Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norway has the most free press in the world.

I looked at this and would conclude there is no 'there' there.

All points about not mindlessly swallowing what you're fed are valid. But a free press, grounded in journalistic ethics, is always going to be the best source of information possible.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fitness instructor who does 1 on 1 in Dublin 9 region?

Comment

Free from who, the 'their' sounds like some group of evil overlords, vaccine making gazzionairles rubbing their hands and plotting demise and DOOM! of course not, it's with all this stuff a really subtle thing, call it economics or whatever, the system MAN, Yada yada yada. Let's take the free press as an example, generally accepted we have reached a tipping point where media now answers to hits, traffic and digestion, driving the content rather than necessarily truth per say, obv slightly hyperbolic to an extent but only to an extent. No evil overlords, arguably filthy AI taking away our choice of consumption without us even realizing it. A corrosion of journalist sacrecant that happened gradually and subtlety, for the most part under our noses. Of course can argue well we never really were choosing our 'digital' consumption, see print media etc but never with this relentless intelligence and volume.

Comment

Free from who, the 'their' sounds like some group of evil overlords, vaccine making gazzionairles rubbing their hands and plotting demise and DOOM! of course not, it's with all this stuff a really subtle thing, call it economics or whatever, the system MAN, Yada yada yada. Let's take the free press as an example, generally accepted we have reached a tipping point where media now answers to hits, traffic and digestion, driving the content rather than necessarily truth per say, obv slightly hyperbolic to an extent but only to an extent. No evil overlords, arguably filthy AI taking away our choice of consumption without us even realizing it. A corrosion of journalist sacrecant that happened gradually and subtlety, for the most part under our noses. Of course can argue well we never really were choosing our 'digital' consumption, see print media etc but never with this relentless intelligence and volume.

Comment

I see the next Leader of the Free World has been anointed.

Comment

Tip for plunger in the 8.20 in kempton

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                I have a friend living in the States who is friends with some Trump supporters. Their latest theory is : "the looters in the capitol were undercover cia to steal polosi's laptop,of which some crazy shit will be released soon to prove the stolen election. The other thugs are undercover antifa and BLM. The national guard are in Washington because trump is going to convince some generals to side with him and present it as a coup by Biden."
                Jesus is the root cause of that country's insanity.

Far too many people brought up die hard believing in nonsense. Fact, reason and logic are foreign concepts to them.

Their minds are fertile ground for conspiracy.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I didn’t mean to come across as cunty. I’d usually ignore this convo as I know where it leads but since it was you I said I’d discuss.

You’ve managed to call me cunty and Keane obnoxious now as we engaged with you. I don’t think the problem is with us.

Anyway, all I’m saying is use that noggin of yours even more intently as you get deeper in the rabbit hole you are going.

It’s all ultimately boils down to probability and trust.

That’s what you will find at the bottom of it all. A gamblers heart can misjudge probability and a man of your own personality, as enjoyable and carefree as it always is and was might find certain a things trustworthy that others wouldn’t.

caveat emptor samwise
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think he was saying he didn't want to sound cunty in that post.

Comment

I didnt even search it but received a push notification from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...der-rise-to-29

That's my 2nd push about it in as many days and I don't have many on my phone.

Anecdotally, it seems to be receiving adequate coverage

Also, Norway seems to be questioning the vaccine for those of that age with serious underlying health issues not just those above that age.
                      Last edited by Guest; 16-01-21, 18:52.

Comment

You are a cunt tho

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                          I didnt even search it but received a push notification from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...der-rise-to-29

That's my 2nd push about it in as many days and I don't have many on my phone.

Anecdotally, it seems to be receiving adequate coverage

Also, Norway seems to be questioning the vaccine for those of that age with serious underlying health issues not just those above that age.
                          Realistically, it sounds like the deaths are happening within the population who are 'end of life'.

So it's a stark choice here: innoculate (which might provoke a reaction bad enough to kill an end of life patient) or not, in which case covid will kill them if they get it.

