This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Yeah was very good on TV- not afraid to ruffle feathers - just don’t get it these day where pundit jobs getting monopolised by recently retired/failed players looking for a soft landing who don’t want to upset their buddies

he really didn’t like the GAA
    “I often notice when they (GAA players) are commenting on things, they’re always talking about the sacrifices they make. You’ll never hear that among athletes, boxers, swimmers or people who do international running. But always with the GAA it’s always, always a sacrifice. Now maybe I’m extra sensitive to this…but they all talk about the sacrifice they’re making.”
    Wouldn't be the biggest fan of the GAA myself but not too sure i can agree with that really. I guess the athletes, boxers etc he refers to are getting paid well for their vocation. GAA players aren't unless they are at the absolute top of their game, and anything they get is unofficial really.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      I used to love Jerry Kiernan doing analysis of the athletics for the Olympics. Five minutes of him talking about a race and you were practically an expert he was so good at getting the info across. And the passion he had for it made you a steeplechase fanatic for the half an hour. Used to enjoy the way he would stick pins in the self importance and sanctimony of the GAA as well even though I was feeling personally trolled most of the time. I'll miss him.
      Quality pundit and always put up a few solid value bets and decent ew punts. Shocking young.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of the GAA myself but not too sure i can agree with that really. I guess the athletes, boxers etc he refers to are getting paid well for their vocation. GAA players aren't unless they are at the absolute top of their game, and anything they get is unofficial really.
        Irish athletes , swimmers etc are a long way from well paid- far more lucrative to be a Dublin footballer for example

Comment

Irish athletes , swimmers etc are a long way from well paid- far more lucrative to be a Dublin footballer for example
          Yeah. Stephen Scullion is sponsored by under armour. They pay for his gear, get him to training camps.

He builds websites for a living.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            why imprison him, attack him, censor him and try to kill him then?
            because he's a famously good anti-corruption investigator. Thats why he was in Siberia in the first place. He doesn't like the government but its in a very particular way. Like he would have been cheering on the likes of Crimea. Its on local corruption they differ.

My point is that the west seem to think its about some freedom fighter thing, its not really. Like in that video he wants to rid Russia of non-Russians! You can be sure that nationalists in Russia will also be looking at the likes of Ukraine, Belarus as natural homeland extensions.

Putin is a nationalist too, he's just not a racist one like Navalny.

And to repeat - its not that Putin is in any way acceptable or justifiable as a result, its just that Navalny is not the answer.

Educate us as to what these are.
            I can't remember and can't find the list. But its some non-descript old guys within his own party.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I wonder if it was a heart attack.

A lot of lads who did a lot of hard mileage seem to die in their 50s and 60s whilst otherwise appearing very healthy.
              The thing I've learned about the heart

- its the number one killer of people in every society in the world

- its a muscle that we are brilliant at fixing if we know something is wrong with it

:::: everyone should get theirs checked regularly. Don't go out because of basic plumbing,

Comment

Trump gone and being able to say Lolerpool again. Things are turning around for sure.

Comment

Jesus, Liverpool are shite, that is some collapse over the last few games.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Not to everyone's taste but the new Whitehouse press secretary is tasty. Love those redheads .

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                      Jesus, Liverpool are shite, that is some collapse over the last few games.
                      Bit of a over reaction, no? Going through a rough patch.

They win the league pulling up imo.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        I thought Denny would be relieved today being finally able to drop the long troll. Am surprised you have the stomach to continue it now tbh.
                        Personally, I enjoy the devils advocate side of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Bit of a over reaction, no? Going through a rough patch.

They win the league pulling up imo.
                          unlikely I say. It's all City's at this stage, with an outside chance for utd.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

unlikely I say. It's all City's at this stage, with an outside chance for utd.
                            Yeah, city are the main threat I guess. I dont see United keeping their recent pace up. Everything that has had go right for them, has done but that wont last. Same as the liverpool rough patch wont last.

Leicester anyone? Surely couldn't do it again. Interesting season all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yeah, city are the main threat I guess. I dont see United keeping their recent pace up. Everything that has had go right for them, has done but that wont last. Same as the liverpool rough patch wont last.

Leicester anyone? Surely couldn't do it again. Interesting season all the same.
                              Wayne Rooney disagrees with you.

Also Kloops high tempo game can burn out his team take Dortmund for example . Same thing happened. They look physically and mentally spent. Need a break .

