This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    Anyone got any more details on the extremely woke RTÉ presenter who has abruptly left his job
    all I’ve got is what pops up when you google his name on Reddit but all threads deleted- looks like another al Porter situation
    There was thread on reddit recently where a woman made claims about a 2FM presenter, wasnt named but enough details for someone to do a google and find out who she was on about, can only imagine its connected to that
    airport, lol

Comment

Who is the RTE presenter?

Easy Rhyme or Limerick if he can't be named.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
        Who is the RTE presenter?

Easy Rhyme or Limerick if he can't be named.
        The RTE presenter who just stepped down from his role is Eoghan McDermott
        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
          I think it was related to how Ireland compares with other countries in Europe for transfer payments. Our Gini wasn't the lowest but we ranked 2nd to Norway in wealth transfer if I recall correctly.
          Please excuse my ignorance in this area, but what does this mean?

Comment

I need to buy some gifts for a team. Whiskey gift set. Fancy bottle/glasses presented well ~ €100. Anyone received or seen anything like that recently?

Wanted to send fancy dinner box around. But they're dotted around the country so a massive pain.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Please excuse my ignorance in this area, but what does this mean?
              Seems unlikely.

It's the idea of social transfers so how different countries compare in their ability to transfer wealth in societies to address inequality, mainly those at risk of poverty. Perhaps my terminology is a little off but it's that idea. This isn't the same one I shared at the time but something to this effect:https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/70...and-2004-2011/
              1. "The research finds that social transfers (including pensions) reduced the at-risk-of-poverty rate by 53 per cent in 2004, rising to 71 per cent by 2011. It shows that between 2005 and 2010 Ireland moved from the middle towards the top of the range of EU15 countries in poverty reduction effectiveness, as measured with respect to the poverty gap."

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

I think Spanish is far from one of the easiest languages to learn for English speakers. It’s back to front, conjugations are everything, 4 past tenses, subjunctive which doesn’t really exist in English, genders for everything. Subtle..and I mean miniscule differences in pronunciation and spelling (i instead of e for example) completely changes the meaning and context of a word or sentence.

example from today ‘i suppose you she has sent already it but if* no here you have it’ is the literal translation of a sentence.

it’s easy to understand on a superficial level but actually having a real conversation is a pain in the ass. Unless you don’t mind constantly having the wrong structure and letting them pick through it for understanding

* sí is yes
                si is if
                Every language is a bit of a bitch to learn - I feel ya, but the metrics used to judge how easy a language is to learn has Spanish at the easiest or near easiest in every list for a reason.
                It takes just 600 hours to learn to a professional level. Reading it is easy, speaking it is easy because words are written like they are pronounced (and are like you would expect), a lot of the words you can understand without knowing a word of Spanish. I was singing a Spanish song the other day and I knew what the whole thing meant, like French etc a lot of words are similar to English.

Compare that with Hungarian that I am learning which will take twice as long to learn, it is very hard to read and I can't even say the words (it is phonetic too but just impossible to say right), nor even hear the difference in the way they say things, so I can't even tell that I am wrong. That is only the beginning of the difficulty, it isn't similar to any other language apart from one some mountain tribe speaks, you can't guess what a word means, then you get into the 35 cases, creating words from just suffixes and prefixes without the actual word itself, speaking in idioms etc. Agglutinative languages are cool though, throwing out megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért into a sentence.

After a few weeks of Portuguese (essentially Spanish) I was able to have a basic conversation with my ex - after months of Hungarian I can't say my girlfriends name right). It's a joke how hard I am finding this compared to French and Portuguese. Then get into Chinese etc and it's even worse. Yeah certain aspects are a bitch in every language but it's easier than others was my point, and any benefit learned from learning French isn't really going to speed things up that much, even if you now know about the sex of a chair. I guess it could in the sense that learning any language makes the next easier, unless it is Hungarian.
                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-03-21, 13:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  I see from the lecture notes also a rather shocking quote from a minister at the time. And an even more shocking use of green text. I think because it was a course delivered to people from Boston, and I assumed they would want to hear about Ireland written in green.

