• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we could all write a sentence and see where this thing goes
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
      Sisters horse Keep The Peace runs today in 3.45 Punchardstown
      trainer said he’s going well, tricky handicap but hoping to run into a place
      drifting a bit at the moment but some bookies paying 4 places so 16/1 looks okay
      PP 5 places, SkyBet 6 places

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        The above is from that period and some charity auction my auld lad went to where he picked up this - Ian Botham, Alex Higgins and AN Other.

Seeing as we are in time-travelling detective mode today, anyone got any ideas who the third might be?
        the bottom signature?
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

the bottom signature?
          No, I think GL4ME is correct and it's two signatures with 'Best Wishes' being the mystery third man .

A bit of internet research reveals Higgins to be the middle scrawl and Botham the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

The competitiveness of hydro is all based on the arbitrage between daily prices, so having a constant demand from mining actually diminishes its economics too. It’s basically using power to pump it up when prices are low and dropping it at peak times. If the base loading or min load is higher because of constant mining the absolute cost of hydro would grow quite quickly.
            Is Energy trading your field? I think Hitch might have asked you before about your background in Economics.

I know a couple of people who went into Energy Trading, it seems like pretty interesting stuff.
            GARP have a professional cert in it which I'm told is tough going.

Comment

Back to the bravery (possibly bordering on insanity) of Navalny.

For his 'legal' sham appearance after being arrested, they paraded him in front of this background. The dude circled in the picture is Yagoda, mass murder of millions during Stalin's time. Some message to send to anyone going through that system. (For context, it would be like putting up a picture of Himmler in a German court).

EsAktQ4XUAIqy0O.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Back to the bravery (possibly bordering on insanity) of Navalny.

For his 'legal' sham appearance after being arrested, they paraded him in front of this background. The dude circled in the picture is Yagoda, mass murder of millions during Stalin's time. Some message to send to anyone going through that system. (For context, it would be like putting up a picture of Himmler in a German court).

EsAktQ4XUAIqy0O.jpg
                I don't get his methods at all.
                Surely the timing for a glorious return from exile is when Joe is in power, not when there is enough time to fall into an oil drum in an unforunate accident
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I don't get his methods at all.
                  Surely the timing for a glorious return from exile is when Joe is in power, not when there is enough time to fall into an oil drum in an unforunate accident
                  I don't think caution is in his vocabulary. It's just incredibly brave what he's doing - how many of us could honestly say we would do the same? I certainly couldn't

Comment

It'll be very interesting to see how the Biden administration engages with Russia, especially in the context of (a) Navalny and (b), the recent mega-hack by Russia.

Comment

Some 'Republican Strategic Consultant' just being interviewed on Sky News.
                      Had 3 books visible on his bookcase - EuroTragedy by Ashoka Mody, then a John Cleese autobiography and finally the original Super System by Doyle Brunson.
                      Curious choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                        Some 'Republican Strategic Consultant' just being interviewed on Sky News.
                        Had 3 books visible on his bookcase - EuroTragedy by Ashoka Mody, then a John Cleese autobiography and finally the original Super System by Doyle Brunson.
                        Curious choices.
                        I suppose the thinking is that if he puts "Kill Everyone" on display people might get the wrong impression

Comment

I don't think caution is in his vocabulary. It's just incredibly brave what he's doing - how many of us could honestly say we would do the same? I certainly couldn't
                          Very few real heros left . They are made of different stuff . Stands to figure he is Russian and the near death pain he suffered seems to have strengthened his resolve . He is simply not afraid . My idea of bravery was walking across a rigidity rope bridge in the wind with waves rocks below . He is a different species.

Comment

Navalny chucked in jail for 30 days. Why? 'Because we can' basically.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                              Sisters horse Keep The Peace runs today in 3.45 Punchardstown
                              trainer said he’s going well, tricky handicap but hoping to run into a place
                              drifting a bit at the moment but some bookies paying 4 places so 16/1 looks okay
                              I'm hoping for an improved outing from Flying Crystal in that race

Tote Swinger maybe

Comment

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day everybody.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                  all US holidays are happy for me

but yes, I appreciate the sentiment

Comment

It's Robert E Lee Day in Alabama!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      and this..

Or this

Comment

It's Robert E Lee Day in Alabama!
                                        TBF, it is the third Monday of January that it happens on. Still....

Comment

I wish he'd have tried it on too

Comment

Comment

Although for the week that's in it, this might be more appropriate...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I wish he'd have tried it on too
                                                I doubt MLK would have been big on NIKE running sweat shops and pumping out overpriced poor quality crap targeted at poor black kids

Might have liked some of their adverts though

Comment

For the day that's in it:

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Is Energy trading your field? I think Hitch might have asked you before about your background in Economics.

