Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would we be lucky to be out of lockdown by March?

Comment

Middle of March at least I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I have one of these in the bigger size and it's perfect, the edges are quite high.

stellar-rocktanium-5-piece-cookware-set-free-multi-20cm-frypan-worth-3500-spc1.jpg
        Those are the ones I mean but was too lazy to find pics. Have a couple of those in 32 cm

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Middle of March at least I'd say
          I’d say something like that, it should be pegged against vaccines but whether they will or not is another thing.

You can get a very loose estimation of when you’re up for vaccination: https://www.omnicalculator.com/healt...-vaccine-queue

Comment

Outdoor dining late in March, I'd say. Indoor stuff because of the increased recognition of the circulation of the virus indoors might be June.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Would love to book a summer holiday but it would seem to be erring on the foolish side of optimism.
              ya think? I don't see any problems if using the ferry. Nearly everyone will be vaccinated by the summer, so there will be no virus circulating full stop. Even if you're not vaccinated, you'll just have to pass a test. Using the ferry means almost no risk as there's no real touch-points on a ferry where you have to interact with anyone. The key will be booking the ferry early imo. I'm thinking of booking it next week maybe.

Comment

At least Trump gets the satisfaction of having a bigger turnout for his inauguration than Biden

I like that Nigella has done a Susie Dent by having as todays recipie of the day

Bitter Orange Tart

EsKxiGxXMAUm3NT?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                  You can get a very loose estimation of when you’re up for vaccination: https://www.omnicalculator.com/healt...-vaccine-queue
                  You might want to hold off for a little bit on all the recent advice Hitch, according to that calculator fat people get the vaccine sooner. BMI 40+ is one of the relevant conditions, so you may even wish to eat a little more.

B8ntlx-IgAA1TfE.jpg

Depending on how much I ham up my asthma I can expect to be jabbed by this June or if not maybe May '22.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ya think? I don't see any problems if using the ferry. Nearly everyone will be vaccinated by the summer, so there will be no virus circulating full stop. Even if you're not vaccinated, you'll just have to pass a test. Using the ferry means almost no risk as there's no real touch-points on a ferry where you have to interact with anyone. The key will be booking the ferry early imo. I'm thinking of booking it next week maybe.
                    Why ferry BTW? Will you be driving by then?

I'm liking the optimism. Most estimates I've seen say Autumn though for critical mass vaccination. Looking at an Ireland holiday again this year, which is obv. not a bad thing.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Haven't read it all, but this John Waters article is quite something https://johnwaters.substack.com/p/aprs-trump-le-deluge

The final impediment between the Combine and their ambition of enslaving the working population of the world was Donald J. Trump.
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                        Haven't read it all, but this John Waters article is quite something https://johnwaters.substack.com/p/aprs-trump-le-deluge
                        Basically whatever Internet rabbit hole you go down, Trump is going to be the answer. So not surprising really.

I'm old enough to remember when Waters was seen as a serious figure.

Comment

Basically whatever Internet rabbit hole you go down, Trump is going to be the answer. So not surprising really.

I'm old enough to remember when Waters was seen as a serious figure.
                          Yeah, I mostly remember him from Hot Press in the 1980's. Seemed as lefty liberal as most people there at the time.

Comment

Ya Hitch...any chance you could stick up a diet and exercise plan for the rest of us to follow

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Yeah, I mostly remember him from Hot Press in the 1980's. Seemed as lefty liberal as most people there at the time.
                              ge was always a gobshite.
                              cant believe hot press is still going , who is buying it

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                At least Trump gets the satisfaction of having a bigger turnout for his inauguration than Biden

I like that Nigella has done a Susie Dent by having as todays recipie of the day

Bitter Orange Tart

EsKxiGxXMAUm3NT?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
                                If going down that route surely you'd go for
                                A deliciously decadent pudding to be served in your best glassware

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1685562&d=1611186173&type=thumb Oh Daddy .
                                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Waters is a perfect example of why smoking weed for years is bad for your health.

Comment

Why ferry BTW? Will you be driving by then?

