This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Did this again in the instant pot the other day. Was just marveling at how tasty lamb is.
    Lamb is the greatest. Cooked a few lockdown indian curries with a lamb shoulder slow cooked on the bone. Being at home all day had really opened the menu options
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I reckon there will be 100% open travel within the EU by June. Doubt the Aussies will let us in, and we probably will not allow in people from the US.
      I like your optimism, really hope you're right for both holiday and work reasons
      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

I was thinking of you after posting it, apologies about that.

We had no real sweat once the decision was made to move it from NYC to Ireland because it was always only the two of us.

Hopefully you get the day you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I was thinking of you after posting it, apologies about that.

We had no real sweat once the decision was made to move it from NYC to Ireland because it was always only the two of us.

Hopefully you get the day you want.
          It was good timing, over the last couple of days have been informing the various people involved that we've provisionally booked another date for November. Current rescheduled date is beginning of April and don't think there's a hope of it happening.

Comment

We really need Raoul to tell us how many more GOP senators are likely to flip.

No chance of 17 imo. They'll use jurisdiction. Cassidy was torn to shreds at home apparently.

I'd say 8 total.

Get your guesses in.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Fergal Bowers had it on twitter.
              He was quoting a GP's union type, the plan is still for all of the over 70's cohort to have had first dose by mid April and second by mid May.

Listening to some of the bolshier doctors its easy to anticipate that they could 'create' problems such that supply will not be the only bottleneck however the funding for delivering the vaccine into arms is very generous and there are plenty of non doctor people like pharmacists and nurses available to take over if the GP's fail to deliver.

This rollout will be subject to a kind of scrutiny the medics have never seen before, there will be no tolerance for messing around from the public or politicians.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

He was quoting a GP's union type, the plan is still for all of the over 70's cohort to have had first dose by mid April and second by mid May.

Listening to some of the bolshier doctors its easy to anticipate that they could 'create' problems such that supply will not be the only bottleneck however the funding for delivering the vaccine into arms is very generous and there are plenty of non doctor people like pharmacists and nurses available to take over if the GP's fail to deliver.

This rollout will be subject to a kind of scrutiny the medics have never seen before, there will be no tolerance for messing around from the public or politicians.
                Yeah the first tweet he just asserted it with no hint of where it came from. Could do with a bit of good news in the next little while. The rate of decline in cases is down to nothing, we're looking at up to 12 weeks to get below 100 per day on some pessimistic (maybe) reading of current trends, and the vaccine roll-out feels glacial. I see Sputnik arguing with the EMA on twitter over whether or not they had submitted data for approval and someone on boards saying it looks like they used the wrong web form. Yikes.

Some one of the companies to come out and say they've somehow managed to exceed expectations on production by a hundred million doses would be nice.

Comment

All the lamb talk made me remember I still have half a lamb in my freezer. Any different receipes or ideas anyone has, please share. Have loads of loin chops, a few gigot and a couple of shanks left. Does everyone just use the leg for a traditional sunday lunch or jazz it up?
                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Watching Hands on a Hardbody tonight. Heard tell its epically good, way better than its rating suggests.
                    Kinda got its excellence (Quentin Tarantino described it as 'one of the greatest documentaries ever made'). Almost not being too bothered about having a story and just being a real slice of life. It definitely worked.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

8mh89qyqspg61.png

Comment

Kinda got its excellence (Quentin Tarantino described it as 'one of the greatest documentaries ever made'). Almost not being too bothered about having a story and just being a real slice of life. It definitely worked.
                        Another excellent surreal slice of life documentary.........

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                          All the lamb talk made me remember I still have half a lamb in my freezer. Any different receipes or ideas anyone has, please share. Have loads of loin chops, a few gigot and a couple of shanks left. Does everyone just use the leg for a traditional sunday lunch or jazz it up?
                          Just slow cook the shanks with onions and root vegetables. Nice to give then a quick glaze on the pan on high heat before the slow cooking with balsamic vinegar and butter and sprinkle generously with herbs and seasoning. A guaranteed winter winner.
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

watched Saint Maud yesterday. Powerful stuff. One for Hotspur (in the same vein as babadook imo) definitely. Some scenes sent shivers down my spine, doesn't happen often.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

It was good timing, over the last couple of days have been informing the various people involved that we've provisionally booked another date for November. Current rescheduled date is beginning of April and don't think there's a hope of it happening.
                              It appears things will be extended even longer than I expected based on what I’ve read this morning.

