• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
    Zutrophs gaf gave me a headache.
    Did he win?
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      Wtf are RTÉ doing having John mcgurk of Gript on prime time to debate the protests at the weekend ?
      balance? Fucking idiots- there is no upside to this- just giving a platform to plausibollocks
      Well it was either him or...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Did he win?
        Yes.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Car crash stuff by Russell.

Comment

Davy coning on to Prime Time to talk about Elliott got a feeling I'll be watching this one from behind the sofa

Comment

I've been boycotting sodastream for ages because of that factory in the occupied territories. But it seems they, ahem, shut that factory in 2015, and then shut themselves by selling themselves to Pepsi in 2018. I need an alert system for when to lift boycotts.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Surely they could have got someone better. Literally anyone.

Comment

Davy coning on to Prime Time to talk about Elliott got a feeling I'll be watching this one from behind the sofa
                  Ohhh boy.
                  sure like tis grand that kinda thing happens down the country, the only problem is mobile phones.

Reading Elliott's statement he must have been holding back the laughter when stating he had a phone call and without thinking needed to sit down.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Won't somebody think of the poor horses feelings.
                    is he for real?
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Africa's biggest problems are governmental and environmental. The former is, at best, continuing on a track of corruption and extremely weak democratic institutions. The latter is worse - desertification and habitat destruction are accelerating, and population growth only exacerbates this.

So I wouldn't share your optimism....
                      I think that all tends to be temporary. That things eventually come together when education reaches the right level and critical mass. Even that aside, the fact that its going to be just about half of the worlds population does give some cause for consideration as to the impact they will eventually have. We'll see in due course, of course. America seems to share your view and has permanently written off Africa. China and Europe (because of colonial links in part) seem to see a much more positive potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        I've been boycotting sodastream for ages because of that factory in the occupied territories. But it seems they, ahem, shut that factory in 2015, and then shut themselves by selling themselves to Pepsi in 2018. I need an alert system for when to lift boycotts.
                        Though you'd want to boycott Pepsi because of the Michael Jackson connection? Even if he was ahead of the curve with the face masks.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Just incoherent nonsense. I respect both the bravery and the loyalty shown but that was disastrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Reading Elliott's statement he must have been holding back the laughter when stating he had a phone call and without thinking needed to sit down.
                            No way - he said that?! Surely not.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Though you'd want to boycott Pepsi because of the Michael Jackson connection? Even if he was ahead of the curve with the face masks.
                              We need a chart for who to boycott.

I'd happily boycott Pepsi for striking agreements with places to only sell Pepsi because they know thats the only way people will drink their crap.

Comment

Davy held up well, he looked and sounded more shook than I've ever seen him.

Comment

I think that all tends to be temporary.
                                  Environmental destruction is temporary?

Phew, tell the Sahara to go into retreat!

Comment

Davy held up well, he looked and sounded more shook than I've ever seen him.
                                    He didn't hold up at all. He literally made no sense.

Whatever points he was trying to make just unravelled.

Comment

No way - he said that?! Surely not.
                                      From strewels quote previously:

"I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking, I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished"
                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

He didn't hold up at all. He literally made no sense.

Whatever points he was trying to make just unravelled.
                                        Could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                          Surely they could have got someone better. Literally anyone.
                                          Mick O'Leary must really be regretting his decision to pick a fight with WPM now.

Comment

Could have been a lot worse.
                                            Only if he was wearing a horse's head mask.

Actually, someone media-savvy like GAB could have done a polished job in that slot and left everyone feeling vaguely sorry for Elliott, paving the way for a comeback. Opportunity missed.

Comment

I'm proactively screwing them over by undercutting their most profitable line.

Some of their cylinders have an anti refill mechanism built in but it doesn't really work unless you fill them under too high a pressure.

Comment

Banana Watch update.

Here is some banana art made from merely bruising the banana.

wfjplyt32jk61.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=63cd54557473fa27f96d19fd7721536ef6c26f14.png

Comment

I like it strew - destroying them from the inside!

