This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Was just wondering if there was an agreed term that I didn't know. I could see myself using normal in conversation without thinking and upsetting parents that I could end up running into at schools for the guts of 2 decades.

It wasn't a what else would you call them comment and I understand why it upset so many.
    Not even remotely suggesting your question was anything other than sincere. I had to ask recently too.

Like you I'd easily have a slip of the tongue, I just think she really should know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Not even remotely suggesting your question was anything other than sincere. I had to ask recently too.

Like you I'd easily have a slip of the tongue, I just think she really should know better.
      It’s worse in a tweet where you have the option to proof read and much worse coming from her alright

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        This guy?

all part of the plan...

SPOILER
        Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-01-21, 10:17.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

As Kayroo says.

This is a comment which has upset quite a lot of people especially coming from the Minister with responsibility over special needs education.

It comes on the back of issues surrounding return to school next Thursday and how some children will be impacted by that while others will not.

Generally I’d be willing to give public figures a pass on most gaffes that often incite people but I think this one is particularly poor.
          ah now.

First of all - there's context. She has managed to overcome teacher aversion to get schools open for special needs kids. Thats the actual story. So focusing on a wrong word choice despite her clear success on behalf of these kids is just so far out of whack. And its quite clear that what she meant was 'ordinary' rather than normal. This clinging on to word faux pax is the weakest form of political games.

Like if she had been saying 'man, all these fucking special needs kids, why can't they be normal?' - you could justifiably criticise. But when the whole story is about a big success on the part of these kids its just a case of noting the mistake and moving on.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

"Those without special educational requirements"
            come on now.

Comment

Mother and baby homes were effectively concentration camps . They should be viewed as such and set as museums of hell so we never forget .

Comment

Is Mainsteram not the right word?

I know teachers who have had real difficulty figuring out the linguistic gymnastics involved and these things tend to be dynamic and depenc on context but I think the broad terms are the very wide ranging 'special needs' and mainstream.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lucky they weren't in a double decker! https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-crash-...25616-Jan2021/

?width=630&version=5325632.jpg
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Was just wondering if there was an agreed term that I didn't know. I could see myself using normal in conversation without thinking and upsetting parents that I could end up running into at schools for the guts of 2 decades.

It wasn't a what else would you call them comment and I understand why it upset so many.
                    There is a lot about the way this is playing out that makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Too much military around the inauguration that I assume there will not be crowds at anyway, thety should make every effort to be invisible.
                    The impeachment will give him a platform to drone on about stolen elections for months
                    The twitter ban while correct is also terrible optics

The only way to resolve it is for him to die or have a severely debilatating stroke soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                      Lucky they weren't in a double decker! https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-crash-...25616-Jan2021/
                      Sup out with the Covid?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Mainstream sounds grand. Its also a single word.

Obv the preferred route would be to go back in time to choose this name for special schools.

derek-zoolander-center-for-kids-who-cant-read-good-and-35311741.png

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There is a lot about the way this is playing out that makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Too much military around the inauguration that I assume there will not be crowds at anyway, thety should make every effort to be invisible.
                          The impeachment will give him a platform to drone on about stolen elections for months
                          The twitter ban while correct is also terrible optics

The only way to resolve it is for him to die or have a severely debilatating stroke soon.
                          dat quoting

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ah now.

First of all - there's context. She has managed to overcome teacher aversion to get schools open for special needs kids. Thats the actual story. So focusing on a wrong word choice despite her clear success on behalf of these kids is just so far out of whack. And its quite clear that what she meant was 'ordinary' rather than normal. This clinging on to word faux pax is the weakest form of political games.

Like if she had been saying 'man, all these fucking special needs kids, why can't they be normal?' - you could justifiably criticise. But when the whole story is about a big success on the part of these kids its just a case of noting the mistake and moving on.
                            That's a largely separate issue but let's not blow it's "success" out of proportion either. It's a success for a cohort of children but not even close to all.

She did manage to get schools open which has now caused another issue. You're obviously aware that children with needs are disproportionately at greater risk during this time than those not availing of assistance.

Therefore many can't attend resulting in no access to a class teacher so have fewer resources to avail of resulting in a disparity between children from the same class.
                            Also, many parents won't send kids back who aren't in a higher risk category so she may have created a situation which is actually less beneficial to all the kids it's targeted at helping.

It was a poor choice of words from the minister who should have greater awareness than almost anyone in the country. As I said, not one for holding a slip of the tongue over anyone but it was poor.
                            Last edited by Guest; 15-01-21, 11:03.

