X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, all of us glued to it already

Comment

Dramatic ott news. Removed from car by JAWS OF LIFE.

Comment

If you look at the tiger threads on boards there’s a few comments from yesterday about a promo event tiger appeared at yesterday looking in bad nick movement wise and eyes looking droopy similar to his old mugshot- good chance of painkillers being involved here

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Just found out an Irish Times sub is free for students and I'm wondering what else I'm missing out on that people know about?

Assume everyone here knew about this but long for anyone that's a student and not signed up
          The Irish Times student subscription offers free unlimited access to The Irish Times online on all devices including archive access, Simplex & Crosaire Crosswords, free eBooks and student resources.
          Free banking, half priced Spotify and Amazon prime probably best.
          Unidays has loads of online discounts you'll never use.
          Leap card has tons of brick and mortar retail discounts that you'll never use.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            The 20p came in in 1986, the 1985 ones were around for testing them the previous year for vending machines etc.

Funnily enough I was on Vcoins today looking at Alexander the Great coins. It's funny that ancient Roman etc. coins millennia old are cheap. Apparently due to their abundance, lack of demand, lack of metal worth, and difficulty of authenticating. Still seems strange to me though.

I was cracking up laughing listening to my latest Darby O'Gill and the Good People chapter today. Cracking little story about how the fairies came to Ireland. You can have a read of it here, but it's more fun hearing the language read to you.
            Yeah I was looking at roman coins before. Seems mad really, I guess plenty are fake.

Probably still people out there trying to sell millennium coins.

Comment

Look like a fell asleep at the wheel thing

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                He's done that a few times iirc? Under the influence.

Strange how someone of that wealth wouldn't have a chauffeur to ferry them round.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

# PrayForTheCKid
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet and founder of City Lights bookshop, dies aged 101

A counter-cultural behemoth who was, at least in part, responsible for my beatnik love affair when I picked up Ginsberg's 'Howl' (which he published) at a second hand bookshop in my first week as a fresher over 30 years ago.

"Returning to the US in 1951, he was drawn to California as a place to start afresh. “San Francisco had a Mediterranean feeling about it,” he told the New York Times. “I felt it was a little like Dublin when Joyce was there. You could walk down Sackville Street and see everyone of any importance in one walk.”

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      Free banking, half priced Spotify and Amazon prime probably best.
                      Unidays has loads of online discounts you'll never use.
                      Leap card has tons of brick and mortar retail discounts that you'll never use.

​​​​​​
                      Ty, got the half price spotify after Murdrum posted earlier. Don't use Prime and have no use for it atm but will keep it in mind if I sign up. Must look into the banking. Pay feck all in fees anyway but if I can pay less, I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                        Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet and founder of City Lights bookshop, dies aged 101

A counter-cultural behemoth who was, at least in part, responsible for my beatnik love affair when I picked up Ginsberg's 'Howl' (which he published) at a second hand bookshop in my first week as a fresher over 30 years ago.

"Returning to the US in 1951, he was drawn to California as a place to start afresh. “San Francisco had a Mediterranean feeling about it,” he told the New York Times. “I felt it was a little like Dublin when Joyce was there. You could walk down Sackville Street and see everyone of any importance in one walk.”

This is where we mostly knew him from

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Resident Alien, a new series, might be right up a few alleys.

First episode is decent.

The first seven minutes are in this clip and it starts ridic strong.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Zuutroph on Home of the Year next week.

https://betkings.ie/ecps/

Irish based, Irish licenced, on the GG Network

Comment

Originally posted by BetKings,ie View Post
                                https://twitter.com/zuroph/status/13...283374082?s=19
                                Class. How would one go about getting the show, just to watch out of curiosity?
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by BetKings,ie View Post
                                  https://twitter.com/zuroph/status/13...283374082?s=19
                                  Yes, love seeing this type of his house on it.

Looking forward to seeing the world's most famous dishwasher too

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Yes, love seeing this type of his house on it.

Looking forward to seeing the world's most famous dishwasher too
                                    Still have the tweet pinned on his twitter I see. I think that was his career highlight

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Still have the tweet pinned on his twitter I see. I think that was his career highlight
                                      Bit cynical there Mellor .

