Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I was passed by an ambulance on the way home, a couple of minutes later was going to pull into petrol station to pick up milk but the ambulance had pulled in there I assumed someone was busy having a heart attack so I left them to it and went on on a bit of a downer thinking about whatever poor cunce were in trouble. Turn on the news tonight and see that they were delivering a baby that came in a hurry and was born in a car on the forecourt!
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Are any of you people Huel people?

Or have thoughts on the whole thing (a European version of Solent for anyone too busy to click)
      "Soylent Green is people"

Comment

Am I understanding this correctly.
        If I register CGT losses any year, they can be brought forward until you realise a gain in any year?

Also if you lost €100 on a trade. You then gain €1370 on shares from a different company. Your tax free allowance of year of disposal is then €1,270 + €100?
        Does this mean you actually lose 66% of losses then? You end up paying €66 of that loss? Any year you choose?

Also if reacquiring the shares with the gains shares, you can do so immediately or you have to wait a month here? I can't remember.
        My understanding is I can't rebuy the shares that had a loss in 4 weeks, but for the gains shares I can?
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-02-21, 01:16.

Comment

The Tomohawk lads.

Holy be jaysus.

Reverse seared, oven and Weber.

Managed to luck out really well with the timings, and the weather. The most enjoyable cooking experience I've had, and the best steak I've ever home cooked.

Thanks Coillcam and Ole for the advice

Was like drooling Homer for a good 2 hours
          Attached Files
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

God damn
            Attached Files

Comment

Could've sliced better, but beautiful med rare
              Attached Files

Comment

Tar, just copped you posted right before me.

Apologies for the heinous F5

Comment

Christ, that's a nice steak! Whatcha have with it...I'd go with crispy fries myself ....drool

Hungry now and it and it's nearly 2am...(runs to make sandwich)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

so, as many of you are aware, I'm in the midst of purchasing a house.
                    Mortgage drawn down, everything done and I was due to collect keys @ 3pm today or thereabouts.
                    Our solictors doing final searches before signing off.
                    It turns out the sellers owned the house we are
                    purchasing(lets say number 2 ) and the one next door (number 4).
                    They sold next door last year.
                    All of the legal documents and land registry filing for the new owners of
                    number 2 have them owning number 4.
                    Meaning we cannot buy the house legally as the sellers don't own the land it sits on

It also means number 2 owners don't own the land of the house they are living in
                    and their house insurance etc is all fucked.
                    and their mortgage
                    and all our stuff too.

My mortgage starts one 1st March, notice handed into current landlord, viewing of apartment for
                    new lettors over the next few days all booked, everything we own in boxes or storage
                    and house insurance/mortage protection all active.

Potentially this could be a timebomb for all parties (us, sellers, other owners, our solocitors, their(sellers and owners) solicitors etc).
                    Our solicitor needs to determine if filing error or "human error", the latter is not what we want.

Makes my crypto gains a little less uplifting
                    A similar discovery was made by a friend of my Mams when he went to sell his house last summer. Turns out he’d been incorrectly registered as the seller when he bought his house originally and not the buyer.

So he’s not the legal owner and has no insurable interest. He can’t rent it out or do anything with it bar live in it. He has cancer and wants to sell it to help his kids out and to move into a retirement community. The original seller is still the owner. The seller is dead, the solicitor is retired and the guy is facing 5 years to try and resolve matters via the land registry.

I know this thing is a financial and organisational pain for you DP right now, but it would be much worse to have discovered it in 10 or 20 years time.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

if we're counting boards, which we must be, I'm a little over 17 years dec 2003
                      Dec 2004 myself. Another lifetime. Hilarious and cringeworthy posts at times. Plenty of fun too.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

A similar discovery was made by a friend of my Mams when he went to sell his house last summer. Turns out he’d been incorrectly registered as the seller when he bought his house originally and not the buyer.

So he’s not the legal owner and has no insurable interest. He can’t rent it out or do anything with it bar live in it. He has cancer and wants to sell it to help his kids out and to move into a retirement community. The original seller is still the owner. The seller is dead, the solicitor is retired and the guy is facing 5 years to try and resolve matters via the land registry.

I know this thing is a financial and organisational pain for you DP right now, but it would be much worse to have discovered it in 10 or 20 years time.
                        Imagine it had of been discovered when the original seller died.
                        Some random next of kin turns up. And asks how long have you been renting his uncles investment property that he just inherited?

