X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

If Strewel had to pick one of the below, which do people reckon he'd go for

A three hour long five course dinner with the top 5 people in Sinn Fein - Meat/Fish would be served

OR

A three hour long five course dinner with 5 vegans - Only vegan food would be served.

Some tiny chance that the shinners would be able to see the error of their ways even if they woud be too scared to admit it in front of other politburo members and I'd quite likely learn something about how and why they don't want to see the light, decent chance of some craic too. Close to zero chance of learning anything other than some shite recipies from the vegans
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      Speaking of food, one day left in my deliveroo week of paid eating, how will I go back to cooking. It is actually a lot of work to be ordering, taking mediocre pics, eating this stuff every day, and god help my scales.
      What's been your favourite?

Comment

I made a lentil soup for lunch. Although did sneakily use chicken stock.

Now noted that vegetarian daughter helped herself to a large portion in the meantime.

Modern manners: do I say anything?
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I've noticed that when you have someone blocked they don't count towards the number of likes listed for a post if they have liked (but you can see they liked it by clicking on the number). I think this is an excellent expunging of undesirables' opinions and preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Personally, I prefer something more objective. Perhaps only President to ever have been impeached twice?
            I mean... by any objective standard its hard to imagine a worse president.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... what was the bank shares you were banging on about last year? BOI I assume? How did you get some and how did it work out?

I am new to Degiro and when I looked up them it was telling me these are "complex shares" and made me take a test. What is that all about?

tI am on the BTC and ETH bus now but want to invest some more longer term plays in Degiro. Anyone got any tips? Are all ETF's safe enough or any I should target? Any advice would be great. Total newb here.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What's been your favourite?
                A lot of the stuff I have had before, I've been around the block so it is mostly to showcase to others. I've tried to put up some healthier food, middle of the road and out and out junk food, and I'd have favourites in each. A few of my favs would be cauliflower wings/pastries from veginity/vish. The burgers from Token (Big mac and vegan chick). Kebab and sushi from sova vegan butcher, bento box from Musashi, the healthy bowls from Nutbutter and Kale+Coco, chikun fillet roll from vegansandwichco. I'll stick up pictures after I'm all done.

I get a lot of emails wanting me to try things, or promote things but one I recently got that got my attention said that if I tried their food they would plant 100 trees for me and send me a certificate haha. I looked at their site and they are planting trees in general from the money they make, in Ireland and the UK. Of course I was just as happy to get 6kg of candy the other day,
                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 14-01-21, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

I mean... by any objective standard its hard to imagine a worse president.
                  I read an article today which argued that Trump is most certainly the worst character to have been President. And I think that's undeniable.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I read an article today which argued that Trump is most certainly the worst character to have been President. And I think that's undeniable.
                    Exactly, arguments can be made elsewhere in terms of economy and such but hard to imagine a more deplorable character.

Comment

Speaking of kitchen-related activity, I spent 20 minutes earlier taking a blunt old chef's knife and used the kit sp recommended to turn it into a very sharp object indeed.

Passed the paper test with flying colours. And cut myself drying it up after.

Comment

Exactly, arguments can be made elsewhere in terms of economy and such but hard to imagine a more deplorable character.
                        I doubt he even has what most of us would call 'character'. He is completely guided by his own self-interest alone and will lie, cheat, hurt in order to fulfill it.

Comment

I doubt he even has what most of us would call 'character'. He is completely guided by his own self-interest alone and will lie, cheat, hurt in order to fulfill it.
                          What one word would you use to best describe him?

Comment

I have these vegetarian quesadillas on the rotation and they're winner winner at the moment. So unbelievably tasty.

I add a bit of heat. Add cayenne to the beans and make a hot salsa with red jalapeños and chillies.

Have used pinto, red and black beans. Not much difference, pinto slightly best.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...an-quesadillas

Farts are incredible after them.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

'Narcissist' doesn't really seem adequate. So take your pick between 'psychopath' and 'sociopath' - hotspur is the man here though. I think the former as the pithiest defintion I can find says that the difference between the two is that a sociopath has a conscience. Trump displays no signs of having one.

A: Psychopath

Comment

Three leaves in Blackrock do ridic good takeaway vegetarian food.
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Dice, this article from 2016 on the mind of Trump is worth a read.