Comment

Wait who's the cunt? Theresa for trying to save jbravado from joining the flatearthers in a cunty way? Jbravado for wanting to sign up to the cunty side despite surely having seen every rick possible at the poker table. Or latecomer murdrum for as yet unknown cunty reasons.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hey. If I bought loads of food stuff and stored it in the bedroom (it wouldn't spoil) and shipped it out from a website - would I need some sort of licence for trading and storing food, or anyone can do whatever the fuck they want?

Comment

He called me charming as well in fairness

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Hey. If I bought loads of food stuff and stored it in the bedroom (it wouldn't spoil) and shipped it out from a website - would I need some sort of licence for trading and storing food, or anyone can do whatever the fuck they want?
                                  One of the neighbours annoying you?
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

There was some story about a Dublin bedroom based sushi delivery service a few months ago wasn't there?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                      There was some story about a Dublin bedroom based sushi delivery service a few months ago wasn't there?
                                      Yeah, some guy running three online sushi takeaways out of the bedroom of a rented 3 bed semi.

Comment

Hadn't heard about that https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020...fsai-closures/
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          I think he was saying he didn't want to sound cunty in that post.
                                          sigh yeah, again please read again ste, was about myself not you. I'd extend that to all my other posts with the egoic interests that oppose us on different viewpoints. If you cant decipher that from my posts not sure what I can say!

Comment

Cunty is a gread word though tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                              I didn’t mean to come across as cunty. I’d usually ignore this convo as I know where it leads but since it was you I said I’d discuss.

You’ve managed to call me cunty and Keane obnoxious now as we engaged with you. I don’t think the problem is with us.

Anyway, all I’m saying is use that noggin of yours even more intently as you get deeper in the rabbit hole you are going.

It’s all ultimately boils down to probability and trust.

That’s what you will find at the bottom of it all. A gamblers heart can misjudge probability and a man of your own personality, as enjoyable and carefree as it always is and was might find certain a things trustworthy that others wouldn’t.

caveat emptor samwise
                                              This disconnect is the really intersting thing imo. I have had genuinely, not sure what the word is but I'd guess premonitions and visions of the future in such exactity that I can not rationally explain it. Rabbit holes as you CORRECTLY identify are cul de sacs, that doeesnt mean you cant acknolwelege that SOMETHING is usual, within knowing or even wanting to know why.

This extends to that. For me PERSONALLY I find the media coverage unusual. I appear to be in the minority. Without diving down some mad rabbit hole of conspiracy I can acknowledge that as can anyone who finds it unusual.

My last word on all this jazz, but all you can say again imo is the is too big, too encompassing a thing that we can say we have a fucking clue!

Dont think you are cunt, dont think Keane is particularly obnoxious albeit certainly prefer his company over a pint than his online version!

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

This disconnect is the really intersting thing imo. I have had genuinely, not sure what the word is but I'd guess premonitions and visions of the future in such exactity that I can not rationally explain it. Rabbit holes as you CORRECTLY identify are cul de sacs, that doeesnt mean you cant acknolwelege that SOMETHING is usual, within knowing or even wanting to know why.

This extends to that. For me PERSONALLY I find the media coverage unusual. I appear to be in the minority. Without diving down some mad rabbit hole of conspiracy I can acknowledge that as can anyone who finds it unusual.

My last word on all this jazz, but all you can say again imo is the is too big, too encompassing a thing that we can say we have a fucking clue!

Dont think you are cunt, dont think Keane is particularly obnoxious albeit certainly prefer his company over a pint than his online version!
                                                All three of us are absolute beauts IMO

Comment

Cunty is a gread word though tbf.
                                                  Cuntyballs is even better. Quite popular in Mid-Ulster in the 1980s.

Comment

I did misread the cunty comment. My bad homes. I did think it was unusual from you, prob should have re read but the rush to outrage is too strong.

Hard to disagree with the rest given it’s all very objective.