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                            Christ, that's a nice steak! Whatcha have with it...I'd go with crispy fries myself ....drool

Hungry now and it and it's nearly 2am...(runs to make sandwich)
                            I had wedges that I make myself, mushrooms and onions.

Hardly ate any of the sides tbh, was afraid to fill up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Imagine it had of been discovered when the original seller died.
                              Some random next of kin turns up. And asks how long have you been renting his uncles investment property that he just inherited?
                              That could still happen. He needs to get the land registry to reassign the property to him and that will involve the seller's estate having an opportunity to object I'd imagine. They reckon 5 years to resolve it if everyone is reasonable - could be longer if it get's messy. The guy may well die in the meantime himself as he's fighting cancer too.

DP may well have to eat costs around a survey, legals, interest and rent overlap but at least he's not left in that situ. Just mad that this only arises from the very last minute final legal checks. How is it not spotted sooner??

Comment

DP may well have to eat costs around a survey, legals, interest and rent overlap but at least he's not left in that situ. Just mad that this only arises from the very last minute final legal checks. How is it not spotted sooner??
                                Cost wise, I'm not too bothered, the mrs and I discussed requesting a discount from seller or approaching previous seller solicitor for out of pocket expenses.
                                That seems like a lot of effort for a minimal return.
                                It will depend if our landlord is willing to let us stay an extra month. If i've to hotel it or airbnb it (staying with family isn't really an option with FIL needs), my attitude may change.
                                I can only imagine if we request 10% or something from sale price all legal agreements have to be redrafted etc.
                                We'd had a handshake agreement with estate agent about some bedroom furniture and stuff that we were going to pay via draft. That at least I'd hope is going to be free
                                It was also suggested that we move into new house on reciept of notice to resolve from all legal parties. Not sure how viable that is as it requires a level of "soundness" that I imagine isn't common in these situations.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This is gold if you have the time..

Comment

Felling jealous of my Amazon packages journey

amazonp.JPG

Comment

Anyone know of any good video editing software that will allow you to stitch together videos, photos, maybe put text over it, and add music? Doesn't have to be free although something free, easy to use and functional would be nice. I suspect it'd need to be a paid thing though.

Comment

Anyone got a Chuwi laptop? Heard good/bad things? Not going to be doing anything particularly taxing with it

Comment

Cost wise, I'm not too bothered, the mrs and I discussed requesting a discount from seller or approaching previous seller solicitor for out of pocket expenses.
                                          It will depend if our landlord is willing to let us stay an extra month. If i've to hotel it or airbnb it (staying with family isn't really an option with FIL needs), my attitude may change.
                                          I can only imagine if we request 10% or something from sale price all legal agreements have to be redrafted etc.
                                          We'd had a handshake agreement with estate agent about some bedroom furniture and stuff that we were going to pay via draft. That at least I'd hope is going to be free
                                          It was also suggested that we move into new house on reciept of notice to resolve from all legal parties. Not sure how viable that is as it requires a level of "soundness" that I imagine isn't common in these situations.
                                          **/Minor Update/**

Holding pattern with deadline of Tuesday lunchtime will see if solicitor advises us executing 28-day notice to sellers with penalties or advises us to return cheque to bank and claw back any expenses from other parties.
                                          Option of caretaker role (rent free in new house until sorted) was mooted as potential resolution but legal implications regardign renovations and set dealines will need to be
                                          given by all parties.
                                          The people *really* fucked are the current occupiers of the house next door. Their mortgage, house insurance, MP, etc are all linked to the house we purchased so that will need to adjusted before we can proceed.
                                          Their bank could make things really difficult.

C'est la vie
                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-02-21, 14:50.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                            Anyone know of any good video editing software that will allow you to stitch together videos, photos, maybe put text over it, and add music? Doesn't have to be free although something free, easy to use and functional would be nice. I suspect it'd need to be a paid thing though.
                                            Haven't used it in a few years, but shotcut was the best I could find back then https://www.shotcut.org/features/

Comment

Its mad to see the picture of him on the MLPrograms website, and compare that to what he looked like all those years ago. Its like an Eddie Murphy movie thing where he makes himself all puffed up. Its probably the way we all good, just mad to see it all the same.
                                              Just something that always stuck out to me was him saying on twitter that he understand stats better than 99% of people. Just seemed like an oxymoron.

Comment

my son just had a project for school and used the video editor that comes in windows 10. added videos text and music. was basic but worked fine

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Just something that always stuck out to me was him saying on twitter that he understand stats better than 99% of people. Just seemed like an oxymoron.
                                                  He is joking there 100% of the time . No?