I'm liking the optimism. Most estimates I've seen say Autumn though for critical mass vaccination. Looking at an Ireland holiday again this year, which is obv. not a bad thing.
                                      I just quite like ferries, thats it. Plus there is obvious potential to socially distance. No, no car until probably September.

Comment

BIDEN is toast .

Comment

EsOfW7RWMAANv6M?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Comment

BIDEN is toast .

Comment

Amazing how much of Trump's work can be simply undone with an Executive Order. It's lucky Trump never understood how to legislate.
                                              Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 21-01-21, 09:33.

Comment

Amazing how much of Trump's work can be simply undone with an Executive Order. It's lucky Trump never understood out how to legislate.
                                                I was remarking on twitter, in one of my more sensible comments - the devil will be in the detail of which executive orders are actually lifted. There's probably a fair bit of nasty stuff that Trump did that Dems agree with but can't be seen to agree with, so they'll just never get around to lifting those particular orders and if anyone asks they can blame Trump. There has been no word, for example, on steel tariffs which mainly target poor countries on the dubious grounds of national security.

Comment

I was remarking on twitter, in one of my more sensible comments - the devil will be in the detail of which executive orders are actually lifted. There's probably a fair bit of nasty stuff that Trump did that Dems agree with but can't be seen to agree with, so they'll just never get around to lifting those particular orders and if anyone asks they can blame Trump. There has been no word, for example, on steel tariffs which mainly target poor countries on the dubious grounds of national security.
                                                  Fair point but I think the difference between an Administration that has a President who (a) actually has a coherent agenda and (b), understands how to use to the levers of power to get shit done, and one that had a President who had no real vision beyond pissing off liberals and causing conflict, will be immense in terms of lasting impact.

Once the sound and fury of the Trump presidency dies away, we'll be left asking 'what was that all about?' and the answer in terms of lasting policy impacts, will be 'not much'. The social\cultural impacts however will probably be much greater.

Comment

Certainly not the most insidious decision but the Trump administration’s decision during the jobs act to discourage homeowners receiving tax relief on mortgage interest.

Dems probably won’t say it but they’re happy enough to leave that untouched as it will generate around 600-700b in additional taxes over 10 years and the impact on people is not that obvious.

Apparently it cost homeowners 1 trillion dollars of value which is approx 4% lower than average home price would have been and 6.6% less equity.

Comment

This time four years ago I was in Tehran looking to expand the already significant business we were doing there, by summer not only were the contracts we were about to sign torn up but our existing customers went off grid and I afaik have all moved to Chinese vendors. The people I dealt with had for example never paid for a Windows licence before but were about to 'go straight' after the Obama deal. Our bit of business is just a a tiny drop in a big ocean that was about more than economics, its going to be difficult to rebuild those bridges.

Comment

quick question:

SPOILER
                                                        who was the woman who was banned from here for making up multiple accounts? could anyone send me details?

Comment

Please keep all talk of her to pm. Please. Just in case.

Can't be dealing with that.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Fair point but I think the difference between an Administration that has a President who (a) actually has a coherent agenda and (b), understands how to use to the levers of power to get shit done, and one that had a President who had no real vision beyond pissing off liberals and causing conflict, will be immense in terms of lasting impact.

Once the sound and fury of the Trump presidency dies away, we'll be left asking 'what was that all about?' and the answer in terms of lasting policy impacts, will be 'not much'. The social\cultural impacts however will probably be much greater.
                                                            Someone (sane) was messaging last week that there was almost certainly going to be a massacre, huge armed protests, mass violence, stock market crash. "They'd be watching US news" and were certain of all of this.

Trump + US News broke people's brains.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                              Someone (sane) was messaging last week that there was almost certainly going to be a massacre, huge armed protests, mass violence, stock market crash. "They'd be watching US news" and were certain of all of this.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make here.

As to 'broke people's brains', I guess the sight of a President actively encouraging his followers to assault another branch of government would certainly qualify.

Comment

Someone is not a great sample size . Are you trying to create something that you yourself are critical off

Who broke your brain

Comment

I don't even know what point you're trying to make here. .
                                                                  That there was mass hysteria. In the end after four years, the was no nuclear war, no coup, no threat of him not leaving.

People like maddow will have to get a new job.
                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-01-21, 12:26.

