Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitchhiker's Guide To... was that €66 DPD charge for the suit you ordered? Not impressed with the German Amazon site at all, just doesn't have the same stuff as the UK one, never mind the extra postage.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Off he went with a trumpity Trump. TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Wrong mellor . High intensity walking is much better for you than you than 10 steps. Are you saying because you are not running that walking cant be high intensity? Maybe not for you but it's been recommended that people concentrate on intensity rather than distance for walking Apart from the obvious cardio benefits , its highly more achievable than the time needed to do a 10k walk every day. Look at the rotund golfers who walk 30k steps a day . I'm surprised an enlightened fitness guy like yourself believes differently .
        There’s a few different points there Solks.

HIIT refers to a particular protocol of alternating high intensity work and recovery periods. The work part typical can only be sustained for 2-5mins. That level simply can’t be reached with walking.

You are on the right track. But you are mixing a few concepts.
        Higher intensity walking is recommended because most people workout for time. And yes it Burns more for time, but it doesn’t burn any more energy per km. Walking faster simply means you’ll cover distance sooner.
        The total you burn is related to the distance.
        So saying 5km fast is better than 8km slow is incorrect. The slow walk will burn more overall - but will also take would three times as long.

Basic principle of energy is that is proportional to work done. The more work you get done, the more you burn. It’s really that straightforward.

Around of golf is maybe 8km. As Hitch said earlier about 500cals. Easy to wipe that out before you’ve left the clubhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
          There’s a few different points there Solks.

HIIT refers to a particular protocol of alternating high intensity work and recovery periods. The work part typical can only be sustained for 2-5mins. That level simply can’t be reached with walking.

You are on the right track. But you are mixing a few concepts.
          Higher intensity walking is recommended because most people workout for time. And yes it Burns more for time, but it doesn’t burn any more energy per km. Walking faster simply means you’ll cover distance sooner.
          The total you burn is related to the distance.
          So saying 5km fast is better than 8km slow is incorrect. The slow walk will burn more overall - but will also take would three times as long.

Basic principle of energy is that is proportional to work done. The more work you get done, the more you burn. It’s really that straightforward.

Around of golf is maybe 8km. As Hitch said earlier about 500cals. Easy to wipe that out before you’ve left the clubhouse.
          You are overthinking it . 3 x 1500 fast walks > 10k steps .for fitness. It's been proven Look at the whole point . Weight loss comparison is minimal so ...

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
            Wireless headphones ~€200

Was told Bose QC 35 or Sony XM3.

That about right or should I be looking anywhere else?
            to be fair they're both great pieces of kit and after extensive trials i went for the sony (older version at the time) as i really don't like the Bose sound, especially once you compare them against one another.

One other thing to consider, which i didn't at the time, is whether you need or want noise cancelling. i found out that i hate it as it makes me feel nauseous. Couldn't understand why i felt sick getting into the office after a tube ride. they're still great with noise cancelling off thankfully.

Comment

Interesting

QAnon has much in common with alternate reality games (ARG), LARPs, and interactive theater, but these gaming mechanisms are used in a slightly different manner to create something very different from an actual game.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                Hitchhiker's Guide To... was that €66 DPD charge for the suit you ordered? Not impressed with the German Amazon site at all, just doesn't have the same stuff as the UK one, never mind the extra postage.
                Yep - the suit. The fuckers. They're not meant to charge surely? (paid €259, material made in Italy, tailoring in UK, UK VAT was included in price).

Nah, Amazon need to sort out an Irish store.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Getting into a new reading habit of (a) strictly alternating fiction with non-fiction and (b) forcing myself to post a Goodreads review of every book I read; seems to be a good pattern for making me think about what I'm reading and avoiding the trap of reading sludge repetitively. Would recommend.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That was me. Yeah this is class. Was buying small jars in Supervalu but see that have it in bulk in their place in Nutgrove. I'll get a batch. Eating it with everything.
                    yeah found it in supervalu! the big tubs are decent value.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Getting into a new reading habit of (a) strictly alternating fiction with non-fiction and (b) forcing myself to post a Goodreads review of every book I read; seems to be a good pattern for making me think about what I'm reading and avoiding the trap of reading sludge repetitively. Would recommend.
                      Your reviews are great!

I read a non-fiction during the daytime and fiction at night. Its a nice balance. Sometimes you just want a decent yarn to sleep to.

Comment

Trump going out with a bit of a whimper, was hoping for way more drama in his final batch of pardons.

Comment

Wireless headphones ~€200

Was told Bose QC 35 or Sony XM3.