6paW3To.png
                  The 15% would suggest republic, as would independence I guess.
                  Here’s the wiki link. Data from CSO allegedly.

In 1922 it was 3,070,000, the low point was 40 years, but it was 250,000. A drop, but far less significant than suggested. Of the last 2 centuries it looks to be the most stable era in terms of population.

Comment

That's seems to be a table of Gini coefficients for income equality, the wealth equality one seems to differ greatly. I was taking it from the Wealth Gini (2019) column in the table here.
                    that looks like Netherlands correlates with Nordic countries and Belgium with France? So maybe if you had looked south from Brussels instead of north, your surprise would have turned to nodding agreement.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I have no idea as to the truth of the allegations against McDermott, but I'm taken aback by how easy it would be to maliciously destroy someone's reputation via social media.
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Was speaking to a reporter there, as I must now be on some list of people to call, and I could swear he was saying he was glad I wasn't the prick i seemed to be on social media. He didn't directly say it, but it seemed implied in how what he said was said.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                          I have no idea as to the truth of the allegations against McDermott, but I'm taken aback by how easy it would be to maliciously destroy someone's reputation via social media.
                          who is McDermott?

Comment

Was speaking to a reporter there, as I must now be on some list of people to call, and I could swear he was saying he was glad I wasn't the prick i seemed to be on social media. He didn't directly say it, but it seemed implied in how what he said was said.
                            did he (a) still specify that you're a prick IRL but not as big a one as your social media posting would imply or (b), that you're not a prick at all IRL, which is incredibly surprising, almost to the point of indicating some kind of personality disorder?

Comment

He was more veering towards (a) definitely. It wasn't an exculpation (if thats the word I think it is - letting off the hook?).

I really need to do media training if this is to become a regular thing, as I crafted an entire treatise on Irish banking based around why I bought AIB shares because there was so little competition that they would be able to exploit their customers for the foreseeable future. While I'd guess there's a smarter way of putting things.

Comment

He was more veering towards (a) definitely. It wasn't an exculpation (if thats the word I think it is - letting off the hook?).

I really need to do media training if this is to become a regular thing, as I crafted an entire treatise on Irish banking based around why I bought AIB shares because there was so little competition that they would be able to exploit their customers for the foreseeable future. While I'd guess there's a smarter way of putting things.
                                seems like a perfectly reasonable argument to me. Captive market, throws off a few billion a year in profit, at historic low valuations.

It's not sexy, but there was a reason Warren Buffett likes railroads and insurance companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

that looks like Netherlands correlates with Nordic countries and Belgium with France? So maybe if you had looked south from Brussels instead of north, your surprise would have turned to nodding agreement.
                                  I've just realised I got it mixed up and its the Dutch who are the unequal ones and the Belgians the equal.

Comment

I've just realised I got it mixed up and its the Dutch who are the unequal ones and the Belgians the equal.
                                    That's where "Going Dutch" comes from, no sharing, every man,woman & child for themselves.

Comment

I was wondering because even in Amsterdam you can take a short trip in the city and be in a really poor area with not a white person to be seen, and I found it so strange.

my 7070 postcount looks so attractive.

Comment

Have a buddy, Brazilian chap with a Hungarian girlfriend, and he is learning Hungarian, he is one of the smartest peeps I know and he says it is the most difficult thing to learn. Echos pretty much all of what Tar says. He doesn't even know when he's not right, and when he is wrong, he can't tell the difference.

When I was off galavanting in 'Nam (you don't know man... you weren't there) I tried to learn some Vietnamese. So god damn difficult. Settled for just saying "Oh my god" which delighted most Vietnamese people and some swear words, which delighted the rest.

Denny Crane Boys Noize! Man. I don't recall the context of The Guard?, but man, blast, Im gonna stick on some Digitalism, Boyz Noize and Justice this morning for a little trip down memory lane.
                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Great to see that McDermott lad fall off his high horse, some virtue signaller. One time I'm actually funking for rumours to be true.

Most surprising thing I found out while reading about him is that he has a girlfriend. Always just assumed he was gay.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                            Great to see that McDermott lad fall off his high horse, some virtue signaller. One time I'm actually funking for rumours to be true.