Some tidbits:
                                  belligerent language may also incite nationalistic anger among Trump’s supporters

Trump’s personality is certainly extreme by any standard, and particularly rare for a presidential candidate; many people who encounter the man—in negotiations or in interviews or on a debate stage or watching that debate on television—seem to find him flummoxing.
                                  the broad social reputation Trump has garnered as a remarkably disagreeable person, based upon a lifetime of widely observed interactions. People low in agreeableness are described as callous, rude, arrogant, and lacking in empathy. If Donald Trump does not score low on this personality dimension, then probably nobody does.
                                  In international affairs, Nixon was tough, pragmatic, and coolly rational. Trump seems capable of a similar toughness and strategic pragmatism, although the cool rationality does not always seem to fit, probably because Trump’s disagreeableness appears so strongly motivated by anger.
                                  It is generally believed today that all politicians lie, or at least dissemble, but Trump appears extreme in this regard.
                                  He could be a daring and ruthlessly aggressive decision maker who desperately desires to create the strongest, tallest, shiniest, and most awesome result—and who never thinks twice about the collateral damage he will leave behind. Tough. Bellicose. Threatening. Explosive.
                                  Self-references pervade Trump’s speeches and conversations, too. When, in the summer of 1999, he stood up to offer remarks at his father’s funeral, Trump spoke mainly about himself. It was the toughest day of his own life, Trump began. He went on to talk about Fred Trump’s greatest achievement: raising a brilliant and renowned son.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                    Hitchhiker's Guide To... what was the bank shares you were banging on about last year? BOI I assume? How did you get some and how did it work out?

I am new to Degiro and when I looked up them it was telling me these are "complex shares" and made me take a test. What is that all about?

tI am on the BTC and ETH bus now but want to invest some more longer term plays in Degiro. Anyone got any tips? Are all ETF's safe enough or any I should target? Any advice would be great. Total newb here.
                                    I went with AIB for no particular reason. Both the banks are grand. Are you sure you have the right BoI stock? It should have this complete code for the stock: IE00BD1RP616 ? Might just be counted as 'complex' because it has high risk. I'm up about two grand, but would have been up way more if I'd stuck with ETH.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Three leaves in Blackrock do ridic good takeaway vegetarian food.
                                      They're great, would feel bad for the poor deliveroo cyclist though.

Comment

Dice, this article from 2016 on the mind of Trump is worth a read.

Some tidbits:

FA did an Anthology of his term, I’ve only read a handful but you’d probably read them all

The Foreign Policy Legacy of the “America First” President

Comment

I'm 99% sure that in the three and a half years I worked with Strewelpeter he never ate any meat.

Comment

'Narcissist' doesn't really seem adequate. So take your pick between 'psychopath' and 'sociopath' - hotspur is the man here though. I think the former as the pithiest defintion I can find says that the difference between the two is that a sociopath has a conscience. Trump displays no signs of having one.

Yeah, its a struggle to find a word that fits to him. Charlatan in terms of him as President Trump but as a person, no. Even the reliable Dublinese fails him like Gobshite, dickhead and Geebag. Just not strong enough...

Comment

Big difference in how people say narcissist and things like actual narcissistic personality disorder.

Comment

I'm 99% certain the article I'm looking for was posted here at some stage if anyone can help.

It's a long read on Liverpools method of scouting players and tracking their projected gains. Hugely interesting but I cant for the life of me remember the source.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                  I'm 99% certain the article I'm looking for was posted here at some stage if anyone can help.

It's a long read on Liverpools method of scouting players and tracking their projected gains. Hugely interesting but I cant for the life of me remember the source.
                                                  Who are you arguing with?
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sociocunt

Comment

If it's a long read it's probably the athletic or maybe the guardian

Comment

Anyone else scour through hotspur's recent likes to see who he thinks is a plonker?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Colleague in work got positive test results back yesterday as expected.

No symptoms from anybody else in the office but I was still a bit (probably unnecessarily) paranoid about being around my Dad so I booked myself in for a private test. Booked it online last night around 9PM, appointment for 1PM today in the green long term car park at the airport, in/out in about 25 minutes, and negative test result back in just under 6 hours - Very efficient process altogether and at 149 quid, a fairly cheap way at easing any fear I had.