Comment

I was given a Sodastream as a present last year and I get great use out of it just for fizzy water which I use loads of. After a while using it you stop noticing how much you are not spending on plastic bottles and instead notice the €20 a go they are charging for a refill of gas that only carbonates 60L. When this lockdown came along it became impossible to get refills so I looked into getting set up to refill them myself. Bought an adaptor from a UK site and a 10 L cylinder of food grade CO2. The gas arrived today and was very much bigger than I expected at nearly a meter tall but was really easy to set up. I'm expecting the cost of a refill to drop from €20 to less than €2 a go.

Looks a bit mad
                                                    SPOILER
                                                    Deets please. Got a, sodastream a few months ago instead of buying countless San pelegrino bottles, love it, so keen to try this out as well as refills run out pretty quickly.

Comment

Actually, someone media-savvy like GAB could have done a polished job in that slot and left everyone feeling vaguely sorry for Elliott, paving the way for a comeback. Opportunity missed.
                                                      Too soon for that IMO. If I could give a fuck about him I'd be worried for Gordons wellbeing, you would hope there are some good people around him. Can't see a better option than him disappearing for a long time, I suppose if there was any chance of that happening it would be down to how well he has or hasn't managed his money.

Jaysus BBC giving it another big feature now Lizzie Kelly and all.

Comment

Environmental destruction is temporary?

Phew, tell the Sahara to go into retreat!
                                                        wha. the sahara has grown ten percent in 100 years. how much do you anticipate it growing in the next 40 years. And environmental destruction is indeed temporary, thankfully. thats why we don't have a hole in our ozone layer anymore (i think?) and most of Europe doesn't smell of coal dust and lead like it used to.

Its amazing how many places that are written off as zero-hopes suddenly click when things come together. We live in one. Our population fell from about 4 mil post independence to 2.5 mil at lowest ebb. Every young person shipped out, almost until the 80s. The butt of jokes all around the world. Paddy Irishman. And look at us now. Africa will be a whole new step in the growth of the world. Righting the final wrong. Its going to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Deets please. Got a, sodastream a few months ago instead of buying countless San pelegrino bottles, love it, so keen to try this out as well as refills run out pretty quickly.
                                                          this is the adapter I got
                                                          Say goodbye to expensive cylinder refills, our CO2 Refilling Adapter is used to refill SodaStream cylinders from larger donor cylinders, and does so in the safest and easiest way possible.

there are cheaper versions for instance

Then you need to get a cylinder of food grade CO2 initial cylinder will be about double the price of refills and the price varies a lot depending on where you get it. Cheapest are fire extinguisher companies who do it as a sideline.

Comment

This is what the taxpayer's money is propping up. Thick, ignorant muck-savages. The mind boggles.

Comment

Mick O'Leary must really be regretting his decision to pick a fight with WPM now.
                                                              Price just went up

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

makes awesome steak tartare.

i'd read somewhere that the french equine butcher market was massively responsible for the continuation of the huge number of horse breed lines. Without it, so many would have gone extinct.
                                                                Rose tinted glasses.

The opposite happens now, take for example the homogenising of pig breeds in China to produce more food, and then the inevitable outbreak of disease.
                                                                Won't be long until the next pandemic develops from these scenarios.
                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

SP, Id chain that cylinder to something if it was me

Can be dangerous if for some reason they set off on a wee trip for themselves

Comment

Wanda Vision is some trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Silly Gilly View Post
                                                                      This is what the taxpayer's money is propping up. Thick, ignorant muck-savages. The mind boggles.
                                                                      You are a very angry women Gilly all that hate is going to eat you up

Comment

Bought a bottle of 18 year old scotch whiskey (caol ila) , I’ll be opening it up soon and mixing it with a dash of Bitcoin investor tears

Comment

Comment

Comment

I read something a few years ago about population that used Ireland as an example - essentially showing for all countries that their growth spurt happens precisely when they have enough young brightly educated folk. That it was an unstoppable force. I think it was a New Yorker article maybe. The point was - the whole thing is nothing to do with policies, political parties, public services, etc once you get to that tipping point, it was just inevitable. That was my vague reading of where Africa is headed.

Would that be the type of thing that ye would look at in geography? I'd be curious to hear if thats just one particular view I read, or some sort of accepted wisdom.
                                                                              I thought once you had an educated pop your growth rate declines massively? Usually, once a country gets developed life expectancy lengthens, there's less child mortality, so for a short period the pop grows massively, but once people get educated birth rates drop, eventually the country goes into population decline (Germany/Japan etc)/

Comment

This is a bbv mash up.