That about right or should I be looking anywhere else?
                          Never tried the Sony but I bought refurbed Bose wireless noise canceling from their official website (200 vs 350 new), and very happy with them. They’re my second pair after buying a wired Bose pair in the airport years before.

Comment

You are overthinking it . 3 x 1500 fast walks > 10k steps .for fitness. It's been proven Look at the whole point . Weight loss comparison is minimal so .
                            Best for fitness isn't the same as burning the most energy. Also been proven. As I said, you are mixing up different concepts.
                            Neither will have particularly high energy loads. averaged out, only a chocolate biscuit or two. Diet will be much more important.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Best for fitness isn't the same as burning the most energy. Also been proven. As I said, you are mixing up different concepts.
                                Neither will have particularly high energy loads. averaged out, only a chocolate biscuit or two. Diet will be much more important.

Been following this whole thing, thanks. My personal restriction is that in cardiac rehab they said to exercise at 60-80% of heart rate - so thats a bollix for running. I get a few minutes jogging, followed by needing to walk a bit etc. Must check that out with the consultant though, as doesn't seem like a realistic long-run restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Been following this whole thing, thanks. My personal restriction is that in cardiac rehab they said to exercise at 60-80% of heart rate - so thats a bollix for running. I get a few minutes jogging, followed by needing to walk a bit etc. Must check that out with the consultant though, as doesn't seem like a realistic long-run restriction.
                                  What are you using as a max heart rate? 180?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    Biden has been very direct about the folly of Brexit too. And has been around long enough to recognise a charlatan like Johnson too!

Comment

Yep - the suit. The fuckers. They're not meant to charge surely? (paid €259, material made in Italy, tailoring in UK, UK VAT was included in price).

Nah, Amazon need to sort out an Irish store.
                                      Should just need to pay the small increase in Irish VAT, contact thrm.

Comment

What are you using as a max heart rate? 180?
                                        they did a stress test in St Vincents and came up with a 60-80% heart range of 100-120bpm, which seems awfully low in terms of trying to do a bit of exercise. I'm wondering though if i might have misunderstood them.

Comment

Dont see what I'm mixing up. I've not mentioned weight loss at all. .
                                          Although The fitter you get the more you can do. The 10k steps thing is not as efficient. That's my point

Comment

New suits and getting in shape. Somebody got a side girl?
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Biden has been very direct about the folly of Brexit too. And has been around long enough to recognise a charlatan like Johnson too!
                                              I recall reading somewhere about an occasion where Boris gave John Kerry a MAGA hat while Kerry was on a state trip. Amazingly Kerry didn't clap him on the back for being a gas man.

You'd like to think there are a few lessons about senior hurling coming for the prick.

Comment

Lads had a heart op and put on a ton of weight due to piling into the sugar and ye are telling him to do HITT!?

Hitch...walk as much as you can, cut out the sugar and talk to your doctor/consultant!

*Btw I wouldn't get too hung up on your previous weight as it was clearly a unhealthy weight as seen by the heart problems.So I'd talk to the doc about what is an ideal weight for a man in your condition
                                                Good luck with it fella
                                                ​​​​​​
                                                Last edited by Guest; 20-01-21, 14:02.

Comment

they did a stress test in St Vincents and came up with a 60-80% heart range of 100-120bpm, which seems awfully low in terms of trying to do a bit of exercise. I'm wondering though if i might have misunderstood them.
                                                  I don't recall them giving me any such guidance. They were more just going until you were out of breath enough to still be able to carry on a conservation. I'd conservatively try to keep my bpm around 130, but I'm about 40 kg heavier than you and not exactly needing to run to get there

Comment

I don't recall them giving me any such guidance. They were more just going until you were out of breath enough to still be able to carry on a conservation. I'd conservatively try to keep my bpm around 130, but I'm about 40 kg heavier than you and not exactly needing to run to get there
                                                    ah you got the borg scale talk. fancy. they obv didn't trust me with such a wide-open-to-interpretation scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                      Lads had a heart op and put on a ton of weight due to piling into the sugar and ye are telling him to do HITT!?

Hitch...walk as much as you can, cut out the sugar and talk to your doctor/consultant!

*Btw I wouldn't get too hung up on your previous weight as it was clearly a unhealthy weight as seen by the heart problems.So I'd talk to the doc about what is an ideal weight for a man in your condition
                                                      Good luck with it fella
                                                      ​​​​​​
                                                      3k fast walks wont kill him. Getting out of breath is a healthy Part of the process HH should be well able. No circuit training now HH . At least till Sunday

Comment

Typically 225 - your age is seen as max heart rate.