Comment

Messy shite . I would have thought that most people wouldn't take advantage of an obvious paperwork error and claim property but I guess you got to protect yourself. Good luck.

Comment

I look forward to the tictoks. A Dom sea Shamty ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                        Anyone got a Chuwi laptop? Heard good/bad things? Not going to be doing anything particularly taxing with it
                                                        Got one of their tablets. Build quality very good for the price. Support not great. No updates after the first few months.
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Think V might be the only person I've ever talked to in the pensions business that actually knows what he's talking about.

It's like pulling teeth trying to get the info about the fee structure in our company pension. The guy has gone to his consultant and still hasn't come back with the actual answer.
                                                          ​​​​​
                                                          my girlfriends company did a group zoom meeting and the topic of fees never even came up. Must be nice

​​​​​​
                                                          sorry Lazare.
                                                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-02-21, 16:52.

Comment

I see the High Court have put the legal stamp of approval on my opinion that insurance companies can always be relied on to be scumbags.

Comment

Think V might be the only person I've ever talked to in the pensions business that actually knows what he's talking about.

It's like pulling teeth trying to get the info about the fee structure in our company pension. The guy has gone to his consultant and still hasn't come back with the actual answer.
                                                              ​​​​​
                                                              my girlfriends company did a group zoom meeting and the topic of fees never even came up. Must be nice

​​​​​​
                                                              sorry Lazare.
                                                              You did well getting me to the end of that.

Comment

pray4lazare

​​​​​

​​​​​​
                                                                sorry Lazare.
                                                                Who is it with? There is no documentation?
                                                                I can't recall anybody every asking about fees in our meetings, they generally don't really ask anything or look at me strangely if I can answer his questions haha.
                                                                Mine is ran by BOI/SSGA and I got an email with the fees, and can check the fees for any fund I choose to invest in:
                                                                This is the default offered, I did have a laugh at risk rating "lifestyle".

• Asset Mix: Equities, property, bonds, cash and the PRIME 3 Fund. The mix varies depending on the investor’s
                                                                term to retirement.
                                                                • Risk Rating: Lifestyle
                                                                91FmoOe.png

Investment Management Charges
                                                                The underlying annual management charge will depend on the fund selected.
                                                                The standard annual management charge is 0.75% and this applies to the actively managed funds – as
                                                                well as the Pension Indexed funds.

Page 2
                                                                The Pension Cash Fund and other funds that are passively managed including the default fund the
                                                                Passive IRIS, as well as the Pension Passive Multi Asset Fund, Indexed All Equity and The Indexed Long
                                                                Bond Fund have a lower charge (0.65%).
                                                                Specialist funds e.g. Protected Assets, Elements and Pension Innovator, have an additional
                                                                management charge of 0.25%, while an additional fee of 0.35% applies to the BNYM Real Return Fund
                                                                I don't know what particularly what is a good or bad fee but mine is 0.65%, active is 0.75% and I was able to go browse what is available to me online on their fund centre and see some for 1%.
                                                                I inquired about moving to 100% equities, he suggested leaving 70% as default and do 30% as 100% equities. I don't see the point in cash for example being in there (until closer to retirement age for the lump sum).

I was looking at my contributions now, it has my employer and my contributions. Then it has SP/Transfer Value and risk contributions, what are those and who is paying for it?
                                                                It's worth going over your contributions as a few times I have found that the wrong amount was invested and had to email to correct it. Clerical errors but I found a grand missing by looking for a few minutes last year.
                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-02-21, 18:25.

Comment

I'm gonna cross reference anybody who partakes in a discussion about pensions on a Friday evening with all those who thanked Richie's post slagging me off for watching Tubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    I'm gonna cross reference anybody who partakes in a discussion about pensions on a Friday evening with all those who thanked Richie's post slagging me off for watching Tubs.
                                                                    469342_1.jpg

Comment

That could still happen. He needs to get the land registry to reassign the property to him and that will involve the seller's estate having an opportunity to object I'd imagine. They reckon 5 years to resolve it if everyone is reasonable - could be longer if it get's messy. The guy may well die in the meantime himself as he's fighting cancer too.

