This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I worry about the scenario where you have crowds of people jostling for front of the line in an evironment such as this.
    I am probably being hyperbolic though.
    You ring up and they put you on a list. It’s not a case of turning up in person if you will.

Comment

Charles Byrne lives up the the 'canny operator' moniker
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Any news on Nicnic?
        He's well enough to be liking tweets. No doubt he's on Kaymer in Abu Dhabi this week.

Comment

10k steps is not as good as 5k stride fast walking and easier to do 3 a 15 minutes speed work way better .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            For the first time in my hitherto charmed existence I am faced with having to go on a mini-diet. Need to lose about 5 kilo to be ready for the beaches from St Tropez to Tramore.

Since about August I've added a whopping 14 kilos. Technically I'm not yet overweight, as before I was at the bottom of the healthy weight range and now I'm at the top. But the trend is clearly not my friend. The two main problems - I used to mainly get my exercise from walking while smoking, now sadly gone, and as a result of stopping smoking I appear to have started gorging myself on sugar.

My thinking is - easily gained, easily enough lost. I've now started doing 10k steps a day, including a few km jog. And have cut out about 500 calories per day that I was previously eating. Is that approximately it in terms of things that need to be done? Don't want to get into crap like meal planning etc.
            Welcome to old age HH

Comment

I'm optimistic we can roll out this vaccine . Our testing process was very well done . Ignore the hysterics . This can be done by May.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Welcome to old age HH
                Liking the copy and paste nature of this sage advice Dice!
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

14kg since August is 900g per week. Which is about 1000cal a day surplus on average (1lb = 500cal/d).
                  So 500cal cut out everyday is half the battle.
                  The relative impact of 10k steps depends on what you’ve been averaging since august. 10k is the high end of normal. To knock another 500cal a day of activity, you probably have to add some exercise a few times a week.
                  Thanks! Is it as simple as - if I was taking 1000cal extra a day, then I need to both cut that 1000cal and a few hundred cal more if I want to lose weight? My exercise was close to zero before, so some website suggested that 10,000 steps, done vigorously, equals 500cal. So thats the 1000cal hopefully reached.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

No doubt he's on Kaymer in Abu Dhabi this week.
                    So he's still in a world of trouble then?

Comment

@HH

Solks is correct. High intensity exercise great for burning cals and continue burning at a higher rate for hours afterwards.
                      Any activity is good though, sometimes its handy just to go for a long walk and not think.about it too much. Try and incorporate some hills though.

Build muscle - as it burns more cals per pound than fat.
                      Ditch the weighing scales when building muscle though.(you will look better but still weigh the same as you gain in muscle and lose fat)

Its 90% how much and what you eat of course.
                      There have been studies done that indicate the body is always trying to get back to its heaviest weight so not as simple as "easy to put on so easy to lose"

GP - "so hows your excercise plan going"
                      HH- "Grand, I get most of my excercise walking while smoking"
                      GP - throws hands in air, surrenders medical licence and goes to live on an island somewhere

Comment

Thanks! Is it as simple as - if I was taking 1000cal extra a day, then I need to both cut that 1000cal and a few hundred cal more if I want to lose weight? My exercise was close to zero before, so some website suggested that 10,000 steps, done vigorously, equals 500cal. So thats the 1000cal hopefully reached.
                        Burn 500cals more than you eat daily and you lose 1lb a week. That’s probably the target to aim for for.

Are the steps “10k extra” or 10k total measured via watch/phone. If extra then yeah, it’s be 500. But if total, you’d have to discount the 5000 or so steps you were probably picking up without trying.

If you were eating 1000 extra, should prob try cut it back to zero. Then use the steps for loss/exercise.

Comment

Charles Byrne lives up the the 'canny operator' moniker
                          I'd imagine he'll get a good chunk off the ban after the appeal
                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                            @HH
                            Solks is correct. High intensity exercise great for burning cals and continue burning at a higher rate for hours afterwards.
                            5km fast walking isn’t high intensity.
                            And would probably burn less than 10km steps depending on stride length.
                            When walking/running it pretty much comes down to distance.
                            Build muscle - as it burns more cals per pound than fat.
                            Ditch the weighing scales when building muscle though.(you will look better but still weigh the same as you gain in muscle and lose fat)
                            The extra energy it burns is not that significant. Maybe 20 cals a day per kilo.
                            And that kilo will need thousands of extra calories in the first place.
                            it’s possible to b

Comment

For the first time in my hitherto charmed existence I am faced with having to go on a mini-diet. Need to lose about 5 kilo to be ready for the beaches from St Tropez to Tramore.