Comment

There was a bit of chat in here before Christmas on An Post and delays on packages but I think Mrs. Lao Lao's episode has to be one of the worst.

She posted PJ's to her niece in Canada via Express post on Nov 27th - The idea being that we all wear the same PJ's on Christmas Day seems as her niece couldn't get home to Ireland due to Covid.

Dec 7th was the last day for express post to Canada so all sent well in time.

The track and trace just said ' In Dublin hub' for several weeks - Mrs Lao Lao went into the post office to try check on it but they advised that they have no visibility at all on it. There is no e-mail or phone number to contact An Post on the shipment, when you click on a link, it apparently brings you back to the track and trace.

She found out that you could submit an online form which seemed more geared to reporting it as lost rather than asking what is happening with it but she submitted it anyway about a week before Christmas.

In between Christmas and New Year's the package changed from "in Dublin hub" to "with Canadian customs"

The package got delivered in Canada on the 8th Jan.

Yesterday, Mrs Lao Lao got two letters from An Post, both were the exact same and both were dated Jan 15th and advising her that they had received her on-line form, were checking into it and would revert as soon as possible.

Overall, door/door transit time was 42 days, for Express post.

I wonder how long it will take them to check that the package has been delivered and let us know

Last edited by Lao Lao; 20-01-21, 14:14.

Comment

btw bought this . It's great 1/2 hour a day . if any of ye are looking for similar.

Comment

Wife just got a close contact text.
                                                              Only interactions have been with GP / ambulance service for FIL.

No moving house just yet so
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Dont see what I'm mixing up. I've not mentioned weight loss at all. .
                                                                Although The fitter you get the more you can do. The 10k steps thing is not as efficient. That's my point
                                                                That was literally the entirety of Hitch's question.
                                                                I was talking about weight loss, you claimed I was wrong.

Try to get your general activity up. Walk to the shops rather than transport. I know you 're a prolific reader, not sure if you're into audio books or podcasts. But they are an easy way to swap a seated activity at home for something you can do walking. Have an extra wank . These are all small gains, but they help. Trying to maximize calorie burn with excise is likely not an option with the ticker. Although, do check again with the consultant. 80% limit being 120bpm suggest a max of 150bpm, I'd have though it was more like the 180 CC mentioned. but could be a related to the op. But no hurry, can up the ante in future.

But really diet will make a much bigger impact overall.
                                                                A whole bagette with cultured butter daily might have to go.

Comment

My pal in London. His wife has a herniated cervical disc in her neck, so has been effectively crippled for about a month now. They've a one year old and a four year old. He's trying to balance work and the kids - but thankfully the youngest can still go to a creche. Until yesterday that is. When it turns out one of the other creche toddlers was sent to the creche this Monday despite being tested on Sunday due to having symptoms of corona. That toddler tests positive on Monday after spending the day in the creche and now he has both kids, a cripple wife, and a fcktonne of work. I told him to quit work for a few weeks wtf but no dice. He seems more intent on tracking down the parents of the toddler.

Comment

I'm no professional in the area of exercise or nutrition as are most people here. Cutting back on calories can will obviously lose weight and exercising to burn more will help even further - we all know this. I guess the key is to find some exercise method for you that is:

1. Safe to do based on your consultant's advice.
                                                                    2. Taxing enough on your body so you get health benefits.
                                                                    3. Not over-intense so as you can continue it regularly without tough recovery between sessions.
                                                                    4. Somewhat enjoyable so you keep the habit.

What does that mean for you? I think you're the only person that can answer this. Swimming, yoga, walking, cycling/walking at a moderate pace (podcast time too), dancing (yes and why not?), golf (easily 10km and 10k+ steps a round) are all good options. Personally yoga has been great during lockdown and can't recommend it highly enough - there are plenty of higher intensity variations of it available if you really want a sweat/workout. Golf too has been beneficial but as more of a personal challenge than health reasons. There's a balance somewhere between exercise and nutrition that will take trial and error for you to figure out. Good luck on your journey.

My missus has disc damage and is currently on a week off work with bad back pain. She used to be a dance professional (teacher) for several years and had ACL surgery in the past. With her injury profile it's hard to get any activity that doesn't trigger her back or knee. Also no dance classes available due to covid. Realistically the only thing she can do is walking atm, ideally at least 30 mins a day. She's finding it very hard to get any physical activity that fits her requirements and isn't boring. Very tough for someone used to being very active every single day to being sedentary. Looking like she'll have to get back/disc surgery in the next 12 months too.