I think you’re making the right decision even in terms of how much mental energy that you devote to it.

The golf trip and 2 hotel breaks look out of the question now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                My favourite thing to do with a leg is to cut it into 2cm cubes and marinate it for 24 hours in a mix of c.300ml each of lemon juice and soy sauce you want plenty mixed in with 3 large or 6 small bulbs of garlic (yeah that's right bulbs not cloves).
                                After a day in that mix the meat is as good as cooked but if you take them out of the liquid put a few pieces on a skewer splash on a drop of olive oil and sear on a hot bbq or griddle pan and you can serve them however you like.

Comment

Jesus, I'm doing that.

How many lemons would you need to juice to get 300ml?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                    Jesus, I'm doing that.

About 5 tablespoons in one lemon is what I have in my head for some reason!
                                    airport, lol

Comment

One head-sized lemon or 178 peanut-sized lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Another excellent surreal slice of life documentary.........

Excellent. Old people freak me out in general, but will give it a go anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Jesus, I'm doing that.

I aid 300ml but TBH I've been doing this by feel for so long I'm guessing (IIRC it started with something I saw Keith Floyd do on TV) but for our annual camping trip where I get the butcher to cube two large legs I use about a dozen juicy lemons and maybe 20 if they are the shitty small ones, its the only time I ever use the citrus juicer attachment for the food processor.
                                          I used to do it in a bowl but now I always use a bag as it cuts down on the amount of marinade needed and does a great job of covering all the lamb.

It's a very simple recipe the main principals are equal amounts of lemon, soy and almost the same amount of garlic (creamed with a pestle and mortar is best but blitzed in a food processor is good )

Comment

I can taste the umami just thinking about it.

Looking to add something to my Saturday nights mix, that fits the bill.

Chateaubriand this week though.

Comment

Syrian food is amazing for the flavours they get off lamb. Not soy obv, but they use lemon a lot. Just a ridic fragrance that wafts off the lamb and envelops you as you devour it.

Comment

They're talking about the middle of June to have over 70s vaccinated now. Fucking hell.
                                                Look at the track record of the department rolling it out. Did we really expect any better ?

opposition were looking for a minister for vaccinations, buck stops there type of person...shockingly the govt denied it and didnt think it was a good idea.

They are afraid to put Donnely in front of a camera, thats how much faith is in him within his own organization.
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Look at the track record of the department rolling it out. Did we really expect any better ?
                                                  The Irish health service is excellent by just about any international comparison. One of the best in the world based on patient outcomes - not dying, and qualify of life years.

Your mind, like mine, is twisted by all that talk about trolleys. Which are just not important in terms of patient outcomes but are important to nursing unions as they use the trolley stat to campaign for higher pay on the grounds that there clearly isn't enough nurses so conditions need to improve.

Comment

The Irish health service is excellent by just about any international comparison. One of the best in the world based on patient outcomes - not dying, and qualify of life years.

Your mind, like mine, is twisted by all that talk about trolleys. Which are just not important in terms of patient outcomes but are important to nursing unions as they use the trolley stat to campaign for higher pay on the grounds that there clearly isn't enough nurses so conditions need to improve.
                                                    When is the last time you used the public health service here Hitch ?

MIL was diagnosed a few weeks ago with lung cancer that has now spread to her brain, doesnt look good, but she was getting various tests last week and was being taken to cat scan machine, turns out she had those tests 2 days before, why didnt they know ? They put her on steroids straight away, was back yesterday discussing radiation and chemo treatments and the oncologist asked her why was she still taking steroids...should have been off them weeks ago.

I know its all annicdotetly but even for me, i went with numbness in my arm 8 years ago, they told me i had carpel tunnel...we know how that worked out!

Mother a few years ago felt unwell while shopping, got sick, tightness in chest. Spent 4 or 5 nights in the hospital, they told her it was her stomach,100% got the feeling at the time they were only keeping her in for the billable nights to laya, when she got discharged she went to her own cardiologist and 2 days later was getting a stent in the blackrock.

