Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish RTE left George Lee and Fergal Bowers in 2020.

Comment

THOUSANDS of Republicans in America have received a strange friend request on Facebook from someone called Donáil O’Truimpaigh, mere hours after the social media platform blocked the similarly-sounding Donald Trump for a violation of their …

Comment

Poking randomly around Prime for something to watch, there's The Gambler, that documentary about John O'Shea. And there's Keane of course. Are any of you on anything on Netflix that I can watch too?

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            Poking randomly around Prime for something to watch, there's The Gambler, that documentary about John O'Shea. And there's Keane of course. Are any of you on anything on Netflix that I can watch too?
            Best line by a mile in the whole thing is Chubb saying 'Drogba always scores in the big games' immediately after Drogba scored and about a million quid drained out of the room.

I made a gif out of my own well captured facepalm and used to use it on boards trying to be meta, I might see if I can dig it out.

Comment

Vaccine scepticism among medics sparks alarm in Europe and US
              via The Irish Times

wonder where all these people were exposed to anti-vax ideas??

Comment

Looking at the current case numbers makes grim reading. A few hundred people have killed their relatives and don't know it yet :-/
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Fair play to the teachers unions , dead right and a great victory over a really stupid idea

Comment

Pelosi calling for Trump's immediate removal is really smart politics - the ultimate win/win/win. Dems literally win no matter what.
                    1. Pence and Cabinet remove Trump - split GOP between Trump loyalists and others.
                    2. Pence and Cabinet don't remove Trump Dems impeach - force Congressional Republicans to take a stand, split GOP.
                    Win. So much winning.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Pelosi calling for Trump's immediate removal is really smart politics - the ultimate win/win/win. Dems literally win no matter what.
                      1. Pence and Cabinet remove Trump - split GOP between Trump loyalists and others.
                      2. Pence and Cabinet don't remove Trump Dems impeach - force Congressional Republicans to take a stand, split GOP.
                      Win. So much winning.
                      Time is the problem though.

Comment

Win. So much winning.
                        The Republicunts need to twist the knife if they are to have any chance of moving away from being part of the Trump brand for the next two decades. I don't think they are organised enough or have the balls to do it.

IMO the person most damaged by this is the daughter he wants to fuck, I'm not saying she can't ever get elected but she has about 10% of the chance she had before yestterday. Wichever way it plays out he's not going to be gone until someone finds the moral courage to eliminate him as a factor.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Everyone’s favourite elected Republican chiming in on Trump:
                          https://www.economist.com/by-invitat...ust-stop-trump

Unfortunately he didn’t close with “I’ll Be Back” but he did manage to sneak in a Terminator reference so happy enough

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Time is the problem though.
                            It doesn't matter if he gets ejected now or on the 20th. Practically speaking. In fact, I'm pretty sure neither ejection route could happen in time. It's all about getting Republicans to take a stand.

Comment

Laughed too much at this

Comment

...2024 US election- Harris at 9/2, Biden at 5/1 and somehow Trump 3rd favourite at 8/1,,,Kamela Harris at 9/2 is surely unreal value for the 2024 election?... Biden will be 82- too old to go for it, if still alive.. Think he already said he will be only going for 1 term... Republicans have gone backwards, and reckon it'll take more than a term to get back to pre trump...

Comment

BBC just referred to the President Elect and The resident Reject
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Win. So much winning.
                                    Not really they still needs to govern the shitstorm in a few weeks. A good transition won’t happen but the best they can hope for is the gop or atleast part of it legitimising Biden. Which is happening finally.

Dragging trump out of the whitehouse will cause civil unrest on a fairly unprecedented scale in the us.

You could end up with thousands of heavily armed lunatics in every major city.

As distasteful as it is the dems are best off standing aside and letting the gop deal with this. They have to or no swing voter will turn red for decades.

Time to get off the soap boxes and back to politics.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                        If I ordered and paid for something on a UK website on 2nd of December, merchant was out of stock at the time, but still took the funds and got an email to say they would ship when back in stock. Goods were sent on 29/12 according to them, I've been told I have to pay a customs charge now, that can't be right?
                                        On a related note: I mentioned on here that I was buying a suit from Moss Bros. Ended up buying it just before new year. Cost £259. Only got a notice it was shipped today. Am I going to be screwed on that attempt to undercut the Irish Moss Bros website?
                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                          ...2024 US election- Harris at 9/2, Biden at 5/1 and somehow Trump 3rd favourite at 8/1,,,Kamela Harris at 9/2 is surely unreal value for the 2024 election?... Biden will be 82- too old to go for it, if still alive.. Think he already said he will be only going for 1 term... Republicans have gone backwards, and reckon it'll take more than a term to get back to pre trump...
                                          Its going to be really hard for Kamala to be elected I think. She's just so obviously Californian in an exuberant way thats not going to go down well with the more negative states. She's also a person of a colour and a person of gender. I'd say she would be great - think shes fantastic from the bit I've seen of her, but it won't be all that easy. Now - will her odds dramatically narrow - absafuckinglootly, so that seems like an amazing price for eventual trading and its only three years away.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                            that is insane.