Most surprising thing I found out while reading about him is that he has a girlfriend. Always just assumed he was gay.
                                            He a very nice fella in person, bought a few floors off me a short while ago
                                            Hope he gets himself back on track

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Seems to possibly be a bit of a rapist in person when around teenagers though.

Comment

https://www.tiktok.com/@waterfordwhi...from_webapp=v1

Comment

McDermott sitting on a dead horse too or what are the allegations?
                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                    McDermott sitting on a dead horse too or what are the allegations?
                                                    I think this is the main one. Reputed to be a few others. Trial by social media so far.

Comment

I still have no idea who this McDermott character is. Suspect I might be better off in my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Seems to possibly be a bit of a rapist in person when around teenagers though.
                                                        shocking if that’s the case

Comment

Probably merit since he's leaving his job at 2FM (no idea who he is just a quick google)

Comment

The paper headlines all very between the lines. "Shock exit" after two weeks time off.

Comment

What is it about Jockeys disc jockeys and high horses these days .

Comment

Ah yeah. Sure what's a bit of rape of a minor when hes a sound lad buying floors would ya stop.

Comment

I still have no idea who this McDermott character is. Suspect I might be better off in my ignorance.
                                                                  You're definitely better off. A despicable character. Was spearheading the "me too" movement in Ireland and saying we should always believe women 100% regardless of whether they could be making false claims or not. Big advocate of the "I believe her" shtick after the rugby players were acquitted up north.

Funny all this is coming out now with him as the accused. Wonder how he feels. Gobshite.

Comment

I'm going to need to hear more about the floor angle before forming an opinion.

Comment

Ah yeah. Sure what's a bit of rape of a minor when hes a sound lad buying floors would ya stop.
                                                                      I didn’t get to read all the stories young man
                                                                      I just commented that when I had talked to him he seemed a nice fella
                                                                      having read some of the stories now been put up if proven I would change my view

Comment

ah dobby was born taking the piss john.

Comment

ah dobby was born taking the piss john.
                                                                          True story. Squirted right up into me aul lads eye apparently.

Comment

In other news, got engaged. Lockdown doing strange things to people. May as well get married so. Poor woman.

Comment

Jut so it's not all sitting on dead horses and the other thing (haven't read anything or heard of him), there's also this in the world:

Comment

Hon Dob.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Martial injured I suspect riga mortis.

Marital. Congrats Dobby

Comment

You're definitely better off. A despicable character. Was spearheading the "me too" movement in Ireland and saying we should always believe women 100% regardless of whether they could be making false claims or not. Big advocate of the "I believe her" shtick after the rugby players were acquitted up north.

Funny all this is coming out now with him as the accused. Wonder how he feels. Gobshite.
                                                                                    Whole thing is mad.

I'm not making a call on it either way until this girl makes a formal complaint to Gardai and comes out publically (although her coming out publically isn't really super necessary). IDGAF if that makes part of the problem of the societal problem of not believing women.

Comment

Think he was one of the more vocal opponents to certain lyrics in Fairytale of New York, going so far as to refuse to play it. May be thinking of someone else though.

All i know is that they lost a listener to 2fm in the mornings when he took over the Breakfast Show. Not sure how anyone would want to be woken up to his voice and that of his co-host tbh. A load of firecrackers next to the bed would be a more pleasant alarm.

Comment

wahaay dobs! hopefully this will ensure an even more reliable leaking of key political televised announcements.

Comment

Hollie Doyle gone off on one at Kempton tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                                            Think he was one of the more vocal opponents to certain lyrics in Fairytale of New York, going so far as to refuse to play it. May be thinking of someone else though.

All i know is that they lost a listener to 2fm in the mornings when he took over the Breakfast Show. Not sure how anyone would want to be woken up to his voice and that of his co-host tbh. A load of firecrackers next to the bed would be a more pleasant alarm.
                                                                                            No that was him re fairytale, think he was at the same with money for nothing by dire straits
                                                                                            was also a mental health grifter
                                                                                            Think he gets plenty of hate sure to above so when I heard the rumours thought it could be a wind up on him but events re his job make it look like there’s something there
                                                                                            what is it about these male feminists

on a slightly related note- never trust a man who wears a neckerchief

Comment

Why aren’t we seeing names and pictures of the Davy scumbags?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

You're correct, that was him. Made a massive deal out of it and was the main reason I just assumed he was gay.