My worry is simply that a man of your sensitivity and worldly nature is as likely to end up selling moccasins at a stall in a West Cork farmers market as they are to dive deep into QAnon and become a believer. You don’t need me to argue with you though, you seem to be cognizant of the potential pathways, at least based on this post.

on the top big/we don’t have a clue thing, if we are to only rely on the things we know to be objectively and empirically true our knowledge as humans is very very very very limited . scary oul world.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Seems to me to be highly responsible of the media not going balls out with the story.

Definitely a market for it.

Comment

Has the news reached the cunty US media?

Comment

Character.

I only read the story of the woman who murdered an eight month pregnant woman removed the baby with a knife and tried to pass it off as her own, I'm sure even more terrible and vile things were domne by some odf the people on this list but I'm certain that Trump has not a fraction of the humanity of any one of them.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Seems to me to be highly responsible of the media not going balls out with the story.

Definitely a market for it.
                                                            This was my initial reaction too. This plastered across red tops and their american equivs would give the Jenny McCarthys and Anti lockdowners the world over more bs to justify themselves.

and it’s defo reachd the media up here in The Hat.

Comment

Imagine being in a demographic of population called “end of life” though. Some dose.

Hard to imagine the oul ones give a bollox after all they’ve seen though.

I’ve prob been “end of life” a few Sat or Sunday mornings now that I think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Cuntyballs is even better. Quite popular in Mid-Ulster in the 1980s.
                                                                Cunthook is not without it's charm.
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                  Imagine being in a demographic of population called “end of life” though. Some dose.

Hard to imagine the oul ones give a bollox after all they’ve seen though.

I’ve prob been “end of life” a few Sat or Sunday mornings now that I think of it.
                                                                  Basically translates as 'very old and frail'.

I guess if we're lucky, we'll be in that cohort ourselves. Some time around 2080.

Comment

This is a fascinating snippet from a recent Lex podcast. He talks about Oumuamua which is an object which passed through our Solar system a couple of years ago. Believed to be an interstellar object which would make it the first of its kind.

Alien spacecraft?

Last edited by Opr; 16-01-21, 21:41.

Comment

Comment

Brenda Fricker on the Tommy Tiernan show is fantastic.

Incredibly candid and engaging interview

Comment

Brenda Fricker on the Tommy Tiernan show is fantastic.

Incredibly candid and engaging interview
                                                                          Tommy Tiernan seems born to interview. He has an ability to ask the most frank questions that would have your skin crawling if Tubridy asked it, but he just has a depth and a compassion to him that makes it alright.

Even here now Brenda Fricker started off monosyllabic and dour and he was able to gently draw her out and now she's hopping.

Comment

Why is there almost no mention of the Norway deaths 23 almost immediately after vaccination and Germany in the mainstream media? Does anyone find it at the VERY least unusual. It seems to me absolutely nuts that there would not be more mention of it all things be equal

I am not in the slightest bit anti Vax etc but can increasingly see blind spots where people are forced into a corner when they even try and question things. EVEN extending to Denny when he asked some questions about how Trump is sold to us etc etc etc.
                                                                            I got a popup on my phone about it, I would consider that fairly mainstream. I imagine a lot people just thought the same as me, "that's a very small amount of people,if there is anything statistically more to it than normal deaths that we will hear about it"

Comment

I think what jbravado was really trying to say was that irrespective of these 23 people being elderly , not 1 section of the media highlighted that these were fucking Viking elderly people. This vaccine kills Vikings , 23 of them or 1 5th of a longboat. His point is well made
                                                                              Incidentally Norwegian Vikings were cuntish.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                This is a fascinating snippet from a recent Lex podcast. He talks about Oumuamua which is an object which passed through our Solar system a couple of years ago. Believed to be an interstellar object which would make it the first of its kind.

Alien spacecraft?