I just read a police officer died after the riot, making it 5 casualties. I reckon they are all under 50 though, so unlikely to be grandfathers.

Comment

An interesting new series - Coyote - just started. With a charismatic front man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

On a related note: I mentioned on here that I was buying a suit from Moss Bros. Ended up buying it just before new year. Cost £259. Only got a notice it was shipped today. Am I going to be screwed on that attempt to undercut the Irish Moss Bros website?
                                                There is no customs duty on products made in the UK and delivered to Ireland or any other EU country, but it also may depend on where they bought their materials from.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/bu...er-brexit.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

There is no customs dutyon products made in the UK and delivered to Ireland or any other EU country.
                                                  Ahhhhhh.

Comment

See my edit above, did they buy cheapo chinese material to make it? :P

Comment

She's also a person of a colour and a person of gender.
                                                      Person of gender? Since when has male stopped being a gender?
                                                      Can we not just say she’s a women?

Comment

How many persons not of gender are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          You never hear the phrase 'gender bender' anymore, I remember that getting flung around in the 80s. Ah, the 80s....a simpler time.

Comment

Not sure but the term would be agender for those who don’t have a gender.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

so they would have an agender agenda?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Not really they still needs to govern the shitstorm in a few weeks. A good transition won’t happen but the best they can hope for is the gop or atleast part of it legitimising Biden. Which is happening finally.

Dragging trump out of the whitehouse will cause civil unrest on a fairly unprecedented scale in the us.

You could end up with thousands of heavily armed lunatics in every major city.

As distasteful as it is the dems are best off standing aside and letting the gop deal with this. They have to or no swing voter will turn red for decades.

Time to get off the soap boxes and back to politics.
                                                                It's politics. Dems need to step on the neck of the GOP when they're down. Just cast your mind back a few weeks and consider how they rammed through Barrett onto the Supreme Court.

The 2022 races (and arguably the 2024 ones) started the day after the 2020 election.

Biden can do the nice unifying kindly grandfather speechy stuff. But the Dems need to drive a stake through the heart of this current incarnation of the GOP and take full advantage of their current psychotic state.

Comment

You never hear the phrase 'gender bender' anymore, I remember that getting flung around in the 80s. Ah, the 80s....a simpler time.
                                                                  Well you sure proved them wrong. Wife , kiddies . Raoul is no gender bender , the 80s were wrong .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Well you sure proved them wrong. Wife , kiddies . Raoul is no gender bender , the 80s were wrong .
                                                                    didn't realise there was actually a Gender Bender movie. 6.6 on IMDB which is kind of the 'not bad' range.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

What does Hitch have against non-binary people then? If not being non-binary is a positive for Harris, then I'm guessing being non-binary is a negative?

Tis all very tricky really. This wordsmithing.

Comment

just thought person of gender was a humourous phrase given the phrase person of colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                          See my edit above, did they buy cheapo chinese material to make it? :P
                                                                          The finest Italian cloth is what they claim

Comment

how many people not of skin colour are there, and yet here we are with the phrase 'person of colour' - which is apparently now the preferred phrase for non white people.

Comment

It's politics. Dems need to step on the neck of the GOP when they're down. Just cast your mind back a few weeks and consider how they rammed through Barrett onto the Supreme Court.
                                                                              Including the supposed rightwing 'okay' folk - Romney and Susan Collins.

Comment

how many people not of skin colour are there, and yet here we are with the phrase 'person of colour' - which is apparently now the preferred phrase for non white people.
                                                                                Nope. My Asian colleagues would not appreciate it being used as a descriptor of them. If it means "Non-White" but is ambiguous and confusing, why not use "Non-White" (or probably more accurately "not Caucasian")as your description? What advantage does it construe that makes up for that ambiguity?

It's a term that's used exclusively in sociology departments in the USA. Leave it there!!
                                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 08-01-21, 12:25. Reason: Maybe exactly not this , never mind more accurately!