I know a couple of people who went into Energy Trading, it seems like pretty interesting stuff.
                                                    GARP have a professional cert in it which I'm told is tough going.
                                                    Who are they with? ER? I think it's a really interesting market. I think there's some big efficiencies that the more nibble players can take advantage of.

​​​​​I had a few roles in it fall through last year. Actually, the first time I looked at getting into it a few years ago, the company that posted the job promptly went busto. Maybe I'm just not destined for it

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Who are they with? ER? I think it's a really interesting market. I think there's some big efficiencies that the more nibble players can take advantage of.

​​​​​I had a few roles in it fall through last year. Actually, the first time I looked at getting into it a few years ago, the company that posted the job promptly went busto. Maybe I'm just not destined for it
                                                      Yeah the ERP https://www.garp.org/#!/erp

I came across it because I was considering the FRM but my job didn’t really lend itself towards studying for it.

It seems really interesting, I always thought things like weather futures were just a cool field

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman
                                                        Just reading about this today. Disgusting nepotism considering a potentially life saving vaccination is at stake. Anyone believing that these doses, were somehow leftover, and that these family members just happened to be hanging around the vaccination site, should contact me about an investment opportunity involving a bridge. Must be galling for unvaccinated staff or people with unvaccinated, vulnerable, family members to be reading this.

The only way it’s acceptable is if every staff member on site and all patients were done by that stage.
                                                        it's a complete non issue in my opinion
                                                        They gave 120 unplanned doses that day, probably firemen, cleaners, janitors, porters, nurse etc. They'd 16 left over, 9 of those went to over 70s.,
                                                        2 of the others were the master's kids, who are medical staff at the hospital.
                                                        They called HSE for advice (with no response) as to what to do and needed to use the vials.
                                                        It was 100% a "who is handy and close" decision before they had to bin them.
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

it's a complete non issue in my opinion
                                                          They gave 120 unplanned doses that day, probably firemen, cleaners, janitors, porters, nurse etc. They'd 16 left over, 9 of those went to over 70s.,
                                                          2 of the others were the master's kids, who are medical staff at the hospital.
                                                          They called HSE for advice (with no response) as to what to do and needed to use the vials.
                                                          It was 100% a "who is handy and close" decision before they had to bin them.
                                                          Yeah, and all that money was just resting in John Delaney's account.

One of the children is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in The Masters private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker. More nepotism there too. Amazing they were "handy and close". Would have 100 other groups on my list before I got to the Masters children. Couldn't, for example, go around and give the extra doses to expectant mothers or fathers, who were in the hospital at the time?

Comment

As a general rule you try not to inject pregnant women with untested vaccines.

And as DP said, they did find loads of people.
                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Yeah, and all that money was just resting in John Delaney's account.

One of the children is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in The Masters private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker. More nepotism there too. Amazing they were "handy and close". Would have 100 other groups on my list before I got to the Masters children. Couldn't, for example, go around and give the extra doses to expectant mothers or fathers, who were in the hospital at the time?
                                                              And how do you assign 16 doses among all the expectant mothers (not a great idea btw) and fathers and do it within the timeframe necessary?
                                                              It's a complete cod and indicitive of the clamour to be righteously angry about fucking something all the time.

Use some of the creative thinking needed to create a scenario where they plan to have all these extra doses for nepotism (after dishing out more than 100 other unplanned doses) in the midst of a tightly controlled national vaccine rollout and instead take some cognizance of the variables and factors at play..

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Comment

This insufferable do gooder from my last job changed her title about 6 months ago on linked in to CAO (Chief Administration Officer), which is a dumb title anyway, but I would assume is a C-Suite level title. She is actually relatively senior which makes it all the more confusing.

All these new CXX titles around the place. You have to laugh.

Anyway, the megabank she works for handed out their yearly promotions last week. You know the kind where nothing really changes but maybe 2% uplift and another bs title change from AVP to VP or whatever other nonsense title they can think of to keep their peons happy.

So she got a promotion in this round, her title now reads, Executive Director, CAO, Megabank.

I think I'd be embarrassed but hey, different strokes.
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                    This insufferable do gooder from my last job changed her title about 6 months ago on linked in to CAO (Chief Administration Officer), which is a dumb title anyway, but I would assume is a C-Suite level title. She is actually relatively senior which makes it all the more confusing.

Anyway, the megabank she works for handed out their yearly promotions last week. You know the kind where nothing really changes but maybe 2% uplift and another bs title change from AVP to VP or whatever other nonsense title they can think of to keep their peons happy.

So she got a promotion in this round, her title now reads, Executive Director, CAO, Megabank.

If I saw Chief Administration Officer anywhere, I'd view it as a fancy way of saying an office manager who is in charge of ordering the stationary and the likes, I would never think of it as C suite role.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

also, i am starting to realise that so much marketing is done so poorly as no fucking academic journal wants to makes itself readily available to students.
                                                                      ahem https://sci-hub.se/

Paste the doi number of the article in there and ... voila. I don't use university libraries anymore as its far too inconvenient compared to sci-hub.