Was listening to that today, he deals with it really well and without going ott. The waypoint theory and his explaination of it using the static point of reference is wonderful

Comment

Tommy Tiernan seems born to interview. He has an ability to ask the most frank questions that would have your skin crawling if Tubridy asked it, but he just has a depth and a compassion to him that makes it alright.

Even here now Brenda Fricker started off monosyllabic and dour and he was able to gently draw her out and now she's hopping.
                                                                                  I remember going to see the bould Tommy, at least 20 years ago. His opening remark was about wanting to be turned into a 'fucking huge brown bear'. He then started cracking up himself at this notion and spent the next ten minutes mostly breaking his hole laughing while occasionally stating just how huge and ferocious of a bear he would like to become. Eventually he got around to telling the audience why he wanted to become a bear: "so I can fuck Ronan Keating up the arse!!"

He then collapsed on the stage in fits of laughter while the audience, most of whom were fairly well locked themselves, looked on in bemusement.

That was the best bit of the show too. Died onstage and didn't even realise it he was so out of it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I notice this isn't the first time you've mentioned tether. Like all good conspiracy theories, (and that is one) it contains an element of truth and a lot of unhinged craziness. Tether is the original stablecoin...
                                                                                      Not very up to speed on crypto. But have dipped my toes in. Tether seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. The idea of a stable coin seem extremely useful. Tether has first to market popularity and the fact is was tied to the USD value.
                                                                                      But if it’s not backed fully (as appears to be the case) it’s just a giant game of hot potato. Probably fine for trading. Would not be holding anything in off line wallets.

othervthe BTC and ETH. What alts do you think have potential?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        Which US President when faced with his party forcing recounts on him after a close race said "Our country cannot addord the agony of a constitutinal crisis and I damn well not be party to creating one just to become President"

Clue, his name appears in just about every list of the worst three Presidents.
                                                                                        To be fair, that’s likely a good example of recency bias also. Nixon was probably the mainly would have picked if asked a few years ago. But most academic studies in the last 20 years rank him around 30 out of 40-44. But good by any means, but not worst or close to to it.

Nixon worst ranking was 34/35 in a study in 1982. The closest to his term. Again, recency.
                                                                                        Across all studies the presidents consistently ranked worst tend to be James Buchanan, Ulysses S Grant, and Andrew Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Not very up to speed on crypto. But have dipped my toes in. Tether seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. The idea of a stable coin seem extremely useful. Tether has first to market popularity and the fact is was tied to the USD value.
                                                                                          But if it’s not backed fully (as appears to be the case) it’s just a giant game of hot potato. Probably fine for trading. Would not be holding anything in off line wallets.

othervthe BTC and ETH. What alts do you think have potential?
                                                                                          The problems with tether have been known about for years, in fact, the whole thing is baked into the ecosystem. There is something called the tether premium, which prices thing in tether higher than when priced in USD. Over the years the premium has come down to almost zero.

You are exactly right, stablecoins have proven to be enormously useful - there's been a tonne of innovation around stablecoins.

At first, you had centralised, fully collateralised stable coins (or supposedly so anyway!), like USDT or USDC (USDC is USDT without the legal problems, they recently partnered with VISA.). These are very handy to use, but the centralised nature means they could be easily shutdown or subject to regulation. If the US government decided to shutdown tether or USDC they could do it overnight. There's also a trust issue, which is tethers original sin.

Then you had decentralised over-collateralised stable coins, like DAI. These work by allowing anyone to deposit collateral and withdraw a stablecoin, but are very capital inefficient. The fact they exist only onchain means there is no entity to regulate, and they can be audited by anyone. DAI tends to trade between 1 and 1.01

And then since then, there have been a few waves of weird and wonderful innovations, mostly a combination of decentralised & partially collateralised/partially algorithmic. There's probably over a hundred of these at the moment, perhaps a few of them will stand the test of time. There's FRAX, ESD, FEI etc.