Comment

Liverpool losing all their defenders for a while doesn't help but the biggest problem is that Firmino is one of the most over rated footballers around. Miracle they got away with him until now.

Comment

Re Catherine Conolly

Absolutely love how she dealt with Donnelly recently who was acting like an entitled little cunt.

Yes, from what i have seen shes the real deal

PS
                                  he may not have been acting

Comment

Fair play to the aussies

bringing in a law to force google and Facebook pay for the material they thieve from the people who create journalism

EU hopefully will follow suit. Time to strangle these fuckers in Red tape. Leeches need to be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Welcome to old age HH
                                      You can add me to this one, had two glasses of wine last night and woke at 5am feeling dreadful. Head only just back to working order now.

Apologies to GAB for laughing at him last week.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Fair play to the aussies

bringing in a law to force google and Facebook pay for the material they thieve from the people who create journalism

EU hopefully will follow suit. Time to strangle these fuckers in Red tape. Leeches need to be dealt with.
                                        Thought the EU we were ahead of them with copyright reform in 2019? Still has to be implements by member states. France leading the way.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Fair play to the aussies

Is having news stories news stories appear in google searches really “thieving”? What’s the logic there?

Are you suggesting that news media should be able to opt out of search engines. That’s doesn’t feel like a great business move.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Thought the EU we were ahead of them with copyright reform in 2019? Still has to be implements by member states. France leading the way.
                                            The Aussie one is nothing to do with copyright.
                                            It’s basically saying that big media companies should be paid to have their content listed in google search results. And that media companies should have access to the search algorithm so they can potentially influence their ranking.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

ive been afraid to open a bottle of red ever since
                                                Might be paranoia, but entirely possible we have had covid and didn't realise it. Most studies suggesting actual cases are 4/5* detected cases.

Be an interesting thing to check for next time we get a bloods test for anything.

Comment

Maybe I'm being thick, but I thought having your content go to the top of page 1 of a google search was a very good thing of itself.
                                                  Why would you expect to be paid for it as well?

Comment

Fair play to the aussies
                                                    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e_iOSApp_Other

What will happen, if forced to pay for news in a world with an overwhelming supply of news and not a huge amount of interest in the quality of news - is the search engines will just cut out the news sources that cost money. Or if the cost is sufficiently large, they'll just produce the news themselves. In no future world are newspapers actually thriving.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                      Maybe I'm being thick, but I thought having your content go to the top of page 1 of a google search was a very good thing of itself.
                                                      Why would you expect to be paid for it as well?
                                                      I haven't read what PSV shared but you're right generally the idea is to appear on page 1 of google because anything else is effectively very low value.

Two ways of doing it, you have PPC & SEO, the former being the paid method and latter being the organic method.

You're bidding on ad words for the PPC method with insurance companies being the most expensive if I recall correctly.

I don't quite understand the logic here either as it deviates from the two other methods.

They're effectively saying, "Our news drives value to Google so instead of us paying for PPC ad words, you should pay us for driving traffic to your search engine?"

You're right, I think we're both thick

Comment

Might be paranoia, but entirely possible we have had covid and didn't realise it. Most studies suggesting actual cases are 4/5* detected cases.

Be an interesting thing to check for next time we get a bloods test for anything.
                                                        I’d be more concerned if a bottle of red wine didn’t give you a hangover. A few glasses can also give you one if you sleep less than you should. As for Covid, if being completely at zero levels energy and a bit of a dull headache for 2 weeks is a sypmton then I definitely got it. However I’m flying on a spinning bike every day at the moment (can’t jog yet) and feel good. My plan is to have a music Friday evening with at least one bottle of red. I’ve factored in the hangover for tomorrow. If you can’t do the time, don’t do …

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

What will happen, if forced to pay for news in a world with an overwhelming supply of news and not a huge amount of interest in the quality of news - is the search engines will just cut out the news sources that cost money. Or if the cost is sufficiently large, they'll just produce the news themselves. In no future world are newspapers actually thriving.
                                                          The big broadsheets have been in decline for decades now, that's undeniable.

I think there's an important exception to this trend: local newspapers. Went to school with a guy who is now somewhat of a local newspaper mogul and doing very well out of it.

Comment

The big broadsheets have been in decline for decades now, that's undeniable.

I think there's an important exception to this trend: local newspapers. Went to school with a guy who is now somewhat of a local newspaper mogul and doing very well out of it.
                                                            I can understand why.

