This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible footage..

Luke Mogelson followed Trump supporters as they forced their way into the Senate chamber, using his phone’s camera as a reporter’s notebook.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      That prick with the horns and buffalo pelt or whatever is some fucking showpony

Comment

Incredible footage of a group of idiots. No more intelligent than alll those types who jump on any opportunity to cause trouble. Lets brick the PSNI, lets loot these shops, lets rip up a Lidl coz its snowing etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Nice story too about the (only) England fan at the game. He's only had to wait 10 months for the game.
          Know him in real life, good guy, completely on-brand to end up in that situation

Comment

That is amazing. Its strange how calm everything is in Congress.

Comment

Any idea who the two lads with Beefy in this pic are?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That is amazing. Its strange how calm everything is in Congress.
                The guy sitting on the floor chatting to his father on the phone. A plastic bullet lodged in his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

No clue but Beefy looks very similar to Ralph Fiennes in that pic

Comment

Standing up has the look of Stuart Maconie maybe? (6 Music, journalist, broadcaster, NME and a billion others).

Pretty sure he's a cricket fan and could easily have been covering cricket or some other Botham gig for one of his many beats over the years.

Comment

Jesus, Navalny's bravery is incredible. Hopefully Biden's new administration puts the screws on Pugin and his gang of thugs.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Standing up has the look of Stuart Maconie maybe? (6 Music, journalist, broadcaster, NME and a billion others).

Pretty sure he's a cricket fan and could easily have been covering cricket or some other Botham gig for one of his many beats over the years.
                        Gosh, I thought of him but didn't make the cricket link!

Comment

Gotta love Sundays.

My Sunday routine for the last 8 weeks has been glorious.

up early, bring dog for a long walk.
                          come home. Dog sleeps. Cook brekkie. Get some of my contract work done.
                          watch football.
                          bring dog for a walk.
                          come home. Dog sleeps.
                          get rest of contract work done watching football.
                          Cook dinner.
                          stout, the couch and chill.
                          bed early.

Just excellent.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Gosh, I thought of him but didn't make the cricket link!
                            Not Maconie anyhu

Comment

Comment

LOL

Comment

I didn't realise you were an environmentalist now Denny. I thought you didn't believe in climate change? Also, that argument has been debunked several times already here, it's boring.

Comment

that argument has been debunked several times already here, it's boring.
                                    Has it? Saying you think something that you don't want to believe is untrue does not make it so.

Comment

The master of the Coombe at the centre of that nonsense was our consultant for the last two births. Delivered both of them.

Comment

Has it? Saying you think something that you don't want to believe is untrue does not make it so.
                                        Yep - a large portion of the electricity used is renewable and would be wasted otherwise. MIners gravitate to where electricity is cheapest, which tends to be beside hydroelectric damns.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Saw some Bitcoin pumper claim that this is a good thing yesterday as Bitcoin mining will use surplus renewable energy thus making new renewable energy projects more viable

HJ 1 post away from posting Stay poor boomers

Comment

5eupb0k2pf661.png

Comment

Biden going to cancel the Keystone XL pipeline project first day in office.

Heads just exploded in Alberta.

The schadenfreude is so strong.
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

That Ewan McKenna is some fucking donkey.

Comment

Cant argue lads...

Yep - a large portion of the electricity used is renewable and would be wasted otherwise. MIners gravitate to where electricity is cheapest, which tends to be beside hydroelectric damns.

Comment

I didn't realise you were an environmentalist now Denny. I thought you didn't believe in climate change? Also, that argument has been debunked several times already here, it's boring.
                                                    Where'd you get that idea? What % is renewable?

I more posting it for this or the one SP quoted.

Comment

I like this guy, he sounds like me therefore is obviously sagacious.

Comment

By whom? Nature magazine published a pretty robust article on the topic entitled "Bitcoin emissions alone could push global warming above 2°C".

The research was conducted by the Geography and Environment Department at the University of Hawaii. There have been arguments over it but I don't think it's right to say it has been "debunked".

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

If you find out please post. They both look so familiar .

Hale and Paces brothers ?

Guy bending over looks like a musician all right .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

If you find out please post. They both look so familiar .

Hale and Paces brothers ?

Guy bending over looks like a musician all right .
                                                              Guy on the right looks like an Aussie or a South African. Wonder were they on tour somewhere (see map) and heading off for a trip...