I could go on and on and on, as i am sure lots here can.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Do you have a source for this? (beyond life expectancy figures)

Comment

Slightly off the topic but something I found interesting was that one of my best friends who is a cardiologist did a PHD a couple of years ago with one of the big hospitals in London, can't remember which. Anyway it was about stents. He said at the end of it between their study and other similar ones he's pretty convinced that stents don't work in the vast majority of cases. As in, they have no positive impact at all. Reckons the whole thing is more or less just a racket to keep surgeons billable hours up*

EDIT: I should say, no positive impact besides placebo
                                                        Last edited by Keane; 11-02-21, 12:17.

Comment

If you actually talk to doctors who work in the HSE they will tell you we're a joke.

Comment

Looks like IPB is phasing me out. Taking too long to log on these days. I remember the halcyon days of Instant site loading Where is Raoul at, I might have to join him. This site loading rejection is taking it’s toll on me. I have important things to say, you know. Will I have to post My Cheltenham this week to make sure I can have them in on time. It’s too stressful, can we move back to the old site? It’s 2021 , we have the technology. Cache has been cleared. You may have finally defeated me IPB. It was a good fight.

Comment

Slightly off the topic but something I found interesting was that one of my best friends who is a cardiologist did a PHD a couple of years ago with one of the big hospitals in London, can't remember which. Anyway it was about stents. He said at the end of it between their study and other similar ones he's pretty convinced that stents don't work in the vast majority of cases. As in, they have no positive impact at all. Reckons the whole thing is more or less just a racket to keep surgeons billable hours up*

Smihippocratic oath ?

Comment

Your friend sounds like he is talking out his hole...lol

Saw my mother dead on the ground back in 2018, blood pressure on the floor. Straight into the cathlab and they opened up whatever artery was blocked and stented it, that was a thursday, she was out on the sunday to watch Limerick win the AI.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Saw my mother dead on the ground back in 2018, blood pressure on the floor. Straight into the cathlab and they opened up whatever artery was blocked and stented it, that was a thursday, she was out on the sunday to watch Limerick win the AI.
                                                                  You're talking about the effect of the angioplasty she got to unblock the artery. The thing about stents and heart bypass surgery is that they don't show benefit above medication and lifestyle changes in terms of life expectancy for stable people with heart disease.

Comment

A friend's father splits his time between consultancy and research, focusing more recently on the latter.

According to him, surgery is used too hastily in many situations where more passive options are available. He believes both doctors & patients overlook the level of trauma the body goes through when it is cut open.

Comment

Is this the study?

Comment

Are stents not like permanent angioplasty and providing reinforcement for the bits of the artery that look liable to rupture under pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Do you have a source for this? (beyond life expectancy figures)
                                                                          Just listen to your own words. 'beyond life expectancy' as if thats not the point of a health service

Comment

December?

I can read numbers without sitting on a trolley though. The Irish health service is (surprisingly, because everyone doubts it) very good in terms of health outcomes

Comment

Stents, and there's something else they do to veins with balloons*, are I think known to be quackology? As in they are far riskier than the benefits they give.

Edit: from reading strews post above I think I'm talking about angioplasty
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-02-21, 13:53.

Comment

If you actually talk to doctors who work in the HSE they will tell you we're a joke.
                                                                                And here's a link to French doctors saying the same about the French system despite it being generally ranked one of the best in the world, and I could have found the same from any country. Individual doctors are not trained, or able to see, cross-comparative benefits. They don't have a wide enough perspective, they only see the individual problems that occur to them on a daily basis, and not the overall efficiency of the health system that is capable of producing great health outcomes. Doctors also massively overestimate their own importance in terms of running a health system. Admin is at least as important, probably far more important, in terms of decent healthcare outcomes.

Comment

Here's a good summary table of how Ireland does in terms of health. These are age-adjusted numbers, so take account of us having a lower age and therefore a lower natural incidence of diseases. Whatever quibbles or anecdotes you might have, our outcomes are clearly very decent.

rtks8ys.png
                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

September he says, so that's probably November at a minimum.

AJ, I know you explained previously why minister for finance was more important and that's the reason health was switched but I disagree. This Donnelly lad is so incompetent its laughable and Harris was doing a decent job and came across well to general plebs like myself. Also, I think the health ministry is more important than finance during a pandemic.