I now get Twitter alerts on my phone when I didnt request them. I know I can turn them off but how can they suddenly start notifying me . Seems odd.

Tiger ok ? In as much as I hate the OTT fanboy hurt , the man himself is a living game changing legend His putting was in the stratosphere. Maybe we'll see him plaing again . Fingers crossed .

Comment

Tiger ok ? In as much as I hate the OTT fanboy hurt , the man himself is a living game changing legend His putting was in the stratosphere. Maybe we'll see him plaing again . Fingers crossed .
                                        I thought Doc River(76ers coach) made a great point a few years ago regarding LeBron & Tiger

Comment

Woop, an entire day of test cricket in the background on the tv.

I had no idea where Ahmedabad was. Definitely a feature of 21st century life, that you can be completely unaware of the existence of mega-cities that have greater populations than Ireland.

Look down this list and see what the biggest city you never heard of is. Tianjin for me.

Comment

Guitar Pete 3.30 Doncaster

Comment

Accepting bribes not to back this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Must admit I didnt know the capital of Bangladesh

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Dongguan, Foshan, Shenyang and Suzhou are all new to me

Comment

If you win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition, you will be able to afford Premium Economy flights to Dhaka where you can savour the delights of Mangal Shobhajatra

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxRP5eFn_rwCSNIFyCTaIn2mG2qxQwIQMDtA&usqp=CAU.jpg

Comment

RANT:
                                                    Applied for a credit card in every single possible place in Ireland as I'm leaving next month and just want one for emergencies/renting cars in future. I cannot for the life of me get one. Also wanted to rent a car here in Ireland for the next month as my tax/insurance just expired and don't want to renew.

Avantgard said absolutely, no problem, just send us your last payslip - proceeded to do so, and they said oh no, it must be last month and they do not take the business closures/covid payments into account. I have a nice amount in my PTSB account, untouched for 3 years or so, and they instantly declined me as did KBC where I have an okay amount. Utterly tilting!!!

Literally going to have to find someone to pretend I'm their employee and pay them to pay me through government channels.. money laundering legitimate money just to have a hope of getting a credit card. FML
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Bit cynical there Mellor .
                                                      Not sure what you mean.
                                                      Murdun referenced his dishwasher, I had literally just seen the tweet a few hours ago. It was a global news story at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

you get free rare cards I believe.
                                                        Tips...
                                                        Get on sorare data and see historic points and stuff
                                                        You want players who start over anything else. J League and K League will run all through summer so for me
                                                        its an avenue that'll keep the $$ ticking over.
                                                        There's a TON of dead money and some people are spending insane money on cards.
                                                        Signed up with your link there, no clue what is going on but if I can just log in and pick players that play games and make money I'm happy out.
                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Encouraging but also quite surreal to hear the outgoing boss of the GAA John Horan simply accepting that the government plan is what they have to work with, to paraphrase him: 'Yeah it would be great to get kids training going again but if you do that then you will be bringing all the parents as well, so lets see how the schools opening works out first'. No matter how hard Claire Byrne tried to get him to row in with the level of hysteria they are whipping up looking for a 'Clear Roadmap' - todays version of 'Meaningful Christmas' - he refused to catastrophise. The contrast with Alan Kelly wetting himself with his racist variant rhetoric and screechy demands for exact numbers and dates for reopening was striking.

Strange system the GAA have of having very short term presidents of varying competence, this lad appears to have done well through a difficult time. I suppose it fits in with the amateur ethos but it can't be ideal.

Comment

Thats gas, I've been working in Dhaka this morning and will be again tomorrow, virtually on a remote connection with a lad standing in front of a machine pressing the buttons for me.

A couple of months ago, I thought I was working on a test machine in the banks IT test office and started doing some experiments that fired cash out the front of an ATM, turns out the machine was in a live branch and the cash was being fired out onto the street, at the branch they only realised what was happening when someone walked in from the street and told them!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Not sure what you mean.
                                                              Murdun referenced his dishwasher, I had literally just seen the tweet a few hours ago. It was a global news story at the time.
                                                              Win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition and you can buy multiple kitchen appliances.