As for Alts, I would suggest any of the very successful DeFi projects that are revenue generating. https://defipulse.com/ has a list of the top defi projects. You can't go wrong with BTC though, and you can go very wrong with alts! There's a little introduction to DeFi here: https://www.coindesk.com/what-is-defi

Comment

Nice to see from cricket from one of the world's most beautiful grounds. Hopefully Sri Lanka can get a bit of a lead and we get a good finish.

Nice story too about the (only) England fan at the game. He's only had to wait 10 months for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

If it's a long read it's probably the athletic or maybe the guardian
                                                                                              Yes: if you are into that level of analysis subscribe to the Athletic. Always offers but quality of writing across many sports is excellent.
                                                                                              Also get your hands on a book called Mentality Monsters

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Thats the one! I had a momentary freakout before going in - wondering if somehow I might have injested metal by accident and it would be sucked out by the magnets. Yeah and then inside the coffin like structure for ages with all those weird sounds.
                                                                                                Yep! I had one just after Christmas, although it wasn't quite as bad as you'd be led to believe. I took some solace in that if the machine did break and my brain was impaled by metal, that it would all be over with rather quickly

Comment

England making an absolute bollocks of chasing 74 to win.

14/3 and game very much on when they were 1/50 shots for most of the game.

test match cricket

Comment

The deaths in Norway are out of 33,000 people who got the jab so 23 is what, 0.0007% of the most vulnerable? How does that compare to % chance of dying of covid for that cohort?
                                                                                                    Just have to point out that that is actually .07%.
                                                                                                    (It's one of my life missions to correct people who forgot to multiply by the 100 when doing percentages - that's how airplanes fall from the sky.)

Comment

Envoi Allen just looks to have gears that aren't in the regular gearbox. Pity the crazy horse didn't jump around with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        Envoi Allen just looks to have gears that aren't in the regular gearbox. Pity the crazy horse didn't jump around with him.
                                                                                                        Got to love the ease with which he accelerated when Joeph's looked like he might be some kind of challenge.

Comment

According to a tweet I saw quoting actuarial tables this is basically a non-event - "In Ireland, for every ~12,000 aged 80+ we vaccinate, we can expect 23 to pass away in the following week alone from natural causes". The deaths in Norway are out of 33,000 people who got the jab so 23 is what, 0.0007% of the most vulnerable? How does that compare to % chance of dying of covid for that cohort?
                                                                                                          Wonder if the likelihood of these death would have been identified if the test cycle hadn't been accelerated.

Comment

I watched the Tomme Tierney thing this morning.
                                                                                                            Not since boyzonnes debut on the LLS have I had such a WTF moment when that rap group came on .

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Just have to point out that that is actually .07%.
                                                                                                              (It's one of my life missions to correct people who forgot to multiply by the 100 when doing percentages - that's how airplanes fall from the sky.)
                                                                                                              **** it

Comment

* it by 100
                                                                                                                FYP

Comment

No activity in the book thread but my regular check on the Kindle Daily 99p deal was a good one, Ben Graham’s Intelligent Investor which may be of interest to some: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent...3UP32AZJ14Fay:

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Wonder if the likelihood of these death would have been identified if the test cycle hadn't been accelerated.
                                                                                                                    possibly. But every day the vaccines are delayed costs far more lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

possibly. But every day the vaccines are delayed costs far more lives.
                                                                                                                      Plenty of management and sales types see testing and validation as a delay. Horrible logic really. The this side effect was an unknown so a lives saved Vs lives lost assessment couldn't be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Plenty of management and sales types see testing and validation as a delay. Horrible logic really. The this side effect was an unknown so a lives saved Vs lives lost assessment couldn't be made.
                                                                                                                        They're known (mild) side-effects e.g. fever, diarrhea interacting with extremely frail people. I don't think they test sick 90 year olds no matter how long the trials go on for.

Comment

No activity in the book thread but my regular check on the Kindle Daily 99p deal was a good one, Ben Graham’s Intelligent Investor which may be of interest to some: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent...3UP32AZJ14Fay:
                                                                                                                          Nice one, just ordered.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X