Comment

Don't know why the chart is 2015 figures, but I got it from this recent EU report which compares all the health systems.

Comment

And here's a link to French doctors saying the same about the French system despite it being generally ranked one of the best in the world, and I could have found the same from any country. Individual doctors are not trained, or able to see, cross-comparative benefits. They don't have a wide enough perspective, they only see the individual problems that occur to them on a daily basis, and not the overall efficiency of the health system that is capable of producing great health outcomes. Doctors also massively overestimate their own importance in terms of running a health system. Admin is at least as important, probably far more important, in terms of decent healthcare outcomes.
                                                                                        If they arent, how are you? Im not even disagreeing with you i just thought that was a funny statement! They surely have whatever tools you have to be able to see, plus the added benefit of actually working in it?
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Don't know why the chart is 2015 figures, but I got it from this recent EU report which compares all the health systems.
                                                                                          Looking at the life expectancy figures (they have the nations in order for the women but not the men), Ireland is not above the EU28 for women's life expectancy and behind Greece, Belgium, Sweden, Austria, Malta, Slovenia, Portugal, Finland, Cypress, Luxembourg, Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, and Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                            September he says, so that's probably November at a minimum.

AJ, I know you explained previously why minister for finance was more important and that's the reason health was switched but I disagree. This Donnelly lad is so incompetent its laughable and Harris was doing a decent job and came across well to general plebs like myself. Also, I think the health ministry is more important than finance during a pandemic.
                                                                                            Yeah, Donnelly doesn't seem to be great (chadley needs to give out to his neighbours in that constituency.)
                                                                                            I think I meant that finance was more important to keep the same person so that anyone looking into the country sees a safe pair of hands and longterm consistency, and health has always had more of a turnover I believe.
                                                                                            I suspect that Harris was delighted to give up the role anyway, whereas Donohoe probably wanted to stay. So it keeps them both happy.

Quite why FF chose Donnelly for the role is arguably more of a question - unusual I'd have thought for a newcomer to the party to skip over party stalwarts into a Big 4 job on his first gig in cabinet.

Comment

Have come across that in a few books saying that (range, risk come to mind). Wasn't laser eye surgery originally just for $$$? outcome for prostate surgery is usually worse than doing nothing.

Asking the doctor what they'd do is usually a better question than asking them what you should do.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Quite why FF chose Donnelly for the role is arguably more of a question - unusual I'd have thought for a newcomer to the party to skip over party stalwarts into a Big 4 job on his first gig in cabinet.
                                                                                                Wondered that, a bit of give the judas/newcomer the poison chalice and protect the stalwarts?

Harris learned to communicate well, which was arguably all we needed at the time, and something Donnelly is brutal at, I think the jury is still out on whether Harris was a good health minister though.
                                                                                                Last edited by eamonhonda; 11-02-21, 15:07.
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Here's a good summary table of how Ireland does in terms of health. These are age-adjusted numbers, so take account of us having a lower age and therefore a lower natural incidence of diseases. Whatever quibbles or anecdotes you might have, our outcomes are clearly very decent.

rtks8ys.png
                                                                                                  Your metrics are about as useful as your unreadable chart.

Mortality rates aren't directly proportionate to health service quality. Contributing factors like education, income, lifestyle (smoking, drinking, exercise), diet and air pollution also play a major role.

A useful, and topical, metric might be intensive care bed capacity. Probably sums up better where our service is at.

Life expectancy? What about quality of life for the long term sick? Angola.

Comment

Sorry Ole, you're right - to clarify he did say that for urgent heart attack cases stents are A1. Something like 70% of them are given for angina (in the UK) and do fuck all

Comment

Sorry Ole, you're right - to clarify he did say that for urgent heart attack cases stents are A1. Something like 70% of them are given for angina (in the UK) and do fuck all
                                                                                                      Would break your heart so it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Have come across that in a few books saying that (range, risk come to mind). Wasn't laser eye surgery originally just for $$$? outcome for prostate surgery is usually worse than doing nothing.

Asking the doctor what they'd do is usually a better question than asking them what you should do.
                                                                                                        I don't really know about the laser eye surgery thing but I do have an amusing anecdote that touches it. When I was in the electrical engineering faculty in UCC there was a lecturer there who I think is retired since. He was an excellent teacher but more importantly was considered like the John Giles of lasers.

