This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
    If there is new uk South African strains of this flu virus will the vaccine be effective anyone here not to keen on the vaccine? I think if you are elderly or have underlying medical conditions it should be taken healthy young seems a little wasteful. We are basically at war afraid to leave our houses and economy in tatters because of bat eating cunts from China .
    The medics have confirmed the vaccine should be effective on the UK, SA strains. I'd take it today if available to me.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Well it's a gradual thing. There was always a conservative movement in the US, of course there was.
      Today's iteration of the GOP has completely mutated away from 'traditional conservatism' though.

I mean, what do traditional conservatives stand for?
      Off the top of my head I'd say:
      1. Balanced Budgets. Yes, hilariously enough given the rampant deficits of the Trump and Bush Jnr eras, conservatives used to think about the public purse much as they did their own and would massively push back against anything that increased government spending.
      2. Federal overreach. Traditional conservatives would always have argued for states rights. And yes, sometimes this was code for 'treat your black citizens badly down South if that's what you want to do'.
      3. Quite often, they stood for, if not quite isolationism, then a more minimalist approach to foreign affairs
      4. Free Trade. Trump has too often meant protectionism, barriers, tarriffs.
      5. Respect for the laws of the land. Contrast with this insane push to overthrow the results of a free and fair election.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        On the vaccine. Do folk who've beat the virus get vaccinated?
        Hasn't been decided yet https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-39958690.html
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It says 9,000 children died in the institutions and it finds that mortality rates were very high in the period compared to the overall national rate of infant mortality.
          It said in the years before 1960 mother-and-baby homes did not save the lives of "illegitimate" children; in fact, they appear to have significantly reduced their prospects of survival.
          Thinking about this last night in the scratcher. The only conclusion I can draw is that the nuns were murdering the babies.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

They've changed their mind on this somewhat

They essentially created a shortage to pre-empt an actual one? Seems strange when time is at such a premium and a single dose providers a decent amount of protection.
            Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-01-21, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

They essentially created a shortage to pre-empt an actual one? Seems strange when time is at such a premium.
              Think there was more a fear a few weeks ago that if people didn't get their 2nd dose 21 days after the first, the whole job would be messed up. As the UK have decided to leave it up to 12 weeks between doses, the pressure to get it done after 3 weeks has eased.

Comment

On the vaccine. Do folk who've beat the virus get vaccinated?
                Yes antibodies are only known to last c. 6 months
                Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                If there is new uk South African strains of this flu virus will the vaccine be effective anyone here not to keen on the vaccine? .
                So far there is no indication that there are any mutations that would the vaccine will not been effective against it is possible that in time there will be and we may be getting updated Covid shots annually for ever.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

So far there is no indication that there are any mutations that would the vaccine will not been effective against it is possible that in time there will be and we may be getting updated Covid shots annually for ever.
                  sure put it in the water to really piss off the anti-vaxxers

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Multiple NBA players have tested positive twice now. Quite a bit about it in recent days as teams have become short handed quickly.
                    They first started testing approx 9 months ago and are tested via quick test every day and PCR a couple of times a week.

Comment

Some genius

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        New 10 part mini-series called 'Your Honor' with Bryan Cranston as one of the leads.Really strong opening couple of episodes.
                        Was that worth sticking with? watched E01 and am in two minds about whether to commit. Was well done in places but maybe a bit too slow and the writing a bit basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

this will make my daughter feel better about forgetting the password to her tablet and having to do a factory reset

There absolutely must be firms that could crack this?
                          If anyone could break 256bit AES then they could probably break Bitcoin itself.

What he'd need to do is buy the manufacturer of the device using private equity on the basis of his claim and get the private key for the firmware of the device.

Unfortunately the manufacturer is Kingston who have annual revenues of $10b.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Let's indulge in other people's problems for a moment.

So you're a dyed-in-the-wool Conservative Republican Congressman from Buttfuck, Indiana. Your voters are by and large white evangelicals who love God, guns and Donald J Trump.

When the vote calling on Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment comes up today, what do you do and why?
                            Interesting reporting that GOP Congressmen\women will not be whipped for tomorrow's impeachment vote i.e. they can vote their conscience.