There is no motivation to buy a newspaper like the fear of your picture ending up in the Leinster Leader or Kildare Post after a completely forgettable night in Time (Naas), Swifts(Newbridge) or Tiger Lily's(Kildare).

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                              it's not a hangover solks - its something completely different.
                                                              I just looked at the bottle I opened. I'd say I drank 1/5th of it so 150ml of red wine - with food too. That's less than 2 units.

You're right, it's not a hangover at those levels. And feels different to a hangover.

Let the paranoia rip!

Comment

Googling alcohol and Covid led to this WHO publication. I want to know where exactly (apart from Kerry obv) the following myths are prevalent:

General myths about alcohol and COVID-19

Myth Consuming alcohol destroys the virus that causes COVID-19.

Fact Consuming alcohol will not destroy the virus, and its consumption is likely to increase the health risks if a person becomes infected with the virus. Alcohol (at a concentration of at least 60% by volume) works as a disinfectant on your skin, but it has no such effect within your system when ingested.

Myth Drinking strong alcohol kills the virus in the inhaled air

Fact Consumption of alcohol will not kill the virus in the inhaled air; it will not disinfect your mouth and throat; and it will not give you any kind of protection against COVID-19.

Myth Alcohol (beer, wine, distilled spirits or herbal alcohol) stimulates immunity and resistance to the virus.

Fact Alcohol has a deleterious effect on your immune system and will not stimulate immunity and virus resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                  They're effectively saying, "Our news drives value to Google so instead of us paying for PPC ad words, you should pay us for driving traffic to your search engine?"

You're right, I think we're both thick
                                                                  That’s it in a nutshell. It’s a bill drafted by dinosaurs who don’t understand how the internet works.
                                                                  they’ve listened to print media complaining that they are dying because of the big bad internet. And the solution invented was to charge for the content.

Technically it’s a negotiation, not a one-way charge. So some media companies had the sense raise concerns.
                                                                  As they must “consider the value they receive from Facebook and Google users viewing their content”.

Comment

Comment

I don’t really care if it helps the newspapers
                                                                      Anything that damages the ability of Facebook and google to make money is a good thing, 2 companies who have done more damage to the social fabric of western countries than possibly any in history- like you’d rather your kids grew up to work for tobacco companies than those 2

they are freeloading parasites and they need to have manners put on them in every possible way

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                        Rogan getting a bad dose would be fantastic considering his form during the pandemic

Comment

You can add me to this one, had two glasses of wine last night and woke at 5am feeling dreadful. Head only just back to working order now.

Apologies to GAB for laughing at him last week.
                                                                          As well as being like well old...

You've probably de-toleranced yourself to the sulphites due to cleaner living

Not all it's made out it be is that clean living lark

You can accept it and move on
                                                                          or
                                                                          Start drinking like a total lush on a heater to try and and rebuild it

IF it helps...the wine was probably always doing that to you under the hood, it's just you were used to it so slept thru it

*But get tested if you're worried... don't be the "A barman told me" guy
                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 22-01-21, 12:20. Reason: *

Comment

Rogan getting a bad dose would be fantastic considering his form during the pandemic
                                                                            He's an odd fish
                                                                            low tone mumble...wear a mask people... 2 hours of shouting FREEDOM...

I Think from looking at Michelle Wolf's hands and posture that she ain't comfortable with the whole group hug thing

Comment

I don't know which banker from a big city needs to see a picture of this particular river today, but here it is.

view-Bahr-Al-Jabal-South-Sudan-Juba.jpg

Comment

Probably pay for the same treatment Trump got and say it was nothing!?

Comment

Googling alcohol and Covid led to this WHO publication. I want to know where exactly (apart from Kerry obv) the following myths are prevalent:
                                                                                  During your time with the Buddhists , where you ever offered opium ? Is it true it cures Covid ? Is there a post opium hangover ? Is it good with cheese ?

I need alternatives just in case covid feeds off the ol vino

Comment

It gets better, batshit Elon and his batshit missus...

Apparently she is enjoying covid and likes getting high on the cough medicine

Fuckem!

Comment

Fuck Trump!