Will still be extra vigilant than before but good to not be worried about it.

Comment

In other news, I'm very late to this but my top 20 tunes of 2020 are below along with a link to the Spotify playlist

20) Yard Act – Fixer Upper
                                                                19) Pillow Queens – Holy Show
                                                                18) Janelle Monae – Turntables
                                                                17) Doves – Prisoners
                                                                16) Caribou – You & I
                                                                15) Waxahatchee – Fire
                                                                14) Christine & The Queens – People, I’ve Been Sad
                                                                13) Matt Berninger – Distant Axis
                                                                12) The Flaming Lips – Will You Return / When You Come Down
                                                                11) Ailbhe Reddy - Looking Happy
                                                                10) Sault – Wildfires
                                                                9) Perfume Genius – Without You
                                                                8) Jonsi – Swill
                                                                7) Working Men’s Club – Valleys
                                                                6) Arab Strap – Compersion Pt 1
                                                                5) This is the Kit – Coming to Get You Nowhere
                                                                4) Ghostpoet - I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep
                                                                3) Michael Kiwanuka – You Ain’t the Problem
                                                                2) Fontaines DC – You Said
                                                                1) This is the Kit – This Is What You did

Comment

Mighty stuff.

Thanks very much. It was the NYT one posted here originally I think but I've sent both of them on. Appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Who are you arguing with?
                                                                    Sorry m8. That one has gone over my head.

Comment

Colleague in work got positive test results back yesterday as expected.

No symptoms from anybody else in the office but I was still a bit (probably unnecessarily) paranoid about being around my Dad so I booked myself in for a private test. Booked it online last night around 9PM, appointment for 1PM today in the green long term car park at the airport, in/out in about 25 minutes, and negative test result back in just under 6 hours - Very efficient process altogether and at 149 quid, a fairly cheap way at easing any fear I had.

Will still be extra vigilant than before but good to not be worried about it.
                                                                      Really is a great service. Work paid for us to get tested before going back after Christmas. My tester was jolly Josh who sang the whole way through the process. Asked him how he remained so chipper doing the job. He said it makes the day go quicker and cheers people up. Great attitude by him tbf. And results back that evening to keep work happy.

Comment

In other news, I'm very late to this but my top 20 tunes of 2020 are below along with a link to the Spotify playlist

20) Yard Act – Fixer Upper
                                                                        19) Pillow Queens – Holy Show
                                                                        18) Janelle Monae – Turntables
                                                                        17) Doves – Prisoners
                                                                        16) Caribou – You & I
                                                                        15) Waxahatchee – Fire
                                                                        14) Christine & The Queens – People, I’ve Been Sad
                                                                        13) Matt Berninger – Distant Axis
                                                                        12) The Flaming Lips – Will You Return / When You Come Down
                                                                        11) Ailbhe Reddy - Looking Happy
                                                                        10) Sault – Wildfires
                                                                        9) Perfume Genius – Without You
                                                                        8) Jonsi – Swill
                                                                        7) Working Men’s Club – Valleys
                                                                        6) Arab Strap – Compersion Pt 1
                                                                        5) This is the Kit – Coming to Get You Nowhere
                                                                        4) Ghostpoet - I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep
                                                                        3) Michael Kiwanuka – You Ain’t the Problem
                                                                        1) This is the Kit – This Is What You did

2/20. Getting better.

Comment

2/20. Getting better.
                                                                          Likewise (bands that is, not songs).

Comment

<sigh> always with the Fontaines DC

Michael Kiwanuka on the other hand

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

It was just to see how long it would take you to react

Comment

Comment

Leave. eu relocating to Waterford. Looks like you're next boys!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                    Waiting all day for someone to explain how that's fake - it's incredible. I presume that's not exactly a view you could get with your naked eye?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Cold little heart is an epic track.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Waiting all day for someone to explain how that's fake - it's incredible. I presume that's not exactly a view you could get with your naked eye?
                                                                                        There's argument in the comments about it.

Aparently cold weather can refract light around a horizon.

Would love to see that. There's a spot in the Wicklow mountains where Wales is visible.