Since about August I've added a whopping 14 kilos. Technically I'm not yet overweight, as before I was at the bottom of the healthy weight range and now I'm at the top. But the trend is clearly not my friend. The two main problems - I used to mainly get my exercise from walking while smoking, now sadly gone, and as a result of stopping smoking I appear to have started gorging myself on sugar.

My thinking is - easily gained, easily enough lost. I've now started doing 10k steps a day, including a few km jog. And have cut out about 500 calories per day that I was previously eating. Is that approximately it in terms of things that need to be done? Don't want to get into crap like meal planning etc.
                              Keep walking, start counting distance as well...just as a guide, do over an hour for as many walks as you can as an hour of constant movement triggers some good shit in your brain

Don't stress to much when exercising as cortisol ain't good for weight loss

Weight is more hormones than calories...that much weight and sugar, you must have done something to your insulin sensitivity

Start cutting out sugar...all sugar...that includes fruit
                              Full fat yogurt with berries is a good transition if you need it

Fruit is fructose...goes straight to the liver

Cut carbs if you can as carbs are just sugars

You will feel like shit for a few days especially if you have been piling it in

Read about sugar and hormones to check out the above for yourself!

Someone is gonna argue with the above and go on about counting calories food pyramid etc etc but

a. The above is gonna do you good anyhu and at worse remove the excess sugar you have added...which are calories anyhu

b. Who exactly has done well out of 50 years of diet industry, food pyramid, low fat ice cream, diet coke shite apart from the diet industry
                              Last edited by Guest; 19-01-21, 13:36.

Comment

Mellor
                                I was referring to the 3 x15 speed work that Solks was recommending. High intensity workout> than fast walking > casual walking

Interesting on muscle burning cals - thought it was more
                                but definitely good to incorporate into any routine.

Obviously its nearly all down to what you eat so the simplest advice is eat less but a good excercise programme is a great motivator and does wonders for physical and mental health.

Actually need to get out myself.
                                Have been glued to the bed for 2 weeks. Last proper excercise was a 5k on Chtustmas day.
                                Last edited by dinekes; 19-01-21, 13:41.

Comment

I would argue against high intensity running if weight loss is the goal.

For a couple of reasons. First it tends to be anaerobic, which means among other things you're mostly burning your last meal as fuel. You're not tapping into fat reserves.

Second it requires significant recovery time to avoid injury meaning you could not safely do it more than twice a week.

Low heart rate low intensity aerobic running is a far better option.

Especially early morning on an empty stomach.

Fat reserves are utilised for fuel and you can do it every day if you wish with minimal recovery.

There's a reason sprinters are beefy and marathon runners are whippets.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Is Energy trading your field? I think Hitch might have asked you before about your background in Economics.

I know a couple of people who went into Energy Trading, it seems like pretty interesting stuff.
                                    GARP have a professional cert in it which I'm told is tough going.
                                    I spend a bit of time on the renewables side, helping semi-states and smaller firms raise capital. Usually required a deeper than expected understanding of the operations of the companies as those investors were fiercely demanding.

Comment

5km fast walking isn’t high intensity.
                                      And would probably burn less than 10km steps depending on stride length.
                                      When walking/running it pretty much comes down to distance.

The extra energy it burns is not that significant. Maybe 20 cals a day per kilo.
                                      And that kilo will need thousands of extra calories in the first place.
                                      it’s possible to b
                                      Wrong mellor . High intensity walking is much better for you than you than 10 steps. Are you saying because you are not running that walking cant be high intensity? Maybe not for you but it's been recommended that people concentrate on intensity rather than distance for walking Apart from the obvious cardio benefits , its highly more achievable than the time needed to do a 10k walk every day. Look at the rotund golfers who walk 30k steps a day . I'm surprised an enlightened fitness guy like yourself believes differently .

