Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have something that's tormenting my mind about a colleague, who's also a close friend. Something he said during the week.

It's gotten to the point where I just have to confront him about it..

Thing is I'm useless in those situations over the phone. Things can get heated or flustered and I can struggle to get exactly what's on my mind accross.

I'm very good at it over email though.

I'm thinking of putting a mail together laying it all out. He will call me after it I'd guess, which is fine, I'll have gotten my point accross with clarity and we can then duel it out.

Good move or no?
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Lazare

Writing your points out in preperation for a phone call or face to face I think is a good idea. Lets you focus on the main issue and gather your thoughts and arguments.
      I would think.carefully about sending it though given the permanent nature of an email.
      Like lets say you make your points in an email. He rings you back and it degenerates into a heated argument. He has an email from you saying xyz which is now unretractable.
      Im just thinking worse case scenario here in case your employer becomes involved at some point.

Perhaps a text or email asking to meet up and address the issue at a later date so you both have time to think.about it a bit so it wont be a knee jerk phone call type thing.

Comment

Cheers dinekes, I was just chatting with my wife about it and she made similar points.

I think you're right.

I will write it down and make the call I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

If ep 3 doesn't tear you apart you're made of granite.

Powerful writing and acting.
          I will give it a couple more episodes. What's with all the boys kissing each other . Tis not right I tell you..

Ithe 1st episode 'Inists' upon itself. ( I've finally found a use for that FG reference)

Comment

Cheers dinekes, I was just chatting with my wife about it and she made similar points.

I think you're right.

I will write it down and make the call I think.
            Let's not underestimate the power of keeping things light. Mountains and mole hills etc . Just a general point . You dont come across as the easily incited though.

Comment

I have something that's tormenting my mind about a colleague, who's also a close friend. Something he said during the week.

It's gotten to the point where I just have to confront him about it..

Thing is I'm useless in those situations over the phone. Things can get heated or flustered and I can struggle to get exactly what's on my mind accross.

I'm very good at it over email though.

I'm thinking of putting a mail together laying it all out. He will call me after it I'd guess, which is fine, I'll have gotten my point accross with clarity and we can then duel it out.

Good move or no?

Is it critical for what you want to do that he accepts your point?

Or is it just critical for your sense of what is right and wrong that he accepts your point?

If its just the latter then do an elsa on it. The world is full of people with stupid thoughts, as long as its not having a real impact on you, then just let it slide. imo.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Haha, you know I'm only kidding too. One of these days I'll need to grow up and get involved in the discussion.
                  I just didn't realise I was opening the gates for Tars post

Comment

Gonna have a rou jia mo burger from Oh My and pour out a bubble tea libation for Raoul.

Comment

We all know the real reason why he's disappeared

SPOILER
                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Dinner in Shanahans!

If he makes it through the full term, I pay.

PP think you're looking good. 1/2 jolly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Is it critical for what you want to do that he accepts your point?

Or is it just critical for your sense of what is right and wrong that he accepts your point?

If its just the latter then do an elsa on it. The world is full of people with stupid thoughts, as long as its not having a real impact on you, then just let it slide. imo.
                        It's potentially life long friendship ending stuff that I need reassurance I'm wrong about.

Comment

One last spam bump for the stragglers.

Just TWO HOURS to get entries in for the 2021 Multi Sport Competition. Cut off point 2.15pm.
                          Pick the winners of the year's biggest sporting events (stuff like the Cheltenham Gold Cup or Aussie Rules) - win points, win money.

List of events in post #1.

Tables are a bit of mess on 'new' IPB unfortunately, so going to do as much of the competition as possible via google spreadsheets. So the attached document is the initial list of events for this years competition. (Some more events will be added in July as this format seemed to work well last year). https://docs.google.com/sp

Comment

It's potentially life long friendship ending stuff that I need reassurance I'm wrong about.
                            Made the call, it was good. I was wrong.

Such a weight lifted.