Comment

"Typical" is the word that should be used. Eventually that will become stigmatised and we'll have to say something else. The ballet continues.
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

That's a largely separate issue but let's not blow it's "success" out of proportion either. It's a success for a cohort of children but not even close to all.

She did manage to get schools open which has now caused another issue. You're obviously aware that children with needs are disproportionately at greater risk during this time than those not availing of assistance.

Therefore many can't attend resulting in no access to a class teacher so have fewer resources to avail of resulting in a disparity between children from the same class.
                                Also, many parents won't send kids back who aren't in a higher risk category so she may have created a situation which is actually less beneficial to all the kids it's targeted at helping.

It was a poor choice of words from the minister who should have greater awareness than almost anyone in the country. As I said, not one for holding a slip of the tongue over anyone but it was poor.
                                Still plenty of teachers in those schools flat-out refusing to work under any circumstances, including principals.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Some amount of betting slips being torn up in the book on who would be the first to join the HJ Woke House.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                    "Typical" is the word that should be used. Eventually that will become stigmatised and we'll have to say something else. The ballet continues.
                                    Amongst the newspeak doing the rounds I find 'neurotypical' really annoying like who the fuck is neurotypical GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

dat quoting
                                      I blame the sites DB Admin myself

Comment

Some amount of betting slips being torn up in the book on who would be the first to join the HJ Woke House.
                                        That's a very Twitteresque response.

There's nothing woke in thinking the policy she has pushed through is myopic nor is there anything particularly woke about thinking the Minister of State with responsibility for "Special Education" should use the correct language when discussing special education.

As I said, I can forgive for the use of language but it doesn't resolve her of being a little inept.

Comment

Is Mainsteram not the right word?

I know teachers who have had real difficulty figuring out the linguistic gymnastics involved and these things tend to be dynamic and depenc on context but I think the broad terms are the very wide ranging 'special needs' and mainstream.
                                          Mainstream seems fair enough but refers more to the school.

Plenty of children with needs in mainstream schools, some who need an SNA and some who don't.

It's the choice of the parent to decide which school they attend and whether to pursue/accept assistance.

Comment

That's a very Twitteresque response.

There's nothing woke in thinking the policy she has pushed through is myopic nor is there anything particularly woke about thinking the Minister of State with responsibility for "Special Education" should use the correct language when discussing special education.

As I said, I can forgive for the use of language but it doesn't resolve her of being a little inept.
                                            ah i was only messing. I just don't like these side-stories that envelope the whole story. Its a very UK thing - Ed Miliband announcing a new lower train fares policy while eating a bacon sandwich becomes a story about eating a bacon sandwich. Their politics is ruined as a result. Everything is about image and nothing about substance. I really can't imagine that Josepha views special education kids as abnormal, yet that is the implication. While the actual story itself is that many parents wanted school back so as not to miss out on development of their kids, especially those with autism, Josepha did it despite teachers not wanting to work, thats the story.

Comment

@HH

Now I want a nice crispy bacon sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                I know 11/20 artists but none of the tracks. Really need to get out of my stagnant listening pool.

I'm gonna set each one of those tracks to radio on Google play and start favouriting a load of stuff.
                                                Use your duscover weekly on spotify. I listened to 3,147 artists last year with 1,732 being new and 762 genres apparently. It's a great way to find new stuff. I also listened to the same playlist for friends with music taste that I like.

Comment

Amongst the newspeak doing the rounds I find 'neurotypical' really annoying like who the fuck is neurotypical GTFO
                                                  I once vehemently denied the accusation of being neurotypical by a particularly woke client. Although in fairness compared to him I was very much neurotypical.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Use your duscover weekly on spotify. I listened to 3,147 artists last year with 1,732 being new and 762 genres apparently. It's a great way to find new stuff. I also listened to the same playlist for friends with music taste that I like.
                                                    Cheers Tar, I use YouTube music. There's a similar feature, I'll start using it more.
                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Yeah after a while it starts to represent the hated majority. Like "Cis" or "White", it just represents the oppressor and has no actual meaning. There's also the mad phenomenon of people using their disabilities as an identity. You get all kinds of bizarre things going on, like deaf people refusing cochlear implants because they don't want to become One Of Them.
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Check out the neurotyps discussing themselves

Comment

Yeah after a while it starts to represent the hated majority. Like "Cis" or "White", it just represents the oppressor and has no actual meaning. There's also the mad phenomenon of people using their disabilities as an identity. You get all kinds of bizarre things going on, like deaf people refusing cochlear implants because they don't want to become One Of Them.
                                                          wallstreetbets on reddit celebrating 'autists'

Comment

I blame the sites DB Admin myself
                                                            On that note, things have improved.
                                                            some silliness remains but Dom is all over it like a rash.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

On that note, things have improved.
                                                              some silliness remains but Dom is all over it like a rash.
                                                              we'll see about that

edit: forgot to come back to this post. was just testing how quickly it posted. seems a fair bit of a delay, no? not criticising, you are doing gods own work, just feedback!
                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-01-21, 14:18.