Comment

Good News Hitch

In what is probably the definitive word on how little exercise we can get away with, a new study finds that a mere four seconds of intense intervals, repeated until they amount to about a minute of total exertion, lead to rapid and meaningful improvements in strength, fitness and general physical performance among middle-aged and older adults.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've been working remotely fulltime since March. I don't envisage ever going back to the office.
                                          Is there anything stopping me working remotely, from say South Africa or someplace like that (better weather basically), for a month or two during the winter?
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            I've been working remotely fulltime since March. I don't envisage ever going back to the office.
                                            Is there anything stopping me working remotely, from say South Africa or someplace like that (better weather basically), for a month or two during the winter?
                                            Sounds like a dream. Especially given time zones. There or Portugal.

Comment

There's some tax implications to it afaik though not necessarily likely to come up if you were just doing a couple of months. No idea what those implications are though

Comment

On the weight loss stuff, I knocked off a good bit of weight for my now postponed wedding by a combo of hiit sessions and cutting out bread and pasta. Fair bit of cycling too. Was 2 stone lighter than what I started the year at the week i was supposed to get married. Put back on a few pounds over xmas but fully expect to get below my lowest by the new date. Early April which I'm not optimistic about but am in need of losing weight in general so keeping that as a target,

Comment

Doesn't seem like long enough to have any implications, you just have to check the tax law for a place. A friend of mine was remote before the pandemic and she has worked all over the world without any issue. She'd often be like., oh I want to go to Asia for a month to train with a specific martial arts teachers and stuff like that, pretty sweet.

Comment

So Hitch, confused enough already!

Ether booming again btw ...sorry...couldn't help myself

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                      Hitchhiker's Guide To... are there any desktop/browser programs where you can read a paper and highlight it and it get saved for later reivew. Like in the good old days you'd spend a day printing a tree for €3 in the library and use a highlighter to mark it up to your liking. Presumably such a thing exists for chrome?
                                                      Curated guides to the best of the web

Pocket is probably what youre after, drag and drop highlights to Evernote if required

Comment

In what is probably the definitive word on how little exercise we can get away with, a new study finds that a mere four seconds of intense intervals, repeated until they amount to about a minute of total exertion, lead to rapid and meaningful improvements in strength, fitness and general physical performance among middle-aged and older adults.

Jaysus, surely he cant be expected to have sex 15 times a day!!

Comment

thats cool - be a help. Doesn't look like I can highlight a block of text within a paper though? Or do I need premium?
                                                          Perhaps try Firefox if that suits? That’s where I have it and you can highlight without premium.

Just add the article to”My List” click through to the article and highlight as you normally would.

You can see highlights under Filters

Comment

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... are there any desktop/browser programs where you can read a paper and highlight it and it get saved for later reivew. Like in the good old days you'd spend a day printing a tree for €3 in the library and use a highlighter to mark it up to your liking. Presumably such a thing exists for chrome?
                                                              Mendeley is a popular one for within browsers and it has a little browser button for saving good articles to your library.

Comment

Bought a house. Pot committed to life here now.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Who are they with? ER? I think it's a really interesting market. I think there's some big efficiencies that the more nibble players can take advantage of.

​​​​​I had a few roles in it fall through last year. Actually, the first time I looked at getting into it a few years ago, the company that posted the job promptly went busto. Maybe I'm just not destined for it
                                                                  electoRoute? Yes some very smart people in there, never worked directly with them but have heard the place held in high regard by anyone I’ve dealt with.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Yeah the ERP https://www.garp.org/#!/erp

I came across it because I was considering the FRM but my job didn’t really lend itself towards studying for it.

It seems really interesting, I always thought things like weather futures were just a cool field
                                                                  I haven’t come across that before, so I wouldn’t be able to give you a steer. Looks v interesting.

it's a complete non issue in my opinion
                                                                  They gave 120 unplanned doses that day, probably firemen, cleaners, janitors, porters, nurse etc. They'd 16 left over, 9 of those went to over 70s.,
                                                                  2 of the others were the master's kids, who are medical staff at the hospital.
                                                                  They called HSE for advice (with no response) as to what to do and needed to use the vials.
                                                                  It was 100% a "who is handy and close" decision before they had to bin them.
                                                                  Seems fair enough so.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                  This insufferable do gooder from my last job changed her title about 6 months ago on linked in to CAO (Chief Administration Officer), which is a dumb title anyway, but I would assume is a C-Suite level title. She is actually relatively senior which makes it all the more confusing.