It'll be interesting to see how many Ayes this garners. I vote 3. Out of 211.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

What he'd need to do is buy the manufacturer of the device using private equity on the basis of his claim and get the private key for the firmware of the device.

NSA backdoor would be a better bet

I thought I'd bricked a HSM today tore myself a bald batch before I figured out how to ressurect it, phew!

Comment

Impeachment gathers GOP pace. Will he resign ? I would .

Comment

It's not easy to imagine you in that situation!

He should double down at this stage, what does he have to lose?

Comment

I felt very ignorant today. Someone said to me that we will still have to wear masks even with vaccinations as vaccination doesn't stop you from having and transmitting Covid, it only stops you getting ill. "Huh?" says I. Checked it out and they haven't a notion yet whether it stops you from transmitting it to people.

The meek shall inherit the earth. All those smugly thinking "Sure I'd probably be grand if I got it, I'm younger and healthy" could be living in a world later this year where a huge percentage of the population has been vaccinated and are swanning around with the virus while they cower in basements avoiding geriatrics and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                      I felt very ignorant today. Someone said to me that we will still have to wear masks even with vaccinations as vaccination doesn't stop you from having and transmitting Covid, it only stops you getting ill. "Huh?" says I. Checked it out and they haven't a notion yet whether it stops you from transmitting it to people.

The meek shall inherit the earth. All those smugly thinking "Sure I'd probably be grand if I got it, I'm younger and healthy" could be living in a world later this year where a huge percentage of the population has been vaccinated and are swanning around with the virus while they cower in basements avoiding geriatrics and the like.
                                      That's true, I think.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Yup.

This isn't a vaccine as we know them. This is a keep people out of hospital shot. Game changer.

My bubble is in a position where my son and my da can't get the vaccine and are vulnerable . Looking at the maths of it we'd probably be better off without it. The window of potentially spreading it is smaller if you're symptomatic compared to the 10 days unknowingly spreading it if vaccinated.

I run good.

​​
                                        ​​​​​​

​​​​
                                        ​​​​​
                                        ​​​​

Comment

What’s the general consensus on new phones at the minute? I have an s8 that’s still functional but is definitely beginning to slow down. I sold my last upgrade so I guess I have this 3+ years now

I’m due an upgrade and made the mistake of asking for a work phone instead of having them pay my bill.

Is 5g worth anything in Ireland yet? I see that it’s a little extra for 5g with a provider so getting close to 60e a month

iPhone 12 or S20 seems to be winning the reviews but an S21 appears to be dropping this month.

Comment

No way he resigns.

Mitch McConnell seems to be making offstage noises about impeachment, which implies that the required super-majority in the Senate might have moved from 'impossible' to 'very unlikely'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Is this correct? My understanding was that the vaccine was a protein inhibitor rather than a live shot of the dose?

Covered here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1610528147886

“The concern instead with the COVID-19 vaccine is about whether you might still have an asymptomatic infection despite immunization — without symptoms, but able to shed virus.

Here's how that might work: Let's say you've been vaccinated and you encounter SARS-CoV-2. You're much less likely to develop symptoms — that's clear. But your immune system may not fight off the virus completely — it might allow some viruses to survive and reproduce and get expelled from your nose or mouth in a breath, cough or sneeze. Remember: No one can be sure yet if this actually happens or if it happens often enough that you'd be emitting enough active virus to sicken someone else.“

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

“The concern instead with the COVID-19 vaccine is about whether you might still have an asymptomatic infection despite immunization — without symptoms, but able to shed virus.

Here's how that might work: Let's say you've been vaccinated and you encounter SARS-CoV-2. You're much less likely to develop symptoms — that's clear. But your immune system may not fight off the virus completely — it might allow some viruses to survive and reproduce and get expelled from your nose or mouth in a breath, cough or sneeze. Remember: No one can be sure yet if this actually happens or if it happens often enough that you'd be emitting enough active virus to sicken someone else.“
                                                can they put some numbers on that instead of words like 'might' and 'could'? I'd rather they said nothing instead of the above BS

Comment

I think the FBI\other law investigations into last Weds are going to throw up some truly remarkable connections between the rioters\insurrectionists\general morons and people in power (like actively aiding and abetting the more organised militia-style loons in what happened). My suspicion is that is why McConnell has flipped on Trump, he wants to get out ahead of these facts emerging.