Comment

2/20. Getting better.
                                                                                          5/20 I also know one of the Pillow Queens, looks like they are going to be huge.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I know 11/20 artists but none of the tracks. Really need to get out of my stagnant listening pool.

I'm gonna set each one of those tracks to radio on Google play and start favouriting a load of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                              Leave. eu relocating to Waterford. Looks like you're next boys!
                                                                                              Leaflet in the door tonight from the Nationalist Party too. It’s all kicking off now

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Would love to see that. There's a spot in the Wicklow mountains where Wales is visible.
                                                                                                Its pretty rare but can be seen from the coast here too.

Its never more than a slight bit of mountain on the horizon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Should be able to see it, or similar with the naked eye. The light hitting the lens is the same as your eyes.
                                                                                                    There's a bit of a zoom lens, but foreground is still on land side. Probable UV filter to clear some haze.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yup. Temperature, water vapour etc.
                                                                                                    We should only be able to see 5km at sea level, and more as you go higher. But over 140km, the entire mountain should be below the horizon (-1km).

This kind of stuff, people being able to see further than the claimed curve of the earth the Flat Earth Society "prove" the earth wasn't round.
                                                                                                    Wonder if this picture will turn in on Flat Earth forums soon.

Advocates of a flat Earth, however, were not deterred: on 11 May 1904 Lady Elizabeth Anne Blount, who would go on to be influential in the formation of the Flat Earth Society, hired a commercial photographer to use a telephoto-lens camera to take a picture from Welney of a large white sheet she had placed, the bottom edge near the surface of the river, at Rowbotham's original position 6 miles (9.7 km) away. The photographer, Edgar Clifton from Dallmeyer's studio, mounted his camera 2 feet (0.61 m) above the water at Welney and was surprised to be able to obtain a picture of the target, which he believed should have been invisible to him, given the low mounting point of the camera. Lady Blount published the pictures far and wide.

Comment

"Trump".

Can't think of any greater insult you could hurl
                                                                                                      at somebody than calling them a "Trump".

Comment

Josepha Madigan with quite the faux pas yesterday: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...58779?mode=amp

Comment

Josepha Madigan with quite the faux pas yesterday: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...58779?mode=amp
                                                                                                          What is the correct way to refer to the group of children without the children with special needs?

Genuine question, it’s not something I can imagine needing to use very often but my oldest will be going to pre school once this corona virus fucks off so it could come up.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

"Trump".

Can't think of any greater insult you could hurl
                                                                                                            at somebody than calling them a "Trump".
                                                                                                            Unless you are a snooker player .
                                                                                                            Donald will be history pretty soon . Its surprising how quickly we move on and forget. However the learnings are usually forgotten.......whilst my guitar gently weeps .

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

What is the correct way to refer to the group of children without the children with special needs?

Genuine question, it’s not something I can imagine needing to use very often but my oldest will be going to pre school once this corona virus fucks off so it could come up.
                                                                                                              A TROOP .

Comment

Had quite a Donald this morning.
                                                                                                                Hardly any straining, must be all that fibre in my diet.

Comment

Uberkinder
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I wonder how they are going to manage the optics of Bidden getting sworn in with a small heavily vetted crowd of true followers while national guard patrol in Humvees and full battle gear.

It ironically will be the look of someone who stole the election.

Comment

"Those without special educational requirements"
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

As Kayroo says.

This is a comment which has upset quite a lot of people especially coming from the Minister with responsibility over special needs education.

It comes on the back of issues surrounding return to school next Thursday and how some children will be impacted by that while others will not.

Generally I’d be willing to give public figures a pass on most gaffes that often incite people but I think this one is particularly poor.

Comment

As Kayroo says.

This is a comment which has upset quite a lot of people especially coming from the Minister with responsibility over special needs education.

It comes on the back of issues surrounding return to school next Thursday and how some children will be impacted by that while others will not.

Generally I’d be willing to give public figures a pass on most gaffes that often incite people but I think this one is particularly poor.
                                                                                                                          Was just wondering if there was an agreed term that I didn't know. I could see myself using normal in conversation without thinking and upsetting parents that I could end up running into at schools for the guts of 2 decades.

It wasn't a what else would you call them comment and I understand why it upset so many.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X