 50 books?
                                                                                                                          May not have been literal

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X