(even if not true, would be a good movie script )

Comment

Comment

The future of the GOP seems interesting. Trump seems to want to take a few down with him could a 3rd party emerge diluting the conservatives ? Would this give the DEMS a huge advantage going forward . What is going to happen in Raouls movie ? Big day ahead in this clusterfuck.

Extremists like to push until they fall off the cliff

Comment

The future of the GOP seems interesting. Trump seems to want to take a few down with him could a 3rd party emerge diluting the conservatives ? Would this give the DEMS a huge advantage going forward . What is going to happen in Raouls movie ? Big day ahead in this clusterfuck.

Extremists like to push until they fall off the cliff
                                                        Tom Friedman has a good opinion piece in the NYT on this.

Basically he says there are now four types of Republicans:
                                                        1. Principled Conservatives (Romney, Murkowski etc). They were never really onboard with Trump and are probably the closest thing the GOP has to a conscience these days.
                                                        2. Cynically tactical Conservatives - McConnell being the prime example. They held their noses and used Trump to further their agenda, Supreme Court packing being #1.
                                                        3. Unprincipled Republicans. Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley etc - they will do whatever it takes, including riding the Trumo train for all it's worth, to attain power for themselves.
                                                        4. MAGAnuts. True believers, militia wannabe soldiers, QAnon loons. They will believe anything Trump tells them.
                                                        You could quite easily see the 1s and 2s coalescing back into a more mainstream version of the GOP and repudiating Trumpism. The 3s need to be dealt with severely (and I suspect some of them will be done so via the law as it becomes apparent that they actively conspired in last Wednesday's events).

The 4s are irredeemable but maybe if Trump can be taken down with such finality and in such disgrace, then they can be properly marginalised....

Comment

I think the FBI\other law investigations into last Weds are going to throw up some truly remarkable connections between the rioters\insurrectionists\general morons and people in power (like actively aiding and abetting the more organised militia-style loons in what happened). My suspicion is that is why McConnell has flipped on Trump, he wants to get out ahead of these facts emerging.

(even if not true, would be a good movie script )
                                                          Totally agree. I suspect there must be a rent-a-mob element too it. Will be interesting to see where they end up when they start to follow the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Totally agree. I suspect there must be a rent-a-mob element too it. Will be interesting to see where they end up when they start to follow the money.
                                                            Seems to be talk that one of the newer Q following congresswoman gave a guided tour of capitol the day before the riot to people who showed up next day, also rumours of a congresswoman attempting to alert people to Pelosi,s whereabouts during the riot

Comment

Trump is at 34% approval.

Nixon was 24% when he resigned...

Comment

Mikie Sherrill suggesting that some were brought on recon tours prior to the event by GOP lawmakers:https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-attack-458655

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

The guy isn’t a random Joe.
                                                                  He was involved with the start of Ripple. Became CTO very early and was presumably involve in their XRP crypto scam. So no sympathy on that basis.

But would he need to buy Kingston. Couldn’t he just pay the owners $20m to do the above.

Comment

But If you didn’t get vaccinated you’d still pick it up and still spread it.
                                                                    Getting vaccinated shouldn’t increase risk for other people, unless your behaviour changes to be be more risky.

Once you get the full dose your immune system should be suppressing your viral load to reduce risk of passing on any virus you pick up.

Comment

This Matt Hancock bit is quite something. Makes Stephen Donnelly seem not so bad.

Comment

Mikie Sherrill suggesting that some were brought on recon tours prior to the event by GOP lawmakers:https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-attack-458655
                                                                        Jesus, imagine if that was true.

Seems like several news sources are hinting at that right now too. CNN interviewing a Dem Congresswoman right now who's saying just as much.

Comment

Jesus, imagine if that was true.