Such,as, eh, this Ruth Bader Ginsburg toaster.

Comment

This is what Zuroph's house looks like:

SPOILER

Comment

Where are you off to Mdoug?

Comment

Judas and the Black Messiah

Can't say this worked for me. some great performances but the overall film was a bit meh.

Comment

i just couldn't live in that. ugh.

Comment

Each to their own, but I have a headache from just seeing that!

Comment

There's no way that actual human children live in that house

Comment

Aged 55. Too young .

Gary 2 fingers Halpin RIP

Comment

I had a look on his wife's instagram, not my taste but clearly she's very creative.

I don't think photos 1,2 & 4 look particularly outrageous but the child's room in pic 3 is probably a bit out there for me.

Comment

Our home is the polar opposite in terms of neatness
                                                                                I'd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                  RANT:
                                                                                  Applied for a credit card in every single possible place in Ireland as I'm leaving next month and just want one for emergencies/renting cars in future. I cannot for the life of me get one. Also wanted to rent a car here in Ireland for the next month as my tax/insurance just expired and don't want to renew.

Avantgard said absolutely, no problem, just send us your last payslip - proceeded to do so, and they said oh no, it must be last month and they do not take the business closures/covid payments into account. I have a nice amount in my PTSB account, untouched for 3 years or so, and they instantly declined me as did KBC where I have an okay amount. Utterly tilting!!!

Literally going to have to find someone to pretend I'm their employee and pay them to pay me through government channels.. money laundering legitimate money just to have a hope of getting a credit card. FML
                                                                                  You have to show a bank that you've a steady income (full time employment) regardless of what's on deposit, otherwise back to the drawing board. Banks these days will make no exceptions. Also make sure to look for a small-ish limit on the application (< €1.5k). The only other option would be getting a student credit card if you were in full time education. You'll need to have a letter from the employer showing your full time status in the absence of multiple deposits for your wages over several months. I don't think you're going to have any luck with this I'm afraid.

I remember looking for a 10k car loan a few years back and no bank would give me a proper rate without it being cash secured (you make a 2-3k deposit from savings that can't be touched during the loan). To go "unsecured" as they put it was about 30% higher of an interest rate. They are punitive in terms of requirements for anything these days.
                                                                                  Last edited by coillcam; 24-02-21, 12:39.

Comment

I had a look on his wife's instagram, not my taste but clearly she's very creative.

I don't think photos 1,2 & 4 look particularly outrageous but the child's room in pic 3 is probably a bit out there for me.
                                                                                    Old Chris Rock line about a married man thinking he owns a house

"When you go home tonight, i want you to try, to try to hang up a picture of your mother"

Anyone who lives near him and is looking to renovate should ask for the contact details of the painter and whomever did the flooring.

If he/she did it themselves, they should probably do it for a living!
                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 24-02-21, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                      Resident Alien, a new series, might be right up a few alleys.

First episode is decent.

The first seven minutes are in this clip and it starts ridic strong.

yeah it's really good.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

DeadParrot - I presume you will be the 1st person online for this one

THE IRISH TIMES
                                                                                        Dear XXXXX,

Join us on Thursday, March 11th at 7.30pm for an exclusive interview with nutritionist, model and TanOrganic Brand Ambassador Rosanna Davison.

Sit down and put your feet up as Irish Times columnist Jen Hogan chats to the new mum of three for an open and honest conversation on family, the challenge of balance in life, pregnancy, keeping fit during pregnancy, nutritional foods to eat, tips on coping with pregnancy in a pandemic, self-care & life as a new parent.

Each attendee will receive a voucher redeemable on online orders from TanOrganic and, on the night, we’ll give away a TanOrganic hamper to one lucky attendee. Each attendee will get a €5.00 voucher redeemable on TanOrganic.

Best wishes,
                                                                                        The Irish Times

* TanOrganic voucher not valid on minis or tanning accessories
                                                                                        ** No refunds.