Comment

Where is that river HH? Looks exotic

Comment

Where is that river HH? Looks exotic
                                                                                          After extensive detecting....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equatoria
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                            yeah i was going for bcb being in de-nile, as I've lowered myself to solks jokes

it seems i got the wrong nile maybe

Comment

yeah i was going for bcb being in de-nile, as I've lowered myself to solks jokes

it seems i got the wrong nile maybe
                                                                                              That hurts. I shall get my life in order

MORGAN FREEMAN : alas He did not get his life in order. Instead as per usual he drank wine and fought with liverpool fans online .

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                you don't think of rivers in that part of the world really but I guess the Nile works. And maybe we'll give HH double points for a Nils joke.

Comment

Ferry booked August 6th. Come on vaccination drive.

Comment

Cost a grand for four of us Dublin-Cherbourg, without a car and with a club lounge access cabin. Is that cheap or expensive? I'd like to feel its an absolute bargain never to be repeated, but have just no idea what ferry prices normally are. They have free cancellation built in, so no real risk anyway.

Comment

Cost a grand for four of us Dublin-Cherbourg, without a car and with a club lounge access cabin. Is that cheap or expensive? I'd like to feel its an absolute bargain never to be repeated, but have just no idea what ferry prices normally are. They have free cancellation built in, so no real risk anyway.
                                                                                                      The arms will be hanging off ye without a car carrying all the duty free.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Ferry booked August 6th. Come on vaccination drive.

Assuming no issues with the vaccine or another flukey vaccine resistant strain doesn't turn up!

How long does the vaccine keep you immune for anyway?

Comment

Taking the ferry without a car? Why in God's name wouldn't you fly?
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Taking the ferry without a car? Why in God's name wouldn't you fly?
                                                                                                            That W.B. Yeats is a very nice ferry. I feel a plane just won't be safe. We're probably looking at a situation where maybe I will be vaccinated but not my wife, two kids, so what will they be breathing on the airplane? Just don't want the risk of it. Plus I genuinely like the ferry with kids. They go to the cinema, sleep in a strange cabin, plan what they'll do, eat junk food. Its really kinda cool.

Comment

Exercise this week has been:

3km return trip there and back to Dunnes straight after waking up to get coffee and pastry.

4km jog an hour after lunch

3km brisk evening walk in the frosty cold.

------

Thats not too bad I guess, coming from nothing at the beginning of Jan. I averaged 5k steps in Oct, Nov, Dec. Most of which just from going to the kids school once a day and pottering around the apartment.

Comment

3km return trip there and back to Dunnes straight after waking up to get coffee and pastry.
                                                                                                                We know what a return trip is dude.

Comment

We know what a return trip is dude.
                                                                                                                  He must live 750m from Dunn’s.

Comment

That W.B. Yeats is a very nice ferry. I feel a plane just won't be safe. We're probably looking at a situation where maybe I will be vaccinated but not my wife, two kids, so what will they be breathing on the airplane? Just don't want the risk of it. Plus I genuinely like the ferry with kids. They go to the cinema, sleep in a strange cabin, plan what they'll do, eat junk food. Its really kinda cool.
                                                                                                                    kids are running around all over a ferry, jumping on each other and licking faces

Comment

Odd though it may seem, I haven't been allowed to directly query a database for the last three years. Just got squirrel to access a pile of databases and realised I have forgotten all the SQL I ever knew.

Is there any good site out there I could look over at the weekend to refresh myself? Obvs I am going to hire people to do this shit for me but there will be a gap where I might have to do it myself.

Comment

@HH

Pastry? PASTRY!!!

Pain au chocolat would be about 400 cals
                                                                                                                        That would be very very approximately 4km jog.

Hate to be a kill joy on the food but you have had a heart transplant/thingy/procedure (cant remember exactly)!

As GLTOME has already pointed out you cant outrun a bad diet.

However kudos on the activity, getting out 3 times is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                          @HH

Pastry? PASTRY!!!

Pain au chocolat would be about 400 cals
                                                                                                                          That would be very very approximately 4km jog.

Hate to be a kill joy on the food but you have had a heart transplant/thingy/procedure (cant remember exactly)!

As GLTOME has already pointed out you cant outrun a bad diet.

However kudos on the activity, getting out 3 times is impressive.
                                                                                                                          Ah no. There's nothing wrong with my heart now, and I didn't do anything wrong with it in the first place. It was just some sort of defect. The only advice is to make sure to not cause any more problems to the heart as it gets complicated if you've already had surgery. Do that's the issue. I need to treat the heart extra well. Don't think a morning pain au chocolat is making a difference.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X