Seems like several news sources are hinting at that right now too. CNN interviewing a Dem Congresswoman right now who's saying just as much.
                                                                          Perhaps if proven it may be what is required for impeachment. Never happening before inauguration but potentially enough to get it over the line afterwards.

Listening to something this morning and it mentioned in order for the banning for federal office to occur, the majority of legal experts feel impeachment would need to occur first even though its a majority vs 2/3 majority.

Also, pretty surprisingly one the guests thinks that Dems & Biden especially will actually be trying to distance themselves from this and it won't be a major part of the 2024 ticket.

Comment

My brother in law was tested as positive over the Christmas, he has two kids, so everyone in the household got tested and they all came back negative and still are. How is this possible if it’s so infectious? Now my theory was a LOT of the population have got this virus already last year unbeknownst to themselves and as it was mild never got tested. Similarly with my Niece , nobody in her family has it and yet she contracted it. Lives closely with her family and all negative. Maybe you can probably get reinfected but it impacts you very minimally . Now who knows how many people actually caught this last year and are out the other side of it. If we could have some test that detects this (I know there was an antibody test proved unreliable) we could move a long way towards lifting these lockdowns. The obsessive reliance of an urgent vaccination roll out would abate if we knew some people didn’t have an urgency for it. Just shooting the breeze here as I’m mystified how my brother in laws family and my nieces family still remain unaffected despite as much exposure to it as you can have. Meh

Comment

What’s the general consensus on new phones at the minute? I have an s8 that’s still functional but is definitely beginning to slow down. I sold my last upgrade so I guess I have this 3+ years now

I’m due an upgrade and made the mistake of asking for a work phone instead of having them pay my bill.

Is 5g worth anything in Ireland yet? I see that it’s a little extra for 5g with a provider so getting close to 60e a month

iPhone 12 or S20 seems to be winning the reviews but an S21 appears to be dropping this month.
                                                                              Unless you live under a 5G mast but it will get more useful as coverage increases. You're probably tied to iPhone or Samsung if it's for work as they generally link best with MDM systems (enterprise mobile device management). iPhone 12 and S20 are both 5G so you're future proofed anyway. I've an S9 through work as well, waiting on S21 for when new FY rolls over.

Comment

Also, pretty surprisingly one the guests thinks that Dems & Biden especially will actually be trying to distance themselves from this and it won't be a major part of the 2024 ticket.
                                                                                Well, they want the GOP to self-purge rather than have it forced on them....

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Is this correct? My understanding was that the vaccine was a protein inhibitor rather than a live shot of the dose?
                                                                                  They just don't know yet. Hopefully it isn't but the better safe than sorry line at the moment is you're infectious but don't get sick. The lack of coughing your guts up must help but still, rather catch myself feeling ill and hide than spread it unknowingly for ages.

Comment

Comment

GOP House argument against impeachment seems to boil down to:
                                                                                      • "it would be divisive"
                                                                                      • "there's no point 'coz Trump will be gone in a week"
                                                                                      By that argument, they shouldn't have bothered with the Nuremburg Trials.

Comment

GOP House argument against impeachment seems to boil down to:
                                                                                        • "it would be divisive"
                                                                                        • "there's no point 'coz Trump will be gone in a week"
                                                                                        By that argument, they shouldn't have bothered with the Nuremburg Trials.
                                                                                        When I was a young fella you were supposed to want to be divided from fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

When I was a young fella you were supposed to want to be divided from fascists
                                                                                          Next genius arguing against impeachment says the Dems should 'put people before politics'.

Comment

My brother in law was tested as positive over the Christmas, he has two kids, so everyone in the household got tested and they all came back negative and still are. How is this possible if it’s so infectious? Now my theory was a LOT of the population have got this virus already last year unbeknownst to themselves and as it was mild never got tested. Similarly with my Niece , nobody in her family has it and yet she contracted it. Lives closely with her family and all negative. Maybe you can probably get reinfected but it impacts you very minimally . Now who knows how many people actually caught this last year and are out the other side of it. If we could have some test that detects this (I know there was an antibody test proved unreliable) we could move a long way towards lifting these lockdowns. The obsessive reliance of an urgent vaccination roll out would abate if we knew some people didn’t have an urgency for it. Just shooting the breeze here as I’m mystified how my brother in laws family and my nieces family still remain unaffected despite as much exposure to it as you can have. Meh
                                                                                            My thoughts exactly. My wife was not sick after living in the same house as me, my friend who was much sicker than me has a wife and two kids and none of them were infected. My wife even got the antibody test weeks later and that was negative. I don't get how it is so infectious and rampant if its not picked up sharing the same house.