So glad I didn't send that email now. Thank you for the advice guys.

Comment

Any fancies in Leop?

Comment

Lazare

Nearly always better to tackle these things at the time and spare all the anxiety!
                                Mind you having said that Im like Homer in these situations

Comment

How are they tracking people when it comes to administering the vaccine to gen pop? What register are they using to contact people?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                    ... IPB's 1st and best Superbowl competition is now open for entry... It is the greatest show on earth gambled on the greatest thread on the web...

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...on#post1686383
                                    ...Gonna bump and push this for the next couple of days... It's a fun and simple competition... Pay €20, have 2 boxes, so lots of chances to win some money... Completely randomized, so even Hitch or Andynotfatbastard could win it... Just to give a simplifed explanation...You will be assigned a numbered box, such as 3-5... The score at end of each quarter is..
                                    9-6
                                    17-6
                                    23-15
                                    41-25

...You would win the 3rd quarter prize!... Can be a good sweat when up at 01:00am watching it,,, Currently 5 entrants, but i'm sure it'll gain traction!...

Comment

Made the call, it was good. I was wrong.

Such a weight lifted.

So glad I didn't send that email now. Thank you for the advice guys.
                                      I really want to know what is was

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        How are they tracking people when it comes to administering the vaccine to gen pop? What register are they using to contact people?
                                        GP registers.if you're not registered anywhere you won't be called (that's how it is in the UK anyway, and can't see why you'd be any different)

Comment

This month I will be 15 years hanging out with you guys.

Kinda mad isn't it.

Feb 06. Who's here from earlier? Dom, LL, Kev, DP, HJ I think, who else?

Comment

Salma Hayek has said she was told her career would “die” when she was in her thirties and she would never make it in Hollywood as a Mexican actress.

The star of films such as Frida, Desperado and from Dusk Til Dawn, 54, said she wants other women to realise they are not “over” when they reach a certain age.

Hayek, who is starring in the new Amazon film Bliss with Owen Wilson ...
                                            Well thats a mean segue by the journalist.

Comment

France looking the part!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                France looking the part!
                                                Dupont is unreal, has a complete arsenal of attacking skills. Italy didn't offer much resistance tbf but that French team is clinical. Italy's 9 and back 3 had some good attacking moments too. Hard to see anything other than France v England deciding the championship.

Let's see if "We can beat everyone" Scotland can back it up now in a few minutes. As much as I dislike Eddie Jones smugness he's a decent coach and even better wind up merchant.

Comment

Kilcruit looks a serious prospect
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I really want to know what is was
                                                    Yeah, I suppose its a bit like one of those 'u ok hun' Facebook stories.

Ah it's a bit long winded, I said colleague earlier but it's actually my boss. We're friends since nippers so it's not your standard employee employer relationship. I knew if I said boss in the op people would immediately say don't email.

A bit of an incident happened in work on Wed where I got the impression my boss thought a customer was stealing stock.

I got a phone call at home about it and although the misunderstanding was cleared up, I was left with the awful feeling that he had thought I was involved.

We're like brothers so for me, if it was the case, if he thought I was capable of that there wouldn't really be any way back from it.

Call could have went either way tbh. Very happy it went the way it did. Was mentally preparing for unemployment at one stage.

Comment

Lazare name change to ' The Fence '

Comment

He has a thievish look about him in fairness.

Comment

GP registers.if you're not registered anywhere you won't be called (that's how it is in the UK anyway, and can't see why you'd be any different)
                                                          Ah ok. I actually don't think I am. Maybe my family GP from when I was a kid.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose its a bit like one of those 'u ok hun' Facebook stories.

Ah it's a bit long winded, I said colleague earlier but it's actually my boss. We're friends since nippers so it's not your standard employee employer relationship. I knew if I said boss in the op people would immediately say don't email.

A bit of an incident happened in work on Wed where I got the impression my boss thought a customer was stealing stock.

I got a phone call at home about it and although the misunderstanding was cleared up, I was left with the awful feeling that he had thought I was involved.