Comment

That there was mass hysteria. In the end after four years, the was no nuclear war, no coup, no threat of him not leaving.
                                                                    So you dont think the events which occurred at the Capitol Building warrant the concerns that people had about him?

It's almost like you're suggesting that no nuclear war, no coup or no threat of him not leaving means concern wasnt warranted.

Was the incitement of a riot at the Capital Building or the lies regarding voter fraud not enough "proof" that if given enough latitude he would have done as he pleased?

Comment

Only because the institutions held under a President who tried to break them to illegally hold into power.

You do get that don't you?

Comment

How can you be so sensible on the US, raoul, and then be so caught up in the Russia = spy thriller loop that you end up promoting a racist from there. Thats what I don't get.

Thread!

Comment

I thought Denny would be relieved today being finally able to drop the long troll. Am surprised you have the stomach to continue it now tbh.

Comment

That there was mass hysteria
                                                                            Organising a mob to take over the Capitol in order to try and usurp democracy by preventing the election being validated is a bit more than mass hysteria tbf

I'm holding the people like you and Michael Malice responsible.
                                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-01-21, 13:02.

Comment

yikes

Comment

yikes
                                                                                Was always going to be a case of RTFM

Even if they get away with it it was always an insane strategy to throw out the products tested parameters in order to make your numbers look good.

If there is a real problem it should see Johnson being removed from power, but it won't because as a consequence of people like Denny enabling Trump, Johnson can just stand up and lie from now till christmas and its all the fault of the corporate (formerly 'fake') media.

Comment

How can you be so sensible on the US, raoul, and then be so caught up in the Russia = spy thriller loop that you end up promoting a racist from there. Thats what I don't get.

Thread!

standard enough isn’t it,long list of this kind of stuff in western media where some piece of shit is held up as a good guy because it suits, this is why grown adults should never use the word Hero about a politician, politics isn’t a Marvel movie- something Biden/Harris fans will get a handy lesson in over next 4 years
                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 21-01-21, 14:14.

Comment

FB_IMG_1611238313385.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

standard enough isn’t it,long list of this kind of stuff in western media where some piece of shit is held up as a good guy because it suits, this is why grown adults should never use the word Hero about a politician, politics isn’t a Marvel movie- something Biden/Harris fans will get a handy lesson in over next 4 years
                                                                                      Joe is Capt America and Kamilla is cat woman and dont you forget it .

I once accused a teenager in a shop of racism as he called out boy to another kid (black) at the counter. Get me a roll boy. . Turns out black kids name sounded like boy. I nearly blushed .

Comment

Thread!

tbh, I'd expect you to recognise a Russiabot by now. Phrases like 'liberal imperalism' pepper her Twitter feed.

Although if you want to show me a reputable news source instead, I'll be more than happy to review it. Otherwise, i think 'whatever' is the only appropriate repsonse and I ain't biting any further.

Comment

tbh, I'd expect you to recognise a Russiabot by now. Phrases like 'liberal imperalism' pepper her Twitter feed.

Although if you want to show me a reputable news source instead, I'll be more than happy to review it. Otherwise, i think 'whatever' is the only appropriate repsonse and I ain't biting any further.
                                                                                          He's in an actual video saying these things!!!

He is saying the words. Not anyone else.

Asked the wife what he was saying in this video:

She said: "Nationalist propaganda. How we need to defend our Russian "root" and deport anyone who's not Russian. Ends with "think about the future, become a nationalist" "

Comment

So unless you think that is a deepfake, thats exactly where we are right now.

just to stop the stupidity - I'm not therefore saying that psychopath putin is the real hero in the story, I'm just pointing out how flawed your understanding of Russia is that you think a white nationalist is some sort of political saviour.

Comment

So much of our understanding of international politics is flawed. I remember cheering on the fall of Mubarak in Egypt and the introduction of free will. Then the population with their combined free expression voted in religious extremists that would make the taliban look decent. It's not necessarily the case that opposition politicians are saviours, simply because they are in opposition. Aung San Suu Kyi, Morgan Tsvengari, Muslim Brotherhood, the Ukrainian nationalists doing nazi salutes and wanting to rid the country of non whites. So many countries are just dodgy all the way through in a way that we're not used to.