Comment

I know it’s intentionally eclectic. But I wouldn’t be a fan either. Too many patterns clashing. Conflicting shades of green that don’t not really go with each other. reminds me of people who mismatch clothes on purpose.

I also noticed on instragram that’s she some diy/stylist promotor with crown paints. So I said that’s a factor in it being eye-catching and focused on paint /diy furniture upcycling.
                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 24-02-21, 14:31.

Comment

Reading & Leeds music festivals going ahead as planned in August.

That feels so close yet we seem so far away from anything even resembling a music festival.

Brexit FTW

Comment

Reading & Leeds music festivals going ahead as planned in August.

That feels so close yet we seem so far away from anything even resembling a music festival.

Brexit FTW
                                                                                              Are people booking any holidays in joyful optimism or sitting on their hands in wait and see mode? We booked two separate weeks in July\August for Cork and Donegal, plus also flights to Copenhagen in late Oct.

'Feels' like both should be OK....ish

Comment

Mrs D3 currently in jabbing centre for jabbage.

Will report of side-effects such as extreme impatience with spouse\children.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Are people booking any holidays in joyful optimism or sitting on their hands in wait and see mode? We booked two separate weeks in July\August for Cork and Donegal, plus also flights to Copenhagen in late Oct.

Almost pulled the trigger on a vegas trip for xmas, everything refundable up to dec so seems relatively risk free financially but realistically not sure I’ll want to travel without being able to control what other people around me are doing especially somewhere in America.

truth is there are far too many people who aren’t planning on getting the vaccine for me to risk anything before I’m sure I’ve got it.

think we’re likely to see at least one more set of lockdowns after the next opening up.
                                                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

booked St Malo in august and hopefully going to a wedding in July in Brittany also, so taking a week off for that one. We'll be fine UK side, just hoping no more quarantine on the French side

Friends my age in other boroughs have already been called up for vaccination

Comment

We had/have weekends booked here between March to June each month.
                                                                                                      One booking for Cork in October too but nothing abroad.

We have a 1k voucher for Aer Lingus from our NY trip which is in fact a real voucher valid for 5 years opposed to simply a change of time/location so that's handy.

Outside of a probable work trip near the end of the year, we wont be looking at anything abroad in 21 but I do think you'll get abroad handy enough around that time.

Comment

Dongguan, Foshan, Shenyang and Suzhou are all new to me

I sometimes wish I didn't have knowledge of the above cities but we have offices in three of the above and Shenyang would be serviced by our Dalian office. Looking at your wiki list, I'm 81 for 81 with offices in the vast majority.

My equivalent in Tianjin is a right bollix who I regularly have to argue with over sums of money that wouldn't be large enough to get one entry to your legendary Cheltenham competition

Comment

Guitar Wanker

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                            RANT:

If you are having hassle getting a credit card get yourself a Curve card. Like revolut/n26 as in you can add multiple cards to it. But there is an option that it will allow it to be used as a credit card, now I've never used it and presume there's probably a fee involved but at least you have that worst case scenario.

Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i just couldn't live in that. ugh.
                                                                                                              I'd take it over that horrendous mansion that was posted. Though not quite as garish as the US ones I see.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-02-21, 16:36.

Comment

NFT market making me feel extra old and out of touch.

Comment

You backed it, didn't you?
                                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Mrs D3 currently in jabbing centre for jabbage.

Will report of side-effects such as extreme impatience with spouse\children.
                                                                                                                    Said all working very smoothly (it was all health service staff getting the jab in that location so presumably a good audience for such things)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                      NFT market making me feel extra old and out of touch.
                                                                                                                      Watched a couple of youtube vids but get lost quickly with the terminology when they stray from the basic idea of buy token then sell/trade/rent token.

Crypto punks selling for ridic money!

Comment

Said all working very smoothly (it was all health service staff getting the jab in that location so presumably a good audience for such things)
                                                                                                                        Sister had it done over a month ago, said she felt tired for days after getting the jab, but other than that was ok.
                                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

NFTs very cool start to real world signed transaction of assets.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X