Comment

This came up on mine this morning and I was consumed by it

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Big smiles

Comment

And is anyone not keeping well as a result of covid? Suffering a bit perhaps in life or anything else?

Comment

Finished Man Down last night on Netflix, so so good, such a pity its only 4 seasons of 6/7 episodes, comedy gold imo.

Anyway, they played this version of "The Only Way Is Up, Yazz had a hit with it in '88, didnt realise how sad the lyrics were for such an upbeat song.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

we'll see about that

edit: forgot to come back to this post. was just testing how quickly it posted. seems a fair bit of a delay, no? not criticising, you are doing gods own work, just feedback!
                                                                        stop watch on

Comment

less than 4 seconds on laptop

3 for a new reply

Comment

testing

edit - 2 seconds

Comment

testing

edit - 2 seconds
                                                                              woop, woop

2s also

Comment

Funny I have tried 3 times to post in the running thread and it won’t receive it?
                                                                                26s to post on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Cheers Tar, I use YouTube music. There's a similar feature, I'll start using it more.
                                                                                  I use youtube music too. Discover playlist gets better and better as it goes on. Im looking forward to it's release each Wednesday these days!
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Mainstream seems fair enough but refers more to the school.

Plenty of children with needs in mainstream schools, some who need an SNA and some who don't.

It's the choice of the parent to decide which school they attend and whether to pursue/accept assistance.
                                                                                    I don’t think normal is so offensive either.

I find it’s when people know clearly the intention isn’t malevolent that these types of arguments on semantics are counter productive. I think when we get to a stage when calling someone normal results in offence, we’re in the PC gone mad territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

I find it’s when people know clearly the intention isn’t malevolent that these types of arguments on semantics are counter productive. I think when we get to a stage when calling someone normal results in offence, we’re in the PC gone mad territory.
                                                                                      I get where your coming from and its logical to think that since most kids are healthy that they are the normal state for children to be in.

If your a parent with a child with special needs then you don't want them classified as not in the normal range. Luckily it doesnt apply to me but I do know people who it does. One with very mild cerebal palsy, wont be an athlete but outside of that their kid is very smart and sociable so normal developing.
                                                                                      Last edited by RichieM; 15-01-21, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Of course it is because the antonym is abnormal/unusual which doesn’t exactly carry the most positive connotations.

A parent or child can understandably feel aggrieved hearing that their highest representative isn’t referring to them/child as normal.

On a personal level, I get it, mistakes happen, she really shouldn’t make them but we can move past ineptitude because there is no malice.

That said, it’s not correct terminology for a reason. People are offended by it and she should have more wherewithal than to use it.

Comment

I used the phrase Chinese Whispers in a meeting today. Have I done a boo boo or is it ok?

Comment

oh yeah, i'd say most would agree that it is most definitely not the correct term. Any opposition was to promoting it as an issue over the actual solving of school access.

Comment

I used the phrase Chinese Whispers in a meeting today. Have I done a boo boo or is it ok?
                                                                                              CHINESE WHISPERS

Meaning: A game in which a message is passed along in whispers, often distorted between the start and finish.

Origin: The notion of "Chinese whispers" stems from a racist idea in the 1800s that Chinese people spoke in a way that was deliberately unintelligible. It associates the Chinese language with "confusion" and "incomprehensibility". Now, the game is more commonly referred to as "the telephone game" in the United States.
                                                                                              see also (and these are a surprising to me):

LONG TIME NO SEE

Meaning: "Hey, it's been a while since I last you!"

Origin: In the early 1900s, this phrase was used to mock immigrants who spoke English as a second language. In particular, it was used as a way to mock the Chinese language, given the words are derived from Chinese pidgin English, in accordance with the language's sentence structure.

NO CAN DO

Meaning: Sorry, I won't be able to do that.

Origin: According to the Oxford Dictionary, this phrase is also an imitation of Chinese pidgin English. The phrase dates back to around the same time period, when racist western attitudes towards the Chinese would present themselves in mocking speech imitations.

Comment

I get where your coming from and its logical to think that since most kids are healthy that they are the normal state for children to be in.