Identifies as a feminist, always wary of men identifying as such.

Has "Be Kind" on his Instagram heading. Fucking lol at that. Its dangerous taking the moral high ground. The fall is a lot harder from up there.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

No that was him re fairytale, think he was at the same with money for nothing by dire straits
                                                                                                  was also a mental health grifter
                                                                                                  Think he gets plenty of hate sure to above so when I heard the rumours thought it could be a wind up on him but events re his job make it look like there’s something there
                                                                                                  what is it about these male feminists

on a slightly related note- never trust a man who wears a neckerchief
                                                                                                  ha, thats some phrase. Its definitely a thing though.

Comment

Master of Puppets released 35 years ago today.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                      Master of Puppets released 35 years ago today.

So good, I bought a guitar just to learn their songs as a kid and this was one of the first.

Comment

My brothers ex tried to get him fired by his agent by making stuff up like this, thankfully she was very bad at it. She went as far as writing letters to them, address written in her writing pretending to be a law firm etc.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-03-21, 21:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

So good, I bought a guitar just to learn their songs as a kid and this was one of the first.
                                                                                                          I'm a fair bit older than you I'd think and so did I - when it came out! (Along with Among the Living by Anthrax and the undisputed king of 'em all, Slayer's Reign in Blood.)

Comment

Where do UL get off, threatening to suspend or expel students, caught partying off campus? Surely what students do off campus, is of no concern to a third level education service provider.

Comment

Where do UL get off, threatening to suspend or expel students, caught partying off campus? Surely what students do off campus, is of no concern to a third level education service provider.
                                                                                                              Course it is, they are endangering other students. Same as somebody who assaulted me getting in shit, even though it happened off campus.

Comment

Surely what students do off campus, is of no concern to a third level education service provider.
                                                                                                                I think you'll find it is.

Comment

I think you'll find it is.
                                                                                                                  Well, look at what we're dealing with here.

A.
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Gentlemen of Harvard

maxresdefault.jpg

B.
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Gentlemen of the University of Limerick

chav-scum.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    Course it is, they are endangering other students. Same as somebody who assaulted me getting in shit, even though it happened off campus.
                                                                                                                    Assault is a criminal offence, a matter for the civil authorities, not some university official for goodness sake. Same with the breach of covid restrictions.
                                                                                                                    So if I sign up and pay for up to an Open University course, they can police my behavior. Please...

Comment

It's got nothing in the slightest to do with the uni. The uni is neither the mother nor the court of adults turning up to be educated in a subject. Now if they were doing stuff on campus, sure. That could be argued as a risk to other students. But random things done outside uni. Fuck off.

Comment

We need to slow down on cancel culture. A random letter written about a dude ends his career, when literally the only thing we really know about him is that he is nice when buying floorboards. Chuck students out for acting like students in their own spare time. .

Comment

Assault is a criminal offence, a matter for the civil authorities, not some university official for goodness sake. Same with the breach of covid restrictions.
                                                                                                                          So if I sign up and pay for up to an Open University course, they can police my behavior. Please...
                                                                                                                          The gards are the ones who told me to report it to the university for it to be taken care of by them also. Code of conduct, endangering other students etc.
                                                                                                                          It's not dissimilar to a job, where people are fired all the time for stuff outside of work. There are of course limits, but willfully endangering others is not brushing off them. I'd say the majority of bullying in schools takes place off grounds, via internet etc. Children often kill themselves over it (a friend in my school did), should schools have no say? They have an onus to protect their students and ensure the smooth running of the school.

What happens when these kids go to uni and some vulnerable student dies from Covid? Or the school has to be shut down due to an outbreak - somebodies family member dies, and the school knew about these parties. Oh, our hands were tied? Boys will be boys?

(I haven't read whatever the story is, talking about in general)
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-03-21, 00:31.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X