All these new CXX titles around the place. You have to laugh.

Anyway, the megabank she works for handed out their yearly promotions last week. You know the kind where nothing really changes but maybe 2% uplift and another bs title change from AVP to VP or whatever other nonsense title they can think of to keep their peons happy.

So she got a promotion in this round, her title now reads, Executive Director, CAO, Megabank.

I think I'd be embarrassed but hey, different strokes.
                                                                  The best title I’ve heard ever heard was “Global Head of Asia” for a large bank. Like ffs...

Im not across the economics of BTC mining and surplus power. I was just pointing that “lol Chinese coal” wasn’t accurate. As I knew that Sichuan was mainly hydro and mining most of the BTC.

Wouldn’t pumping up and dropping at peak be hydro storage? They were listed separately in the link I posted. I think the largest generators are the gravity dams in flood prone areas. Obviously there’s a degree of control. But if the dam was 100% full, wouldn’t overflow be essentially surplus potentially energy that could be used?

For example Three Gorge dam is currently has the gates wide open dumping the max constantly to prevent a breach. I don’t think that have the option of stopping for off-peak drop in demand. Which is what I think HJ was getting at. But I’m assuming, I don’t know.
                                                                  Fair points, pumped hydro uses time arbitrage, and stored uses peak maximisation. It’s actually useful for a grid operator like EirGrid to own a stored hydro as they can ensure stability to the grid, without someone profiteering from it. Smoothes pricing over time. EirGrid do that at the moment with the EWIC which connects the power grid in Ireland to the UK.

In your example the overflow wouldn’t be surplus energy unless it created more than total demand at the time, otherwise the hydro power should be displacing the conventional power. Sometimes though it’s actually helpful for the grid to have demand taken off to stop surges I.e. on a heavy wind load night with little demand the grid can become unstable so the operator will curtail the wind to stop it coming on to the grid. If a bitcoiner in scale could offer thus service they would actually get paid by the grid to take power!

Comment

Was thinking... Irish musicians should do very well out of Brexit

An awful lot of session musicians in England who travel all over Europe

There now gone so those jobs available and especially when English language involved, it should really open up to Irish musicians

+ They still (should) have full access to UK

Comment

My only advice is that you can’t outrun a bad diet. Manage intake first and foremost.

I found tracking running and walking on strava helpful as you could see the calorie burn for each activity and weight it against your lunch for calories and see how they compare. Eye opening.

I think much of the advice above it good, start with something like waking to get into the habit, you can do it every day and won’t get injured. If you want to do jogging or HIIT then start at no more than 2 per week for 4 weeks and see how your body reacts.

if you can get to the stage where a steady jog of 5km is comfortable and enjoyable then you’re golden.

Comment

Tax law. Depending where you go, you might be liable for local taxes depending how long you stay.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                          Bought a house. Pot committed to life here now.
                                                                          I assume you have gone big Texas-style and mean 'ranch'?

Comment

Seth Abramson summarises the Trump presidency.

You feel he's been waiting a while to write that one.

Comment

Re tax and living abroad. No one will really check where you are living unless you choose to announce it somewhere.

Comment

Someone and I can't remember who was asking about kimchi recently. Kimchi by Jaru is very very good indeed. Although seems like a modern interpretation of the classic and lacks some of the pungency. But it's great though.

Comment

Re tax and living abroad. No one will really check where you are living unless you choose to announce it somewhere.
                                                                                  I was kinda thinking it was as simple as that too. But maybe not?

Comment

MNCs certainly will. I know firsthand of dozens of people who now have tax issues (having moved home at pandemic onset and continued to be paid by an Irish entity. Rife in Technology as you might imagine.). The issue lying on the employer side mainly.

Comment

To the question of ranking Trump in the pantheon of worst US Presidents, The Atlantic has had a go. Worth 10 minutes of your time.

Comment

Tks for asking Willie. Moved icu to high dependancy 5.00 am today. In truth no better but no worse. Just seem to hit the run bad on this one. Lungs gunk with the pneumonia and just not responding atm. I'm in good shape though and head is in good place. 20 days on the cot now. Take no chances on it lads, I was extra careful as was main contact for folks. Who thank fuck didn't catch it.