If your a parent with a child with special needs then you don't want them classified as not in the normal range. Luckily it doesnt apply to me but I do know people who it does. One with very mild cerebal palsy, wont be an athlete but outside of that their kid is very smart and sociable so normal developing.
                                                                                                I think it’s more a reflection on the hurdle rate to become offended seems to be getting ever-lower. Take for instance, you’re use of Special Needs, there are cases where parents find this incredibly offensive and use “different needs” instead. The reality is that people saying special needs aren’t trying to cause offence, usually quite the opposite.

Now, my point isn’t that people shouldn’t be pulled up for causing offence, there are clearly times when this is justified and needed, but when the bar gets lowered to the Nth degree it lessens the impact for all. Taking it reductio ad absurdum, If we’re outraged by everything were outraged by nothing.

Comment

Of course it is because the antonym is abnormal/unusual which doesn’t exactly carry the most positive connotations.

A parent or child can understandably feel aggrieved hearing that their highest representative isn’t referring to them/child as normal.

On a personal level, I get it, mistakes happen, she really shouldn’t make them but we can move past ineptitude because there is no malice.

That said, it’s not correct terminology for a reason. People are offended by it and she should have more wherewithal than to use it.
                                                                                                  This is exactly my point.

FWIW it’s not this specific example that concerns me, it’s just the rush to find offence for lesser and lesser things that irks me.

Comment

Peter Sellers an the infamous Inspector hilariously ribbed the French accent. as for Kato . Imagine some of today's woke wans even 30 years ago. They'd pass out.

Alf Garnett choking on Clive Best playing for West AAAAMM
                                                                                                    Racist rants for the entire show . BBC TV . Now they've ruined Soccer Saturday due to diversification rules .
                                                                                                    Enjoyed the banter . Shit now .

Comment

Ordered a pair of trainers off JD online well before Crimbo. Contacted them after a few weeks as no sign of them. They said trainers got lost in mail and gave me a refund. Trainers show up today.

What's my play? Keep or attempt to return?
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                        Ordered a pair of trainers off JD online well before Crimbo. Contacted them after a few weeks as no sign of them. They said trainers got lost in mail and gave me a refund. Trainers show up today.

What colour ?

Comment

shit, I used Chinese Wall. In front of ACTUAL CHINESE PEOPLE. They didn't seem to give a shit, or more likely weren't listening.

Comment

I know someone who had finished a presentation/talk and asked if there where any questions from the peanut gallery. There where no questions, just one person with criticism for his use of peanut gallery.

There are so many sayings that have racial connotations, my friend not growing up in the segregated south of the US was obviously unaware, as was I when he told me about it.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 15-01-21, 17:46.

Comment

Sometimes you need a bit of Chappelle.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

shit, I used Chinese Wall. In front of ACTUAL CHINESE PEOPLE. They didn't seem to give a shit, or more likely weren't listening.
                                                                                                                Like a lot of these things, I'd say the Chinese dgaf.
                                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

We have one customer that has a Quality Control person working for them in China, where all their goods come from. The person who runs the logistics for my customer is non Irish.

After one meeting back in 2019 about a new product line about to start moving, our A/c manager send a recap of the meeting notes to the customer, in which she wrote

"Customer XYZ's China lady will advise when the QC has been complete"

I'm far from woke but I was shocked that somebody would actually put that in writing to a customer, especially as our contact is non Irish. If I was on the receiving end of that e-mail, I'd be thinking, do they refer to me as Customer XYZ's *insert customers nationality* man.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                    We have one customer that has a Quality Control person working for them in China, where all their goods come from. The person who runs the logistics for my customer is non Irish.

After one meeting back in 2019 about a new product line about to start moving, our A/c manager send a recap of the meeting notes to the customer, in which she wrote

"Customer XYZ's China lady will advise when the QC has been complete"

I'm far from woke but I was shocked that somebody would actually put that in writing to a customer, especially as our contact is non Irish. If I was on the receiving end of that e-mail, I'd be thinking, do they refer to me as Customer XYZ's *insert customers nationality* man.

I talk about 'our Argentinian guy' or 'our man in Buenos Aires' all the time.

Any more of this shit and I'll be wearing a Trump t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Happened to my young lad yesterday ordered Canada goose jacket and sent mail wondering where it was
                                                                                                                      dpd said they lost it got full refund but then jacket turned up
                                                                                                                      very happy young man at home
                                                                                                                      jacket looks well

Comment

Purple Monkey Dishwasher is how I describe Chinese Whispers.

It’s simultaneously a safe way of describing it and a character test.
                                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

A Chinese Wall is an actual thing* and isn't intended as any way derogatory. It's the Chinese whispers that are intended as insulting from the very beginning.

Similarly if you referred to Irish whiskey or French wine you wouldn't be insulting Irish, French, whiskey or wine.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X