We're like brothers so for me, if it was the case, if he thought I was capable of that there wouldn't really be any way back from it.

Call could have went either way tbh. Very happy it went the way it did. Was mentally preparing for unemployment at one stage.
                                                            I would take a slightly different interpretation on this and suggest ...

Given how ye two go back to the year dot and he's your pal, you might be under more stress than you think you are, if you are letting odd thoughts like that creep into your head. Just throwing it out there as a half-assed public diagnosis - that it was a strange conclusion for you to draw no matter the circumstantial evidence. This lockdown is doing strange things to a lot of people.

Comment

Yeah probably Hitch.

Comment

What the Actual Fuck Scotland???

Words fail me
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Fair play to Scotland. Lucky that the moment of madness going for drop goal didn't cost them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    This lockdown is doing strange things to a lot of people.
                                                                    It's very difficult to judge how it's affecting oneself isn't it? I've certainly noticed that on the rare occasions that I meet up with people (outdoors) I'm blabbering on like an excited teenager, or at least much more than I would normally do.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It's very difficult to judge how it's affecting oneself isn't it? I've certainly noticed that on the rare occasions that I meet up with people (outdoors) I'm blabbering on like an excited teenager, or at least much more than I would normally do.

spot on I think, I've had a few occasions to doubt myself based on public utterances also. Its just way more isolation than we should be having.

Comment

Just discovered my 6 year old subscribed to some drawing app back in Oct. €6.50 per week.

€100 gone on it at this stage.

I've cancelled it obv, and I've realised now that I was getting weekly email receipts from Google in an inbox that I don't pay much attention to.

Guessing that money is gone yeah?

​​

Comment

ha, thats a great clip

Comment

Just discovered my 6 year old subscribed to some drawing app back in Oct. €6.50 per week.

€100 gone on it at this stage.

I've cancelled it obv, and I've realised now that I was getting weekly email receipts from Google in an inbox that I don't pay much attention to.

Guessing that money is gone yeah?

​​
                                                                            ...You could do the smart thing and enter the IPB superbowl competition... €20 entry, and you will have multiple chances to with over double your loss!!...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTERXhW5vNO1zGZvpMl7hlGPKKgFCgx5UaqklRwc5VsRZmnw4y03wed5_DncEYsao-dY5WU_Rq2t_t5/pubhtml ...It's SUPERBOWL time!... Going to run a sweepstakes of sorts... Attached spreadsheet is numbered 0-9 up and down.. (100 boxes total) How it works. 1. Pay the man the money. Well it will

...I thought a random gamble on these events was what the IPB was made for!!...

Comment

I'll ask the 6 year old does she want to spunk any more of my money away.

Comment

Courageous rather than silly of Scotland to go for the drop goal and attempt to deny England the losing bonus point.

Comment

Just discovered my 6 year old subscribed to some drawing app back in Oct. €6.50 per week​​
                                                                                  Jeez the apple didn't fall far from the tree there did it? Looking forward to the next update on what your wife has been stealing recently too.

Comment

Comment

Lazarceny
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

He put the Con in Connor .

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                          Courageous rather than silly of Scotland to go for the drop goal and attempt to deny England the losing bonus point.
                                                                                          They had played the clock perfectly for the previous four and a half minutes then with 30 seconds until you can kick it into the stands they are on a 0.01% chance of not winning the game instead they decide to turn that into a 10% chance of losing the game for absolutely no benefit
                                                                                          Nothing brave about it IMO just pure stupid glory hunting instead of a bit of common sense end of game management, a thing which is shockingly common in professional teams.
                                                                                          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 06-02-21, 20:01.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            Kilcruit looks a serious prospect
                                                                                            I'm struggling to find examples that back up my thinking but I just tend to have a rule of thumb that performances that are os visually impressive are hard to live up to.