Comment

Jerry Kiernan passed away. Runners should know him

Comment

I take back anything bad I ever said about Biden , he took the bust of Genocidal racist lush Churchill out of the oval office

Comment

So unless you think that is a deepfake, thats exactly where we are right now.

just to stop the stupidity - I'm not therefore saying that psychopath putin is the real hero in the story, I'm just pointing out how flawed your understanding of Russia is that you think a white nationalist is some sort of political saviour.
                                                                                                    If you can point out a recent profile of Navalny by a major news org (you know, the kind of place that checks facts), I'm not really interested in what some Russiabot is saying on Twitter.

(And I'd love to see where I said Navalny is a political saviour - because I didn't. I said he's brave, which is undeniable. Inventing facts seems to be a pastime for anyone who comes into the Russian orbit.)

For contrast, here's the NYT view.

Comment

Ah Raoul.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        Lovely fella,
                                                                                                        ran me into the ground in an x-country race
                                                                                                        on a snow covered Phoenix Park once.

I think it was the long string of expletives delivered in perfect fluent Italian
                                                                                                        with an unmistakable Kerry accent
                                                                                                        which first alerted the craven young Jackeen
                                                                                                        that he was messing with the wrong dude
                                                                                                        when he attempted to increase the pace.

Comment

He is in the video saying these things himself. I don't get the russiabot thing. Do you think he is a russiabot? Do you think he didn't say this?

The thread goes on to give a link to an interview with The Guardian where he is asked if he disavows himself of these claims. And he says never.

You simply don't understand the country. Not least that Navalny is in no way a significant political threat. While there are actual political threats that Putin is genuinely scared of.

​​​​​​

Comment

You simply don't understand the country.
                                                                                                            and you do?

Not least that Navalny is in no way a significant political threat.
                                                                                                            why imprison him, attack him, censor him and try to kill him then?

While there are actual political threats that Putin is genuinely scared of.​​​​​​
                                                                                                            Educate us as to what these are.

Comment

just finished watching "the dissident", new documentary by Brian Fogel (the guy who did Icarus). It's a grim and fascinating documentary about Jamal Khashoggi's assassination. Incredibly slick, well paced accompanied by a great score. 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                I wonder if it was a heart attack.

A lot of lads who did a lot of hard mileage seem to die in their 50s and 60s whilst otherwise appearing very healthy.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I used to love Jerry Kiernan doing analysis of the athletics for the Olympics. Five minutes of him talking about a race and you were practically an expert he was so good at getting the info across. And the passion he had for it made you a steeplechase fanatic for the half an hour. Used to enjoy the way he would stick pins in the self importance and sanctimony of the GAA as well even though I was feeling personally trolled most of the time. I'll miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                    I used to love Jerry Kiernan doing analysis of the athletics for the Olympics. Five minutes of him talking about a race and you were practically an expert he was so good at getting the info across. And the passion he had for it made you a steeplechase fanatic for the half an hour. Used to enjoy the way he would stick pins in the self importance and sanctimony of the GAA as well even though I was feeling personally trolled most of the time. I'll miss him.
                                                                                                                    Yeah was very good on TV- not afraid to ruffle feathers - just don’t get it these day where pundit jobs getting monopolised by recently retired/failed players looking for a soft landing who don’t want to upset their buddies

he really didn’t like the GAA
                                                                                                                    “I often notice when they (GAA players) are commenting on things, they’re always talking about the sacrifices they make. You’ll never hear that among athletes, boxers, swimmers or people who do international running. But always with the GAA it’s always, always a sacrifice. Now maybe I’m extra sensitive to this…but they all talk about the sacrifice they’re making.”

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

A lot of lads who did a lot of hard mileage seem to die in their 50s and 60s whilst otherwise appearing very healthy.
                                                                                                                      A comforting thought for those of us currently in the 'do a little, a lot bracket!

We tortoises will outrun the hares.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 21-01-21, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Mileage is cardio work V.

Heart strengthening.

Comment

He would often turn up at races, saw him at the Jingle Bells 5k last year. Mad into the sport.

Sad. Rip.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X