Identify the map, not the people!

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                This is a fascinating snippet from a recent Lex podcast. He talks about Oumuamua which is an object which passed through our Solar system a couple of years ago. Believed to be an interstellar object which would make it the first of its kind.

Alien spacecraft?

I listened to half of his 2nd interview with Max Tegmark this morning. I’ve probably listened to him 4 times across various podcasts.

I like how he lets the guest talk as I find quite a number of other hosts can take over conversations with their opinion.

My only “critique” and perhaps this is more of a me thing, I find that given the length of the podcasts, his more monotone sit back approach can make the topics a little less engaging at times.

Comment

I at first thought it might be Cornwall at bottom left and he might have been planning one of his epic charity walks

Comment

I at first thought it might be Cornwall at bottom left and he might have been planning one of his epic charity walks
                                                                    clearly Kerry\Cork though...so what was he up to

Comment

Looks a bit like Bill Beaumont on the right?

Comment

Guy on the right looks like an Aussie or a South African. Wonder were they on tour somewhere (see map) and heading off for a trip...

Identify the map, not the people!
                                                                        The map is of Ireland they were flying AerLingus, don't have the exact year but obv 80's

Comment

Not sure if this pic of them together solves it?

Possible but I don't think its Bill

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                          Looks a bit like Bill Beaumont on the right?
                                                                          a-question-of-sport.jpg

Comment

Sisters horse Keep The Peace runs today in 3.45 Punchardstown
                                                                            trainer said he’s going well, tricky handicap but hoping to run into a place
                                                                            drifting a bit at the moment but some bookies paying 4 places so 16/1 looks okay

Comment

LOL

Cheapest eletricity is Chinese coal.

The cheapest electricity in the world could be found in Iran in 2023, whereas the cost of residential electricity per kilowatt-hour was highest in Europe.

Comment

Not sure if this pic of them together solves it?

Possible but I don't think its Bill
                                                                                Bill is much bigger than that guy

Comment

The grid doesn’t work like that.

Firstly, you calculate demand on a per half second basis and match supply fully. You deduct the available variable (non-synchronous) power sources (I.e. wind and solar) and then calculated what’s needed from conventional load. There is a maximum that the non-synchronous power can supply to the grid, typically 30%, but some countries like Ireland and Norway have targeted 70%. (You need to be able to export at that time to do so otherwise the grid become unstable).

Any unit of renewable electricity that is used needs to be backed up and replaced by conventional (synchronous) sources that can be moved up and down, to keep the inertia in the system and also to account for sharp load changes.

Taking that all together, if you have something creating greater demand, renewable energy will not solve it, more base load power is needed as the renewable share is utilised, or more base load is fired up for backup supply.

Comment

LOL

The cheapest electricity in the world could be found in Iran in 2023, whereas the cost of residential electricity per kilowatt-hour was highest in Europe.

The cheapest electricity is onshore wind on a marginal basis as it’s zero fuel cost, what increases the price to users is the subsidies put in place to support renewable schemes like RES. The REFIT in Ireland is efficient as it costs more to consumers only when it brings the total cost to consumers down i.e. pays for itself (marginal basis).

Comment

The master of the Coombe at the centre of that nonsense was our consultant for the last two births. Delivered both of them.
                                                                                      Just reading about this today. Disgusting nepotism considering a potentially life saving vaccination is at stake. Anyone believing that these doses, were somehow leftover, and that these family members just happened to be hanging around the vaccination site, should contact me about an investment opportunity involving a bridge. Must be galling for unvaccinated staff or people with unvaccinated, vulnerable, family members to be reading this.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

LOL

Where does that distinguish between coal and hydro?

Hydro is a huge sector in part of China. I presume HJ is referring to Sichuan province which has a massive output of hydro energy and mines about 50% of Global Bitcoin.

Coal: 10,000 MW
                                                                                        Hydro: 90-100,000 MW

Source:

Cryptocurrency miners could increasingly be drawn to the Chinese province of Sichuan, potentially boosting trading demand for bitcoin from China, as the local government heeds a call by President Xi Jinping to step up blockchain and digital currency development.