Comment

Lads and lassies - did many people use a mortgage broker when buying in Dublin? I'm thinking about moving in the coming year, and would like to get mortgage approval sorted. Previously we did it ourselves for our first purchase but am lazier/shorter on time now and happy to go the broker route. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                    Lads and lassies - did many people use a mortgage broker when buying in Dublin? I'm thinking about moving in the coming year, and would like to get mortgage approval sorted. Previously we did it ourselves for our first purchase but am lazier/shorter on time now and happy to go the broker route. Would appreciate any recommendations.
                                                                                    We almost sealed our mortgage with a broker before being offered a ridiculous long term rate that we couldn't turn down.

We found them very helpful and they often have their own mortgage exceptions if you require one.

As far as I'm aware there is no cost on your side in terms of mortgage rate but may be an upfront consultation fee.

I found it quite helpful but not sure if there is more/less value as a non-FTB.

Comment

It's a term that's used exclusively in sociology departments in the USA. Leave it there!!
                                                                                      Nah it's quite prevalent these days. It won't last long as an acceptable term, as they never do, just needs turning into an acronym "Go back to your own country ya bleedin' poc."

Comment

Nope. My Asian colleagues would not appreciate it being used as a descriptor of them. If it means "Non-White" but is ambiguous and confusing, why not use "Non-White" (or probably more accurately "not Caucasian")as your description? What advantage does it construe that makes up for that ambiguity?

I might be wrong, but I think the preferred phrase is genuinely person of colour - indeed its so common that people just say POC. Would be happy to be educated otherwise if thats not the case!

Non-white seems objectively worse and sounds quite insulting.

I would suggest you are assuming what your Asian colleagues would and would not appreciate and you haven't actually had this conversation with them.

Comment

I think the phrase is pretty stupid by the way.

Comment

Just did it myself; pretty straightforward to work out which offering suits you best without inserting some piranha fish into the equation

Comment

And I don't understand how most Asian people, such as Chinese, don't count as white, given they clearly have white skin.

Comment

And I don't understand how most Asian people, such as Chinese, don't count as white, given they clearly have white skin.
                                                                                                I don't think they think that way! You gweilo!

Comment

Ken is currently sorting out 3/4 of my friends. We're a bit complicated as I'm still paid in GBP so have gone a different route.

Very well recommended though!

Comment

The only true white people I've ever seen where my mates in the Goat Grill bar in 1999 when Solskjaer stabbed in the winner .

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Nah it's quite prevalent these days. It won't last long as an acceptable term, as they never do, just needs turning into an acronym "Go back to your own country ya bleedin' poc."
                                                                                                      Tis in it's hoop. I've heard people say "geebag" aloud more in the last year than this phrase.

(note, have been working from home and pretty much isolating for a year, so a pretty bad year to test)

Comment

Didn't think we would get around to discussing the ins and outs of the Kimye split.
                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Raoul Duke III saw this and obv thought of you: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...book-1.4439378

Comment

Tis in it's hoop. I've heard people say "geebag" aloud more in the last year than this phrase.

(note, have been working from home and pretty much isolating for a year, so a pretty bad year to test)
                                                                                                            I know this looney owns a bar in New York. I've heard him say to oblivious New Yorkers. Howz yer GEE ?
                                                                                                            He gets away with murder. His mother once asked me if I knew his email address . NO. I do not know it (eatgee was in the name ). Bit of a Donald unfortunately.

Comment

I musr be one of the few renters left here at this stage.

Speaking of which, moved this year, at realised at winter time that we've very much not living in a A rated place.

Got some mould appearing recently. Cleaned it up. But is a dehumidifier worth getting? Kinda hoping it won't be an issue once weather gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                I musr be one of the few renters left here at this stage.

Speaking of which, moved this year, at realised at winter time that we've very much not living in a A rated place.

Got some mould appearing recently. Cleaned it up. But is a dehumidifier worth getting? Kinda hoping it won't be an issue once weather gets better.

I do both!!!

Me and Mrs Lao Lao rent and I pay the mortgage on my house where my Dad lives rent free.

It's win/win, just for other people and not me

I'd highly recommend it

Comment

Should I take Trump in my 2021 celeb Deadpool?
                                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Learner Permit arrived in the post today. A proud day!

Comment

have you purchased yourself an automobile to accompany this fine new possession?

Comment

No longer a hitchhiker.

Comment

In light of your questionable knowledge of pronouns you should be cognizant of your wording when buying a car.

Make sure to refer to the car as "her" at all times.

Example of a question you might ask: So when was the timing belt done on her?

This will definitely make a seller think you know what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X