The people *really* fucked are the current occupiers of the house next door. Their mortgage, house insurance, MP, etc are all linked to the house we purchased so that will need to adjusted before we can proceed.
                                                                      Their bank could make things really difficult.
                                                                      Anyone want to have a bet on the size of the penalties, length of suspension from fitness to practice or any level of consequences handed out by the law society to the incompetent pricks that do crap like this all day everyday... but then how do you bet the unders when we all know the line is drawn at absolutely no consequences

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I read a good short book a few weeks ago by an Irish property solicitor that went into decent detail on everything to expect. Would be well worth anyone looking to buy reading it right before starting the process. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...use-in-ireland
                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Cba to find the cooking thread on this site anymore but I made this tonight and it's so simple and just bursting with flavour, if you're not making it, you should have a good reason not to.

Beef Stir Fry loaded with tender beef and vegetables The easy 3-ingredient beef stir fry sauce adds amazing Asian BBQ flavor.

PM Lazare for pics.

Comment

I read a good short book a few weeks ago by an Irish property solicitor that went into decent detail on everything to expect. Would be well worth anyone looking to buy reading it right before starting the process. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...use-in-ireland
                                                                              What are your main takeaways?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

What are your main takeaways?
                                                                                Pizza or chinese usually

Comment

Ronan Keating on tonight. Get the vino out . Starting soon

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ronan Keating on tonight. Get the vino out . Starting soon
                                                                                    Gonna watch a show about AIDS instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Pizza or chinese usually
                                                                                      I don't need a book to tell me that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I don't need a book to tell me that!
                                                                                        I couldn't resist, I'm not proud of it

Comment

Gonna watch a show about AIDS instead.
                                                                                          Rubbering up was a lot more fun than this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

The Russel T Davies show about aids?

Cat Ballou is a class comedy western on TG4

Comment

Just 12 hours to get entries in for the 2021 Multi Sport Competition. Cut off point Saturday 2.15pm.
                                                                                              Pick the winners of the year's biggest sporting events (stuff like the Euros or All Ireland hurling) - win points, win money.

List of events in post #1.

Tables are a bit of mess on 'new' IPB unfortunately, so going to do as much of the competition as possible via google spreadsheets. So the attached document is the initial list of events for this years competition. (Some more events will be added in July as this format seemed to work well last year). https://docs.google.com/sp

Originally posted by luckforsome
                                                                                              ...it's the best competition on IPB...

Comment

Do you not like It's a Sin? I love me an 80s/90s drama with a period soundtrack so I was always going to enjoy it.
                                                                                                What don't you like - I'm guessing that it's set a few years before you would have been 'on the scene' and Ireland was probably far more lowkey than hedonistic London anyway, but reviews from people who were around at the time seem to be very positive about it.

Comment

It's a Sin, or LLS?

It's a Sin is incredible TV imo

Comment

The Welsh kid's story was fucking heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

The Russel T Davies show about aids?

Cat Ballou is a class comedy western on TG4

Missed it tonight but seen it loads. Very funny

Comment

That's better!

Comment

Confused about It's a Sin.

A lot of talk online about ep3 as if it's just been released. Stuff on twitter etc, the actor playing Colin saying 'it's episode 3 night'.

I'm on ep 5.

Comment

Aha

Comment

Lol they can charge what they like but anyone who thinks someone has the insight to the future of a pension fund is off their rocker. To quote the Warden from Shawshank Redemption - "Lord! It's a miracle, Up and vanished like a fart in the wind! (as did my pension fund after a fair few years).

They pull the ladder up after themselves, we will all try do the same ourselves. No more insight than the lad on the end of the bar this time next year telling you to sink the loots into some random crypto.

Comment

I have used this https://filmora.wondershare.com/ found it easy enough to use. Plenty of online tutorials around to help with getting the result you want.

Comment

It's a Sin, or LLS?

It's a Sin is incredible TV imo
                                                                                                                  Nah meant I had a lot more fun during the hiv/aids epidemic, than I'm having with this covid19 one. Haven't watched 'It's a sin' yet.

Comment

Watched Ep 1 of it's a Sin. Meh. Does it get better ?

Comment

I just thought the idea of someone not knowing the price of what they're selling (and never being asked about it) crazy. They must be filling their boots with impactful ties

Comment

I just thought the idea of someone not knowing the price of what they're selling (and never being asked about it) crazy. They must be filling their boots with impactful ties
                                                                                                                        Haha, you know I'm only kidding too. One of these days I'll need to grow up and get involved in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          Watched Ep 1 of it's a Sin. Meh. Does it get better ?
                                                                                                                          If ep 3 doesn't tear you apart you're made of granite.

Powerful writing and acting.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X