Having said that when did we last see such a visually impressive a performance... probably not since Our Conor's Triumph Hurdle and subsequent events there wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

They had played the clock perfectly for the previous four and a half minutes then with 30 seconds until you can kick it into the stands they are on a 0.01% chance of not winning the game instead they decide to turn that into a 10% chance of losing the game for absolutely no benefit
                                                                                              Nothing brave about it IMO just pure stupid glory hunting instead of a bit of common sense end of game management, a thing which is shockingly common in professional teams.
                                                                                              Also when they got the ball back with 30s left and the 9 kicks it to England. At that stage, I actually thought they deserved to lose for their own stupidity. Let's not forget what led to that whole segment. A missed touchline by Hogg off a penalty kick, which was dropped by May, and they also missed 3 penalties. Dominant but incredibly lucky to get away with it all.

Comment

Weird seeing Bert with his sisters.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I texted my mate earlier saying 'have you a few mins to talk if I rang you? Need to chat to you about something that's tormenting me'

He rang me straight away and said 'Are you Gay?'

Knew then everything was cool.

Comment

I texted my mate earlier saying 'have you a few mins to talk if I rang you? Need to chat to you about something that's tormenting me'

He rang me straight away and said 'Are you Gay?'

Knew then everything was cool.
                                                                                                    Sounds like he is up for it. Nice to know you still have it.

Comment

That's a half arsed looking pallet of Astra Zeneca arriving in Dublin today

Comment

SPIETH.

Rooting so fucking hard for him.
                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Fair play to Laz. Took some right digs today and laughed them off. Very safe to assume most of sledging on here is in good natured, malice free, jest. Assume you must, because sometimes the intended tone of the needing, is difficult to covey in pithy plain text.
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            SPIETH.

Rooting so fucking hard for him.
                                                                                                            Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                              Fair play to Laz. Took some right digs today and laughed them off. Very safe to assume most of sledging on here is in good natured, malice free, jest. Assume you must, because sometimes the intended tone of the needing, is difficult to covey in pithy plain text.
                                                                                                              Cheers man, nothing more friendly than a slagging.

Comment

Also when they got the ball back with 30s left and the 9 kicks it to England. At that stage, I actually thought they deserved to lose for their own stupidity. Let's not forget what led to that whole segment. A missed touchline by Hogg off a penalty kick, which was dropped by May, and they also missed 3 penalties. Dominant but incredibly lucky to get away with it all.
                                                                                                                In the interests of accuracy it was a free kick from a scrum that Hogg had so he was right not to find touch. May dropping it was a serious bonus. He actually briefly debated going for a scrum again but wisely chose to kick long than risk a scrum in that area of the pitch.

The scrum half play and the DG call was terrible. The only excuse for Finn Russell is if the clock in the stadium was wrong. Otherwise it was the biggest ego bullshit call I’ve seen in a long time. I actually thought Russell was a 6/10 at best. Missed a few gettable kicks, two shit drop goal attempts, stupid and dangerous leg trip. His attack is sublime at times and he never lets a mistake put him off but he can be a serious liability.

Scotland were very good but the misfiring attacking lineout for England, the absolutely shit discipline (and a no nonsense refereeing performance by Andy Brace), and the undercooked nature of a number of their key players were massive. They will get better which doesn’t help Ireland.

However, it really sets up a very exciting 6Ns. Just hope Ireland can be in the mix and play there way into the tournament tmrw. Ireland are undercooked too and selecting two props and a hooker with fuck all recent playing minutes in the bank on the bench is a huge risk tmrw that i think is hard to justify. Also not convinced about our backrow as it’s very 1 dimensional now. Josh van der Flier needs a huge game or his international career could disappear. Losing Doris was huge.

We can’t afford any of the following going down with injuries early tmrw or I think we’d be in serious shit.