I remember IanMc (remember him) posting Feist years ago
                                                                                And then I think Theresa posted about the Guard loving Boys Noize

Comment

I was given a Sodastream as a present last year and I get great use out of it just for fizzy water which I use loads of. After a while using it you stop noticing how much you are not spending on plastic bottles and instead notice the €20 a go they are charging for a refill of gas that only carbonates 60L. When this lockdown came along it became impossible to get refills so I looked into getting set up to refill them myself. Bought an adaptor from a UK site and a 10 L cylinder of food grade CO2. The gas arrived today and was very much bigger than I expected at nearly a meter tall but was really easy to set up. I'm expecting the cost of a refill to drop from €20 to less than €2 a go.

Looks a bit mad
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  Do they sell nos tanks that size?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I thought once you had an educated pop your growth rate declines massively? Usually, once a country gets developed life expectancy lengthens, there's less child mortality, so for a short period the pop grows massively, but once people get educated birth rates drop, eventually the country goes into population decline (Germany/Japan etc)/
                                                                                    I'm not buying that overpopulation is a driver for massive future growth tbh.

China took off after the One Child policy. Hitch loves China right? Well there's our perfect example right there - the Commies recognised that 'to be rich is glorious' but also were savvy enough to acknowledge that having overpopulation was not compatible with the goal of becoming an economic superpower.
                                                                                    Now you can argue about the means they took to achieve this policy objective (forced sterilisations, forced abortions etc - but it is a dictatorship after all so why would we be surprised) but it indubitably worked.

Comment

This is a bbv mash up.

I remember IanMc (remember him) posting Feist years ago
                                                                                      And then I think Theresa posted about the Guard loving Boys Noize

Blast from the past there. The days of Justice and getting wrecked at japanese popstars gigs
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

This is a tough look for Davys

Looks like Pascal Donohoe calling them a disgrace and a slap on the wrists is all they'll receive.
                                                                                        The CEO being one of the 16 certainly helps!

Could you do time for this type of carry on in the States?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                          This is a tough look for Davys

Looks like Pascal Donohoe calling them a disgrace and a slap on the wrists is all they'll receive.
                                                                                          The CEO being one of the 16 certainly helps!

Could you do time for this type of carry on in the States?
                                                                                          reads like market manipulation to me at first glance, so yes - perp walk on Wall St imo

Comment

I was reading about the economy of Mauritius last week, they've done a very good job for themselves. Especially with sod all natural resources.

I was also looking through tables of wealth inequality across countries, and I noticed that Holland is about the most equal whereas their neighbor Belgium is one of the most unequal. I found that strange.

Anyone any insight into that, particularly Belgium's inequality?

Comment

Yeah massively. But thats more going to be an impact on Africa in a hundred years rather than 30-40-50 years which is the timeframe I'm thinking in terms of when the kids might be able to use French.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                SP, Id chain that cylinder to something if it was me

Can be dangerous if for some reason they set off on a wee trip for themselves
                                                                                                Good plan, thanks. I've put it out in the shed was thinking about how best to secure a couple of hooks use two bungees should be ok to allow me leave the adaptor attached. Cylinder arrived in a well battered cardboard box, loose in the back of a nearly empty transit van!

Comment

Ted doing an excellent job of putting it all in context on radio now.

No punches pulled and taking both the personal and helicopter view.

Comment

I'm not buying that overpopulation is a driver for massive future growth tbh.

China took off after the One Child policy. Hitch loves China right? Well there's our perfect example right there - the Commies recognised that 'to be rich is glorious' but also were savvy enough to acknowledge that having overpopulation was not compatible with the goal of becoming an economic superpower.
                                                                                                    Now you can argue about the means they took to achieve this policy objective (forced sterilisations, forced abortions etc - but it is a dictatorship after all so why would we be surprised) but it indubitably worked.
                                                                                                    Well there you go proving admirably that when you start with a stupid premise (overpopulation) that you end with a stupid conclusion (forced sterilisation ftw). I don't know how you think that Africa is, or will be, overpopulated compared to your example of China. Africa is three times the size of China and has 200 million less people than China (1.2bn vs 1.4bn). They have a wee bit of scope to grow.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 03-03-21, 10:35.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                      I was reading about the economy of Mauritius last week, they've done a very good job for themselves. Especially with sod all natural resources.
                                                                                                      It's quite a cool place, I had to go there (oh the humanity!) for work a few times back in the day. Great mix of races and cultures.