Comment

No way it Bill B.
                                                                                          deffo certain I've seen the other guy on BBC4

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Just reading about this today. Disgusting nepotism considering a potentially life saving vaccination is at stake. Anyone believing that these doses, were somehow leftover, and that these family members just happened to be hanging around the vaccination site, should contact me about an investment opportunity involving a bridge. Must be galling for unvaccinated staff or people with unvaccinated, vulnerable, family members to be reading this.
                                                                                            The only way it’s acceptable is if every staff member on site and all patients were done by that stage.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say Botham is somewhere around 1979-82 in that photo

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

The cheapest electricity is onshore wind on a marginal basis as it’s zero fuel cost, what increases the price to users is the subsidies put in place to support renewable schemes like RES. The REFIT in Ireland is efficient as it costs more to consumers only when it brings the total cost to consumers down i.e. pays for itself (marginal basis).
                                                                                                Indeed, but the point at hand is that its a lot more profitable to mine in China or indeed in the Oil states where $ cost is lowest.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say Botham is somewhere around 1979-82 in that photo
                                                                                                  Ya... could be somerset players or just press lads on a tour.... could be some lad who asked for a picture on a plane (but they do look familiar)

My first guess was Chris Smith or some unknown Smith brother but no, don't think it is
                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 18-01-21, 11:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Hydro is a huge sector in part of China. I presume HJ is referring to Sichuan province which has a massive output of hydro energy and mines about 50% of Global Bitcoin.

Source:

Cryptocurrency miners could increasingly be drawn to the Chinese province of Sichuan, potentially boosting trading demand for bitcoin from China, as the local government heeds a call by President Xi Jinping to step up blockchain and digital currency development.

How do you close down the coal if all the BTC miners are maxing out demand?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Ya... could be somerset players or just press lads on a tour.... could be some lad who asked for a picture on a plane (but they do look familiar)

My first guess was Chris Smith or some unknown Smith brother but no, don't think it is
                                                                                                      I think he used to come over to Ireland quite a bit for fishing\golfing - would usually do some charity gig or similar to pay his way. Not that that helps identify the villains.

20210118_104326.jpg
                                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

The above is from that period and some charity auction my auld lad went to where he picked up this - Ian Botham, Alex Higgins and AN Other.

Seeing as we are in time-travelling detective mode today, anyone got any ideas who the third might be?

Comment

The above is from that period and some charity auction my auld lad went to where he picked up this - Ian Botham, Alex Higgins and AN Other.

Seeing as we are in time-travelling detective mode today, anyone got any ideas who the third might be?
                                                                                                          Best wishes

Comment

And, in even more curious fashion, if you open out the autographs from the frame and turn it around, you get this. Solve that mystery IPB sleuths! (definitely not a journey my father embarked on but what a random page for three famous, one identified, autographs to be on - especially when Sofia was still behind a curtain of iron).

20210118_121723a.jpg

Comment

Like who the fuck went to Sofia from London in those days, presumably just for a weekend too.

Edit: and bought their ticket through an Irish travel agency.

This has the makings of a book.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 18-01-21, 12:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Source:

The competitiveness of hydro is all based on the arbitrage between daily prices, so having a constant demand from mining actually diminishes its economics too. It’s basically using power to pump it up when prices are low and dropping it at peak times. If the base loading or min load is higher because of constant mining the absolute cost of hydro would grow quite quickly.

Comment

How do you close down the coal if all the BTC miners are maxing out demand?
                                                                                                                  Maxing out the hydro in the region? Not a chance that is happening.

100GW is a massive amount of power. Zero chance BTC is maxing that out. 50% is probably 3-4GW atm

Comment

Like who the fuck went to Sofia from London in those days, presumably just for a weekend too.

Edit: and bought their ticket through an Irish travel agency.

This has the makings of a book.
                                                                                                                    Somebody needs to fill the shoes of John LeCarre.

I think it might be a sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Somebody needs to fill the shoes of John LeCarre.

I think it might be a sign.
                                                                                                                      I need a pseudonym first.

Raoul Ducatti

Comment

This is the bar of the hotel our mystery man stayed at

hotel-marinela-sofia.jpg

Comment

So we have:
                                                                                                                          1. Ian Botham
                                                                                                                          2. Alex Higgins
                                                                                                                          3. A mysterious assignation behind the Iron Curtain
                                                                                                                          4. An Irish travel agency
                                                                                                                          5. A hotel tricked out like a Tokyo brothel
                                                                                                                          Has potential.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X