Comment

Also if you type Cork into the library box on google scholar here: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_s...n&as_sdt=0,5#2 then google will find the premium version of the article for you from the uni library. Uni librarians simply can't accept that Google has done something better than they could ever dream of doing so normally refuse to mention it.

But sci-hub is handier still as it has literally everything, while Irish universities only have 'most things'.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                          If I saw Chief Administration Officer anywhere, I'd view it as a fancy way of saying an office manager who is in charge of ordering the stationary and the likes, I would never think of it as C suite role.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                                                                          If it's the bank I'm thinking of, she'd probably be on 300k as an Exec Director in NAM.

Comment

Have a look at the HSE advice around the COVID-19 vaccine and pregnancy and then get back to us.

The idea that it was a binary decision between the kids or the bin is hilarious. That people are buying into that idea even more so.

Comment

Have a look at the HSE advice around the COVID-19 vaccine and pregnancy and then get back to us.

The idea that it was a binary decision between the kids or the bin is hilarious. That people are buying into that idea even more so.
                                                                              Similar stories from the place in the Phoenix Park at the weekend. People told to turn up, then told to go away as they didn't have enough doses. Then rung to come back again and randomers getting the last few doses.

Reality is this has never been done before, especially under pandemic conditions. Teething pains are inevitable.

Comment

the vaccine story is the greatest non story of recent times.
                                                                                Hardly a non story if every newspaper in the country is running with it. Why none have gone with 'Jabs for the Boys', as a headline, I'll never know.

Comment

Hardly a non story if every newspaper in the country is running with it. Why none have gone with 'Jabs for the Boys', as a headline, I'll never know.
                                                                                  Jabs for the boys is class

Some hysterical and desperate coverage on RTE today. Presenters wetting themselves in shrill indignation to professional who just yeah grand, better than throwing it out and there is a new stsrem in place since they figured out they can get an extra 1.5 jabs per vial.
                                                                                  RTE radio's evening news programme has gone to shite completely since whoever the pair of third rate amateurs they have doing it now came in.

Comment

Some hysterical and desperate coverage on RTE today. Presenters wetting themselves in shrill indignation to professional who just yeah grand, better than throwing it out and there is a new stsrem in place since they figured out they can get an extra 1.5 jabs per vial.
                                                                                    RTE radio's evening news programme has gone to shite completely since whoever the pair of third rate amateurs they have doing it now came in.
                                                                                    Rte missed a trick. Needed Teresa Mannion reporting on it for added dwama.

Comment

Any idea who the two lads with Beefy in this pic are?

I'm still stumped -pardon the pun

Comment

Similar stories from the place in the Phoenix Park at the weekend. People told to turn up, then told to go away as they didn't have enough doses. Then rung to come back again and randomers getting the last few doses.

Reality is this has never been done before, especially under pandemic conditions. Teething pains are inevitable.
                                                                                        The cries of wastage came up last week or the week before here in Alberta. Shockingly doctors and nurses where not just throwing doses away and it was to do with the fact that every vial is not equal and that there is also some wastage when extracting a dose. So you get some vials that provide 6 doses and only 5 from others with waste left over. They likely took the cautious approach and decided they may not get everyone that where called that day and sent them home to come back another day but as the day progressed they realised they have more 6 dose vials than previously thought and called them back.

Comment

Hysterical gets the clicks.
                                                                                          Nuance isn't entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

The cries of wastage came up last week or the week before here in Alberta. Shockingly doctors and nurses where not just throwing doses away and it was to do with the fact that every vial is not equal and that there is also some wastage when extracting a dose. So you get some vials that provide 6 doses and only 5 from others with waste left over. They likely took the cautious approach and decided they may not get everyone that where called that day and sent them home to come back another day but as the day progressed they realised they have more 6 dose vials than previously thought and called them back.
                                                                                            the much vaunted Israel vaccination rates are based on helped by the fact they do a first come first served on the leftovers each day.
                                                                                            I don't particularly think it's the best idea to have that process here, but it'd be interesting to hear how the serial complainers find a way to trash it if we adopted it
                                                                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 18-01-21, 23:09. Reason: I'm a grumpy fucker tonight...

Comment

Sam mcconkey has a good jacket game
                                                                                              anyon got a link to a shop his look article?

Comment

Important not to lose sight of the fact that the Coombe apparently vaccinated 1,236 people in a day. IDGAF who they are when it comes to COVID-19 vaccines I just love big numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  Important not to lose sight of the fact that the Coombe apparently vaccinated 1,236 people in a day. IDGAF who they are when it comes to COVID-19 vaccines I just love big numbers.
                                                                                                  Let's say 4 million vaccinated
                                                                                                  25 centres running like that countrywide doesn't seem unreasonable?
                                                                                                  Roughly 4 months and we are done.
                                                                                                  I wonder if second dose methodology will remain for all vaccines, that'd skew figures.