I was also looking through tables of wealth inequality across countries, and I noticed that Holland is about the most equal whereas their neighbor Belgium is one of the most unequal. I found that strange.

Are you sure? The Gini coefficient is about the same for both. 25 vs 26. Ireland is 28...

Taxes are European-norm high in both IIRC.

Comment

Anyone got any more details on the extremely woke RTÉ presenter who has abruptly left his job
                                                                                                        all I’ve got is what pops up when you google his name on Reddit but all threads deleted- looks like another al Porter situation

Comment

Woke in RTE

Does not compute

Comment

Reached the 50% gain point in the AIB shares that I bought with Biden winnings. How do I go about setting up a hedge fund?

Comment

I definitely shared something a while ago that looked a little more in-depth at how inequality exists even if gini is low. I think it was related to how Ireland compares with other countries in Europe for transfer payments. Our Gini wasn't the lowest but we ranked 2nd to Norway in wealth transfer if I recall correctly.

Often gini figures look at income inequality rather than wealth inequality. Also, some countries which are more sparsely populated can have a lower gini than is true. I don't know the answer for Belgium specifically but I'd said there is a myriad of different figures which will give you a different narrative.

Comment

On the hedge fund note: I was talking to a guy a few days ago - Irish guy. Set up and runs a massive (imo - 50bn) hedge fund. Fully down to earth. Going to speak to the students next week as he likes to give back (he gives back in much more substantial ways also). I was working out afterwards given how successful his hedge fund is he's surely a billionaire - with standard fee structures of 2% per annum and 20% profit above benchmark?

Comment

Our population fell from about 4 mil post independence to 2.5 mil at lowest ebb.
                                                                                                                  Where are you getting those numbers from. Didn’t sound right, so glanced at Wikipedia. I think you’re confusing stats for the Republic and for the Island.

Republic was 3.0m around independence, and lowest was 2.8m in post war years.

The entire Island was 4.2m at independence. Never really dropped from there. Stayed at that level to the 60s, then it climbed to today.

Population was 8.2m at the outbreak of the famine.
                                                                                                                  Still a long way short of that today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    Where are you getting those numbers from. Didn’t sound right, so glanced at Wikipedia. I think you’re confusing stats for the Republic and for the Island.

Republic was 3.0m around independence, and lowest was 2.8m in post war years.

The entire Island was 4.2m at independence. Never really dropped from there. Stayed at that level to the 60s, then it climbed to today.

Population was 8.2m at the outbreak of the famine.
                                                                                                                    Still a long way short of that today.
                                                                                                                    It seems from checking some old lecture notes, I misremembered. I have a line there saying "Population fell about 400,000 (~15%) in the four decades after independence despite the high natural growth rate implied by births" . Thats 1922-1950, chapter 1 of The Economy of Ireland textbook maybe. So maybe 3.2 to 2.8m? wow, we went really low didn't we, even if I got the figures wrong by a cool million!

Comment

I see from the lecture notes also a rather shocking quote from a minister at the time. And an even more shocking use of green text. I think because it was a course delivered to people from Boston, and I assumed they would want to hear about Ireland written in green.

6paW3To.png

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Anyone got any more details on the extremely woke RTÉ presenter who has abruptly left his job
                                                                                                                        all I’ve got is what pops up when you google his name on Reddit but all threads deleted- looks like another al Porter situation
                                                                                                                        heard about it last night.
                                                                                                                        metoo'd if you look at the wayback archive of the reddit link you were given.
                                                                                                                        He was front and centre of the believe women bit at the start of metoo as well
                                                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 03-03-21, 12:14.
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Are you sure? The Gini coefficient is about the same for both. 25 vs 26. Ireland is 28...

Taxes are European-norm high in both IIRC.
                                                                                                                          That's seems to be a table of Gini coefficients for income equality, the wealth equality one seems to differ greatly. I was taking it from the Wealth Gini (2019) column in the table here.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X