Comment

The virus being mildly infectious would explain the massive spike in cases in the UK and Israel at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post

My thoughts exactly. My wife was not sick after living in the same house as me, my friend who was much sicker than me has a wife and two kids and none of them were infected. My wife even got the antibody test weeks later and that was negative. I don't get how it is so infectious and rampant if its not picked up sharing the same house.
                                                                                                What's your wife's star sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                  The virus being mildly infectious would explain the massive spike in cases in the UK and Israel at the moment!
                                                                                                  I think, with all the available data, we can deduce only that Mrs Eoghan104 is made of sterner stuff than Mr Eoghan104.

Comment

Friend /wife/ daughter - all got it from daughter
                                                                                                    Brother/wife/ son /daughter- all got it from the brother
                                                                                                    Friend - very mild symptoms- her son- sick as a dog (both had the same symptoms, hers mild and his far worse back in Feb but didnt know what it was then)

So go figure.

Most ok as far as I know now but got word today cousin on a ventilator and it's not looking good.

Comment

I think, with all the available data, we can deduce only that Mrs Eoghan104 is made of sterner stuff than Mr Eoghan104.
                                                                                                      I've heard of a few cases like this.

MrsDP's Cousin and husband live with her parents
                                                                                                      Cousin, Mother, Father all riddled with the 'rona
                                                                                                      Husband who looks to be the phyisical ideal candidate for infection is swanning around virus free.

A mate's brother live with his gf.
                                                                                                      She has it and he took two weeks off work to spend the days riding with her (his words)and never tested positive.

There has to be something beyond pure luck in these cases
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

She has it and he took two weeks off work to spend the days riding with her (his words)and never tested positive.
                                                                                                        PlaguePlay - thats a new one!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I've heard of a few cases like this.

MrsDP's Cousin and husband live with her parents
                                                                                                          Cousin, Mother, Father all riddled with the 'rona
                                                                                                          Husband who looks to be the phyisical ideal candidate for infection is swanning around virus free.

There has to be something beyond pure luck in these cases
                                                                                                          Probably caught it in the first wave but were asymptomatic.

Comment

Probably caught it in the first wave but were asymptomatic.
                                                                                                            But wouldn't the whole household have caught it first time round then wombat you dolt.

Comment

The best thing that could happen right now:
                                                                                                              1. House impeaches (with a handful of Republicans signing on)
                                                                                                              2. Further (appalling) details come out in the interim between the impeachment and the Senate trial. Not that they should be needed but anything else helps.
                                                                                                              3. The GOP No-voters get exposed for what they are
                                                                                                              4. The Senate votes Yes - with Mitch McConnell leading the way

Comment

Are any of the restaurant home kits worth doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                  After several months of IPB being banned through my work VPN I seem to be able to access it again. I wonder how that happens.
                                                                                                                  I think its a consequence of your IT dept enabling Zoom, Skype, Webex meetings and certain websites etc so you get in the back door with other sites previously blocked.

Comment

We tried DropChef and it was very decent dishes, but just way too much work to prepare the meals.

Comment

Not seen any good ones really.

Boojum contacted me to send me their vegan home kit. Turns out they wrap their vegan home kit in wool for insulation.
                                                                                                                      I sure home somebody gets fired for that blunder.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                        This Matt Hancock bit is quite something. Makes Stephen Donnelly seem not so bad.

If Mark from Peep Show was a politician.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

We tried DropChef and it was very decent dishes, but just way too much work to prepare the meals.
                                                                                                                          That guy barely let you get a word in!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X