Comment

My pal in London. His wife has a herniated cervical disc in her neck, so has been effectively crippled for about a month now. They've a one year old and a four year old. He's trying to balance work and the kids - but thankfully the youngest can still go to a creche. Until yesterday that is. When it turns out one of the other creche toddlers was sent to the creche this Monday despite being tested on Sunday due to having symptoms of corona. That toddler tests positive on Monday after spending the day in the creche and now he has both kids, a cripple wife, and a fcktonne of work. I told him to quit work for a few weeks wtf but no dice. He seems more intent on tracking down the parents of the toddler.
                                                                      Employers will be understanding generally. He should just fuck work for a few weeks as you say.

Comment

. Have an extra wank .
                                                                        Wwere doing a step challange at work a recently and one lad is breaking all records for step count. On a casual group call people are slagging him suggesting he has his watch tied to a duracell bunny etc. I said that all he'd done was switch his watch to his wanking hand... long silent pause before anyone laughed then he chipped in saving me in with 'Hey doesn't everybody do that'
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Wwere doing a step challange at work a recently and one lad is breaking all records for step count. On a casual group call people are slagging him suggesting he has his watch tied to a duracell bunny etc. I said that all he'd done was switch his watch to his wanking hand... long silent pause before anyone laughed then he chipped in saving me in with 'Hey doesn't everybody do that'
                                                                          That's a pretty good way to get yourself sacked/sued

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

That's a pretty good way to get yourself sacked/sued
                                                                            If you're old, you get a pass.

Comment

She did it again. lol

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

So was watching the cousins funeral mass this am
                                                                                Prof David Foley, Interventional Cardiologist.

He was held in such high regard by colleagues, family, friends and patients. He made a huge impact on people lives and will be sorely missed.

RIP Dave

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                    So was watching the cousins funeral mass this am
                                                                                    Prof David Foley, Interventional Cardiologist.

He was held in such high regard by colleagues, family, friends and patients. He made a huge impact on people lives and will be sorely missed.

RIP Dave
                                                                                    Oh I saw a twitter thread on him. Saying how amazing he was. RIP.

He must have only been touching 60 years or thereabouts?
                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-01-21, 16:22.

Comment

Oh I saw a twitter thread on him. Saying how amazing he was. RIP.

He must have only been touching 60 years or thereabouts?
                                                                                      Saw the twitter comments, lovely to see.
                                                                                      60 in a few months.

Cant begin to tell you what a great character he was.

Comment

Joe got the weather anyway.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaand.....we can all breathe again.

Comment

A swearing in with a crying baby and a Necronomicon
                                                                                            I give it exacly 45 seconds until the conspiracies start
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Think Betfair paid out lads.

Comment

OK to say finally TRUMP IS TOAST .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                  A swearing in with a crying baby and a Necronomicon
                                                                                                  I give it exacly 45 seconds until the conspiracies start
                                                                                                  Nice touch

Comment

OK to say finally TRUMP IS TOAST .
                                                                                                    Biden didn't pull any punches on that score but a speech without a live audience is tough.

Comment

Would have to have a token EW bt on number 2 in the next at Fundalk

Comment

How did we ever cook stuff without one of these deep dish frying pans. and wtf is wrong with regular frying pans that they aren't this type of frying pan. I guess the older style is because we didn't used to cook stirfries and the like in frying pans.

0z9fuHbl.jpg

Comment

Ah, that's a great relief all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                            Ran a stormer on debut, would have won in a few more yards. Those Dice progeny are more speedy than you would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              Bit green on debut, should have turned over the odds on Fav. Winner next time out.

Comment

How did we ever cook stuff without one of these deep dish frying pans. and wtf is wrong with regular frying pans that they aren't this type of frying pan. I guess the older style is because we didn't used to cook stirfries and the like in frying pans.

0z9fuHbl.jpg
                                                                                                                Cooking surface is way too small imo. You need the in-between ones. Large cooking surface with rounded higher edges

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Cooking surface is way too small imo. You need the in-between ones. Large cooking surface with rounded higher edges
                                                                                                                  i don't know. it seems pretty great.

Comment

does anyone know an account or tax person who deals with people earning money full time from trading
                                                                                                                    google and ringing a few accountants has been useless
                                                                                                                    please

Comment

Brexit just made the French holidays a lot easier. 30 sailings a week now from Ireland to France.

Comment

Brexit just made the French holidays a lot easier. 30 sailings a week now from Ireland to France.
                                                                                                                        Would love to book a summer holiday but it would seem to be erring on the foolish side of optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

I have one of these in the bigger size and it's perfect, the edges are quite high.

stellar-rocktanium-5-piece-cookware-set-free-multi-20cm-frypan-worth-3500-spc1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X