Healy
                                                                                                                Herring
                                                                                                                Porter
                                                                                                                Sexton
                                                                                                                Keenan

That feels like a lot of unnecessary risk with not much immediate reward. Why select Kilcoyne, Kelleher, furlong when in their current state their isnt much difference between them and the guys who have been playing regularly. They will get better as they get game time but they just can’t be there right now.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                  I’ve just been catching up and got a good laugh from the slagging, but in the current environment where we’ve all had our headspace fucked up at times, it can be difficult to laugh things off and things can blow up in unexpected ways.

I’m sorta hoping that’s what happened to RDIII and he can just let it go and move past it.
                                                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I’ve just been catching up and got a good laugh from the slagging, but in the current environment where we’ve all had our headspace fucked up at times, it can be difficult to laugh things off and things can blow up in unexpected ways.

I’m sorta hoping that’s what happened to RDIII and he can just let it go and move past it.
                                                                                                                    Yeah, I really do hope so. You'd miss the dude around here.

Comment

Have some plants growing on the balcony/terrace. Chilli plant is going well, so tried some other edibles. The veg wilted pretty quick, standard enough for me. Small pits prob not great for that stuff.
                                                                                                                      But today in their place was lots of fiat brown mushrooms. Broke one up, smelt pretty tasty.
                                                                                                                      Downloaded a mushroom identification app. Apparently they are called “plums and custard”. And dispute the delicious name, I gives you the shits.

Mushrooms are mad altogether. Pop up out of nowhere. Some are food, some are poison, some are drugs.
                                                                                                                      Makes you wonder how they ever became a food staple.

Comment

... Bump for Superbowl Sunday!!!.. €20 Sweepstakes, gives you multiple chances of winning prizes... Simply just enter, be given 2 numbers, and funk for the score to end on those in each quarter!...

...Plan of getting 50 entries is not looking good, can run it with 20/25 also!...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTERXhW5vNO1zGZvpMl7hlGPKKgFCgx5UaqklRwc5VsRZmnw4y03wed5_DncEYsao-dY5WU_Rq2t_t5/pubhtml ...It's SUPERBOWL time!... Going to run a sweepstakes of sorts... Attached spreadsheet is numbered 0-9 up and down.. (100 boxes total) How it works. 1. Pay the man the money. Well it will

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

In the interests of accuracy it was a free kick from a scrum that Hogg had so he was right not to find touch. May dropping it was a serious bonus. He actually briefly debated going for a scrum again but wisely chose to kick long than risk a scrum in that area of the pitch.

The scrum half play and the DG call was terrible. The only excuse for Finn Russell is if the clock in the stadium was wrong. Otherwise it was the biggest ego bullshit call I’ve seen in a long time. I actually thought Russell was a 6/10 at best. Missed a few gettable kicks, two shit drop goal attempts, stupid and dangerous leg trip. His attack is sublime at times and he never lets a mistake put him off but he can be a serious liability.

Scotland were very good but the misfiring attacking lineout for England, the absolutely shit discipline (and a no nonsense refereeing performance by Andy Brace), and the undercooked nature of a number of their key players were massive. They will get better which doesn’t help Ireland.

However, it really sets up a very exciting 6Ns. Just hope Ireland can be in the mix and play there way into the tournament tmrw. Ireland are undercooked too and selecting two props and a hooker with fuck all recent playing minutes in the bank on the bench is a huge risk tmrw that i think is hard to justify. Also not convinced about our backrow as it’s very 1 dimensional now. Josh van der Flier needs a huge game or his international career could disappear. Losing Doris was huge.

We can’t afford any of the following going down with injuries early tmrw or I think we’d be in serious shit.

Healy
                                                                                                                          Herring
                                                                                                                          Porter
                                                                                                                          Sexton
                                                                                                                          Keenan

That feels like a lot of unnecessary risk with not much immediate reward. Why select Kilcoyne, Kelleher, furlong when in their current state their isnt much difference between them and the guys who have been playing regularly. They will get better as they get game time but they just can’t be there right now.

I must say despite not having much interest in rugby I always find your analysis of it very edifying.

It's interesting how you can enjoy reading about anything provided the person writing about it has the bit of passion.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X