The story (which I'm 100% sure must be false, but anyway) goes that in the early days of laser eye surgery a place opened up doing it in Cork. For their grand opening or whatever they ask this guy along to the drinks reception to give a few words to the investors and whoever. So he heads in anyway and partakes in the champagne and finger food before going up to give his talk where he spends ten minutes going on about how well they've done sourcing such a class laser, before finishing up with 'at the same time, you'd have to be mad to let it anywhere near your eyes' and heading off home

Comment

Remember the study finding in America that found that if you went to hospital during a heart attack at a time when top cardiologists were away at a national conference your chances of living increased?

Comment

Do you put your socks on standing up or sitting down?
                                                                                                            I've always done it standing up and instinctively go to do it that way, but being 50+ I'm finding it a bit of a challenge these days.

Comment

Yeah the first tweet he just asserted it with no hint of where it came from. Could do with a bit of good news in the next little while. The rate of decline in cases is down to nothing, we're looking at up to 12 weeks to get below 100 per day on some pessimistic (maybe) reading of current trends, and the vaccine roll-out feels glacial. I see Sputnik arguing with the EMA on twitter over whether or not they had submitted data for approval and someone on boards saying it looks like they used the wrong web form. Yikes.

Some one of the companies to come out and say they've somehow managed to exceed expectations on production by a hundred million doses would be nice.
                                                                                                              In fairness, things are looking a bit better today. They tweeted out earlier that the plan for next week is to do almost 80k vaccinations, which considering the total up to now is only 240k doses given out is an acceleration of encouraging proportions.

Also todays positive swab count is down 33% on this day last week. The hope is that the slowdown in reduction for the last 10 days was due to the resumption of close contact testing, although that effect subsiding was apparently overdue. 864 positive swabs and a drop of positivity % from 6 to 5 today is a boost.

Comment

Anyone got a recommendation or two for an free/open source automated data transformation tool?

Ease of use would be good if possible

Cheers!

Comment

Do you put your socks on standing up or sitting down?
                                                                                                                  I've always done it standing up and instinctively go to do it that way, but being 50+ I'm finding it a bit of a challenge these days.
                                                                                                                  Both have their challenges. I do it standing up mostly as ironically I’m too lazy to bother sitting down and getting back up again. I find the older you get the more hopping with the standing up process. Often I’ve just got it on over the toe and then find myself losing lateral stability and heading towards the wardrobe, the jackknife move to the bed usually saves me, but you are right the standing up one is becoming a challenge. I’m thinking of giving commando a try.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

If they arent, how are you? Im not even disagreeing with you i just thought that was a funny statement! They surely have whatever tools you have to be able to see, plus the added benefit of actually working in it?
                                                                                                                    Surely you'd allow that a quantitative researcher would have a reasonable grasp on assessing numerical trends.

Comment

Looking at the life expectancy figures (they have the nations in order for the women but not the men), Ireland is not above the EU28 for women's life expectancy and behind Greece, Belgium, Sweden, Austria, Malta, Slovenia, Portugal, Finland, Cypress, Luxembourg, Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, and Iceland.
                                                                                                                      I'm not sure if you are on drugs, and if so fair play as we'd all love some drugs right now, but that seems an awfully long-winded way of saying that Ireland is mid-table = you list 13 of the 28 EU countries we are behind, leaving 14 we are ahead of. But wow thats some way of saying that. Almost impressive.

Edit: and I didn't give life expectancy figures earlier as decided they aren't great really for comparison purposes as depend a lot on average age in a country. While the figures I gave are age-adjusted health outcomes so felt more directly relevant.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-02-21, 17:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                        Anyone got a recommendation or two for an free/open source automated data transformation tool?

Ease of use would be good if possible

Cheers!
                                                                                                                        Guess its OpenRefine that might suit your needs? https://openrefine.org/

Comment

A useful, and topical, metric might be intensive care bed capacity. Probably sums up better where our service is at.
                                                                                                                          No, this is the classic mistake, and the reason why unions always put forward useless measures like that, this is a resource not an outcome, and unions want more resources with better outcomes almost incidental to union campaigns. You need to measure outcomes only. And we have more than enough intensive care beds in the country, even with a fecking pandemic there's enough intensive care beds. A good health system is about stopping people getting to intensive care beds.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X