Comment

Going in the right direction nicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                            Tks for asking Willie. Moved icu to high dependancy 5.00 am today. In truth no better but no worse. Just seem to hit the run bad on this one. Lungs gunk with the pneumonia and just not responding atm. I'm in good shape though and head is in good place. 20 days on the cot now. Take no chances on it lads, I was extra careful as was main contact for folks. Who thank fuck didn't catch it.
                                                                                            Get better soon

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                              Good stuff . Not a great feeling watching some rapscallion with tubes up his nose . Fingers crossed on a full recovery then shave the fr Christmas beard off

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                Garth Brooks is playing at old man Biden's inauguration
                                                                                                The New Radicals have reunited after 22 years for this as well

Got his finger in the pulse has old man Biden​​​​​...

Has anyone told him about Elvis yet?​​​​​​

Comment

Does it count when a band is really just one person?

Comment

Wireless headphones ~€200

Was told Bose QC 35 or Sony XM3.

That about right or should I be looking anywhere else?

Comment

Jesus Nicky.

Get very well very soon man.

Comment

Someone and I can't remember who was asking about kimchi recently. Kimchi by Jaru is very very good indeed. Although seems like a modern interpretation of the classic and lacks some of the pungency. But it's great though.

https://www.jaru.ie/kimchiandbanchan
                                                                                                        That was me. Yeah this is class. Was buying small jars in Supervalu but see that have it in bulk in their place in Nutgrove. I'll get a batch. Eating it with everything.

Comment

Plans abandoned to reopen schools for children with special educational needs on Thursday. Unions not playing ball
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I assume you have gone big Texas-style and mean 'ranch'?
                                                                                                            Nope, just a standard 3 bed house. This ranch did pique my interest but not sold on the house colour.

Rough Creek Ranch2600+/- AcresMills County bordering San Saba County, TexasProperty Overview: This impressive and diverse 2601.23 acre ranch has 2+ miles

Comment

Ya I should have put " " around reunited

Sorta two members weren't they...sorta

Always hated that song and Ive just about gotten over showing up fucked to a musical festival in The Netherlands late 90's to walk around a corner and be confronted by 100's of people walking towards us all wearing New Radicals hats

Freaky as fuck and the first few people we asked WTF was going on either didn't speak English or couldn't understand the mangled shit coming out of us

People at the other gate handing them out apparently... fuck that "band"

Comment

EDIT: actually never mind
                                                                                                                Last edited by Keane; 19-01-21, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                  Was thinking... Irish musicians should do very well out of Brexit

An awful lot of session musicians in England who travel all over Europe

There now gone so those jobs available and especially when English language involved, it should really open up to Irish musicians

+ They still (should) have full access to UK
                                                                                                                  Interested to see how it affects young Irish talent. I hear the young Rovers lad Zefi is off to Inter Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Interested to see how it affects young Irish talent. I hear the young Rovers lad Zefi is off to Inter Milan.
                                                                                                                    Looks like there is a good bunch of young fellas at a couple of clubs at the minute... shame the FAI are such a joke!

Hope it works out for him!

Links to English clubs or Celtic for LOI clubs is gonna happen anyway

Dixie Deans Granddaughter (and her fella who writes for the Echo) was involved in getting this off the ground

Tbh I always thought a lot of LOI lads would be better off in European leagues than lower league England anyway
                                                                                                                    The lads here who would suit lower league football are all playing GAA or Rugby
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 19-01-21, 22:43.

Comment

I thought the Joe Exotic pardon was just a twitter joke. It's actually being mooted.

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I was kinda thinking it was as simple as that too. But maybe not?
                                                                                                                        this is a problem in transition - and it will end PAYE for a lot of people IMO. Why would you live abroad and pretend you are in Ireland and pay Irish tax which is upper end of the scale worldwide. I'm looking forward to having my tax return figure that out and pay tax where due etc. Companies will slowly come around to that

Comment

Max Tegmark is the most recent guest on the Lex Friedman podcast Opr & SP shared, he has a new site for filtering news using political & establishment bias sliders.

Not the nicest UI so probably not going to use it frequently but interesting to mess around with: https://www.improvethenews.org

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X