Above based on supply and steady rates obv.

Comment

If you could convert all the doses complaining about the coombe into vaccine doses we would have herd immunity next week

Comment

Really shit news seeing this on Twitter. Simon was a really lovely guy whenever I had the pleasure of playing with him around Dublin. I’m sure loads on here must have known him. Summed up better by Padraic, Larry and Chris on Twitter but so sorry for his family and all those close to him. RIP Simon.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

My role from 2 jobs ago was effectively Risk Analyst but "Strategy" was smuggled in there to accompany that which is a little flowery but fair enough.

The people that be felt Risk/Data analyst was being commandeered by too many roles and was no longer representative of their skills.

They felt it was closer to Data Scientist which it 100% was not and if it was I'm not getting paid enough.

When the actual Data Scientists heard this, they were appalled and kicked up a fuss as it would diminish their title.

In order to help distinguish the groups the Risk Analysts landed on Decision Scientist as a compromise which is one of the more made up titles I've heard.

Great use of resources.

Comment

The competitiveness of hydro is all based on the arbitrage between daily prices, so having a constant demand from mining actually diminishes its economics too. It’s basically using power to pump it up when prices are low and dropping it at peak times. If the base loading or min load is higher because of constant mining the absolute cost of hydro would grow quite quickly.
                                                                                                            Im not across the economics of BTC mining and surplus power. I was just pointing that “lol Chinese coal” wasn’t accurate. As I knew that Sichuan was mainly hydro and mining most of the BTC.

Wouldn’t pumping up and dropping at peak be hydro storage? They were listed separately in the link I posted. I think the largest generators are the gravity dams in flood prone areas. Obviously there’s a degree of control. But if the dam was 100% full, wouldn’t overflow be essentially surplus potentially energy that could be used?

For example Three Gorge dam is currently has the gates wide open dumping the max constantly to prevent a breach. I don’t think that have the option of stopping for off-peak drop in demand. Which is what I think HJ was getting at. But I’m assuming, I don’t know.

Comment

the much vaunted Israel vaccination rates are based on helped by the fact they do a first come first served on the leftovers each day.
                                                                                                              I don't particularly think it's the best idea to have that process here, but it'd be interesting to hear how the serial complainers find a way to trash it if we adopted it
                                                                                                              They are doing that in the uk too. For people who are in the second set of people planned they can call the centres towards the end of the day and if there will be spares they can go in.

It’s not an official policy afaik but a common sense thing that happened organically.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

They are doing that in the uk too. For people who are in the second set of people planned they can call the centres towards the end of the day and if there will be spares they can go in.

It’s not an official policy afaik but a common sense thing that happened organically.
                                                                                                                I worry about the scenario where you have crowds of people jostling for front of the line in an evironment such as this.
                                                                                                                I am probably being hyperbolic though.

Comment

Garth Brooks is playing at old man Biden's inauguration
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Garth Brooks is playing at old man Biden's inauguration
                                                                                                                    Terrible idea. What if he sings .

I've got friends in low places ?

Comment

For the first time in my hitherto charmed existence I am faced with having to go on a mini-diet. Need to lose about 5 kilo to be ready for the beaches from St Tropez to Tramore.

Since about August I've added a whopping 14 kilos. Technically I'm not yet overweight, as before I was at the bottom of the healthy weight range and now I'm at the top. But the trend is clearly not my friend. The two main problems - I used to mainly get my exercise from walking while smoking, now sadly gone, and as a result of stopping smoking I appear to have started gorging myself on sugar.

My thinking is - easily gained, easily enough lost. I've now started doing 10k steps a day, including a few km jog. And have cut out about 500 calories per day that I was previously eating. Is that approximately it in terms of things that need to be done? Don't want to get into crap like meal planning etc.

Comment

Any news on Nicnic?

Comment

Since about August I've added a whopping 14 kilos.
                                                                                                                          ...

My thinking is - easily gained, easily enough lost. I've now started doing 10k steps a day, including a few km jog. And have cut out about 500 calories per day that I was previously eating. Is that approximately it in terms of things that need to be done? Don't want to get into crap like meal planning etc.
                                                                                                                          14kg since August is 900g per week. Which is about 1000cal a day surplus on average (1lb = 500cal/d).
                                                                                                                          So 500cal cut out everyday is half the battle.
                                                                                                                          The relative impact of 10k steps depends on what you’ve been averaging since august. 10k is the high end of normal. To knock another 500cal a day of activity, you probably have to add some exercise a few times a week.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X